Speaker 1: Matt, are you ready for a night of fun?
Speaker 2: I'm always down for fun NNA and you know that. Well.
Speaker 3: We hit two million listens this year and to celebrate, we're going on tour.
Speaker 2: That we are. So on Thursday the seventh of September, we're going to be in Melbourne, Wednesday.
Speaker 1: The thirteenth of September, we're going to be in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: And Thursday, twenty first of September, we're going to be in Sydney.
Speaker 3: We're going to have special guests, prizes and so much fun. So make sure you get your tickets in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Bye see you there.
Speaker 3: I want the fairy Tale, I want the Prince Charming.
Speaker 2: She how do I put this? Isn't a fan of my kissing style.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend and girlfriend For about twelve hours, he's in the trash bin. He's non recyclable, catching the muck.
Speaker 2: I love being love, I love love.
Speaker 3: On today's episode of Where's Your Head At, we are celebrating Father's Day by having Matt's dad, Peter Zukowski, visit us in the studio to chat all things raising Matt.
Speaker 2: We can ask my dad all the tricky questions such as whether or not I am his favorite child and why he decided to help me with my fertility journey.
Speaker 3: We will also share our best tips for celebrating Father's Day this year and what to get your dad when you've run out of good present ideas.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more.
Speaker 1: Hi, Peter, Welcome to the studio.
Speaker 2: Helloa, Welcome, Dad, Welcome. First question, where's your head at? Yes, it's all over the place.
Speaker 1: Some you know that here is the studio.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're present with us at the moment.
Speaker 3: We're excited to have you in here for fire thusday, Happy Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Firstly, what have.
Speaker 2: We got planned for Father's Day?
Speaker 4: I don't know, that's husually up for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dad always makes like plans so much harder than they have to be. Even trying to organize sam'swat birthday dinner on the this weekend your brother. Yeah, just it's so difficult. Just tell us a time and place and we all get there, do you know what I mean? It's all that back and forth, and you've got like three adults trying to organize something. It's always like I can't do this, I can't do that.
Speaker 4: So I can understand it's very difficult with you three because you've got your life. Your sister's got her life, and your other sister's got her life, and they just don't come together.
Speaker 1: It's hard. It's hard.
Speaker 2: We used to do Wednesday night dinner nights with Dad, so every week we would we would do a dinner with Dad, and then that sort of fizzled out during COVID dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, comes a bit.
Speaker 4: You didn't. Then you decided you want to do your own thing with your girlfriends and boyfriends, and Dad was left out in.
Speaker 5: The colt's he could just chuck a message saying hey, you could chuck a message saying hey, I'm having dinner here Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Come. And then I said to Dad, if you get two out of four, that's better than none.
Speaker 3: It must be hard, though, Like you're like, you know, number one, and then girlfriends and boyfriends come along.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine you'd be like, see you.
Speaker 4: And I was never number one. I was never number one. Well look my place, don't worry.
Speaker 2: I was always.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's their mom first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, their mother was always to be mummmies.
Speaker 2: Boy, would you say I'm a mummy's boy.
Speaker 4: I think you are to some degree because your mother does pandy you quite a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm living back at mums now and it's it's very handy.
Speaker 1: Now, it's getting washing done. He's living the highlight one very.
Speaker 4: Well looked after I can see that.
Speaker 2: And she was cooking my what do you call it my lunch for me meal? Prepping for me?
Speaker 4: Yes, which is you know, yes, at years old.
Speaker 2: Well, I was saying that, like it's gone from not being able to keep up with the dirty washing basket to not being able to keep up with the clean washing now.
Speaker 1: And that's a good problem, very good problem.
Speaker 2: I dirty when I was living out a home to now like a pile of clean in my room.
Speaker 4: Well, I suppose that's what your parents are there to do too, to some degree. And your mother looked after you, guys, very well, yeah she did, which she'd done a great job.
Speaker 1: Do you see a lot of yourself in that?
Speaker 4: I am now starting to see a bitting of myself in him. Yeah, not before, it's only as he started to mature a bit.
Speaker 1: I can start to see it in what wave.
Speaker 4: Some of his mannerisms. Yeah, and I see my like I can see a lot of my father and myself too now and it becomes quite scary because you start saying things and you're just like shit, sounds like that. And I'm sure he's starting to do the same thing now too.
Speaker 2: I say shit sometimes in the office and I'm like, fuck, that's so dad.
Speaker 1: I'm like, fuck me, what's wrong with being like each other?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's so much that negative. Yeah, okay, that way, but it's sort of like damn, you know where it's just your product of each other.
Speaker 4: I suppose that's what you know. When you spend so much time around each other, that's what ends up happening and you ends up doing that. So yeah, but it's interesting. Yeah, but he's got his own wife he's doing, and his own stuff and proud of him to do what he's doing at the moment.
Speaker 3: And yeah, was Matt hard when he was younger then?
Speaker 1: To raise? Would you say he was more challenging?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I didn't find it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I didn't find him that challenging because I was out having my own trying to establish my career. And you know, I often say I really lost a lot of time with the first two because I didn't I was too I was young and I wanted.
Speaker 2: To get ahead.
Speaker 4: And I was married at twenty four I think it was, and had two children, and it was just bang bang bang and work, you know, and I spent a lot of time away working overseas. You know, at one time there in my twenties, I was away for like six months backwards and fortant. And he probably doesn't mean you don't even remember that, do you may think? Yeah, So, so I missed quite a bit of time, and I regret that to some degree now because you miss out on that. So I've overcompensated now with Samuel and trying to spend as much time as I can with him. And I think they're a little bit annoyed with that, probably particular Emma more so than you guys, because she sees a lot more of it.
Speaker 2: And so Samuel, for everyone listening, is Dad's my half brother. So he had another child with your ex second Yeah, exit no in saying that, it is hard, like I think sometimes I don't think I've told you this, Dad, but like you know, seeing you with Samuel giving him affection as like a kid of that age, Like fuck, I yearned for like that sort of stuff. So seeing that sometimes is quite difficult to watch, but I'm happy that Samuel's getting it. So it's sort of like you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, look, I don't remember my father being affectionate towards me.
Speaker 2: I don't dad saying my granddad saying anything affectionate in my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, he wrote me really hard, and you know, so I looked upon that obviously, being the first son, got ridden, got road hard to perform, to be the best I can. So I expected that of you too, So that was what I knew. So I did that to you. Yeah, my old my younger brother, he got it a lot easier. But I mean, so it's flowed down the line, hasn't.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: But you know you've done what you wanted to do, you know, in your life, and you're doing what you want to do, should I say, And you know you're making a go of it's and that's good. You know you're doing something a bit different you did. You know you're working partially in the business, which is good too, which is you've got a four packer position, and you know you might come back into it later on, you might not, but that's that's your choice. You've got a choice, you know. I sort of had a choice, but didn't have a choice, you know, But that's never I never regret it. I don't regret it.
Speaker 2: I've done a lot.
Speaker 4: I've changed what I want.
Speaker 2: To achieve a quite big empire, built up and.
Speaker 4: Built an empire. Yeah, and you know, I've done everything I wanted to do in my working career, and I'm very happy with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think a lot of dads can relate to the fact that when their kids were younger, they were pursuing their career goals, but it was always like for the sake of the kids. I know that my dad was away a lot and he as that and he doesn't have any younger kids. But I think when I have kids, hopefully one day, or my brother has kids, I think you'll.
Speaker 1: Put a lot of that energy into the grandkids.
Speaker 3: I think, to be able to spend more time with them, because it's hard as a dad, you have to feel this like pressure to provide for the family.
Speaker 4: I think more so as you get older, you become more patient. I think that's one of the key elements. You become more patient. You don't have to please everybody. You think about yourself and you think about you know, if you have grandchildren, you know, you provide them, give them the time. You know. Me having a younger child in later years has provided me with patients and you know, and that was that's a good thing, I'm sure for me and for the other kids to see become a lot I'm a lot of a different person because I was quite angry there for a little bit, and that's just kind.
Speaker 2: Of lowed out in his old age. And he's definitely like Dad was there, not just yeah, you're like I am now in my twenties, like you get fired up.
Speaker 3: Really, you know, I think you've mellowed out heaps in the past two years, just from my personal experience. Yeah, I don't know if you would agree that recently he's mellowed out.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think, I think because he hasn't got the pressure of being you know, obviously having a bit of famous put a bit of pressure on him and for him to perform to a certain you know, at a certain level. And then having you having girlfriends that are you know celebrities as well, for one, and that's caused a bit of tension with him and wanting him to be there. You know that that doesn't help, and then you've got no time. You know, the eyes are on you all the time too, so they see things and.
Speaker 3: You know, well, look that brings me to my next question. What have been your thoughts on that? Exes?
Speaker 2: But I have to listen to one? For one, where do I start?
Speaker 4: Look, we all make our choices in life, and if they are his choices, you know, that's that's what it is.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't have to approve of them. I don't have to live with them. I don't have to see them. It's quite simple, you know. So if he thinks that that's right for him. You know, he often asks his family what he thinks, what they think of his girlfriends, and you know, I sit there and listen, and his sisters don't hold back on him, which you.
Speaker 2: Know at all.
Speaker 4: They tell it how it is. And I think if I did that to Matthew he would probably be quite upset. So I just sit back and let him do what he needs to do.
Speaker 3: Is that hard to sit back if you feel like potentially not saying that I think this, but if you see him with someone and you think that could be a mistake, is it hard to kind of hold your tongue.
Speaker 4: No, I if I really thought, if I felt strongly enough, I just tell him straight up. But you know, you've got to make your own mistakes to in life. If that's if that's a mistake he makes, hopefully he learns from it. But for some reason, he's not learning at the moment. So, yeah, he's gone through quite a few mistakes.
Speaker 2: I'm a sucker.
Speaker 4: So if he continues to do that, you know, well, then he's got to ask himself the question about himself. Then is there something about himself that's sending these young ladies into, you know, the state they get into.
Speaker 2: Well, that's sort of that's sort of what I did. And then I found out the journey of the diagnose that I did with ADHD, because I was like, look, you know, and it's the lowest common denominator here, happens to be me. So what's going on? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did you feel when Matt told you he was diagnosed with ADHD.
Speaker 4: I don't fully understand it, and I'm not going to sit here and.
Speaker 2: Say that's very old. Still it is what it.
Speaker 4: Is, I don't know. Yeah, so I would I would say, okay, he's got a ah, what does that mean? You know, a tension diffinite definite attension. I should probably know that definite. I don't know what it is something you know, so I I don't know. I find it.
Speaker 2: I'm a very.
Speaker 4: Black and white person to some degree. So you're rather sick of you and not.
Speaker 5: Sick you WOHD is sick?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm using it.
Speaker 1: It's an analogy black or.
Speaker 4: White, you know. So to me, I find that, you know, I struggle with that bit. Yeah, but look, I'm sure if I research it and find out what it's about, I might have a bit better of an understanding of what it actually is and why he's the way that he is.
Speaker 2: Well, we've done it. We've done and we've been talking about it. And since I've got my diagnose, there's a lot of half moments of why I do certain stuff and why I have behaved certain ways in different situations because of like my ADHD. Now, so you probably have the same a half moments.
Speaker 4: I have a half moment.
Speaker 2: No, Well, you'd realize why I do what I do and why I behaved one way I have it was a little bit about our history. Do you whack when we were growing up? Did you did? Did you feel the same as I did?
Speaker 3: Like it?
Speaker 2: We were hard to connect you and I like we didn't there was something that we didn't click.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, I think from what I can gather, kids were my three older ones were a lot were angry at me. So I think that played an important a role in how we communicated Matthew and I because they are angry at what happened and they and and I was one not to say anything. I kept my mouth shut about everything and tried to try to just let them vent their event their anger. And and I think that's where Matthew struggled to communicate with me, because he was angry at me, and then I would get a bit annoyed and then come back at him. And you know, as they've matured, they've realized that that things were different, and won't you know, sometimes they might have been miss it might have been misconstruted or what happened. And you know, and I oftnen analogize this through Lara saying, you know a few things to me as she got older and it was like light bold moments for her. Oh ship Dad, I didn't realize this. And then they asked me some some stuff a few months ago, both of them, all three of them, and I thought, shit, they're really starting to understand, you know, to understand being an adult, what an adult is, you know, and experiencing those things, which was good. So yes, to answer your question, yeah, we did have issues to start with, but.
Speaker 2: We went to we went to a what do you call it, not couple's canceling like canling.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 2: Yes, we had a couple of sessions. There were saying for maybe five or six of them. Did you think that worked? It didn't in a way.
Speaker 4: It didn't. It didn't. It helped you to get out what you needed to get out, helped me to get out what I needed to say. Yeah, I think. I think overall, as time goes by, people people find their find their paths in communication. And you know, you need to communicate with me in a certain way as I do with you, and it might not be the same as everybody else, but the message still comes across. It's the same with me. I communicate in one way with your grandfather and in other ways I don't do it with anybody else because that's the way he he communicates with me. So so as you you know, as you get older, you understand that.
Speaker 1: You know, is it harder to raise daughters or sons?
Speaker 4: So to both, Yeah, I got too. And two, I think you expect from your sons. You expect more from them. You expect them to be like you to some degree. You expect them to for want, play football like you played football, with the intensity you played, but they don't. And you know, so you've got to wear that. With the daughter, you sort of have an expectation of detection more than anything else. And you know, but it's very clear, you know, girls tend to gravitate to their dad and boys gravitate to their mum. Now, and that's that's with your family as well. Anna, Yeah, pretty much, absolutely pretty much what happens. You know, I can bring up Lara and Emma and have a conversation with them about nothing but be on the phone for an hour. Yeah, well I couldn't do it with Matthew. I'd be on the phone for ten minutes and we'd talk, we have a meaningful conversation about something, and then they be it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we've gotten better at that, having conversations on the phone like we would. I remember going back when I was like what twenty two twenty, like from like nineteen maybe to twenty four, like I couldn't talk to you, Like I just couldn't. I couldn't. I didn't know. We just couldn't talk, don't you reckon? I just couldn't. It depends, Yeah, it depended.
Speaker 4: But I think there's lots of things going on too, you know, lots of different things going on in in our personal lives as well. So that really made it very hard for all of us to try and communicate. And the only time we communicate is on a Wednesday and Wednesday night we'd sit around talk and you know, it would be depending on how the conversation went. One person would get angry, one person wouldn't you know the things that were said that weren't happy, someone would leave. But it was it was pretty you know, pretty intense intense in times.
Speaker 2: Would you find it hard seeing me, like you've obstically said before, you want your son's for expectation to be like you. Was it like weird not weird? Was it difficult seeing me not do like the same journey that you went on, or wanting to do the same path that you wanted me to do.
Speaker 4: Essentially, No, it wasn't. It wasn't. I think at some point in time you might take that journey because you know it. You might do it like I'll do it. Yeah, but I have the same I have a strong principle on what I do, as in, you know, I believe it should be done a certain way. That it or wrong, but I believe it should be done that way. I disagree with Yeah, that's right. So you might change that way. Whether I say it's going to work or not work, who knows. But today I've taken the principle. You know that, you know what I how I respond with things, and how I what I think is the right way to talk. You know, it's worked for me continue to work.
Speaker 3: So you know, I don't know how often you listen to our podcast, but we did have a fortune teller on the podcast, and she actually said that in the future, Matthew and Samuel are going.
Speaker 1: To fight over your business. How do you feel about that.
Speaker 4: I didn't listen to that podcast. I don't know whether Mathew Matthew. Matthew's sort of gravitated to it a bit. I don't know whether Samuel will. He's a whole different child, and you know he might, but you know he's he's considered probably the luckier one out of the luckiest one out of all of them, because he's the last on both sides. The only for my ex it's he'll be blessed, Let's put it that way, not that they are not blessed, but.
Speaker 2: You know, people have other options and other stuff that he like, I do as well, But I think that I don't. I don't see him coming to like to work for you like I did.
Speaker 4: But he's talking, he's not. You know, well, Emma hasn't done it, uses to so refuses to, you know, after she's seen her sister and brother worked there. She's basically refused to. So I've tried to tempt her to come to work and.
Speaker 1: Have to pay. I'll give you five dollars more.
Speaker 4: Family.
Speaker 2: Family doesn't get anything.
Speaker 1: I have a question.
Speaker 3: So obviously your relationship has progressively like gotten better as the years have gone on. When Matt went on Love Island, did it kind of show you a different side of him or a new perspective on him?
Speaker 4: That was Yeah, that's interesting because he when he told me he was going to do it, and then he got selected. I said to him very clearly, I said, there's going to you need to understand a few things. I said, There's going to be people that are going to absolutely love you, and there's going to people that absolutely hate you.
Speaker 2: I had my whole life.
Speaker 4: If you can handle the haters, then do it, because the haters of the will bring you, will bring you down sometimes if you listen to everything they talk about, you're going to it's going to slaughter you. But if you can handle that, then then do it. Overall, I didn't want him to do it, I said no, but I said that was the things that I left him with. And then when he went on, I watched it and there was a few moments there where I was ready to punch the television because I thought he said some things that were a bit you know. I thought, ship, what did he say that for? Why didn't he leave that, you know, in the closet, because that's something that you don't speak about. And there was some and there were some very funny things that he did. And then when he got off and we were talking in the car on the way home about everything and him telling me the things how they get there, because I knew reality TV was contrived a bit, but you know, to the point where I didn't realize how contrived. And then when he was talking to me about this certain scene or we were asking certain things and what happened there, and then it all started to make a bit of sense. And so, yeah, you know, he did it. He did it, and you know, it worked for him, and here he is today, and I was pretty proud of him to do it. But at the same token, I thought, you ship, you know, it takes a lot of balls to get out there and put yourself out there when he had I mean, I bring this up because it was one of the first things that when he was crying with with with what was that girl? I remember, you know, I looked at that whole thing, and you know, without when you didn't know the background and how people deal with it, you saw Matthew crying and crying, crying, and then when he come out and explained exactly how that all rolled out, you've got a better perspective of what exactly happened.
Speaker 1: Happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, I understood it, but you know, I'm sitting there and you know, I'm copying the texts from people that are watching it that are my friends, going you know, so I look at him, bah bah, and I'm like, yeah, yeah, okay, So that I was even getting a bit of that, you know, a bit of you know, backlash backlash from it. So but yeah, and you know obviously the other one with the girls and stuff like.
Speaker 1: That, that you know, yeah, that's where I.
Speaker 4: Want to belt the telly, I want my body and I want to punch the telling.
Speaker 2: I was annoyed at that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like your biggest regret, that's my biggest at least, it's something that you've been able to learn from.
Speaker 2: I don't say anything around that anymore at.
Speaker 1: All, at all, at all.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't. I mean, that's just something that you should never even discussed it with anybody.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't, yah, I definitely shouldn't have. And they took advantage of it, of course.
Speaker 4: And that was just to make television made television.
Speaker 2: And I've said it before even on here. I wasn't even by far the most, but it just fit their storyline.
Speaker 4: The story fitted with the way they were moving their characters and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: The narrative a better reaction to tell why of course.
Speaker 4: I mean you've done something that that week and it worked in there in their production.
Speaker 2: So respect the hustle on their behalf though, to get to do what they need to make.
Speaker 4: To get the ratings up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a hundred ratings.
Speaker 4: You know, they gotta they gotta produce television for ratings.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite memory together?
Speaker 4: I enjoyed watching Matthew play football. I really did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably, Yeah, take him into football.
Speaker 4: You know, there was lots of times when we went to the football and watched him play. And I still love he was a ruckman and I u still enjoy watching him apply his craft. And you know, I always used to say, the great tap ruckman and had a really good motor. And I've listened to people in the background talk about him and they didn't know who I was, a lot of them, And you know, I was standing there listening to these people talk about how how he did this and how he did that, and made me quite proud to listen to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a core memory of dud when he used to be the runner for my football team and I was getting into a fight with a couple of like people and they're like on top of me. I think it was three players on top of me, you know, like jumper punching in that. And then I looked up and dadd had ripped him all off me where they were like trying to go Dad after it, and Dad was like, you know, I don't remember you were running away going like this or something off to him.
Speaker 4: That's probably from football. That was I've got in trouble over that. I wasn't supposed touch the players. I had no idea. I thought the start the runners and that were supposed to break the fights up and the kids.
Speaker 2: So he was like riffing them off me. And then they said they're trying to try to go Dad.
Speaker 4: So I do remember that game. That was the game where I you were playing a lot crap that day. I went out there and the runner, the coach gave me a message and I thought, no, that's not for Matthew. I just went out there and you're playing like ship. You need to fire after that him and then and then he he kicked a goal off the boundary and turned around to me. I had to run out because I said, go ahead, congratulate and so I ran out and he goes, see, I've told you so. It was one of the memories, and the other memory I have which has only just come back to light because of Samuel. Matthew could never take an overhead mark. He was always too scared to put his hands up and he'd always dropped his head. So I offered him money. He said to him, right, you can take an overhead mark. I'll give you fifty bucks. Was fifty bucks something like that. So one day he took this big overhead mark and he turned around to me and just pointed at me from the middle.
Speaker 2: Of the ground something like that or something, and that was it.
Speaker 4: After that he started doing it and bribed your kids to you, and I gave him money to kick a goal too, And then I did it with Samuel just recently, and all the other kids come to watch him. And this day he just took this overhead mark and kicked this big goal and you just turned around to me exactly the same thing and go.
Speaker 2: It was quite weird, the exact same.
Speaker 4: It was like dropped one hundred just like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, he could be seriously losing some big cash money.
Speaker 4: Because he did it again just recently. He goes to me, Dad. Another fifty said that you've had your one thing.
Speaker 2: Now that's it.
Speaker 4: You know, you've done it. I expected to last the whole season, and if you took him to second last game or something to do it, and Samuel did it in three or four, you.
Speaker 2: Know, same as playing some good football at the moment, what.
Speaker 1: Would you say Matt's best quality is.
Speaker 2: Too many to think.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just trying to I'm trying to think of something that I think Matthew has. He values his friendships. I think he values his friendships and I wasn't. Well, I did value my friendships, but not to the degree that Matthew does. He invests a fair bit of time into them. And I think that's probably a good trait to have, absolutely, because he's got some friends that he's had, you know, his entire life basically, so you know, and he does. You'll hear him say, oh, I've got to go with this guy, I got to go this and do that. And you know, I was thinking back to when I was twenty eight, and I'm like, catch up with them next week, next week, next week ends up being you know, three years down the track, and yeah, you know, and yeah, so he does. He's got one of his traits is he does value his friendships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, is it's a great quality to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that would happen a lot with people in their adult years that they put off seeing their friends, where I'm pretty conscious of not doing that and like, yeah, you've got to go see your mates and hang out with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we're going to talk about obviously we're talking about you having kids. Let's talk about like my journey. I obviously found out was it last year the year before that I was infertile. Well, let's not saying fertile that I'm shooting blanks. There's still options around that. I brought you along to all my appointments. How did you find it when you found out the news?
Speaker 4: Uh, it was a bit confronting because when you were first born, you had underscend the testicles. And we did everything as quickly as we possibly could to try and manage that situation as fast as we could. And I remember we went to see the doctor as soon as we found out. The next day, you're in hospital having it dealt with. And it wasn't a case of we let it go for six months. We did everything because the doctor said, the quicker you do it, the better it is. Right. So when you come back to say that, I thought, ship, we did everything we possibly could, and you know it didn't work. It's difficult, you know, because I often think that you you might miss out, you know, having grant and having kids.
Speaker 2: You're right, we have tissue.
Speaker 1: It's hard, hard, it's hard give them my heart.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that. M I wouldn't say it was your fault in the like the testical I wouldn't say it was that that that could be one of the the reasons, like it's I wouldn't blame yourself for it. Yeah, just miss out, which brings me probably Yeah to the next point that you obviously offered, because we were talking about in the closest thing to that's all right for me.
Speaker 4: It's one of the greatest things you can do is have kids.
Speaker 2: Well there's definitely options, like you know, science can come like lead them bounds.
Speaker 1: It's a really like it's really confronting. It's a really confronting topic. And it's I never cry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I've only seen Dad cry once.
Speaker 1: Sled it out.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like it's it's just something that you don't expect as a parent, and also you it's just it's really like, well, I.
Speaker 4: Could never imagine I could never imagine not having grand kids, particularly from Matthew. Yeah, you always want to see your children enjoy that, because it's a great thing to enjoy having children. Pains in the ass, but well, you know, and it was to go back to your question. It's very confronting, and you know, you blame ourselves, your mother blame to Yeah. Yeah, ship, you know I could have done more, but we couldn't, you know. So and then I said to Matthew, well, whatever I can do to help you if I need to, you know, like to be a mouse firm. Yeah, doctor said no, that's not the way.
Speaker 1: They do it, did they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What they what they say in the mood? They said something like that would be like a what do they say, like a daily mail article or something. They said something care He said something.
Speaker 4: Your great grandson or something. He said something, something very funny, and.
Speaker 1: He told me this, it's a daily mail article waiting to have Yah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said something like that.
Speaker 4: So he said that, so you know, obviously I sort of went, okay, Well I just thought that was the.
Speaker 2: Obvious I'm the same as you. I would if I was to get a sperm downer, I would prefer it to be dad, which is fifty percent mine. Then, you know, some not to say that some randoms aren't. It's good, but like, wouldn't you want something that's essentially.
Speaker 1: Your DNA DNA? Yeah, absolutely, so I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't care what he said about that, like yeah to me.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when it comes time for Matthew, if you wants step children, and we need to just do all we've got to do to make it work.
Speaker 1: Beginning the call up, well yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: He then said, my brother, you your brother. But but Samuel's what that to me? So it doesn't matter. I mean, it's still still your brother. Yes, it doesn't matter. It's still brother.
Speaker 4: That's the case. That was the case. But yeah, yeah, but yeah it was Yeah. I just yeah, kept kept it to myself.
Speaker 2: And that worked with what I had to deal with. Yeah, yeah, and I appreciate you for coming. I brought dad along to all the appointments with me just because I know, like, like the way I work, I didn't really take in all the information, so I wanted to bring a dad with me to hear it. And go through it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a it's a tough thing to go through.
Speaker 3: And I think obviously through those appointments you probably felt like you had to be strong from that and like taking all the information.
Speaker 1: But it's obviously like very such a difficult like subject and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look at the time, you've got to just deal with it and take it in. Yeah, you know, I don't don't think much about that sort of stuff. I just okay, right, it's there, it needs to be dealt with. Okay, we're being told the diagnosis me, he's got what.
Speaker 2: He black and white?
Speaker 4: Black and white thing, it's there, right, Okay, it's a bit of gray. But essentially it's we can do this if that works. If it doesn't, then.
Speaker 1: It's done right exactly.
Speaker 4: So then you've got to think of, okay, well that's got a percentage of this. What do we do to get it right?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, and as I've said before, there's it's if you're looking at percentage wise the three things they gave me, it's it's essentially more on the side that they can find stuff there, but it's we won't know until we cross that bridge.
Speaker 4: And they talked about taking it out now and freezing it, and they said, no, that's not the.
Speaker 2: Right way, because I could reduce the chances and chances of it.
Speaker 4: And stuff like that when you're really ready and do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then but then again, when you get to that point and you've got your partner that you want to get pregnant, and then they do the surgery and they find out, that's pretty a whole new confronting ball game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard having to wait, Hey, is it not? What do you think, Peter?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think if Matthews finds somebody these he wants that he wants to settle down with that fits his criteria, I want, you know, then you know he should if he really wants to do it, he should do it straight away because it's not going to be three minutes and it's going to happen. It's going to take six months, twelve months. Yeah, you know, there's going to be a whole lot of stuff he's going to go through. So he needs to he needs to deal with that absolutely.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've expressed that as well in the past before. It's not going to be It's not as easy as like, you know, not pulling out one time it's going to be like a process of like you know, yeah, expensive and long process. Yeah, but it is what it is. I guess that's what I've got to do.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's recently single. Now do we think the next person that he meets could potentially be the one? What are we thinking?
Speaker 4: I don't know. No, yeah, I don't think it will be anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon something I've learned from you? Dad? Or sorry, you haven't told me this or any thing, but I picked up from you as you were awfully young to get married and have kids. Yeah, and I and even like it goes high as my uncle in England was awfully young as well. He was, and I feel like looking at you guys, I don't want to be in that situation. I want to be older and I've taken a while to mature. I feel like, oh, you can agree with that, yeah, And I want to be properly ready mature and to settle down and have that say you're too young, You weren't.
Speaker 1: You were twenty three.
Speaker 2: You were mature for your age. But I think that, like you know.
Speaker 4: No, I was with if I look back, I was too young. Ye, I was too young. It was just lucky that your mother was a lot older than me, so that helped the whole situation. But I was I should have waited a lot, a little bit longer, but your mother was desperate to have kids, so so it went. And you know, I don't regret it because I've I've never regret it. It's because i've I've been was a young dad, and I experienced being a young dad, and now I'm experiencing the other side of that, of being an old dad. So I've had the best of both worlds to some degree, and you know that's changed my perspective on different things. I just don't want to be a young grand for others.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Well, look, it's Father's Day. That's why we've got you in here.
Speaker 3: We want to ask you what makes a good Father's Day?
Speaker 4: Ah, makes a good having your family around? I suppose, Yeah, that's that's probably the main thing, just having your kids around you and you know, enjoying their company.
Speaker 3: What's your ideal way that you can spend Father's Day just for your kids? Listening from maybe people who are still organizing, That.
Speaker 2: Would be literally the day. I'm pretty sure dad came around last night for Samuel's birthday. And when you left, Lara was like his dad realized that that's his father's day.
Speaker 4: There you go, that's my fame. So at home by myself. No, just I think just having your family around and them showing you a bit of attention, I suppose, and that's probably what I want. Yeah, I can't ask.
Speaker 1: For much more than that ideal gift.
Speaker 2: A pair of socks, such a class as I an adult now, the socks and jocks present doesn't go straight exactly. Probably the best present because you always need it. We always lean on something, I guess with like the Star Wars theme, you know, like dar fad I am your father mostly leaned towards that.
Speaker 4: And I've got a few use on the fridge. Yeah, we're writing you something and then like yeah on the fridge and I call it up.
Speaker 2: And taking out for dinner. I'm ready had an expensive taste last time? What was that flower drum?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Good taste, very good.
Speaker 3: If I had a dinner, I a you, I would want to get a flower to be honest, I'm sure you would would.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very nice to feed as well. How do you think dating is different from this error? Back when you were dating, like the obvious ones is obviously you know, like tinder hinge and that.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 4: I think women today are much more liberal in their approach to things, and they're almost to some degree directed in the traffic. You know, they'll they'll tell you what they want. And it was not like that, well, not that I can remember in my day. It was more of acording process. Nowadays it's more straight down the line. I have a funny story that I remember you telling me. Correct me, if I haven't missed anything out anything like that. Did you not used to write your number because back in the day it was like paper notes.
Speaker 2: See girls that you were interested in on one hundred dollar notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was I like that.
Speaker 2: It used to be a good party trick.
Speaker 4: So it was two things I used to do was I always would keep money in my shoe, so if I ever got really drunk and I've lost my wallet or run out of money, I always had money to go home in the taxi, so it always smart shoe off and I'd have I would always put a hundred dollar ode in there, so I always had had money to get home. And generally if I was in the city, it would take about one hundred dollars to get home, so I always had it there just in case, just in case things.
Speaker 2: I'd end up using it rver.
Speaker 4: I often forget about it because busy, so you forget about it. The other one I used to do was i'd always I used to write the girls. So I pull out one hundred dollar late out of my pocket, added my wallet or whatever it was, and i'd write the note the one hundred of the phone number. On the note, I.
Speaker 2: Love it, and oh wait, so you would write there, so you're not giving them the hundred them.
Speaker 4: What I'd do, right, I'd write them write the number down one hundred dollar. Because you didn't have any I'd say, I've got my paper. I hang on a second, I'll pull out the date and write it on it. It was a good party trick.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 4: And I put it away and then we'd go it on a date and I'd use one hundred dollars to pay to see. I kept your number, and so it was. It used to be. It used to work. It worked for a little while.
Speaker 1: Then, that's very good. I'm actually very impressed.
Speaker 3: At the start, I thought you were like handing out like every girl you saw.
Speaker 2: Some hundreds in expensive.
Speaker 4: I used to do that and it worked, but yeah, that was that. But you wouldn't do that now, Yeah you.
Speaker 1: Would have one hundred.
Speaker 4: That plastic notes.
Speaker 1: Now where did you? Where would be like a place where you would meet people.
Speaker 4: We used to frequent the city quite a bit, and we used to go to nightclubs in the city, and so we used to frequent one and that used to have a happy hour between five and six. So I used to have all the office people come through. So it was a big jugging a lot to get all the boys together and get there by five o'clock. And and we used to trouble sometimes getting into the place. And so one of our was a group of three or four of us used to go all the time. And one of them got to know they used to give out medallions, if you ever remember they used to.
Speaker 2: Do they have them still they used to good.
Speaker 4: So this guy knew the guy who made the medallions. So what we did was we all used to get a medallion. So at the front door, we'd show them medallion. The guy would just glance at at the bounces would just glance at it. Up we'd go put the medallions weighing pay because I had no number on it, so they didn't. So we did that. We did that, We did that for years. We did that, and then I never got caught, never got caught. And then eventually we got to know the security very well because a lot of the gym that I trained at at that time, a lot of security people used to train there, So I got to know the secure already staffed quite well. So we just walk up to the front door and we'd all go in and you know, that'd be that'd be it. That's how that's how ended up. But yeah, and that's where we used to meet people. You know, in that environment. You know, you know, there was no slight right, swipe left, look at profiles, there was none of that. You actually have to interact with that person, get a vibe for him and see what they want to call.
Speaker 2: Their home phone on the home phone. Yeah, what happened when you met mum?
Speaker 4: Didn't you chase her to the other side of Yeah, when I met your mother, I she obviously wasn't living in Australia. No, No, your mother was used to be a flight attendant and we met her a night out one of those famous nights out and we interacted and then we kept in contact, kept in contact. I'd ring her and international calls international. She lived in the Middle East, so it was quite expen it was quite expensive to call. And yeah, I asked to come over. I followed her over. That was one of my very first trips overseas was to there.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 4: I'd been to Balley before that, but not too not that far abroad, and that was one of my first trips over there, which was really eye opening. And that sort of gave me a bit of a travel bug. You enjoyed going to those types of places Middle East and it was, you know, very interesting.
Speaker 2: And you asked her to come back here.
Speaker 4: He asked to come back here to live and yeah, we got married, three children, three kids, and yeah, I mean sixteen years later. M Yeah, it's over.
Speaker 2: Oh, here's what it is, isn't it. Do you have any advice for people dating now then ship or anything that you've learned that you want to give people? Me, maybe let's me and everyone advice.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I'm not up with what I've never used any of these apps to to attract ladies or hook up with ladies or anything. Like that, so I I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 3: Really you don't really use apps though, to be fair, that's like not you're more on the vibe.
Speaker 2: That's not my To be fair, I don't really use dating apps. I've said, I've never really slept or hooked up with anyone from a dating app. I've gone on a date off.
Speaker 4: But you still use you still use social media to it to find those things where we never had that. So it's very difficult. You know, when I meet people, I still meet them in the old fashioned way. You know, I interact with people and talk to them and get that, don't you know, sit there and go and try and get a vibe to me. You know it's not you know.
Speaker 2: Then I've got a I've got another question then on what advice would you have And obviously you've had multiple relationships on how to keep a good relationship, what you've learned that you've done, that's a very good question.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest thing that you learn is patience.
Speaker 2: Before well, we've had a nice phone called recently patience.
Speaker 4: You learn to be patient, and not everybody's going to have the same opinion as what you have. You've got to respect their opinions. If their opinion is that they want to walk up that wall, well okay, I don't think you're an idiot, but walk up. It's not going to change what I think of you. But you know, it's it's you've got to learn to accept people for what they are. A lot of a lot of relationships, it's either the man's trying to change the woman or the woman's trying to change the man to something what they want, and you can't do You can never do it.
Speaker 1: You really can.
Speaker 4: The minute that starts to happen, you need to you need to say, hang on a second, this is not working for any of us. Let's go, let's get out of it, you know. And the minute that that happens, you you've got to accept who you are. If you if you worked twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, if you don't like it.
Speaker 1: Well then find someone who doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, find someone who doesn't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: If you're prepared to accept that, well then that's good, you know, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So it's that's that's the best advice I can give you, because I think at a young age, we're all trying to impart our our impart our views and beliefs and beliefs onto your partner, onto that next person, because you feel that they're right, you feel that they're all your your your opinion is the right opinion. Well, at the end of the day, no opinion is right, So it's an opinion. It's an opinion. So you've got to you know, you've got to accept that, you know, and the partner has to or the girlfriend or the boyfriend has to accept that. Well, you know, that's how it is.
Speaker 2: I've been stuck there with that sort of stuff where you're trying to like, you know, to convince your partner that that that your opinion is the right one, and it gets you like, that's.
Speaker 3: Great advice that I think you should take on in your next relationship.
Speaker 4: There's no arguments are a wasted emotion. You know, argue about something that you need to be argued about. Have a healthy conversation.
Speaker 2: I remember one, and.
Speaker 4: Talk about your opinions and you know, you know, but respect each other's opinion and then you know that's it, and that's just yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember you and Mum even having an argument back when I was younger about music on movies or something. You disagreed.
Speaker 4: It's just even then, I was like, wy you guys, look like I said to you, you know, when you're younger, you're trying to impart you're trying to push those opinions onto people. And you know what if that, if that was to happen today, you know, it would probably be like, he gives.
Speaker 2: A fuck what the music is.
Speaker 4: The day I'm watching the movie music it's about, I don't want to know about it, you know, you know, and that's the way way more important things to worry about in life than you know, what type of music is.
Speaker 2: I've been in arguments with my partners in the past and said, like, there's actual fucking problems in the world, like what we're just like having a discussion about.
Speaker 4: And that's why that's why I look at back now. I go so much wasted energy, so much wasted emotion for something that just doesn't need to be there, does not need to be there. You just you know, you need to get on with it, you know, just you know, deal author, there's so many important things. You know, if you've got children together, it's more important to think about what's going on with the kids or you know what, you know, what's happening here or what's happening there, than worrying about you know, music or you know who's the political opponent on the other side of the world.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just.
Speaker 1: So that's so true.
Speaker 3: Well, Peter, thank you so much for coming into the podcast. This has been an incredible interview. I've absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: I know that, Yeah, thank you, Dad and I really appreciate it. It was it was a good, good chat that we've had.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. Thank you, Bye bye.