Speaker 1: Apote production. Hi, my name's beck Woodbine and welcome to Tenderness for Nurses.
Speaker 2: I'm grateful for the person that I have the opportunity to be, So I hit it and parked it for Nellie four years. We always have free will, We always get to choose. We are autonomous. Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone, welcome back to Tenness for Nurses. Today we have Cannie Ladell with us, who is a lovely friend of mine and we've known each other for god fifteen years longer.
Speaker 2: Will you make me look so young?
Speaker 1: So I asked Carnie to come on today to have a chat to us a because not only has she worked within the hospital system, she herself has been a patient with the Paralympics. On Cannie herself has actually competed in the Paralympics, and I just wanted to touch on her experiences both working in the hospital and her experience as a patient, but also the impact going to the Paralympics had on her. And I suppose moving forward, being a powerhouse with human rights, you do so much work for people that are handicapped.
Speaker 2: I am now forty five, so I was born with my disability in nineteen seventy nine, and in hockey in Rocky Mate, I was miss beef Week nineteen ninety six. That's part of my that should have been your bloody first thing. Great year ninety six, first Paralympics, the year twelve miss beef week. So and Rockampton, by the way, is the beef capital of Australia causin yes, and you can only imagine my mother. Obviously there wasn't any ultrasounds back then, and she didn't go to doctor quite a bit. Mum and said, I feel like she's not moving because I guess she'd heard everyone talking about kicking. And the doctor of course said go away, everything's fine. Then from there I was born in a traumatic birth. So Mum went in for a vinal delivery. Yes, let's say what you say, and obviously a caesar had to happen. I was breached. I was legs over the head. Because now I've found out from MRIs only just recently actually in the last five years, when they needed a full body MRI that supposedly, according to that MRI, I don't have any glute muscle, not even like a little extra like a black pinprick of muscle in my glutes or my hamstrings. Which Patty walks.
Speaker 1: Right, So you guys just say you have a bit of an idea about Cannie. Yes, she is in a wheelchair. I know this for a fact that her mother was determined to make her walk, and Cartie can walk. Obviously there are areas that she can't.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't walk like you. No, you don't. You don't. Is it a gate we call it in the medical community. I call it a swagger. You've got a swagger gets better with a couple of gin and tonics.
Speaker 1: But you know, her mum was determined to make her walk and she did. Hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the thing is, that's another thing that I've learned along the way being a disability activist, which is something that I'd love to retire from. And I think any of us want to be activists. I certainly don't. The day that I can say that I'm not one is the day that we're finally equal. And it's very tiring being an activist for your own life and then having that kind of responsibility when you become a paralympian and you become a public figure. And I did a social work degree as well, so I sort of put myself in that position not knowing that we would still be in what I call the fight I think for a couple of years after the NDIS first came in to Queensland. For me anyway, it was the first time I ever received funding in my whole life, because I wasn't eligible for funding before the NDAs came in well pre NDIS. And this is something that I think a lot of people have forgotten about and the reason why there was such a need for the NDAs. And I actually was part of the rallies that brought the NDIS into Australia. I ran the rallies around Australia, didn't actually run them as in I didn't organize them, but I was the face and the host and the MC and I've never seen the disability community shop like that before. I expected to sharp to five people, you know, normal, the same five, the squeaky wheels I like call them. They shaped every event, every government event. They're the ones that get the funding. And that was just thousands and thousands and thousands of people wearing these red shirts. What is it? Nothing about us? Without us? Everybody accounts and the productivity Commission that was done back then was done because we just as a state government just provided bulk funding to all those providers. So whatever propriety you want to pick, I'm not picking on them. Let's just say and Devin Foundation. They would have so many clients on their list, and I would have been more than likely on Muscular District, Queensland's list. I don't know if I was, but maybe. And then they'd write their proposals and they get their bulk funding and no one ordered to them, and then all of a sudden there wasn't a done because the disability community wasn't doing well. You know, we are still the most unemployed group in this country.
Speaker 1: So where was the money going.
Speaker 2: The money was bulk funded to those organizations and then they were to deliver the services whatever they decided to deliver. So for example, before that, also all your funding came down to what they called Disability Support pension, which everybody thinks that we're on. And even if I was on it, which I'm not, I was never eligible because in my interview when I was sixteen, of course, growing up with my parents, which I'll get to, and also being apparently being and always being like I can you know, look at me, I'm the best of everything, don't look at my disability. I kind of r into that settling interview a bit like that, and I was saying things like can you walk and can you do this? And what can you live? And I'd be like, I don't know, what do you mean? What can I lift? They're like, well, can you lift your cat? I'm like yes, and my mom's like, hey, you cat your cat? And I'm like yes, I can. And then that was it didn't get the DSP, and from there it wouldn't matter anywhere because I always worked. Yeah, and when you work with DSP, like anything with Setling, they docupay so every week and you can imagine if I did a speech, I'd have to ring Sendling and say, oh, I can't get my four hundred dollars this week because I just did this speech, and it would just be you know, there's no way. Yeah. So that was why people back then, my friends that needed support work or care would stay on the DSP like one day a week, just so they could be eligible for support work. No one in the world can really afford to pay for a care, so if anyone had to buy a care, you know, like a twenty four to seven situation right now with the price guide. The TOOS is sixty five dollars hour and minimum for my support workers and that goes up according to the time we live. On a Sunday them at one hundred and twenty dollars an hour. So that situation for a twenty four to seven person with the disability, it's about two million dollars a year. So back then, the care was delivered to forty eight thousand queens Onis for example, give or take, and I would have been in forty eight thousand person list. And if you need a care, it was Blue Care or whatever was you provider, and they would send out a care when they could, and you know, like the old Telstra come between nine and eleven nine and whine whatever it was, and they'd come with your key, male or female, nobody who it was, and they would come and do what everybody seems to think we need, which is wipe our arms, enemas, showers, et cetera. And that's how it rolled back then. And then obviously I was never eligible. I'm not to be honest. I wouldn't even thought that I would be an eligible for support workers. So up until the age of thirty seven, I just lived in sharehouses, paid for cleaners, struggled, I guess like everybody else, and my parents came down, you know, the Sunshine Coast. We moved from Rocky I was about eighteen. I moved to Brisbane to train for the Sinney two thousand Paralympics, and my parents moved to the Sunshine Coast with my brother, who finished school at Sunshine Coast. So when the NDIS actually came in was when I accidentally, whoopsie fell pregnant. It was a whoop see kind of what do we do here? And then obviously a single mother with the disability having a baby on my own, the NDAs was out and from you know, when I fell pregnant, you can only imagine. I mean, you know my doctor, doctor Glenn Gardner, who's the I think he's a director of the high risk unit. He predominantly does high risk babies, which Kai was also that, so he was a high risk baby. I wasn't genetically diagnosed. Still okay, I'm still not quite genetically diagnosed. I'm about ninety nine percent genetically diagnosed. This is the fun of living with a really rare muscle wasting disease. I was diagnosed at birth with spinal muscular atrophy, which, of course, back then they didn't have genetics and didn't have blood tests for SMA or MD doushen but they it was all clinical. And back then, if you're born floppy, which I was, I was born very floppy, and they diagnosed me with what I now call SMA type one.
Speaker 1: What's that mean?
Speaker 2: Any child that is born pretty much with a muscle disease and they're born floppy typically means you're going to die really quick. So most of my mates with SMA, they are born typical or what we call healthy, which I absolutely hate that label. You know, all I want to have as a healthy child. Well what happens when you don't? What happens when you are that and a healthy baby? What happens to us? You know, whenever you say things about disability, you got to flip it on its side and say or slip slip it over and say, well you're saying you don't want me, and then what happens then?
Speaker 1: So complex, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is so complex because I understand as a mother, but at the same time, if you're going to have a baby, you should understand.
Speaker 1: That things can go wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, there's twenty percent of Australians have a disability. And hopefully you don't say I want a girl. If you said all I want to have as a girl, then someone will say you can't that because there's a fifty percent chance you can have a boy. So I guess for me, I needed care because when I fell pregnant, nobody really knew what was going to happen. Nobody really wanted me to have a baby. There was a lot of talk around it. I really desperately wanted to have a child. I knew that, but I knew that I couldn't say it out aloud, and I knew that everyone around me was careful with how they talked. I was a godmother five hundred times, you know, and everyone gave me that. You know you're going to be a godmother. And I lived in a new farm and I had Tiffany the dog. She was my fair baby. You know, that was really where I was going, you know. It surrounded myself, a lot of gay people, a new farm. We lived that life. And again I didn't meet the right guy. I'd had a very horrific situation. When I was thirty four years of age, I got engaged to a very dangerous, narissistic, maybe sociopathic, scary man, very scary man that has led a full double life and did it to other women after me.
Speaker 1: I remember how scared you were.
Speaker 2: I thought it was going to kill me. Yeah, you were terrifying, surprised, absolutely, And now that I know more about DV, I am very lucky he didn't kill me. Look, that is truly how much control he had over my lifefe And nobody saw it coming. Nobody except one friend had suspicions about him. He was so good at what he did.
Speaker 1: But remember I said to you one time, he's too good to be true. Yeah, he's too good to be true.
Speaker 2: I knew there were some things he was lying about, absolutely, but I had absolutely no idea that he was lying about a double life. And I didn't know he was lying down to see his daughter and he was still married.
Speaker 1: And that's scary. How many men are like that then?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've worked in domestic family violence now for a long time, and white sociopathic, narcissistic men our most dangerous men walking our street right now because we can't catch them, because I don't break the law until they kill you. I know that sounds really full on and severe. But I've met the victims' families. You know, Alison Baiden, Clay's family I've met, and a Clark's family. I opened their charity for them. I've heard the stories, I've read the death review boards. I've been in their lives, and there was no physical violence, hardly any of the cases. We call them snakes, right, there's snakes in the grass. People's easy to catch because they probably will hit you in the face. We often say it's a shame that they don't hit us in the face, because then somebody would believe me. I didn't have the words for it. It's funny. I was thirty four, I'd just finished my master social work, so I hadn't even studied worked in domestic and found me violence And I met him the day I handed in my master's last assignment off Tinder or whatever it was. And I will never date a stranger ever again. And I mean a stranger. I have to know someone who knows them. But yeah, I was engaged him. Wedding organized, wedding canceled, proper, lost everything, lost so much money. Took me years so untangle myself out of that mess. So when I did fall pregnant, so the next guy I meet felt pregnant to him. When I fell pregnant, I had frozen my eggs six months earlier, and I do believe that I was full of hoemones. But when my doctor got the eggs out, she only got seven or eight.
Speaker 1: But that's what they aim for these days.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had a lot of friends that I had IVF. And by the way, it's so funny because when I fell pregnant my sisters who used wheelchairs, You've had babies, They like, oh, no, big questions. The personal questions about disability got to get worse and more personal. I thought to myself, how is that even possible. Ever I go, people are at me like, what happened to you? What's wrong with you? What have you done to yourself? Have you tried gluten free? Have you tried rehab? I hear it's really effective. Have you seen now Lex mckinn and he can still walk? Like so, I've just been dealing with all of that, And again, think about what you're saying, what's wrong with you? Nothing? What have you done to yourself? Nothing? But if I say I've got a neuroe, muscular waste in disease. I think it's oncongenital typnopathy. What are they going to say to that, is it curable? Are you going to die? What can you do? Do this? So? And then if you answer it with a car accident, because its kind of that's what they want, then from there I feel bad because I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm just like, I'm not diminishing what you just said. But after I had my second child, I you know, was carrying a bit of weight and Jacob never slept, and you know, I was a bit of a fatty poopa and carried it all in my tummy. Me too, And I was asked all the time when my next baby was due, and you know how you want to not embarrass that person, you just go, oh, no, no, I just had a baby now, and Jacob was twelve months down the track, so you know, I just hadn't lost the weight. Anyway, I had a really bad day. I hadn't slept because Jacob love him to pieces, and he's what twenty three now, But that kid didn't and I'm not exaggerating. He did not sleep for three years. We were in and out of sleep hospitals, and he had severe reflup. He was a nightmare anyway, bad day, no sleep, had worked the night before, went into kmart and this lady says to me, oh, so, when's your baby jew And you know, I just snapped and I just turned her and I said, no, I'm just fat, and so my personality to make people feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: But that woman ran that fast and I thought, you know, I said, you know, I'm gonna believe what happened to me. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But you know, why is it that we have to make everyone else who ask us a really personal, uncomfortable question, we then have to go out of our way to make them feel comfortable for being so rude.
Speaker 2: And the thing is too, when I was younger watching my older paralympic friends snap, you know, or say things that like nothing wrong with me or whatever, I ignore them. And you know, people often come in high five you when you're out and say good on you for being out. You say brave, and they wonder why that's totally offensive and patronizing. And I feel like saying, I don't high five anyone back now. I mean, to be honest, my high five is not good. I've got a muscle disease. It ain't great life five is a lot better. But you know, you get high five. If you've been a paralympian, I'll high five you back. You're in a high five me. If you're doing a great speech, I'll hire five you back. I'm not high fiving you for being out and being brave and being inspiration. Sorry, that is disgusting, it's rude. And also I always think to myself, would you say that to n a body person? So when I was pregnant, the number one question I got asked was how'd you get pregnant? No joke. This was from friends, acquaintances, and strangers. Now, I tend to think that if you're gonna ask someone a question, I always think to myself, you're gonna ask anyone a question, probably at least be ready for two answers, like yes or no. If you're not ready for either of those, like, for example, are you going to die from it? If I'm going to say yes, what are you going to say? Then? Therefore don't say it. Don't ask that question unless you're ready to know what you're going to say to yes. Same with how you're going to fall pregnant? If you go up to a pregnant woman like you in Kmart that wasn't pregnant much more fun. So how'd you feel pregnant? You're not going to say that to a body person.
Speaker 1: Surely have strangers asked you that when you.
Speaker 2: Was the number one most common question you've asked anyone that uses a wheelchair if they've been high five for going out, being inspirational or I would kill myself if I was you. Oh if I had it up in a wheelchair. I tell the newbies that I meet, we are going to go out and this is what's going to happen, and they think I'm lying.
Speaker 1: That must be heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: For these words and me together. There's a couple of us together. Oh, were on a date with the going on a wheelchair? Wow, that's really fun. So yes, number one question was how do you feel pregnant? And everybody, I know that'll affects me to say, because the way that we frame disability and talk about disability has been said to me for a very long time. So I know how you feel about it. You've told me. So therefore I know that you all think not you, of course, but a lot of people think and had this misconception that I'm the riskiest person in every room that I go into to support servi or employee, and that disables me way more than my disability. So that misconception and that attitude towards disability, if that went away tomorrow, I could deal with the inaccessible environment that I have to deal with. But the fact that I've got a deal with people coming at me in front of my son. And when I was pregnant, they wanted me to say, IVF right, because of course, if you think I can't get a job and I can't get on a plane, or I can't baby Shrek ride at dream Well, but my kid care he's full, then of course I can't have a baby. And they weren't expecting me to say a couple of gen tonics and a root with a guy that I billy knew. And when I had to tell my friends, like who you data, I'm like, so, I, yeah, I was probably more scared about telling people because I knew. Also I was single more than likely, you know, there was a lot going on in that situation. But yeah, I went to doctor Glenn. He was the high risk. He didn't know what to do. He was great, but really and truly from probably twenty weeks, stability to do everything, and the pain in my back, like I thought my back was going to break for sure. You can't imagine. I mean, did you see me pregnant at the time. I couldn't sit up, I couldn't slide down. I couldn't get away from the pain because the lot lordosis was so severe and you can't really complain about either. You can't complain about pain because you've got yourself in this situation and it's not going to kill me and the baby. It wasn't gonna hurt Kai, so its a weird thing. It was like, oh, okay, well, Kai's okay. He was moving a lot, which was good because Mum didn't move, and that's part of the disease. No fluid. You get stuck in that position can general tighten upathy and then you come out with contractions. I came out with my thumbs like this okay, which I've been fixed, and the tenet transfer and really weird feet like whoever I was in her eu it you can imagine you come out like that. Now, let me know what it is. It's actually missing muscles from birth, so I'm missing pretty much most of my back muscles and then the front muscles kind of do everything. That's what can general typnopathy actually is just discovered. It was thirty five of us in the world. It's a Titan gene and it's not progressive, so it's not SMA, which is progressive, so it won't be passed. Kai. Well, Kai was not born like me yep. And also he put his thumb in his mouth at twenty weeks.
Speaker 1: But that was the best picture ever because.
Speaker 2: There was a little bit of a club foot situation spoken about, which kind of sent me into a bit of a tizzy. It's interesting because I was okay about Kai has other issues that he's got in terms of other learning difficulties, ADHD and other things. But it's interesting. I was hoping not to pass on my condition only because I've seen what other mothers go through when they pass on their own disease. There's something about it. I don't know what it is, like. I was ready for guilt. Do you think I think it's the guilt. But it was also probably scared of the public's reaction, you know, because another question I gotta asked all the time, is your child going to have your disease? And I couldn't say yes or no because I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I'm really struggling that people ask you such personal questions.
Speaker 2: All the time. People have asked, like mates and chairs that they got a vagina, and I'm like, well, what if they say no? Like people, I'm sure there are people that don't have vaginas. I know plenty of people that don't have limbs. But again, unless you're about to operate on me, you don't need to know. You don't need to know anything about my disability because I was born with mine. I'm bored of talking about it. And I also don't like how you're framing the question. And I don't like how you talk to me in front of my child now, like someone has prayed, literally not pr e y. I've had people get down on their hands and knees and pray when my child was sitting on my lap at in Tripley shopping center. Serious yes, And then my child started praying for me to not be in a wheelchair because of those idiots that put that in his head. And I had idiots like that put that in my head and I was eight xlo eighty eight. Yeah, good news. Australia Bible came out. How a bunch of them came over to me in my wheelchair, got down to an eight year old child and put their hands on my legs and told me to read this Bible, which I did, and I would be cured again. Like where they he would I park, Like, come on, man, I do not want to be The only thing I would take away from my disability right now would be pain. If someone can come along and just erase the pain that I'm in, then I would be fine to be in this body for the rest of my life. But the pain is becoming increasingly challenging. After thirty plus operations.
Speaker 1: When you have had and you've had numerous surgeries in hospital, how did you feel the medical and nursing staff treated you and be honest, yeah, like how you felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because I became apparently been so young. I was very fortunate then to be pushed into the world of orthopedic surgeons that are sports orientated. Yeah. Yeah, so I got all the best doctors, right. So, I think my first big surgery, aside from my thumbs at five, that was life changing because my knees were desiccating from the age of twelve. So they would discad everywhere. It wouldn't matter where I'd go. I never knew when it was going to happen, and you can only imagine the pain scared going up and downs. I mean, you know, I didn't want to fall down the stairs and prove them right. Everyone is kept on saying I was just because you're a good a muscle disease. You know, obviously the muscles aren't strong enough. And that was that and just lucky for me. I met Dr Myers through the Paralympics and he said, your tibia is out of line with uniquer and I went, what does that mean? He goes, oh, I saw a tiv transfer. I was like, great, went in no idea, how freaking painful that surgery is and came out obviously six weeks or something until they can bend it. I can't remember how many weeks it was. It was like, you know, eight weeks or whatever. And in those eight weeks it was after the Paralympics. So I also pooked up because I was like, look and you're see eating six out. You know. It was like when you're an athlete, it burn off so much you can't keep the weight. Don't think I was forty five kilos probably even smaller at my first Paralympics. It's like thirty five at my first and forty five at my second, and lost the ability to walk. So it's about about a year trying to get it back, like rehab hydro, trying because the muscles just wasted so quickly. And then three months after I walked, I was walking into the Brothers Club and Rocky and my left and dislocated for the first time. So it's only my right one that used to do it that was up there with the worse running for hours in my life, I reckon and then from there I knew I had to do it again, so I went back to mys. This time took me six months to I how to walk again. And in those times of being in bed and being completely dependent, my dad had to shower me and lift me, and my friends had to bring me, you know, like there was no freaking things to do. There's not like Netflix. It was really lonely. I don't want to be cynical, but I learned very young that you're better off just really keeping things to yourself, you know, you learn after six months, a year, another surgery, another this, and another that. You know, there's very few people that stick around really and really help. You know. I always say to people, if you don't know how to help anyone, just think about food company and anything that can help with boredom or just sitting there with them. Really just show it up, even if they don't answer your phone. To show up. People isolate themselves. I isolate big time. I do that, and sometimes you just need someone to say, oh, okay, you know, like what can we do? And I don't know what you can do? So that was that. Then from there I walked and then they needs haven't desiccated since. And I've had about ten operations with doctor Myers, probably more since, just like the you know, the meniscus or the cartilage and I've got no cartliage left now my knees, but they don't desicate because he did that to be a transfer. So that was the first real taste of surgeries, big ones. That was a big one. Hospital isn't a place I like to go to because I either get sick her there from the food and the bed and not being able to do my normal routine of rehab and you know all that stuff. So I didn't go into the hospital with it. When I was pregnant. It was thirty six weeks. He stopped moving. I couldn't feel him moving, and that's when I went all right, so went into hospital for that week. He was okay. All I wanted to do was to get the thirty seven weeks only that was full urn officially thirty seven weeks of the day. First up, doctor card to me, and again he had no idea what was going to happen. He didn't. I mean, the poor lady was putting in a padurial and she's like, oh, how are we going to put an epidurial into that back? You can only imagine, like my back is just it's really cooked. So of course I was expected to be knocked out, and my mum came into the room with me. As soon as she put it in, it was like instant relief. I had no idea how long the caesar took. I actually love surgery, love anesthetic. I can totally understand why that's a fatanyl problem. I get the addiction. When I get into an ambulance and they don't give me the green whistle, I am absolutely devastated. And if they take it away from me in hospital, I'm even more devastated. I would definitely be one of those people that would be like Michael Jackson and.
Speaker 1: Well that was mendazolam.
Speaker 2: He was It's all a bit of an anesthetic thing, yeah, isn't it? And the new one that Matthew Perry died from was offenstional. That would be a drugg I would.
Speaker 1: It's a nasty drug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but god, I love anesthetic.
Speaker 1: We needs to use kenemine all the time. And then it went out of favor because it made people very agitated when they were coming out of theater.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem. It's like any drug. I'm guessing no, some of them are.
Speaker 1: Just aggravate people more than others. And was one that was really.
Speaker 2: A brain chemistry thing, isn't it? Because I hate morphine. I can't if you give me an endome, it's not good. I mean hallucinations. I don't go to toilet for a month, like it's the worst drug. At some people I've and don't. I've got lot of people to say that love it anyway. So yeah, I did not know that doctor Gardner was struggling. He was making a lot of noise and I did see some foresips. I thought that was interesting. I don't know you did his forceps and a Caesar man. Whatever, I'm in, how I'm how, I'm in heaven. The pain's finally gone. Yeah. Fifty minutes later he got him out. So he was completely stuck under my lord dosis and he had no idea by looking at me that my abs because I'm missing those muscles in the back. He said, it was like cutting through an on a bit gymnast. He had no preparation for that, and he couldn't get him out. But he came out, and doctor Gardener told the couri Mal with Freddie Mining, that was the hard of Caesar he's ever done in his entire life.
Speaker 1: Can't He just want to say thank you for coming in, and thank you for being so vulnerable and sharing.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate