Speaker 1: Live from Blonde Sester.
Speaker 2: This is Paul Murray Live our town.
Speaker 1: How good Blonceston. Fire it up tonight.
Speaker 3: We are in the north of Tasmania tonight for our town. This is a spectacular location. We have had a magnificent weekend. The weather has been just absolutely top notch. The people, as you will meet later tonight, are just spectacular. As we always say, at least once a month go see Australia because it's the best holiday.
Speaker 1: You'll ever have.
Speaker 3: Come and see Lonnie. They're the best people that you can come and hang out with. It is if you're loving Instagram, you can fill your entire feed with beautiful pictures here and you can meet some wonderful people while you are here. I can tell you that we are going to show you a little bit more of some of the beautiful natural sites around here around Tipmas of course, is the Olympic champion from Tasmania. I'll have a chat to her a little bit later. And the Bogs Brewery just down the road. Have we sampled bobes that all my friends?
Speaker 1: I thought so? How many have sampled it in the past fifteen minutes? Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: Enough all right? How many are planning to in the next fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Hey, there we go, all right, excellent, don't worry.
Speaker 3: It's all on Andrew Bolt. So you can drink as much as you want. Okay, that's all right, He'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a look at how they make it, where they make it, and the good people that are behind all of that. But first let's talk about the news that is around today. And I'm going to say something that normally I wouldn't say, but I would gladly say to you, the good people of Long Syst not a lot happened today, so we can focus on some good news for a moment or two here. I know that there's a protest stuff. We'll deal with that, of course once we get back to the man Cave tomorrow. But as you know, the King and Queen are bouncing around. They are doing so in Sydney right now. And who cares about your view on this?
Speaker 1: This is just nice, all right. Australia had a nice day today. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: It's not as exciting as the sky's falling in. It's that we had a nice day today. They went to church in Sydney, they went to the New South Wales Parliament as well, and people turned up. They turned up in their thousands and they had a good day. And by extension, these pictures go around the world. Beautiful weather, nice people, a nice day to feel Australia.
Speaker 1: There's a special moment.
Speaker 3: We just said on the Great Vine, ran down on the bus and we did not expect to be shaking hands with the King.
Speaker 4: We're both like shaking now and had.
Speaker 5: A conversation with them, quite a conversation. Welcomed into Australia, said how well he's doing, and he was just like as a fabulous and it's just lovely to be here in such a warm welcome.
Speaker 2: Really fine and hype exciting.
Speaker 6: We were just walking fast and we sold a cloud and we just started a step back and quite excited to see the king.
Speaker 7: Not because a very cain for a sense, very nice to meet him.
Speaker 3: You see what I like about what you just saw, Their modern Australia. Right, it doesn't matter where and how long and all the rest of it, but people who enjoyed a good moment, same as the good people over in Perth raising millions of dollars when it comes to their telephone as well. We are a good people. We deserve to take a moment or two to enjoy a good day. Today was a very good day in terms of what they were doing, and of course, his Majesty a couple of moments caught on microphones today about what he was doing.
Speaker 8: Having been with you for your one hundred and fiftieth anniversary, I am delighted and proud to be able to return to the Parliament of New South Wales in order to celebrate the occasion of your base and tinery.
Speaker 3: Now, I always think about this when you know royal visits or prime ministers or presidents come to Australia. Do you think that there's any chance that you know, there's a secret tour that none of us see, where they just go up the Cross for the rest of the night, no cameras. Who knows what's really happening behind the scenes. When Camilla and Charles are off, they're just having a dinner party in some random person's house, which could be the reason why my mum told us we always had to have a clean room.
Speaker 1: I don't know, just in case.
Speaker 3: Maybe this happened once that the Queen was going to turn up, and maybe that's what's happening tonight.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: Who knows, But anyway, I love you, Mum. I'm glad you're watching all right. As for what they did today in the plans for the next little while, he is our reporters.
Speaker 7: Royal watchers lined Saint Thomas Anglican Church ahead of their Majesty's first public appearance at a Sunday service. It's the first time they've seen the royals in Australia as King and Queen. There were smiles from young and old people, waved flags and presented their majesties with flowers.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for the reply.
Speaker 7: They were greeted by dignitaries and carried out formalities.
Speaker 3: But today a star was born. She is four years old and her name is Gabriella. Have a look at her full curtsy for the Queen and the King. She apparently had been practicing this for days and days. Look at that little kiddy in the bottom. Ride a good.
Speaker 1: Right, Australia had a good day to DAYE. Australia had a good dyna DAYE.
Speaker 3: What a gorgeous little girl. Lots of other people who turned up again. Lots of great photos that are up. You can see all this at sky News dot com dot Au were on lots of other places as people had the chance to meet a king that maybe they had seen before as a prince, but kids having that once in a lifetime moment.
Speaker 1: I thought it was awesome. I really do. Now.
Speaker 3: As for the usual types, they say it's time to flick the king, just wait, really, regardless of your opinion on this stuff, I think the majority of Australians are not interested in a referendum on anything anytime soon. Right, we had a big one last year, four hundred and fifty million dollars. You're going to have to wait. Oh, but that didn't stop the Turnbull Times. King Charles is not the adversary of an Australian republic. But the time has come, hasn't it for the crown to go whatever? Over In the Financial Review they're editorializing that it's time for an Australian republic. Look, if it happens, it happens. But till then, put us sock at it and just let people like Gabriella have a lovely day in Australia. All right, Let's let them do it now. Lots of people got bugged over by one of the banks this weekend. No giant surprise, but become off bank if of course the nation's largest, and the glitch and I'd love.
Speaker 1: And they get to say glitch. Right, If the purpose of your business is to.
Speaker 3: Be able to have people have access to your money and have enough of that money left over that you can access the money, then you didn't really.
Speaker 1: Do your job this weekend. It's not a glitch.
Speaker 3: Okay, A glitch would be me randomly talking about how great the greens are. But other than that, and that gleachain happening people that gleech ain't happening anytime soon, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, so they had a change in there.
Speaker 3: They're systems that meant that people were being double billed for things that they had already paid for. His Channel seven explaining exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: An alarming morning message alerting customers to a banking blunder. Transactions doubled, leaving them out of pocket, and accounts emptied.
Speaker 9: It said that it was overdrawn my account and therefore I did pay Combank back.
Speaker 2: Recent payments charged by Commonwealth Bank a second time at a time when every dollar counts.
Speaker 3: Unsurprisingly, the pr people from the Comonwealth Bank were out and about and they were saying, not which bank, but sorry bank.
Speaker 2: Commonwealth Bank have apologized to customers, saying they're aware of the duplicate transactions. Their teams are working urgently to reverse season. Any phase charge will be refunded.
Speaker 9: Customers don't need to take action to ensure this takes place.
Speaker 1: We will do it automatically on their behalf. All right, here's an idea.
Speaker 3: If you're going to force everyone to have to do everything over the internet, when the internet stuffs up, you have to compensate in the same way that Optus.
Speaker 1: Well, they had the wrong type of compensation when they turned around and.
Speaker 3: Said free data, more data than you would normally use. Therefore, it's not really a giveaway. Here's an idea. What about no charges for the next month or so on tap and go?
Speaker 1: What about that?
Speaker 3: Just as a simple idea, you turn it off, you've got a mega profit. You'll lose a little bit more. But that's what's called paying for a glitch. Now, as we know that the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Aberanez, the greatest leader of all time. Right, sorry to the people, have been dragged along by people.
Speaker 1: Going what show am I watching? All right?
Speaker 3: Well, as you know, he had a great week last week. He showed that he's down with the people by buying a four point three million dollar investment property for when eventually he's going to retire, which may or may not be sooner than he's actually planning. The reason I say that is because the same Block who used to be a Labor Senator for Queensland has written in the past and the Financial Review, looking at the data about polling and demographics and other issues, that he thinks it's maybe not just a minority government, but maybe a change at the upcoming election. He previously wrote about a month ago that when we add it all up, we find that Labor will lose thirteen seats. They go from seventy eight currently to sixty five. Coalition may well be up seventeen from fifty five to seventy two. Now I told you at the time, I think that's a little bit hot, a little bit sort of wishful thin. But he's doubled down, particularly after the pole results that are playing out in places around the country, but also the events that took place last week, because the threat of course to Labor comes when it comes to power, It'll come from the Liberal National Party or the LNP when it comes to some of their representation, it's going to be the Greens where if they end up finishing second or even potentially third, because remember their primary vote is the lowest it's been in more than one hundred years, well then a whole lot of weird things.
Speaker 1: Are going to happen.
Speaker 3: So what he wrote in the Financial Review this weekend was the Labour's chances.
Speaker 1: Of holding onto power was slim now way for thin.
Speaker 3: Let me read a month ago Anthony Albernezi had a slim chance of remaining the Prime minister after the next election.
Speaker 1: But over the past week the slim chance has disappeared. He says.
Speaker 3: If you have a look at the Queensland election, which will be focused on next week, well you'll be able to see there what's going to happen in certain seeds. Double check and think about whether people are starting to move to the left or the right, particularly in area's Labor are banking on to be able to hold on. If we see the Labor Party lose some of its lower income primary votes to people like the Greens, or lower income voters to the Coalition, than the electoral odds favorite Dutton winning outright in twenty twenty five, so we'll all see what happens. You also thinks the failures of the Labor Party in Victoria at the moment could be a particular issue.
Speaker 1: And don't forget there's a third of.
Speaker 3: The country that's trying to pay off a house after those interest rates have gone up by a dozen times since this bloke became Prime minister. But I don't want you to think that Peter Dutton had an amazing weekend. In fact, he had quite a traumatic experience, one that may well force him out.
Speaker 1: Of Australian politics.
Speaker 3: He was sort of he was speaking about nuclear power and he was, as the ABC reported, heckled by protesters. Look at how many protesters heckled him.
Speaker 1: This was the lead story.
Speaker 3: On their freaking website one, two, three, four five. And I'm going to be kind the two people up in the back. They were convinced by the protests. Seven people is enough to get you a headlined on Channel two. But that's all right, we pay for it regardless of whether you like it or not. All right, let's turn our attention to Queensland right now, where today the LNP, well, they launched their campaign for the election, which will be taking place on Saturday. What the election result is going to be, New Pole's going to show that it is exactly as I predicted, a little tighter than maybe some people thought. Now, remember half most likely of all people in Queensland will vote before election day, which is why the Labor Party had their launch last week and because the other half are getting ready for this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's why the LNP went. Now, Now, there.
Speaker 3: Was a lady who was very strongly represented, and I'll get to that in the moment, But first, David Cruci fully potentially six days away from wiping out Labor.
Speaker 9: Under our plan, we will make sure the youth offenders are doing something productive for themselves. Don't want to go to class today, well, too bad, you are going. If the state is taking over the responsibility of their care, we must ensure we use their time to become better people.
Speaker 3: Now I said that there was a person who loomed large. Violine White is the grandmother who was stabbed in front of her grandchild.
Speaker 1: Why because she went to the shops on a Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: The court process will play out and do what it does, but it was the line in the sand for many people in Queensland who had enough about youth crime and it was a major push why David Cruso fully is trying to put in place laws which is adult crime equals adult time. Her family have now formerly endorsed the Liberal Party and a change of government at the upcoming election. Her husband who you can imagine any invocation of her name would break his heart while he was there battling for Violeine's law. Her daughter also spoke today ahead of the official launch of the campaign. This was powerful stuff. This will in my view, put the nail.
Speaker 1: Right through the Labor Party up there.
Speaker 10: There's no other options. Well, Labor and Stephen Miles have run from the Queensland youth victim crisis when all other victims of any crisis, we watched David and the LMP team take it head on. I'm one of the few Queenslanders who have looked both Stephen Miles and David Chrysti fully straight in the eye and that is why I will be voting for David Chris fully and his LMP team.
Speaker 3: Amazing stuff, Queensland. Six days you know what to do.
Speaker 1: See you later.
Speaker 3: I'll be there with the Domestos on Saturday night to cailing away what maybe we're left off that government looking forward to it. Now, let's talk quickly in America because the data is all starting now to treat one way, and that is Donald Trump looks like he might be about to win this upcoming election.
Speaker 1: Lonnie, how do we feel about that? Yeah? Good de scene all right now.
Speaker 3: When it comes to the latest book, he's fifty seven forty two in.
Speaker 1: Favor of Donald Trump. However, there are.
Speaker 3: Individual bets which have been really big, which have helped fiddle with that number.
Speaker 1: But still, let's look at the polls.
Speaker 3: One, two, three or seven of the swing states currently on average are going Trump's way.
Speaker 1: Also, when it comes to the prediction.
Speaker 3: Models, Nate Silver, who have told you before, he says fifty one forty eight Trump is a chance of winning. When it comes to the five point thirty eight, they now have Trump in front two saying he's fifty two out of one hundred times likely to win when they run everything through the computers.
Speaker 1: So it's all looking good when it comes to the data.
Speaker 3: However, in lefty Land, for those who of course hate Trump, they only saw one story this weekend, which was that there was problems at a rally, which meant that he was apparently wandering around stage for eight eight minutes, not actually delivering.
Speaker 1: Huge speeches on all of that.
Speaker 3: As for Harris, she was being endorsed by, among others, Usher, and of course she is doubling down at the moment on her central message when it comes to it's a nice jacket, very big caller though. Anyway, the doubling down on changing the making sure that Trump does not win. Now, for those of us in Trump Land, what did we see this weekend? Well, we saw Trump being endorsed by the Undertaker, and by that I mean the former multiple World Wrestling Federation champion, the Undertaker and Cain.
Speaker 1: He also was endorsed by steel workers.
Speaker 3: In Pennsylvania, and he told a fantastic locker room story which will offend every lefty that you know about the golf and great Arnold Palmer. Roll the tape and hold on.
Speaker 1: To your pearls.
Speaker 6: This is a guy that was old man.
Speaker 1: His man was strong and tough.
Speaker 6: And I refused to say it, but when he took showers with the other pros that came out of there, they said, oh my god, that's unbelievable. I had to say it.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. I really want to repay it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to play it every single night this week because I think it's the most inappropriately.
Speaker 1: Wonderful thing I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 3: All Right, let's focus here in and around Long System, this part of our town. Thanks for the very good people of Harvey Norman Bridget Archier is of course like a federal MP in the federal electorate of Bass and we were able to talk to her about what it's like to represent this area, perhaps its most beautiful area.
Speaker 1: Well, Bridget, this is one hell of an office. We're all not bad.
Speaker 5: We're here in Lonceston's beautiful Cataract Gorge and this is the first base in here with the city of Lonceessant swimming Pool.
Speaker 1: That's where else would you want to be? This year is the perfect spring day.
Speaker 3: The second you get off the plane, you feel the air, you feel the people. But to have resources like this, I mean, I'd love to tell you this is a three hour drive out from No, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's ten minutes. Ten minutes from the CBD.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you can see even today we had terrible weather yesterday but a bit of sun and people are out and enjoying this part of the city and it's right on their doorstep.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the town, this area your seat.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about things, not politically, but just the vibe of the place. How does it feel compared to when you first ran a few years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think it's mixed in some ways. I think it's a really exciting time for Northern Tasmania and there's a lot of positive things happening and there's been some great, you know, tourism developments. I'm always surprised to see some new small businesses opening every couple of weeks and it's great to see, like I said, people having a go. And I think they're a real and always has been a real entrepreneurial spirit in Launceston. You know, it's really We've just celebrated this week the one hundred and seventy fifth birthday of the Launceston Chamber of Commerce, one of the oldest in the country, and I think it speaks to the kind of entrepreneurial spirit that we have here in Northern Tasmania. But you want everyone to benefit from that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and you know, we all know that promise has made and all the rest of it that haven't come true.
Speaker 1: But I've got to say, and this is all over the country right there's.
Speaker 3: A rivalry between Townsville and Cairns.
Speaker 1: Oh who's better, who's great?
Speaker 3: There is obviously a divide at times between North and South Tasmania, so much so that there are separate public holidays, separate public holidays.
Speaker 5: And very different beers.
Speaker 3: This is it, So tell us the North of the South. What makes the two different? What's different about a Northerner than someone down around Hobah.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it is partly that sort of contrast between you know, Hobart's the kind of capital city center of the kind of public service, that sort of thing, and then Launceston I think really founded on that kind of small business, entrepreneurial you know, mums and dads having a go and building a life for themselves. Like I think it's a bit of a different sort of vibe. But and yeah, there's there's a strong sort of parochialism. I think that still exists. Mostly it's reasonably good natured and of course it's diverse here in the North. I think you've got Lonceston here as a kind of regional city. We say, the greatest regional city in the world.
Speaker 1: But then who's going to fight you on that today? No one's fighting you on this today.
Speaker 5: It's perfect. But also yeah, it's it's got this sort of natural environment very close by as well, and then right out into sort of rural areas, advanced manufacturing down the river at Bell Bay, and you know there's a diversity I think to the economy here in the North.
Speaker 3: Well, look, no disrespect to the South, but in the North, I love that classic cars.
Speaker 1: They've got the Classic Car Museum.
Speaker 3: They've even got an event that I think you're off to a little bit later today. But just finally about what you hope for this region in the next little while, right, What are the types of things that you would like to see you have that dream relationship between potentially yourself in a government working with the state government.
Speaker 1: Give us an idea of the types of what's next about this joint good life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think we really need to focus on all of these natural assets that we have here in Lonceston. Both in terms of these sort of natural assets mean it's a really high potential for a tourism area and there's a lot of growth been undertaken in that year. More to do where now are you NESCo City of Gastronomy, Wow, which is pretty cool, I think, and building a fermentation world class fermentation center just another ten minutes out of town to value add to our agricultural industries. But we also still you know, we have other advanced manufacturing industries here that have been here for a long time where I live at Georgetown, you know Belbaluminium, It's been there no seventy years or something now, providing a lot of jobs for people. But we need to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to benefit from that. We need to recognize that we do have some challenges as an island, and you would see there's a bit of an inquiry going on at the moment into freight equalization for example. So we need to just keep building on that entrepreneurial spirit that exists here and giving people the opportunity to do what they do best. And for May as a liberal, that means, you know, you have a government that kind of gets other way.
Speaker 3: A little bit across that's Northern Tasmania.
Speaker 1: Lonnie.
Speaker 3: You've got a wonderful representative in Bridge at all the best for the upcoming election.
Speaker 1: But more importantly I have passion you are about the place. I love how you're represented on the national stage. So congratulations to you. It's good to see you in Lillipool.
Speaker 3: I like Richards, is a nice light and very passionate about a community. It's a seat that can of course pass and Brandon normally sort of one term, as she would be at the first to be going for three terms in quite a while.
Speaker 1: A man I also knows that to represent this.
Speaker 3: Part of Tasmania is Michael Ferguson. Michael Ferguson, gi him around, applause of course.
Speaker 1: How are you mate? Yeah, really good, good good, got so good to be here.
Speaker 3: That gorge is not fourteen you know, not a four hour drive. It's ten minutes out of town. I love that at Lon Seston, in any particular direction, you can have a change of scenery, a new thing to do. You can spend much more than just a weekend here. That gorge in particular.
Speaker 1: Is just beautiful.
Speaker 11: You can go to the gorge, you can go to the mountain, you can go to the beach, you can go to the river. You go to the wilderness. You know, within twenty or sixty minutes of the city.
Speaker 1: You've got a lot of choice.
Speaker 11: Where spoil here in Northern Tassim. We're glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So give us an idea when you're in the harder government and you're trying to fight for this area, what are the sorts of things that this area wants of state government.
Speaker 11: People in Northern Tasmania want government to focus on their everyday needs, desires, the goals they've got for their families. They're less interested, in my opinion, on what peak bodies and so called stakeholders have got to say. You know what I'm talking about, And government does need to listen to stakeholders and peak bodies, but they've got to listen to the people of the community and focus on them. Often they don't have a voice.
Speaker 1: Often they're not.
Speaker 11: Loud voices, and it does fall to the politicians to use wise judgment. Be careful who we're listening to. Don't just go into parliament repeating what the last person said to you. Go and listen to the people in the supermarkets, in their homes, in their churches, in their schools.
Speaker 3: One of the many things I'm sure it's deeply frustrating if you are in front of the process. But the thing I love most about Lonzessene Bass in this area in particular is they're not afraid of getting up in your face.
Speaker 1: Right, They'll do it. You're a space now, this is it? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got a good hour as soon as we're off the air. But what that's like because obviously it keeps you in check. It make sure that you don't get too distracted by the hobart of everything.
Speaker 11: Maybe that's why Northern Tasmania the seed of bass that Bridget represents for us so well, maybe that's why it's marginal. Maybe it's because people are not sold just on a particular personal party, but they are interested in those who are going to focus on their family, their community, their river, their school, their hospital.
Speaker 3: So in terms of all of those competing interests, again, the sense of Tasmania from outside of Tasmania is that they are often sort of these tectonic plates that at times are not necessarily pushing in the right direction. How do you manage those tectonic plates.
Speaker 11: A great question. Well, pick an example like forestry. Like forestry has been cast over time and time again, and it's always been, well frequently been the case that a state like Tasmani that actually does forestry really well, whether it's native sustainable forest practices or plantation and getting into some new industries and new and clever products, it doesn't necessarily follow that just what's good for our community and our state is something that will find its way into a mainstream labor party policy, because there are mainland capital till seats and voters to appeal to Greens and labor left, and so they can sway the major party, in particular on the left of politics. And yet our people are the ones who have to pay the price. It's happening in our on salmon. We've got to watch that like a hawk. And we've got to protect these industries because they're good industries and they're putting food on the tables of our families.
Speaker 1: Good Man, you're a wonderful representative. Thank you, Michael Post, thank you. Give them around of reports. Good Man. Good Man, all right, stayed there because I've got a quick break.
Speaker 3: In a moment or two's time, back to her in Monceys and takes you good people of Parvey. Norman harry On Tidmus will talk to her and other star athletes. There must be something in the water here because it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Welcome back in a long cistern. We are having a great time.
Speaker 3: Ariana Tipmas is of course a multiple Australian, a multiple Olympic gold medal winner.
Speaker 1: She did such incredible things in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: We remember that as the panacea to what it was like to be locked up at home to see how well she did and how excited.
Speaker 1: Her coach was.
Speaker 3: Of course, she went on to even greater success in Paris. That in part is because of the commitment that Harvey Norman have had to her. They've saw her coming for a very long time. She's very proud Australian, very proud Tasmanian. It was in honor to have a chapter her a bit earlier. She is an Olympic champion and she is particularly proud of where we are tonight, that being beautiful Tasmania, because she's from this part of the world. Ariana Tipmas joins us now. Congratulations and thank you so much for the chat mate.
Speaker 12: Hi Paul, thanks for having me so.
Speaker 3: At First things first, where do you put the gold medals? Where do they go? Are they back at mum and Dad's Do you keep them by the bedside?
Speaker 1: What do you do? Because you've got a few.
Speaker 12: Now, Yeah, they're actually living in a few pairs of socks that I got in Paris because they haven't got their cases home on the freight yet. But they're in the safe, in the socks, keeping them nice and cozy.
Speaker 3: Very good, and the safe of course his name mystery location. Let's not be specific everyone, please, Now, I always wanted to ask you this right where when you feel that pressure, and you feel the inevitable pressure of expectation, you feel the pressure of being on a billboard, being somebody who is more visible than most of the people on.
Speaker 1: The team, how do you cleanse that out?
Speaker 3: How do you make sure that when you're just prepping, you're walking your way towards the blocks? I mean, how could you not be thinking about twenty seven million people at home that might be leaning into a television. But how do you try to flush us out of your race?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 12: It actually is really challenging. I definitely felt it these games more than ever. I actually, for the first time in my career, worried what would happen if I was to lose, which is something I've never never felt before. But I think I'm pretty hard on myself as well. I have really high expectations for my performances and I expect highly of myself as as my coach, and so I think I really try to think about that, and that kind of like blurs out the rest of the pressure. Of course, I want to some well for our country, and that I think turning into a positive thing is what drives me. Just turning the pressure to perform more so into support and people just willing and wanting me to win is actually a positive thing and I'd rather have it than not. So I think it just the way you look at it can change your outlook on it.
Speaker 3: When you've won a gold medal, one assumes celebration is not part of anything until the meat is over. But do you reward yourself, you know, on the day you win a gold medal with anything, like do you have I don't know, sparkling water, not bottled water? What do you do when you're in the middle of a competition but you've won a gold medal and you kind of want to go, well done, mate, well done.
Speaker 12: So I got back to my bedroom after the four hundred around one am, and I had a fred A frog. But I couldn't treat myself too much. I had to I had to wake I had to wake up the next morning about eight o'clock to get out there and race my two hundred heats. So Alfredo did it, and you kind of just have to forget about the race because I had the two hundred the next morning. So yeah, a little bit of a little bit of chocky you got me through.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about outside the pool away from swing, right, because you know fully rounded, normal person who believes lots of things and loves lots of things outside of what you do for a job. Give me an idea about you know, what life is like outside of the pool, all those times where you're not as aggressively training for something.
Speaker 1: What will we find you doing? What do you like to do?
Speaker 12: In the past, I've probably been pretty mellow with my decisions. Quiet dinner in a trip to the beach. I love cooking things like that. But at the moment, I'm really trying to live my best life. I've made myself as busy as possible, which I'm really enjoying. I'm doing a lot of speaking engagements and meeting a lot of people and telling my story, which I'm really enjoying. Actually doing a bit of work in the broadcast world in the media, which I find comes really naturally to me, which I'm enjoying. I'm spending as much time as possible with my friends and family. I'm a huge sports fan outside of swimming, so I've been to all the footy finals, which I've thoroughly enjoyed. We're heading into spring racing carnival seasons, so I will be at the Lexus Melbourne Cup and the Melbourne Cup Carnival, which I'm excited for. So I'm just kind of reveling in life at the moment, which is really fun.
Speaker 3: You do you or I made a final message for everyone here in Tazzy. What do you want to say to people about why Tazzy means what it does to you?
Speaker 12: Tasmanian's punched above their weight and I'm so proud to be from Tazzy. It will always be my home. I'll always be Tasmanian, and I think more than anywhere in the country, I've truly felt support from home and I can't wait to give back as much as i can to Tasmanians and meet as many fans as possible and just kind of be down there and enjoy what is my home state is. It truly is beautiful and I think every Australian should really get down there and experience what Tazzy has to offer, because it's truly one of the best places in the world. And I've traveled a lot, but I'm being serious and saying that its scenery is beautiful and I really am proud to be from there.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred times over. Thank you so much for the chat.
Speaker 3: It's an honor to be able to talk to you, and of course it's all thanks to the support of our difference at Harvey Norman who backed you in very hard for a very long time.
Speaker 1: They will for the rest of your career and I would.
Speaker 3: Imagine beyond congratulations mate, you give such pleasure to those of us on the other side of the world when you're taking on the world. So congratulations, enjoy the break and whatever you want to do after that.
Speaker 12: Thanks Paul.
Speaker 13: She is also doesn't she a huge credit to Tasmamia, her family and a force Australia as is none other than Ladies and didn't put your hands together for a lady, you're about to fall in love with no pressure our viney ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Pressure pressure, all right, so Paralyinki.
Speaker 3: And there's lots of notes that I have, but let's get rid of those. Let's just have a good old fashioned chat, all right.
Speaker 1: What was terrorist like? Did you like it? I did? I loved it.
Speaker 14: I love this more.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's just have a chat. When did you first start competing?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 14: I came into the world of parisport about six years ago, a little bit under that and yeah, within three months, I was actually thrown into the world of the national team. So competition came at me hard and fast and it hasn't slowed down since then.
Speaker 3: We had a chat to before and my sense of your personality is that you can take it all in your stride. But that's a lot to take in your stride.
Speaker 14: Wow, you just said no pressure before and now you're throwing this in me. Great, Okay, I'm glad that's what you picked up about my personality.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying this is that what was your sinsult? How did you deal with that? And has that changed the more you've been exposed to things?
Speaker 14: Because Paralympic's huge Yeah again, pressure, No, it was. It was an honor straight away, but it was also something that I dreamt about my whole life. I grew up without a disability and acquired one at the age of eighteen, and at that point that's when society said, Ali, you're different now, so this isn't for you anymore. And I didn't believe that or feel that, but it's what I was faced with. So when I came back into the world of sport, when my opportunity finally presented itself, I was ready. I was an adult, and I just took it. I took it as this is what I wanted. I'm going to see how far I can go.
Speaker 3: Now, when you're rowing, give us an idea about the where the individual stops and where the team takes over. Obviously, best case scenario, it's you and everyone else, if you're all one giant whatever, right, But when you're trying to get into that zone, are there processes?
Speaker 1: Are their songs? Are their superstitions?
Speaker 14: Wow? I mean all of the above. Rowing is a really interesting sport. You're an individual right up until the moment that you're selected. You're actually competing against everyone else that's there. So we go through a trialing process. It's back to back racing, and until your name is actually called out, you don't know that you're actually in the team. And when you become a team but that constant change, having to make everything work until you're selected, like it is individual but at the same time, you have to be the best team player possible because if you miss out on being that team player even once, that could be your opportunity gone. So yeah, rowers are incredible. They're very hard working individuals, but they're also the best teammates that you could potentially come across.
Speaker 3: So what's special about this area to you? And either your ability to train? Can you train have that sporting career here? Do you have to sort of live a life here but then up to the performance and here and this, that and the other. What role does Tazzy playing in your athletic life at the moment?
Speaker 14: What Tazzy plays is It's been the place that I've come home to on the back of any campaign. There's a lot of feelings and experiences that an athlete has gone through. And when I landed back from Paris, one of the first places I wanted to come was home. It's where my family, it's where I grew up. It's familiar, and it feels safe. And when you have put everything out there in front of the whole world and whether you've reached metal potential, you've reached your potential. You need that safety net and to come home and feel safe, supported, and also celebrated as well, because as an athlete, we are so tough on ourselves and sometimes you just need people to say wow, like what you're doing is amazing, and what you're doing for the community is amazing, and you kind of lose sight of that sometimes when you are competing. So to come home and be embraced by the Tazi community has has been the best medicine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, of my life.
Speaker 3: Give us an idea about your expectations outside of outside of what would you like to to do or you're working on a career goal or the nature of training means you can't do that stuff.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do? No? Not when you What do you want to be when you? When I grow up?
Speaker 14: What do I want to be? I want to be a Paralympian forever. No, what I what I do outside? I'm a qualified strengthen initially coach and sports scientist. I worked in AFL and AFLW for quite a while and then came into the world of rowing. But at the moment I'm doing quite a lot of keynote speaking, so I don't know why people bother to do that. Quite good at waffling on the feelings, you know.
Speaker 1: The feeling you can buy like a whole house, that's great, one of those would be great. Too much time, but yeah, you can eventually get a house.
Speaker 14: Someone else can enjoy it. For me, no, at the moment, for me, it's very important. We are eight years away from Brisbane twenty thirty two, the Olympic and Paralympic home game.
Speaker 1: You're so going to be there, well.
Speaker 14: Hopefully maybe as the CEO, maybe as the Chef de mission, hopefully not still as an athlete. I feel like I might be a bit washed up by then. But in the process, there is eight years to have conversations and to let Tasmanians know that we are capable of performing at the highest level. But also there are so many jobs that are a part of getting athletes to the world stage, and so it's for me, I spent eight years wondering where I fit in. And now I have eight years to help have the conversation to let the whole community know that this is the most amazing thing. Whether you want to be the athlete, whether you want to be the doctor, the sports scientist, the commentator, the world's your awso.
Speaker 1: I can do it.
Speaker 3: Anyone can help, so good to make you congratulations, Congratulations you'll start stay there because I'm going to go help pay for all of these things. Are the very good people of Harvey Norman or like quick back in a moment or two.
Speaker 1: We are in long sense.
Speaker 3: Then we are here in the King's Bridge By and Restaurant in Lonceston. There's some amazing accommodation both here and just up the road. Please come to lon cyst and I say it all the time, see Australia. This is a magnificent place. Not just for the weekend, stretch it out of course, across the entire week. Now while you hear, one of the things you can do is going to have two of the Bogue's Brewery. It's exactly what we did with our mate Charlie who doesn't know James Bogus, Well, this is the place where they.
Speaker 1: Make it here in lon Cisteon.
Speaker 3: Charlie, thank you for having us a pleasure show us around.
Speaker 1: But the story begins here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's correct. In fact, the story begins even before this. But this is eighteen eighty one. This is the original facade of the Esque Brewery. So behind this and encompassing the whole block is the longest continuously operating brewing side in Tasmania, going all the way back to eighteen fifty three.
Speaker 1: So, Charlie, where are we now are?
Speaker 4: So where we are now is on the second floor of our brewhouse, which has been open since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: This brewhouse is where we.
Speaker 4: Will transform fifty thousand liters of water, barley and hops into a liquid that will ferment and turn into beer. There's a conveyor belt just up there pole which will bring somewhere between six and eight tons of malted barley, deposit it into.
Speaker 1: This first vessel called the mash.
Speaker 4: Ton, and we add thirty thousand liters of water. Now we heat that up while heating the waterer. What will be doing it will be dissolving the sugars that are in those barley grains, and that sugar is the fermentable sugar that we'll use to create the beer. Lad We've got our first filtration process, which occurs here in the laughter Ton. This has got a big false floor in the bottom of it. We're gonna pump thirty thousand liters of liquid over the top of that false floor.
Speaker 1: We're gonna filter it out until.
Speaker 4: The liquid runs and it looks something like We also pump an extra twenty thousand liters of water over the top of the remaining mash to extract the last microparticles to give it better depth of flavor.
Speaker 1: After that, we're.
Speaker 4: Going to go to the third vessel, which sits further along in the brew house.
Speaker 1: And this third vessels called the Kettle.
Speaker 4: It's pretty creative name, too much imagination to work out what goes on in there. In this vessel, our work will be boiled and this is where we add the hops. At the end of all of this will have fifty thousand leads of liquid and this is what we want to ferment.
Speaker 1: We turn into beer at the fermentations. Okay, let's check out what's next.
Speaker 3: So, Charlie, this looks very big and very important in the process.
Speaker 1: What are we about to see? He's very big and it is very important. So what we've got.
Speaker 4: Here, Paul, ten fermentation vessels. Each one of those is two hundred and fifty thousand legs. So this is where we're going to be added the fourth ingredient, which is yeast, to ferment our liquid and turn it into beer over the course of seven days. At the end of it, the beer needs to be filtered one more time so that we can put it into bottles, keeps, and cans, so it's ready to be sold to a consumer.
Speaker 1: So where did that happen.
Speaker 4: That happens on the packaging line, which is at the other end of the brewer, which is where we're going.
Speaker 1: To go next. See the man knows his TV well done. I've watched a bit of it, Dully.
Speaker 3: I see nothing but an opportunity here. But I also see systems that have been worked on and refined and refined and refined. So tell us the final part of the journey.
Speaker 4: In this place, it summed up beautifully, very refined, highly automated. We're at the start and finish of the bottling and canning line here, about nine hundred to one thousand a minute over the course of a twelve hour shift.
Speaker 1: We can do the.
Speaker 4: Best part of half a million units. As long as everything goes according to plan, which is normally done half a million bottles or King blimey, the roguody garments will assemble the cartoners place them on a palette ready to be dispatched.
Speaker 3: Just offers little gift packs for Australia, exactly, just little gift packs full of love, little packs of beery goodness, full.
Speaker 4: Of love, full of creativity, all of love, passion, prime.
Speaker 1: Correct, the perfect gift for Father's d.
Speaker 3: Take it to Charlie and all the people approached, and I'm going to say we've been lucky enough to be shown around some pretty amazing things around the country. I don't think I've seen a more passionate and more detailed person than Charlie is about the job that he does. And that's again one of those moments when you come and you see a tour and you see somebody who isn't just doing a job, but is passionate about it. Absolutely fantastic bloke. So galated Charlie and his family. I'm going to be watching right now. Karen and Michelle joined us now from the Benevolent Society. Give them around of applause, because what they do is you deal with the tough stuff all right, and we don't shy away from it. You know, in between all the other stuff that we talk about on the show on a day to day basis, I'm obsessed with the cost of living stuff because there's a whole collection of people who are losing touch. It's hurting harder and things are tougher. Give us an idea about are you guys busier than you've been in a while?
Speaker 15: Yeah, food relief now has really increased. We supplied food relief to three and a half hours and long Sestonians last year. The increase what we're getting through now, just having to look at the figures the other day, June and July had a twenty percent increase on January, February March.
Speaker 3: So when things are getting better for others, they are getting progressively worse and inevitably, Michelle, the types of people that you're dealing with as well, there are a lot of people who stereotypically people wouldn't think are the types of people who need help.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 16: There shouldn't be a stigma on it at all, because there is absolutely no reason why. It's just not an ordinary person who may be in financial crisis, there could be addiction, there could be mental health, or it could just be that they just can't.
Speaker 1: Afford to live. So how do you try to break cycles?
Speaker 3: How do you try to help this the immediate We'll give you something to eat, will help you. How are you able to push people towards services that mean they can find a way to change things?
Speaker 15: Yeah, So we've started doing a lot more work with other societies like City Mission and Salvation Arm Anglicare So we're emergency relief, so we supply food and furniture and basically anything goes into a house where we can do work with the other societies. Like last week, we had a gentleman that's been homeless for three years. The City Mission got him accommodation and Angler Care as sister to get the accommodation for him. So that was three societies doing the world together. So Brad from the City Mission came to us and said, Karen, we've got Adam off the streets after three years. Are you able to supply furniture for him? And I said, not a problem at all, bring him in. So Brad bought Adam in and walked him around the place, Adam got to pick out his own furniture. Yeah, and then the Salvation Army they dropped off a dining table for him. So last week, Adam, on Thursday night, Adam slept in his own unit, in his own bed, with his own count.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, thank you for doing that.
Speaker 3: Thank you also, and all those other services people are Lonnie are awesome and are always there to help out.
Speaker 1: How can they help out more? How can they resist?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 16: Look, we've got a lovely community here in non Systein. Our only big fundraiser for the Society is our charity event, which is on the ninth of November this year. It's out under the stars, and we have so many local businesses that just hand out to us, help us out with wonderful action items and it all just works together. We got wonderful businesses. We all support each other and just help help us.
Speaker 1: They just we're very lucky.
Speaker 16: So our annual event coming up on the ninth of November will be big and.
Speaker 1: If you want to buy tickets, more about it. What's the website? Facebook? How do we get in touch with the magnetics?
Speaker 16: Just go onto the Benevolent Society Facebook page. You can buy a ticket and win a car. We've got a car raffle this year, only five hundred tickets sold. Jackson Motor Company helped us out.
Speaker 3: There, and I'm happy with the blogs buggery just as much.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, ladies, thank you for what you do.
Speaker 3: You make the place better for people, and thank you for the hard work. I know how lonely that can get sometimes, but good on you for taking care of each other.
Speaker 1: It's awesome to be benevolent society.
Speaker 3: More information up on our Facebook page Especiation Perfomo Life. All right, quick break back with more Japanese monkeys. Yes, we're going to do the monkey thing you're saying at the moment.
Speaker 1: Here I'm pull my y line in long Sester.
Speaker 3: Welcome back here, Yeah, welcome back here to Lon Cessteon.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: One of the wonderful things here was an exchange which took place between the Sister City in Japan and Lon System the Gift Monkeys.
Speaker 1: We're in city park. We're here with Bridy. Bridie's a zoologist zoo keeper. Oh no, no, come on, I've upgraded you. What are we about to see?
Speaker 3: Because this is this is one of the most season Lonnie.
Speaker 17: It is it is so this is our famous for all the locals call it monkey Park that we're about to see our Japanese macackic exhibit. So we've got twenty three Japanese macacs in the middle of city.
Speaker 3: Pa squint hard enough, I'll be able to work out one of them as my cousin.
Speaker 17: Well, we actually share a ninety three percent DNA with this species.
Speaker 1: Sorry, long lost brother, long lost brother. Sorry Jayceon, thought it was just you. Or I'll have a look. So twenty three. Do they play? Do they fight, do they like a bunch of toddlers? Or are they calm a little bit of everything.
Speaker 17: So we're ranging from nine months old all the way to twenty seven years old. Oh wow, so we've got pretty much everything in between. So yeah, twenty three, so you've got a fair range of ages. So they play, they fight, they get annoyed with each other, they love each other. So this species they actually have friends. Wow, they have their little friends group in there. We've got some of our young ones that play with some of our older ones, which is really nice to see. So it's kind of like that grandpa and grandchild relationship going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a little bit of everything.
Speaker 17: Our dominant one is a twenty five year old female who gets whenever she wants.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, it makes perfect sense and I wouldn't argue with that order at all.
Speaker 17: They don't just groom each other to stay clean. They also do it to say sorry, to show forgiveness, to build up their close social bonds, but also to build up their political rank as well.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, yes, yes, we're aware of that. We know how that works pretty much. Have a look at this.
Speaker 3: This is how you get numbers in a Japanese monkey colony if you're trying to you know there are many politicians around Australia who have done the same thing for a vote, and clearly that's what you're willing to do in this group.
Speaker 1: Come have a look. No cuddles and don't feed them. Love it to me, she is gorgeous. All right. That's that say from Lon Sess And thank you very much for coming. Everyone appreciate it. Keep fight up. Thank you so much for everyone here at the Kingsbury's Bar and Restaurants. It makes it hardy Norman, it's the only reasonable able to be here. We'll see you back in the man time tomorrow and then grizzy for the queens and election. Thank you for cupping too much. Here's a Royal Report cut up