Speaker 1: I think it's one of the best iff not deepest aviation job in the world and I'm verady honored that the Quantas bore it has selected me.
Speaker 2: For that role.
Speaker 3: Alan Joyce was once one of Australia's most admired business leaders, but by the time he left Quantas he had become one of the country's most hated men.
Speaker 4: Three point eight million dollars that is the eye watering amount former Quants chief Allan Joyce will receive in his final payout from the airline. The bonus, in the form of surging shares, comes two years after a string of incidents steeped the airline into reputational crisis, leading to his high profile departure.
Speaker 3: His final years at the airline were marked by illegal sackings, cancel flights with held refunds, and a collapse in public trust.
Speaker 4: Quantus has lost its appeal in the High Court over the illegal sacking of about seventeen hundred workers during the pandemic.
Speaker 5: Quantus has been fined two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and convicted for illegally standing down a worker during the pandemic after he raised concerns about the risk of COVID nineteen to staff cleaning aircraft from China and the Arible c is taking legal action against Quantus, claiming the company was selling tickets for flights it had already canceled.
Speaker 3: But in a new memoir, Joyce defends many of his decisions that made him a symbol of corporate arrogance and distrust. I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven am today former Quantus chief executive Alan Joyce and what he believes Australians got wrong about him and whether he accepts responsibility for the damage done on his watch. It's Monday, July twenty seven. Alan, You spent fifteen years running quantustan left to meet extraordinary public backlash that you were largely unable to respond to. So why did you feel the need to write this book and what is it that Australians have most misunderstood.
Speaker 1: About you the book? I wanted to write the book for some time. You know, as you read in the book, it's got full of my entire family history, my entire life about being a gay man and coming out as gay. It talks about all of the early days the Quantas, some of the high tension issues like the QF thirty two, and then it goes into the period, the last couple of years, the of the COVID period and what happened. Then I talked about it from my perspective of what happens. Put the facts down and explain the conditions and the background. People may not agree with me, still, I know that. I know I'm a polarizing figure where it was. Also put my side of that story and explain how we made those decisions from my perspective.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if we go to those last couple of years and we talked about COVID in particular, because from a public perspective, that's where things really sort of went off the rows during COVID, Quantus I legally sect eighteen hundred and twenty grand workers. The High Court ultimately found that Quantus acted unlawfully and the company has since fast one hundred and twenty million dollars in conversation and a ninety million dollar penalty. In the book, you still describe outsourcing those jobs as the rock call why And.
Speaker 1: I do say that, you know, when you look back to the period when the decision was made in twenty twenty, we were starting at potentially the company going back grupt. We had to make a whole series of decisions to make actually up to ten thousand people redundant. I think around the world in aviation, our aviation related jobs, over two million people were made redundant. It was the worst period in our history, and we were fighting for survival. And I had I explained in the book, I had friends like nearly twenty five percent of management went at people I worked with for twenty years that were made redundant.
Speaker 2: I was in tears. They were in tears.
Speaker 1: It was horrendous and we did everything with that intent to save the company. Now I recognize that those eighteen hundred workers that was an illegal action.
Speaker 2: It was found to be against the law.
Speaker 1: But at the time in the book, I explained when we made the call, nobody thought it was going to be illegal. The legal advice we had was that it wasn't going to be It went to the board, it went to me, I went to the entire management team. Everybody thought we needed to do it. It wasn't something that we taught, we would we wanted to do. None of this was I'd say how heartbreaking it was, because just six seven months before that, but this was harding a massive amount of people. It was making record profits, record customer satisfaction, record employee engagement. But when when COVID happened, Enoch does and every airline for six and every airline had to make similar decisions. But nobody said out doing anything illegal. But the court found it that way. And I accept that.
Speaker 3: You believe it was the right call. But you're also right that headquarters nine, how quickly travel would return, it would have not have done it. Doesn't that suggest that it was based on an assumption that turned out to be wrong. So doesn't that mean it was the wrong call?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you know, hindsight's great, Daniel I say in the book, you know, you make decisions in real time and they're evaluated in hindsight, and I think that's the reality of a lot of things we do in life. I'd actually deport yourself in our position in the middle of twenty twenty when we made these calls, and at the time nobody thought that nobody knew there was going to be a vaccine, nobody knew that there was going to be a rapid rebound.
Speaker 2: So you have to make the.
Speaker 1: Decision with those that knowledge at the time that that knowledge at the time was the best decision you could make.
Speaker 2: Hindsight's great.
Speaker 1: If I knew everything that was going to happen later, we wouldn't have made that call. We wouldn't have had to make that ten thousand people rednded, We wouldn't have had to do that restructuring that we had at the time, and we wouldn't have had to made the whole season tough decisions. Unfortunately, we didn't have that foresight. We didn't have that material when we were making the decision. We had to make it with the information we had at the time.
Speaker 3: When the board is closed during the pandemic, quite of sudden, we had billions of dollars of customers money tied up in council flights. You wrote in the book that issuing credits was the only viable path, but quantasion terms said that customers were entitled to refunds, and around eighty percent of customers holding COVID credits were eventually found eligible for refunds. Yes, shouldn't that have been made clear to customers from the very beginning?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got that wrong because we were in I'll explain why we did credits first, and I'll say why we got that one wrong. At the start, we had twenty two million buildings in the system, I think at the time, and when the borders started closing down, most airlines, including ourselves, not all airlines, but most referred to credits as a way of managing it because every single customer and issue could was different. Some customers may have had expired credit cards them, customers may have half an itinery use them. Customers had and their builkings through travel, so we didn't hold the credit card details. A lot of the international bookies were there, so it was extremely complex and the easiest way to do it was to convert the flight credits, which most airlines did now at the start, and we did say we got that wrong and making sure it was clear to customers that they had the choice for refunds, but we also had the call center melting down at the time because of all the disruption because it wasn't a signed for that, and the easiest thing was to ask customers would accept taking it in credit and then using it, and then over time the credits was chunky, and I then apologized for that, but over time we got it better and better and better, and eventually, you know, after one point six billion in credits that were there. By the time I'd left, that had come down to less than six hundred million, So a billion of the credits were used, and none of the quotest credits ever expire, And there's still over three hundred million. If your any if your listeners have a credit, there's still three hundred million of them there on the Quantus balance sheet and they still can use them today, So go back and find it, or go to Quantus and try and find it, because they're still usable.
Speaker 2: So by the end we did the right thing and go right.
Speaker 1: At the start, we didn't and it was messy and I regret that, but it was the nature of the situation we were in.
Speaker 3: Then there's the issue of the ghost flights saga, where Quantas continued to sell tickets on flights that had already decided to counsel and failed to promptly tell close to eight hundred and eighty four thousand passages their flights were off. Quanta says this was a system value and not a deliberate scheme, but the company admitted it benefited from retaining revenue and keeping customism might otherwise have booked with other airlines. Why should a reasonable person not see that it's quite as profiting from conduct in you was misleading.
Speaker 1: Well, because you know, well, it wasn't. It wasn't what we were accused of at the time. And I think subsequently that came out because there wasn't a fear for our service. Because you look at the data and I think got all of those customers and the best of customers either got a flight within an hour or two or the same day that they booped, and the ninety eight percent of the international customers got the same day or another. Airlines and the people in Quantas I believe did absolutely the right thing.
Speaker 2: They were trying to minimize customer disruption. They didn't do it for us to gain at the edge.
Speaker 1: Absolutely fundamentally believe that it wasn't egregious in any way, and they did it to try and help the customer and manage the customer and outcome. Of course the a trible c didn't see it that way. I accept that, but I think that the fact showed that they this was not egregious, This was not f b for no service in pact. All the customers either got a refund or they traveled and they traveled pretty close to the time that they went on. I would say it's actually it's interesting that even today, you know, Katara Airways, for example, is doing the stuff that we were accused of doing back then. And I'm sure the a Triple C looking at that because I think that is that's happening, and I hope their Triple see just as a look at Quantus cases on these things, but looks at a case that occurs on other airlines because of what's happening in the Middle East and with some of the flight's been closed down and started up.
Speaker 2: That's I think it's happening today.
Speaker 3: Still become the elite world of the Quantus chairman's lounge. Is it used to buy political favors. One of the most fascinating things that I guess the listeners would want to know about would be the chairman's lounge, and there's been intense scrutiny over it. Critics say that giving out free memberships creates serious conflicts of interest, potentially allowing the airline to buy political favors and favorable regulatory treatment. In the book, you say that's not the case, that it's just a relationship building tool, but these are relationships with politicians, judges and some of Australia's most powerful people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daniel, But what I would say is that you know a lot of people of hospitality in different ways. We use an airline have the lounge, A lot of airlines have similar lounges. Virgin has one very similar that it allows politicians to use, might think and other customers and the vast majority of people that get access to the Quantas Chairman's Club are corporate accounts there, the PHPs, the banks and the big companies that give quotas a lot of business and it's related to the businesses that they give. And then of course there is the government and it's generally perceived on the government side and this is their call and it's generally perceived as long as they declare these gifts, it's regarded as acceptable.
Speaker 2: And if you've ever looked.
Speaker 1: Through the Register of Gifts, you know Quotas club players there, the Chairman's Club appeers there, but there's lots of other gifts and hospitality from a lot of other industries. In the book, I make the point out, Daniel, you know, if it was that strong of an influence, I think it's there for good commercial reasons, but that strong of an influence. The big things we wanted the government to do, changed the Quanta Sale Act, regular airports. We never got there, and there were big changes that I would have been I would have been unbelievably keen for, and I think it's giving us too much credit.
Speaker 2: That we got the quitar rights changed.
Speaker 1: I think the government made that decision for a whole series of other reasons. We know, you know, there was the issue with the women in Cantar and what happened with them. There was a lot of reasons around that decision. And if I thought it was what we did in my lobbying, I'd be claiming that I'd be saying great, that was my job. My job as CEO is to lobby the government to try and get Quanters's position. But I think it's given us too much credit, and there was a lot of stuff I didn't successfully lobby the government don which I had.
Speaker 3: In twenty eighteen, Quantas was Australia's third most trusted brand, according to Roy Morgan. By the end of twenty twenty two was fortieth. You often point to Quantas's financial survival and profitability as a measure of your success. Wasn't the collae see public trust be treated as an equally important measure of your legacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was terrible.
Speaker 1: As I say Daniel Indboog, you know I was thinking or retarding. In twenty twenty, I steped on the help caut us through the COVID crisis that was occurring.
Speaker 2: In twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Just before COVID, we had the highest customer satisfaction in our history, the high share price in our history, highest employee engagement. We were on the verge of having projects sunrise. I got that through the board for that to happen. We were one of the most trusted brands and COVID here US hit every airline for six including US, and every airline around.
Speaker 2: The world went through a similar hit.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a look in at Air New Zealand, probably one of the most trusted brands in New Zealand. It's now in the doldrums there. British airways up in Europe as COVID caused all of these problems with airlines delivering reliable servers, with airlines having flight credit issues, with airlines having to make a lot of people redundant, and that does hit the brand. But what I've no doubt about is because the quantest's financial success, because it's quant ability now to have teams like Project Sunrise Comic, which is initiative that we did, or quantests that have the biggest fleet order and its history on its way, new aircraft arriving every other month. Because I put in the biggest order of two hundred and ninety nine aircraft ever in Australian history, that brand will improve back to where it was. And I have absolute regret that we took that hit in COVID. I wish I had gotten out before COVID because there would have been all a high and had no COVID hit us for six. But I hit a lot of airlines for six and that was one of my biggest regrets.
Speaker 3: You win the book by describing the journey from the soup kitchens of Dublin to the Quantity boardroom. When you look back, now, what's your biggest regret and what are you most proud of?
Speaker 1: I think I think the biggest regret probably goes back to twenty twenty and not having that foresight to see that maybe COVID could be could come out with it better and we didn't have to make the tough decisions we did back there. But I'm most proud of making sure that Quotus came through COVID. You know, I could be here, I'm apologizing for a lot that went wrong. I could be apologizing here of like forty other airlines, like Virgin Bonds and Wrecks, for them going bankrupt, the Quantas going bankrupt. And it wasn't a certainty at the start of COVID that we were going to come true with but thankfully we did, and thanksfully Quantus is really strong today. I can rebuild its brand because I can rebuild its fleet, I can invest in its future, can invest in projects on rise because we did take the tough decisions during COVID.
Speaker 3: And finally, Allen, You're right that coming out to your father was both the worst and best moment of your life. How did that experience shape your decision to make Corners a prominent voice for marriage equality.
Speaker 2: Well, well, first it was I'd say in the book.
Speaker 1: I came out three times to my family, and I explained in detail to how that occurred.
Speaker 2: I had a neighbor that was kicked out as a teenager.
Speaker 1: I was really worried the same thing could happen to me, and I would have had a very different.
Speaker 2: Life if that had to happened.
Speaker 1: It's one of the reasons why I'm a big sponsor of the Pinnacle Foundation and a patriot of it, because still today young gay kids are kicked down a hot that gives the scholarships to let them have the education I was lucky to have thanks to my accepting pardons. I do think I was a big advocate on a lot of issues. I think it's the role of CEOs to be advocates. Airlines businesses are part of society. Your customers, your employees, and your shareholders want you to speak up on these things. In fact, you're in the Margin Equality campaign. I tell the story how one of our larger shareholders was telling me you're not doing enough and there is While it's the right moral thing to do on some of these cases, it's the right business thing to do because minority groups the LGBTI community are five times more likely to travel with.
Speaker 2: You if they think you represent them.
Speaker 1: You're likely to get more employees from diverse backgrounds if they think you represent them, and so on that basis, I was very proud of the work we did for Indigenous, for gender rights and for LGBT rights. We did a lot in a lot of different areas, and we did it for the right reasons.
Speaker 3: Oh Joyce, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Daniel, appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Also in the news, the Prime ministers at odds with his own party, are we pushed to allow us trying to access the vultary assisted dying by telehealth? Alardy backed the move at last week's Labor conference, but Anthony Albinizi says while he's in favor of voluntary euthanasia, he's concerned that overturning the band could undermine the system. And Queensland Police are investigating after an innocent bystander was accidentally hit by a stray bullet while standing near her front door and cans on Saturday. The fifty year old woman was shot in the leg when officers opened fire on a man allegedly armed with knives. She's now in a stable condition. I'm Daniel James. Thanks for listening to seven AM. We'll be back tomorrow.