Speaker 1: Oh good everyone. It's Craig, Anthony, Harpert, Tiffany and cook at David Bryan Gillespie. We should really learn his middle name at some stage in the future so I can be somewhat accurate. TIF, how are you going? You finished eating lunch about seven seconds ago.
Speaker 2: I'm still eating it, bro, I'm still eating it.
Speaker 1: What are you shoving in?
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of a little bit of a like a chucky moose, just a little snack to stop me from getting angry mid gilespo episode.
Speaker 1: Nobody needs that. No, no, we definitely don't. And what a wonderful choice chocolate moose in the middle of the day. I mean, surely if that's not the height of nutritional honey performance.
Speaker 2: Hey, what could I say? I'm just you know, bowles of kale and avocado all over the place.
Speaker 1: I think you've told me this before. But being the efficionado of chocolate that I know anyway, what's the number one and two for you in terms of not necessarily the fanciest or the most expensive, but just that you like the most.
Speaker 2: I've been I've been on the old gold lately. Just this deard old old gold.
Speaker 1: That's your basic that's your running the mill. Ron Harper eats that you and Noms could get together have an old Gold party.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you has Old Jamaica. Though you know I spend an obscene amount of money on the what's it called ceremonial grade cockow for my hot chocolates? That cow cockow so expensive, But you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds it sounds like a raught. But what is I mean? I'm sure I'm the only one who doesn't know, but ceremonial grade cockow doesn't really what does that mean? I don't know.
Speaker 2: If they're just great marketing and I'm spending I'm paying through the nose for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, hell gless, but that'll be. That'll be on buddy substack next week. Ceremonial grade ceremonial grade cockw cock cow Do you have giless? Buddy? You eat chocolate or no?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do eat chocolate, but not not commercial chocolate.
Speaker 4: One of my daughters is very very good at making chocolate with dextros rather than sugar, and so she hand makes it.
Speaker 3: I don't think she uses ceremonial grade cocal though.
Speaker 4: I think she just buys Woolworths grade cockw.
Speaker 1: Does it taste like normal chocolate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it tastes exactly like normal chocolate.
Speaker 4: So there's absolutely no reason to poison yourself just to eat chocolate.
Speaker 1: And so there's no there's no comparable commercial equivalent of what she makes.
Speaker 3: There is, but you can only buy it in Germany.
Speaker 4: So there seems to be for some reason, an enormous market for froctose free chocolate in Germany, and there's a manufacturer there who makes a lot of it. So whenever you're in Germany, you can always pick up a burrow of chocolate there, but no one imports it to Australia, so you have to make it yourself.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite, both of you, if you could, we'll get to the actual show in a minute, but if you could have a cheap food if you probably don't care because you've got veins on your fucking and eyebrows. So, and I've never seen Gillespie. I think he's actually some kind of cyborg. But imagine if I saw gilespo and he just looked like Brad Pitt and he had abs on his eyelids, and ow, I'd have to.
Speaker 3: It's actually what I look like exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite cheap food? Tip? Like, if you could have a food whatever it was, that that magically didn't have any calories or negative impact, but you could scoff it once a week, what would that be?
Speaker 2: You say it like, I don't do that. That's not It's.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, Well forget the the precursor. What's your favorite binge food other than chocolate?
Speaker 2: Other than chocolate, pistachio cookies from the cookie Hey there cookie up the road?
Speaker 1: Do you have the binge gialspow?
Speaker 3: Not really?
Speaker 4: I mean I have a favorite food. There's probably two. I really like hot chips, yeah, and I don't mind the occasional bowl of ice cream.
Speaker 1: Hot chips are kind of like there's a really broad from the big fat wedges which you dip a little bit of sour cream on or whatever, to the skinny fries which are kind of disgusting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I prefer the sort of the in between ones, you oldie traditional Australian hot chip shop chips, you know, the sort of medium sized ones and.
Speaker 1: They come out and they look a bit yellow and they're cooked in vegetablel.
Speaker 4: No, we don't do that, cook them in tallow a bit and makes them very nice.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if anyone anything.
Speaker 4: I came across a restaurant the other day, I'll give them a bit of a plug on your show, because I think I like to encourage this sort of behavior. I was in Sydney and I went to a place called twenty four York and it is remarkably inexpenser for a steak restaurant. And they have a menu which is very straightforward. It's steak and only one kind. The only choice you get it whether or not to have an extra side, to have a side slid with it, and it comes with bottomless chips cooked in tallow.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what you need. So I don't know everybody needs that, but a one off can't hurt.
Speaker 3: I like the concept of bottomless chips. I mean they give you such an enormous.
Speaker 4: Amount anyway that I didn't actually take advantage of that, but I know people who.
Speaker 1: Would some there. Someone can go there with a friend and just share, so the friend to eat the stakes out bottom Yeah yeah, yeah, that's what if we just sit there for four hours reordering chips.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't like that experience because I've got no self control, so that just the idea of that almost piques my anxiety uncontrolled, unsupervised chip.
Speaker 4: But the big thing about it from my perspective was not the nice way of doing a menu, which keeps it really simple. It was the fact that the chips cooked in tellow so I genuinely could eat as many chips as I wanted, Not that I wanted that many, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked the idea. And all of that was for like twenty four bucks, which I think is a bargain.
Speaker 1: That is very cheap. And for the seven people who've been living under a rock and do not know why tallow and chips are acceptable on the Gillespie protocol, just remind us why that's okay.
Speaker 4: So, the dangerous thing about chips is when they're cooked in seed oils, and almost all chips in Australia now are cooked in seed oils because the Heart Foundation has been running around forcing people to do it. McDonald's sorry. The last major chain to switch from animal fat to seed oil was a KFC who did it in twenty twelve. McDonald's did it in two thousand and four where they switched from animal fat to seed oils. Now, if they'd stuck with animal fat. I'd be telling you it's perfectly fine to go and eat your chips at McDonald's because animal fat is very very low in the Amiga six fats, which are quiteangerous for us unfortunately.
Speaker 3: See it.
Speaker 4: Oil is a chock full of them, and so you're really doing it yourself and your children and your grandchildren an enormous amount of harm every time you have anything in that stuff.
Speaker 1: You have you I mean, we're going to talk about well, we're going to talk about a few things, but before we go there, have you ever kind of I know you're always analyzing the habits and behaviors and patterns of Australians and beyond, but you never looked at what like the typical ossie eight one hundred years ago and compared it to now just in terms of the nutritional value in micros and macros and calories, and like, what do you think in eighteen or nineteen twenty six, like a daily intake compared to now.
Speaker 4: There's not good data for Australians, but there is good data for Americans, which is probably a reasonable proxy. They've been measuring this sort of thing since nineteen oh nine. And if you have a look at the nineteen oh nine data for an American You mind it pretty surprising because they ate an awful lot of meat and eggs because breakfast cereal didn't exist or barely existed, or only for whack jobs. Who are you imprisoned in mental facilities? You know the story of why corn flax was invented? Right, people masturbating, And there's quite a story to that's just.
Speaker 1: Leaned in and opened her eyes this story.
Speaker 3: So there was there was a a church.
Speaker 2: So now you sound like a corn flake eater because you do a lot of stuttering.
Speaker 3: And I'm trying to remember the names.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get the names wrong, and I wasn't really prepared to be talking about this, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. Me if I'm wrong, Craig, is it Seventh day Adventist? I really don't want to get that wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll check you too, you to check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 4: So there was a church had a real problem with people eating meat as a because they felt that it increased the propensity to masturbation and other things, and so a part of their diet was that they had to come up with an alternative to what was then the standard American breakfast, which was basically meat and eggs, and they invented what we now call corn flakes, which was a vegetarian version of you know, the standard American breakfast. And so yeah, that's just check on that religion that I've got the right religion there.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to go. Yes, conflicts are strongly connected to the Seventh.
Speaker 4: Day a Day Adventist and one of their founders was one of the Kellogg brothers.
Speaker 1: That's right, yes, well two of them, invented by doctor John Harvey Kellogg and his brother will Keith Kellogg in the eighth nine. In the late nineteenth century, the brothers are working out Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan, USA, experimenting with foods for patients. In eighteen ninety four, they accidentally discovered that cooked wheat left sitting too long could be rolled into flakes. They later switched from wheat to corn, creating what became corn flakes. Well, what an interesting genesis that was for the old breakfast cereal.
Speaker 4: Hey, and now it's what we all have. We're all accidentally vegetarian for breakfast. But at the turn of the century, Americans, sorry, excuse me, Americans and presumably Australians, probably Australians were eating mostly cooked breakfasts, breakfasts for breakfast, cooked food for breakfasts, and wash.
Speaker 1: You never get tongue tied. I'm making a bloody reel out of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got a frobm a throat. Must have eaten too many frogs for breakas anyway, So the diet has changed fairly significantly because we've transitioned away from a diet which was largely centered around the idea that you have two main meals in a day, So an agricultural focused diet which was to give you a big, heavy meal for breakfast to keep you going when you're out in the fields all day, and then give you a follow up meal at nighttime when you came home. So there wasn't really any sort of a real sense of something called lunch, and we've sort of inserted that. As the Industrial Revolution took over and people started to have long shifts in factories, they sort of inserted a meal in the middle. But what's in those meals is quite interesting because it's transitioned away from a largely meat an egg based diet with vegetables. If you couldn't get meat and eggs into what would own be described if you were looking at it from their perspective. A vegetarian diet which is largely wheat based, flour based, bread based, that kind of thing, which is now the majority of the modern diet.
Speaker 1: Just remind me what the original intention was behind the corn flakes and the masturbation? What was it to reduce masturbation?
Speaker 4: Well, because they were vegetarian, so they had to have something that you could eat for breakfast that was vegetarian.
Speaker 1: What has that got to do with massive?
Speaker 4: Sorry they felt I know you're focusing on this, but.
Speaker 1: I just want to see if it worked out as a concept.
Speaker 4: They believed that meat inflame of the passions, so to speak, r and would cause you to indulge.
Speaker 3: A little bit more than would otherwise be the case.
Speaker 1: Right, So we're going to take it from a tasty meat based diet to corn flakes and that should take that.
Speaker 3: That's just sort that out.
Speaker 1: That should fix that quick sticks. Have you ever just out of interest how to look at One of my friends is a farmer, and he's always, not always, but talking about semi regularly about the quality of the soil and what things are grown in and the difference between something you know, a crop might be a good environment, might be good weather and all of that and good planning, but the soil's crap is our soil getting crapper and crapper and doing giving us poorer and poorer yields.
Speaker 3: Probably not. I mean, Australia starts really behind.
Speaker 4: The eight ball there because we've got the worst soil for growing stuff in in the world, all continent with bad soil with not much nutrients.
Speaker 3: So we're in a bad way.
Speaker 4: So we have to en nutrient, which we do with fertilizers to get the kind of production we have. But if you just step back and say, let's ignore the fact that we're pumping a lot of fertilized are into the soil, Australia's soil is probably better now than it's ever been because of all of that, right right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I want to touch on something you wrote. It's about five or six days ago, now, seven days ago, a week ago, the tech to meth pipeline. If you could give us a snapshot this. Every time Australia flushes, the truth comes out. And right now our sewers are spilling our darkest secrets. The latest national wastewater data is exposed an eleven billion dollar catastrophe Australians are quietly consuming. Listen to this tip, This fucking mind blowing five hundred and twenty three million hits of methan fetter many year, securing our grim title as the second highest consumer of the drug meth on Earth. But this story isn't about illegal drugs or organized crime. It's terrifying. Look at what happens when big tech breaks our brains, the medical system hits its legal limit, and the dopamine star population turns to the black market just to function. And here's a couple of stats. Australian's consumed, as it said, five and twenty three million doses of myth last year. That equates to roughly twenty hits for every single man, woman and child in the country. The illegal drug market is now worth fourteen point three billion, with meth accounting for eleven billion of that fourteen point three A technologically induced focus epidemic has driven unprecedented demand pharmaceutical stimulants. Strict legal limits on ADHD medications are inadvertently funneling desperate patients in to the black market. Because they can't get enough of what they want legally or by prescription, I guess. And the pipeline is fast tracking and general general sorry, generational mental health crisis and skyrocketing rates of permanent psychosis. So nothing at all to worry about, David.
Speaker 4: No, nothing to worry about at all. Let's start at the top with the report. So you and I think have talked about this before, that the National Crime Commission conducts this survey of our wastewater and has been doing it for quite some time. So they've got really high quality long term stats about not what we say we do, but what our toilets tell the Crime Commission we do. And so they know exactly what people are taking based on what chemicals are in the sewer system.
Speaker 3: And they're not the only ones. This is done all around the world.
Speaker 4: There's now twenty six countries involved in this, and so they've got really really accurate long term measurements of this.
Speaker 1: And I've got a new I've got a new title for you next article, a book. It's called Your Poo and you the great self, the Great Revealer of the bog.
Speaker 4: I mean, most people will be surprised that they do it, but they do, and the reason they do it is it's the only way you can get really statistically accurate information about illegal drugs, and so they measure for everything. But the one that's just absolutely blowing them away is meth. It's now responsible for eight out of every ten dollars spent on drugs in this country. It grew by twenty three percent in the last year. The consumption of myth grew by twenty three percent. That's never happened before in the history of this report. They normally get, you know, sometimes it goes up a little bit and sometimes it goes down a little bit, but this kind of absolute extreme growth and not just the you know, the others grew as well, heroin and cocaine, we're all up in the twenty percents as well, but to have something growing that fast to those levels, and like I said, now number two in the world for per capita consumption of myth. Number one is the United States, but we're giving them a run for their money. And that's a real concern because one in three meth users as a psychotic event. So psychotic events just so everyone knows, I mean, people throw those terms around without really understanding what they mean. A psychotic event means the person believes that the people around them are actively trying to harm them, and that it is perfectly acceptable to harm them in return to defend yourself. So a psychotic event is not nothing. It is a very dangerous thing to have occur and having people then it's not something that they can control. They genuinely believe that they are in danger and must do whatever it takes to defend themselves. So increasingly we hear about crimes being committed by people, and the crime is often described as some of the person was having a mental health episode, and usually what they mean is a psychotic event. So we are ramping up the number of people in our society exposed to drug that producers a psychotic event one in three times.
Speaker 3: That's dangerous. That is really dangerous.
Speaker 4: But the interesting thing from the perspective of someone who writes about mental health is why, why is this suddenly happening? Why in Australia we've always had access to meth, we've always had access to cocaine and heroin as illegal drugs. Why is it suddenly happening when we've got better and stronger law enforcement than we've ever had before. Better border controls than we've ever had before. What's causing this to happen? And I'm putting it together with something else in this article, which is I'm saying we've got another type of emfetamine drug which is exploding in use. Legally prescribed ampheta means for ADHD grew more than thirty percent in the last year, and more than thirty percent the year before that, and more than thirty percent the year before that. We are on a runaway train with legally prescribed and phetamines for ADHD. Yes, Now, as I said to you before, and some of your listeners will understand this, and I'll probably bored to death for the next minute or so, but let's just step back as to why ADHD people are being given amphetamines. Because it's sort of counter and churitor. You've got a kid bouncing off the walls. You don't sit to say to yourself, well, you know what that kid needs is a bit of speed.
Speaker 3: That's really going to help. But that's in fact how it works.
Speaker 4: So the reason that this works is that when you become addicted to something, which is what happens when you're programmatically addicted to social media, or gaming or gambling or anything else, nicotine, alcohol, anything. The level of dopamine required by your brain in order for you to function normally increases. You become you become immune the effects of dopamine, and you require more, and that chasing of more and more and more is what we call addiction. But that moving of the baseline level means that in order for you to just function, you need a massive dopamine hit. The fastest way to get that is to take an amphetamine, which is a dopamine stimulant. So that's what's happening in the illegal drug market, which is it's growing massively the number of stimulants. We're up to two hundred million doses a year of legal amphetamine doses. That's people being handed for their ADHD.
Speaker 1: One hundred million.
Speaker 4: Yes, so this is you know, it's still not a patch on the illegal market. But what happens is that once you're on that conveyor belt, the amphetamine hit makes things worse longer term because it also ratchets up you're required for dopamine. So you need a little bit more next time, in a little bit more next time, a little bit more next time. The trouble is doctors can't keep up in your dose of amphetamines because it's a dangerous thing to do.
Speaker 3: They're highly addictive.
Speaker 4: Drugs and they're not going they wouldn't be medically responsible to do it, and it is illegal.
Speaker 3: So there are strict prescription.
Speaker 4: Limits on how much amphetamine a doctor can give you for your ADHD, And when they hit those limits, you just don't suddenly get better. You're just told, unfortunately, I can't give you any more. And I believe that's what's driving the demand in the illegal meth amphetamine market, where we now have more than twice as much mess being sold illegally as we have amphetamines being sold legally. And by the way, I keep using the terms meth for illegal and antheta means for legal.
Speaker 3: They're twins. They're identical, twin cousins.
Speaker 4: Right, They're not exactly chemically the same, but they have exactly the same effect. The myth just the meth addition to the structure of the molecule just lets it get across the blood brain barrier a little bit quicker, so it's a little bit more potent, but it's essentially the same chemical.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you just a couple of questions I'm going to sound even dumber than usual here, but I've never used recreational drugs ever, and I think the only time I've ever been around drugs is a couple of times when people are smoking dope or something. So I am genuinely ignorant in this space. But why is meth so popular? Is it because it's easily available and it's relatively cheap, or like or it gives people the best high? Or I don't know, why is it such a standout? That's the wrong term, But you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know is the answer. I think it's probably all of the above.
Speaker 4: I think it's the most it's the closest equivalent to the legal drugs people have been being prescribed and for mean in terms of its effect, and I think it's relatively available and relatively cheap, and it is also there's also probably it's probably got a bit of an image for advantage as well, in that it's, you know, I guess someone's selling it would say this is the same as the stuff you've been legally permitted to take. This is not heroin or cocaine, you know, So I guess there's that marketing advantage to it as well. But I'm not intimate enough with the details of the drug market pace. We could ask tiff, you know, to know which is cheaper or more expensive, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that meth has had a good pr manager. I wouldn't say that meth has any.
Speaker 1: Good branding about it.
Speaker 2: I think what the opposite is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're doing okay, aren't they.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's eight out of ten, every eight out of ten dollars spent on drugs in Australia going on men.
Speaker 1: That's selling like hotcakes, so to speak.
Speaker 2: I'll stick with my Pistacia cookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, Sorry, back to the tech meth pipeline.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, if you're going to give a kid something that drives up their both mean levels to the point where they need medication just to function, which is what's happening, and then that medication eventually eats its legal limits in terms of how much you get, then you're manufacturing meth addicts.
Speaker 3: That's what's going on. We're manufacturing meth addicts.
Speaker 4: And if that was just unfortunate or a waste of time or jeez, that's that's not a good thing, then I guess you know, people could go test tisk, But meth addicts become psychotics, becomes itzophrenics, and we are converting a large percentage and growing every day of our youth into ultimately drug induced psychotics. And that is not a good thing for our society at all. And these numbers are proving it out. This is it's not like me having a theory and then saying and then the number is not coming out. You know, if we had numbers that showed that myth was actually going down in consumption, then we've got to look somewhere else. But growing at twenty three percent a year, that's incredible. That's beyond anything we've ever seen before. And what I'm putting forward is there's a really good reason for it, which is that most people who need amphetamines as a stimulant drug just to get through the day. We'll tell you this thing. These things work like magic. They take the drug and straight away they are back to the way they used to be. Straight Away they've lost all the mind fog and the inability to focus, and for the duration or the for hour duration of that drug, they can feel normal. So this is what's going on and when a person hits the prescribing limit for that, and the alternative is to crash out without any thing, or obtain an equivalent on the black market. It seems that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's one of the ever present problems with anything that gives you that greater impact almost instantly and at last, you know, for four hours. But there's, like you did, over time, obviously there's diminishing return. As you said, So the dose that you were prescribed worked, and then you needed a bit more and a bit more, and then it didn't. And then so we're kind of we're kind of pushing people into a box that they can't get out of because it's it's not like, well, they can take this and they'll be good moving forward now, because they've always got to take more and more to you know, offset the diminishing kind of capacity of the receptors to get the same like effect.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the reality of what we're in. So we've got a band aid that is in fact making the problem worse, and there are no solutions to the rest of it other than stopping it happening in the first place, or somehow coming up with a unified national program to get people off these drugs. But that's going to start with stop giving them to them in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And is there any I mean, is there any foreseeable kind of solution or strategy that's going to be somewhat effective to this, because it doesn't like, it doesn't paint a great picture for the future.
Speaker 4: The best solution is just coincidentally in my latest book, which is you're not the Prime minister, not last time I looked, and you're not the government, and you can't set policy and you can't do any of the things that I just suggested. But what you can do is fix yourself. What you can do is get off the things that are the start of this pathway, regain control over your dopamine in summation. The good news out of this is that yes, whilst the brain is actually rewired by this addiction, it can be wired back again by just staying away from dope meine stimulation for three months.
Speaker 3: That's it. And in the book I do set out a.
Speaker 4: Plan for how to do that, and it starts with a thirty day period of absolute abstinence and then controlled reintroduction. So it is possible to turn it around. It's very, very much harder if you're addicted to methamphetamine. But if you start at the start and acknowledge that what's going on in your relationship with technology, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Is in fact addiction, then and break that, then you're taking yourself off the conveyor belt.
Speaker 1: It's theoretically right, of course, but experientially and practically super difficult, because you're kind of saying to an addict, don't be an addict. Don't see what addicts do, Like, I know you're addicted, but just stop it.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, if we were easy, you wouldn't be an addict.
Speaker 4: I have absolutely no trouble at all stopping eating broccoli. It's no trouble at all because I'm not addicted to it. The definition of addiction is it's hard to stop, which is why you need a plan for how to do it, which is why I bothered writing a book about it.
Speaker 1: I guess this is a bit of a left term, but just and this is not advice or anything everyone, but just a broad opinion of the effectiveness or otherwise of treatment centers, rehabs, Like have you opened the door and had to look at that at.
Speaker 3: All I have. I have and done it quite thoroughly.
Speaker 4: It depends what they do and how they do it. But if what is going on in that treatment center is keeping you away from all forms of dopamine stimulation for at least thirty days, then you have a significantly higher chance of breaking in an addiction. There are other things that work that we know work. So I did a thorough analysis of all of the things that people have ever done for breaking addictions of all kinds, and the one that comes up absolute top is alcoholics anonymous. Not because of the particulars of how it's done, which is a heavily religious oriented thing because it started with a church group, but if you just look at exactly what they're asking you to do, and the important things are regular meetings in person where you are accountable for what you've done in the last set even days, So that accountability thing is a strong factor in its success. Now they claim that they achieve rates of up to thirty percent, so one in three people who do this actually do manage to break their alcoholism. Now, by definition, they're anonymous, so it's very hard to verify that, but it seems consistent with the research in this area that suggests a methodology like that will work. What doesn't matter is the qualifications of the person who's leading the group, whether they're a psychologist, doctor, whatever, or just a person who was once an addict to themselves. It's all fine. It's important though, to have that accountability element to it, which is why in the plan that I put together, accountability is one of the core features of it. You have to have a mechanism where you are publicly accountable to someone other than yourself or the fact that you have stayed off the addicting thing.
Speaker 1: Kind of a silly analogy, but kind of true. Is the fact that, like when I started personal training back when you were in your twenties and so was I, there were no personal trainers in Australia, so there was that we kind of it would have happened despite me anyway, but I introduced you know where, Now people have got structure and process and accountability. They've got appointment times two or three days a week or whatever it was. So people who had access to the gym before but didn't go, now they've got someone waiting for them on a set data to set time, and not because they got better genetics or necessarily even better information. But just because they were required to be with somebody for an hour three times a week, people got drastically better results than the regular gym members who didn't have that accountability. So, yeah, I'm with you. I think some having someone or someone's else kind of invested in, or at least supportive of, or curious about your endeavors to change and get clean and sober, or improve or get more muscle or get fit or whatever it is. I reckon it. It's a big part of it. I think that social kind of intersection of people on a similar path is really important.
Speaker 3: There's oh no, no, let's dig into that one a little bit.
Speaker 4: So there's good neuropsychology behind that, which is we get an oxytocin hit when we do something that other people tell us they like. So if you have a gym buddy, if you have someone who is going to turn up and expect you to be there and is going to support you and doing it, and you're going to support them, you're both giving each other oxytocin hits. It's why there's plenty of studies on this. You probably know them better than I do. The people who work out alone are much less likely to stick out it than people who work out with a partner. And it's that oxytocin feedback loop where social animals neurochemicals which are designed to reinforce that social aspect to our lives, and so being accountable to somebody is a big part of why alcoholics anonymous works. It's a big part of why that gym thing works. It's you get feedback from that person, which is positive because you showed up. And eventually, with jimming, you get to the point where you're also generating pheromones from doing it. Pheromones, pheromones, you're not a cat were You're also generating orphans endorphins. Sorry, see Midday, I'm off, I'm completely off my game here, and do orphans from doing it, because you know, the harder and harder it gets, the more endorphins you've produced as painkillers essentially, and they themselves are addictive, so you convert the mild head of the oxytocin to the stronger head of the endorphins.
Speaker 1: I might call this episode pheromones and endorphins, and then in brackets wait for it, I think also, I don't know what it is now, but there was a period over the last twenty years in Australia, where the average active gym membership GLESPO was fifteen percent, which meant that for every hundred current gym members so people who currently have a membership, eighty five of them didn't go either at all or more than once a week. So the people who set out where they went, they joined a gym, they paid their money, they got a program, they were fully intended that they would go and train three or four days a week. They changed their body life thinking habits da dada. Yeah. Well, and truly more than half the people have a membership don't go at all. And you think about the little gym that I train at. I'll give them a shout out snap, which is a little gym up in Moravin, but well it's not that little actually used to be one of my gyms. But anyway, it's not a huge gym. But I don't know what they would have, but it would have to be well over twelve thirteen to fourteen handred members. And you think, wow, if even a tenth of them rock up tonight for a workout, like, we're in trouble. Because they know that and this is not the fault of the gym's But I had this sorry this is I'm trying not to drag this on, but I had basically a teacher, a mentor who I worked for in the eighties and he had the biggest gym in Australia was called Ringwood Supergym and forty four thousand square feet. Anyway, one day, we're doing this sales thing and we're just selling the shit out of memberships and people were coming in. And even though it was huge, I said to him one day, like, when do we stop selling memberships? And he looked me like I was a Martian and he goes, we don't. And I go, but how many people can we fit in? And he said, it doesn't matter. They won't come. He goes, like a lot of them, like a lot of them that come through the door, all enthusiastic. And I was in my twenties. I'm like what he goes, Yeah, you watch, most of them won't come. They'll say they'll come, they sign up, they'll pay their dough and it's here for them. We're here for them, the facilities here, the resources are here. Yeah, and it's that oh yeah, And I think back to the you know when personal training started in Australia. A lot of people were critical, saying, well, basically, you're just it's more to it than this. But in a way, I understand the obception. You're standing next to someone while they do a workout and getting whatever. Back in the day, it was like forty bucks when gym instructors were earning twelve bucks, right, and I'd say, yeah, that's kind of right. It's a bit more than that's kind of right. But the truth is, if I'm not standing here, they won't come in and they won't turn up and they won't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are like, ah, just do it yourself. What's the I'm like, I agree with you. Theoretically that is brilliant. Practically, in the real world people don't show up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, accountability matters, And I guess the other stat is probably that most of those gym memberships are required.
Speaker 3: In January.
Speaker 4: There's a stat in book industry that you sell more diet books in January than you sell in the rest of the year combined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, of course, of course. Now before we go, so your new book is just out a week ago now or so. The attention recovery plan you've generously given or donated five books to some of my listeners. We did a little kind of you know what was funny. We did a thing on my Facebook page for the U Project and I said to them, I was trying to think, how do I give away books? So it's like totally random and I'm not preferencing anyone, and nobody's got any advantage. And I said, here's the thing. So I said, I used to live in this house in the tro Valley, and the number of the house is between one and one hundred. So the person who guesses the number, the five people who get closest to the number get the number, or get closest to the number, we'll get a book. And as I after I've done that, I thought, fuck, what if six guests the right number, I'm in trouble. But anyway, so we had about I think somewhere like one hundred and fifty or sixty people came in and guessed the number between one and one hundred, and not one of them guessed the number, like nobody guessed the number, which I well, the number was thirty six, but you're going.
Speaker 3: To say it was one hundred and five.
Speaker 1: No, No, no, yeah, thirty six. I think four people guess thirty seven and one maybe guest thirty three or something like that. But yeah, anyway, so how has it gone. Are you selling a few?
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely no idea. It's been out there for a week.
Speaker 4: And the publisher of the last thing in the world they will tell me is anything after it's only been out there a week.
Speaker 3: So absolutely no idea.
Speaker 4: Look, look, I don't as you know, Craig, you don't become a billionaire from selling books. The only reason I write them is in the hope that the problem that the book identifies, you know, that the book can help you, at a personal level, solve that problem. And as I said, this is not about policy. This is not about changing the drug market or you know, the ADHD medication mark or any of that sort of stuff, just like the sugar books were not about changing the market there. It's about saying, okay, well there's one person you can help, and that's the person reading the book, and this is a formula for them, and if they apply it, it'll help them, and you know, good on them if they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember we were talking about a certain person before we went live and an experience that you just had around self promotion.
Speaker 3: Who are we talking about.
Speaker 1: I can't say because we're on the podcast.
Speaker 4: Maybe someone you sign it out, Maybe someone that.
Speaker 1: You recently encountered. Oh yes, yeah, of course, what's wrong with your brain? That was like a ten minute chad one minute before the show.
Speaker 3: Well it was an hour ago though, so that person I haven't harps.
Speaker 1: It's like and you looked at me like, this is anyway glessose the opposite of that less pose the opposite of that person, Yes, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And thank good?
Speaker 1: It's like, fucking try harder to sell your book, will you? You're the worst promoter of your own shit in the history of promotion. Hey, everyone to call the attention recovery plan. Now I've just had a bit of a look. Now, I'm not telling you where to go or where not to go. Of course, you can order it online through Pam McMillan I think it is, yes, Or you can go to hang on hear me out, You can go to where can you go? You can go to Dimmicks and thirty some bucks or or Big W and pay twenty five bucks.
Speaker 4: Or you just got an Amazon I think similar price to Big W. There it didn't look anywhere that sells books. But yeah, there's a variety of prices you'll pay, so look around.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we appreciate you. We'll say goodbye a fair and tif can you go and have some fucking omega threes or something? Eat eat a fish for lunch?
Speaker 5: God, god, oh goodness what And you looked at me like dumbfounded. We had this whole conversation and you're like, nah.
Speaker 1: Bless foe, thank you.
Speaker 3: See yeah for the pleasure, see you later.