Speaker 1: Apodjay Production. Welcome to the She Rises Podcast. I'm Ashy and I'm Tiana. This podcast is.
Speaker 2: About female empowerment and encouraging you to be your biggest, boldest, and most authentic version of yourself.
Speaker 1: We help you shed the shame, grow to a new level. We're gonna laugh, cry, and talk about the topics everyone else is too afraid to talk about.
Speaker 3: Get ready for your next level of self.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to another episode of she Rises. We've got Ashally here with me Tiana. For anyone who doesn't know us, welcome to she Rises. We talk all things personal development, having hard conversations and a lot of conversations that people don't enjoy, kind of diving deep into think personal development, growth forward focused and actually moving the needle forward in your life.
Speaker 3: So today's episode is going to be all.
Speaker 2: About understanding like your coping mechanisms and understanding if there's any cheeky ones that are playing out in your life right now and ones that have actually showed up for us, and how we choose to move through them. So you might learn something about yourself in this episode. But before we get stuck into it, and we'll do a share of the week.
Speaker 3: What's your what's.
Speaker 1: Actually mine is all shameless plug, but my hair masks that I use every week. Now, I've been getting so many conflimenents with my hair lately, and I am so consistent with a hair mask. I do it every single week, once a week, sometimes twice week if I'm going to wash my hair twice week, but normally it's only once. But yeah, it's the high Dowa hair mask. Comes in all the different fragrances, but it's just so nourishing. My hair has never felt healthier, stronger. When I was blonde, my ends would grow out, but they'd be all split and dry and thin, whereas my ends are just as thick as the rest of my hair. Yeah, and my hair is just absolutely thriving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is very long now, she's thriving.
Speaker 1: He's getting so good. Yeah, that's my little plug, A high Doay hair mask. If you want healthier, shinier, stronger hair.
Speaker 2: Have used it before, can confirm ver nad is very good, very good. Mine is actually a TV series that actually recommended. It's called I Will Find You So Good. You're going to sit on the edge of your seat while you're watching it. It's very short and sweet. It's only about eight episodes, so yeah, you will be done in about a week or maybe if you bringe to I feel like, yeah, it depends what you're like. H I don't want to give it away, but honestly, you should go watch it. It will spark your interest in a way where you have to really think about what's happening next and who the character is and how the story is going to unfold. And I don't no, you have to be very locked in you want to be. It sucks you in from the very beginning. So yeah, that was really cool. I don't normally watch things like that because I try to stay away from anything that might be a little bit scary, but this one is not, Like, it's not gory, it's not mystery. Yeah, mystery is figuring it out a little bit, crying a little bit mystery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a good one. I really enjoyed that. I was so glad you watched it. Well written storyline, yeah, that's for sure. Harland Corbyn, Yes, his director, he's got like twelve one Netflix are really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta watch to the next ones.
Speaker 1: Yes. Alright, So today we're talking about coping mechanisms, which I think we all have. There's so many. So what is a coping mechanism. It's something that you use to cope with your uncomfortable emotions or feelings. So we'll list off a few and then we'll talk about our personal ones. I've been showing up recently because I definitely have one. But it could be you cope with food, you cope with alcohol, sex, drugs, porn, scrolling dope mean hits, relationships, just different distractions, spending money over exercising, some people binging TV series, Mine is shopping. I love this as a distraction. Definitely not healthy, not necessary. Could spend my money on other more productive things. And it's not even like expensive designer things. It'll just be like scrolling a clothing website because I rather do that than scroll like TikTok or Instagram and just spend them. Now I don't even know what I'm consuming. I really enjoy shopping that dope mean Hit and the colors and how I'm going to style things, and even going to a shopping center. Yeah, because it's like a different environment. It changes my state. But it's unnecessary spending and I'm aware of it sometimes, Like sometimes I'll go to the car and go to pay, and then have that conversation with myself, like do you actually really need or want these? Or is that you're trying to avoid something that's coming up right now? And then sometimes if I'm trying to avoid, I will literally have that conversation myself and go, I'm going to do this for fifteen minutes because I'm not quite ready to sit with it yet, and I'm going to park it to the side because I'm not ready and I will address it soon, but right now I don't want to. I'll like allow myself that time and space, like I talk about having the pity party, allow myself to shop for a bit, yeah, and sometimes don't actually purchase, but enjoy the process, the windows shoving, And then sometimes I do when the order comes, I'm like, wow, you didn't need that. I absolutely did not need that, funny, but it's so pretty.
Speaker 2: And I will look good wearing it. What I do mine is I just want to like stay before and I have a good relationship with.
Speaker 1: Food, very healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I find that sometimes I spend money on food when I'm avoiding feeling something. So it's not like I'm going out and binging and like you know, eating heaps of like shit food and make myself like a chocolate or like I'm not doing I'm doing.
Speaker 3: It within reason.
Speaker 2: It's nothing eating, no, but it's like I go out and eat a meal that like I really I want to eat, but it's like it gets to a point where I know it's unproductive. I'm doing it all the time I have a bad feeling, you know, or I like have something come up for me, and I'm like, you know, obviously I'm really busy and doing all the things, and I'm like, you know, maybe I'll just go like fucking get a steak or something and like feel the dopamine from eating that meal instead of addressing the thing that's coming up for me. And so I notice myself like when I really can see it in my like weekly habits, like if I do it like a couple of times, I'm like, oh, Okay, something is coming up for me that I'm not addressing. Yeah, but I'm choosing to go buy food instead and like eat out instead of you know, eating the food I have at home that I know that I have at home because I want to make myself feel better and like going out and enjoying a meal is like almost like a love language for me. I love doing it with the people that I love. Yeah, I also love doing it by myself. Yeah, it's like my quiet time. I can like go sit by myself and eat a meal. And like some would say that that's productive, but also when i know that I'm doing it excessively, I'm like, Okay, that's not productive. And if I know I'm doing it to avoid emotions, that's also not productive.
Speaker 1: In a previous episode, I loved how you spoke about giving up our whole and that was a coping mechanism for you to avoid the feelings of the sexual shame. I'm guessing was that way harder to give up that coping mechanism. If you think about now with food and you have that conscious thought of like I'm going to go eat, do you have control of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Whereas with the alcohol, was that I'm guessing it would be a lot harder.
Speaker 2: The alcohol is a lot harder and it took out much longer, whereas now, like even just talking about it, I'm like, I'm aware that I do it, yeah, so that I enjoy doing it, yes, you know, because i know I'm not binging or anything.
Speaker 3: Like that, so I know it's not negatively impacting me, but like this is a money leak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, money, I'm like, oh, do I need to spend that?
Speaker 2: Probably not Emma going to Yes, yeah, but I'm like I could clean it up for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, same with me, Yeah, clean it up. It's just awareness. It's like there's no shame here. But once again, we want to have this conversation because maybe you're not aware of what your coping mechanism is. And it's the same with you know, a you that person that says I don't have time to excite, that I have time to meditate, but you're scrolling for an hour every night. That is you distracting yourself from what's really going on or the hard thing that you know you need to do, or the hard conversation you've got to have, or what you've got to sit with, or what you've got to clean up, whatever it is. That's a way that you cope or avoid doing something or feeling something hard.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to this and you're like, oh my gosh, yes, I know that I'm currently doing that, but I'm not doing anything about it, it's also okay, Like it's okay, to have something come up for you that you're not yet ready to face and you feel overwhelmed by. I think every single one of us, us, both included and you listening to, is going through something that you probably don't talk about, that no one knows about, that is kind of sitting on your chest, or that is a previous thing that you've been holding and caring for a really long time, and it's fucking uncomfortable. Can we just acknowledge and just be okay that we're going to feel really hard things sometimes, and we do things because we want to feel better, but sometimes it's unproductive because we're doing it to feel better in the moment instead of doing it to feel better in the long term. Yeah, that's the conversation you get to have with yourself. Like even with me with the drinking, the conversation I had with myself was do I want to still be doing this five years from now? I was eighteen years old and I was surrounded by people who are in their forties, still getting on it, still drinking, still partying all weekend, and I'm like, do I really want that for myself?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so it's like that hard conversation with Hey, I love you, I see you. I know you're like struggling and I know you're going through something, but it's also okay to feel it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we really get scared of, is like actually feeling what's underneath all of these coping mechanisms.
Speaker 1: It's going to come up. Yeah, same with like sitting still. Hey, we're scared of what's going to come up or what we're going to realize or decide. Even us, we've been like having conversations like big decisions we've got to make, but we know if we sit still for a moment, it'll probably come up. But sometimes we're like, oh, I'm not quite ready to go there yet. It's going to give myself a bit more time, and.
Speaker 3: Like, come on, all of our lives are so busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really is so busy.
Speaker 2: Like we do not have a like I mean, most people if feeling their time or they are so busy with the responsibility that they have minimal time and then they fill their time with other things. So the little micromembers that they do have, they're not sitting in stillness. Yeah, you just get used to that lifestyle of being busy on the go all the time that you're like, fuck, I don't even remember what it feels like to.
Speaker 3: Sit in my own thoughts. Yeah, and then you do, and then you get scared of it and you run away from it because it's overloading and it like bombards you.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I think it adds up over time, and there's always consequences to her actions and decisions. I had a girlfriend once who her coping mechanism was turning to men. Yeah, she was just sleeping around all the time, just wanted the validation, wanted the comfort, wanted the attention, and yeah, it was like fun and games for a while, but then she kind of got addicted to that and she felt so worthless by herself and felt like she needed it. And then she started to feel used by these men. But she was the one that kept putting herself out there and allowing it. And I remember when she got to a point where she's like, Wow, this is a me problem. I actually need to clean up my own behavior if I want to stop feeling used and feeling like a piece of meat and feeling like that's all they want me for. I'm allowing it and literally allowing it because I get something out.
Speaker 3: Of this serial data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's cool. It's like, once again, no shame here, but just hopefully this conversation sparks some curiosity within yourself, like do I have a coping mechanism? Is it healthy? Is it productive? Is it actually okay right now to cope like that? But then what's going to be the long term impact? And do I feel strong enough to break that? Or is this an addiction? Yes?
Speaker 3: And that's cool distinction to make.
Speaker 2: Like even the ones that we mentioned were quite lighthearted, cuting mechanisms, right, but if we talk about something like a little bit deeper, like what with the drinking, that was a much more challenging one. And that's like when it's the question of okay, this is bordering addiction. Is this detrimental to me versus you know, like say like a couple months ago, I can't even remember what I was going through, but just feeling quite heavy emotionally and being like I am aware that I'm scrolling for an hour before bed at night, Like I'm aware that I'm doing that, and it's like, am I shameful about it? No?
Speaker 3: Do I know it's unproductive?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Can I do something else in my time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and then in that season it was like almost like that will always getting me through. It was like this little dopamine hit of like I love conspiracy theories, so I'm like sitting in bed and I'm like, what's the next conspiracy? And I'm over here like, yes, I know, my emotions feel really heavy right now, but I want to watch this video.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's like not a necessarily unproductive thing. Yeah, if I do it for a long period of time, hell yeah, it'll be unproductive and not good for my mental state. It's I'm avoiding myself. But like I think, sometimes we do things to help us get through the season that we're in, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, so long as you don't continue to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had a girlfriend once too, ages ago, and her partner used to wink off a lot because that was his stress relief. Yeah. I remember at the start like, oh, yeah, it does it quite a bit, but it ah. But then as time went on, it's like he doesn't want to have sex with me. Now, he can't come when we're intimate because he's using his hands so much. They call it. I learned this from her. They call it death grip. Yes, I've heard of that. Yeah, but because the grip on the hand is so so tight, so tight on their cock that then like a pussy doesn't feel great and they can't get off on it. So then she started to feel like I'm not good enough, You're not turned on by me, and it became a real problem, and he was legitimately addicted to pawn and addicted to getting off multiple times a day, so it impacted their relationship and they broke up, like fuck the relationship. So you can see how an unhealthy coping mechanism can have huge consequences if you're not aware of it and you don't catch it early enough. Yeah, yeah, don't do the work to break it, which would be really uncomfortable. But that was really sad to see because they had a great relationship and they loved each other so much. But she's like, I can't keep coming second best to his hand. I'm missing out intimacy, connection and feeling desired and wanted, like this isn't it for me? Yeah, it's really sad. It's tough.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of women struggle with that because of porn and yeah, of men's relationship to it women too, Yeah, sure not men are the only ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in a forum on Facebook. It's like a relationship for them people all around the world. I think it's an American one. I didn't know how I got in there, but I would say like ninety percent of the posts in there are around porn. Wow, huge porn and affairs. Yeah wow. Yeah, it's really sad.
Speaker 2: Men too, Like obviously we had a conversation similar in another previous episode around how men it's not normalized for them to talk about things, yes, whereas like women, we lean on each other.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 2: We have support, We've got our sisters, we've got you know, we can Yeah, we can load, unload, we process through things together.
Speaker 3: Men not so much.
Speaker 2: Only now in these generations has it become more normalized and the younger generations for men to want for community, need for community, and actually start to like have like a brotherhood. So I think it's really special. But also it doesn't take away the bit of a pandemic of men not having anywhere to turn to.
Speaker 1: So true, they say women's nervous system instantly like lowers our stress levels, lower our quarters or lowers as soon as we start unloading to another female feel that. Yeah, I instantly feel like just I can take a breath, you know, I don't have to carry that alone. Yeah it was heavy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a powerful thing to be able to like talk through things. But men don't have that, and maybe that is their outlet, especially because they're predisposed to being more visual beings and predominantly more physical in terms of their desires.
Speaker 1: That makes sense from what I read too. It just sets out such an unrealistic expectation for the bedroom, what it's meant to be like when they watch porn clips. It's just not like that in reality.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I experienced that my last relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not nice.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between, you know, being intimate with your partner and wanting to connect versus wanting to perform. And I've been with men who want to connect emotionally, mentally and in terms of like intimacy versus the man who wants to perform, Like what a porn video would look like.
Speaker 1: When you say performers, it like the noises, actions and positions like, what do you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the way that it's done. It's the lead up it's the energy. It's more rough. It's not like he's taking care of me.
Speaker 1: The experience. Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Bit of the energy of like, oh, you're a slut and I'm like, right, this is an exchange kind of thing. It's more of like I'm performing in terms of it's more rough, it's more audible, it's like put on a sound for me instead of like actually enjoying it and connecting. And it's not as genuine softening that it's performative, which is not genuine. So I think the difference even between that too, of being with somebody now who doesn't watch porn doesn't have an issue with that, versus somebody else in the past who has had an issue with that. How different intimacy actually is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what you've described as worlds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: And on the receiving end, as a woman, you can feel when a man is watching porn because he's performative. In my experience. Yeah, that's not true for everybody, but in my experience, I can tell.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, gosh, what a difference. Yeah. Anyways, that's a whole nother subject. But once again, it is a coping mechanism for a lot of people. You know, so once again reflect where is it showing up for you? What are your coping mechanisms, are they healthy? Are they serving you? What's the long term impact? What are the consequences of you continuing this is impacting your relationships with yourself, with food, with your body, with help with your partner, and really like check in and be really honest with yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think a big one is food.
Speaker 1: So big A lot of clients to come.
Speaker 2: To me with challenges like that of emotional eating. I've been guilty of it before in the past. I still do it sometimes. How to do Yeah, Like sometimes they come back, they slip in and you're like, oh when then you notice it, then you can catch it.
Speaker 1: I'll go into my pantry and then I'll realize I'm in I'm like, you're not even hungry. But it's weird for that moment that if you have chocolate that you literally feel better for the moment. It's so strange. You can see why it's so addictive. And sometimes I'll say to Steve, I'm like, I literally could smash a block of cabri because I just feel so stressed. That distracts me for the moment and Sometimes I'm like, I'll allow it. Other times I'm like, this can't be a regular habit. That's not good for my health.
Speaker 2: At twenty.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, go get a clean treat girl, and I eat ten of them.
Speaker 2: No, speaking of the Dbai ones are really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dbui chocolate ones. Oh all right, guys, I hope you enjoyed that episode and you take some time to reflect. We always want to bring up the hard conversations and the things that you might not be facing yourself and just give you permission to actually go there because it's only going to benefit you and your relationship with connection to yourself and your results in all areas of your life at it might be impacting.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and think about it as well, like this, like we have what five months left of the young Well, it's like a turning point, this point in the year where everything that you may have been allowing up until now that's okay. Yeah, but do you want to continue doing that moving forward?
Speaker 1: You want to get to the end of the year and look back and go, wove just another whole year of those same habits. Yeah, And I'm in the same spot and I'm the only person to blame, Like, what does this next five months go to look like for you to get to decide.
Speaker 2: Clearly, that's exactly the conversations that we're having in ourselves, for our lives, for our friendship, for what we're doing moving forward as well. We want to invite that here for you.
Speaker 1: Definitely, thanks for joining us and we will see you on Wednesday. Bye bye,