Speaker 1: Welcome to First things First, I'm Maddie Mills. My pronouns are he and him.
Speaker 2: I'm Brook Blurt and my pronouns are she and her.
Speaker 1: And before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we record, and for me today that's the gaddigal people of the orination.
Speaker 2: And for me it's a reundery people of the cooler nation. Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Ooh, what an exciting episode we have.
Speaker 1: Oh, super exciting because off the back of hosting the National NATOK Awards on Ghana Country in Adelaide, we have Steph Tisdell, who is an author, actress and the best stand up comedian in this country. I'm saying it, Ah, you stop it right now. You know what, I'm not the only person who said that. I had lunch with the comedian the other day and they said to my face, they said, I was so excited about having you on the on the podcast Steph, And they said to me, I absolutely love her. She is the best stand up comedian in this country and she doesn't do stand up anymore.
Speaker 4: You gonna tell me who said that?
Speaker 3: Oh, I will if you got to dollars.
Speaker 2: Bargaining?
Speaker 1: What that?
Speaker 2: So you're not doing a stand up anymore.
Speaker 4: I can't do it. It's too it's too hard, I think to be a black woman in comedy, it's brutal. I think being a black profile person in general, you followers must cop it too. But I think when you're you know, when you're trying to find a funny edge for hard stuff, then you're not only open to flat from white fellows, but mob too, because it's very hard to make sure you're getting getting across the important stuff without saying the wrong things or accidentally, you know, just it's so easy to try and make a point for people to listen to it, and then actually just being disrespectful, making it seem like you're laughing at things that are really tough for our mop And I just couldn't. I couldn't do that anymore. So scared, and there are so many reasons why I left. But I'm happy without it, if I'm honest.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's good to know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, you know, you've obviously gone on to achieve, you know, massive things in your career as well.
Speaker 3: After stand up?
Speaker 1: What is the difference between being on a set and a controlled environment to being out there and being so vulnerable in front of a crowd. Is it the fact that you don't know what you're going to get.
Speaker 4: I think it's some the feeling of collaboration and community. I think that's the big I think like support right, Like it's it's so weird. I remember I was having a chat with somebody about stand up and I tell everybody that I ever meet that they should do it because I'm a very anxious person, a very soft person, and quite insecure, you know, And I kind of always just think stand up is the most intimate thing that you will ever do. In the least intimate setting, is the most vulnerable thing.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I can only imagine you're literally like the person running into the burning house us.
Speaker 4: But on stage that I won't tell people in your daily level, it feels too close. But when you've got that sort of that cover of well I'm trying to make people laugh, like it feels very outside of yourself. But I think it's like it's so lonely because you get off stage and you've just put every answer of energy that you have in your body into putting an energy into the crowd. That's the big thing as well, I think is that above anything else, I just want to make people feel loved. So you're like burning out everything that you got and then afterwards you're really tired and people want to yarn to you and they want you to be funny, but by then you're not funny, Like you've done the funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gassed out, ye, empty the tank, Like, yeah.
Speaker 4: That's when you're a little nervous self doubt person comes out. And then you go to home alone, to little the lonely little hotel room and early flights and late nights and.
Speaker 5: It's not as glamorous as you're sort of saying, like, it's not anywhere glamorous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you.
Speaker 1: Think that's the Like that's the industry in general, right, It's like mirrors sell the dream, Like so much of our job is to create, you know, and it's an idea, it's a it's a fantasy for people outside of the industry to buy into.
Speaker 3: It's like that you've got to get them to drink the kool aid.
Speaker 1: Yes, drink the cool But I know that you know, you've been on our screens and we've seen you in you know a number of different shows, but can you give our viewers, our listeners at home a little insight to who you are?
Speaker 3: Well, who's your mob? Where you're from?
Speaker 4: Yes, so I'm a very proud you didn't woman. So my people are from fine North Queensland on the Athoden Tableland, Younger Bar area in particular, Sorr. That's my birds going off from the background when I stept to tell and I am this year, that's disgusting.
Speaker 2: I'm Nellie, I'm Nellie. There be there.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm happy to get old like wrinkles. That's why I'm going to get botox, but I'm happy to get.
Speaker 4: Black.
Speaker 5: Don't crack but he's like, yeah, literally, the boatos will fill the cracks.
Speaker 2: You're so fun.
Speaker 1: Someone said on RuPaul's Drag Race. They reckon black, don't crack, but do droop.
Speaker 6: That is I mostly grew up in Brisbane, but yeah, I was born in man Eiser on like Calcadoon country.
Speaker 4: Now I just kick around in Brisbane. That's me.
Speaker 2: Man Eiser is Calcadoon country, is it.
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I've been out to man Eyes. I went, oh god, I went to a muster that was interesting.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, living out on the farm.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, okay, I'm going to my yeah, by.
Speaker 3: The master cattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, cattle cows.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm thinking of, cows, my family, Steph.
Speaker 1: One thing that I found really interesting when doing a bit of research is the fact that you wanted to be a lawyer, which seems so far from where you are right now in terms of you know that being a lawyer isn't you know, that creative.
Speaker 3: It's more, you know, strategical.
Speaker 2: I suppose what policy and reading, what inspired.
Speaker 3: The change and actually what inspired you to want to be a lawyer?
Speaker 4: Do you know what? I think it's it's that age old thing. Everything's gonna say is going to make me sound like wanka Now.
Speaker 2: No, it's a safe place. This is a safe place. We you sound like wankas every day.
Speaker 4: I was a bit of an overachiever, you know, like I found school really easy, Like I just liked sort of academia, I guess, and I think it's one of those things when people tell you that you're clever or whatever, you go better do something clever. Then you know, oh yeah, I knew. I knew that I was just a little weirder, a little creative, weirder, but you kind of go, oh, well, I could do whatever. And I was so passionate, like I grew up. I grew up with so much privilege in Brisbane, and I just always thought, man, I've been given this privilege. I better do so much for mob And I thought, you know, I've had so many opportunities that so many of our people don't get. And so if I don't, you know, use it to get a degree where people will listen to me and I can write policy and even enter politics. I was like, I want to do stuff because you know, when you grow up in a really whiteweb around white follows you speak, you grow up you know, knowing how to work walk in that world. Yeah, and I thought, well, that's going to be my secret superpower, you know, And so I wanted to That's why I did what, you know, So I studied a jewel of law of journalism and then I dropped out two and a half years in to a five year degree. Like the idiot that I am.
Speaker 5: Ah, could you ever go back? Would you ever consider going back or finishing I can.
Speaker 4: Get every degree that's ever been done in.
Speaker 1: The entire.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so fun. I think.
Speaker 5: I think I already got a degree in so many things already in my mind, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I can do that.
Speaker 4: TikTok's diagnosing everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I just I just I realized it wasn't for me, or it wasn't you know, like I was always really sort of led by justice and wanting to do good things, and I was like, oh, that's right. Law isn't about justice. Law is about precedent and law and money and ownership, and it just really kind of and I wasn't. I didn't do very well at it because you actually had to try, because it was all self led learning and yeah, be like whatever, I'll just do some work in class, and you know, could get by. And all of a sudden, it was like, I don't fit here. I went to UQ and it's a bit pretentious in a lot of ways, you know, and I just went to a public school, and I was just like, I don't fit here. I honestly had a big breakdown and then went traveling and got dared to do stand up as a joke, and I just stood up on a chair and a random room did some stand up and it went well. And that was literally how everything happened. And then it's just been one of those things where everything is aligned after that moment and it's like, yeah, that wasn't my path.
Speaker 5: That like ripple effect of like that one moment and then yeah, taking an opportunity and then keep there's that sort of like yeah, the role on a factor from that experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just that thing of like I was sort of confronted with I guess all of the ways that I needed to decolonize myself because I was in this space. Gone, Man, I've been drinking their kool aid for a while. Why is nobody Why is nobody up in arms about the stuff that we're learning, Like, you know, like why is everyone okay with this course that we're doing where we're learning how to find loopholes in legal writing? Why is everyone okay with policies that only serve to help, you know, defend or get big corporations off. Why are we learning about this? Why is this course that we did about the Constitution? Why are we learning about terrnalius in such a fucking lacking in empathy or emotionality, Like like it's just a legal term and it was awful. I was just like, why is nobody else upset and enraged by this? And it just kind of hit everything, and I thought, oh, that's right, because you know, growing up, you just go, well, I'm I'm just going to make sure that I float will survive, or you know, swim here, and then you go, oh, I've been swimming like these white follows this whole time.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I wanted to ask.
Speaker 1: You spoke about privilege, you know, and I think that that's something that will be, you know, shocking to hear for some of our listeners that a black fellow is talking about the privilege they had, because a lot of the time we get painted with this disadvantage brush, or you know, we're talking about the challenges. You so openly speak about this privilege that you grew up with.
Speaker 3: What did that look like for you?
Speaker 1: And how have you used it to combat those our challenges as a community.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's one of these things where there's it's always a double sided coin, right, because I recognize just by one, I'm light skin, Two I grew up in a white suburb, so I spoke like white follows. And three my parents had a successful business, right, and so I could operate in that world without people questioning me too much, or at least I didn't question them questioning it because you just want to fit right. But the other side of that is that it came with a lot of negative or the disadvantages. Like I grew up in Brisbane, away from country. The suburb that we were in didn't have a lot of black ballers in it. Me and my brothers were the only black kids at the school. It was so whitewashed. If I ever questioned things, I was really the odd one out. It required me to have a lot of bravery that I didn't know how to inhibit at a young age. And it also meant that, yeah that I think I had to do a lot of the sort of cultural journey exploration.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and it's.
Speaker 4: After you've kind of tried to carve out your identity as a person and so then it's kind of tainted with this, Oh my god, am I doing this correctly? And that's kind of been what's plagued me through my career. I think it's just that identity struggle of I'm who I am, and I know that I don't need to earn my blackness, but I don't like that it failure thinks that my blackness is somehow undermined by what I've what I've been through, because actually, my mum was so passionate about making sure that we had access to everything because of all of the access that that my ancestors didn't have.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I wonder if you use that insight that you had all that privilege that you talk about, as you know, weapons within your comedy to make fun of white fellas.
Speaker 4: And here's the whole thing, right, It's like, I think the what made comedy really hard as well is that I remember kind of having this conversation with myself about like who's my audience, and going, you know what black Father's going to put me? Always I'm black, I know what it's like to be black. And then I thought the people who I really want to hit between the eyes or white follows, but to hid them between the eyes, you got to get them to watch. And so it was like it was a really hard line to walk of, like I don't want to whitewash myself, but at the same time, I'm not preaching to the converted, because I know that I can go out into the community and do whatever I want to do, like because I can, I know how to talk with black fallows. But as soon as you kind of make a decision almost in your head to try and attack the mainstream, it does feel like you've lost part of your strength as a black woman. But I don't know, it was all of that stuff, and it just you know, when it's acting and stuff like that, you can put your little sank on it, but when it's stand up, every word is part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like Maddie and I feel the same way in that sense, like we know, like we know whoere audience, our audience is. We're trying to like get you know, the white people to white the white people gathers the watchers to listen to the same like our podcast per se because as an example, it's like how do we not cater ourselves to that? But because like innately we're black and we're really proud and we're like, you know, we know who we are.
Speaker 2: But it's like, how do we get other people to listen like we get really yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Because you've got a normal Like I was laughing when I did the broadcast Bernado. I had to laugh because I was like, you know, it's real friendly to be black right now, like man no galic creative got their reusable bags and coals like which is deadly. I love from Nongala. But I had to laugh because I was like, but still, it's like people don't really know us or really listen, right, And so I said, look, you want to know how much they don't listen. He's a live broadcast on ABC, and I'm going to say and they got no rules and the crowd loved it. But people at home going swear, yeah, yeah, was.
Speaker 5: It Nookie that said boodoo on? Yes, Yes, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: Quoting and speaks. I'm like, oh gosh, that is amazing.
Speaker 2: That was that was life changing.
Speaker 5: Actually, the funny thing is, you know, I have a saying stuff and maybe this is also playing.
Speaker 2: I guess what you're talking is.
Speaker 5: Like I think if you don't laugh, you'll cry, and exactly, and I think, like, you know what, just laugh it off because you laugh, you won't cry.
Speaker 1: My over here is the full spectrum of emotion. She loves to laugh and cry the same time.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think my dad's y at.
Speaker 5: The moment, and we we I think we quote Uncle Ernie didn't go he says something about like when you start laughing at yourself, that's when the healing can start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's so true. And like my family, Like my family, they're all weirdos. We always laugh at difficult but like the harder.
Speaker 2: Ay, even normal normal does not exist. I hate this thing of like.
Speaker 5: Being normal, Like I'm it's better.
Speaker 4: Than a normal person.
Speaker 1: Who who Yeah, yeah, I mean, I just love when black follows are together. Like I had an experience where, you know, I was at an award show and I was feeling quite uncomfortable. I was feeling like a bit out of place. This was not long ago, this a couple of weeks ago, and I was feeling like, oh, I really didn't want to be there. But as soon as I found my crew, I laughed. It was you know, the poorer. It was Barker and Barker's Barker's mob who were there. We laughed for a good hour straight. I left there just on a high, like I had taken drugs and black Joy for me, like filled my cup immediately and I could, like I swear, I could live off that feeling for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Like you mentioned their uncle Ernie Dingo, funniest moment I went to the Logis a couple of years ago, that infamous annoying interview that we had was up with You, Maddie, where I was like I found I didn't know I was being recorded. I was like, I just suck this dress it just a bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that was me.
Speaker 4: When I was feeling really like out of place.
Speaker 3: And it was on the Gold Coast, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, Gold Coast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then we're in the we're in the hotel like waiting to they got the limos to pick us up and that, and we're in the hotel and I'm kind of standing there alone and Uncle Ernie walks downstairs. Hey, my face into one corner and we were all just laughing. And then when we rock up there it was me, Tony Armstrong, Dead Maulman, and I think it was just us through somebody else anyway. And they had these little golden golf carts with people all dressed up in golf and we were like, we're getting in one of them, and everybody else was ignoring them, and I was like, we're getting in one of them. So we jump in and we're waving up the window going goodbybe plans and then we realised the golf cart drove us for forty meters and it was the most embarrassed. It was like as slow as everybody walking.
Speaker 3: That is myiconic.
Speaker 1: You know when you do see a black collow in that space or in the in this industry, there is that safe element of all look, let's band together. You know, we can protect each other in this vibe, in this moment. But for you in comedy, it must be even worse. I mean, as a First Nations woman in comedy, does it, you know, get any more isolating than that? Well?
Speaker 4: I mean like I did a lot of touring with the Aboriginal comedy All Stars, which was my favorite thing in the whole world. Like there's a comedian and Crepinery and Andy Saunders as well, and their real mentors to me just uncles who who just you know. I always had this fear that I wasn't I'd left it too late to fit or something because of how I grew up or something. And they were like, no, you don't know. And your blackness is like that's in your blood, that's in your skin, your bones, your spirit, like your old people give you that and so they kind of, you know, really celebrated the diversity that we had within the group, and that was something I was really passionate about as well. It's like, we have a lot of MOB who do grow up in metropolitan areas feeling disconnected and it doesn't undermine our blackness and who we are and the ways we represent MOB because it's not our fault that policies. You know that there was choices that had to be you know, I mean, you guys get it. But I got to deal with the All Stars a lot, and that was I felt the best, you know, But when it came to touring with like White Fellows or I had this really funny moment. Man, it was so cringe. I was doing Melbourne Comedy Festival road show and we were going to CALGOOLEI which has that famous big super pit or whatever. Yeah, I have a big hole, yeah, the big hole. And so everyone goes, oh, we've been to the biggest hole in Australia and also the super pit. I said, right as a joke, I said, yeah, We've been to the biggest hole with the biggest hole, and everyone thought that I was calling out to a manager a slut and I was like guys.
Speaker 2: My felabanta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so look that everyone gave me and I was like, no, I'm not being disrespectful, I'm calling yeah.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 2: If the moon fans not getting IM jagging.
Speaker 4: The other thing I think as well, though, right, is like it would always happen. I'd get really nervous in certain places because we know when. And I was trying to explain to somebody the other day, I was like, it's a sixth sense that people go, oh, I didn't notice anything. You go. We know the difference between a look that is suspicious and a look that is just seize you as normal. And there are places that you go to that are racist towns. And we know because all the black fellas aren't in the city center. And we know because it almost feels really segregated, right, And yes, there's a lot of rural towns in Australia like that. And when you go out and gigging them, as soon as you enter the town, you're taking note of everything and then you go, what's the audience look like if they're white and conservatives? You know that when you stand up and I always used to open with your name and name stare from a proud Aboriginal woman. The amount of times that I could see eyes rolling or here we go. How do you feel confident and deliver jokes? And I know that my jokes were good or that they would work, but the level of anxiety, fear and nervousness that I would have before a gig, I knew I couldn't share with the other like, you know, non Indigenous people in the lineup. It was really hard because you don't want to sound like that person who's always saying, oh, it's about race or something, and it's like a lot of the time it fucking is, but you feel scared to tell somebody what you're really thinking because you just hear that, oh, it's not about race, and you're like, you wouldn't know because you do.
Speaker 3: Not know what that feels like.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like there's it's being an Aboriginal person. I feel like there's the you know, I always say the thing I'm most proud of is being a black fellow. You know, there's no other feeling in the world that I can explain or that I felt that feels like that pride, you know, like there's just nothing to replace it. But then at the other end of that spectrum, there is that feeling of always feeling like your identity will be you know, questioned or you're not even questioned, but there will there will always be a level to a conversation or a perception based on your identity. If you are a black fire, it's like you know that it's a double end sword really but you know, but I also think that there's people like you who you know, making waves in the industry for us that are changing those perceptions and perspectives. I feel like, you know every time, but it is you know, I saw you in that Netflix film with Delta Gudroom. You know, like you know, it's like seeing people cut through to the mainstream and be on screen with people who have a very captive Caucasian mainstream audience, you know, and but able to show a different side to our community. I think that that's a lot of the you know, to speak about Natok but the fire, keep the fire burning, you know, that's what my fire is. It's about changing that perception or perspective on our community.
Speaker 4: I think it's that thing, right, and there's so many different ways that we we can do things, and you know, something really passionate about them passionate about the moment is this idea of like diversity within diversity, we're not all telling the same stories, and we also don't believe in advocating in the same way. My way have always been be in the game to change the game. And unfortunately, as black people and new followers will agree with this. But to be considered good, we have to be so fucking exceptional, do you know what I mean? Like, you know, I was saying somebody the other day, I said, when it comes to you know, like you I was talking to another black comedian and said, don't aim to be the best blackfellow. The funniest black father is that aim to be the best full stop. Because we can be loved by mob regardless. But for us to like change people's minds, we have to be better than what their best is. And that is so much pressure, but it is powerful. And yeah, you know, like theres a lot of people who go, no, fuck them, fuck the game right off. Yeah, play our own race, And I get that and I respect it, but it's just, you know, it's it's I guess it's not the way that I have sort of faced the world. Yeah, I get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also think that you know that our community.
Speaker 1: Is a small part of you know, an audience, you know what I mean in terms of percentage wise. You know, we have a whole world out there that you know, can learn and be educated from having an interaction with us, rather than, as you said earlier on in the episode, you know, preaching to the converted. Sometimes when I'm on an ITV and I'm showing my you know, black joy through entertainment, I think I hope white fellows are watching this because it does show a different side to our community because as much as it is for Black fellows as well, especially in IV, you know, for us to get that injection of community and inspiration and entertainment through that channel. I also feel like sometimes when you're preaching to the converter that like an empty churl sign by some sometimes, you know, like it's like just echoing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that.
Speaker 5: Dad and I had a conversation at the Melbourne Markets yesterday and we were just talking as strangers and this there was a couple before us that said to Dad like, oh is that Brook from the Bachelorette?
Speaker 2: Are you her? Dad? Et cetera.
Speaker 5: And then there's another couple that came and then this lady was just like, oh no, we loved you and you were our favorite, like we wanted to be rooting for you, and we just thought you were a very genuine person and blah blah blah, like nothing about like my identity, like nothing about who I was, but like being a good person. And I think that's also the thing, is like yes, you like, you know, showing up black, you're proud and all this stuff, but like just showing up as a good person as well.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like.
Speaker 5: I just was like, okay, like if that changes someone's perception, and that's just something like so small, and it's just like and then they find out later they're like, oh she's black, Like then they're like oh cool, like moving you know, moving on, Like I don't know. This's just something about like you know, making time, changing people's perceptions, but just at the core, being a deadly good person, you know, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, that's the thing. That's what this is what black fellows know. We know because man, we're the best.
Speaker 2: We've got good morals, we've got good values.
Speaker 4: And respect and love love you know the amount that we say love. You'll meet somebody one one time ago all right, love you on by like realtious part.
Speaker 2: We're not afraid to say it. This is the thing white people afraid to say the L word. And I'm like, rah, it's just like love.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know what your interpretational language change of what love means in your mom, but like you know, love is just so universal and I'm like, why this mom so scared to say it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I say love you every day the phone.
Speaker 1: Last night I was on a voice a video called to my brothers and at the end, we always say love you.
Speaker 3: And my partner is.
Speaker 1: Surprised by that because he's one once his dad you know, never used that term ever with his family. But also his siblings never say to each other either, So it's like crazy in black fellow family units, that word is you know, used so often, and it feels warm, it feels yeah.
Speaker 5: It feels connected like it it's like a string between you and that person.
Speaker 2: Like that's yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like that's how I see it, Like it's yeah, yeah, I've never been afraid to use the word.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll die.
Speaker 5: It would be my last word that I say.
Speaker 4: I had to laugh, right. I used to have this job like before I started doing anything that I'm doing now, I used to work for this social media company, like doing social media stuff and like just posting shit. But we were in Woolen Gabber in Brisbane and the first I started working there, they said, oh, we'll go for lunch, you know, to welcome you. And it's been walking down the street there's black follows everywhere. I'm going, hey, younk, hey, you know it waits everyone like like everyone that's how Yeah. We pull up to the fucking to lunch and they go, wow, how do you know everyone here? And I was like, I don't know anyone, Like you don't feel family. They're black follows and they're like and what does that mean? And I was like, you just say hello and recognize each other. You just acknowledge each other. Yeah, it was really beautiful. You're like, yeah, that's because you follow has got no feelings. No, you don't know trying to another fucker.
Speaker 1: Finally, I love the black experience, like it's so unique to our community.
Speaker 3: It's like you walk through as you say, you walk.
Speaker 1: Through a town and say hey aren't hey aren't and then like white fellows be like are you related to everyone?
Speaker 5: And calling your uncles and Auntie's mom and dad. Did you guys do that as well? Like your aunties were just your other mom, like another mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like my aunties call me son, yeah, son son. But before we go, Steph though, I wanted to talk about the book. Yes, tell us about the book. What is you know what's in it? But what has it been like.
Speaker 3: You know, writing it?
Speaker 4: So the book is pretty much exactly about this stuff. It's I guess to kind of put myself in the brain of me as a teenager, I guess, and I just thought about all of those lessons, like I was saying before, when you become really aware of how much you need to decolonize your own self. But I gave that to my character in her final year of school, where she's deciding what she wants to do in the world. She wants to change the world, and then is suddenly really confronted with the fact that her world or the world doesn't see her the same way that it sees her peers in a way that she's she's never really allowed herself or wanted to ever notice before. And the kind of the catalyst for it is that they kinship adopt her cousin, which is a huge thing that we never talk about. Kinship adoption is I don't think it doesn't touch a black life, like you know what I mean, Like there are so many black fellows who cousin brother, you know what I mean, or cousins to that kind of thing, and it's I think it's a really beautiful part of our community and one that, yeah, that we don't talk about a lot. And so I kind of wanted to have this, you know, this catalyst of this taking in a cousin who's lived that opposite life kind of super connected but without the same opportunities versus disconnected with all the opportunities, and recognizing the things they have in common and maybe don't and the identity issues and yeah, and so she sort of becomes the girl. It's a fictional young adult book, and she suddenly becomes very aware of kind of oh, why do you see him differently? Oh my god, actually you've all seen me differently as well, and kind of having to confront the way that the city systems, you know, kind of see her different. Just she has to confront all of those things. She becomes incredibly rebellious. She has her first love. You know, she goes off the rails bit and then kind of has to reconcile how do I want to move forward as a proud black woman? And she goes on like a cultural journey and yeah, it's just about being a teenager trying to fit in while you're also trying to figure out exactly who the fuck you are.
Speaker 5: So is this written for teenage? There's this like teenage fiction.
Speaker 4: It's a coming of age story. Yeah, young like it's ya, but I think it kind of can can cross a few different demographics. But I think the whole thing is I just really wanted to show I remember, like it's you know, it always happens like, oh, it's not that bad. Oh, so somebody accidentally said, can you do a welcome to country instead of an acknowledgment of country? And you're like, no, it is that bad because it's the death of a thousand cuts. Yeah, it's the undermining of your identity every single day, every single hour, with each new person that you meet, and it does change who you are and how you perceive yourself and how you feel perceived. And so I wanted to kind of show the nuance and the growing up trying to break the shackles of either well that you felt that you had to walk between and just go I'm both in neither or like I'm both, and.
Speaker 2: You're both accepting both and living.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, which I think young people like I work with them and I see them go through that journey, and you being able to articulate a story that they would see themselves so much in is just so powerful. Like we always say saying that you can't be what you can't see, and so you've got to read and read and see other people's stories as well, because that can help you on your journey. And I think that's just amazing stuff. I'm so excited. What's the book called, Sorry, it's called The Skin.
Speaker 4: I'm in the Skin.
Speaker 3: I am for pre order at the end of the month, the right all preorder.
Speaker 4: It comes out on the first of August. It's available for pre order right now.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 2: That's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's you know, it's I'm actually really proud of it. When I've got a cultural editor to go through it for me, because I never want to do the wrong thing. And she read it and she was like, see if I feel so seen? And I was like, oh you know so long. I hope that it can make a make a bit of a difference. And I hope more than anything that not even the kids read it. I hope that teachers read it because it's about that.
Speaker 5: Well, they put it in schools and they can, like you know, read it. The non indigenous kids can read it as well, like you know, and understand what these feelings, these feelings are like.
Speaker 4: And it touches on some really heavy shit too.
Speaker 5: So good good we need to be It's truth telling. So will you be doing a tour a book tour as well the release?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, okay, So it's available for pre order.
Speaker 2: It's out in August the first of August. You're doing a tour as well?
Speaker 1: Yes, and a TV series and a feature film next imagine.
Speaker 4: I want to be in that.
Speaker 2: Thanks, okay, I put my hand up. I'll play the friend of the friend.
Speaker 4: No, no, you play you get some botox now you'd be ready.
Speaker 2: I done.
Speaker 4: Don't even know. Your age could be fourteen or forty, I wouldn't have Thank you, thank you, black Dunk Crack.
Speaker 3: But do drop soon.
Speaker 1: Oh Step, We've absolutely loved having you on. Thank you for taking the time to be on our podcast. We are a big fan, so this is you know, surreal for us.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You follows are the best and you look the most. You're disgusting to look at.
Speaker 3: We've got a face for radio, don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's why we got that botox.
Speaker 3: You know, Black talks that we.
Speaker 2: Gotta look at ourselves all the time. I love you, love.
Speaker 3: You to love you too. That what steps will make sure you gon and support her?
Speaker 1: You know, get that book, go and see whenever you get to get a chance, watch the show she's in.
Speaker 3: She's an absolute you know stella talent.
Speaker 5: And if you want us to cover anything on the pod on next episode, let us.
Speaker 2: Know, reach out via our socials.
Speaker 5: My handle is that brooked up learn and Maddie's is handled is that it's Maddie Mills and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: You can't handle the truth.