Speaker 1: Not going to be critical of the Locky Galvin signing because I think it was the right play. I would still be starting read money at night though. The worst thing that happened for Cannonry was the fact that Lockie Gavin was available mid year. If you said to me, why can't Penrith win the comp for mine? It's the form of Dylanna.
Speaker 2: It's the fittest blood just spent in rugby league. It has been for a long time.
Speaker 3: Looks Sharks brosters. I think this will be an aerial assault of the wingers.
Speaker 2: We as might decide this game. I think how often you say that.
Speaker 3: There's coaching tension between Magine Ricky. What's the storyline At the end of the day.
Speaker 4: It's going to be all the fullbacks, I think.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a very special finals edition of The Code NRL Show with Brent Reid, Reedy and Michael Carranas. Let's rip into it, Boys, Boys, Big Story Yesterday broken by Mickey Carrianas. Read Marny acts from the Bulldogs side to face the Melbourne storm down at Amy Park. Read Man Big Story Marney out Toby Sexton in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Caught me by surprise, definitely when you started to filter through around that selection, Like not so much the fact that Red Money's out of the seventeen, right, because for mine, read Money either starts or he doesn't play, So I can understand that. I just think it's a lot of change at the Bulldogs in a short period when you know, at this time of most clubs are looking for for stability, right, So like, I'm not going to be critical of the Lucky Galvin signing because I think it was the right play, right, I would still be starting read Money at nine though, I just think he's defensively a little bit better by Bailey's going to be a really good player, right, But I don't think Bailey's got the legs at the moment to play eighty minutes at the intensity that is required, particularly in a finals game.
Speaker 3: You mentioned too much change. Doesn't it simplify things because they're making less changes because Sexton's really only going to get into the game if there's a half that goes down.
Speaker 4: So Baylee's gonna play any minute hook.
Speaker 3: Or give a breathe.
Speaker 1: That to Haywood, Well that's a change because how much all time has toty sex and playing it at hooker?
Speaker 3: No, not much, But I don't think it's he's going to be playing massive minutes there.
Speaker 4: He might need to. Bailey could get knocked out, you know, right.
Speaker 1: But I think when when we were as well, when you sit down and break the changes, obviously you've got the galbum money, right, huge change, huge change. The minute of the year, you've got the dummy half change, massive change.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Then you've got a subtle change with what Stephen Crichton is doing at fullback where he's attacking as sorry Stephen Crichton, what he's doing when he's attacking. When Canterbury attacking, he goes to fullback, Connor Tracy transitions to right center now right, I one hundred percent agree with that because getting Stephen Cryden with the hands on.
Speaker 4: The ball more.
Speaker 1: But it's another change, right, So I just think they've run out of runway. That's my concern for Canterbury. All the changes I understand, I get, and I'm not really going to argue with, although I will personally start with Reid Marney at nine.
Speaker 4: But I'm just not sure they've got enough time to get it all going.
Speaker 2: I think he had to do something because they're not playing well, haven't played well for a while. Now what intrigues me about Sexton is if things aren't going well in this game, if things aren't going to plan, if things aren't working, will will they think with.
Speaker 3: His halves, Will he take Galvin Willy or.
Speaker 2: Move Galvin the six, move Burton? I don't know. I'm just saying that option is there now, right, So I wonder where I'm sure Cam's saying to Galvan, don't worry you, my half back. Nothing's going to change. But things aren't going well in Melbourne. Given the way they've been playing and the way Lachman struggled himself and I with Mick, I think long term they've made the right move, like Galvin will work out in the long run. He's too good a play not to I just wonder whether now, if things just say that they're losing and I look poor in the first half, does he pull a trigger to try and get them back into the game.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't be the first coach to do it, because guys remember in sixteen when Shane Flanagan took Chad towns and off the field.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: I remember, Yeah, it was a huge call at the time. He took the starting half back off the field. It was, but that was and they ended up winning the game.
Speaker 4: That was one change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this would be one change.
Speaker 4: We've seen a lot of mine is We've seen a lot of change. And then.
Speaker 1: Flin was pretty steadfast and that press confistrate after that, No, Chad still our half back. They got around Chad right, there was a huge in the moment.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 1: Potentially the worst thing that happened for Canarbury was the fact that Lockie Gavin was available mid year. Right in an ideal scenario, in an world, he would have finished the year at the West Tigers and they would have parachuted him at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: I think the point is we're never letting him go. Remember, I don't think they were going to win. I don't think they were going to win the premiership with Sex and the seven. So that they took a throw at the stumps because make better reading, not just in a long degree, it's going to make a small dangerous team in the short term. Now it hasn't worked out that way, right and even before he got there, they were starting to get the wobbles a little bit with Sex. The new pointed out David Sex and stats I think it was in Canberra, so they were getting the wobbles already and this is just sort of it's sort of snowboard snowboard right, nothing's changed. I think we all thought. I thought, you get Calvin in there, you're a better football side, you're more dangerous, you'll pick up some steam again. But they haven't. They're just sort of treading water at the moment.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the focus on the biggest talking points at the Dogs. He's the spine, but boys, I can't get away from the fact the Dogs identified their biggest issue a long time ago when they signed Leo Thompson. They indicated right there and then that they weren't convinced in their pack and I feel as though that is still their achilles heel. You think about there, that Rooster's performance, the Roosters just powered through them. Then last week Kranulla with their when the Shark's bench came on, they just kept on rolling straight through them. Max King has had an incredible season, a career high season, but it's also taken some juice out of him. And then Sam Hughes here's a young prop. Like there's no expectation that Sam Hughes is a dominant front rower in the game. And I just feel as though, as much as the focus is on the halves and to your point that they've lost their way, I think it's pack related.
Speaker 2: Would say, only two weeks ago they went down to Melbourne, very unlucky line, very unlucky. Not so I don't they're not without hope going down to Melbourne.
Speaker 3: I give them a big chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't forgive'm a big chance. I'll give them an outside chance.
Speaker 4: They will be close, Like they're not going to get embarrassed. No, they won't get embarrassed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I remember have got a few hours well obviously paps and drying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like if you said these are all the changes they are going to make at the end of the season, I'll be like sweet.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 1: It's just my concern is that so many so soon with not a lot of lead lay.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Is there a world we live in? And this will sound crazy, but it almost becomes like whatever we do now is a bonus for next year, like where we're just getting runs on the board to get some experience in the finals when we're yeah, we're.
Speaker 4: He guarantee we make it. You're no guarantee to make it next day.
Speaker 1: Really like, I understand what you're saying, Like you're building the foundations the long term, right, and that's the Lockie signing, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But this this could be the last time this group finishes in the top four. I don't think it will be, but this could be the last time, right. So they've gone all into to win it this year. And there's what these changes for that you know they've actual read money because they believe that Baylor will give a better chance to win this weekend. Right, So I get it. It's an all in play. I'm so intrigued to see how it's going to play out because it's it's.
Speaker 4: So uncommon for us to see.
Speaker 1: And that's not to say it's not it's not the right thing, but at the moment, I don't think it's a it's a winning rotation.
Speaker 3: It is the second final of the weekend over in New Zealand. I can't wait to see the atmosphere and the crowd. As far as this warriors the Panthers clash history between the two coaches having worked together Webster and Ivan Cleary. Everyone feels as though this is a Panther's victory. Can the Warriors do something here? Can they win this game?
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I don't think so. I don't, I don't, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I just think you know, I saw him play at Brookie on the weekend and they're just a side that have had too many obstacles to overcome. They've had an outstanding season. You talk about foundation blocks for next year, Well, it's all there for the Warriors, right, It's all set up nicely for him to mount a top four charge next year.
Speaker 4: I just think.
Speaker 1: The Panthers just know how to get it done and they'll probably do enough to win.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting along for them. They can't win the comp. There's no doubt they can't win the camp. But I reckon they got eighty good minutes in them, and I reckon they can at home full house amounts, smart or whatever it's called now. I think they've got eighty minutes in them and they can have one red hot go and maybe maybe produce the stunning upset because it would be and Penrith have been. Look, they've won a lot of games in the back end of the year. Remarkable. What they've done is remarkable to get to where they are from being where they last up to twelve rounds. I won I think ten of their past thirteen games or something, so it's a huge, huge task. But I just think the warror is I just reckon that if they can turn up. I've been twenty minutes only apen twenty get ahead, start, come out, you know, fly out the blocks, put some points on, get the winner in their sales, get that crowd behind them. I'm not willing to say they can't win this game.
Speaker 3: Boys, did this come from Rugby League Fantasy Land? Did you pick up on this tip? There's a little bit of whispers around the game at the point of which when Ivan decided to rest sixteen players. The tip went that the Panthers all sat around and went through all the machinations of what could potentially happen in the finals, and the one game they didn't want to looking want to happen was a trip to New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Remember you're telling me that story is.
Speaker 5: They didn't want to go to New Yeah, this was the This was the tip because of the travel, travel, the impact on your recovery if you win the you know, going over earlier, it's a tough place.
Speaker 3: To play.
Speaker 4: I don't think Pendeth theear anyone that plays back if that was, I don't. I don't know what, honestly, I don't. I don't know that. I don't feel like.
Speaker 3: New mathematiciansagors theory.
Speaker 4: I think parents feel like they could beat anyone anyway.
Speaker 3: Of course they can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for mine, it's a non issue. I think they're gonna win the comp.
Speaker 3: Hurt what.
Speaker 4: The four time premiers, right, and they can win the camp. They were already back track. They will.
Speaker 1: They're the ones I've tip to win the comp. Sorry, Penrith fans, I'll bet camer in the Grand final.
Speaker 3: In saying that, in declaring that massive call that Penrith will become the first team to win the premiership from outside the top four, yes, you also believe Dylan Edwards will find his best form.
Speaker 1: My major concern for Penrith is Dylan Edwards, no doubt. Forget everything else that's gone on with Penrith this year. This is a genuine concern because he looks like he's lacking self confidence.
Speaker 2: He's he looks to me, he's like he's he's the fittest blood just about in rugby league. Right. It has been for a long time.
Speaker 1: He looks it looks like he's losing contest in the air, right, But the concerning thing was he dropped a bomb against the Dragons last week, then he made a play theball era like these are errors that were plagued him when he first started, right, and haven't been a constant this year. And for mine, the only question mark I have on Penrith at the moment to go in and winning the premiership is the form of Ellan Edwards.
Speaker 3: You've got to understand too. I think we have to give them some leeway. They are not robots. These guys have been up for four years, call it five if you want to. And Dylan Edwards has been the constant. Yeah, remarkable and at some point the energy levels despite the fact that of course you're running out onto that field and I'm saying, I'm saying I want to win today. I want to win today. But there has to be a small percentage of juice sapped from everything there.
Speaker 1: But he's the only one at the moment for me that there that looks like that. Yeah, Like I don't see it in Nathan, I don't see it, HISSI I don't say it Lean Mark, I don't see it in any of the other players. So my concern number one concern for me if you said to me, why can't Penrith win the comp For mine, it's the form of Dylan Edwards at the.
Speaker 3: Moment Boys Saturday Night, Shark Park five e eight Sharks fver is is I think this will be an aerial assault of the wingers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, agreed, Well it has to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got Daniel Risk of Daniel two Mark on their wings. If you're not putting the ball up up in the air with Sam Walker's kicking game, you're not doing the right thing, So I mean clearly, and Renaldo Ronaldo is obviously outstanding in the air as well, So you're right, Dave. I'm looking forward to It should be a great game and the wingers. Wingers might decide this game. I think so often you say.
Speaker 3: That I legitimately believe this and I reckon at some point Mark mark these words. On Saturday Night, we're going to be staring at the video screen and we're going to be looking at an escort. We're going to be looking at an escort. Did he move his shoulder.
Speaker 2: On his stags like just ye deliberately taking did.
Speaker 3: His eyes look at the player or the ball? You know how they're doing this stuff now? Seriously, body language experts in the in the bunker, because.
Speaker 2: Those guys are so entertaining, particularly Mark, the guys in the bunker in the air human case. People complain about the game cheap game become a bit predictable just kicking on the QUI chief the line. But then I love seeing those blokes fly through the year.
Speaker 4: Do you guys have it? I've never had an issue tries off kicks.
Speaker 3: I do. I just think it's a cheap way to the try line. I love them, look the athletic geniuses. There is a predictability, a predictability about it. There is predictively you should stop it, but there is nothing well there's sometimes it's just I'm taller than you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nothing predictable about predictable about Mark. No way on the ground everywhere.
Speaker 4: I've never had an issue with tries off kicks.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I think this one will a.
Speaker 2: Vertically challenged man. That's well, you played league, did you?
Speaker 4: You're the shortest person.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: Sammy Walker's kicking game will be almost he actually got cronulla a couple of times, firstly in Gosford earlier this year, then again at Sharpon Park. I think it's absolutely Sammy Walker, it's great to see.
Speaker 4: Let's ask the rule. Firstly, are you glad?
Speaker 1: Where do you think the Roosters should finish up this Yearyo?
Speaker 3: That will clearly the bookmakers agree with me because they are short price favorites, the eighth team short priced favorites against the fifteen.
Speaker 2: So have they had a good year or bad? Your day? Where do you.
Speaker 4: Assess that your your turns come? And be careful?
Speaker 3: I'm I think they've had a decent year. They had to overcome some injuries.
Speaker 2: Average year. What do you think it knocked out Week one of the finals.
Speaker 3: I think that's an underachievement for the Roosters. If you ask the Sydney Roosters where they think they should be running, I don't think eighth is the answer.
Speaker 4: I think they would have taken it at the start of the year.
Speaker 3: Okay it's the start of the year. But the rosters the roster, they've got five origin players, They've got the Dallian player here and James Tedesco. If you dropped Teddy into any of the other top eight teams, you've made the case for Dylan Edwards earlier. Teddy would be enormous for win the camp Cana enormous for Cornella Canela win the.
Speaker 4: Comp if they had James d Escott fullback. Anyway, what do you reckon, Dave?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they absolutely go close, he said, you said they win the game. That's the difference going what you got from.
Speaker 4: Look what you got, Sam Walker.
Speaker 2: I love the kid I spoke in this week is a ripper.
Speaker 3: What's the context of your article coming out with?
Speaker 2: It's inside the brain of a rugby league savant. A genius is what I think about building around because he is a rugby league genius, Sam Walker.
Speaker 4: Was he aware well to come back when you spoke to him?
Speaker 3: Was he aware of the claim that you were making that he was a genius?
Speaker 2: I said, I don't want to go inside.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not that claim that he said he probably shouldn't play again.
Speaker 2: Please breath. And that's the tweets and everything puts on Instagram every week.
Speaker 4: He was aware I took a pH of.
Speaker 3: About you.
Speaker 4: He did. He did a slag Sami, Sam.
Speaker 2: I've spoken several times. He finds the music like you idiot, But I mean that as I said numerous times, that got completely content. I said, if throughout a finals contention, and they were not out of finals contention, and at the time I thought he was coming back in August and you know what, dropping your phone and yeah, there were some people close to him who were of that belief. Yeah, so I just parroted what they were saying.
Speaker 3: So we done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, that worked out well.
Speaker 3: Boys. This has sold out g Io Stadium Sunday afternoon Rugby League. Thanks mister Abdsten. I appreciate that. Broncos Raiders, there's an increasing tension between these two teams.
Speaker 1: What's going on there is you've had the the bus, Yeah, what's to go there?
Speaker 3: There's there's there's coaching tension between Marge and Ricky. But at the same time there's club the club. There's club the club tension. And it all started back in round two with the bus situation of when the Broncos pulled up at the front gates and said, hang on a secon, why aren't we going through the gates and the Raiders said, well, we've changed out.
Speaker 4: The storm the gates.
Speaker 3: Anyway, It's all I found it ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Are they friends?
Speaker 2: No? I don't think they are friends either, Dave, you know better than me, But I don't think they're No, I don't think they're best mates when they speak that often. And you know, Ricky obviously gave Madge a bit of a lifeline when he left the West Tigers, brought it, brought him back into coaching and their Madge obviously took the News at Wales job and left there. So I don't think it. I don't think they particularly left on the friend list of terms. And we know what Ricky is like. He loves a bit definitely respect of respect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a coaching respect there.
Speaker 2: But then it's not by Ricky and Craig who talk all the time. And the MAT's been mates for god knows how long, thirty forty years, right, I mean these blokes they know each other and but I don't think there's any great I wouldn't call it a friendship.
Speaker 3: No, how does this play out this game?
Speaker 4: It's going to be what's the storyline at the end of the day, It's going to be the Fullbacks.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think I think they're both Like Reee Walsh is in Korea, Best Form has found that consistency over the p five or six weeks. He's not playing with any strapping around his knee. He looks free. And Kyle Weeks has been ridiculously good this year, right.
Speaker 3: I bought him as a five eighth.
Speaker 1: For originally our standing job started standing Tommy a bit hard.
Speaker 3: So where would Weeks be playing if he wasn't?
Speaker 4: Mean that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Maybe books he had to go? Did Weeks have to go?
Speaker 4: I reckon, I had to go. I had to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just one of those unfortunate circumstances for him, and Cambus signed a good one there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think the battle are the ones.
Speaker 2: H Oh, that's that's a big part of it, right, I mean, obviously I think Payne Hausen Joey tarp And is huge as well. Two front rollers, probably argued with the two best front rollers in the camp. And Payne's been just laying this platform for the Broncos and their hals for what he's done it all season. And Joey's Joe Joey's become one of the great leaders of rugby league, Like I never saw it in I don't know him that well, but I never thought to him as a great leader. But he's I'm an amazing leader in camera for that footy team, and I reckon that class is going to be immense and it's going to play a big role in the outcome of this game and the fullbacks not it's not this one though, because those two bikes from great form. It's funny, right, A lot of people are talking up Brisbane, but man, Camera have been so good this year, so consistent, a lot of people will write them off before the season again and and they've been unbelievable. A lot of people write.
Speaker 4: Camera boy, you are tip camera from day one.
Speaker 2: I can't sack up to Ricky down its.
Speaker 3: Earlier this year, I sat in this very seat and I declared Joey Tarpani the best front run of the game. And this bloke he.
Speaker 2: Took me to task well, plains the best from me.
Speaker 3: And I think Tarpany has absolutely proven by leading the Raiders to the Minor premier year, threw consistency as well in his performance.
Speaker 2: He's better than.
Speaker 4: YEP three.
Speaker 2: It's close. I'm not saying it's not close. Plains the best.
Speaker 3: Front rolling, good you coming around.
Speaker 2: He's a good player. Do I bag him either? Shit? What do I say you didn't bag him. Oh okay, there he goes Joey, don't listen to him, love buddy.
Speaker 3: Champion Boys. The rumor mill, what's in the mail bag? What are you on? A little bit of something around Tommy Troboyevich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, obviously looks like Tommy's well, Tommy's out of the Ashes tour. It's got a bit of ANEE issue Tommy. But the other intriguing thing with Tommy is there's been rumors circulating actually just come out in England that he's been shopped as Super League teams. Now I don't think it's progressed, but beyond that, but he's definitely a been super League team's been asked their interest levels in top Tommy potentially for the twenty twenty seventh season when he's off contract and obviously merely and negotiating the background with Tommy over an extension. So it's intriguing, intriguing, Mickel, what you got to add to.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, he's intriguing that On multi Lady wanted to play for Australia at the end of the season, but his knee doesn't require surgery, so it's just one of those ones that needs rest and he wants to gear himself up for a big pre season heading too Manly for Manly next year. And as Ready said, there is he definitely instructed his agent to sound out super leg options. So that's what's happened. He's got twelve months left on his Manly deal. Mainly want to keep him, right, So this is not a This is not a question of Manly wanted wanting Tom out of the club. I mainly want to keep him. They want to lock him down long term. They wanted to finish his career there. So whether or not Tom is getting itchy feet, I want to experience something else or the injuries.
Speaker 4: Just want another suitor, No, because he's been pretty open.
Speaker 2: Right, he's mainly making him a good offer. When you're taken on account.
Speaker 3: Sits at around eight hundred. My understanding is, I.
Speaker 2: Mean he's had a lot of money for long time at.
Speaker 1: That footage and he knows that right, Like he said publicly, I'm not going to get anywhere near what I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Now and pay Cup previously. So you know, I don't think it's a money issue with twenty.
Speaker 3: I don't think. I don't think that significant money is in the English super League anymore.
Speaker 2: No, he wouldn't get that.
Speaker 4: In the super you get No, you wouldn't get anywhere either.
Speaker 2: There's you're allowed you're allowed to pay one player, one overseas player outside the salary cap.
Speaker 4: I think George Winn is the highest paid player.
Speaker 1: In two hundred thousand quid or a little bit more, you know. So yeah, that the money is completely different. As ready said, it'd be more of a lifestyle change of because he's not going to play against Manley, right, They've made that clear of the boys.
Speaker 4: So whether or not they both go to Super League together.
Speaker 2: Still, And I mean, look, I think it is the pressure on Tommy as well. I mean you wouldn't have Gibbers like ask ask him every week how are you feeling? Has your body? Which I think has worn him down for a long time now. The pilement is so focused on his fitness and his health and the shape of his body. And look he go over there and plans super League. Man Tommy could plan second Gear and he'd be the best player in Super League. So but I think ultimately he'll end up staying to Manley. But obviously there's there's something doing.
Speaker 3: Boy's a code NRL trivia competition starts tomorrow. So I thought we'd just throw a little couple of questions, just a couple of show the readers and listeners out there, what could be in stores the Queens. It goes live on Friday, Fellows, it goes live, So here we go, right, I'll throw a lot. I'm going to throw a lollipop up for you. Early Notahan Cleary, his brother Jet plays for which team? Hands on your buzzes?
Speaker 2: You can't just didn't say his name or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, legendary forward Glenn Lazarus had what nickname? He got? Your mick to nil? Uh? Conceding more than how many points in a game supposedly means you can't win the premiership fifty you're getting smashed, red Man. That's three nil, which top four side did not end around this season at the top of the ladder.
Speaker 4: Brisbane is wrong.
Speaker 3: That's four nils. Anyway, that's a taste of it on Trivia Code NRL Trivia. It goes live on Friday, And just like that, you can be as good as Michael. Carry on us