Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Kristanamie. It's Wednesday, January twenty one, twenty twenty six. Anti Israel author Randa Abdelphatar has scrubbed her social media profiles of provocative posts. That includes a profile picture showing a Palestinian paraglider, which she says she only posted because she wasn't aware how many people had been killed by HERMAS militants on October seven, twenty twenty three, but an investigation by The Australian shows Abdelphatar used the profile picture for at least five months after the attack where Harmas militants paraglided over the border into southern Israel and slaughtered and kidnapped more than twelve hundred Jews. That story is live right now at the Australian dot com dot au. Donald Trump has doubled down on his plan to acquire Greenland by any means necessary. The President claims the United States needs to buy or take the Danish territory to stop China or Russia from moving in, but has the deal maker in chief backed a loser. Today, Washington correspondent Joe Kelly joins me to crunch the numbers. Donald Trump wants Greenland.
Speaker 2: President Trump not backing down from his push to take over Greenland.
Speaker 1: Tensions arising as European allies joined together to blast President Trump.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump denouncing Britain and calling Keirstom's plant great stupidity.
Speaker 1: He really really wants Greenland.
Speaker 2: I would like to make a deal, you know, the easy way. But if we don't do it the easier way, we're going to do it the hard way.
Speaker 1: The US president says, America needs to acquire the Danish territory for national security purposes.
Speaker 2: And we'll have to defend Greenland if we don't do it, or Russia will.
Speaker 1: And he'll do anything to get it.
Speaker 2: President Donald Trump using the power of tariffs to try and get his way Greenland with military force on the table. This is really an extraordinary situation that we're in right now.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is The Australian's Washington correspondent.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone reasonably twelve months ago would have thought that we'd be right here. And essentially Europe now not only has to contend with Russia, but really the key issue it has to contend with right now is economic coercion from an ally and really the central plank of the NATO alliance in the form of the United States. So we're really in new territory here. And I would argue there are very compelling reasons to think that the United States under Donald Trump is really unpicking the foundations of that post World War two international order.
Speaker 1: So is this actually a good deal?
Speaker 2: The short answer is no, Chris, and I think it's a bad deal. In fact, I don't think it makes very much sense at all, whether you're talking about strategically or economically. I just think it's a bad deal. So the first thing is it's expensive. There's a variety of different estimates. On the high side, there are estimates over a trillion dollars. On the low side, people are talking about two hundred and fifty billion dollars, but some of the estimates in the middle are about six hundred billion, seven hundred billion, seven hundred and fifty billion. That's a lot of money that's going to increase the debt. It's going to increase annual deficits, it's going to increase interest payments for the US, and it's really going to put a squeeze on average every day Americans, and I don't think they get very much in return. They don't get very much in return because strategically, the United States doesn't need to own Greenland. Strategically, there's a defense agreement signed back in nineteen fifty one. They can have bases there, it would just require them to cooperate. So I think it's a bad deal in economic terms, and worst of all, it invites retaliation from Europe, and it destroys the Transatlantic partnership, which has been really so crucial in preserving stability in Europe for so long. I think we're really on the precipice of something big, something unpredictable, and we're only one year in to Trump's four year term.
Speaker 1: Ambassadors from twenty seven European Union member nations met in Brussels this week thrash out their response to Trump's tariff threats and the more concerning possibility he'll deploy the US military to the Danish territory. Danish Foreign Minister Lars Luka Rasmussen was clear, but yours are meeted crystal clear that this is a red line, while British PM Kirstarmer said Trump's tariff threats are a betrayal. The use of tariffs against allies is completely wrong. A further face to face meeting of European leaders has been slated for Thursday.
Speaker 2: So this is going to be a really tricky decision how Europe responds. Europe is big, There's a whole range of different countries and they're not going to agree. Some are going to be more inclined to try and keep the US on side, Some are going to be more inclined to try and do something. There are going to be different positions, but in terms of what options are available to them at the moment, the EU has not yet ratified the trade deal that had struck with Donald Trump, so they can pull that ratification. That means the US doesn't get the lower tariffs that it was hoping. The other thing is they can put on their own retaliatory tariffs on over one hundred billion dollars worth of US goods. But one of the options that French President Emmanuel Macron has floated is the idea of this anti coercion instrument, and this is referred to as the trade bazooka, and effectively that gives the EU a range of different options. More forceful export controls to put tariffs on services, restrict intellectual property rights, and a suite of other measures. Now, going one step beyond that, there is the possibility, very unlikely this would be a nuclear option if Europe decided to do it in offloading US treasuries. Now that won't happen because that inflicts harm on Europe, but it holds an all for a lot of US treasuries. The US is vulnerable in that regard. The fact that we're discussing some of these options, I think, however, is extraordinary and it shows the strain, the pressure that's been put on this transatlantic partnership, and really the fact that we're now in uncharted territory.
Speaker 1: So this isn't, as you said, a great deal economically, it's not strategically necessary. So what is actually driving Donald Trump in this issue? As much as you can try to glean what's driving Donald Trump at any given time.
Speaker 2: I think Donald Trump has a throwback view of the world that the post World War two order really has not worked to the advantage of America. That America has suffered has been ripped off as a result of this system. It's carried burdens on behalf of other countries, allies and partners, and it shouldn't have to do that. He doesn't think it's benefited the United States. He's got really a nineteenth century view of the world. We're going back here to the Monroe doctrine, the idea that the United States should really worry about its piece of the globe and the other big powers can worry about their piece of the globe. So if you look at what he's doing through that lens, things seem to make more sense. The adventurism in Venezuela, the capture of Maduro, really the exercise in resource colonialism in Venezuela, trying to get indefinite control over its oil sector, encouraging the big US oil companies to go in. And now this look towards Greenland. I think Trump would like to have a legacy that he expanded the geographical territory of the United States. So he'd be looking at things like the Louisiana purchase back in eighteen o three, which is an enormous purchase of land on the western side of the Mississippi, and he'd be looking to carve out a legacy on that scale. And this is how he sees it being able to be realized.
Speaker 1: Coming up, what American voters think about Donald Trump's ambitions in Europe. You mentioned earlier that everyday Americans don't get a huge amount of anything out of a deal like this if it does proceed. Donald Trump, of course, campaigned on a platform of bringing manufacturing back to America, making groceries cheaper, ultimately making life easier for Americans. Are voters behind this push to acquire Greenland and are they even aware of the possible implications for them if it does go ahead.
Speaker 2: I think Donald trump'sen risky political territory. He campaigned on the idea of ending these sorts of foreign interventions forever wars, and already his mega political constituency is fracturing. We've seen that over a range of issues from foreign affairs to politics, but we are now seeing a range of more aggressive foreign policy decisions being made by a president who's really under pressure over his domestic agenda. People are still concerned that the cost of living hasn't come down enough. That was one of the key things the president campaigned on and the lead up to his election in twenty twenty four, and now we're seeing a focus on ven aswell. Removing dictators from power, possible strikes and interventions in Iran. He already bombed the nuclear enrichment sites last year and now these threats over Greenland. So I think he needs to be very careful that he doesn't further lose support among his Maga constituency, who, for the most part, were concerned about these sorts of foreign escapades.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is The Australian's Washington correspondent. You can read all the latest on Greenland right now at the Australian dot com dot au