Speaker 1: This is Small Surgery tonight's guest. His brand new album is called side Quest. He is a band member number four of five Seconds of Summer to Go Solo. I snuck in a cheeky trip to La to go hang out with Mikey at his house to chat about his brand new album. Let's roll the interview.
Speaker 2: You're listening a small heath on Noah.
Speaker 1: Well, look who you catch up with when you're hanging out in La in person? In person? How are you?
Speaker 2: Dude, it's been three years.
Speaker 1: It's been three I had to correct him, three years. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I was just saying I'm tired. Your baby woke me up early today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so baby, now.
Speaker 2: She is almost took on the like about half of a year.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like I don't have kids, but I I have a niece and a nephew. The two year old. It's almost grown out of the puppy stage, if you could relate to it. It's almost at that stage. Yeah, You're like, you're like almost, it's like, okay, they're not chewing on things, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's more like physical, like the chase is on. You know, you close your eyes and she's running full speed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ye well dad, life looks good on you. You don't look like you've aged at all. By the way you look. You're still useful.
Speaker 2: Thanks luck. I need that today. I'm not feeling that.
Speaker 1: How is everything is good with you? By the way, I've got to point out the nail art. This is great. Your nail art is fantastic. How long do you spend in in make hair and makeup for the nails?
Speaker 2: For the nails? The nails do take them minute, But I'm like, I'm super antsy. I'm like, I because you've got to put them in this in this little thing to like seal them obviously every time.
Speaker 1: I sorry, I sure, like I know, yeah, you're like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I know. Yeah. But the more intricate it is, obviously, the longer it takes.
Speaker 1: But didn't you have something hanging off them the other I saw a photo with you. You had like like like a like a.
Speaker 2: Ornament, Yeah, hanging off one of the other I've had some pretty significant ornaments. I've got some. I've got some little ones this time. Nothing too crazy. Oh yeah, Jim, Yeah, I got my little gems on it. But it's been a fun thing. That I've been doing on this this that I've like, I've never been into nail art or anything like that. And then just on this, on this album, I've just been like, you know, easter egging through nails, like I don't know, just having fun.
Speaker 1: Did the fans pick up on it?
Speaker 2: They did? Yeah, they've they guessed all the songs Okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Does that make you think to yourself like I.
Speaker 2: Thought it was gonna be harder? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, like it's like when you're gonna if you're gonna commit to the Easter Egg totally, You've either got to go really well, but correct me if I'm wrong. You're gonna commit to the Easter Egg. You've got one or two options. You either make it so easy because you want people to see that there's Easter eggs, or like super super hard. But then you go, oh my god, what if no one cares about Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you just feel like because you're like, nobody found the thing that crazy. This one, the one that just happened to me, was like a pre save link where you like, right in, you know, the link is cold, you know whatever, and then usually the end of the song, yeah, the other the next song I had coming out with Porter. They just changed the name at the end of the other presave link to kill me for always the song, and they like it got a ton of pre saves because people just figured it out. I was like, that was pretty.
Speaker 1: That was good. And there wasn't there something on your website that I saw? I swear I saw this on Twitter that some page got put up, but I don't know if that was an Easter egg which one. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. I only saw a briefly. I don't know this, and I wasn't sure that was a.
Speaker 2: Proably some Mester eggs on there. There was like I was, I was like slowly erasing the word tour on my website as it was like as I was coming to like play shows and stuff. That was it. Yeah, yeah, that was that was fun. And it says tour because I was meant to do a tour, but now I'm just doing a show. You are now it says. But I was thinking about, like, it looks really bad if I change it. Like at the very end, I'm like, okay, now it says show or live or something. So I was like, I just want to leave it tour because you.
Speaker 1: Know, maybe one day the album is out.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's out.
Speaker 1: How as I said, I think I said to cow when his album came out the other week.
Speaker 2: I was listened to that interview.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've collected all the boys have now collected their Infinity Stone.
Speaker 2: And I'm not offended that we're not playing the Like, what's the game is? Yes, no game? Yeah, I'm not offended that we're not playing it, but like I feel a little bit like.
Speaker 1: You did let down.
Speaker 2: You didn't think of me. Yeah, you know, you know what you know, you know I'm a yes, no game kind.
Speaker 1: Of You are given some of the best answers. Thanks, some of the best memes. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I really really tried to really give that a good flick.
Speaker 1: Tell me, tell me about the tell me the record is out. How does it feel that the world is got has has got it?
Speaker 2: It feels really good. I'm happy to have it out and off my chest and now it's not mine anymore, it's somebody else's.
Speaker 1: And how long was it were you working on it up until the very end or was it like locked and loaded for ages and you just were like, let's just pick a date.
Speaker 2: And I was like like we were already like announcing as I was still like delivering okay songs. So yeah, it was I'm you know, like, uh, I'm looking for the right word. And it's not like I was gonna say. It's not that I was gonna say, but I didn't want to sound like a crackhead. Yeah you know, do you know what I mean? Yeah, So I was like I was constantly changing things towards the very end, so it was tough to get it delivered by the way. I just really I just realized how casually I dropped the word crackhead in the middle of that, and yeh, can we a.
Speaker 1: Cracking I can say, is this rating radio? You're good Australian radio. It's fine to say.
Speaker 2: That's like five times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I knew exactly what you were thinking, because you I was thinking tweaking too. Yeah. I was like, but also, but we don't say tweaking is not part of like the verbiage in Australia. It's yeah, that's more American thing, like I think that's more like like lots of tweakers.
Speaker 2: On the street. Totally, yeah, totally, totally.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't say that in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'd say another word that's probably really offensive.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, album, album's going great. Yeah, I'm happy everyone can hear it. And you know, I'm playing a show in LA next week, which will be really fun.
Speaker 1: How is that going to go for you?
Speaker 2: Terribly?
Speaker 1: No? No, best of luck if you have tickets. No, Like, are you nervous? Are you anxious? Is this the first time you've been on stage on your own?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, there's there's a like a small intimate sort of acoustic gig, but that doesn't really count.
Speaker 1: Whereas this colt through his he did a red room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I watched it and I was coming out in between songs because like, and I don't mean this, I don't know this to be true, but I feel it. It's like when you're in a group and you're on stage, like each of you had like one moment maybe between a song.
Speaker 2: Just say hold on, we write down exactly who talks.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but when you're on your own, it's you. Every time, you know, you'll yap in every song. So I came and yap with him in between it.
Speaker 2: That's helpful. It's so helpful to have someone to yap with you, I'm pretty horrified about yeah, yap and solo. Yeah, but I mean hopefully it's fine. I just I think it's It's interesting how when you when you create music, you know, you instantly think of it live and you think about what you know that feeling is going to be like in the room and how everyone's going to react to it and sing the words and stuff. So yeah, I'm hoping that everyone loves it and that everyone sings along and yeah, but it's still equally as terrifying as Yeah, that's what I thought it was.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get home to Australia. We would love to have.
Speaker 2: You, I hope. So I've been trying going to.
Speaker 1: Do a long haul flight. Could you fly? Sorry to interrupt you. Would you come to Australia without child?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or would you?
Speaker 2: Guy?
Speaker 1: Like, if I'm going to go home, I have to bring the child home and two is still too young that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if I if I go to Australia, I really am dying for her to come with me and like, you know, just go to where she's from and see her grandparents in Australia. I mean they've come over here and seen her, but like I don't know, it's different, you know, bringing a bringing bringing my baby back where she's from is something that I'm I'm really looking forward to, but I don't know if I'm ready for that flight. It's a big commitment, and the flight to la is shit, it is. It's a it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think, and I speak on behalf of the people who would be sharing the cabin on the plane with you. I appreciate that you haven't done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there will be a point where she can watch, you know, twelve hours of TV straight, but out at that point.
Speaker 1: What is she watching?
Speaker 2: Is she we try not to do TV, which is like, it's a it's a really tough decision that we've made.
Speaker 1: Have you Are you one of these iPad parents?
Speaker 2: No, that's the issue. I wish we were. I just want to throw an iPad in front of her and just watch something. Let me do that, But I don't know. We're trying to be good to her brain.
Speaker 1: Oh good on you, so don't do it, just just give her the iPad. But anyway, Hey, I congratulations on that, because you know, stronger people have failed in that quest to keep their kid off so hard yeah, yeah, oh you did give her a la boo boo the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well she didn't. Is that here?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Where is that laboo boo?
Speaker 2: The laos aren't here right now?
Speaker 1: Sorry for people who don't know, the laboo boo craze is taken off. It's unlike you to not jump onto a craze and I appreciate it to you, and I have a very similar with that. You got your daughter a la booo thinking she'd be excited and she could over ship.
Speaker 2: Oh done. She was like, you know, why would I want this? And now she looks at them and she's like kind of scared at them. Now she got no little boo boo, no lat.
Speaker 1: Boo boo, like but yeah, you gave it to the dog in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. They kind of cheered it a little bit, and even they weren't into it.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're close. I feel like every time a new train starts, the window between everyone wants it to it's now.
Speaker 2: Land getting smaller as well. Every time.
Speaker 1: Every time, it's like we're I think we're only a couple of days away from like la boo boos being out totally done.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, Crystal got me those from the local mall and I didn't even know about it and then I looked it up and.
Speaker 1: They're available here in the local mall. Do you know people line up in Australia like thirty forty fifty people deep for the drops? Yeah, you know, like I don't even know what was the last thing that used to have a drop? You know, clothes have come out with drops La Boogoo drops in Australia, like.
Speaker 2: What I'd line up for, like the tend to switch, Yeah, kind of like that like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you remember who used to line up for the new iPhone back in the day at midnight for the midnight.
Speaker 2: Now everyone's like dratting the new update because they know their phone's gonna like slow down.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, what else I have to talk to you about? What else do I need to know? Okay, the album is out. You're la Boo boo Cris.
Speaker 2: If it's cool, I would like to talk about Callum for a minute, Okay. I just I've been I've been loving Callum okay and his music. Yeah, I just and I saw, you know, he's been crushing it in Australia.
Speaker 1: He's been working very hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm just I'm proud of you got the number one record. I know, I'm just I'm so proud of him, and I love all the music that he released, and you know, especially like us as a band, I'm proud of all of us being able to kind of like I feel like there's like a stigma around the world like solo projects or like doing doing stuff on our own, which is like I guess, I guess understandable. You know, like the history behind bands and solo projects and stuff is not you know, the track record's not great, But I do like to think that a band like us is sort of like, you know, we're showing people that you can do both. You know, there's no like for us, There's there's no reason that we can't like, you know, respect the band's history and the band's longevity and also like you know, just like fuck around and make some some stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you have to do you when you on the on the solo thing, did each of you have a discussion, because obviously you will would have talked about we're gonna each of you want to do you a solo thing? Was there did you make an agreement that we would stay out of the five Sauce lane, or did is the five Sauce Lane the five Sauce lane, because each four of you as individuals bring a different type of taste music.
Speaker 2: To I don't know if I mean for me personally. When I listen to all of our music individually, I hear the band. I hear like all four of these different influences and how we all, you know, come together to create the thing that like song by song, it differs in the in the band's discography, you know where I'm like, I can hear that, and you know, now going into working, you know, we've been working making some new music. Like it's so easy for us to like maybe easy is the wrong word, but like we're we're able to sort of like identify the influence of each member and each creative and being like, Okay, I I you know, hear that you're pushing this idea and I know from the music that you've made that you know how to do that thing or whatever. You know, so let's bring a bit of that into this. So it's so yeah, that's that's how I feel. Is like it's kind of like bringing it's like bringing all the stuff together to to create it, because you know, there's also like this respect for the band that we all have where like this, you know, when we're making decisions for the band and we're and we're pushing you know, ideas and releasing music for the band, it really needs to be like cared for, like super heavily. Where Like, you know, it's got such a history and like a deep meaning for a lot of people, you know, like including including us obviously, so like we always want to do it respect. Whereas when it comes to the solo projects, like we can just we can just do stuff for fun. You know, I name this shit siequesst like, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm just out here having fun.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and absolutely on that. Now that each of you have done the solo thing, I think the internet is stirring with rumors. Is with his five sauce with a five sauce comeback.
Speaker 2: I know Callum was sus about this answer too. Yeah could happen, Okay, I could happen. Okay, maybe sooner than you think.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh that's exciting, that's a bit of that's a bit of juice. I love that old squeeze hard in the private time when it's off the air. Thank you. For having me over. Congratulations on the record.
Speaker 2: Thank you man.
Speaker 1: You don't look tie it even though that's good. That's great, so you know, keep it up asking doing something. Absolutely. Congratulations on the record and we'll see you soon in Australia. All right, you're listening to the Smallsy Surgery podcast.
Speaker 2: Here more from Smallsy Live Weeknights from Me to Only Ava