Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Disappearance of Katie Walker podcast. Over the last week, several mainstream publications have helped bring more attention to Katie's story and more of the Australian public are now aware of what is starting to feel like just a complete failure on behalf of New South Wales Police and what I would call incombatance. Is the subject of today's podcast, and I will be speaking to Lucas from Proof Investigations, who is the PI that Katie's family have hired to.
Speaker 2: Help them find answers.
Speaker 1: First though, just to recap, as we know, Katie was last seen walking down Alexander Street onto Gaelock Avenue in Tamarama at one twelve pm on May twenty third, and that timestamp there is quite important to remember because this week I also saw text messages sent from New South Wales Police to one private residence on that street where they were requesting their CCTV footage, and in that text message the police asked, hey, can you send uzoil footage from two pm until eight pm? Despite the fight, Katie was on the street at one twelve pm. And when I read that message, I fought like, surely not, surely they cannot be that incompetent, but yes, it appears they are. And the person who received that message their camera on their houses at the top of Gaelic Avenue, so maybe some maybe one hundred or so meters from where Katie was last seen, and that angle could.
Speaker 2: Have captured something crucial.
Speaker 1: But yes, in the message I saw, the police asked for footage from the wrong fucking time, like sorry to swear, but the wrong fucking time, like it's it's just infuriating, and you know this person. When they got the message, they then spent a while pulling together footage from that six hour window from to till a as requested, and they dropped that off at the police stay on a hard drive and they then never heard from the police again. And the police never followed up saying, hey, could we also get the footage from one to two as well? And they also didn't send them a message and hey, could we also get the footage from after eight pm? Because when they realized, hey, Katie was not seen in any footage. Again, it's presumably because well she'd already left or she was still there in a property perhaps, And then yeah, when I found this out and I spoke to the person, I said, could you please go back and retrieve the footage from one pm to two pm and then footage from after eight pm, but especially the one to two pm window, because as we know, that is when Katie was on the street, and as they then logged onto their system to do that, they couldn't do that because so much time has now passed that all the new footage since then has overwritten all the old stuff from that day and it is gone forever, which is just fucking like you can't.
Speaker 2: It's inexcusable.
Speaker 1: And I emailed New South Wales Police media asking how they could get this so wrong, and I of course never received a reply. And I also emailed New South Wales Police media asking what inquiries have they actually made on that street where Katie disappeared, As since my content had started rolling out, one resident who lives meters from where Katie was last seen had no idea about her disappearance until they saw my content and realized, oh shit, this is the street I live on. There's my house in the back of this guy's video. And you know, they never received a knock on the door from the police to ask if they saw anything or had any information, despite as far as I'm aware, the police implying to Katy's family they did that. And again like if I knew the police hadn't done that, I would have done that when I first found out about this. But for these the most simple boxes here, the footage and knocking on doors would have been the first thing ticked off. But I can't understand how that foot has been lost. And this person who lives meters from where Katie was on that street had no idea. And again when I asked New South Wales Police about this and knocking on doors, I didn't receive a reply to that either.
Speaker 2: And for those of you who aren't in the media and unaware.
Speaker 1: What police media is, I'll read you this from their website and it says the primary purpose of New South Wales Police Media Unit is to manage public communication, handle media inquiries and support active investigations.
Speaker 2: AKA.
Speaker 1: The entire purpose of that unit is to provide media like myself journalists like myself with statements and guidance to assist with our coverage and so we can report accurately on their investigations and also to help them with their public appeals. But since I started this podcast, and I've emailed them several times and I've you maded them pretty much with everything I've spoken about on this podcast, I haven't had a single response, And in my opinion, that's because they just do not care about Katie Walker. And that was made apparent, you know, to me in my opinion this last week, when one of the detectives on her case, after he returned home from a vacation I believe or an you will leave, which Katie's family had no idea about, and they were questioned in that week why they had no correspondence. He told Katie's family this week that they have made no progress at all, which isn't surprising because it sounds like they've put no effort in. Therefore, how could they make progress when they've done nothing to try and progress this case? And for those still just baffled like me, just why and how they can have such little care for this and just get so much wrong. I'm now going to be joined by Lucas from Proof Investigations, who I kind of speak to you daily. To be honest, between me and him and Katie's family were all communicating and sharing everything we figure out, and this is what we feel the next steps need to be Hello, Lucas, how you doing, Like, hey, yeah, I'm good for your first time on the podcast, which is weird to me because we speak pretty much every day in the last two.
Speaker 3: Weeks, maybe two three times today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were driving to work do with it another job and you said it. You just feld me like, oh, it's my routine now, Like because we're sharing all this information and the leads were getting constantly and the podcast I'm doing today, I've just been talking about what we've been chatting about the police's lack of just interest in my opinion and proaction, and like, why do you think the police just don't seem to care.
Speaker 3: I think from the start they you know, they saw the final footage of Katie at Tamarama were near those stairs, and also they've been given information against misinformation or information on Katie's you know mind of thought at the time or now we're finding out information about that. You know, she wasn't really like that. She was a mother that really wanted to be with her kids. So I guess we saw that information they just you know, put one on one together. They said, okay, it's easy. You know, she was last scene at these stairs. She must have gone into the water. That's it.
Speaker 1: And when you say fed this information like about her state of mind which maybe suggested the suicide for you, Like all the people closest to her, her friends, family, none of them have said that.
Speaker 2: It's more.
Speaker 1: From my understanding, they questioned that mine she met in the pope and he maybe implied she could have been suicidal.
Speaker 2: And he's the man who knows of the least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these these friends that these friends that that the police have interviewed, they they didn't interview the friends that we found that were closest to her. So for example, Elizabeth and and Justine. I I approached them through a post that I saw Elizabeth post on on Katie saying where is my friend Katie? Can anyone helped? So I approached her and said, hey, you know, this is who I am. Can we talk? And and I haven't received an email from the police a few weeks later because the dad was pressuring the police into interviewing them, and they emailed me saying, hey, can you give me the details for these for these friends because we don't know who they are.
Speaker 1: It was like because they were the first people I found as well and spoke to. And they're the easiest people because they were the only people on social media posting about Katie and like search, Yeah, like the police having to ask you for their details, like fuck me, just open Instagram and then it's just for straight and again because everybody Katie was talking to most in those final days, you know, her family, these two friends in America, they're all saying one thing, that she would never do what the police think she did. And they've based this whole theory off one they comment from a man she met in the pub who they questioned, so they he kind of planted this seed of doubt that you know, the police already fought at that point. Oh, she's gone missing near the water. This doesn't look good. Then they've saw what they think were the letters in her apartment, which everybody who knows that says, well, they're not letters. They don't say she's going to take a life. It's also not her handwriting, and things are misspelled, so they're there questioning whether they're even authentic. And then all the friends and family are saying all these things about why.
Speaker 2: She would never do what the police think.
Speaker 1: But then they found this man she spoke to in the pub and he's like, no, I think she would. And they're basic, you know, the whole theory of circumstantial evidence and the word of one man who doesn't know Katie.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, that's right, I mean, And even you know, we found out they paid his handwriting. Apparently it was amazing handwriting, you know, if it was her last letter to leave to her children. Apparently that that letter was scribbled. You couldn't even read it. So I doubt it very much that that was the case. I don't see it. I see that something something else is. I think someone has the clue. Someone out there knows something that that is going to link everything up. Eventually. We even did, we even put drones out to see if there was anything, you know, to follow through with what the police have said. So we want to say, okay, let's put drones out, let's put let's go and search the cliffs and see what we find. We couldn't find anything, anything at all. Even when the parents for the dad first approached me, he said to me that the police said that he went to Tamarama as she walked all the way to the gap. Can you please told me how far that is? Because he's from England, right, And I turned around to him and I said, look like he's wearing even in sport. Who's I can't walk to the gap?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just context for the listeners who don't know that. When you know, the police had this theory Katie went into the water Tamarama. Then when they started to realize actually that's probably quite impossible given the time of days, they then had this theory. All she probably just walked to the gap, which is the well known spot up in Dover Heights. Fool close, but that's a good hour or so walk all uphill, and it's like they had nothing to base it off of it. Then we think she's ended a life and a lot of people end the life in that in that spot. Like again, nothing makes sense. Yeah, and you didn't even like just get the droner. You've spoken to local drone pilots who fly the drones every day for the shark. You've spoken to the the surf life savers, like all the people who know that that water there and that stretch of lifts more than anyone, and they've all gone. There's no way she's gone in here. And I think one thing we should say here, Lucas that we've been saying lately is in our opinion or you know, my opinion. But the police, they just need to go back to square one and stop thinking it was a suicide and start the whole investigation again, because it feels like all this focus has been where could she.
Speaker 2: Have gone into the water? What happened on that street?
Speaker 1: But in my opinion, I think the police need to let's forget about the street for now. One question, Well, Katie's disappeared. Who could possibly want Katie to disappear? Who could benefit from somewhere from Katie disappearing, whether that's you know, financially, emotionally, you know, maybe Katie's presence, Maybe she knew something, maybe like do you know what I mean, there's all these parts of her life that were slowly uncovering from all these various people and shady characters she's met, Like let's start again, and like even you you told me a while ago. The police did question a few people, you know, we know the man from the pub, but it feels like all that line of questioning was more what was the state of mind? Like do you think Katie could have killed herself? Rather than being like, hey, where were you that night.
Speaker 3: That's that's right, that's right. And whenever I so my my my point of contact is Katie's dad. And when whenever I email him saying hey, you know, we've found this, this information, this information, and how about if the police can do this, this and this, he just writes back to me saying the police won't. The police don't want to hear it. They don't. You know, they're not they're not communicating with me. They haven't. I mean I think he's ridden to him maybe like four or five weeks ago, if I'm not mistaken, and it's still he has not received an email back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Katie's father and brother, you know, we can now say they also went to Dubai recently. They found where Katie was staying. They went to that hotel to try and get footage of that man from that night of the incident who broke into her room, and the hotel would not hand it over. They said the police have to do it, so they passed this invo to New South Wales police.
Speaker 2: They've done nothing with that.
Speaker 3: That's right. Even I caught up in your past podcast you mentioned about the flight center about how they you know, she may have got tickets. I called flight center to see if you know, if you did actually buy the tickets and go and get them, and she's the flight center said we can only give that information out to police. And I mentioned that to the dad again, and the dad mentioned it to the police. So it's really hard to get information when your hands are tied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as an investigator, there's only so much you can do. Like and if we had proved Katie booked that flight, then that's almost definitive that why would she end her life when she did have this plan? You know, you try to get the flag center to confirm, but for privacy, they can't pass this to the police. Again, it's another lead they just aren't following. And like it's at the point where it's like, well what the I f do, Like we Katie's family have to do.
Speaker 3: And it's obvious Katie had a plan. I mean she was you wanted to book the tickets to get out of a trailer because of a visa, renew her visa, come back to her kids and spend her life with her kids. I mean that too. Her friends does not sound like someone that will end their life.
Speaker 1: Nah, it's just sad and I think we've both felt it as well, because like you know, it's it's not consumed us, but where we've put so much time and hours and emotion into this trying to help, and like a lot of people don't even know the things you did in the early days, you know, like do you remember you're telling me you were going around the local op shops and sales shops, you know, to see if her like a turned up anywhere, because maybe if you could find that, then at least that would maybe suggest it was left behind somewhere.
Speaker 3: And she Yeah, I was actually thinking, you know, if someone was someone wants to find the bag or the high heels or anything like that, you know, maybe they might sell them at some op shop or you know, pass it on that way. I didn't find anything. I went through pretty much the Holy and suburbs where they saw secondhand stuff. Didn't find anything. We did pamphlets and stood in the street where she was last seen and gave out pamphlets to just refresh people's memories. Yeah, it's it's something that's really you know, there is a clue there. There is there is something there that we just haven't found it yet. And I think when when we do find it, it will all come together.
Speaker 2: It feels like we're getting close yet was so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're getting close with the information that we're getting, and then when we try and look into that information, we get blocked by only police can to get this information, and then you sort of pass it on to the police and they're doing nothing with it. So it's it's really hard.
Speaker 1: There's also one thing for listeners to know about the police because someone I read a comment once saying maybe the police aren't sharing much information because they're onto something that they don't want people knowing.
Speaker 2: But I don't believe that's true.
Speaker 1: Firstly, because as a journalist, when you're working on an active investigation, like everything that I've reported on in my pot, I put to the police first saying can you comment on this, can you offer a statement?
Speaker 2: Can you give clarity?
Speaker 1: And if it was something of significance that they didn't want publicly out there, they would like kind of say, hey, you can't report on that, I'll share that, I'll try to suppress the content because that would interfere with an active investigation. They haven't done that once. They haven't replied to a single email I've had and even you as a PI. They've not once said to you, hey, you're you're getting in the way here, you're doing like they didn't they even tell Katie's family they're welcome to get their own PI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, towards their end of their discussions, when when Katie's dad was going to leave, the police pretty much said to him, We've come to this kind of conclusion type thing. You're more than welcome to get privately now, you know, get private drones, get private everything, and private investigator. And going back to the drone and the Life Savers, I was speaking to the lady that she did, she does the drones for the Life Savers, and she said they get they get almost every single day. You know, people come into the Life Savers and saying, there's a dance over there that looked really suspicious. That's someone that's really close to the rocks over there. I think you guys should go into it out. You know, there's someone walking and they don't they look a bit suspicious. So there's people going all the time to the Life Savers and letting them know that, you know, what they see on their walks. And there's a lot of people whoever's done that walk, will know that there is a lot of people walking, there's a lot of eyes out there at that walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again that just kind of goes back to what we said earlier of the police, in our opinion, go back to the start. Stop focusing on this thing she went into the water. You know, they went into this investigation with this theory that they then seems they just tried to prove rather than actually investigating, and now they need to go back investigate, speak to every single person who knows Katie, who Katie has interacted with in Australia.
Speaker 3: You know, I agree Jegh, like if the police just go back again and just take it, take it again with expression for animation. You know Katie was you know, she wanted to be a good mum again. She wanted to get back into their lives, you know, get out of this thought that she would have done something like that. Maybe they can find the clue that they missed.
Speaker 1: Yes, so instead of them thinking where did Katie end their life, they should now think who could want to make Katie disappear?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's I suppose this episode of the podcast kind of letting everybody know where we're at together.
Speaker 2: People have asked.
Speaker 1: Why we haven't heard you on here so far, and I suppose because we'd like everything I've spoken about. It's what we're sharing together and with Katie's family. I've just been the voice, but it's good for people to hear you and know that this isn't just me.
Speaker 2: And hopefully hopefully.
Speaker 3: We talk a bit too much on the phone. Yeah, I mean, if the police