Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Recently retired homicide Inspector Hank Hinsinger is exactly the kind of detective I would have wanted working alongside me. Hank spent thirty four years on the job, a large portion of that in homicide. He rose through the ranks from detective sergeant to inspector, eventually taking charge of Toronto's homicide squad, one of the most demanding roles in Canadian law enforcement. Over the course of his career, Hank worked virtually every type of case you can imagine, going head to head with some of the most dangerous in calculating criminals the city has ever seen. I could talk to Hank all day. Have a listen to what he's got to say. You'll find it fascinating. Hank It Singer, thanks very much for coming on I Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me Gary. Amazing that we can chat like this from oppostin ends of the planet. So I'm really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: How the world has changed. I spent the weekend reading your book The High Road, and I've got to say I got lost in the pages. I as a former homicide detective myself. There was so much in that book that I could resonate with and I enjoyed it. Really. It had a behind the scenes look at the costs that comes with investigating homicide and all the other bits and pieces that go with it.
Speaker 2: You know what, and our careers, I think, time wise, were very similar. I spent thirty four years with the Toronto Police Service, joined in nineteen eighty nine, and I spent eighteen years in homicide. I first started in homicide in two thousand and five and I never left. I started as a detective, made my way up to detective sergeant, and then ultimately the last five years spent as the unit commander of the homicide squad until my retirement in late twenty twenty three early twenty twenty four. And no doubt about it, lots of stories in the book about people we lost along the way, whether through to murder or suicide or even natural death because of the stress and the physical and mental demands of the job. It's a tough job and it's a very even tougher job to do it well. So I'm grateful to have made it to retirement and enjoying a fairly healthy lifestyle here in the retirement, and it was a great opportunity to read the book as well. Well.
Speaker 1: I like someone that I know that you're at the sharp end and spending that much time in homicide and that much time in the police, it does come at a cost, and it's good to see people walk out the other end in relatively one piece and got the future after at please, so congratulations on that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: As to form a homicide detectives, we're going to talk about homicide, and I think it's appropriate that we just pay homage to the victims, because I know, if you've worked the cases as long as you have, it leaves an indelible impression on you and the victims. And the thing about homicide, it's not just one life that's taken. There's a ripple effect. There's so many other lives impacted upon in a negative way. So yeah, I think it's just important we give acknowledgment to all the victims that the cases that you worked and the lives that were destroyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. You know, eighty homicide cases, eighty victims whose deaths I investigated over the years, and every single one of them definitely embedded in my memory. But not just them, but their family members left behind as well, and their loved ones left behind, and even the family members and loved ones of the suspects and the accused. You know, they go to prison for the rest of their lives, usually for making one really bad decision at a really bad time, and their families end up being devastated as well. So it's almost like a double pronged sword, both having the victims' families and the accused families they're going to suffer for the rest of their lives. As well as the community at large. Right, the entire city I think really suffers whenever somebody needlessly gets killed on the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting you make the point because I think a lot of people miss that and that the families of the suspects quite often, as you said, and we know in homicide and we meet some despicable people, but there is also people that have made that one mistake and a terrible mistake, but their lives have taken away virtually as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, absolutely, And you know a lot of times, I mean, you're right, some of them are absolute monsters, and you know, I don't want to have any sort of compassion or relationship with them. But even then, sometimes the family members who really can't control what the suspects are doing yet they still get caught up in the aftermath, always had a sast spot there for them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you stay in contact with any of the families of the homicide victims, so the people that still reach out to you and you have that connection with.
Speaker 2: Them, Yeah, absolutely, Especially with the press and the media surrounding the book. I had a few of them reach out to me. One particular person that I still have a relationship with are the homeowners of fifty three Mallory Crescent in Toronto where the serial killer Bruce MacArthur disposed of victims in the backyard, and they actually came to my book launch, so it was great to see them. But for the years after that case was resolved, I quite regularly go and sit and have coffee with them in their backyard and chat about things, and still have a really good relationship with them. So the victims of the murders as well, much like the MacArthur case, usually email, text message, definitely have a good relationship. I talk about the Don Johnson case in the book. Still in regular contact with the victims mother and stepfather, and I relay that in the book. So not all of them, but certainly there are some who had really good relationships with and maintain those relationships to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, that's that's sort of a reflection of your career, and it's rewarding that that part of your policing career. You can get accolades for different different reasons and different things, but when you've got the respect and gratitude from families of people that you've probably met at the worst time in their life, you've come into their life and the fact that you've still got a relationship that reflects well on you. So yeah, it's interesting. I found stepping away from homicide that was the that was the most rewarding part that you could speak to these the families of the victims that you've met over the years, and you have a good relationship with them, and they become friends or almost like family some of them because it's so intense what you've what you've been through. I was speaking to a former Scotland Yard homicide cop and he may made a point to me that when he left and he worked homicide about as long as you and I did, so he was in the thick of it. And he said when he left the police and of his choosing and he decided he had enough, he said that's when he felt the weight of the emotion from the cases. And he said that when he was running the cases or working the cases, he wasn't sitting with the heavy emotion. You feel it, but not carrying it. And we discussed that a bit and he said we both came to the sort of conclusion. I think when you're involved in homicide, you haven't got time to dwell on the emotional impact and you move forward. You've got a job to do, and you work. Then you step away from it, and then you think, ah, that was pretty heavy what I saw and what happened. You've only recently been retired. After he raised that with me, I reflected and thought, yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Have you felt any of that now that you've stepped away from the pressure of being a homicide detective.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, And I think you both nail it is. When you're in the moment, you have to be so focused on doing the job and getting the job done, and getting it done properly to the highest standards because that's what the court's demand, So there's not a lot of time for emotion. Sometimes you get a little bit emotional there in the court process, which is a year and a half two years after the fact, especially dealing with the victims' families through the court process, but really leaving the job and sometimes being brought back to some of those stories, especially when going through the book and you writing about the child murders, for instance, and thinking back and wondering, wow, how did I keep that going for months and months and months on end? Without really breaking down. And some officers do break down, and a lot of officers that type of work, they're not cut out for it, and if they dip their toe into it, sometimes they check out. But it's a very very heavy job emotionally and physically that you have to do to do homicide work, and you have to have that addiction to that homicide work to keep yourself going. Yeah, And you know, it's always surreal at the end of the court case of that jury comes back and they say guilty, and you don't get a big way. I never got a big wave of emotion or happiness or anything like that. It's like, Okay, I'm done, onto the next one, right and away you go. So but definitely, you know, two and a half years, almost three years out now from the job, definitely going through some of those stories and discussing some of those stories that are in the book brings on some emotions that you just didn't have while you were actually going through the cases.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the murder of a child, I think and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going from memory from reading the book. But Kathleen or a young girl, Caitlin, and you found a note and maybe you could explain that a noting there that I must remember to wash my dishes. It's because I'm awful. That's why no one wants me. This is a young girl that was murdered, but these are the type of things that she was living with in the home. Can you just tell us a little bit about that, because I read that and you talked about the emotion you feel just talking about it. I read that and it sort of hit me on some of the cases i'd seen where what happened to kids in yeah, not being cared for by the right people.
Speaker 2: Kids absolutely are the toughest pieces to deal with. And you know, Keitlan Samson was only seven years old and living with some pretty horrible abuse from her caregivers. She was given up by her biological mother. Her biologe father was in jail for some drug offenses, and the mother gave Caitlin to her friends, Warren Johnson and Donna Irving, and they were bringing her up and she was with them for a little over a year before succumbing to her injuries that were inflicted upon her. And it was August of two thousand and eight when she died. So spent months on that investigation, and one really interesting thing is the entire family kept very careful notes, you know, the Irving and Johnson both kept journals and diaries, and Caitlyn, you know, only being grade two in school, made a lot of notes, but for punishment, they would make her write out lines. And we found all those documents in the apartment and one of the examples that you touched upon was I have to learn to wash my day. So we recovered the sheet of paper and at the top, through handwriting analysis, we could see it was one of the caregivers writing the first line and then she had to copy it all out. And then one of the documents that we found was I am an awful girl. That's why no one wants me. And just the thought of making a seven year old girl write that out forty or fifty times as a form of punishment just absolutely, to this day astounds me that somebody could be that evil to do that to a little girl. And it's interesting when you talk about emotion, because I regularly do a presentation on pediatric death investigations up here, and this is one of the cases that I talk about, and I always put a picture of those lines up on the screen for the class, and for about a year or two when I first started presenting it, I couldn't read that out without getting choked up about it, and that took a long time to get over. And then I also talk about in the book when that case happened, myself and the fellow who initially came on board to work the case with me, Our boss called us in. He says, you know, you guys got to sit down and talk with one of the senior guys in the office because we were both still pretty young, and the senior officer had investigated several child murders and he wants to chat with you or just kind of debrief And we all went and sat with one of these with his senior officer in an interview room, and you know, he was ostensibly there to support us and debrief us, but he within a minute or so broke down himself because suddenly all the child murders that he had investigated came flowing back and it turned into it. It was still a good support session for the three of us, but even more so for him than us at the time. Yeah, so they're very emotional, they're very, very difficult to deal with. And thankfully most homicide investigators in their careers don't actually end up investigating a child death or a child murder, and I was involved in a couple of them, and both of them are detailed in the book as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know our homicide at one stage that any suspicious death of a child was passed on the homicide and some were natural causes. But we were in undated at one stage with investigating children's death. Sometimes it was homicide, sometimes it was natural causes. But it took a toll on a lot of people in the office at the time that we were just getting in undated investigating child deaths because they're never nice.
Speaker 2: Now they're very difficult.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you you enjoy homicide, but I think it could probably be best summed up. And this is another thing from your book, the interview when you went for a panel to become a member of the homicide squad, and the first question that this panel of senior police officers asked you was why do you want to work in the homicide squad? And you answered, you're kidding me, right? I mean, this is it, isn't it? This is a pinnacle. Anyone who takes pride and investigative work wants to work here. Okay, So I think that gives us a sense of your thoughts of getting the homicide. Is that a proper representation?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. I mean it was nineteen ninety one when as a young uniform asser I found myself at a murder scene and I was so impressed by the homicide officers who showed up. I said, that's what I want to do, and always focused my policing in down the investigative field and through the investigative branches, and ultimately in two thousand and it was actually two thousand and four when I interviewed for the homicide squad. I started there in early two thousand and five. And you know, the interesting thing about that interview is had we had standard interview questions for the homicide Squad, and when I became Munich commander, I use that same question for people who wanted to come into homicide. And I think maybe out of the probably twenty twenty five people that I interviewed over five years, maybe one of them gave a similar answer. Right. But they're being true to themselves, right. They weren't giving that expected, boiler plate, politically correct answer, that that most candidates would give, but they gave that honest answer where it was like, you're kidding me, right, Like what investigator doesn't want to work here? This is absolutely the cream of the crop of investigators. It's the pinnacle of investigative work. And nothing is held to a higher standard in our courts than homicide cases. So if you want to be a great investigator, this is where you do it right. And as not to besmirch the guys who are working hold ups and the guys who are working the sex crimes investigations, but the best defense lawyers and the best judges and the toughest judges in the city, they're overseeing that homicide case. And I always said, until you push a homicide investigation that you've been in charge with and it's contested in court through that court system, win or losing court, you really don't have an appreciation as to what we do and why we do it. And that's the ultimate judge right there is take one of those cases, which of course takes years from the day you start homicide, usually two or three years before you're in that situation where you've controlled the keys from the beginning right to the end. And now you can say, okay, now I get so. To me, it was always the pinnacle.
Speaker 1: Look, I agree, and that you paid tribute to the other specialist police, whether it's drugs or the mhold up squad, sex crimes. And there's people in those squads and units just as passionate as we are as homicide. I would often joke there's homicide detectives and then there's people that want to be homicide detectives. That went over reasonably well when I was lecturing on detectives courses another and it's interesting you talk about the interview panel for homicide. As I got more soon you're in the police. I started to sit on the panels for homicide, and there was a structure where you know, what are the proofs of homicide? This and that? And I decided to mix it up a little bit on the interview panel and just said, you know, tell me a job you've bled for. And so people are coming in there prepared, they've done all the study, the need for explaining what homicide is about, understanding the law. I get that, but anyone can learn that, and you I just dropped it on them, Well, tell me a job that you've actually bled for because they're the type of detectives I wanted to working with in homicide, ones that you know, when it gets tough, that's when they really roll up their sleeves. And I got some interesting responses from that, but it helped me assess the people that were coming into homicide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean same. I really really focused. A lot of people wanted to come to homicide so they could tick that checkbox yeah right, and say Okay, I've done it. They'll do it for a few years and then they'll move on because it's a great little bit of experience for future promotional considerations. And I really tried to stay away from people like that. I want you to be here because this is what you want to do, you know. I want those ten to fifteen twenty year homicide guys. I don't want the three or four year hormone side guys. You have to have that addiction to the work and this is all you want to do. And if you've got twenty years left in your career and this is it for promotions, but you're doing homicide work, that's the type of person I want. And we ended up with a fantastic team of people in homicide and we broke some records for clearing homicides. I think as a result of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw your clear upright, that was outstanding some of the times of the percentage of clear up rates. But you're quite right. And I would see people go through the New South Wales Police and I'm sure other police forces the same. They spend twelve months in homicide and for the rest of their career they're telling everyone they're a homicide detective. And I really think I worked homicide for twenty years and I learned every single day I came there was something else that I learned that I just was a build up of experience. And I don't think you're a real homicide detective until you spent about five years in there, starting at the bottom, taking those matters through court, because there is so much, so much to learn. I was fortunate I had some great mentals and I acknowledge them any chance I get that they taught me the trade. I felt like I was doing an apprenticeship learning the skill of a homicide detective. Who were your mentals. I'm sure you had some people that you looked up to and guided you in your career In homicide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and you know, I do my best to acknowledge them in the book. The very first one I acknowledged was a fellow named Mike Hambell, who was the homicide detective who showed up at that first murder that I was at in nineteen ninety one as a young uniform officer, and I bumped into him on another murder case a couple of years after that, and he was just so impressive. Like I said, I kind of said, that's who I want to be. And then when I started a homicide you know, sixteen years after I joined the police service, and I had done a ton of investigative work in the divisions, and you know, I was king of the castle in the detective office in the division that I worked at, and I thought I knew it all, and then I started in homicide and learned very quickly that I didn't know squat right. The fellow that I was paired up with was named Mark Saunders, and eventually Mark went on to become the chief of police up here in Toronto. But he was just absolutely brilliant and an absolutely brilliant investigator. And you know, I used the there's a famous analogy up here in Canada, and you probably probably don't know it down in Australia, but Wayne Gretzky, the great hockey player from Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, I know why Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I think most people on this planet know who Wayne Gretzky is. And what they always said about Wayne Gretzky is if he was on the ice and they turned out the lights to know where everybody on the ice was, right even though it was dark, and even know where the puck was. He just had that sight and that sense. And I used to say the same thing about Mark Sanders, Right, He's like Dwayne Gretzky of homicide, and he just from the minute that phone rang in the middle of the night to let you know there's been a murder, he would already be thinking about the crown's closing address in court two years down the road, and everything in between, and he could just see it all very very clearly. So he was very fortunate to be to be partnered with Mark for the first couple of years of my career, and I learned so much from him, and I always tried to glean a lot from different homicide officers that I worked with, much like even street level policing, right, there's those senior officers that you learn a lot from. And sometimes there's those senior officers who give you a bit of advice on yeah, I don't think so, right, And you get the same thing in homicide. And you know, the unit commanders that I worked for over the years in homicide really shaped me into the unit commander I eventually became a homicide Take all the good points that they passed on to you and some you know, discard some of the bad points and just learn a lot from it. But I also learned a ton from not only prosecutors and crown attorneys, but defense lawyers as well. Yes, defense lawyers were absolutely phenomenal. Just to sit and watch them and try and sit down and have a coffee and chat with them and try and learn as much as you can from them about the tactics they're using, the weaknesses that they see in the case after they've gone through it, any advice that they had. And some of my enduring friends after my police career are lawyers and defense lawyers, right, And which is ironic because you start your policing career and everybody hates defense lawyers because yeah, nobody likes a defense lawyer. But at that level, I think you'd be a foolish not to sit back once in a while and listen to them and learn a lot from them. Matter. I described a couple of them in the book as well, and what I learned from them.
Speaker 1: You've obviously paid your jews and you've you've been beat up in the witness box, no doubt by these good defense defense lawyers. And some of them I bump into and stay in contact with, some of them that I went up against that throughout my career, and I thank them because they made me a better detective because I thought I had thought I had cases rock solid, water tight. I'd step in the court with a bit of swagger and arrogance, and they just cut me down and Okay, okay, you've got to you've got to improve. And but that's that's what it's all about, isn't it. And you know, the the mentors that you talk about, I had one that was my meeting supervisor for probably ten years, so I've sat the two levels above where I started in homicide. But Paul Mega, and he'd been in homicide for years, and you know, I think over twenty years he'd spent in homicide by the time he retired. But he could be sitting there, he could be reading the newspaper at his desk, and we could be talking about a case that we've thought that, we've had the whiteboards out, we're doing this, we're doing that, and then we'd go speak to Paul and he'd put the paper down and have you considered doing this? And yeah, Again, that's where experience. You can't beat the experience that you get from homicide because he had been there, done that sceneate still had the passion, still had the energy for it, and just a wealth of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And it was a lot of fun sometimes to be that guy mentoring the younger folks. Right. Yeah. I really another story about, you know, a homicide sitting in my office and the homicide team that was on Kyle was sitting right outside my happy to be sitting right right outside my office door, and I hear the phone ring, and the detective sergeant is on the phone and I hear her chatting away for a few minutes, and then she pokes her head into my office and she says, we've got one. And I said, oh, yeah, what is it? And she says, Oh, guy at the bottom of the stairwell. He's got a bag over his head and he's handcuffed. And I just looked at her. I said, ash, suicide, right, and what are you talking about? How can that be a suicide? No, it is suicide. He's handcuffed, bying, he's back and I'm like, go do your investigation, let me know. And sure enough a few hours later, Yeah, how did you know that?
Speaker 1: It's just experience you've said that.
Speaker 2: I've seen it not uncommon for guys who want to suffocate themselves to train themselves behind the back so they can't take the mechanism off their head, right, So little things like that, it was always good to pass on some of that knowledge and some of that experience. That's just years of learning and experience.
Speaker 1: It definitely is. And I just and it jumped out in your book that you can't can't bypass that experience. Another thing that came out in your book. And I think there's this perception, but from all the interest in true crime, whether it's true crime documentaries or whether it's a scripted TV series, that they think the homicide detective is on this case and that's the only case they got, but it brought back and you made me feel tired just reading the times that you're on call. And when I stepped away from the cops that I'd been on call for over twenty years, and I didn't realize the impact it had on you. Like any moment you crawled into bed, you were thinking the phone's going to ring, I'm going to get dragged out into a crime scene or whatever. Explain from your point of view how many cases you actually juggle, and like when you're hot on a case, it might be the biggest case you've got, but you've still got on call respond onsibilities, and so you can be working a case all day, get home, about to put yourself to bed, and then you get a call and you're at a fresh homicide. Tell us about your experiences being on call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, there is absolutely nothing worse than getting that homicide on a Friday evening. It was great for overtime, but you'd be working all week, you know. And I usually used to get up a quarter after four every morning and go into work, and you'd be putting in your ten twelve hour days all week. You'd get home Friday evening, have some dinner, I think going to go to bed and the phone, the phone rings, and you're exhausted already, and now you've got to go and you know you're gonna be going twenty four hours probably thirty six hours minimum without any more sleep. So that takes a real toll on the body having to do that. But another thing I absolutely hated was you pick up a fresh homicide and you'd be there six eight hours and you're right in the thick of it, and all the information is flying at you from every direction, and if you've got some momentum and things are going really well, and then the phone rings and it's a tip from the last case that you did. Yes, right, that has to be action right now, and you're like, oh my god, Like, I've got so much on my plate right now, I've still got to deal with that as well. So you'd end up with two or three cases simultaneously that you're working on on zero sleep whatsoever. So that was always tough. As I got along in years, I always appreciated that Monday morning murder. Yeah right. The younger guys didn't like it because of the lack of overtime, but I was like, no, thank you, I'll take any Monday, murder any times. So you be on call constantly, going thirty six forty eight hours without any sleep. It's absolutely exhausting work, but that's really what you have to do, because you know, one of the phrases I always use was what did you know? When did you know it? And what did you do about it? And can you imagine ever standing up in court and saying, yeah, I got this piece of information that was crucial, What did you do about it? I went home and had an app Right, it just doesn't fly. It has to be action right away. So a lot of long hours, and it wasn't unusual for the homicide detectives in Toronto to be juggling about twelve thirteen cases a year, which is well above what the studies say you should be doing, which is about six or seven cases a year. So we were very well equipped to handle about seventy homits a year in Toronto personnel wise, but we regularly got quite a bit more than seventy. And that's when you would really see the burnout because you'd always be shorthanded as well and being on call. We ended up getting to a formal rotation business. But before when I first started, it was best team available. Yeah, so of course everyone would be scarce on Friday afternoon when the boss would be walking around saying who's available, who's ready to go? Right? But I don't think unless you doubled the size of the homicide squad that you'd be adequately staffed to run at a pick at a pace of six or seventy year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always juggling resources. And I'd pick up on what you said, and it came out in the book too, about the on call and the structure of on call. We actually, at one point in time, got the junior sergeants and constables together to speak to the bosses above that we wanted some structure to the on call because it got down to whoever was in the office, or it was let to get to whoever's in the office. My team, we were working a case from the homicide office, so whenever a fresh murder came in, people look around and you, oh, you guys, and we were just carrying so many cases. So we put in a structure so every six weeks, and it had to vary depending on what happened, every six weeks you'd be on call. And it gave you a little bit of control that you knew you could concentrate on a job for the next couple of weeks before before you were back on call. But yeah, it brought back memories. And I did have a laugh about you falling to sleep while driving. And we shouldn't laugh about this, and we should warn people not to do this at home. When you talk staying awake twenty four hours, thirty six hours, even forty eight hours, that does sometimes happen, and it's not happening because you're just trying to drag it on or you're being slow. If a job can be done. Homicides can be very dynamic in the way the way that you've got to respond, and sometimes you just can't step away from it because you're going to miss miss opportunities. But yeah, hearing about you nearly falling to sleep or nodding off as you're driving. I got called out on a Sunday night, I remember, up to the north coast of New South Wales, probably about six hours away from Sydney, and I went with another person on call. The person that was nominated to go with me he hadn't slept, I hadn't slept. Were both tied. I said, okay, I got this. I can drive for the first two hours, driving along, I'm starting the not off like that, and then Wayne I can mention his name, Wayne Hayes. He said, it's all right, I'll drive. You have arrest. So I'm in the passenger seat falling asleep. I wake up about ten or fifteen minutes later. He's driving, and it's in the middle of winter. He's got his head out the door, out the window, driving, trying to stay away while he's driving. And we made it. But yeah, I'm sure Hahaw wouldn't allow that type of thing anymore. But yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Toms know, we did the same thing and then literally head out the window in the middle of winter by Ottawa one time, just trying to stay awake and make it home. And you know, we had been going three and a half weeks solid on this murder case, you know, getting two or three hours sleep a night maybe, and then having to drive five hours up to Ottawa to do a search warrant and thinking, Okay, this will be fine, you know, we'll be we'll be heading back home again by nine or ten o'clock. But then our bad guy decided that was the one night he was going to stay out till two in the morning, so we had to wait till he came home before we did the warrant. And we weren't expecting to find anything. We just wanted to grab cell phones and stuff and head home. But sure enough, we found a gun in his house, so he had to be arrested brought in and it wasn't until five point thirty in the morning we started heading back to Toronto. And yeah, it was a horrible drive. It was cold, it was snowy, and there's a highway stretch that goes on for about an hour and a half before you hit the really big highway and I just woke up in the middle of that highway at a forty five degree angle and I said, okay, that's it. Roll down the window. Drive like that for the rest of the way until my partner woke up and took over the driving. But yeah, there are a few scary incidents in the car on the way home. Because Murphy Murphy's law, right, you think, okay, it's two in the morning, I'm going to head home and traffic should be awesome. I should be able to fly home. And yeah, there's been a big accident on the highway and you're sitting in the car try and stay awake in a traffic jam at two or three o'clock in the morning. That always happened.
Speaker 1: No, Well, it bought back to me the chaos and the yeah, the things that happen in homicide and sometimes you say you can't make this stuff up. That's the reality of the chaos that the world of homicide could be. I'd like to talk about some of your cases cases now, if that's it's all right, And each homicide is unique in their own way. You can have organized crime, or you could have a serial killer, domestic type murders, and they're all different in the way that you approach them. I'd like to talk about one of the cases. As you've got so many to talk about, I'll just pick a few. Mark Moore, I call him a serial killer, gangster convicted of for murders. Do you want to tell us a story about your involvement in that and what happened with Mark Moore?
Speaker 2: Now, Mark Moore was a fellow who shot and killed four different people during a seventy sixty period. In twenty ten, so he shot and killed a fellow named Jamiel Spent in a laneway in Toronto September fifteenth, twenty ten, and then a couple of weeks later he shot and killed two young fellows, Courtney Facy and Mike James again in a laneway in Toronto, and those two cases were actually handled by other homicide investigators, And it wasn't until November twenty fourth of twenty ten when he shot and killed a fellow named Carl Cole, and I ended up picking up that case and the rationale behind him killing these fellows. Jamille Spence was walking down a laneway in a neighborhood that mister Moore didn't like because some guys from that neighborhood had beat up his younger brother about a month earlier, so he just went into the neighborhood. First p he saw, he shot and killed them, and then Courtney Facing and Mike James, the double murderer again. He was in a bad mood. One night, he's driving around with some buddies. They happened to be across the street from an apartment building where Moore himself had previously been shot. So he drives up to them, rolls down his window and shoots and kills both of them, and then Carl Cole, you know, a month and a half later, again back in that same neighborhood where Jamille Spence was killed. We think there was some previous interactions between Moore and Cole, but again he just in the back parking lot of an apartment building. He shot him twenty three times, ended up hitting him actually seventeen or nineteen times, but he used two different guns to do it. And because there was this very minor previous relationship between the two of them, when we got moore cellular phone, we got Carl Cole's cellul the phone records, we found Moore's number on there and he had been in contact with them the day of the murder. So we started trying to figure out why he was in contact with him, and it wasn't until a couple of months later where forensics came to us and said all four of these murders same handgun, okay. So that really started the ball rolling and we focused in on Moore and it was March tenth of two thousand and eleven and we were really starting to take a good hard look at him, and he decided to shoot up a nightclub in downtown Toronto. So he got arrested for that, and he was actually in custody for most of twenty eleven awaiting trial on that. And we had wire taps up.
Speaker 1: There was that gun that he shut up the nightclub. Was that link ballistically to the murders.
Speaker 2: It was linked ballistically to the last murder. His two guns of the last right, So he ran out of ammal on the nine millimeter he used for all four murders. So he pulled out his forty five and finished off Carl Cole and then he used the same forty five. So I said to the bosses, we'll take all four of the homicides. We'll work all four of the homicides. And then an analyst came to me and she said, well, it looks like in the summer of twenty ten he did all these other shootings, but none of them became murders. One was a armed robbery of a Drewy store. One was a shot fired into his girlfriend's front door. Another one was shots fired into one of his drug clients front door. Another one was shots fired into the back door of a residence where his daughter and her mother lived. There were long since strange but he had a domestic with his daughter's mother and then went back that night and shot the place up knowing his daughter was inside. Right, So, just an absolute animal, and we had a pretty good circumstantial case on him, but we put wire taps up because we had a lot of uncooperative witnesses and we really wanted to get them talking on the phones because they knew who had done the shootings and whatnot. So we got all that on the phones. We got a lot of gravy as well from him and chatting on the phones from the jailhouse, and finally in October of twenty eleven, we arrested and charged him with the murders. We arrested and charged his gun supplier with trafficking the firearms. We arrested and charged the fellow who was supplying the gun supplier. We arrested and charged Moore's girlfriend for some accessory charges and obstruct charges, his mother for accessory and obstruct charges. One of his buddies that he did the jury store robbery with, we rested and charged him, And we rested and charged that buddy's girlfriend with being the getaway driver for that armed robbery. So it was a huge investigation and ended up playing fifty four charges on Moore, including those four first degree murder charges, and then all the charges on everybody else, and we convicted everybody of everything.
Speaker 1: Well done.
Speaker 2: There was no fluff there in any of those charges. And it was a great, great case and very interesting in court because of course you go to court and you're having a trial for a fellow charging with four counts of murder. So you see the look on the faces of the jury members, very stressful for them. They're like, oh my gosh, this is a huge case, like we've got this man's life in our hands. And that lasted about two or th three days.
Speaker 1: They got a sense into a trial.
Speaker 2: Before they're like, yeah, okay, he did it right. This is actually not going to be that difficult. So we still ran that trial. I believe it was well five weeks of running that trial, and like you said earlier, me in the witness box for days on end, having a very good defense lawyer go at me. But at the end of the day it just became a real no brain or anythink for the jury. And I guess it convicted everybody of everything, so that's good.
Speaker 1: And I also what I find in organized crime murders like that, and you rattled off all the people on the proof of of the crime that you charge. When you start investigating a serious crime like four first degree murders and then you look at the criminality surrounding that. I always think it's a good strategy to go hard on everyone involved in it, and that puts pressure on And I'm not sure in your case, but I've had cases where doing that people will end up rolling over giving evidence for the crown because of the nature of the charges they've got. It also came out in what I read about that in the book and other cases, because you've got so many, so many cases. When you do have the wire taps, we call them telephone in the steps or listening devices here, but we're talking wire taps, covet electronic surveillance. When you're looking at organized crime, that can be a pain too, because they're always up to something else. They're going to do a hit, they're going to bash someone, and you get a call at two am in the morning and it's come over the phone that's been monitoring live. Hey, your target's going out to bash someone, or your target wants the informant to go bash someone what you want us to do. You've got to make a lot of judgment calls on that. Did you encounter that throughout your career, even this case or other cases where you had to make hard calls when you were listening to covertly what the crooks were planning.
Speaker 2: All the time. And that was one of the things about that moor Keys was he was in jail, but we're listening to so many other criminals who were involved in that gang lifestyle that it was NonStop. We had to have assets in place ready to go at the drop of a hat. And there was one incident where his gun dealer was going to traffic a firearm and we called up our Guns and Gangs unit and they were like, yeah, you know, sorry, we're too busy tonight. We can't help out. And so we lost that gun and the deputy chief found out about it and he just lost his mind on the guns and gangs guys, and he said, well, guess what, guys, drop everything and you go get that gun back. And it took them a couple of weeks. They had to chase where that gun had gone after they lost it, and they eventually did get it back, but a few people who aren't police officers have commented to me after reading the book that, Wow, I can't believe how labor intensive those wire taps are and how much liability there is. That you can't let anything go. I said, no to compromises public safety. Even if it blows your wire tap, you've got to do something about it. Right, So we've gotten very good at mitigating a lot of the risks, and you know, doing some unique investigative tactics. You know, to get a gun, but not let them know that you've gotten that gun. Right, if they've stashed it somewhere, you know where it is, Okay, I'm going to go get it, but they're not going to know that it was a police who were going to go get it. So that happened all the time. And wire taps, you know, up here, they're usually good for sixty days. And I always said to my wife, don't make any plans for the next sixty days. And usually you would get an extension and they'd run one hundred and twenty days. But you knew, don't make any plans for the next one hundred and twenty days because it's NonStop from the minute you flip those switches and start listening. It's a huge, huge undertaking.
Speaker 1: And it's something that you pointed out. The public don't appreciate what goes on behind there. But I know what you're talking about and how creative you have to be to mitigate the risk and to the satisfaction of everyone. I had one operation running where I already briefed the what's the equivalent of your swat team, our technical operations unit, so they knew the target. So at two o'clock in the morning, I didn't have to do a full briefing again. I briefed everyone this is likely to happen, and yeah, things happened, and we were physical surveillance looking at them, planning contract killings, and there was one that one that was missed, and I get dragged into the boss's office and go, well, how has this happened? And I said, well, you know, a couple of months ago, I was telling you we're targeting a contract killer. I need more resources because we believe he is going to kill someone. And surprise, surprise, the person did kill someone. But you know, I always believed in keeping good records so you can justify your decisions because you don't want to three years down the track be explaining, oh, why did you let this happen? Why did you let that happen? And yeah, it could be justifiable what we did, but it brought back the pressures. The other things in those type of crimes, the organized crime ones, dealing with informants and have you had some interesting informant times dealing with informants because I think their credibility starts at ground zero. That's the way I've dealt with informants, and the exchange of information is one way. I don't give them information. I want information from them and I try to find out their motive because they can bring you unstuck. As much as they can help you, they can also bring you unstuck in in the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always very tricky deally with informants. And you know the subtle differences and sometimes not so subtle differences between informants and agents. You probably have the same issues down there, and the number of time police officers, without that knowledge, extend confidentiality and informer privilege to people who are actually witnesses who you can't give them confidentiality, and that bites us in the butt every single time. So I dealt with that constantly in homicide work and trying to correct some of that in homicide work. But you know, I think the interesting informant story in the book is the informant in Switzerland who passed on information about a cannibal ring being responsible for or one of the missing men in Toronto's Gay village. And you know, you get that call and you shake your head and you think, yeah, right, and then the Swiss authorities say, well, the last time this guy gave a similar information, it was for a cannibal in Slovakia and he ended up getting killed in a shootout with the responding officers, and they found two partially consumed corpses on his property and link him to twenty four more people. And you're like, oh, okay, sounds pretty promising then, But the problem being you've got somebody who's classified by Swiss authorities as an informant, but he's actually privy to a confession from a suspect. So in Canada there's no way he would be given informant privilege. So trying to iron that out through our different government agencies to the point where we could go to Switzerland and interview him as a witness. Yeah, and still try and keep him confident until there's a court proceeding, and thankfully from that perspective, there wasn't, and he ended up outing himself and writing a book and doing a news special on himself. But it's really that was a unique situation where Okay, he wouldn't be an informant in Canada, but he apparently is an informant in Switzerland. What do we do here? Nobody knows because nobody had dealt with it before it, right, So we bottled our way through that.
Speaker 1: And they're time consuming and on that informant, I want to talk more about that case or how it flowed on from the start of the Cannibal information, which is, yeah, you think you've seen everything in police and then you get that and you think, okay, this is taking a bit further. But yeah, dealing with informants, I had some success on some big organized crime murders and the strength of the informants. A lot of the cases were built on the informants at the time, and this was over a ten year period. I was getting frustrated about the amount of accountability for the informant. Every time I spoke to the informant who might find me three or four times a night in the middle of the night and have to document that that's contact. But I saw the benefits of it, and I was thankful that I was pushed to keep such thorough records and that the people I was working with keept such thorough records because when it came to court, the barristers and very experienced barristers, thought they were going to have a field day. This blait was a criminal, he'd done time in prison, he'd done everything wrong and in organized crime, bicky gangs, that type of stuff, and the defense barristers thought that they would carve him apart and then delve into the relationship between this person and the police, and you know, was he being paid money? Did you give him a help in a court matter that he came up? And we could justify every single thing we did in dealing with that informant, and it was over years, so we had to be meticular in the way that we kept the records. But it was so worth it when we got to court, because the defense strategy was to discredit the informant and then the case will fall apart, but they couldn't because of the records that were kept and the way we manage it. But it was a lesson and yeah, we had a lot of trouble in New South Wales Police. There was a raw commission into the corruption in New South Wales Police in the I think it was the early early nineties, and a lot of that was about the relationship between detectives and informants, how the areas were blurred and that if you want to get into trouble, that was the way to get into trouble as a detective, when you drop your guard down dealing with informants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the same thing here. We've got a very very good system that was developed probably in the mid nineteen nineties as well, and all the informants are handled by a central office and it's usually the young coppers on the street who end up getting themselves in trouble because they are on all the proper way to hand unal informants and very high risk area to be involved in. It's always nice, isn't it when you walk into court and you know it's going to be a battle, but you've dotted the eyes and you've crossed the t's and yeah, you're not perfect, but you can justify everything you've done and why you've done it and have at it. You know. The most experienced homicide detective in Toronto a fellow named Gary Drew, who worked homicide, I believe for twenty two years and loved court. He loved running trials in court. Right. A lot of people get tired of it, including me after a ten or twelve years of doing it, but Gary just loved doing it and highly respected and he knew every time he went to court and he'd be getting in the witness box, he was going to get grilled and defense lawyers are going to go after him with everything they got. But he was like, yeah, that kind of goes with the territory. And you know, if they find I've made a mistake somewhere. They found I made a mistake somewhere, that's that's their job. But I've done everything to the best of my ability, and I think I've done everything completely properly, and even after twenty two years, they're still going to go after me. So it's kind of part of the whole job and the whole game.
Speaker 1: And again that takes experience. And with the experience you've gotten that Gary's got that, you understand that because I had and I was probably the same when you've done nothing wrong, you've done everything that you should do, and you go to court and you just get ripped apart and accused of this and accused of that. And I've had young detectives get out of the witness box and that's not fair, that's outrageous, and take it very personally, and I try to explain as it was explained to me. It doesn't matter if you do everything right, you're still going to get attacked. That's what happens in court. But yeah, it's the experience that comes through. And with the informants just finishing up dealing with informants, they can be very charismatic to like some of the informants I've dealt with, like people are starstruck by them. And you know, you've got hardened, experienced detectives and this person's holding telling the story and it's very easy to get called into called into the charisma of the life that they've lived, and you've got to be careful, careful about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially jail house informants, Right, they've always got an ulterior motive. They've been through this probably more times than you have, and they're going to try and play you almost every single time. So using jailhouse informants up here is very, very strictly controlled. And you know, I tell the story in the book about the one jailhouse informant and he was trying to play two different police services at the same time on different bases to get himself some consideration. And then, you know, and I learned a lot from Mark Saunders about dealing with somebody like that. And when it came my and where I was a senior guy and had a young detective and he's like, I've got this guy calling from jail and he wants to tell us about this murder case. And I was like, okay, I know it sounds great. I know you want to run down there right now and take that statement. But let's just cool it here. And he's going to get out in three weeks anyway, if his intentions are really good, tell him to call us in three weeks. And sure enough, that's what he did. He got released, and he still came to us three weeks later. He said, Okay, I'm no longer a jail house informant. I'm a witness and there's not asking for any favors, any considerations, anything like that I'll still tell you what this guy told me in the jail cell, right so, and there was no question at all. We still had to run it through the jailhouse Informant committee at court, but they put it right through and he was a terrific witness for us. So you have to be really careful with these guys.
Speaker 1: Like I said, very careful. And that's where I look at the motive in that I had a jile house informant that came forward because of the nature it was a child murder, nature of the murder, and that's why he was giving evidence. And I made a point and dealt with in four years. Your any credibility here is if you're genuine in what you're saying. So when you get yourself into trouble and you will get yourself into trouble again, I'm not coming there to help you, because if we do go to court on this matter, I want to be able to say, hand on heart, I haven't helped you at all. You've done this from the reason you told me right at the start, And there was pushing and shoving because he was getting into trouble constantly, and I just said, no, I told you the information you provided. I'm not going to give you assistance if you choose not to give evidence for this case. Now, fine, but that's the way and it carried through and it was worth doing it. Let's have a break now we will. Well, I want to talk about and yeah, you do come up with some heavy story. Is the serial killer Bruce McArthur. Will let you tell the story of that, because I think that's fascinating. He was just a sadistic grub that ended up. Was there eight people that were convicted of eight murders and I found it fascinating. I'll let you tell our listeners of the potential last victim, how close that the last victim came to being another victim. I'll get your thoughts on other things homicide, and I've because I enjoyed reading your book so much, I've got a little section here just making a note that the Hank's homicide life hacks some of the thoughts that you talked about in the way homicide. Just to let you in on the importance of turning up of the crime scene. I want to discuss some of those things because I like the way you look at homicide and approach it. So how about we take a short break, and when we come back, we'll delve more into the world of homicide.
Speaker 2: Town's good. Thanks Gary, cheers, N The Land Could Die