Speaker 1: Apod shape production look back to another episode a new season of Am I a Bad Mum podcast for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I was literally driving in Katie going, I can't believe kind of that we're here again. We've had a few weeks off.
Speaker 1: What I've realized is that Christmas has such a build up. There's so much that goes on, even in like you know, once Halloween's done, then you've got November, the kids are starting to get tired and think about wrapping up school, You're doing Christmas parties, like everything's going on, you have Christmas, and then it's like bam over you don't oh you put your Christmas tree down on Boxing Day. I knew that was.
Speaker 2: Leading in because I thought of you as December twenty six rolls around and I am ushering out my family that all stayed, and like just started on this rampage of like you know where people leaving just want to clean your house. Because I'd had visitors for like days on end, and I was just like, I just want to clean, and then it sort of started and then it just didn't finish, and then all of a sudden, the house is clear of all Christmas.
Speaker 1: Literally Christmas was over and you sent me a video about what to screwed you either. Because my rule is New Year's Day, so you keep it up for Christmas Eve and then your decorations come down New Yearday. And you know what, I loved taking the decorations down usday, like it felt cleansing to me. Am I a bad mum for almost killing a family member. I've had relatives over as well. My dad and his wife have been over from England and rate we bought a boat.
Speaker 2: This is exciting. Actually, someone also just texted me the other day and said Katie boating person Mark and I was like, yes, she is twenty twenty five is boating year.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is so good. Just a cheap little run around. And something quite traumatic happened when we went for our second ever go on the boat. So we reversed it in on the ramp. So it's called h yeah, the ramp, So you reverse in the boat and then you disconnect it whatever. Jay does that part, and then my job was to drive trailer back out and then park the car. So did that all great? So Jay is on the boat in the driving seats. Someone's to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: I was like this yep, in my head, I know exactly wherever it is.
Speaker 1: He was driving. Everyone knows what I mean. And then my dad's wife has got on the boat and my kids are there too. Holly has a rope holding the front of the boat. Amelia's job is to make sure that the boat isn't touching the jetty a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then I come background. I've managed to park the trailer. I'm proud of myself because it's sucking hard.
Speaker 2: I was like that in itself. Me. I'm like.
Speaker 1: When I got back to the boat, it's like this all happened in slow motion. So my dad, who is in his seventies, he's a large guy. He had one foot on the jetty, one foot on the boat.
Speaker 2: At the back of the boat. Right, he's getting the back of boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Jay said, everyone get on the front. He was like, no, I'm going to find it easier on the back. One foot on the jetty, one foot on the boat. And then I'm watching in slow motion all of us in horror as the back of the boat moves away from the jet and my dad is slowly doing the splits and everyone's like, oh my god, what is happening?
Speaker 2: Here. Everyone's waiting for it because everyone knows the inevitable is about to happen.
Speaker 1: And I'm briefly in my mind, I'm going this is really dangerous. This is not going to end well. And he's looked at us and gone, I'm going in, and he has gone into the water. My concern was he was just going to keep doing the splits, keep doing the splits, and then like fall back and smash his head on the jelly or something like that. He's opted to just go I have to go in. My only option is to go in. He's fallen into the water. We've all gone to like grabbing arm. This guy on a boat behind us has taken his shirt off and he has jumped straight into the water and he's like trying to help. We're then trying to get this seventy year old onto the back of the ladder of the boat. Oh my god, Rach it was like I felt like I had PTSD off the back of it. Holly looked at me, she went, mom, I filck, I'm gonna vomit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to ask it. But in that part of like watching it slow as he's starting to split, like boats coming away Jenny's going a little bit further, like this is there a little bit of you just going like this is a little bit funny, but a little bit fucked up. But this is a little bit funny, and I don't know what I'm meant to be doing.
Speaker 1: His wife starts crying. No, it was like it was traumatic. And then rag finally we got out. No one's talking, like we all got on the boat. Dad's soaking wet in his clothes. Old mate who's jumped into help has gone, fuck, I've left my phone in my pocket. He hadn't who had his boat? Legend of a man, Yeah, his wife, And so then we've started going on the boat. No one's speaking because we're all really traumatized. But once just happened. This is on the Gold Coast. We get out, it's got super choppy, so Jay's going faster to try and get through the waves. We're getting absolutely soaked. I felt like I was in the middle of like some kind of rough seed storm. I'm like, I don't know what to do with myself. I'm like holding on for dear life. I'm looking back at the two seven year olds in the boat, thinking, fuck, they're not enjoying this at all. We've eventually got to like the canals where it's a lot calmer, and all I'm thinking is fuck going back out there? How are we going to get back out? We've gone through the canals, We've stopped and had a sandwich I bought with us, and the boat stopped working. What's broken down? Jay's trying to fix the Enginey's trying to rev it again. It's not happening. We've had to tie up in somebody else's jetty, private jetty at their home. It's not going anywhere. We ended up calling out the rescue boat. The rescue boats come. It's tied a rope from their boat to our boat. Jay is in the driving seat again. My Dad's insisted on staying on the boat. We've all gone on the rescue boat. This boat has then gone full throttle through those waves to get through. I'm watching Jay's holding on for dear life. Dad's on the back. He's had to lie down. We're just a lot. Then we've all like hung our heads in shame as we get towed back to the jetty in the lifeboat.
Speaker 2: My gosh, at this stage, Kat I would have been like sell the fucking boat.
Speaker 1: It's too much.
Speaker 2: That's almost like, am I a bad daughter for almost killing my parents? It's kind of reversal of what we constantly talk about. Yeah, oh my, that sounds traumatic. I don't even know how your dad's still staying on that boat to get dragged home. I would be. I mean, I get why he did it. I get why he didn't want to swap boats because.
Speaker 1: He'd be now got a bad back, he's massive bruises.
Speaker 2: Your parents are in their seventies and you almost killed them off the side of a boat. Yeah, I mean, welcome to Australia, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: Happy holidays, and now you're about to.
Speaker 2: Go home, so I'm going to send you off on it.
Speaker 1: I was like, you better be careful dad. The sharks and there was deep water.
Speaker 2: Where were you though, Like, just were you in the canals when you were getting where he fell? No?
Speaker 1: Like out in the broadwater?
Speaker 2: Oh right?
Speaker 1: Is that what it's called?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like out where? And then that other guy I decided to put his life on the line to jump in.
Speaker 1: To what a nice guy? A nice guy, Such a nice guy. Holly was traumatized because she was supposed to be the one holding the boat to the jetty on the.
Speaker 2: Had a moment of thought of going okay, so as the boat was sort of going teetering out, who was in charge of holding a boat to the jetty?
Speaker 1: So she was, but she was doing a good job because she was holding the boat to the jetty. But she was holding the front of the boat to the jetty. We all just sat and watched the back of the boat just go out now doing the splits.
Speaker 2: I would have been dying inside. I would have been dying inside, panicking inside. But when those sorts of things happened, I start to just cry with laughter because I can't like that stuff. Is kind of like that TV show that we used to always watch, that Funniest Home Videos, Like yeah, yeah, actually it happened all the time.
Speaker 1: I wish we'd filmed there.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: That's why TikTok would be viral, right we would? Oh you for dad, mister trip on that one. Quick, get your phone out, sorry Dad, Hold the splits, Hold the splits. At the end of it, I think it was Amelia when Grandad you should start doing pilates.