Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, and as always I'm joined in the studio by financial planner Canna campbell Ley, founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform that is just about everywhere YouTube, Instagram, podcast like this one. Hello, Canna, good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am well, and I'm intrigued because today's episode just a little bit different.
Speaker 2: It's actually one that I requested.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is you know what You're very insistent I want to talk about. Luck is basically what you said, and this idea of kind of why do some people seem to get ahead what seems to be very easily right, while others feel like they're constantly on the back foot. Is it luck, financial luck that is kind of playing a role here, or is it something else? Is there some kind of secret ingredient may be that it is causing them to get ahead? And if it is in fact luck, if it is some kind of financial luck, how can we improve it? If we feel like we are maybe the unlucky ones. When someone says right that they are financially lucky, what are they referring to? What are we kind of talking about here?
Speaker 2: So normally it's something like after the lucky event. So you know, someone has bought a home before a massive boom, or someone got a really high paid work opportunity or contract, or someone has financial support or you know particular type of like special education or is well connected to you know, a wealthy, successful uncle or a rich grandmother, or you know, they happen just to make the right investment at the right time. And this is where people, you know, I say it's after the event, because people are looking at the outcome completely disregarding the process behind the scene. Because underneath, luck is so much about the timing, the access, the exposure to the opportunity, the resilience, you know, because obviously some things are full of risk, and you've got to really sort of you know, if you're feeling nervous, you've got to weigh up all those risks, you know. And also they've got to have the ability to have the income or perhaps even the savings to be able to be in a position to actually take on those risks or borrow that money, or you know, actually be able to experience that particular event.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm already starting to get a feel for the way that you think about financial luck. Does this mean then that you don't think luck just as a as a kind of almost like a almost a supernatural thing plays a big role in financial outcomes. It's more about a combination of those other things.
Speaker 2: I think luck plays a huge element in someone's financial success.
Speaker 1: One day, but it's going to make a success alone.
Speaker 2: It isn't like I'm going to be really firm about that. You know. This is why say, if you look behind the scenes, go deeper as to what the person's gone through. You know, nine times out of ten it has been a huge amount of really hard work. It's about, you know, being consistent over a long period of time, is about it being incredibly patient, mentally resilient. It particularly when things have been you know, scary and fragile, and also having a sound system you know, behind you, enabling you to stick to the process and the strategy in order to create this successful or lucky outcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there is clearly then what luck feels like. It's an overarching term then that describes the position that you are in once you have done the hard work, that you have opened yourself up to those opportunities. You have demonstrated your willingness to have a go and get in there and put yourself out there. So does that I mean then the difference between luck and positioning there really isn't one.
Speaker 2: Well, hen, let's just go back a second, because there's actually some science behind you know, luck and successful outcomes. And there is Professor Alessandro paul Chino, who is I believe, an Italian professor of theoretical physics, and he's won two Nobel Prizes about this, and he was actually this is I think important to flag before we jump into the next question. But he was able from his studies to prove that success is actually you know, and success when I say luck is from talent, from of course lucky events, but also from taking actions. And what his studies showed is it isn't actually necessarily the smartest people that or even the most talent people that were lucky and successful. It was simply because they actually acted on those opportunities. So yes, luck might open the door, but you've still got to be able to turn that door knob and walk through bravely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, And to what extent then can you create your own luck? And I think we will after the break, we'll kind of get to the ways that you can do it. But by the sounds of this, you can actually manufacture those circumstances and that mindset that allows you to take advantage of financial luck.
Speaker 2: So this is to answer your question about you know, luck and positioning. So luck is obviously being in the right place at the right time, you just got lucky. Positioning is different and that you intentionally put yourself in places where you know these opportunities can find you and even land in your lap. So it's like someone who really wants to meet a new partner. You know, they've been single for a while and they desperately want to meet the one, But yet they go and spend all their weekends sitting at home watching Netflix. They're not positioning themselves to go and meet someone of the blue bump into them. You know, they're staying at home, so they're not positioning themselves in order to help make that luck actually happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is sounding an awful lot like manifesting by stealth.
Speaker 2: No, like if we think about it from a practical point of view. You know, when you put yourself out there and you have connections with people and you see opportunities, but you also then act on opportunities. This is where we start to create the shifts and we start to actually see that there is an ability or an opportunity to make things different and better. And it also, I really believe it shifts our mood and how we actually show up when we can see that there is potential, there is hope, or there is faith.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there a risk then that you can attribute too much to this idea of luck because if all of a sudden you just go Joe blogs He's always so lucky, he always gets all of these things, and I'm always so unlucky, none of it ever comes to me. There's a luck of accountability there.
Speaker 2: Right, one hundred percent. And also it creates this sense of helplessness, which is what I'm sort of talking about. You know, why would I even bother trying? Which is very disempowering, and it keeps you playing and playing as a victim, you know, which doesn't help anyone. But also when you attribute a lot, you know, things that have happened in your life to luck, it builds gratitude, and I think that's really important and also helps keep you humble as well. You know, there are things in my life where I think, Wow, this happened. I'm so incredibly lucky, and I'm so incredibly grateful. Things aren't lost on me that have happened in my life.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want to sound like I don't believe you, because I do.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I genuinely do believe you about the way this works. But on the flip side to good luck and positioning yourself well and appreciating those opportunities when they come and acknowledging that, hey, not everybody gets those opportunities, and so there is an element of luck there. But on the flip side to that bad luck. And when you are someone who feels like that that bad things keep happening to you, how much of that is bad luck? And how much of it just comes down to a lack of planning, a lack of your financial buffers. When surely everyone gets bad things happening at times, but just some have equipped themselves better to deal with it.
Speaker 2: There is no doubt about it. There are things that genuinely happen that are bad luck, like a job loss, getting sick, being in an accident, unexpected expenses. You know, but this is where that lack of buffers really does increase your exposure and your vulnerability. And you know, this is where things can you know, spiral and you know it's really unfortunate. So you know, bad luck and not having a safety net can have a very dangerous toxic domino effect. You know, you get sick, so therefore you can't work. You can't work, so you can't pay the rent. You then have a risk of being a vi did which then obviously damages your tendency records and even your credit record, and then it's much harder to recover. There is no doubt about it. So you do need to obviously be sensible and why and understand that bad luck happens to everyone, but you need to build some safety nets as you can as your situation allows to help, I guess, quarantine any bad luck and allow you to get back on your feet.
Speaker 1: Ah. Look, this is a rare episode of this one where it feels almost as though I'm getting more skeptical the further we go on. But I think we're going to take a quick break on the other side of the break, My skepticism is going to get moved to one side, and you are going to give me a masterclass in increasing my own financial luck. And I suspect part of that is to stop being so skeptical and questioning everyone and everything.
Speaker 2: You read my mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick break back with more cana. We are talking today about financial luck, about whether some people are just inherently lucky when it comes to money and others have been cursed with bad luck from the day they were they were born. We've gone through the idea of positioning and how kind of setting yourself up for success, but also being open to those opportunities when they come, knowing that that sometimes things just happen. And if you are in that mindset and being able and being prepared to accept it when it comes, then you're going to be in a better position. How can you increase your own financial luck if you're one of these unlucky ones who just like the car breaks down one week, you finally start investing, and then all of the market crashes and all of these kinds of things, or you lose your job, how do you go about trying to overhaul and increase your financial luck.
Speaker 2: So the first place to start with, which is going to be hard for you to swallow here, but a sense of gratitude because you're taking your mindset from a place of scarcity, you know, an awareness, so you actually look at what you've got. When things happen, when we're feeling I've had a really bad day or I'm just going through a bad phase of bad luck, i just can't help. But you know, get hit with things that are, you know, coming left, right and center at me. This is where I was talking about that victim mentality. But if you can just stop and take a moment to think, well, you know what, look at what.
Speaker 1: I do have?
Speaker 2: You know, all right, I've got two beautiful, healthy children. I have a job which really I love and it fulfills me. I have and by the way, I'm talking about you, not me.
Speaker 1: You've just forgotten one of your kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a fabulous wife who is hilarious and witty and makes the best cupcakes in the world. I have, you know, a roof over my head. I have some money in my bank account. When you can start to appreciate what you have, that tends to raise your mood, and as Oprah says, what we appreciate appreciates, But it stops that toxic spiral that we can do where we start to catastrophize everything and we think, oh, here it comes, and we start almost for this confirmation bias, look for the next negative thing that's coming away, just to confirm to ourselves of look like, look how unlucky I am. I can't seem to get any breaks. I can't seem to win everything, and everyone around me is winning. Is this something you're relating to? It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Oh I do that probably three or four times a year. It's a quarterly spiral.
Speaker 2: Look and every and now and again even I get a bit like that. And so just tooms you've got to help each other out. So in stcemarily having a negative moment, give me a call and I'll get you back out of it. But when you start, when you can catch yourself and you can go all right, take a press pause. What have I actually got here? Let's get a big picture here all the wonderful things that I have in my life. It then sort of presses pause and allows you to actually see, all, okay, what can I do about this. What are the opportunities around me to fix this? Do I have any faith and belief in myself to actually move through this and bring all the pieces back together again? You know? Am I willing to actually have a go and try it fixing? What's that? What's happened? And many people don't actually lack opportunity. They sometimes just like the courage to act, you know, so's you can. That's where I talk about this victim mentality. They just sit because and some people actually like being a victim. I know that sounds really harsh and bitchy to say, but I've seen this firsthand where they love the attention that they get from being a victim and they stay there. You know it's Is it disenabling? I think is the word almost? And that's why I really want to create this conversation around luck and that you can actually cultivate it within yourself. And you know, it starts by gratitude and also talking about yourself in a positive way. For example, do you think you're lucky? Yes?
Speaker 1: What would you believe? Oh my god, you made me do a yes or no answer and it forced me to reveal it. Yes, I do actually believe that I am that I am lucky?
Speaker 2: And would you say that in feeling lucky, you're more willing to take chances and jump on opportunities.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because I also have this belief that everything will work out in the end.
Speaker 2: This is sounding very positive like claffhast full. Would you say that you're more willing to put yourself in different and new environments and have different conversations with people you may have never met before, always wanted to speak with to help cultivate more things or positivity and successful outcomes and lucky outcomes in your life.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've gone way too far. Now, that's well outside of my comfort zone. Us you are an in Yeah, yeah, but no, I genuinely talk to at.
Speaker 2: Least recognize there are more opportunities.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, absolutely. And the more conversations that you have with people that you don't know, the more opportunities do come up. I absolutely see that, and I do appreciate that that is an important part of it. I just would prefer not to speak to anybody ever again.
Speaker 2: Am I on that list as well?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Start?
Speaker 1: Did you like how long I thought about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, your nose is growing. It's fine.
Speaker 1: No, No, No, were okay, but.
Speaker 2: You know when it kept boiling it back down to money. Having those conversations, when you have a bit of faith, you can tell yourself you're you know, actually I'm not on lucky. I'm actually quite like because look what I've got so there, and you can start talking about the ideas, the strategies, the solutions to help rebuild your luck and rebuild greater fortune and success.
Speaker 1: At a practical level, what about building up the kind of your emergency money, your buffers, just those those really practical things so that when you do get hit by bad luck, it doesn't just completely overwhelm you.
Speaker 2: So incredibly important and you know, this is where things get really messy, and this is where people end up being homeless, like this is like this call it as it is, you know, not having that emergency money to back yourself. And you know, I always say, you know, building wealth is like building a house. If you want to build a house that survives all the elements, the rain, the storm, the fires, you've got to build it with a really strong foundation. And that foundation is savings, having emergency money so that if you know, you can quickly and easily get back on your feet again and you you know, even if it does mean starting from scratch, you have all the strategies behind you because you've done it before and you can repeat it again and get faster.
Speaker 1: So, say I want to become a more financially lucky person. What behaviors do I need to be changing? Is there anything in particular? And so obviously the first step is to start from a place of gratitude. Is there anything else in terms of not just mindset, but behaviors, practical practical points.
Speaker 2: Okay, so number one is obviously having some goals. You know, it's great to be lucky, but where are you going to channel all that energy and that luck and that focus having those goals? Obviously, then doing a budget, you know, making sure all your budget is aligned to your values, and you feel lucky to have a budget. You have, feel lucky to earn income or have money that you actually have the privilege of actually having to actually allocate money to what you want. That's itself is a very privileged, lucky position to be in. And especially when we look around the world right now, then of course, you know, building up the savings, you know, we lucky to have savings. We are in a privileged position if we can look at our investments. If we have an investment portfolio, even if it's only small, son, you got ten dollars in your investment account, we can build up from that. That is a lucky place to be building up upon from. And superannuation, which most of our listeners would have super aneration. Aren't we lucky to have superannuation? Like we have one of the best retirement plans in the world, You know we are. We're hopefully moving to a world where we aren't going to be as reliant on the government further say the age pension. We can be self funded retirees if we engage with us super correctly, listen to these podcasts every week and follow the advice that we try to instill in everyone. So we are actually very very lucky with the opportunities around on us, around on us. So around us it comes down to are we going to step up and jump on them to the best of our ability? Obviously keeping in mind right now that things are you know, are tight, but are we at least going to have a go.
Speaker 1: I like that, I reckon you may have just converted me.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you a little hack I do at home?
Speaker 1: Oh? Please.
Speaker 2: I tell myself all the time, I'm a lucky person, really all the time. And I tell my kids all the time, you guys are so lucky, and you know, you're lucky that we get to do this. You're lucky that you've got experience. That you're lucky, you know, I'd constantly say. And so they genuinely believe they are lucky people. And I think, you know, having that inner faith in yourself, that quiet inner faith. It's not boastful, it's not arrogant, you know, it's not materialistic. It's just like a bit of confidence and faith in yourself to see that the glass is half full.
Speaker 1: I am actually quite surprised that what you've done, I think is actually put into words something that a lot of people feel without necessarily acknowledging. I think we take for granted a lot of things in this country. The support that is available, the welfare is available, that if you do fall upon hard times, there is a lot of support. But also the fact that we do have the opportunity for jobs and you can potentially go and get another job if you need, if you need to supplement, that that there is good healthcare, that there is good education, there is a lot of good things going on, and you just need to look elsewhere in the world to realize we actually do have it good here. We are lucky, and you have just kind of enunciated that very very clearly. I like that you have converted me at lost for you have converted me from a luck nicest thing you've ever said to me, from a luck skeptic to a luck believer. And I do still feel that there might have been a little bit of manifesting in there that you are trying to kind of No. Okay, no, no, that's fine, that's fine. We will save manifest I talk about visualization. No, no, no, I don't think you did. Actually, okay, we're in the clear no manifesting manifesting free zone. If anyone wants to find more information from you about luck, where would we find you.
Speaker 2: The best place to reach me is through Instagram.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sugar Mama TV, and you can hear me every day with Sew nail Or on Fear and Greed business News. You can use. Thank you very much for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit the follow on the podcast. And the very best thing that you can do is tell somebody else about the podcast. Send them a link to the episode if you think that they might benefit from hearing it. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.