Speaker 1: You can listen to the Front on your smart speaker every morning to hear the latest episode. Just say play the news from The Australian. From the Australian, Here's what's on the Front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, July twenty six. Anthony Albinizi is setting the scene for his first cabinet reshuffle, with Indigenous Affairs Minister Linda Bernie quitting politics and pressure to dump underperforming Immigration Minister Andrew Giles. Australia has imposed sanctions and travel bands on seven Israelis and one religious youth group linked to beatings and sexual assaults against Palestinians. It comes as the conflict continues to rage in Gaza and Israeli PM Benjamin Netnia, who begs the UN for more weapons. That story is live now at the Australian dot Com Dot A you a presidential address to the United States and a decidedly luke warm endorsement of Kamala Harris. Today we unpacked Joe Biden's first public appearance since he stepped out of the race for the White House. Greg Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor. Greg Joe Biden started his speech in the Opal Office, referencing the fact that he was sitting behind the resolute desk.
Speaker 2: I follow Americans, I'm speaking of from behind the resolute tesk in the Oval Office.
Speaker 1: There were flags and golden curtains behind him. The symbolism was all about being the president. Wasn't at all about power?
Speaker 3: Yes it was, But he betrayed the symbolism, of course, by his very faltering delivery.
Speaker 2: You know, when I came to office, conventional wisdom was a China would inevitably pass, passing United Dates.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: In a very short address which he must have rehearsed five thousand times, he still couldn't read the teleprompter properly. But over office speeches inherently radiate the power of the presidency. Although in recent years they haven't been very successful, they have less and less magic about them. Over office speeches, they just looked so artificial.
Speaker 1: It became clear from quite early in this speech that he wasn't going to acknowledge that he was in cognitive decline or in any kind of distress. He talked about it being the honor of his life to have served as president, but presented himself as someone who was such a patriot that he was going to step aside.
Speaker 2: I reviewed this office. I love my country more. It's been the honor of my life to serve as your president with this secret task perfecting our union. It's not about me. It's about you, your families, your futures. It's about we the people. We can never forget that, and I never have.
Speaker 1: What did you think about that choice not to reference explicitly the fact that he was struggling.
Speaker 4: We look to be.
Speaker 3: Honest with your class. I've been in America several weeks now. I'm watching this on the West coast, and first of all, most Americans couldn't care less about politics, and especially if they're not in the battleground states. But secondly, the whole premise of Biden's speech was ridiculous. I mean, he was saying that fifty Democrats could beat Trump, and I my record as the best in the world, and I'm fabulous, But I've got to drop out to maintain democratic unity.
Speaker 2: You know, original weeks has become clear to me I need to unite my party in this critical endeavor. I believe I record as president, my leadership in the world I visioned for America's future all married it a second term, but nothing, nothing can come in the way of saving our democracy that includes personal ambition.
Speaker 4: So there's a logical flaw in this.
Speaker 3: Why is the Democratic Party so disunited if his record and prospects are so fantastic. So the question you ask is very acute. He said he was resigning to preserve unity, but he didn't say what had caused the disunity. And what has caused the disunity is that in the debate with Trump, he was obviously not competent. And I think it's very ineffective in politics when you try to deny what is just.
Speaker 4: Obvious before the voter's eyes.
Speaker 3: So you know, the liberal press will be weeping over this and saying, how you know what a noble, splendid Churchill in figure Biden is.
Speaker 4: But I thought the thing just lacked the slightest semblance of logic.
Speaker 3: He neither said I'm no longer confident, nor did he say, you know, thirty congressman and a half a dozen senators and a million fundraisers have all told me to quit because they won't support me any longer.
Speaker 1: Did he seem to you like someone who's been dragged to this moment and who still doesn't really acknowledge that he is into client.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: According to Joe Biden, he has selflessly trying to run again even though he would win, and his record is unequaled in the world, and America is the greatest position it's ever been in that lacks no logic. So what that means is is a guy denying reality. But you know, he's a sort of an old fashioned political pro and he has at least been able to take the message that this is an offer you can't refuse, you know, I mean, the Democratic Marfia has come to him and said, look, let me make you an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 4: So you're either going to resign.
Speaker 3: Your candidacy nobly and we're all going to weep about what a saint you are, or you're going to get beaten by Trump eighty twenty because none of us is going to support you. And you know, it's not too late for us to swing behind a third party candidate. And all kinds of threats were, no doubt made behind the scenes, and you know, we'll look again at Hunter's situation and who knows what sort of things were said privately, but he was bludgeoned into this decision.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: I'm going to call for a Supreme Court reform because this is critical to our democracy. Supreme Court reform. You know, I'll keep working when sure American remains strong, secure, and the leader of the free world.
Speaker 1: One of the first ideas he invoked was Supreme Court reform. Now, I was watching this speech on the YouTube feed of the Associated Press, which was also running a comments thread from people who were watching. Forty eight thousand people watching, and that remarks Supreme Court reform prompted a wave of kind WTF, you know, what.
Speaker 4: The hell is he talking about? So what is he talking about?
Speaker 3: It's a very good example of the bidon non secuitur. So early on in the speech, he says, we must stop thinking of people we disagree with as enemies.
Speaker 4: They're just fellow Americans we disagree with.
Speaker 3: Then he says, but this election is for the preservation of American democracy, meaning that my opponents are fascists, they're all anti Democrats, and if you elect them, that's the end of American democracy. Similarly, there's a contradiction with the courts. When the courts are delivering decisions which Biden the Democrats like, they say, the Republicans are intensely irresponsible for undermining the court and the court system, which is independent of politics, and which sometimes gives you decisions you like, sometimes gives you decisions you don't like, and you should put up with the decisions you don't like and not undermine the system.
Speaker 5: At the Supreme Court today, an historic upheaval in a sweeping ruling that overturned a half a century of presidents, five justices ended the right of American women to choose abortion under the Constitution.
Speaker 3: But then if the Court gives a series of decisions that the Democrats don't like, it all of a sudden becomes a corrupt Supreme Court and they no longer want the judiciary to exercise the power of the judiciary. Now, theoretically, there are many ways you could reform the court. You could legislate for another twenty justices and appoint them all yourself, and then you've got a wonderfully stacked court. But that'd be very hard to do because you'd have to get the legislation through their House of Representatives and the Senate. Or you could legislate for term limits. But the independence of the Supreme Court justices has always meant that they can't be fired. There is no term limit and there's only a certain number of them. And if you make the court something which the administration can shape absolutely. I mean the Australian High Court only has a certain number of members. The government appoints the members. That doesn't have to go through the Parliament or anything. But it only has a certain number of members. If you enlarge it by twenty or something, then every incoming administration can just appoint twenty new judges and the court becomes completely politicized, even much more than it has been with fifty years of judicial activism under it's spelt.
Speaker 1: So, is that a gift to Trump and the Republicans to suddenly throw into the minds of people who hadn't thought about it before that the constitution of the Supreme Court is now up for grams.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that is probably a mistake for the Democrats to campaign on that. But Kamala Harris doesn't have many issues she can campaign on. Despite what Biden said, you know, the border has been a disaster. I legal immigration has been a disaster. Inflation is problematic, crime is very disturbing to people. But the main thing she's going to campaign on, I think is abortion rights.
Speaker 6: We'll believe reproductive freedom will stop Donald Trump's extreme abortion bands because we trust women to make decisions about their own body and not have their government tell them what to do.
Speaker 3: Because restrictions on abortion, whether they're ethical, on proper or not, are unpopular across the United States, and the Supreme Court reform will be seen as a way of getting back to a position where the federal authorities guarantee abortion rights from the moment of conception to the moment of birth, Whereas what the Supreme Court has done in overturning Roe versus Way is effectively meant that every state can legislate however it likes.
Speaker 7: Florida's six week abortion band goes into effect today, that significantly shorter than the fifteen week band that had been in place up until this point. Now almost every state.
Speaker 1: In the South has restrictions on the procedure.
Speaker 7: Arizona will soon be the latest state with a near total abortion ban after that state Supreme Court revived a one hundred and sixty year old law. The law provides no exceptions for rape or incest, and in its four to two opinion, the conservative majority wrote quote, physicians are now unnoticed that all abortions except those necessary to save a woman's life, are illegal.
Speaker 3: So I suspect that Kamala Harris will think she can energize young voters, voters with a feminist consciousness, college activists and so on on the abortion issue, and the Supreme Court is linked to that. It's almost inconceivable that any administration would get Supreme Court reformed through because you would think that the Senate would block it under any configuration.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Joe Biden has endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris to run for resident, but did his address reveal what he really thinks about his second in command? And if you're looking for up to date analysis on the American election, written by some of the sharpest political commentators in the world, head to the Australian dot com dot u. In front of a screaming crowd of Republican faithful, Donald Trump took to the stage in North Carolina.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much, Thank you, Richard.
Speaker 1: This was his first rally since President Joe Biden announced he wouldn't contend the election. It was vintage Trump.
Speaker 8: So now we have a new victim to defeat lion, Kamala Harris, lion l Yianna pass the most inc and far left a vice president and American history. By the way, they did a poll, she was rated the worst vice president in history. I've never seen that poll before, but that's the poll.
Speaker 1: A few hours later, Joe Biden would address the nation. This was his time to throw his support behind the de facto democratic nominee to dilute the vitriol of Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Just a few months. The American people choose the course of America's future. I made my choice, I made my views known. I like to thank our great Vice President Kamala Harris. She experienced, she's tough, she's capable, She's been an incredible partner to me and the leader for our country.
Speaker 1: That took twenty seconds, and that's all Joe Biden said on the topic of Kamala Harris, the woman who hopes to become the forty eighth president of the United States of America. Hardly a glowing endorsement.
Speaker 3: I thought there was a bit strange, really quit So obviously Biden kind of hates Kamala Harris because she's edged him out of the presidency, but you would think he'd be ruthless enough to know that it's much better for him if she wins, much much better for him. First of all, he certainly won't be prosecuted for anything, nor will his family. And secondly, his resignation and his legacy will look much better. But he didn't do anything for her in this speech much now.
Speaker 4: Of course, he never liked her.
Speaker 3: He never, I mean, he chose her because he boxed himself into a corner saying that he would have to choose a nominee, a vice presidential nominee who was an African American woman, and she was the most prominent African American woman at the same time. He was quite happy to choose her because she was so profoundly mediocre that she would never pose any threat to him. So he foresaw this moment and like a lot of presidents in history, chose a mediocre vice president on purpose. You know, Richard Nixon chose both Spiro Agnew and Gerald Ford, as is abundantly clear in all the biographies, because he thought they were both such mediocre dunderheads that nobody would ever try to over him. Dwight Eisenhower chose Richard Nixon for much the same reason. And leaders do this, especially in secure leaders. The only leader who really chose a coequal but Ronald Reagan chose Bush Senior and Bill Clinton chose Al Gore. But they're the only two examples in probably the last sixty years where you could say a president chose someone who really would be a very viable replacement for them.
Speaker 1: Biden's speech had a vibe of this is it over to you, Kamala. So now the handover from Biden is done, what are her prospects?
Speaker 4: Remember Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: She ran in the twenty twenty Democratic presidential primary, and her campaign was so poor that she actually quit before the first care or primary was held. She had no votes from anyone. Now, she might still win the presidency because half the nation likes Trump and half the nation hates him, and that half the nation who hates him will certainly vote for her, and the pro Democrat media, you know, CNN and the New York Times and so on, will paint her as a magnificent, genius, fabulous blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: She failed her first bar exit.
Speaker 3: You know, she won her first election in California by less than one percent, when every other Democrat running for statewide office run by more than ten percent. There is no evidence at all that she is either a vote winner or a competent person. And then as Vice president, everything she's touched has turned to misery. She had the assignment of fixing the southern border and that was an absolute disaster, and then she ran away from that assignment, and then Biden never gave her really a serious job to do as vice president. So Kamala Harris, even though I think she is extraordinarily mediocre and poor as a presidential candidate, nonetheless could win. We had two old men who both of them the whole of the United States detested. The polls were overwhelming that Americans wished neither of them was running. So Biden has been replaced. But because he's so selfishly clung to office for so long, the Democrats haven't been able to have a primary.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It's hard to imagine Kamala Harris would have beaten Gretchen Whitmer or Shapiro or any of these powerful governors in all our primary and she's been handed the job, just as she was handed the jobs in California. Now, of course, the campaign will bear a bingdong battle between Kamala Harris, who is a California Liberal, and Trump, who is a kind of wild rhetorically wild nationalist. So it's intensely unpredictable. It's a better choice than Biden versus Trump, I guess, because Kamala Harris has not ended the sort of mental decline that Biden.
Speaker 4: Has entered, but is still a pretty poor choice.
Speaker 3: For a country as big and magnificent as the United States to produce Kamala Harrison Donald Trump as their two presidential alternatives. I mean, frankly, I'd like to buy both of them at my estimate, sell them both at their estimate. I think i'd be Quin's ahead.
Speaker 1: Greg Sheridan is the Australians Foreign Editor. Thanks for joining us on the front this week. Our team is Stephanie Coombs, Joshua Burton, Jasper leak Leat, Sam mcglue, Christian Amiot, Tiffany Demac and me Claire Harvey.