Speaker 1: I'll get a team. I hope you're bloody terrific. This is the conclusion of my conversation yesterday with Patrick. There was a whole lot of a whole lot of chat about at times not much, I'm going to be honest, but kind of amusing and funny and a little bit informative in places I feel free not to listen. But I enjoyed it. He enjoyed it, and you might too. Here we go, tell me why fitness apps and fitbits might not be the amazing resources that we thought they would be.
Speaker 2: Look, I I do use a tracker, and I like to kind of just casually glance and see what my average heart rate is. I know it always goes up when I talk to you. I've done six three hundred and forty six steps today. My heart rates fifty eight. Is that good at the moment.
Speaker 1: That's very healthy. That's very low. That's fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also it's probably like if and even that's you thinking, conversing, concentrating, Yeah, probably if you were just sitting there really chilled, it might be around fifty. Which is it's not completely absolute, but it's highly indicative that you're very fit.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, which is interesting because I've had to have a break from the gym. But I'm not doing as much cardio. But I do run up and down the stairs constantly. The good thing about being forgetful in the two story house, and you do this as well, I know, is how many times in the morning do you run upstairs? I never walk up my stairs ever, I always always run up the stairs, and I always leave something up the stairs. At least four or five trips a morning. I'm bolting up and down the stairs, so that probably helps.
Speaker 1: Speak. Can I just say read something to you which you'll find funny? Speaking about that which I wrote the other day? Have you ever been worried about something, gotten distracted for a while, and then after the distraction has passed, you're still worried, but you can't remember why. Right, it's gone. It's gone. The worry has gone from your mind, but it's still in your body. This phenomenon is called emotional residue. It happens when the body retains the physiological effects of stress or worry, even though the mind may have moved on or forgotten the specifics of the cause. The body's stress response increased heart rate, blood pressure, stress or mines, et cetera. Lingers because emotional and physiological processes operate on different timelines. The brain might not consciously recall the worry, but the body's reaction will persist, creating a lingering sense of unease.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting. So yeah, so once the you know, it's that what do they call the effect? And it's a chain reaction effect, isn't it? Once in motion, you can't retract it. It's just going to play itself out. That's a really interesting little thought process there. And when I was talking, we were talking earlier about fitbits and calorie counters and all that, and I think they're great because I do like to keep a target every day to see that I've walked a certain amount that I've done as many steps as I have and is my heart rate up or down? And am I stressed? But there is a concern now that people can get somewhat obsessive. So it may even damage people's well being if they're focusing too much and become obsessed on this. Now I've got a true story. I was talking to somebody who had said to me they were trying to get ten thousand steps a day, which is really funny because ten thousand steps was the Japanese Do you know the story about why ten thousands is the is the I do?
Speaker 1: But tell everyone? Yep.
Speaker 2: So the marketing company or the company that came up with the first fitness tracker or basically a stepper, what they did was they were Japanese company. They realized that the Japanese character for ten thousand looks like a person walking, So their marketing department said ten thousand that's how many steps you need to make in a day. So the original pedometer, the step calculator was just that ten thousand was just a marketing ploye. So that's been adopted, you know.
Speaker 1: But do you know, as it turns out, in my opinion, it's not a bad goal. It's not a bad goal.
Speaker 2: Was it about seven kilometers or no? It's a bit less than that, isn't it? Maybe six k It depends.
Speaker 1: A little bit, well, it depends a lot on your stride length. So someone who's super lank in tall like you only kidding, but people's stride length typically walking varies between about sixty and eighty centimeters. So if you sixty and you take ten thousand, that six k's if you're eighty and you take ten thousand steps, it's about eight k's. But the average if you had to go what is it, ballpark, typically it's around seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, So people, there's three types of people who get these fitness trackers. There's the ones that engage with it initially and then lose interest. The ones have a kind of a long stable, long term interaction, which I reckon would be I'm not obsessed by my steps. If I get to the end of the day and it's like, ah, I didn't do as much as yesterday, I'll try better the next day, that's me. But those people who become obsessive. So, as I was saying, a friend of mine had his goal of ten thousand and realized before bed that they still needed under two thousand steps, so they went walking around their house to try to keep the steps up and get to the ten thousand. Now that's obsessive.
Speaker 1: That's that's actually really normal. It's like so many people, Oh yeah, the crab does that. The crab's got to set him out and crabs My training partner everyone, most of you know that he's like that. He will if he looks and his steps a low he'll walk out the front of the house at eleven o'clock at night just to get up to where he wants it to be. That's not rare, that's more common than But you know, you raise a really good point, Patrick, When does the healthy thing become the become the unhealthy thing? Like there's a there's a condition called athletica nevosa. You'll be able to figure out what that means, right, And so that is just when people become absolutely obsessed about exercise, and now they're overtraining, often undersleeping, under recovering, and now they have a new condition, which is emotional and psychological anxiety around how much exercise they're doing or not doing. And if per chance, I'm absolutely sure I had this when I was a kid, because I was completely fucking obsessed. When these people get injured and they actually can't work out, like they've broken an ankle or something, and now they can't run, oh my god, it's literally like withdrawing from Heroin for some of them. Yeah, that's interesting that thing of and even you know, and this is funny coming from the bloke that eats two meals a day and doesn't drink and all of that but sometimes I meet people who have gone from unhealthy and out of shape and they both basically become evangelistic zealots where now you know, every every calorie, every micro nutrient, macro nutrient is tracked within a millimeter of its life. And and yeah, there's there's a line. There's a line where it's good to be disciplined, it's good to be in control, but it's not, you know, obsession and discipline. It's like about one step away from each other.
Speaker 2: I have to have a chuckle to myself because I often hear that about vegans, that the militant vegans, you know, the ones that raided factories and release all the chickens and then the chickens run around everywhere and get run over.
Speaker 1: That's not why did you say that?
Speaker 2: It's true though that happens. It's silly they.
Speaker 1: But also when you release those chickens that have been in a cage their whole life, what the fuck are they going to do?
Speaker 2: Not like they know how to, they don't have eggs, They just wobble around. They don't get a chance to exercise their acrophied muscles.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, that is that is vegans, you know, have a better plan if you can, like have a better plan than that.
Speaker 2: It's not all vegans at least any animals.
Speaker 1: But you're a vegan, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or are you a vegetarian?
Speaker 2: And I'm vegan vegan, I was vegetarian for ten years or pescatarian for ten years.
Speaker 1: And then is that why you're all hasty?
Speaker 2: I'm not. No, it's the light slaring on my camera. It looks weird and a shut up.
Speaker 1: You say it's you say it's that, I say, eat a steak. I mean, really, come on, bro, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I had to laugh. After I'd been vegan for twelve months, I went to my doctor and I thought, I better get my blood's done and just see if I'm getting a balanced diet. And kept saying to me, yeah, you're iron, You're iron, it's the whole. Yeah, you're iron. You can't get iron. And my results came back and the doctor said, look, everything's fantastic stick except your iron, and I thought, oh shit, everyone was right.
Speaker 1: Too much.
Speaker 2: You got double the amount. He said, stop taking your supplements because what it be taking, you're taking too much of it. So I had to have the daily allowance because the normal daily allowance was too much.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you know that there's there's research coming out now exploring the consciousness of plants?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've heard. I've read. There was an amazing book that I read that talked about how trees can communicate to each other when they's say a fire or one in danger. And what's even more mind blowing is they worked out they used a kind of a mitochondrial connection under the ground. I think it's a synerg some sort of I don't know, relationship with fungi as well. But they discovered that a tree that had been felled so completely cut off was being kept alive by the other trees around it a stump.
Speaker 1: And there's also I read this, I don't know the story or report or an article, but about this forest and at one end of the forest, basically up one end, these insects started destroying the foliage on the trees. And these insects was slowly working their way through the forest, and the trees that were in the path had been connect had been I don't know whatever, informed, whatever we want to call it, and so they developed this kind of a chemical defense. And so by the time the destructive insects got about I don't know. Halfway through. A third of the way through, the trees had built this kind of chemical defense mechanism that made the foliage taste shitouse, and they just stopped. And it's like, yeah, there's this there's this neural like structure like which resembles a form of intelligence and communication. And I think, I don't know, I don't know. I don't know that they're sentient in the way that we understand sentience, or conscious in the way that we understand consciousness. But there is absolutely some kind of messaging or communication.
Speaker 2: This book, I was telling you about the hidden life of trees, what they feel, how they communicate, discoveries from a secret world. A guy by the name of Peter Wolhoman I think is the name. But yeah, the Hidden Life of trees. It was really interesting to find so much more.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, you still look pasty, all right?
Speaker 2: No, don't. I just turned, I turned, I turned the blind. Do I still look pasty? Really?
Speaker 1: No? No, you actually look annoyingly healthy. Somebody said to me the other day. Do you and Patrick actually get on well? Or is that just fun? I go, he's one of my best friend, which.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I could fake that. Honestly, Yeah, I fucking yeah. Like some if I don't like someone, I think they must know that I don't like them because I can't fake it. I'm really bad at lying. I tell really bad jokes, but halfway through the joke, I start grinning, so people know there is a joke coming and they yeah.
Speaker 1: So you try to present it as a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, That's exactly how I do my delivery of jokes. So I don't think you know people who I genuinely like. I think that people genuinely know that I like them because I find it hard to fake that. I don't think I could fake liking someone.
Speaker 1: I don't think. So. Hey, this is not surprising to me. But there's been some research on sitting and the dangers or potential fatality of sitting. And I mean, I've been telling people for twenty years where the sit down generation, and it's going to fucking kill us, or at least contribute. Tell us about what they found.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to preface this by saying that the study was forty five thousand people, like, not just one or two people, but forty.
Speaker 1: That's a great participant number.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, and it was published by the British Journal of Sports Medicine, and what they're saying is that thirty to forty minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise daily will counteract the negative effects of prolonged sitting. Because the thing is people can sit up to ten hours a day. You might be sitting at your desk for a normal workday, and then you when you watch television, so you're compounding that by just plunking your you know, your backside on the couch as well. So I guess the key findings were that you know a lot of people in our generation who sit at desks, the you know, the effects are long standing. You know, we know that there are lots you'd know from a physiological perspective the detrimental effects of sitting for prolonged period in terms of your posture, what happens to your body, what happens to your spine because your spine's not stretching. It's really crazy stuff. And to have to do that much work a day, I mean, thirty to forty minutes of moderate vigorous exercise is going to be hard for some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and no, I'm like, fucking get over it. Just do it. I mean, come on, like really, it's you know, but you're right. So you think about when you're sitting like you and me right now, we are in what's called hip flexion. So our hips are bent, which is flex called flexion anatomically, our knees are inflection. And many people, when we're sitting at a desk, our back is hunched. We have what's called a chiphotic posture, that kind of thoracic. I'm looking at me right now and my shoulders are forward, and if I turn sideways like I'm about to, you know, you have that kind of shoulders forward, head forward in an ideal world that we don't live in. But yeah, your shoulders, like the middle of your shoulders want to be back in the midline of your body, and your head doesn't want to be forward. Your head weighs about four kilos nine pounds, and ideally you want your head to be back. But when we as in aligned with your the rest of your body. But virtually everyone at a computer or a desk sits there in this neck flexion so head forward position, and no wonder so many people have got fucked shoulders and necks because the way that we sit predisposes to that kind of injury or that kind of condition. Sorry, But also another really interesting thing, Patrick James, is that these days people think that we we're getting you know, that obese and overweight is going through the roof because we just eat lots more. It ain't true we eat more, but we only eat a little bit more. But what we do do, Comma, your honor comma, is we move a lot less. So you are exactly right now, think about a lot of people. So they lie down for eight hours, they sleep, then they get up and sit at the breakfast table. Then they sit in the car on the way to work or the tram or the train. Then they sit at work all morning. Then they get up to go to lunch and sit to eat lunch, then sit at their desk for all lavo, then sit to go home, then get home and go I'm fuck, They've got to sit down right, and then they sit on the couch or they sit for dinner, and then you know, like the amount of fourteen hundred and forty minutes a day. Like I look at my dad, obviously he's old, but I said this to him. I saw him on the weekend and I said, Dad, you would be lucky to be standing for thirty minutes a day because he spends his day in bed, like all these nights in bed, and then a lot of sitting just because he recently had an operation, so he's been crooked. So it's understandable, I said, but you can't keep doing that because twenty three and a half hours a day where your eighty five year old body is lying or sitting is a recipe for fucking disaster. You don't need to be running marathons or deadlifting one thousand pounds, but we need to get you more active more of the time. So yeah, the extra weight that we're seeing on a lot of people is less about less than we think about the additional calories in and more about the fewer calories out. Energy expenditure is down on a generation or too, go way down.
Speaker 2: And you know, I bought myself just a hybrid stand up desk, which is you just sit this desk on top of your existing desk and it's just a hydraulic desk. It stands up. I think it took me a week, and that's got to be maybe five years. I'm trying to think how long I've had it. It's been a long long now, maybe less than that, maybe three years. But I stand up at my desk all day, every day. I can't imagine sitting down. I've got a footpad that is really handy, and I wear good comfortable shoes. You got to wear comfortable shoes, and it really helps a lot. I find standing up is great. I do use a foot rest when I'm sitting down, so right now as we're talking, I have one of those triangular footrests as well, which helps me sit up a little bit straighter. But definitely I always use the foot rest when I was sitting at my desk, and then when I graduated to having a stand up desk, I love it. I love standing up and being on my feet all day, which sounds weird, but for me it's certainly helped a lot.
Speaker 1: I think I'm with you. I've got a stand up desk as well. I reckon it's worth like, speaking of gadgets, the best gadget that I've bought in terms of gadgets in the last five years is this desk. It's got two motors and its people go, oh, that's a extravagant Not really, it's a cost a grand, which is not cheap, but I know people who spend fucking a grand on nothing, And I use it every single day, and I just push a button and it goes up. It's got it's almost completely silent, obviously, two electric motors, and it's six foot long, and it's two foot white, so one hundred and eighty centimeters by six hundred or by sixty centimeters, and it's just it just makes that transition from sitting working to standing and working really easy. And like, I think that if you're ever going to spoil yourself on a luxury that is actually really fucking good for your neck and back and shoulders and spine. And also think about this, standing even just standing spends somewhere close to twice the energy per unit of time as sitting. So even if you just want to burn more calories do thing other than just not be in a chair, it's good for your health as well. In that way, on top of all the postural stuff that you spoke about, Patrick, I.
Speaker 2: Went for the hydraulic version as well, so you press a button and that it moves up and down, which I don't use at all ever anymore, because after about two weeks I didn't need it to go back down anymore. However, I just did a bit of a search online. You can buy what they call it a sit stand ergonomic desk that sits on top of your existing desk for ninety nine bucks. Yeah, do with search. It's honestly, that's the cheapest best investment ever in ongoing health. I would absolutely totally encourage, if you do anything listening to this show, get a stand up desk. It's great if you're stuck at your desk all day. I think that you'd really find a lot of benefits.
Speaker 1: In the old days, we would have got about five phone books, but there are no phone books anymore.
Speaker 2: Nah. No, I haven't seen a phone book for a long like a Malway directories. I know all people who still buy them because you can still get them, but really I haven't looked at a street directory. Yeah. I've got friends of mine who always carries a street directory in their car the other day or.
Speaker 1: Not the other day, that's a lie. Two months ago, I was taking my dad to a different gym and I wasn't I didn't know exactly so he lives in more Well. We were going into Elgin and I just press a button in my car and I say set navigation for such and such gym, and it goes setting navigation and then it comes up and my dad looks at me like we're in the future and this is just in my shitty little Suzuki, right, It's not like it's not like it's a Rolls Royce or a fucking Maserati. And he's look. I go, yeah, I know, it's freaky, isn't it. It's like you just tell this thing to do this. Imagine back in the seventies when you're fumbling around in front of the HR station wagon, you know, looking for Map seventy nine B, trying to get to a restaurant in Brunswick or something, and you know, you just press a button on your steering wheel and you tell the car to tell you, and then it goes setting navigation and then it literally talks to you until you get there.
Speaker 2: And it also now a lot of like I know, Google does this with Google Maps and Google Android Auto. What they do is they monitor traffic conditions so a crowd source what people are doing. So if you've got ten Android using drivers who get to an intersection and suddenly they're all stacked side by side or behind each other, it will look for an alternate route. One day, I was traveling to Melbourne and there was bump at a bumper traffic. So it told me to get off at the service station, drive around the service station, and then jump back on again and it saved me five minutes. Yeah, I basically piggyback to all that traffic and Google told me to do that.
Speaker 1: I was coming home from my mum and dad and it's just straight down Princess Highway Freeway and you go from literally from kind of Berwick and just stay on the same road for ninety minutes. You don't turn left right, and then Mum and Dad are like, one, k off that. And I was coming home from there and it told me just to turn left here. I'm like what for. It's like some boonstock backwoods fucking road. I'm like, nah, fuck off. And then of course, and then I get up here, there's a crash, and then I'm just sitting in absolute mayhem. It was telling me like it knew, and I ignored it, and I ended up stuck in traffic that I could have avoided. And then I could see in the distance all these smarter than me people just bypassing the Mayhem because the road was like parallel but four hundred meters away, and by the time I went past it, I couldn't get back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of little faith you didn't. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We were talking about gadgets. Can I just I wanted to talk about a gadget I bought this week that my colleague mocked me for right now. It was one of those spins that seems a little excessive for something that's so commonplace. And what it is is one of those USB thumb drives with five hundred of the world's best paintings in high resolution that you plug into the back of your TV and it just cycles through them as a screen saver, so Van Goch and all those sorts of things, and it was really really amazing. I plugged it in yesterday my colleague. I told my colleague about it, and he said, why didn't you just download them from the internet. I said, but that's five hundred high quality, high rest paintings. He says, yeah, the places you can go to download them. I said, but I just had to buy this, and they sent me out to USBs and I can put one in each television. He said, yeah, but you could have done it so much cheaper. It cost me sixty nine bucks. I see a lot. But you know what I did last night, and I've got to say, I know I'm trying to quantify my spending or qualify my spending, justify and justify. My mate came over to watch a movie and instead we sat down in front of the paintings and we just sat there watching the paintings and we talked about them. We tried to guess which painter painted them, and then we discussed the styles of painting. Seriously, it was really fun. We sat there for probably about half an hour, just look at all these paintings going across the screen.
Speaker 1: Patrick, just to heads up in future, before you say things like my mate came over and we sat on the couch looking at paintings on my TV in the pre production meeting that we don't have, you really fucking need to because the little credibility in brand that you had, you just you just fucked it up, all right, So Melissa, if you're listening, edit that out.
Speaker 2: No Ah, I'm all right embarrassed. Why does that embarrass you, grag, I.
Speaker 1: Said, embarrass me. I'm just worried about you and how are you How are you going to get a husband doing that?
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Do you want a husband?
Speaker 2: No? No, No, I'm happy, happy being single.
Speaker 1: Do you want to? For those who are late to the show, of course, Patrick Patrick's gay and I might be. I'm still working through a few things.
Speaker 2: Met further company of men. I went to it.
Speaker 1: Exit, hang on, hang on, hang on, we haven't finished. All of a sudden, you're fucking nervous. Do you want to? Do you want to? Are you worried that one of your four boyfriends is listening now?
Speaker 2: No, I don't have any boyfriends.
Speaker 1: Do you want Do you want a boyfriend? Or are you just happy just hanging out?
Speaker 2: Look if someone came along and they were the prince, charming the night and shining, No, I'm not out looking for it, So that answer to your question. I'm very contented. I've got lots of friends, i have a great lifestyle. I've got a good lot work life balance, and I don't feel the need to out there looking for someone to kind of be a partner. No, that's not on the cards for.
Speaker 1: A forty year old jacked, athletic, super kind, generous, hilarious, beautiful nature. If you're listening to this. Patrick's not interested in you, so fucking right off.
Speaker 2: You've got to keep options open. Come on, Craig in the same boat.
Speaker 1: So if you're that guy I just described, definitely don't email Patrick.
Speaker 2: No. I think that one of the interesting things about coming out of an eleven year relationship this is seven years ago. One of the interesting things is you come out of a relationship thinking, oh, man, I'm going to miss out on so much and I'm going to try to work hard to get into another relationship. But then you get to a point where there's a contented aspect of being alone and being and what I mean by being alone being single? I shouldn't say alone, because I'm never alone. I've got me, I've got my Schnauzer, but I also have so many friends. And don't laugh. Schnauzer is just a dog. You're just putting another meaning on the words now.
Speaker 1: No, but no, you do make a really good point. I'll shut up after this. Is that is it? Being alone doesn't necessarily mean being lonely, right exactly, And being in a crowd doesn't necessarily mean you're not lonely.
Speaker 2: A good one. I've just been reading a book called The Finish Guide to Happiness, and the Finns consistently since the World Index of Happiness has been published. I think they've been the number one happiest nation on Earth consistently for the last sixteen years or something, for as long as the study has been going. And it's interesting that the mindset of the Finish is very different than a lot of people. But what I found really interesting is a lot of Finnish people really thrive on a loan time and going out of the forest, going for a walk by themselves. And I think that once you embrace that, once you start to enjoy your own company and the freedom of your own company, I think that that's where I settled into and that's wherehere I'm at at the moment. I do like my own company, and I kind of feel contented when I can just you know, bum around the house. I do talk to Fritz while I'm walking around, but I kind of enjoy it, you know, putting on I've rediscovered the joy of vinyl. I go up still, I get my go to my Vinyl record collection and I listen to an entire album. Whereas if you've got it on Spotify, you can do stuff. You can walk around and you listen to one song and then you curate your music playlist. But for me to listen to an album from start to finish, yeah great. I love doing that. So now kind of enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Just to supporting your data there. According to the twenty twenty four World Happiness Report, who fucking knew that ssted Inland is the happiest country in the world for the seventh year in a row. This ranking is based on several factors including life satisfaction, social support, freedom, generosity, and the absence of corruption. I'm moving at Finland. Other top ranked countries include Denmark, Iceland, Sweden, Wow, all these Nordic countries, and Israel Wow, which make up not so Nordic the top five. Finland's enduring happiness is often attributed to a focus on simplicity, connection with nature, and a strong sense of community. You should be finished, dude, you would love it there. The finished lifestyle prioritizes balance and contentment to daily habits like outdoor activities and social cohesion. You read that and you go, well, of course, well, of course, but it's just isn't it funny that that's abnormal?
Speaker 2: I like to think that moving to a rural town of a population of three thousand people, we do think and you know, it's funny. It was a really windy, windy, windy, windy night last night and it's recycling today for a rubbish collection, and my friend who I walk with, we probably picked up about three or four rubbish bins and in fact put the litter back into the bins and set them right again because we didn't want litter all around our neighborhood. And we just did that, you know, we walked around and we looked at each other and thought, we'll just clean this up. So we cleaned up at least three spills and a few knocked over bins because you know, it was nice to just have a clean environment and not have crap blowing around everywhere.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that is good, and that is like I wish it was like that everywhere. I think the smaller the town, not always, but I guess the more that you feel connected because there ain't that many of you, you know, whereas you know where I live in Bayside, Melbourne, there's hundreds of thousands of people and everyone's pretty fucking busy.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know any of the people whose bins we picked up and cleaned up after. I mean, I do know a lot of people in town, but in this instance, not one of those bins belong to anybody that I actually knew. And I'm not taking credit. I don't want to pad on the back or anything like that. But we felt compelled to do it because we live in an area where we like to think that we're sharing that with everybody else and if it's nice for us, it's nice for them, and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Hey, I wanted to I've always this is a terrible segue, but it's on your list, and I'm just curious about I'm always I've been interested in the value of warranties. You know, when something comes with a warranty and then you go, oh, it's still in warranty, and then you go in to get your warranty whatever because the thing broke and they're like, oh yeah that well, yeah that's not covered. That's not covered. So, by the way, didn't you read the twenty seven pages of fine print if you read the because you know it's in there. So tell me about Australian consumer law and what it has to say about this.
Speaker 2: Well, pat on the back to the Consumer Watchdog because we actually have some of the strongest consumer laws in the world. And what people may not realize, and quite often when you go and buy say white goods or black goods, they'll try to do an upsell give you an extra year warranty for seventy five bucks. All those extended warranties are worth bugger or because you don't need them. If you buy a fridge and there's an expected life of we'll say eight years of a fridge and in three years time, the warranty has been expired for two years. If your fridge dies and it's not because of an electrical fault as in like there's a power surge, but if it dies just through normal operation, they are the company that manufactured it has to replace it under consumer law. So if it's a defect as a result of the manufacturing process, so there's an expected life of lots of products, and I kind of talk about fridge is the big sale items. But if your fridge dies within two years and it's not because of a power surge, it's just that it was badly built, then under consumer law you can have that replaced, fixed or replaced.
Speaker 1: I wonder what yeah, but I wonder when you actually rock up and tell them that there's a difference between what you just said and that.
Speaker 2: They know it. No, no, no, they know it. They all know it. They absolutely all know it. This is something that's probably a hidden one of those things. We don't talk about it because it only what happens in the family stays in the family. You know, we don't talk about Uncle Charlie. But no, what I'm saying is that a lot of these the laws are very transparent and are known to all these companies that sell us stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I just thought of something. Go on, Sorry, this is I've got a story that's going to fucking blow your jocks off. Yeah, okay, this got just talking about talking about well this is a very fucking vague segue, but you're going to love this story.
Speaker 2: So I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to. I don't want to say who because I don't I haven't been given the Okay, So I'm just going to say someone that I know, Well, she works with a lady. Let's just say they're both nurses, which is true, right, I'm not giving I'm just saying who it is. So that I was talking to my friend the other day, and she was worked that day with a friend of hers who's a nurse. So a friend of hers had just come back from let's just say, an overseas location where she went to get new breasts. Right, So you know how people go overseas to get different kinds of surgery is so this is like firsthand, this is not twenty seventh hand. So this lady went outseas to get breast augmentation in a country where allegedly it's you know, like great work, half the price. Blah blah blah, had a good experience, got the surgery done. What are you looking up, Patrick, I can tell you looking something up.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking up anything. I was just muting my microphone so I didn't make noise whilst you were talking.
Speaker 1: Oh that's all right anyway. So she had the surgery done, was very happy with the job, and on the flight back to Australia, started to experience shortness of breath right and and passed out. Woke up like, regained consciousness, just wasn't in a good way. Got to I think it was Melbourne, and went straight to the hospital. They did all these scans, tests, X rays and when in this country. When they had done the breast augmentation, they took one of her lungs.
Speaker 2: What what like?
Speaker 1: What told you? Told you? I'm trying to get this person. I don't know if I can, but I'm trying to get this person on the show.
Speaker 2: Oh MG.
Speaker 1: Now, now this has just come from someone that I know quite well and trust. So all I can say is that's what I've been told, right, I don't have hard But also somebody else said to me, Oh, yeah, that's a version of that. That's not that's not completely rare. But yeah, this is like, this is somebody that you know that it's reasonably close to home. It's not like just some internet story. So I'm and I said, can can you access that person? I would so love to chat to that person? But could you imagine that? Could you imagine?
Speaker 2: It brings me back to a poem I learnt on a school camp when I was about twelve. Can I tell you the poem?
Speaker 1: Oh God, okay.
Speaker 2: One lung's one met two lungs two down by the shore of the sux Young Sea. Now one lung's one said the two lungs two, one lung you must give to me, so that I could have two lungs too, but two lungs too, said the one lungs one. If I give you one lung, I will only have one lung too. At this one lung one got mad and thrusty sword he drew and ran two lung two through. So now too lung too? Was only one lung too?
Speaker 1: How the fuck do you remember that?
Speaker 2: I know what is wrong with it, what I had for breakfast, But I remember that.
Speaker 1: You're a savant dude. No, that is that is that is just no, you are, but not in a good way. Like that is just shit that nobody needs in their mind. No, now, everyone, I can't verify that story. I'm just telling it. I don't have absolute proof, so don't send me an email. But I'm gonna keep digging and if it is true, and it seems like it might be, then I'm going to work really hard to try and get that particular person on the show. Let's do one more and then I'm going to go and have a coffee, just anything you like.
Speaker 2: Are you inviting me to have a coffee?
Speaker 1: I would love you to come down here.
Speaker 2: We'll meet halfway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just me and your four boyfriends. I won't get in the road at all.
Speaker 2: Oh I okay, can I give a hint, a tip or a trick that people may not know about because I found this little trick a little while ago. If you happen to use a PC so or Windows based computer, this is one of my favorite favorite tips that I tell people, and once they start using it, they can't believe they didn't know that you could do this. In Windows. When you copy something, you do you know, you use the control copy key, right, so controls C to copy and then control V to paste. Do you do that? Yeah, all the time, but he does except if you use the Windows key instead of the control key. So if you go control copy but then Windows paste, what does is it brings up a clipboard.
Speaker 1: On hang on, where the fuck is the Windows button?
Speaker 2: That's the one at the bottom, So you've got control function. And then some keyboards will have a little Windows icon that looks like the Windows logo. Some of them might it might say start or something like that, but it's actually three keys in from the bottom.
Speaker 1: So mine says start. Is that that is it?
Speaker 2: So if you if you use that and you use that to copy, it's a paste control copy and then use the Windows V. It will bring up a clipboard and it will show all the last things that you copied and paste previously.
Speaker 1: So okay, So say I highlight a bunch of text in a word document, I press control CEE that copy is it? And then normally I put it in a new document, go control V and it just planks it there right, which is paste.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you do Windows V and then your computer will prompt you to say do you want to use the clipboard? And you say yes, and then what I'm more, it's more useful when I've got clients that we're helping, say they're registering a domain name, and you've got a form you have to fill out, and it's the person's name, surname, address, location. Rather than going copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, you just go copy copy, copy, copy, copy all the way around, and then you go to the new form and all of those things that you've just copied are all there in front of you by hitting Windows paste or in the case, yeah, it's try it. If you're a Windows user, you will find this really effective. And it's as nerdy as it is, it is so so super super useful.
Speaker 1: I think we might make a little real of you on the internet doing one Young, too Young, one Lung, too lung? Where did you? Where did you get that?
Speaker 2: From school camp? Just a school camp? I went on, I don't know if someone told me at school camp, and.
Speaker 1: You must have invested a fair bit of time memorizing.
Speaker 2: I don't know that. I you know, I don't know. I think it just triggered something. I found it really funny, quirky or something, and it just stuck in my head. I just told you one of the most useful things you'll ever do on a computer, and you went back to my poem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it that useful? Patrick? How do people connect with you? If you're forty good looking you've got abs a sick pack. Not that it's only about the aesthetics. It's mainly that if you're a vegan, help if you're a vegan. If you're a vegan, you're definitely not going to look like that. Oh you're going to be hunched over and gasping for air. But you know, I'm just kidding vegans, of course, Patrick's not like that. Of course I love you, all vegans, carnivores and all of you. How do people find you? Mate?
Speaker 2: If you go to websites noow, dot com dot au. They can kind of just connect with us and have a chat to me about stuff I think we mentioned. Did anybody come back to us in the last episode of come up with the topic they wanted me to talk about.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, but I go in there every day.
Speaker 2: But Tip went on holiday and then everything turned to crap.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much true. True. Tip will be back next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so websites now dot com today, you just jump on there, say gooday, have a look, we'll do the chat. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: One last thing, but only thirty seconds. What's the update on the bloody the dojo under the house?
Speaker 2: Actually we used it for our first filming yesterday, as I told you, the woman with the sticks and stuff. But look, I've decided to put some flooring in. I just had chipboard, and the chipboard got stood over by all the building people, so it got moddy and looked crap. So I've decided to get some nice flooring put in. So I'm very excited. Toilet went in yesterday. Wow, but having Yeah, the finish isn't as good as I was hoping. Not the finishes in Finland, but the other finish when you finish a product. Sorry, I'll just have a segue to earlier chat about it.
Speaker 1: So you won't be happy with your finish, but everyone who is finish is happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can I tell a bad joke?
Speaker 1: Fuck? It couldn't be worse than the last.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's pretty bad. Massage parlor. Four blokes, one's going in, one's leaving, one's already inside, and one's just waiting out the front. What are their nationalities? Ah?
Speaker 1: Well, is this you know where a family? You know where a Christian podcast?
Speaker 2: Aren't you?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 2: You can cut this out. The one going inside is Russian, the one already inside is him Alayan, the one leaving is finish, and the one waiting at the front it's Harps. He's waiting for the light to turn green.
Speaker 1: You're a dickhead, all right, Thank you? See your mate.