Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, December four, twenty twenty five. The superstar of Japanese pop a Yumi Hamasaki, is the latest victim of a geopolitical dispute that's flaring big time. It's China versus Japan, and it's all about China's number one issue, the future of Taiwan. Now Australia is under pressure to choose a side. That's today's story.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, bye, bye bye.
Speaker 1: This is a Yumi Hamasaki, a forty seven year old superstar. She's Japan's best selling singer. Her nickname is the Empress of Hamasaki, who's Kylie Minogue level famous throughout the region. Was gearing up for a big show in Shanghai when suddenly Chinese authorities said fans weren't allowed to attend, so.
Speaker 3: She's due to play, and then the day before her fourteen thousand fans who sold out at the whole venue before they turned up, the concert was abruptly canceled, or at least canceled to the public.
Speaker 1: Will Glasgow is The Australian's North Asia correspondent.
Speaker 3: Now that Chinese officials have claimed force majeur. They don't explicitly say what has happened, but of course the reason Chinese officials, trying to make a point, have canceled this because they think it's inappropriate for a Japanese pop star to be entertaining Chinese audiences during this moment of unhappiness.
Speaker 2: Recently, the concert of Japanese pop star Ayumi Hamasaki in Shanghai was unexpectedly canceled. As a result, she performed the entire show in front of an empty audience.
Speaker 4: The fans basically just went to continue to support Aymihamazaki, who have decided to continue the performance in the empty stadium.
Speaker 1: The Chinese Communist Party is absolutely furious with Japan's new Prime minister, Sanai Takaichi.
Speaker 4: Japanese Prime Minister Sanai Takeichi has drawn criticism from China this week after suggesting Japan could respond with force to a hypothetical Chinese attack on Taiwan.
Speaker 1: That's the CCP's red line. It already regards Japan with suspicion and hostility and takes every opportunity to mention that time Japan teamed up with Adolf Hitler and tried to take over the world since World War Two. Japan's not engaged in any armed conflicts, but Takaichi's very deliberate use of words indicated if China attacks Taiwan, Japan's back in the game, it would be justified in taking military action as an act of self defense. In response, the Chinese Communist Party is taking revenge by using its complete control of Chinese society and the economy severely curtailing Chinese citizens' access to Japanese exports, including pop music.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the lines the Chinese government has maintained throughout this is that the Chinese public so angry themselves about what the Japanese Prime minister said that they themselves are going to boycott Japanese products. The Chinese Communist Party acts as if it's the sort of natural backlash amongst the Chinese people. And look, it is the case that there are some angry nationalists, some angry Chinese nationalists, but it's also the case that there's loads of people in China who continue to like the Japanese pop stars I liked before, They still like sushi, would like to travel to Japan if their government wouldn't block them, So that canceled concert is a really striking example of the Chinese Communist Party making decisions for its own people to boycott things. We saw this in Australia in a massive way back in twenty twenty when the Chinese ambassadors said it'd interview that was threatening the economic coercion that was going to come, and he said maybe the Chinese people wouldn't want to buy Australian beef or drink Australian wine. Well, the truth was the Chinese people never got to say in that the Beijing put a huge political, politically motivated tariff on Australian wine into China, so it was just priced out of the market. And it's the same kind of idea Beijing claiming that it's the public that's boycott these products, where it's actually it's the government making these decisions.
Speaker 1: What is Japan's position on China and on Taiwan.
Speaker 3: Japan's got a really complicated and long history with Taiwan, and it's very well remembered in China. Taiwan was a Japanese colony. It was the model Japanese colonies. So Taiwan or Tokyo ruled Taiwan from eighteen ninety five to the end of World War Two nineteen forty five, so fifty year period, and there was some horrendous colonies Japan had around Asia, particularly South Korea or what's now to South Korea, was just ravaged by the Japanese treated appallingly, and within China itself, particularly in the northeast and what the Japanese called Manchuria. So the memory on the mainland of Japan and Imperial Japan is of this Nightmaris force, whereas in Taiwan it's much more complicated. Taiwan was set up as again, as I said, a model colony for Japan, and the Japanese wanted to use it to show they were an equal of any Western power. They weren't to be colonized. They were like the British and German and other European colonial powers, and they wanted to show in Taiwan what they could do. So they left a big legacy of urban infrastructure. They sort of paid the roads, and you know, it sounds a bit like the Monty Python sketch. You know, they've got the Romans did for them, right, But it's actually is remembered in Taiwan that people, you know, literacy rates skyrocketed under the Japanese. Sewage systems were installed, roads were installed, all this kind of thing. Up until the end of World War Two, China's ruled by the Nationalists the cormntane. Now, when the Civil war breaks out after the end of World War Two in nineteen forty five, at that point, Taiwan goes from being a Japanese colony to being ruled by the Republic of China. But within four years the Communists win the civil war. The Nationalist army retreats across the strait to Taiwan, and so for them, initially Taiwan is a base where Jiang Kai Chek is going to use to reclaim the mainland. For the people in Taiwan, their experience was World War II ended and they thought, ah, finally we're free of the Japanese, were free of our colonial overlord. We can be independent. But then in arrives this new force. And originally they were welcomed the Nationalists in nineteen forty five, but it wasn't long before the Nationalist army was imposing itself free violently on the Taiwanese. In came millions, literally millions of kmt Cormantang soldiers into Taiwan and then they dominated and ruled the society in a very authoritarian way right until the late nineteen eighties. So it's really complicated history, but it means that for people in Taiwan, even how Japan's seen, how the Communist Party is seen, depends so much on were you in Taiwan when the nationalist forces came in nineteen forty five and then searched in nineteen forty nine, or were you one of those who came from the mainland and from the Chinese Communist Party perspective, Taiwan is this base where their enemies fled, and it's this unfinished piece from the Civil War. So there's so much complicated history and some very raw emotions still about all this stuff. Like Australia and almost every other country, Taiwan has unofficial relations with Tokyo. Japan doesn't officially recognize it as an independent state. It recognizes Beijing. But there's real, I mean they call it people to people links, but in the Japanese Taiwan case, it's way more than that. There's I mean society to society, political party to political party. Partly because the Japanese ruled the place for fifty years.
Speaker 1: Coming up, how Donald Trump fits in and what Australia is supposed to be doing. The Australians published an opinion piece by the former Japanese Ambassador to Australia, Shingo Yamagami, in which he's very directly accusing Australia of not doing enough to support Japan as it tries to assert itself against China, particularly over this issue of Taiwan. This is all very delicate, and the Chinese regard any kind of mention of Taiwan as deeply provocative. What's Japan's kind of endgame here? And how could Australia possibly assist without making things kind of even more hot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean it's a very interesting contribution from the former ambassador, and he's right that when he was the Japan's ambassador to Australia, I mean, he was really unusually vocal in his support for the Morrison government then and for Australia as it was being coerced by China. So he's saying, I mean, you could say, not unreasonably Japan stood up for Australia. Where are you now, Beijing? When it gets in these moods when it's being you know, waging a campaign of vengeance, you get involved or support in some ways that you're peril. Right, you can invite that same they sort of extend these economic coercion campaigns to others. I mean, I think, what's not helping Australia or any other country? And this is the Americans, right, Donald Trump, the American President, you know, one of the few figures in the international system who's got the power behind him to speak clearly to China on this kind of thing. He said nothing publicly to support Japan or even indicate any kind of support in this dispute. Far from it, He's actually spoke decision paying now. Then he spoke to Prime Minister Ta Keshi. In his conversation with she on the readout after it, he didn't mention at all any conversation about Japan or Taiwan. The Chinese then released that Taiwan wasn't just in the phone call, it was a dominant part of it. Took up almost half of their conversation, according to the Chinese. And then after the call with the Japanese Prime minister, the Japanese Prime Minister came out and said she'd had that call and gave a bit of an account of what they spoke about. But Trump said almost nothing about it. What is clear is there's no statement from the American president so far to give the Japanese Prime minister public support. And that's the world that you know. The Albanese government and all love American allies have to operate with them.
Speaker 1: Will Glasgow is The Australian's North Asia correspondent. You can read all his reporting anytime at the Australian dot com dot au