Speaker 1: Oh hey, friends, fans listeners of this podcast called Healthy, thanks for joining us. Of course, this comes from Body and Soul and I'm your host, Felicity Harley. And joining us in the hot seat for the final time in twenty twenty four is our digital editor Holly Berkeleman, and we are chanting through the top health and wellness stories of the year. Yes, we're going to give you our phase today, Holly.
Speaker 2: We made it.
Speaker 3: We made it happy end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like we need, you know, the pop out streamers, and we do, and we have not.
Speaker 2: We don't even have wine in front of us.
Speaker 3: I know what a shame.
Speaker 1: But clap club clap hangover is still still No I'm fine, no, no, no, but I know it was.
Speaker 2: But it was last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a wedding on the weekend and which was a three day affair.
Speaker 4: It was beautiful.
Speaker 3: But let me tell you, my social battery is an absolute zero empty. Gone.
Speaker 1: I've got a wedding this weekend, my cousin's wedding fall. So I've got to get prepped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, prep not for anything else, but prep the social battery.
Speaker 4: That you know what, I don't think we just to digress.
Speaker 1: We will talk about the stories that we loved and loathed or made us laugh in twenty twenty four in one minute. But I think we underestimate how much energy it does take to intend social events at this time of year.
Speaker 3: I agree. Energy expenditure is my new focus, actually, because I've found that I need to have the whole weekend doing pretty much nothing to recover in time for the week because I like packing my weekdays full.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah, down days so important, down days.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Anyway, hit us off, what's one story that you loved?
Speaker 3: I think loved, love, loved, so instead of down days or maybe kind of similar, it's no spend weekends, which was a story from earlier this year, which basically challenges people to take two whole days where they don't spend any money, which, if anyone's like me, is pretty much impossible. I can't step out of my front door without accidentally spending like fifty dollars on one coffee, it seems like. But it's challenging people to kind of get in control of their finances a little bit, to try not to spend a single dollar on the weekend and do activity that doesn't mean you have to not do anything. You can do activities like going for walks, having people over to your house, cooking with things that you have at home, just to stop things from getting out of hand financially and give yourself a bit of control. And I think the best thing is, as the story rise, that you don't have to do it every weekend, but giving yourself, you know, these little challenges first is a great little dopamine hit if you manage to do it. But it's also just really good for saving. So you could save if you save two hundred and fifty dollars every month by not spending on the weekend, even five years, that adds up to fifty ten thousand dollars. And if you invested that, you could end up with about eighteen thousand, which is pretty good that it adds up when it really.
Speaker 1: Does, you're so right, Like, Okay, we laugh at spending dropping fifty dollars on a coffee, but you can go to a coffee shop on a weekend and then you might have a well bacon ed roll or something for you if you don't have a hangover. Yeah, then you pick up some groceries and then there's fifty it's just gone, yeah, but it's forbid.
Speaker 3: You want to take away? Yes, and you have three little kids. Oh my goodness. It's so expensive to be alive these days, and I think with the cost of living concerns, especially at the back end of the year, I think it's.
Speaker 2: A good little chat.
Speaker 1: I think this is a great one to take into the new year, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed with the cost of Christmas.
Speaker 3: And I agree, and the festivities can be so expensive.
Speaker 1: So well, I really like this term that came up earlier this year, millennio pause.
Speaker 4: That's a bit of about five times fast millennial pause.
Speaker 2: That's better.
Speaker 1: So I thought this is interesting. Now I'm actually on the cuss I'm like a young gen X millennial here, no no, no, no, no, at the end of the year. Anyway, I just really like this term because I felt like it summed up what a lot of people around me and a lot of listeners would be feeling. So millennials are entering perimenopause, so of course there's a word for it, and I think this one's just should be on our radar, and it's a big deal. And what I've loved particularly about this year and probably last year is that we are talking about perimenopause, menopause. It's normalized in a huge way.
Speaker 3: It's coming up in so many conversations so swiftly. Yeah, And I just feel the more that the millennial era gets into perimenopause, the more we're going to hear about it, feel empowered and that it's okay to talk about it. So I suppose this perhaps is my word of the year. And yeah, so for all those people who are feeling like they might be entering into perimenopause or are in there, or question whether they're in there, I think that's a big thing. Yeah, kind of don't know whether you're in there totally.
Speaker 1: This is an empowering word, just to throw around if you can pronounce it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: And you're right that the more millennials who come into this stage, the more we'll hear about it because they're outspoken, they know how to use social media properly. It'll just get more and more prevalent. So bring on, right, MILLENNI Paul, I love it, Millennio pause. Okay, what was next? My third one was another one I loved. I haven't done any ones. I hate it now because I'm we're leaving. We love wellness trends. We love wellness trends, and these are just the good ones. So my pick is low dopamine Mornings could be the wellness hack you need. That was the headline and low Dopamine Morning. So basically, I was trying to do things slower in the mornings and not stack your dopamine too much early on in the day so that you don't crash out by lunchtime, because I think we do this without thinking. A lot of the time. We wake up and we might, you know, make a coffee and look on our phones and play music and talk to your housemate, and you're doing all these different things which are building up your dopamine, and then you crash out because you get to work and you're sitting there and maybe you're a little bored, and then all the good.
Speaker 4: Stuff you're drained.
Speaker 1: I actually also like this because I feel like I feel like there's been a lot of pressure on people this year to get their morning routine right.
Speaker 2: Totally agreat.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are interview on this podcast are very particular about what they do in the morning, and sometimes when I hear them, I'm like, it's exhausting, like you do the ice prot then you go for a run, and then you do this.
Speaker 2: You catch me doing none of that. Can we just sit in stillness?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree. I actually have a thing that I tried to do this year, which is not so much this year. Actually I picked it up during COVID, Whereas because there was so much time to feel I always said to myself, just do one thing at once, So I don't watch TV and paint your names nails at the same time. Paint your nails and then watch TV because I was trying to fill up my time because I'm so bored. But I do think that this is similar to this dough dopamine morning thing and that wake up Maybe check your phone and then go for a walk, and don't message your friends to listen to a podcast at the same time. Just go for a walk and enjoy that stillness. I think that's something that we can take into the new year, especially post festivities when it's been so hectic.
Speaker 1: And it's a great perfect time because you might not be running off to work and you actually got time to take mornings. Yeah, just take a beat, guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the last story I'm going to end on a TikTok trend.
Speaker 2: For all this now a bit like the bean salad.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks, my faved, I love that I have to bring up the marry me chicken. We actually talked about this was not you, I think that was that was that yes to be in the hot seat, and it was big on the site, and did you write the story though I didn't write it anyway, it was yeah, this is this blew up on the website. Also, we talked about the podcast, and it blew up on the podcast. It's a dish that's garned millions of viewers online, and it's obviously for those who don't know. It's for women to make hoping that a chicken dinner will make their partner pop the question or fall in love with them or I.
Speaker 4: Mean it's so good, it's also bad, so bad.
Speaker 1: It's very Nora Efron I love, yeah, but I actually like, I mean, obviously women came out feminists and said, oh, you can't do this, there's more to you know, we're not what are we reverting back to nineteen fifty and sixties when we're of course there's models step wives, But I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, I liked it. I thought it was harmless.
Speaker 4: It's really good.
Speaker 2: Have you made it?
Speaker 3: I haven't made it because I'm so scared of cooking raw chicken. I was raised in a vegetarian household.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: They call to meet for us, but I'm scared of raw meat, so I don't do it myself very often. But I should make it, and maybe I'll make it for my friends rather than making it for a few us.
Speaker 4: It's really easy.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm gonna make it for dinner to night.
Speaker 4: I make it for myself, marry myself chicken. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: It's just I'm just going to call it bloody good chicken recipe perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Holly, it's been so nice having you in the hot seat this year.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. It's been so much fun.
Speaker 1: And have a great Christmas, New Years, and we'll see you.
Speaker 2: Well back on deck in January.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to report back and hear about your holidays as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah you too, I see then.
Speaker 4: Bye well, folks.
Speaker 1: That wraps up our podcasts for twenty twenty four. Next Monday, we kick off with our Summer series, which of course are our best ofs from the past year. There are some really good interviews coming up for you. If you want to read any of the above stories, I will leave the links to all of those in the show notes. Anything else hedybody, insoul dot com dot are you can follows on socials dm me at Felicity Harley. Thanks again for joining us as always, and of course have a wonderful Christmas, a happy New Year, and try and stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Is a four at