Speaker 1: Lately. Welcome the late Babe.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. Speaking of Caleb Bond, news that's going to really upset him. We'll get to it later that the world's fattest cat has died. Caleb will probably have more on that for us later. Speaking of animals, Sydney mathematicians have proved, no matter how long you give them, monkeys typing randomly will never reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: Groundbreaking research. We'll get to all of that, plus what's.
Speaker 3: Making news tomorrow, including research finds a link between mental health issues and hot weather, and as well, another interesting story tomorrow, the same bureaucrat who headed up Dan Andrews's ill fated COVID quarantine program is now heading up Australia's immigration system. What could possibly go wrong? We'll get to all of that when we look at the papers. But first, Australian mining man man magnate Twiggy Forest has launched blistering tirade against fossil fuels, accusing those who promote them of being dictators and fascists.
Speaker 2: But of course, if you listen to people on the left.
Speaker 3: Everyone these days as a dictator and a fascist, so it probably doesn't mean too much. In a podcast to be released tomorrow, Australia's second richest man is asked whether fossil fuels are reliable and friendly and he launches into this explanation. He says, that's such rubbish. I mean, there's clever players out there. They're called dictators, fascists, oligarchs who send out bots all over the world, AI driven bots to create messages saying you've got to stay with the oil and gas because you know your energy costs are going to go up and you stand to have your standard of living going down, and my god, save yourself. Stick with fossil fuels, these bots are supposedly saying. He says, it's just rubbish. The cheapest form of energy on Earth is renewables. Well, Calebrin Liz, I've got a couple of questions. Firstly, Australia is one of the greatest exporters of fossil fuels coal exports, for instance, So is it Anthony alban Easy who's the fascist or is it his Resources Minister Madeline King. Second, my quarterly power bill keeps showing prices going up and up, so do I refuse to pay it on the grounds it's just an AI bond having me on.
Speaker 2: Third, when Twitgy insists that renewables.
Speaker 3: Are the cheapest form of power, is that true or is that just something that a billionaire with massive investments in renewables says from time to time. And finally, Twiggy and all his friends are trying to get Australians to move away from coal, which is cheap and reliable, and be forced to use renewables without our consent, which sounds kind of like what dictators and fascists would do. So is this not a case of pot kettle green.
Speaker 4: Liz, I'm just shocked to find out that we're bots. We're bots, apparently, only this is misinformation, disinformation saying your power bills going up, saying and reliable energy cannot be provided to you by green energy as it currently stands, we do still need fossil fuels. I read this entire article, reading what he'd said on the podcast, and cracked up laughing, being like, you must love newscock, buddy, because we are onto you and the fast that is currently green energy.
Speaker 5: I do not know why anyone would.
Speaker 4: Listen to this man who has made his fortune for desk You is worth fifty eight billion dollars off iron or a lot of mining, which means a lot of emissions, then transporting that iron ore way more emissions, and then a heck of a lot more emissions turning that iron ore into steel.
Speaker 5: Where do you get off? You have a.
Speaker 4: Private jet, you have your own yacht, and you're preaching to other people about the extremities they must go to in order to make this green.
Speaker 5: Dream a reality.
Speaker 4: Lastly, let's not forget that in July this year's failed back for Tescu's plan to ensure that he was going to create fifteen million tons of this u butte green energy by twenty thirty.
Speaker 5: So where's your real passion, mate?
Speaker 4: When you scowled that project back because drum roll please, it.
Speaker 5: Wasn't going to be cost effective.
Speaker 4: I mean, seriously, you're the second richest man in Australia. This is apparently your passion, but you're not willing to.
Speaker 5: Lose a dollar or two over pursuing it.
Speaker 4: Do me a favor. Why is anyone listening to this guy?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the irony is clearly lost on him that what he is doing here is exactly what he accuses the quote unquote dictators and oligarchs of doing, right, because what he's we imagine referring to is you know, Russia, in the Middle East and whatever that sells a lot of oil, and he's accusing them of running interference so that they can continue making money selling their products. But here we have man who's invested heavily in renewable energy running interference against the competitor so that people will be more likely to invest in his product. Where's the difference. There is no difference. He's doing exactly the same thing. I'd like to see one shred of evidence proof whatever he might have, that it is because of Russian bots and Middle Eastern AI bots that people have noticed that their power bills are going up, and that it's a lie that renewable energy is the cheapest form of energy. Where's the evidence? Bring it? Look, mister Forrest, you can find me email address, sorry, Taylor dot bond, that's goynews dot com dot AU. I invite you to email me the proof you have that this is all done by bots, and we'll show it on the program tomorrow night. I have literally never ever heard anyone suggest that there are Russian bots or any other sort of sort of bots running interference for fossil fuels. I've heard allegations about him being used in elections, I've never heard of it being used for fossil fuels. If Twiggy Forest is the only man in the world who has worked out that this is going on, please show it to me. But if I knew that all I had to do to were in the medium backs was being AI bot, I would have done it a long time ago.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing. They don't need to lie. They don't need to lie.
Speaker 4: It's the world over, as wetted as they may be to the green dream. And yes, we'd love to just run solely on renewables, and we are making great headway in that space.
Speaker 5: We all admit it's just not up to scratch.
Speaker 4: Yet we can't solely rely on renewables. So this idea that it's misinformation disinformation that we still need fossil fuels and that it's all so nobody needs to lie about that, it's just point in fact, otherwise we would all be taking up the promised land of renewable energy, isn't it the cheapest, isn't it the best? We'd all just be living in the land of milk and honey, powered by renewables. The only reason why we can't, the only reason why we don't is because we still do need fossil fuels. So him coming out saying this is misinformation, disinformation generated by aibots.
Speaker 5: N by Russia. It's always Russia.
Speaker 4: I mean, show me a problem that we don't have that is apparently Russia's fault.
Speaker 5: It's just nonsensical.
Speaker 3: We've got to give him a little bit of credit, though, because there was one other thing he said, and that was that the whole carbon credit scheme is a CROC that's been invented simply so investment bankers can.
Speaker 5: Trade and something we can agree on.
Speaker 2: That he's right about.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they maybe you've been written by aibots as well. Now, in barely over twenty four hours, people will be going to the polls into the US. I know that you will, like I will be glued to the coverage here on Sky News all through Wednesday our time, Tuesday their time in the US. Now it seems to be a bit of the calm before the storm. At the moment, the stories have slowed down a bit. You've had the last spate of rallies being held by Harris and Trump over the weekend. But we are getting to the pointy end of this campaign now. Harris, as we know, throughout this campaign, at many points, has struggled to articulate what her point of view is on anything. Really. She constantly ducks and weaves in interviews. If she's pressed on what her policies actually are, she simply tells you to go to her website. She can't seem to come up with a clear line on what she actually believes and would you believe it? CNN, of all the athletes in the US, has shown up exactly how duplicitous she has been. When she can actually come up with a policy, it's a different policy depending on which state she's talking to.
Speaker 6: Take a look, Tamala Harris is targeting crucial battleground voters with vastly different messages on Gaza and Israel. This ad is running in Michigan, which has the largest Arab population in America.
Speaker 7: What has happened in over the past nine months is devastating. We cannot allow ourselves to become numb to the suffering and I will not be silent.
Speaker 6: It's a very different story for an ad in Pennsylvania targeting Jewish voters.
Speaker 7: I will always stand up for Israel's right to defend itself, and I will always ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself because the people of Israel must never again face the horror that a terrorist organization called harmas calls on October.
Speaker 1: Seventh, What does Kamala Harris actually believe? Who knows? It depends on what side of the bed she woke up on that morning and who she's talking to. Speaking of Kamala Harris not being able to articulate her view on anything because she doesn't want to offend anyone, because the only thing she's got is that she's not Donald Trump. We know that her home state is California. Now at the election, as I said, in barely a day's time, in California, they will be voting. I was going to say protesting that comes into it later, voting on Proposition thirty six. Now, that is a proposal that the state constitution be amended to bring in a slew of new offenses and heavier offenses for theft and drugs. In particular, it would increase the penalty for repeat shoplifters. It would require drug penalties to be served in jail, so you couldn't have home detention. For instance, if you are caught with drugs, you would have caught imposed rehab and then if you failed that rehab, you would be sent off to jail. And also if you are prosecuted for drag dealing, the court would have to warn you that if someone died as a result of the drugs you sold them, you could be prosecuted for murder. Pretty straightforward crime, and this sort of thing right well, Kamala Harris was asked, how did you vote, because she's already sent off a vote, how did you vote on Proposition thirty six? Could you give an answer?
Speaker 5: Have you returned the ballot to California and how did you vote on thirty six?
Speaker 7: So I have my ballot is on its way to California, and I'm going to trust the system that it will arrive there. And I am not going to talk about the vote on that because honestly, it's the Sunday before the election, and I don't intend to create an endorsement one way or another.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would think this might be something on the minds of people, particularly in her home state of California. I mean, take a look at some of this footage of looting that has gone on in California. We assume, given that she doesn't want to tell us how she's voted, that she may well have voted against Proposition thirty six, and all of this kind of thing is perfectly acceptable to Kamala Harris. There may be a lot more of it under a Harris administration. I mean, look, she's got the final days to actually come out in the leader to the election say look, I believe in something. She still cannot do it. If she can't do it, now, how are we to expect that if she actually became president she'd ever actually be able to make any decisions on her own, little on any decisions at all, because she does not believe in anything.
Speaker 4: Well, no one expects that from her any right, quite as it goes currently, But this would have to be the easiest question to answer, How did you vote on Proposition thirty six?
Speaker 1: Go for it.
Speaker 4: Just be like, yes, of course, I'm tough on crime. Proposition thirty six is simply closing loopholes in the system which is making life far too easy for shoplifters and drug dealers. Yes, of course I voted for it. She could not even do that. And when you look at the crime stats in California, the state has gone to the dogs, not unusual for a Democrat run state that is way too soft on crime.
Speaker 5: Here was her chance to speak to a.
Speaker 4: Very real issue which is not only affecting California, but indeed the entire country. And yet she still couldn't just give a succinct, simple answer, instead backing your way and saying, oh, I'm not going to get into that because it's close to the election. Can you imagine if any politician said that here, Yes, it's close to the election. That is why it's very crucial to give us a point blank answer to a very easy question.
Speaker 5: Lady, she cannot do it.
Speaker 4: And as to the Israel Gaza thing, this feeble specimen is once again been caught out.
Speaker 5: You don't have a stance on this, really, Who do you stand with? Who do you stand with?
Speaker 4: Oh, well, you know in Pennsylvania standing with the Jewish community in another state where I know all few more Arabs in this area. I'm just going to be seen to be all things to all men. But one thing that is incredibly true politics. If you try to have a message for everyone, you end up having a message for no. And I think America has figured that out about this woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's an absolute mist She's like a vapor you. You can't get hold of her. The only time she ever makes any sense is if she's got a teleprompter in front of her, which is why she won't do mainstream interviews, preferring to perform on Saturday Night Live, because they're not going to confront her with the contradictions in her own campaign. Like CNN just pointed out there, and it was so telling as you said that her reason for not giving a position on Proposition thirty six is it's too close to the election. I mean, she might as well just come straight out and say I don't want people to know what I really think lest they don't vote for me. But speaking of people voting, you know, when you keep close to the bellet, you're supposed to be the underdog, aren't you, Because in America it's not compulsory to vote, so you really need to mobilize people to get out there. So the last thing you want is for people to think you're a shoe in because then well why would I bother going out into the you know, out and voting if you're going to already win. But Donald Trump does not thing according to orthodoxy, and he's boasting that he's pretty much got this thing in the bag.
Speaker 2: Have a listened, not supposed to say this?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm going to be like the fake is this saying it's very close. It's really not very close.
Speaker 8: Based on what's been happening the South.
Speaker 4: So close we're leading, We're leading in all seven swings. Say it, says, your brother will.
Speaker 2: It's really not very close. I've got this thing in the bag.
Speaker 3: There's a story on the front page of Tomorrow's Australian which says Trump will either be proved to be a genius or a fool, and that little clip will come back either to haunt him or to demonstrate, man, the guy is an absolute genius.
Speaker 1: It does seem an odd way to rev up you base, right, because like you said, what you want to do is get people to come out and vote. I mean, I would have thought the number one thing you'd be doing right now is putting the fear of God into people and saying if you don't come out and vote for me. You could end up with Kamala Harris for president, for heaven's sake, and instead of saying no, d it's all fine, don't worry about it now, he may well be right. In the polls which currently show it is quite close, particularly in the number of the swing states, are wrong. I think there is still a large contingent of people who are inclined to vote for Trump but almost feel ashamed of the fact that they are inclined to vote for Trump and won't tell polsters who tend to lean to the left what they actually want to do. But I don't understand why you would use that as your tactic because the media is going to report that it's close anyway, So what does it help you to go out and say, oh, well, I've got this one in the bag. Interesting though, was the polling out of Iowa yesterday, which Trump has had in the bag at the last two elections, supposedly showing that that could go to Harris. Now again, like all of these polls in the swing states, they are within the margin of era, So we don't know. I mean, they could all go to Harris, or they could all go to Trump, could be a split down the middle. Who knows. Again, it is within the margin of era, but I work being in play. It's not to think anyone had ever talked about or thought was going to happen. Who knows what's going on.
Speaker 4: I want to know where his confidence coming from. Because as much as the poles are looking good for Trump, when you're talking about the seven swing states, the bottom line is.
Speaker 5: Nobody knows until all the votes are counted.
Speaker 4: Your guess is as good as mine. And that's what all the polsters basically say to each other. They've all got different slightly different polls depending on which polster you're tuning into. But at the end of the day, the reason why these swing states are called swing states is they're highly unpredictable and there's a tiny margin separating the winner from the loser. And don't forget we've got the dodgy dominion voting machines. You may have seen some of those videos online people trying to vote for Trump. Yes it's happening again and being unable to.
Speaker 5: We've got some states saying.
Speaker 4: Hang on a minute, we've got more people on our electoral role, then we do have eligible voters in our states. That's a big problem. We've got the DOJ suing several states now who tried to clean up their electoral roles to get illegals off or people who weren't eligible to vote.
Speaker 5: So that's going marvelously. I mean, the list of ways.
Speaker 4: In which you're seeing tiny cheats, as well as them not allowing the Republican supervisors to be at polling booths, that was a whole another shious muzzle. All these tiny cheats can go a very long way depending on which counties. Remember, each of the states look after their own counting methods. Some of them have already flagged. This is going to take us days? Really, why this is the twenty first century?
Speaker 5: Why is it going to take you days?
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't be surprised if this actually drags out for weeks, as we see quite a bit of Shenanigan's playing out post election.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite interviews over the last twenty four hours in the US election is this one with Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 2: Pelosi's eighty four years old.
Speaker 3: Now, remember they got rid of Biden because it was obvious after the debate his mental decline was apparent for all to see. Now, the Democrats who are masters at gaslighting, have turned that back on Trump, and they're trying to point out that Trump is suffering from cognitive decline. Well, eighty four year old Nancy Pelosi tries to make that argument. But if you're going to accuse somebody else of suffering from cognitive decline, you should do a little bit better of a job hiding your own cognitive decline.
Speaker 2: Have a listen, good morning.
Speaker 9: Wonderful to be with you again on this weekend before the election.
Speaker 5: I think that what.
Speaker 9: The ex president just said is a further indication of his cognitive degeneration. You saw recently were talking about whether he chose electrocution or being eaten by sharks.
Speaker 5: Something's very wrong there.
Speaker 2: I think, Liz, you don't talk that well.
Speaker 5: Well, give her a break. How old is she to.
Speaker 4: Go about a thousand about it that I cannot remember a time before that woman was in Congress. I mean, it's sad to say, obviously I was old.
Speaker 5: Trust she is and it bows.
Speaker 4: And she wants to pick on his at mental degeneracy.
Speaker 5: Staying in the States.
Speaker 4: Now, there's a brand new issue counter Light that has gone absolutely viral.
Speaker 5: People are legitimately asking is this an election decider.
Speaker 4: You may or may not be aware of Peanut the squirrel. He is a viral sensation, and just so you're a little bit familiar with him before I tell you this sad tale of massive government overreach. Here he is during the happy days with his owner, Mark Longo.
Speaker 5: Don't get attached.
Speaker 4: What I'm about to tell you is devastating. So is a New York squarel right, and he was recently seized by the.
Speaker 5: Department of.
Speaker 4: Environmental Conservation to test him and his friend Raccoon.
Speaker 5: He also lived with Mark Longo, and they were euthanized.
Speaker 4: The state came to this guy's house, raided it, took.
Speaker 5: His animals and killed them.
Speaker 4: They said it was because they were there to test.
Speaker 5: Them for rabies.
Speaker 4: Now Here is owner Mark Longo explaining the drastic extent they went to in order to get their hands on his pet animals that he'd lived with for over seven years.
Speaker 8: It not only tears my family apart, but Peanut was the cornerstone of our nonprofit animal rescue and ten to twelve dec officers raided my house as if I was a drug dealer. I was sat outside my house for five hours. I had to get a police escort to my bathroom. I wasn't even allowed to feed my rescue horses breakfast or lunch. I was sitting sat there like a criminal. After they interrogated my wife to check out her immigration status, then proceeded to ask me if I had cameras in my house, then proceeded to go through every cabinet, nook and cranny of my house for a squirrel in a raccoon.
Speaker 1: They got a search warrant.
Speaker 10: They got a search warrant, four departments and a judge signed off on a search warrant for a squirrel in a raccoon, and then they took them and killed them.
Speaker 5: Government overreached, gone nuts.
Speaker 4: Now for some people this might be even a rather amusing if you're like the two men next to me laughing or trying not.
Speaker 1: To laugh because.
Speaker 2: It's a squirrel. That was a great joke. You did very well.
Speaker 4: You guys are the ones with the dad joke, So I.
Speaker 2: Make them mistakenly realize carry on.
Speaker 4: For some this may be a funny story, being like, well, why do people care the animals?
Speaker 5: The wild animals? Apparently they weren't supposed to.
Speaker 4: Be kept in a house domestically, even though both of them were abandoned, would never have made it in the wild, and that's why Mark Longo had taken them under his wings and made them viral sensations on the interwebs, raising money which he then used to fund a home for otherwise homeless animals. But this is a story about the government being able to barge into a man's house, treat him like a criminal, strip him off his rights, literally rifle through all his belongings, take his pets for no reason other than to test them for rabies. Can you not test an animal for raby while it's still alive and then hand it back. No, these guys call themselves the Environmental Conservation Department. They're killing animals, not helping anybody. And I love Elon Mask actually tweeted about this at least three times today. Here's a meme that he posted speaking to the issue. Here's Democrats in New York. They're not arresting illegals, they're not arresting rapists, They're not arresting the murderers that we keep hearing.
Speaker 5: About on the streets of New York.
Speaker 4: No, No, they're going straight after the squirrels. And all because some Karen Miles and miles away wasn't even in.
Speaker 5: The same state. Had reported this to.
Speaker 4: The department after seeing the happy couple on socials, couldn't bear it, had to report them, and now they're dead.
Speaker 5: There's a special place in hell for Karen's like this.
Speaker 3: This story just goes to prove that old Ronald Reagan quote that you know the government is not here to help it me the case that governments were there to safeguard your liberty. Now, governments exist to get involved in every minutia of your life and regulate it. And so this guy's got a pet, but it wasn't an authorized pet, and so the government. If Peanut had identified as female, it would have made a statue for Peanut.
Speaker 1: Or maybe if Peanut identified as a dog or a cat, it would have been Okay, you can own one of those without a permit. I mean, for heavens say, we need justice for Peanut. I mean, Peanut's mother was hit by a car and Marx or Peanut and took Peanut in and looked after him, as you said, list for seven years. Right. Yeah, this is an animal that at that point cannot live in the wild. It is a domesticated animal. If you released it. It would simply go on to die. Someone makes a complaint and they run in and say, oh, we've got to make sure he doesn't have a rabies. Well, could they have not just tech tested Mark and see and his wife and see whether they had rabies? Mean, they've been with a bloody animal for seven years, right, if the squirrel's got rabies, I'd say there's a fair chance they've got rabies as well? Who cares? Who cares it was in his house. This is what will happen if Kamala Harris is elected president. They'll come and take your animals. They'll kill all of them. They'll say, I want to take your pet and kill it. Before I contested.
Speaker 4: Happened a Trump administration. That Trump would have saved people.
Speaker 1: We already know that Donald Trump is the defender of the cats and dogs in Springfield, Ohio, and he will be the defender of the squirrels of New York as well. I want to know, do they not have syringes in the state of New York? I mean, could you not just take some blood from Peanut the squirrel to see whether he had rabies? Why did he have to be killed? Reminds me of that case of Molly the magpie, and she was a rescue as well and her own. She became famous on social media again for hanging out with a staffordshre terrrier dog. I mean, for heaven's sake, if even as Staffy gets along with a magpie, then it might be a pretty extraordinary bird. And someone makes a complaint and income the EPA or whoever it was to take the magpie away. How do we have any joy in this world?
Speaker 3: I think if you're on the key point here, if you've got a animal at home you're keeping as a pet that's not a regular orthodox pet, don't put it on social media. Because that's what happened on the Gold Ghosts. That's what's happened in the US. They've put these animals on social media, which has then invited every anonymous carren to complain.
Speaker 2: Next thing, the government are on your doorsteps.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the government, it's not much better here in Australia, we've just found out this weekend that Australia cannot afford a planned seven billion dollar military grade satellite system, which would ensure we have state of the art defense, but we can afford to pay off sixteen billion dollars worth of student debt so that Anthony Albanesi can gun a vote from twenty year olds at the next election. It was just eighteen months ago that the Australian government announced with great fanfare this new satellite system. They had gone out to tender contracted Lockheed Martin to produce three to five satellites that will protect the Australian military from cyber attacks. This was going to be incredibly important for our military defense. In fact, Air Vice Marshal David Schule said at the time. Currently across Defense there is up to eighty nine capabilities which depend on satellite communications. Once delivered, the new system will increase the resilience, agility and flexibility of Defence's military satellite capability. That was just eighteen months ago. But now we find out the government didn't allocate any money for this seven billion dollar project in the defense budget. So a year and a half after announcing this to the nation, they've now said, actually we're not going to do it. Bear in mind, though we spent what was at four hundred billion dollars on the voice referendum six hundred million dollars on a rugby team for popwork.
Speaker 2: New Guinea.
Speaker 3: We spend what is it about thirty forty billion dollars every year on indigenous affairs, but we can't find seven billion dollars. Just announced, as I said, sixteen billion dollars wiped off student debt, but can't find seven billion dollars to make sure our nation is as secure as possible in the likelihood of conflict with China in the next few years. This is just one of a litany of defense announcements that then turn out to be nothing burgers just months years later. We found out only a couple of days ago that our six Collins class submarines, five of them are currently under maintenance. One of them has been having maintenance for two years. We've got one submarine that can actually utilize.
Speaker 4: Honestly, China, just come and take us.
Speaker 5: Honestly, we're sitting ducks. They're reading these headlines too, going good grief.
Speaker 1: We won't have to.
Speaker 2: Fire a shot.
Speaker 3: The only big thing here is when our young people are speaking Mandarin, they won't come next.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, you point out all the other great expenditure in the budget. I mean where we always spend somewhere in the order of one hundred billion dollars on the indies and other welfare combined. Right, well, you won't have a country left to spend the one hundred billion dollars on welfare in the NDEs, we can't spend seven billion dollars to make sure that our defense infrastructure is not targeted by cyber attacks. And of course that will be the new way in which wars are fought. I mean, this is a system that would have communicated with doubleaf planes and this sort of thing. Right, the number one thing if you want to bring down a country right now is to attack their internet systems or their banking system, which of course is all digital now because cash is on the way out, et cetera. You can bring a country to its knees like that exact. That is how wars are going to be fought. So you would think this is the number one thing that you would find money to spend on. No, no, no, we couldn't possibly do that. When we were asked to send a ship up to the Red Sea to defend one of the biggest trade routes in the world, Oh sorry, we don't have one lying around that you could possibly use for that. We're talking about using birds to attack drones as in enemy drones, because we don't have any enemy drones of our own. We can't get drones for another five years or something because we're so far behind. Like it's not just the labor government, it should be noticed the coalition before them were just as bad. We've been so lax in creating defense infrastructure and personnel as well that we would need if things ever go down the toilet. And we are closer to global conflict or certainly conflict in the Asian region with a rising China than we have been in decades, and we are totally up the creek without a purpose.
Speaker 4: Why is it always defense announcement? So eighteen months ago they get all the applaud it. They don't tell anyone they've only a lot of our one hundred and fifty million dollars, which is that's not even going to get the project off the ground. So thanks for nothing. What were you thinking? They don't care.
Speaker 5: It sounds awesome. Australia thinks we're legendary. You've got to be so.
Speaker 4: Much safer against cybersecurity attacks, etc.
Speaker 5: And so on.
Speaker 4: Trust us where in now where Labor and were awesome?
Speaker 5: So they have the photo ops.
Speaker 4: Everyone applauds, being like, I can't believe we didn't have this sooner. Who is that liberal government that did absolutely nothing And here we are just a year and a half later and they're like, oh, by the way, it's not happening. Yeah, So we actually only gave it one hundred and fifty million, which was never going to achieve anything, not even get the stupid thing off the ground. We were essentially lying to you, weren't we because we don't have the money and we can't deliver on this project. Also, the other option is just go into more debt. I mean, we're all at eight and eighty billion dollars in debt, and I'm sure, given we're all well aware of the situation that Caleb just described, that's how you bring any country to its knees. You knock out their internet capabilities, their banking systems, all.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of ways to do it.
Speaker 4: Game over, red Rover, I'm sure Australians would be more than happy if you just whacked another seven billion onto our eight hundred and eighty billion tab, which we're paying millions of dollars every single day just in interest. But knowing that we would then have this capability, while five Eyes is telling us we are attacked almost on the daily by Russian intelligence, by Chinese intelligence.
Speaker 5: Cyber attacks are a dime a dozen. We don't talk.
Speaker 4: About it enough, obviously for intelligency reasons. They keep us in the dark, and probably so we can all sleep at night.
Speaker 5: That's nice.
Speaker 4: But this is something that is absolutely essential, and this is something that you want to say you don't have money for. You're in charge of the budget, reallocate funds or print the money because you're so good at that.
Speaker 1: Well, they could just run the numbers on how many upgrades we need to get from Quansas to save seven billion dollars somewhere in the budget, and away we go. Now, you might be aware of a proposal down in Victoria from the Allen government to basically put up twenty story towers along the Sandringham train line. Right, So, when this came out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, people like, hang on, we haven't been consulted about this. Now, the Planning Minister Sonia kill Kenny, you will see in this footage here standing next to the premiere, nodding along dutifully. Yes, she's very supportive of this. Policy. Take a look.
Speaker 11: The activity centers that have been identified here on the Sandringham Line is because the Sandringham Line today has the capacity in terms of the number of train services that run on this corridor, it has the space around these train stations. It's had the upgrades in local schools and.
Speaker 1: Kindom Brighton, Malvin Ringwood coincidentally not labor areas, but miss Kill Kenny, the planning minister who is now on board with the high density developments in Melbourne the Herald Son has found the receipts. She's not so on board with high density development when it's in her own backyard and Nimby is miss Kill Kenny. You can see here in this photograph her This was posted to Facebook on her MP facebook page. You know she's got her thumbs down where there would be a three story building going up. No, you can't have three stories in my backyard, but you and Brighton you should have twenty stories going up. She said in the post. It is entirely inconsistent with neighborhood character, the local ecology and landscape and indigenous heritage. Will set a really bad precedent. Yes, three stories, it's a really bad precedent. When it's in your suburb, but twenty stories is okay when it's in a place that votes for the Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: Come of the other thing she's been a part of is removing the ability for local councils to do planning so that residents can't really make their complaints known. But back in twenty fifteen as a member of Parliament she said it was imperative when you're doing developments.
Speaker 2: That locals are listened to.
Speaker 3: Quote, those best place to understand the social impacts on their communities are those who live and work in them. And of course now as a minister, she's maneuvered local councils so they don't get to.
Speaker 2: Reflect the voice of local residents.
Speaker 4: It's amazing the difference in ministerial portfolio.
Speaker 5: Mate like it.
Speaker 4: It's no mystery why she's changed her tune. But MPs always struggle with this, right because they want to talk up these massive projects, but at the same time they need to be re elected, so they don't want to talk it.
Speaker 5: Up in their area because.
Speaker 4: They know their constituents won't like that. So everywhere else is fine. They're all the same, They all do the exact same thing. Love the projects, desperately need housing.
Speaker 5: Two thumbs up, but.
Speaker 4: Not in my area because what matters to me more than anything else is being re elected.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we look at the papers, including the astonishing story of the bureaucrat in charge of Dan Andrews's failed quarantine program during COVID. She's now running Autralia's immigration system. That's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. Well, as you would expect.
Speaker 3: Most of tomorrow's papers, being the first Tuesday in November, caleber dominated by the big Race.
Speaker 1: Indeed, they are what a great day it is, Melbourne Cup Day, the race that stops a nation. We would show you the Herald Sun, of course from Melbourne, where the Melbourne Cup is run, but we didn't have it in time, so we'll give you the second best, which is of course the Advertiser where you can read my column every Friday. I hope you do that. By the way, it says on the front of the TiSER Tomorrow Legends of the Spring. Twenty one years after Nicki Hilton and here's sister Paris took the Cup by storm, the fashion designer is ecstatic to be back. Chipping Land legend to deal the headlines at this year's blockbuster. Now, my two colleagues here, being great fans of racing as they are, would you like to hand over your tips for the viewers? What have you got for me?
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm going for there's a horse I think smooth Criminal. It's eight to one, and that would be my tip on the second favorite.
Speaker 1: And you, well, that's only because I told you about that horse earlier tonight. It's called one Smooth Operator. Clo, Liz, have you got one for us?
Speaker 4: If there's a dapple gray, always bet on the dapple Gray.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, well I do.
Speaker 4: Let's someone who actually knows about it, really really expert.
Speaker 1: I'll give you give.
Speaker 4: You a future to keep your money, because I've only ever lost it listening to this man.
Speaker 1: Well, well, my records, my recod's been pretty good so far. This bring Carnival, I back the winner of the Everest, I back the winner of the core Field Cup, and I back the winner of the Cox Plates.
Speaker 4: So it's only when you get it wrong that you give me your.
Speaker 1: T That's right, that's right. I'm not doing too badly at the moment to get a pen and paper here's what I've got for you. Number thirteen one Smooth Operator, which James mentioned before, won the Geelong Cup. The four all minds out of the Geelong Cup into the Melbourne Cup. A traditionally very good. Craig Williams on board. He is in formed, it wants the distance, it's normally around the money. I think he's the top choice. Akita Sushi would be my second line. Jamie Carr, good South Australian jockey, of course, is on board. It's coming up off of first at Mooney Valley, a second at core Field. It's run the distance twice and one of course two miles thirty two hundred meters and often in these races it's hard to find a horse that has run the distance, so there is form there. My third would be Vauban, which was here last year and was widely tipped one of Willie Mullen's horses from over in Ireland. Now Willie Mullins is yet to win the Melbourne Cup. He's come second, he's come third, he's come fourth, he's come fifth, but he's yet to clinch the win. If Voban is better than he was last year, and he looks like he is he could be in with a chance. And I'll give you a real outside RUFFI the twenty Mostly Cloudy. Now he's a good stay. He's totally outclassed in this field. But if something goes really wrong, you never know. Mostly cloud he could be a chance. And so I have to say this so that people don't send in complaints. Please gamble responsibly, will you? But it is a fantastic day, Melbourne Cup Day. It's the adults day of the year. Right every other public holiday and I know it's only public holiday in Victoria, but every other public holiday is like a family day, right, Melbourne Cup Day is an adults day. Whe if you get to go to lunch and have some fun. Long may it rain the greatest race in the nation.
Speaker 4: Just remember, ladies and gentlemen, chances are.
Speaker 5: You're about to lose.
Speaker 2: So it's not smooth criminal, it's smooth operator.
Speaker 1: One smooth opera.
Speaker 2: That's the one.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the front page of the Newcastle Herald, otherwise Capable will never stop talking about the horse racing. Youth Reach Boiling Point reads the headline. Almost six thousand young people aged twelve to twenty four presented to emergency departments for mental health problems in Hunt and New England in twenty twenty two twenty three. The figure amount of thirty three percent increase in the last decade. Now, the article goes on to say, there are three primary reasons that psychologists believe so many young people are presenting with mental health issues. They are social media addiction, climate change concerns, and financial pressure. But now, after studying fifty five thousand cases over a seven year period, they've added to that list of problems hot weather. They found that the number of people presenting to mental health wards increased by one point three percent for every one degree rise in daily mean temperature. So especially those from sort of away from the coast where they were lower socioeconomic and didn't have access to air conditioning, This, apparently, according to researchers, is a major problem for mental health issues.
Speaker 5: I think that's just heat stroch.
Speaker 4: What has that got to do with mental health issues?
Speaker 2: Well, frustrated and annoyed.
Speaker 1: If you're already having a bad, bad time, it probably does make you feel a bit worse, right, But just get them some e conditions. I don't know. Look, it is worrying to think if you look at the broader numbers that there's been an increase in the number of people presenting the middle health issues. But of course we know that young people in particular have it harder than they've ever had it basically. And I know people go, oh, well, they've had it easier than they've ever had it, But I mean, they live in a world now where they are connected to the world twenty four to seven all the time, right, so the stuff that they are bombarded with and the bullying that can come home from the school yard to home and so on and so forth, like, it's a far more involved world than it ever was, So it's no surprise that kids would struggle with that. And of course you've got hard economic times, which means that parents are making decisions about what they can and can't do for their kids and can't buy for their kids, etc. There's been an increase across the board in mental health issues. Unfortunately, that's not going away. We go back to things we're talking about before we should be investing money in. That's one of them. But again it just gets ignored because I know there's some sexy stuff we can talk about instead. This isn't sexy, but it's really important.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a sad state of affairs because these guys are our future as well. To the front page of the Australian Capital, job for Dan's COVID bungles Chief Bureaucracy, ladies and gentlemen, the one place you know you can only fail upwards. A senior Victorian bureaucrat who ran Daniel Andrews's controversial nineteen COVID nineteen quarantine.
Speaker 5: And accommodation programs, is.
Speaker 4: Now overseeing Australia's immigration system from Melbourne, after being secondered from the State Labor government to Emma Cassa, who served as Victoria's Quarantine commissioner.
Speaker 5: We all remember how well that.
Speaker 4: Went, and Deputy State Controller for the state's COVID nineteen accommodation program has been put in charge of the Department of Home Affairs Complex Immigration Division from outside Canberra.
Speaker 5: This is the kind of thing that you read and.
Speaker 4: You say to yourself, this has to be a joke.
Speaker 5: This has to be a joke.
Speaker 4: Anyone who has bungled that badly in any manner of private business will not even be employed as the janitor in the same place of business. But no, now, this woman gets given a very serious, crucially important job federally in an department that is currently under a lot of scrutiny and meaning a lot to every single Australian.
Speaker 2: Are we really that surprised?
Speaker 3: I mean she was given an Australia Day Award for her stellar performance during COVID, So now she's been promoted and is working for the federal government overseeing, as you said, a much more complicated than COVID quarantine team.
Speaker 2: So yep, you just keep failing upwards.
Speaker 5: Part of the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, the rate of failing upwards within government services is incredible, right. I don't know why am I here? Why did I not just go straight into the public service. I'd be running the show.
Speaker 3: It's like Andrew Giles stuffed up Immigration and then he was promoted to Skills and Training Minister.
Speaker 2: So you know, it just keeps on happening.
Speaker 4: Lastly, before we go to a break, diggers get forty thousand dollars to hang about. At least they're getting something they certainly don't have the equipment they need. The Urban Easy government will spend a further six hundred million to try to turn around the defense's workforce crisis. Offering forty K bonuses to personnel to sign on for another three years. This, of course, is coming at a time where we all know the personal shortfall is due to hit about five thousand by July next year, because we haven't even been able to keep it at replacement rate for several years now.
Speaker 5: So will this work?
Speaker 4: Only time will tell. But given the amount of promises that are made by Defense, by our government to Defense and never delivered on, I think that's another reason why anyone considering signing up would be like.
Speaker 5: Actually, you know what, forget it. You guys are a joke.
Speaker 2: Yep, I reckon, You're absolutely right, We're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, the world's fat as cat has died, and scientists discover monkeys typing randomly forever would still not be able to reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: Who knew it's coming up in a moment.
Speaker 3: Well, A couple of Sydney mathematicians have debunked the infinite monkey theorem. This was an idea that if you left monkeys to type randomly on a keyboard forever, they would eventually be able to reproduce the entire works of William Shakespeare. Turns out they can't, at least not with that attitude. Then again, Shakespeare wasn't much good at climbing tree, so.
Speaker 2: There's that as well.
Speaker 3: I've got a theory, though, Caleb and Liz, if you let monkeys type for five weeks randomly, that eventually reproduced the Guardian.
Speaker 2: Maybe that I don't know, Maybe that's not true. Maybe in four weeks they could do it.
Speaker 3: The mathematicians found there's only a five percent chance that one monkey, if it typed NonStop forever, could reproduce the word bananas. What they didn't discover was whether the monkeys just aren't smart enough to do it, or whether they're simply too busy running Australia. There's two things that come from this. One, research grants are getting weirder.
Speaker 5: How much did we spend on me?
Speaker 2: Second?
Speaker 3: Is it finally time to simply admit the complexity of the universe and DNA really does.
Speaker 2: Point to, you know, intelligent design? Caleb, how how are.
Speaker 1: We spending money on this? Like, Okay, there's lots of problems in the world, and there were a bunch of scientists who woke up one morning and were like, we should work out whether monkeys could actually write ShakespeRe. Yeah, and then they did it. They did it like I don't know. Look, do you wonder what's wrong with the university system? Something deals me that this is a large part of it. Now I have to tell you about the world's fattest cat, Crumbs. He was rescued recently from the basement of a Russian hospital where he had been apparently raised on a diet of scraps, biscuits and soup. He weighed when they found him seventeen point two kilograms. He has one fat cat. They put him in a fat cat camp.
Speaker 5: He lost three.
Speaker 1: Kilos, but unfortunately he has now died. The people who are looking after him at the fat cat camp said, sometimes even the strongest cats cannot cope. Sometimes even the best doctors, rehabilitation centers and support from people around the world are not able to help. And may I say, on behalf of all of us here at Sky News in the late debate, that we mourn the loss of Crumbs the cat, because my god, if a cat can get to be that damn fat living off soup and biscuits in the bottom of a hospital, he deserves to have a statue made of him. As far as I'm concerned, he is an everyday hero.
Speaker 3: Everyday hero when at Capway seventeen kilograms. Crumbs was an ironic name. That's a fantastic round since the Reader Penney Show