Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to Off the Record, the sports podcast of breaking news, heart, opinion and a little bit of gibber. I'm Andrew Webster from The Australian and I'm joined by my partner in journalistic crime, Phil Rosfield from The Daily and Sunday Telegraphs and Code Sport.
Speaker 2: Okay, buzz, Hello Wabby. I'm not in a terrific mood. Why not because you know why which the listeners. We're in a little cafe next door twenty minutes ago Latterrea.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite little haunt.
Speaker 2: And I was mistaken as your father. This lovely lady said, oh, Andrew, you've got dad here today. Not happy. I do not look anything like you or old enough to be your father.
Speaker 1: Now, the thing is, it's not the first time this has happened, because yourself and I am Todd Greenberg, were at the theater in London, as you do.
Speaker 2: We were watching simply the Best.
Speaker 1: So that Tina that Tina the West End, Western East, Wrong Side of the Tracks, and we after, we after after the show, which was fantastic, by the way, we were at the front and we wanted a photo and Todd handed his phone to to one of a woman. She was a delightful lady, and she took the phone. She said, it's so lovely to see two sons taking their father to the theater. And Buzz was mortified. Good star, Yes you do. Coming up on the show today, we've got some breaking news on the Bunker. We're going to rip into the Western Bears and their decision to target Brad Arthur's coach, and Buzz is going to lift the lid on the day Greg Gliss's wife flipped him the bird very exactly exactly right. Let's get into it. Champs and chumps. Buzz, who's your champ of the week.
Speaker 2: My champion is Andrew Joey John's eighth for Mortal. I thought his takedown of the NRL over this outrageous high tackle crackdown was absolutely outstanding television. And I don't normally give Channel nine a rap, but his appearance on the Sunday forty Show was just magnificent. He spoke for the people, He spoke for just about everyone across the game that enough is enough. It was embarrassing. It was a face all those words. I didn't know Joey could could get those work. It was brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's from the heart.
Speaker 2: Oh isn't an incredible minutes from the heart. It was how well he delivered.
Speaker 1: And look, you know I was. I broke the story later that day on the Australian website about him putting the microphone down the last twenty six minutes of twenty three minutes of the the Tigers Cronella game because he's just disgusted with that that lad Sindbin And look, people, Joey's got his critics. I know, people sort of are critical of him because he wears his heart on his sleeve during Origin weeks ago here and well you do lock to bag people. I'm kidding both. But the thing that I love about it is, and I've known Joey since the nineties and he's just so authentic and everything he does, and he is a genuine lover of the game. He's a genuine lover of the Knights, New South Wales origin and Australia and international football. And I think people misread him sometimes. He just he's unfiltered and he is who he is. He's a tremendous guy, Joey, and he loves the game. He genuinely loves the game. And what you saw there on the Sunday Footy Show. What he saw at that game between Cronulla and the Tigers is Andrew John's and his love of the game.
Speaker 2: Sure, I thought it was particularly brave as well, because I can say there are nervous television executives chat on Dunlan and Design or Foxtel or whatever we're supposed to call it these days, who were about to go into crucial negotiations with the NRL for the next television deal, and there's a feeling that we should hashtag NRL talk the game up to favor their chances where we of retaining the rights. I don't know if there's been instructions these camps to, you know, to turn it down and speak the game up. But Joey certainly didn't get the email.
Speaker 1: No, that's right, and he just calls it as it is. So calls it as he is as well. Okay, my champ, thanks for asking. The North Sydney Bears are out of hibernation. So I've been critical of a Western Australia franchise. And then I had a long chat a few days ago Buzzed and my great mate James Bracy again, no, no, no, no, no, you have no, I haven't let me finish. Let me finish. I'm not still not being on a Perth team, but I am very very happy that the Bears are back. The other person I've been thinking about this week is the late great Mike Gibson. It was a massive North Sydney fan and was very much you know, it's an extension of his personality. They were shafted out of the big league. I do have a actually this morning I saw a guy running around in a Bears jumper shaft. They were broke, yeah, but they got shafted in the Northern Eagles partnership.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did. They broke they had when they went to the table to negotiate a merger. They had no chips.
Speaker 1: They you know, Oh no, but that's how they fell apart, that's how they.
Speaker 2: I feel good that you got my coaching two weeks ago. I was come to fruition. While you're on.
Speaker 1: Board, narcissist, it's not always about you say. I always had a soft spot for the Bears as a as a young fan, my favorite player was Greg Florimo. He never ever ever played a bad game.
Speaker 2: Float I saw him last night in the green room and he still looks fit enough to play center three quarter.
Speaker 1: What about Billy Moore?
Speaker 2: Billy Moore looks terrific as well. I'd tell you him my fate. One of my favorite players was and he was so ahead of his time because it was an athlete thirty years ago like today's Mark Graham.
Speaker 1: That's right, player, wasn't goodness?
Speaker 2: He was a good player.
Speaker 1: He's a monster too, wasn't he mad?
Speaker 2: He was like Sonny Bill Williams back then? That fit you know that pH Zeke.
Speaker 1: But like you and I chump of the week, who you got?
Speaker 2: I'm going off the footpath here with the EPL English Premier League bag. Yes, well there's a month to go in the season and there was absolutely no interest. Liverpool have been crowned the champions. The bottom three clubs, which Town, Leicester City and South hamps Hampton are relegated. There that far below the next West Ham. It's all over.
Speaker 1: So what do you what are you saying? What are you suggesting?
Speaker 2: Well, the NFL have finals and Super Bowl, the n b A, the n r L. Do you know the Olympics have sent me some finals And I know it's tradition, and I know I've offended rugby people, and I'm now going to offend the soccer type.
Speaker 1: Are We're just going to just ostracize every single sport outside of rugby league. Now I get dragged into it by association all.
Speaker 2: The league about the head high tackle.
Speaker 1: Wherebe people have.
Speaker 2: To change with the it's like origin rules that were made in nine and eighty.
Speaker 1: Because the EPL often goes down to the last weekend, doesn't a lot of times it's a race to the finish. What you that's that's we need the McIntire system applied to the epring having an opinion heavy but anyway, I just kept making it very clear that's Buzzer's opinion. I'm just only just getting back onside with the rugby union fans. I don't want to piss off the soccer fans, although I probably will. You know who my chump is? Who me? Why I'm giving myself an uppercut?
Speaker 2: So I should have done that with your son.
Speaker 1: Last week, while I was wrapping Ostra Piastre, I said that Jack Braban, Alan Jones and Mark Webber Australians who had previously won Formula one world titles. Mark Webber did not so Jack Brabon won a three times fifty nine, sixty and sixty six. Alan Jones, the race car driver, not the controversial broadcaster he won in nineteen eighty Webster you hack, you dog, You are my chump of the week.
Speaker 2: Early as bad as calling West End.
Speaker 1: Going to the theater on the East End London's yes you you.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Gibra. Okay, it's not very famous to the West End.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, not at all. Have you ever been to the Are you a theater guy? No, neither of I never. Right, Well, Buzz, you've got a really big breaking story in terms of the bunker. It's been the major issue in the game, not just last weekend, but over the last month has just been looney tunes in rugby league land in terms of the adjudicating, particularly the video ref what he got for me?
Speaker 2: Buzz yeah, wybe, I think it's the story or rugby league fans will be happy with. The NRL are going to take steps at the end of the season. Well, they're not going to put a bomb under the bunker. But what they are going to do, who is hire three or four full time specialists. They won't be current referees, they'll be bunker specialists to do nothing but adjudicate on games from heavily the studios, their high definition screens, slow mate the lot to try and improve what we've seen this year. Who will what sort of person will be in there. They'll be ex referees, people like Matt check and Ben Cummins were great referees. When they retired, they lost to the game. What will happen now is they'll encourage people like those who I just mentioned at the back end of their careers to take these jobs on. They'll get more training, they'll be bought up to speed with you know, how the technology works and all those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: More consistency, Yeah.
Speaker 2: There will be more consistency will be which is really really important and brings down the number of people operate. One of the problems I've had with the bunker and current referee's do it. You're going to have a guy who has a game on a Saturday, he has a shocker, he's confidence shattered, he doesn't sleep at night, and he's got to get into everly studios the next day and adjudicated on a game.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: For a professional code like the NRL, which is constantly telling us how much money they've got, Like it just seems it seems very amateurish and buzz didn't they say the start of the year there was going to be a group of dedicated bunker officials to bring consistency the game. And whether it's happened or not, it's the outcome hasn't been there, has it? Because it's been hasn't been as messy as it has been in the last month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And from what I'm told where he's referees don't particularly like working in the bunker. They do want to be out in the field, but at the back end of their careers when they are looking, you know, they've got to take on some sort of job. And there are a couple they are getting towards the back end who will be approached as part of this operation to take on the role on thing the NRL doing that. They've got to be proactive. They've got a major major, you know, loss of confidence and fans or stakeholders. And yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Works four day weeks, that's sort.
Speaker 2: Of it sounds like one of yours. Dare you it does.
Speaker 1: I do four days in one?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: But you know, you know, you know what but this is that you make a really good point, Buzz like blokes like Checking and and Cummings like that's knowledge and experience that you know that that's very hard to find in in officiating. Those guys have been involved in some of the biggest games, and everyone talking about Cummings and the six to go like that's that was. Referees make mistakes. But to have that sort that level of experience in the bunker and that consistency from week to week, that is exactly what the game is crying out for. But you cannot have the situation like we had at the weekend of where some players are staying on the field for knee other players in the head and not you know how bad that is terrible. Whereas yeah, and then Polo in the in the Tigers game was terrible.
Speaker 2: I said on radio, wouldn't it not me out poo?
Speaker 1: He wouldn't have I'd pay him to do it. Yeah would But you're right though, But that was that was a shocker, wasn't it made?
Speaker 2: It was a terrible incident that he'd not only need him with his right now you come back with you so left he stayed on the football field, not even Sinbin. I would have send him off. I guarantee you he'd gone before Jim Coleman's in the wild old days. He would have got six weeks. We got two.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you think of the way Abdo gone on the front foot and did the PR circuit on Monday?
Speaker 2: Oh I thought he did. Okay, you know, I won't wear the fact that he's saying it's not a crackdown, it's.
Speaker 1: A policy change. Well, something's changed.
Speaker 2: Well, there are one hundred and forty percent Simbins people on Reporter up seventy five percent. Of course it's a crackdown. They've over corrected themselves from a problem they had in one around when they missed a few. That's right, they've over corrected, and.
Speaker 1: As a consequence, we're now going into another magic round shrouded in uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I forget who said I think Joe said it. Working class people I mentioned on this show all the time, save for weeks and weeks and weeks for their flights, accommodation, food, ground entry, they get up there and they're watching Yeah thurday and on two.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think they'll drop off this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they will but then they open themselves up to being inconsistent again, like its look to be honest, they can't win in many respects, they can't, but there's just there has to be there's no way that they can have some of the incidents exactly crazy. But I can't believe like I would have sent current from the field from that in that Bulldog's Broncos game. I thought that was terrible that the shoulder charge on paying hears how he can get tending to be in pole a can get the same same punishment from a different game. Is like, that's that's a game that's at two polar spectrum.
Speaker 2: To blame the refs, they've got to back stop there.
Speaker 1: I hate to be a ref. Fast Well, this is what I reckon the game again. And I also don't blame what they also. And I was on s c N on on Saturday and we had Craig Bellamy and I asked him this question. I said, Belly, it must be extremely difficult for a player and a coach these days. The game's gotten immeasurably quicker in the last four or five years because of the the six to go rule. The players have never been quicker. They've never been stronger, they've never been more agile. And if you're trying to and they're all coming together so much quicker, it's so hard for him not to hit each other, you know what I mean. Like, it's just it's different to today's.
Speaker 2: It needs more common sense and I think this will go a long way to being achieved with full time specialists in there.
Speaker 1: Remember you heard it here first. Absolutely, unless, of course it doesn't happen. Okay, let's get to the news of the week, and there's a bit going on. Let's get to the Western Bears, who we broke, sorry buzz broke on this program last week. We had agreed in principle to be admitted into the NRL from twenty twenty seven. The thing that surprised everybody is that the NRL have just gone straight after out of work, well not out of work. Former NRL coach Brader, he's at Leeds, but he's not obviously in the NRL.
Speaker 2: What Wayne, Bam, thank you, ma'am, is just appointed as head coach.
Speaker 1: There was a strange it's strange to have you mearmarked already as the coach.
Speaker 2: Andrew, I ask you, where is the due diligence, Who made the appointment? Who decided Brad arthuris to coach this franchise? Did they ring Craig Bellamy? Did they make it call to Wayne Bennett? Did they check out Trent Robinson who people say, you know who knows they're in Cleary, I need a change? Did they No?
Speaker 1: I don't think they did.
Speaker 2: They just appointed Brad Arthur, who's never won a comport power. And I'm not begging Brad Arthur one little bit. I just want to know if they checked what else was around for other options? Did the Bears get to say the Bears had no idea? Absolutely no idea.
Speaker 1: It seems like nobody had any idea.
Speaker 2: Who made the appointment? Well, then of Orlandis was Andrew Abdall? Was it the commission?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Buss, but such.
Speaker 2: A significant appointment. You need a magnet for players, You need top echelon coaching, you do.
Speaker 1: I find it bizarre that they've they've identified the coach before they went and got the board, the CEO, the recruitment manager. I would have thought they were just as important before you worked out who your coach was. Do you reckon how many? How many? How many players. Is Brad Arthur going to drag there?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He might have got Dylan Brown, Sorry, but I thought he might have got Dylan Brown, but he's gone to Newcast.
Speaker 1: Do you remember how hard it was for Bennett, the most successful coach ner to build that Dolphins squad. So what's Brad Arthur going to do?
Speaker 2: But Wayne being the face of that club was a significant reason behind their success, an amazing success in being so competitive so soon, And I think I just wanted to know why other people weren't even considered.
Speaker 1: It's not too much, I agree. I agree, it's going to be interesting how it all like? Who they who they get? I know that I've read reports that they've identified paying Hass to go over there. I can't see him leaving Brisbane. It depends on the money obviously.
Speaker 2: But paying halfs will be the first one point five million dollar front row. Ever, the way he's going it was half back money. A prop like just playing the game on form this year so normally it's Cleary or pin up, but on form this year, paying Hass is the number one play in rugby.
Speaker 1: When was the last time a prop on the dam, if at all?
Speaker 2: Never I can't recall one.
Speaker 1: I can't even remember a Ford. Gavin Miller won it once, didn't you?
Speaker 2: Gavin Miller won a couple. Gavin Miller won a couple.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's next?
Speaker 1: Webby Dragon's coach Shane Fldagan has dropped half back Lachland Ilias for the match against the West Tigers. The young gun like a King Tonga. Hopefully I haven't pronound that nearly. He's coming in in his place. There's a lot of raps on that kid. I know the Knights are after him and they've just extended him at the at the Dragons. What do you think buzz of Ilias getting the chop for the Anzac Day massacre.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, Shane Flanagan had that bad press conference after about round three or four and he basically dumped on Locky Elias said, didn't he? So he's given him another three to four weeks. Even his manager Braith and Nash to concede on an R three sixty a few weeks back that look he was playing for his spote and look, I can understand the change had to be made around the Haars because they're seasons slipping away on them. The only thing I don't like is that Saint George put seventeen players onto the park on Anzac Day, and I reckon fourteen or fifteen of them were very, very ordinary and Locke had a lot of mates and to pick out the half is it tough?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It is. But I can also understand it because they go nowhere with him playing there.
Speaker 1: Before hang on, before this game, they'd gone one back to back games. I thought, I think it's unfair. I thought it was a little bit earlier. I think the drama for Flanno Shane Flanagan is that his son's in the team and also in the halves are not going great. I think Kyle's playing okay, but you know, I'm a Dragons fan. Buzz and my phone lit up with text messages about Kyle Flanagan, not Lachlan Ilius on his suggesting well not just suggesting that he wasn't playing particularly well. And this is going to be the drama for Shane Flanigan whilever he's coaching his son in that team. Is that like there's going to be claims of favoritism. I'm not saying that's the case. I'm not saying that's the case, but you know, Kyle's Kyle's a solid player, but he's not He's not brilliant.
Speaker 2: I've said before, unless you're Johnny Lang and Martin Lang and Ivan Cleary and Nathan Cleary. My goodness, it's hard to coach your Sanbozo had a manly with Scott and Bread and claims of nepotism picking them over the top more players who probably deserve the jersey a bit more. Look, I don't want to go into the Flannagan situation. I think Kyle's defense has kept him in the side more than Lockie, who's been found out on the edge a couple of times. Yeah, but I understand what you're talking about. There's certainly perception of you know, why.
Speaker 1: Don't you want to talk about it because you were close to Plannet.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm confirming there is a perception there because I think Kyle does not deserve to be dropped at this stage. However, if things do not pick up, oh here will be under massive pressure to stay in the side. They do not have a lot of better options.
Speaker 1: So no, that's it, that's it. That's it. But as I said, that's the that's the problem that it's going to be at that club while ever you have a father coaching his son. It's hard to watch the other.
Speaker 2: Night O dreadful antic day two years in a row.
Speaker 1: Sad. We brought it up, all right? Are we going to talk very briefly. We don't want to get too much into the Lachland Galvin situation, but can I just say this, after what happened at Leichhart on Sunday, there's only one way that he could silence the booze, and that was to play the house down, which he did. And I hope he hasn't signed with Paramatta because if he keeps playing like that, he'll just keep adding noughts to the end of his next deal. God, I hope it could work. It Is there any way, Buzz that they could just work it out that he could stay.
Speaker 2: He didn't look like a blake sewing the footy club dinner. He didn't look like a blake.
Speaker 1: I look like a blake. Unhappy with the cold.
Speaker 2: I'd abandon all legal proceedings right now. They're filling the pockets of guys. He charred three four thousand dollars an hour. You know I'm talking Barrisses. SC's called the jam off. He was terrific. The other day he had a smile back on his face, set up the first tribe, did high fives, jumped on players are just beautiful and it's a credit to the kid that he withstood all this pressure, tumultuous times in Tiger Town and good on him.
Speaker 1: Good on you, Lachlan final our final. Sorry we're keeping you from something.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'd just like to keep you rolling on.
Speaker 1: I'm the host, unless you want to go with.
Speaker 2: The most Andrew WebStar.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of the More City Bears, Let's kiss, former Bears winger is the next Onlies coach.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit ignorant, as many listeners would be aware on my rugby union topics, I don't know a lot about les Let's kiss. Remember him as a good fellow when he played as a winger on the old concrete pit at bar Bar Park, No Sydney Oval, and he.
Speaker 1: Was a less It wasn't so much as speed. So he's a good defensive winger. I remember.
Speaker 2: It's funny wingers and coaches. Wayne Bennett, you know, Johnny King was a great Johnny King was a coach Western Division.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: You know Wayne played for Australia. Now Les Kiss he.
Speaker 1: Go, So I don't know much about him, so it's sort of like being speculated for a while. There was others in the mix, including Michael Checker, but but I mean Les Kiss. He's the coach of the Queensland Reds. He's been the front runner for the job for some time, to take over from Joe Schmid, who will vacate the job at the end of the year. But it's it's an interesting it's an interesting one in the sense that so he had a rugby league career obviously, then tried he's I think he was at the Northern Eagles as an assistant coach and then and then went and found his way in rugby union all around the world, including the Reds this year, and now he's going to coach the Wallabies in the lead up to the twenty seven World Cup. It's a good appointment. It's a good story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to learn a bit more about him, and I'm sure there'll be some good media and television interviews and docos and all that.
Speaker 1: Which you get him in.
Speaker 2: He well, why don't we put in a request?
Speaker 1: I think what are you well? I think you should your Rugby's friend.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not, but it's a huge job. It's a huge job because rugby. Although the money is coming in, I've still got such a long way to go and we need a healthy, strong Wallaby outfit well well.
Speaker 1: When the Wallabies are going well, Australian rugby is going well. So yes, let's get it going.
Speaker 2: That's a big skirt. When the Wallabies are going well, Australian rugby, thanks for that. And when they're going bad, they're going back.
Speaker 1: But you need you need your national team going well. Oh right, that's very very important to the Australian rugby brand.
Speaker 2: Sorry for picking up where you needed to be.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you that. Let's get to our very popular section war stories, where Buzz basically talks about his favorite subject himself. You really tell us there. You gave us a little taste a little more.
Speaker 2: Week when you're talking about Greek I've got some happy war stories that I am going to tell, but you seem to like the ones where I'm involved in combat and it's not a particularly memorable day of my career. I used to get on okay with g I, but Melbourne Storm when they broke the salary cap. I took a picture a boat in his car park, which turned out was a gifted to him, and we plastered all over the back page of the Telegraph under my byline, and he gave me life basically, and that was it. You know, we're doing my job, you know, exposing the roots along with you. The Harvey Norman bloody cards and two contracts.
Speaker 1: It was a red Manila folder. Yes, yes, the red was never supposed to be anywhere on site because it had the secret contracts. But no, no, no, no no. The storm my heart done by a power.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I kept my ten meters with him at all times after that, and you know, I didn't want to make a scene. But anyway, he was getting married on the Sunshine Coast about six or seven years later, and it was this big story g I settling down and so I ranked Shane Richardson, who was at Theuse, and I said, mate, can you check with g I Funk cover his wedding And he said yeah, mate, no problems. Rich rings me back. He said yeah, mate, sweet gave me the name of the resort. So on a Sunday morning, I flew to Sunshine Coast, hired a car picked up. A photographer turned up at the wedding at the resort, mingled with guests, got the camera ready. Ge I seized me and gives me the desk there and tells me I'm not welcome. I said, rich, I told me you cleared it. He said, you aren't not welcome. Go and I said, mate, I've come all the way from Sydney. He said go, And this was no time to negotiate.
Speaker 1: So can I have some of the cake?
Speaker 2: So I then made an executive decisions that I'd flown all this way. You know, a thousand airpis a bit of accommodation. A high car filled the tank up was an expensive assignment. I thought, I cannot go back to Sydney empty handed. Grabbed the photographer, found some bushes and hid behind the bushes. It didn't bush trick with telescopic lenses, and we got the money photo. We got a picture of g I and his lovely wife.
Speaker 1: From from the bushes.
Speaker 2: From the bushes.
Speaker 1: That's that's great. That's old school pat old school tabloid.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it gets worse. I said to him, look, we should try and find out where the official photo is and you know, get that. So next thing I know, GI and his bride were sitting out the back of a golf cart, which was taking them to the beach to get their official podos, and they see us behind the bushes. I'll never forget his lovely wife going like this to me, giving me the.
Speaker 1: Bird, flipping the finger. Oh she what you do?
Speaker 2: I said, Lord, I've had enough of this assignment. Let's go, We've got anyway. I punched out a colorful three hundred four hundred words and yeah, page one exclusive. G I is wedding bliss and whatever these sort of new idea journalists.
Speaker 1: My god, and how are you with him? Now?
Speaker 2: It's funny, as I said, I kept my ten meters wherever you know we were. There was a chance we're going to bump, and then we're on a plane to Las Vegas. Last year, he was sitting in the ray behind me. This is awkward, but look I got up to put my bag in the overhead locker and g I said, gumbarz and MI your cans, and so nothing had ever happened.
Speaker 1: He's a good man, g. He's evolved one of.
Speaker 2: The greatest players I've ever seen, Laser bo and I can't I can't vouch him as a person because I really don't know him.
Speaker 1: I haven't look I remember doing a piece on him for Inside Sport when he was a kid. He's and he was very quiet. He actually grew up in a town called Maxwell, which is just south of where I grew up.
Speaker 2: Where the boat is called your Ranga. I think the boats retied to Maxwell.
Speaker 1: Well he is. He's as I said, he grew up near where.
Speaker 2: I grew I thought it was Queensland.
Speaker 1: Very funny, but he's a very Maxwell's a very very strong apart from the home of the late Philip Hughes, but the rugby league wise was always a strong nursery. The Donovan brothers used to play for for Maxwell. A lot of a lot of really strong indigenous players used to come out of that area. So you know, if people forget from a young age he went away to Melbourne and if you've been anywhere else it would have been it would have been tough out if he wasn't under Craig Army sort of wing. But he he's really He's had his ups and downs obviously with with various issues, but you know, like a lot of these players buzz, they eventually grow and you know what I love, I love, I love you know. I look at Carne and Mitchell Peace, Wow, both off the Grog, both absolute role models. You know they were.
Speaker 2: Both Toddy Carney Las Vegas had the best chat to him, right, best chat to him, and I've written about all his scandals. He was such an impressive dude over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's amazing how these guys.
Speaker 2: Todd on the loose in Vegas ten years ago would have been a friggin night meat. I want to talk about Maxwell. Not important, but they've built that bloody freeway around it now and I love that drive to Queensland. But I used to love winding through Maxwell.
Speaker 1: I didn't, didn't you wind because it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, the big survey there there is not a better ham and cheese toasty in the country.
Speaker 1: Have you've been there around holiday time? You can't. You could take you an hour to get through there, just like it was an.
Speaker 2: Hour to get to get a picturesque.
Speaker 1: Well, sorry, sorry for having family and your younger and having and wanting to get there a bit quicker than well you have your little little.
Speaker 2: Your I'm going to tell a happy war story next time.
Speaker 1: Well, did you want to walls through for me? When next week?
Speaker 2: Yes, unless you want one? Now have we got one? How are we going?
Speaker 1: Let's do it next week?
Speaker 2: Got your turn?
Speaker 1: My turn's next week?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's think of all the very few people I've fallen out within this job two hours. Feel as forecast buzz when you.
Speaker 2: Go first, because I haven't thought of one. You're better.
Speaker 1: Good nights of professional preparation. Look, I'm not going to tip a I'm not going to tip a multi this week. I'm not why because I don't want to, because that's.
Speaker 2: A great fork.
Speaker 1: I'm off the park.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: This is what I'm going to This is what I'm going to tip. This is going to tip. If you're going to magic round, there is only one place you have to b and that is the car park at the Caxton Hotel on a Saturday afternoon. That is where you will see, you will be touched in a deep and profound way because I remember being there last year and it is an experience in itself. Before you get to the foot it, make sure you go to the Caxton Hotel car park and to soak up the atmosphere or the four x either all my forecast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love magic ground and I do what I'm going to forecast. We're going to see eight games a great forty that the NRL have woken up to themselves. They're going to back off. I think the players will get the message too, and we're going to be celebrating a great weekend at forty where me and I'll be there. I'm staying on the beautiful Gold Court Coast beach walking and I swim, then drive up and consume some beautiful rugby league.
Speaker 1: Thank you for painting that picture.
Speaker 2: Well, see, that's what podcasts are about.
Speaker 1: Your voice at me.
Speaker 2: People like color. They to go behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Of what you getting out of the water. Well, it's getting close to your fiftieth Yeah, that's not yet we're getting I'm feeling icebergs. Let's not tell everyone where my fiftieth birthday party is, all right, we don't want dribblers coming in off the street.
Speaker 2: Bring a cake in next week.
Speaker 1: Very good? I like chocolate five O.
Speaker 2: They great, Webb, very good?
Speaker 1: Right, shut up?
Speaker 2: Where's the code?
Speaker 1: Off listen? Hold on, let me get to organized here. We have a special offer for listeners of Off the Record. You can get and your subscription to Australi's best sports website. That's Code sports dot com dot Are you for just forty nine dollars. It's a bargain featuring Australa's best sports journalism. The Code Sports app is essential for every fan, so head to codesports dot com dot au forard splash otr to get your special discount on your annual Code subscription. Download it now and you can also follow, subscribe and engage with us on socials. You can find us at Off the Record Podcast on Instagram and please subscribe to us on YouTube at Off the Record Podcast. And that's it, buzz, Thank you for another great week.
Speaker 2: Been outstanding, webbe outstanding.
Speaker 1: And we've got a podcast with a very special guest, Yes Matthew John's Wow that comes out in a couple of days. Stay tuned. Thanks guys,