Speaker 1: Appod Shape Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Mad Mom?
Speaker 2: Podcast?
Speaker 1: It blows my mind when I think about when we started this podcast, because now I've got sixteen year olds.
Speaker 3: I sent some photos to you because you were like, hey, have you got any recent pics of us? And I then was like looking through the folder, and you know when you go back through the folder, and then I go to like, I think it was like the original photo shoot that we did for this particular podcast, and your girls were so small and mine were even smaller, like Elsie was tiny on my sitting on my lap.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. Yeah, now you got grown ups that are taller than you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and what's funny is when you think about you that age, because I'm like, wow, at that age, I was practically an adult sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I look at your girls and they're doing stuff as well like that, I go, stop growing up so fast, like I always say to my girls, and go, you don't want to grow up faster than you have to. Trust me, being an adult is really not that much fun. It's not And for everyone, just chill, just enjoy the ride right now, because you've got it so goddamn easy.
Speaker 2: You actually don't know how easy you got it.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, they've got big emotions, they've got big feelings, and I'm trying to be respectful to that because what seems really small to me is so big for them.
Speaker 2: Do you know it's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Someone said to me the other day that it is an actual thing that teenagers. You think you're going to get to teenagers and then not going to need you anymore. He need you more than younger kids.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I do say about a bit now. I go. I actually thought life was really hard.
Speaker 3: Like looking at that photo, I can imagine like my thought process would have been, oh my gosh, I've got two girls under six, Like this is hectic years, this is so busy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's gonna be all different when they go to school. Katie, I don't have a life. I don't have a life.
Speaker 3: All I do is drive those girls from pillar to post and do everything that they need to be doing.
Speaker 1: I would say that moms. I know, we wear a lot of hats, and the two that the kids use us for the most is bank manager.
Speaker 2: Uber. Yes.
Speaker 1: They call me or text me yeah for either money yeah or picking them up yeah.
Speaker 2: Not mum, how are you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Never? Never?
Speaker 1: How is your day?
Speaker 2: Ever? Am I a bad mum for not speaking up?
Speaker 3: I hesitated about talking about this one, but I'm gonna because there was a part of me, Katie that was a little bit sad that I didn't speak up. Went and took my girl to Grace Abrams.
Speaker 2: Did I get that right? Yeah, she's sing a song. She's just sing a songwriter. I only came out and COVID.
Speaker 3: She's like literally made it happen since COVID, she said, yeah.
Speaker 1: Her dad is a producer, Yeah, producer, yeah, jj Abrams.
Speaker 3: Her music is beautiful though, and her voice is stunning, but she's just naturally beautiful.
Speaker 2: She's not all dolled up.
Speaker 3: She's not trying to be anyone, you know what I mean. Like that really came through with the way that she was singing. Now, for my girls being ten and twelve, it's quite refreshing to see this place was packed.
Speaker 2: I thought of your girls and in that middle wash they were all touching so closely. I was like, that is not for me. The girls are yeah, your girls are at the front. That was definitely not for me.
Speaker 3: But we were on the side and we were sort of closer to the front, so we had really good seats. Right now, there's a back row behind me, and I had two girls behind me. I sat on one end, then there was Gracey, Evie Elsie, and then Christie was on the other end.
Speaker 2: But these two particular girls were right behind me. It would have been no.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say between twenty and twenty five. They're obviously just hating on life. And you know when people start to make comments that are loud enough and are obnoxious enough to say, but like if I turned around and said, he you talking to me directly, that they would probably go, what are you talking about? There was about four different parts of my brain working all at once, and I was starting to like so she started off saying, like, because the girls were yelling out to Gracie like the rest of fucking boondle. She goes, I wish these kids would just learn to shut the fuck up. And I was thinking, Oh, my gosh, you're talking about us, the.
Speaker 1: Kids excited to see a concert.
Speaker 3: Right There was just constant comments coming out Katie, And you know, I think you just know. The gut feeling goes, I know you're talking about us and the girls were yelling out to her.
Speaker 2: Elsie at this particular one moment screens.
Speaker 3: Out Gracie really love you, and Gracie turns and waves like it was a direct moment where we all went I think she just waved to you will. It got worse after that. The girls behind me just kept on going. She goes, I can't stand any of these irresponsible, fucking parents bringing these kids to these concerts.
Speaker 2: Going off Katie right like, I.
Speaker 3: Had a full body response. It went from top to bottom. So then in one time of my brain, I'm going, don't say anything, Rachel, You're responsible mom. You've got your kids sitting right next to you. Be a good example. Like talking myself off the edge, I'm talking the other side of my brain. Katie was from like that movie Elemental the Fire, like the rage that just keeps raging, Like it was flicking from one side of my brain to the other. Don't turn around, Like at one stage, I'm pretty sure in my head I was like, I'm going to turn around, and I was almost picturing myself turning around and like punching her in the head. That's how much she'd pushed me over the edge because of what she was saying about a my parenting and be my children.
Speaker 1: Why would you sit there and say it that loudly though?
Speaker 2: Because she wanted me to hear.
Speaker 3: And then when she went to my parenting and like irresponsible fucking parents, and I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Look around you.
Speaker 3: Look around you. This place is full of this demographic full you. Yeah, you are the one that is a minority right now. Look around us, Like there's little girls like between ten and sixteen crying their eyes out.
Speaker 2: Because I was so excited to be seeing her.
Speaker 3: What was irresponsible because we hadn't taught this is what she said word for word. These irresponsible parents haven't taught these young kids that they've decided to bring any concert etiquette constant etiquette. Oh interesting, all right, well do you want to talk about concert etiquette and your potty mouth in front of my children?
Speaker 2: Where's your etiquette as a human being?
Speaker 1: That's irresponsible.
Speaker 3: I'd gone from rage. I went into calm down, you're a mom, you're this. I could have ramped up completely going the other way. I could have made an absolute dick of myself, but I was just like, no, no, no, no, stay in mum mode, Stay in.
Speaker 2: Mummoes rise to the bay in mum mode.
Speaker 3: You know how they say you can't bottle up your emotions when you start to feel that, you have to feel the feeling.
Speaker 2: And then I started to just write it down. I was so angry.
Speaker 3: I was like putting in my phone and then all of a sudden I sent it to Christy and was like, if you see me turn around and brawl in a second, can you just make sure I don't just pull me off, like, don't let it happen. I'm at that edge. I'd say I'm probably at ninety nine percentes. She turns to me, but remember there's three kids between us, so she's now face seeing them. She goes what She's like, who the fuck's saying that like that? She's looking back at them, and I was like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: That was wrong. I had that moment of going, should I have just spoken up?
Speaker 3: Should I have turned around and stuck up for my kids and gone, excuse me, don't speak like that.
Speaker 1: It would have been so interesting to know what would have happened if you had just turned around and gone, excuse me, you're talking about us? Yeah, And then I guarantee she would have gone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I just wanted.
Speaker 3: To turn around and then this is probably the sarcastic part of me.
Speaker 2: I wanted to turn around and just say to it. Did you miss out on your childhood? Do you want to talk about your childhood? Are you really sad? Going on with you? What's up with you? Are you okay? Was your ten year old girl self?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is she feeling a little bit unloved right now?
Speaker 3: Because we're a really good parent because we brought our kids to this sort of stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What kind of trauma is this bringing up for you? But I did it.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: It's good for you. I didn't say anything.
Speaker 3: But then for the next day and a half, I was like, did you not stand up for your kids because you didn't say anything?
Speaker 1: Like, no, you didn't say anything because you didn't want to call the scene. And I would actually say the other way, you were being a good parent, that you were ignoring it so that they could still enjoy the experience because they probably didn't notice.
Speaker 2: They didn't know a thing what she was oblivious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you allowed them to enjoy the concerts and have a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was responsible, Mum. You were responsible. Wasn't a bad mum?
Speaker 3: No, I wanted to be a bad I wanted to really just.
Speaker 2: I also would
Speaker 1: Have quite enjoyed hearing about