Speaker 1: Before we begin, a quick content note. Today's episode includes discussion of mental health and suicide. Listener discretion is advised. I have just had one of those weeks from hell, and it's not that one particular thing has happened. It's just almost a bit like death by a thousand paper cuts. My hubby is away, I got a concern call from the school teacher yesterday about one of my kids who seems very distant and distracted in class. My other daughter is gutted because she didn't make the school play. I've had a week of lots of media engagements, which is a lot of cognitive load, and I have a lot of in a talk when I do a lot of media engagements about confidence, self worth, etc. And then of course when I'm in the city all day, I fall really behind on my other work, and then I feel like I'm letting people down. On top of that, I don't think I've had more than six hours sleep for the last seven to ten nights, so yes, of course, Perry menopause symptoms start to dial up. The night sweats, the poor sleep. I actually felt the other night almost like I was close to a panic attack, and then I had this moment of meals like, nothing is that wrong. You don't have any big trauma or any massive grief right now. You've got four beautiful kids, You've got a husband that loves you. Like, why are you struggling so much? I just thought to myself, adulting is so so hard. And I don't know about you, but this particular stage of life I feel like is almost like being in a vice. This is healthy her with Amelia Phillips Perry menopause. That three to ten year time frame before we reach menopause can be likened to a storm season. You see, just like a storm, there are many hormonal weather patterns that can destabilize us. You know, you can cause these unpredictable shifts and in some cases can cause significant damage like a storm, to our body and also our mind. But it's not just our hormones that are impacting us during this storm season. Midlife like, what an interesting time. It's so full of these other destabilizing challenges, from raising kids, to looking after aging parents, to break ups, breakdowns, grief, trauma, sometimes old trauma bubbling back up, and then finally looking at redefining this next chapter of our life. It's no wonder so many of us find this period one of the toughest ones to endure, So for today's episode, I really wanted to reach out and speak to someone who has navigated their own storm season of me life. They've been through some very tough lows, but also some amazing highs as well, and they've come out the other side ready to share some expertise and some wisdom with the rest of us. To cue the incredible Lisa Curry. Lisa is one of Australia's most accomplished athletes and business woman. She's a three time Olympian, Commonwealth Games gold medalist and best selling author. But interestingly, her greatest lessons, as we're about to find out, haven't come necessarily from the podium. They've come from navigating profound personal loss, public scrutiny, business reinvention, and the very real hormonal and emotional shifts of midlife. Lisa is such a great guide for us through this perimenopause and menopause period as she has fully immersed herself in this world of midlife health. She's founded the really successful health supplement and lifestyle company, Happy Healthy You. She's published a book. By the same time, She's published many books, but this particular book, Happy Healthy You, is all about balancing hormones through perry and menopause. And she has become such a powerful voice for resilience and for mental health advocacy. She understands discipline, she understands reinvention, she understands grief. A woman who has weathered storms, rebuilt and found strength in the process. Lisa, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: So I'm exhausted listening to you. I feel you so much. I mean, you've got four kids. Yeah, you know, you're juggling a lot, and like you said, so many women who are out there feeling exactly the same. And one thing that other people don't see is I don't see those days. And I don't know if you've done this, but I know I have where you just curl up in a ball in the corner of the kitchen and cry. Yeah, and no one sees that. No, you know, And I know I have actually said to people and les you have felt that. You don't understand that because it's such an overwhelming sense of oh my god, you know what is wrong with me? So you can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel, you know, it's a really hard place to be.
Speaker 1: It really really is, and it's actually also paralyzing. So right at a time when actually what you need is momentum and energy and positivity, you're feeling like you're shrinking and becoming paralyzed. And so it almost feels like this downward spiral. And I am not the only one that feels this. I have women reaching out to me all the time, and people look to me and go, oh, yeah, you know, such a high achiever and you've got the four kids and you're doing this and you're doing that. And I'm like, yeah, well you should have seen me yesterday afternoon, like you say, on the fetal position, crying for no particular reason.
Speaker 2: If you saw my Instagram post a couple of days ago, it was just a picture of wonder woman lying on the ground. Yeah, and all it was mood, you know, And that was my day. I just couldn't. People expect you to be up all the time. They expect you to be strong all the time because of their perception of you or what they know of you or see tiny snippets of you. But behind closed doors, no one sees that. And yeah, there are days when you're you completely exhausted and you don't have anything for anyone else, let alone yourself.
Speaker 1: But I'd love to start with your perimenopause and menopause experience. Can you I know you're out the other side now, so congratulations.
Speaker 2: Did you get a medal or no party? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But now that you are out of the other side, can you talk us through your experience? What were the symptoms you experienced. I can imagine being so fit and healthy. Everyone's expectations and maybe even yours, was that, oh yeah, I'm just going to sail through this. Was it like that?
Speaker 2: It was a little bit because I was still training, so I really had a lot of confidence and I had a lot of goal driven activities to do every single day. I was really good with my time management. I was really good with recovery, because you have to be when you're an athlete. And I felt like I did okay for a while until I wasn't. But the first symptom that I had was extreme fatigue, like just enormous amounts of fatigue. But I put it down to all the training that I was doing, because not only did I swim for twenty three years, culminating in three Olympics, the last one as a mum with two little girls at home. But I went into another sport for another twenty years, So I just flogged myself for another twenty years. But it was that passion and that purpose that I had turning up and coaching my group of forty to fifty women that gave me my energy. I really drew a lot of energy from the people that I was around at the time. But there were days when, you know, I was exhausted, and there were days, I know my ex husband would say, my god, you were a cranky, irritable, irrational, moody, sweaty, teary bitch, which I was every fifth day before a period. But I didn't know at the time.
Speaker 1: I just hadn't connected the two idea that.
Speaker 2: I hadn't seen the pattern. I hadn't seen that it was happening every month because I didn't do period trackers or mood trackers or anything like that back in the day. You just you were how you were because no one was talking about it. No one was no And I remember my husband looking at me one day and I thought, oh my god, I can see that he thinks I'm the devil. And I seriously thought that he could see that in me. But I wasn't like that. I was a pretty easy going, gold driven, happy go lucky person.
Speaker 1: Really, did that make you look back at yourself with shame or guilt? Like, were you also surprised where you were like these rage words coming out of my mouth? Or did you also see this is not who I am? I having those moments.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I saw it, and he saw it because that wasn't me. And now I know it was my hormones. And you don't want to blame everything on your hormones. But your body is going through so many different changes in every stage of life. And you know, if I can jump to the end of this conversation, you know what I would say is once you understand that it's a natural transition, that it's biology, it's your body doing what it's supposed to be doing at that time in life. Once you understand that, then you can take a deep breath and go, oh, okay, now I know what my body's doing. But at that time I had no idea, and I went I went to the doctor. I told him all my symptoms, and I guess he thought he was being pretty funny, but he wrote me out a script for a maid and a mass arch.
Speaker 1: So serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they didn't know it. I mean, we didn't even talk about hairy menopause back in those days. I actually remember my mum coming home. She used to work at a doctor surgery, and she'd come home and say, oh, that, you know, work made of mind. She's such a bit, you know, she's this and she's that, and she's oh you know, And I remember thinking, oh, she must be an awful person. But she was probably menopause, all right. And if you can, if you can imagine having six or eight ladies working in the same work area and all going through their symptoms at different times, and not knowing and not understanding and not having empathy for each other, you can imagine the friction that it could cause. But I didn't know what it was, and I didn't have a name for it. The doctor didn't have a name for it.
Speaker 1: So can I just say, like, you're young, we're not talking. You know, I don't have this ancient person sitting here going you're back in my day. We are talking. This is not very long ago.
Speaker 2: This is thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's crazy to think that in our generation and this generation we still have you know, at this stage, I mean I heard the word perimenopause for the first time I think six or seven years ago, and you think of these huge generations of women that have come before us that not only didn't have a name for it, but also it was hushed and it was something not to be spoken about, and you just were it up with it to change. Yeah, you didn't go through menopause thirty years ago. No perimenopause just kick you started. You're talking about the beginning of your perimenopause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So the media lump everything under one name. They call everything menopause, and you have to understand that there's years of transitions. So symptoms start to creep in early and a thirty three year old is not going to accept that they are in perimenopause. They certainly don't want to think about that they're heading towards menopause because they just think, no, I'm only thirty three, there's nothing. You know, you're in the prime of your life. But if you divide life up into three sections, you got zero to thirty, thirty to sixty, sixty to ninety. So sorry, ladies, but between thirty and six we can call that midlife. So what happens in that stage is you know you're going to go through these natural transitions. Some people breeze through it, some people don't. Some people, you know, have a little bit of everything, which was I think where I was. So I didn't. I didn't have severe symptoms, although you could my husband could ex husband could argue that, I guess and I certainly didn't breeze through it. But the biggest change that happened for me is that I met my now business partner. I met him in nineteen ninety six and random meeting with these guys that I was telling them my symptoms. Why do you do that? I didn't even know them when I was telling them my symptoms. Love it, but they knew, they.
Speaker 1: Knew Universe had something in mind to you.
Speaker 2: So they knew Jeff. They said, you need to talk to this guy. And that was back in nineteen ninety six, and he actually diagnosed my daughter Jamie with chemical imbalance when she was fifteen. So fast forward to now. My now business partner's been a hormonal specialist for a long time, but I had no idea. So I met him and once he put a name to it, and back then it was hormonal imbalance. I started to dig deeper into what it was, what caused it, what can help, and he really took me through all a nutritional side of it. And here we are today with a beautiful business that helps millions of ladies.
Speaker 1: Oh and it's so wonderful. And I did your online comprehensive assessment and I could just tell by the questions that were asked, Oh, yeah, these guys know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, and what they're talking about. It's funny now because people saying, oh, we're just starting to talk about it, well, you know, we've been talking about it for about twelve years. And because we've had over a million and a half ladies download the assessment, we have a lot of data. Wow, a million and a half Yeah, lady, that's more than twenty percent of the population who actually are in perimenopause and menopause at the moment. So we know what we're talking about. We absolutely do. And we have a team of practitioners that talk to our ladies every single day. We have one group that's got over two hundred and three thousand women in one group, so we're chatting to them every day, so we know our stuff.
Speaker 1: So if you could go back to yourself, to Lisa thirty twenty years ago in peak perimenopause, knowing what you know now, what are a couple of strategies that you would give her or words of wisdom that you would give her considering what you know now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question because I was probably pretty lucky because because of my sport, I didn't even get a period until I was eighteen, So I was a really late starter. Wow. And I was someone who never really got heavy periods at all, and I was able to maintain a lean body because of my training, So I trained through.
Speaker 1: So you were pulling a lot of the lifestyle leavers that many of us have yet to pull. So I guess that's a good thing. During that period, your body composition was right, because we know that if you are carrying a lot of excess body fat, particularly around the middle, that can you know, be very pro inflammatory, can drive up you know, have estrogen dominance in some people. Okay, so you're pulling those leaders, but you did say that you were getting Yours was probably more around the mood and the rage, and yeah, how learning thinking about what you have learned going back, what would what advice would you give to help smooth out those emotional bumps and the mood for myself. Yeah, for anyone listening who's going, oh, yeah, I'm right in that emotional role.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean there's a very simple answer to that, to take happy hormones. I mean that it changed my life, saved my life, it saved my sanity. And you know, it doesn't work for everybody, but for the majority of people it does. But Jeff's very good at formulating these supplements. So I put my trust in him. Like I've only had probably three coaches in my life, and he became my life coach. Oh, because your coach is there for a reason. And it's like back in the day, if I and I did I want to go to the Olympics. The Olympics are in ten or fifteen years. You don't just go. There's so much planning. You have to surround yourself with the right people. You have to do the right things every single day. You have to action everything to give yourself the opportunity to be able to go. And it's the same with your health as well. I mean, if you surround yourself with the right information, the right people. You make a plan, you have a daily routine, you take action. You can help get yourself to where you want to go. But if you think you can just wing it, or you can, but it might be like a lifetime of neglect, and accumulated neglect can put you in a very bad place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why I like to liken it to a storm season, because I think about a really seasoned sailor who's out on beautiful, calm ocean sailing away and then they get word that there's a storm on the horizon. They're not just going to sit there and do nothing. They're going to prepare themselves. They in a band, down the hatches, do whatever so that when the storm arrives, i e. The storm of perimenopause and midlife, you can, you know, navigate that storm as best you can because you're all prepared for it, and then hopefully when you come out the other side, you're less battered and bruised. That's right, the master stayed up, the cupboard doors haven't open, and everything's billed out. I hear you say that. And even if your preparation is being well informed, a little bit like what you said at the start when you said I didn't link my moods to my cycle, Like, what a game change that would have been.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, totally, and it could have saved my marriage. I think that was I.
Speaker 1: Was literally going to ask you, do you think your breakup with your partner? How much do you think perimenopause played into that?
Speaker 2: Sadly? Probably a lot?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've actually written about that in my memoir and it was probably the hardest chapter I had to write because we're still really good friends and you got kids together. Yeah. Yeah, but at the time, you know, just things start to annoy the crap bound of you. It's like, oh my god, can't you just And it's like, I know, there are days when you just think, I don't even know why I'm married. I don't even know why you exist. I don't know why I exist. I don't even know why all this stuff happens. Why is everything so hard? You know? And that's what perimanton paus and menopause does to your brain cells. It's just everything gets cluttered and confused and all over the shop, to the point where you know, you don't even know if your Arthur or Martha. That sounds like such my thing, my mum would say after but you know, you lose yourself, you lose your confidence, you lose your relationship, you lose your love for the person that you you know that you wanted to be in love with for the rest of your life. And you know it's kind of not fair. But I talk about the journey of a female, honoring the female journey and how extraordinary females are, and when you look at it from that outside perspective, every woman is extraordinary. They really are. Yes, I mean they can make a human being and then they care for that human being, and then four human beings, and then a husband and a job and everything else that they carry, and they leave themselves last. They have this invisible load that's just drowning them every single day, but they're still get up and keep going. And that resilience in every single woman is just incredible. And I want women to know that they are extraordinary. But like in athletics, you have to have recovery. We can't make the Olympic final. If we keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing, you won't make it. You're overwhelmed, overdone, overtired, burnt out. You won't make that Olympic final. So part of our training was always recovery, mornings off, having a day off every now and again. And I know, I know how hard it is. My daughter has three little boys, and I know how exhausted she is. And she said, Mum, just trying to get twenty minutes to myself. You know, just can't do it.
Speaker 1: You are so right. And I feel like in this storm season where we've got these hormonal shifts, but we also have this incredible pressure and the emotional load that we carry as well. And I've heard this saying I feel like I am holding up the sky and that's kind of to my story at the start. That's how I feel a lot of the time, and how women that I speak to peel if I even let go for a second, the sky's going to fall in. You know, everything's going to collapse around me. And it's this pressure that we feel. Was that your experience as well? And I think back to you know, your incredible life where you were in the media, you were kicking all these amazing goals, you're doing, You're going through all of this publicly, you're divorce in the papers, etc. Did you have that same overwhelming feeling of holding up the sky at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liken that too. Juggling balls had so many balls in the air, and you just get really good at juggling ten balls and then someone else throws one in it's eleven, and then twelve, and it's twenty and you drop a ball, and you know, all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden, thing collapses.
Speaker 2: It collapses, and I think at some point you've got to just put them all down, put all the balls down, and just go which ones do I really need to juggle for this day, or for this week or for this month? Are there things that can be left? But you know, I'm the sort of person that loves a clean house. I love my kitchen being tidy before I start cooking. I don't like, you know, clothes piling up and all that sort of thing. So you know, I just sit the babies on the bench and fold the clothes with them more. You know, I just made it work for me, because I think you just have to find ways to make it work, however that might be. And you know, if you've got a husband, you really need to sit down and say, hey, I'm exhausted, and you know what you shouldn't have to ask how they shouldn't have to ask anything. Finally you do.
Speaker 1: I had Shelley Horton on recently talking about her perimenopause experience and she had one of those breakdown moments that she was explaining in the podcast, and her husband's response was so beautiful, and as she was explaining it, I thought a lot of listeners will be thinking, my husband wouldn't react like that in that he came up to her kind of scooped her up and said, you know, this is not you. We need to go together, Let's go to the doctor. This is not the person I married, where so many other husbands would be like, how dare you yell at me? And you know and create that loggerheads. And I just thought to all the partners out there that you know, scratching their heads, going what's going on with my wife? Like, choose compassion, and maybe we need to say to our husbands, listen, I'm in perimenopause, Please choose compassion when I'm like this, because it's not like I'm choosing to be like this.
Speaker 2: You just want to feel safe. You don't want to be judged. You just want to feel safe.
Speaker 1: Because trust me, you're judging yourself partially enough.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, I think it's really important that families have these conversations around the dinner table. And I know my son, he used to look at me and roll his eyes and go, oh, mom, the girls are hormoneal I'm just going to go to my room. So he got it, and he does get it because I've had plenty of conversations with him about hormones and emotions and what happened. So he's really across it. He's such a good human being, it's unbelievable. So he's got very lucky Beyonce. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, so hopefully she'll thank you one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, you've got to have those conversations with your husbands and when they understand then yes, they can scoop you up and make you feel safe.
Speaker 1: Shoes compassion. Well, I want not also chat to you about another element, which is worry and grief, you know, which so many of us experience. And your beautiful daughter, Jamie had her long battle with mental health challenges, eating disorders and very tragically lost her life in twenty twenty, and I'm just so so sorry for you thinking back to those years when she was struggling. How were you able to look after yourself during that worrying time? Sorry, oh, darling, I wish I could get up of the mic to give you a big I'm giving you a hard.
Speaker 2: Studio. Plus my mom pass away four years today, so oh honey, that's all happened.
Speaker 1: What was your mum's name, pap sending that a beautiful message right now of love, Pat.
Speaker 2: I know you're with us, so I think, I guess probably when I was in right in the middle of all my symptoms and working and family. Jamie was about fifteen then. So it was for the next eighteen years that we put up, not put up with the next eighteen years where we had to find the way that we could all keep moving forward as a family, keep turning up for work, keep trying, like trying to stay positive, trying to stay strong for the other kids with all the ups and downs and hospital visits, and you know, there was a lot of screaming and misunderstanding and judgment and you have no idea what I'm going through. And as money we tried, yeah, you know, and the medical system I feel really let us down. As good as they were and as great as they looked after her, they didn't have any answers, and the amount of times that you know, they sent her home, she was really really unwell and we couldn't save her. And so I was going through that and a marriage breakdown and menopause all at once.
Speaker 1: How are you sitting here right now?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I ask myself that, But a less strong person may not be here. You know, my mental strength has been so strong for so many years because of my sport.
Speaker 1: That let's break that down. What does that actually mean? Like if you take yourself back to one of those days where you've just had a horrible you know, hospitals let you down, You feel like you just have nowhere to turn. What made you get up the next day?
Speaker 2: Like? What was?
Speaker 1: What are you saying to yourself in your head that makes you mentally stronger than someone else?
Speaker 2: It's survival, I mean you have to You have children, you have a family, you have a job. It's survival. You have to keep going. You don't have a choice, Well you do have a choice, but you you keep going for the greater good. You know, you have other children, you have responsibilities, and it's just one more day. And I remember a quote, a story that Liesel Jones was talking about, and she was saying it was something like just another day. I need to keep going, just for another day. And you do, because you know every day was trying to say about child. Yeah, try and find ways to keep her going until we couldn't.
Speaker 1: And what was that like when you can't? I mean she was struggling for how many years?
Speaker 2: Eighteen years?
Speaker 1: Eighteen years? You were in this period of intense.
Speaker 2: Never knowing what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then when she did pass in twenty twenty, how have you managed that grief through the last six years.
Speaker 2: Well, it's taken me nearly all this time to actually be able to see the light. Yeah. You know, usually I usually I can talk about it if I want to bring it up, and when I hear someone else talk about it, it's just like a dagger to the heart. No, I'm being honest with you, because you know people, you know I talk about Jamie all the time. I do. And you know, when I'm on my phone and your memory comes up and all the.
Speaker 1: Most photos so beautifully in your memoir, it was I was just in tears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know I have she sent me every photo we had this thing going where she'd send me a photo of a little flower growing out of the concrete, or she'd send me a beautiful door or her breakfast, or herself covered in bruises. I mean, I've got photos on my phone where a couple of times I've looked at them and I'm thinking, hang on a minute, what happened here, because to me, it looks like someone has bashed her. And I'm not quite one hundred percent sure that that didn't happen because of the photos on my phone, because at the time I was like, she.
Speaker 1: Say, I bumped into the wall or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bumped in or I fell over, and you know, sometimes they're protecting somebody, and I knew some of the really dodgy people that were around her. And now when I look at the photos, I think, she you don't get a black eye from.
Speaker 1: From bumping into something like that, not a black ey like them, No.
Speaker 2: I've seen. So there's been times when I'm still trying to understand reconcile yeah, and it's really it's really hard. And then you know, going through menopause at the same time, and then my mom passed away, it was just like, is there anything else? I can have just give it to me just you know, then.
Speaker 1: What lessons are you trying to teach me? Haven't I learned? And lessons I know?
Speaker 2: And so I think, once again, because I'm very strong in the mind because of my swimming, every loss is a lesson of some sort, and how can you apply that to your life? And so that's what I've done. I've really tried hard to work out why I'm feeling the way that I'm feeling, what does it mean, Where's it come from, how can I pass it on to other people in a more positive way, how can I help people get through it? And the amount of people that have contacted me since, you know, they have said to me that every time they hear me speak or see something, it's really helped them get through that next day. And that's nice, but it makes me sad too, you know that they're struggling. They're struggling, and I don't like seeing people struggle. I just, you know, it makes me sad that they feel that way, because when you think about it, we're not here for a very long time on earth, you know, and one hundred years time, we're all gone, including our grandchildren, and no one gives a shit that we're gone. You know, they'll be her cars, will be scrap metal, they'll be living in our houses or knock them down. Who knows what the world's going to be like. And so we're only here for a short time. We've really got to try and think what sort of life do I want to live? And do what you want to do? You know, if you're in a job that you hate, leave it, go and do something else that you really want to do. If you've got people around you who you really don't like, who are toxic, get rid of them. Don't spend time with them. It's not worth it. You know, if you're with a man who's got red flags grown out of his head, like why are you with him?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because life is too short, it's so fragile. And I think you learn all these things after someone you love has passed away and makes you really stop and think, you know, what is this life all about?
Speaker 1: And what sort of a life would Jamie want you to lead? Now? You know, would she want you grieving and you know and holding yourself back, or would she want you spreading the messages that you're spreading and helping so many people? And you know, doting in your other kids and your grandkids.
Speaker 2: She would totally want all of that. In fact, she said to me, Mum, when I get through this, I'm going to write a book so I can help other people. But yet, you know, we were at work for her. We were too We were too late. In fact, I had a friend of mine who is a freelance journalist, and I wanted her to come and sit with Jamie. But I just we left it too late, you know, because we never knew when the last day was going to be. And that's the hardest part. So for people who have family members who may not have long to go, or you just never know. I can't give you the answers. You know, lots of people have asked me, but I don't have the answers. If I did, i'd scream them out loud. But what I can say is just spend simple time with them. Hold their hands, stroke their head, go and have an ice cream in the park, sit under the sun, marvel at the birds and the trees and the ocean, and just do really simple things. You don't have to spend a lot of money. You don't have to spend any money. Just stroke their head and tell them that you love them, that they matter.
Speaker 1: Looking at your life now that you are postmenopause, you've got grandkids. Now, how many grand kids have you got?
Speaker 2: Three little boys, three little busy boys.
Speaker 1: And even though you have had this incredible life of high high as low lows and everything in between, how does life feel for you now? You know, generally? And I guess I'm wanting to offer some hope for you know, the moms that are right in the thick of this busy storm season of life. Yeah, I'm not saying, you know, you're out the other side. The storm never goes. But how is life for you now being in that state of I guess a position of I feel wisdom.
Speaker 2: And it feels good. Does it feels like it's freedom and adventure and the world, Well not today, it's not. The world is waiting for you. You know, go and do amazing things. Who you want to be, do what you want to do, go where you want to go, And that's the freedom that you have. You know. I just took my kids and their husband and fiance and the three little boys on a holiday skiing in Wislow. We went husky dog sledding in the Yukon.
Speaker 1: What a bucket list.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: My husband and I have decided that why wait until we die to pass on what we've got to our kids. Why don't we have memories with them now?
Speaker 1: Isn't it cold skiing spending the kid's inheritance?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: My mother used to say, we're going skiing spending the kids inheritance, but I want to sell. She's like, I selfishly want to do it with you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. And it was such a great holiday and one of the highlights was seeing my seven year old grandson. They said, oh, Flynn, do you want to ride the sleds today? And I said no, no, no, he's too small. He can't. I said it's minus thirty outside, he's going to get cold. And I looked at Morgan, his mum my daughter, and I said I don't think he should do it, and she said, Mom, I think he'll be fine. I went, okay, And you know what, he rocked at that little kid. He got on the sledged. He had four dogs. He put his hand up at one point because the dogs, little slipper fell off, so we had to stop and put the slipper back on. I know, but he stood there. He was waving to me while I was filming him. It was one of the best days of my life. Seven year old out there husky dog sledding four dogs. Mine is thirty. Yeah, how incredible and yet Greennie here is going, Oh, I don't think you should do it? You know, you know, he was great.
Speaker 1: I just love this idea of freedom, adventure and no matter how hard these periods we go through, we can come out the other side of menopause and we can really feel like we've still got a lot of living ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's like I can liken it to Okay, So if you're a teenager, you've got a backpack on and that's you know, your stuff that you need for that period of your life. And then you go into your reproductive areas and you have a different sort of handbag and it's got things in it like tampon's lipstick, condom, whatever, your diary, you know, you charger. Then you get into perimenopause, into your midlife, and your bag starts getting heavier and it's got all the old packets of food in there. It's got the old diaries from last year, and it's got stress and overwhelm and gilt all this, this bag gets heavier and heavier and heavier, until one day you get to postmenopause and your bag's light again.
Speaker 1: Just like, get rid of this piece of shit, start again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've got to look at the different handbags that we carry through our life and how they change in each stage of your life as well.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: So I've got a travel bag now, and you know it's it's got tickets in it to go wherever I want to go.
Speaker 1: So it's your adventure bag.
Speaker 2: It is well.
Speaker 1: Finally, Lisa, for a woman listening who is in the thick of her storm season, struggling to hold up the sky, what would one last passing piece of advice be that you would have for her.
Speaker 2: That everything is going to be okay. To take a breath, that everything will be okay. You will come out bigger, stronger than you ever thought possible. What your body is going through is nature, it is biology. It is what you were built to do, and you are totally extraordinary that every single thing that you do matters.
Speaker 1: Lisa Curry, Thank you so much, Thank you so much.