Speaker 1: Apogae Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Amia Mad mum My Podcast.
Speaker 1: We ask you this question, don't we in and out every week? We've been asking it for such a long time now.
Speaker 2: When we think back to when we started the podcast, kind of felt like it would have like a shelf life, like it would be, I don't know, for a few years while the kids were young and now they're getting older. But what we've realized is that it never stops. Like there's things that get better with kids and then they come hand in hand with something that gets worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the stages and ages that you sort of go. And I always said it, I was like, I feel like you just get a handle on one particular stage and age and then all of a sudden it shifts. It's just here, bang, Okay, cool, how do I do this again? And you just start like, I don't know, learning how to juggle eight, you know, balls instead of three kind of thing. It's just a circus. Some days it is dead set like a circus.
Speaker 2: And this is where and I've said this a few times. I know you're probably gonna think, gee, she's really keen to get this going, But this is where I go then being a grandparent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: Going back to those stages that you've went through and he found difficult, but I feel like we'll have a better understanding of how to handle them.
Speaker 1: I was having this conversation with the lovely gentleman that does our pool cleaning at home, and he was like, oh, guess what, rage I'm a grandfather, and he was so excited and so pumped, and I was like looked at him and I was like, oh, young grandfather, you know, like we're having a laugh. But then he goes, it's so much better. I literally get all of the good times with them, and then I hand them back and I say see you later, and then they go just on that.
Speaker 2: And I've just had this crazy realization. My kids are sixteen in November. They're twenty in four years time. Yes, I could be a grandparent.
Speaker 1: No you're not. I'm going to encourage them not to be letting you become. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: So I had them at twenty five, which is young. Yep, even that is why can't I do the math on that?
Speaker 1: He's literally looking at and ten years, that's nine years. It's like nine ten years.
Speaker 2: You're going to be saying at twenty five. Yes, in nine years, I.
Speaker 3: Will be doesn't add thirty five?
Speaker 1: Am I a bad mum for not wanting to create a knock on effect? Not it's a bit of a topic. We go a little bit personal here, but that's okay. That's what we do.
Speaker 2: Because most of the time we forget anyone's listening. We feel like it's just a safe space for us to talk to each other. I mean, if we really thought about it, we probably wouldn't talk about half of the shit that we do.
Speaker 1: No, obviously, you've got two girls. I've got two girls. We are in the depths of different ages and different stages, and right now there's a lot of conversation in our particular household. And I'm sure you've already been through this around puberty and yeah. Always over dinner, we're eating like a mouthful of like what have you just like chicken schnitty, and you're like, what where did that question come from?
Speaker 2: And it's like, Bam, here have a question. Yeah you haven't prepared for.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what. I literally scoop some peas in my mouth and Elsie said something other and I nearly sput them across the table.
Speaker 2: It was like, it's like you're in a full sense of security, enjoying your chicken and your vegetables. Next minute, my girls, have you ever smoked a cigarette ever in your life?
Speaker 3: He's the right answer here.
Speaker 1: I love that you're like look around the table for like, can I have fifty to fifty on this? Can I find a friend?
Speaker 2: Did you know you have a drink alcohol before you're eighteen?
Speaker 3: Tough one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Did I come back to you on that? Let me just make up a story that doesn't Yeah, So, going through the whole puberty and questions that are getting fired around the table, left, right and center, even this, I've got to bridge how I'm bringing it up. Basically, what it has been is that when Elsie was about three and a half, maybe nearly four, I decided, just to give you some context about it, I have ever really had large breasts in my whole entire life. I was totally okay with it. Proceed further, have two children breastfeed, and then once the second child finishes breastfeeding, my boobs were like tenfold worse. And now this doesn't make it okay, but this is just a personal preference. It's what I decided. But basically, it was like whatever I had left of boobs literally like went inwood and sunk into my chest rather than having sort of anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like disappeared, just just but not even disappeared like worse some people like when I look at mine, like I breastfeed the girls, I think I did about five or six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all I did, too, look.
Speaker 2: Down at mine like a couple of spaniels ears.
Speaker 1: Mine didn't even get to become like puppy ears. It was like they almost went back into my chest. It was so odd. But what had happened was we were on the beach one day and I'm playing with the kids because they were only little, and I looked down and my swimmer's top you could see straight through it top to bottom, like I'm talking gap, and I was down playing and digging with the kids, and I was like so self conscious. So proceed forward to like Elsie being three and a half, and I decided to take myself in not telling anyone, tell anyone, told no one, no one, not even my husband, And I took myself in for an appointment to look at what you could do for breast implants, and was just like I think I'm going to do it now. I researched for about three months before it, found the person that I felt comfortable with, then looked into it and I literally just wanted the smallest implant that they physically had, just so I could feel a little bit feminine. Right, Yeah, that was my intent. And in the process you've got to try all of the sizes on like it was so funny, but at the same time, absolutely still just wanted something that just made me feel fair feminine, and that was why I got them. Right now, fast forward, as we know, as a parent, you always shower with your children because they don't let you have any other option. So I've managed to and you know, because of the surgeon that I had, I have no scars. He did an amazing job, like it's a science. It blows my mind how much it's a science, but just an amazing job. Feel feminine absolutely what I wanted. But the whole thing was I didn't have scars, so I didn't have to explain anything.
Speaker 2: Can I just ask a question here, because you didn't tell anyone you were going for the initiative? Oh yeah, did you tell anyone when you were going actually into surgery?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Because really hard to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, there was no way, what was the Your.
Speaker 3: Husband be like, what's happened to you?
Speaker 1: Sam? No? No, So once I decided, and then I was happy with the size, and then I finally committed to the date. It kind of happened really quickly because I don't know how to cancelation. But Sam literally dropped me off for surgery on the way to a game so that he had a home game. They were playing football and it was in Brisbane, and he dropped me off on the way. Yeah, oh yeah, enjoy surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there I am getting out of the car, going good luck O the game. I hope you win. But at the same time I'm going in. And long story short is I didn't have to explain myself to the kids because they were not of age to understand, and Mum was just not well and you know whatever, So we just left it at that. And then as the progression went, I never explained myself because I didn't have to because I'd never asked it. They'd never seen the scars, they never were even like, they just thought they were my boobs. Now, fast forward and then Nanadee comes into the plans for some reason, something's come up and my mum has thrown me under. Look, there's no hard feelings, nanady, but she's thrown me under the bus and says something about will your mum's had her boobs done? And that's how my kids found out.
Speaker 3: Did she tell you she was gonna say that.
Speaker 1: No, she's had a brain explosion. And so then I have two children coming up me going you've had your boobster? What does that mean? Where? Show me? And I'm like, oh, this is not how I ever saw it happening.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting that you bring this up, because it's hard with girls. I feel like, because we're all about love your body, you know this is the only one you've got given blah blah blah. I've had an issue with my nose forever. Actually, when I say forever, it was someone that brought it to my attention, which I feel like all our insecurities come from someone at some point saying that's not right or this could be better. Yeah, and then you feel shit about yourself for the rest of your life. She just remember what they said. And so I've had that for like a long time. But I got to the stage where I was like, I can't do anything about it because my kids have got this same knows and if I'm showing them that I have to fix mine, am I saying to them they have to fix theirs.
Speaker 3: I've spoken to people who have had completely.
Speaker 2: Different views on that, the view of, yeah, you're showing them that there's something wrong. You should be happy with your body and you know this is what you've been given and be confident and all the.
Speaker 3: Rest of it and love yourself.
Speaker 2: And then there's the other side where I've definitely had people go, you're showing that you can do something about it, and you know, you're brave and all that kind.
Speaker 3: Of stuff as well. So it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I think we're interesting. Yeah, and we're in a society now that with girls especially and young boys, but young girls, you know, with social media and the online presence of so many like influencers and all the rest, that it's not reality, but they have that influence there constantly in front of them, this like body disillusion of like what the perfect body would be. Now, no body is perfect, as in physically bodies.
Speaker 2: Nobody is perfect, but what you're seeing on social media, you are seeing the people that are perfect, and so in terms of like getting a nose shob for example. And don't get me wrong, I don't have enough money for a nose job. And I'm also shit scared of being put to sleep and I had a Colonoscopy're not going down that. I had my wisdom tooth take it out whilst I was awake, because that's so scared I am.
Speaker 3: Because of that.
Speaker 2: Nurse that time that was explaining the drugs I used for a colonoscopy, and she went, let me write them down for you and you can do your own research.
Speaker 3: And she went, what's it called? What's it called? What's it called? The one that Michael Jackson died of? And I was like, I don't want it. I don't want you don't want to stay awake.
Speaker 1: I think that was the worst thing that she could have ever said to you, because, oh my gosh, you're the funniest when it comes to going under anesthetic. Because I was like, there's no way I want to be awake for a Colonoscoby, hook me up, let's go.
Speaker 2: But then I'm like, when you're asleep, you're out of control. Like that's the thing for me. When you're put to sleep, you're completely out of control.
Speaker 1: I know what happens once you go under. I always have that question, always have that question of that.
Speaker 3: Did you ever see that?
Speaker 2: There was a sixty minutes episode that followed this doctor he's a cosmetic said yes, and he was like filming TikTok videos while his were asleep, and some of the stuff he was doing to.
Speaker 1: The horrible horrible. I would hope that my judgment, like of character, would be that I picked the one, hopefully, But going back to what we were doing about, which is they already have this influence and I don't want to create the knock on effect. I had to very much explain myself over a good old nightly dinner about why I chose to get my boobs and what it meant to me and like that whole like, but you don't have to do it, Not everyone has to do it. But this is why I chose to form my body. You're not got my body. You've got a different body to me, You've got a different makeup. Elsie looks at me and goes, maum, I think I'm going to be like you. I was like, what do you mean? And she was like, well, I think I just will have no boobs pretty much for my whole entire life until I go and get mine done. I was like, no, no, no, no. I was like, your boobs might just grow later mine because she's really grow, but yours may you grow and then you've got Gracie on the other hand, where I look and go, I swear to God, the genetics have like skipped me. So my mom it skipped me and went to Gracie because like, I think, poor Gracie is going to have Nanade's problem. I'm telling you. I took my mom with me to that sizing appointment because that's how I broke the news to her that I was going to get my booms out. I was like, come to an appointment with me. The surgeon sat there and looked at my mom and goes, oh, wow, must have skipped a generation. What you're sitting here judging me? Well, you look at my mom and he was like, it's impressive, Like stop talking.
Speaker 2: How about we forget about the implants and we just share out some of yours.
Speaker 1: That was one of the most awkward appointments ever been. I was like, I'm sitting here with like no top on. My Mom's sitting there like we're all in a room together, and you're saying, oh, well, to shame, you know, you just missed out on what your mum's got what.
Speaker 2: I had a friend back in the day, I remember, and she was calling up about a boob job, and I remember she didn't quite have enough money for it, and she asked the question, could I come in and get one done.
Speaker 3: Save up for a while, and.
Speaker 1: Then do the other.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking, are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Could you imagine walking around a whole lotside?
Speaker 3: Why do you find a bra for that situation?
Speaker 2: Think yourself, lucky you've had to explain your situation to your kids. Imagine having to explain hers.