Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About the Stellar podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin, your host, and every week I sit down with some of the biggest names in the country because when Australia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to Talk About. Earlier this year, Pip Edward surprised everybody when she announced she was stepping down from pe Nation, the active where brand she co founded in twenty sixteen and helped turn into a global force. Then a month later, Pip now she would be rejoining Subie, the brand where she kicked off her career in fashion twenty years ago. In her first in depth conversation since those headline making professional moves, Pip joins me in the Something to Talk About studio today to explain how her return to Subie is part of a much larger and total personal rebrand.
Speaker 2: It's my son's birthright.
Speaker 1: Pip also opens up about the media's continued obsession with her love life and who she's dating.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's so interesting about my boyfriend's I think I'm more interesting.
Speaker 1: Her bond with friend and radio presenter Jackie.
Speaker 3: O where spiritually aligned, were emotionally connected, and I just will forever have her.
Speaker 1: Back and at forty four, why she believes she has truly come into her own.
Speaker 2: I'm now going to prove myself right. Pip Edwards.
Speaker 1: Welcome to something to talk about.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to be here.
Speaker 4: It is so nice to have you here on the cover of Stella today.
Speaker 1: Last time you and I sat down together with microphones in front of us was early this year with Julie Bishop, but also more recently you and I ran into each other at the Travis Scott.
Speaker 3: Concert where we were happy to have each other at that concert with our sons. O.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, what a night.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you. You see much more of the cool person that would be in that sort of ironment me and a Travis Scott constant, not not the most obviously.
Speaker 2: Your trainers on. You know, I was impressed. I did. I was trying to never seen you in a trainer No, I was.
Speaker 1: Trying to channel my my inner Pip, but you were. I was definitely very excited to see there. But the things that a mother will do for her teenage son.
Speaker 3: And that's what I think we were talking about. It's amazing when you get to a point where you do get this amazing access, but to share it with them and make it really special for them, and they get to see things that they might not ordinarily get to.
Speaker 2: That's what's exciting.
Speaker 1: And it's also a reminder of the passage of time because you know, your son, Justice is eighteen, he's been doing his final year.
Speaker 2: It's last exam tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh what what?
Speaker 4: Who's more relieved? She org him.
Speaker 3: I think both of us are, but I think, yeah, it's end of end of an era. Lots of lots of endings of eras, lots of endings of eras. And that's right, because a lot to talk about today is the name of the podcast, suggest something to talk about, you know, one ending of an era, of course, referring to peeing nations. So it was August of this year you announced on Instagram that you had decided to step down from the brand that you co founded. You're still remaining on as a director in substantial shareholding, but PIP such an iconic brand that bears your initials, so successful so quickly in less than a decade old. Talk us through a little bit if you caught about making that decision and how you're feeling. A couple of months after going public with that decision. I mean, we collectively achieved the unimaginable, you know, and it was an amazing whirlwind ten years of blood, sweat and tears. There was a lot of effort that's gone into that, and we reached heights we never thought possible. I mean, I don't even know if we even took stock of all the amazing things we did because we was just so in turbo mode. And the decision around that really was a holistic life decision, and I think that's kind of what I wanted to make clear. And you touched on justice, you know, finishing school, there's a whole lot of change going on, and I actually thrive on change. I'm curious. I love creative disruption. I grow from that. I searched for that, and I think the timing of going through the rebrand for PA Nation and seeing that go down the runway and seeing the results of that for me was just tying into this whole stuff that was going on in the background for me personally with life and justice, and it was just like the business got a rebrand, and in that.
Speaker 2: Process I reflected too.
Speaker 3: So it's a part of my own rebrand and I'm sitting here, you know, obviously just as finishing school tomorrow, like legitimately, and he's going off into the wild world and he wants to go overseas, and I felt that the timing of this whole change was all fitting in holistically. And then I got this job offer that actually required some creative disruption.
Speaker 2: It required a lot of learning.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, of the move to Subie was it's a huge global brand that's based in America. That's where my son wants to live, and it saw me I might spend more time over there.
Speaker 2: All this stuff was.
Speaker 3: Going on, and it just aligned in the way that for once it suited me.
Speaker 1: So it was twenty years ago. If I have the maths right that you first started at sub To two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and three, two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: We're sitting here in November twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: How was it? You can't expect it? Actually can?
Speaker 1: You really can't script it? And as you say, a new offer, but going there as creative director again talking about chapters ending new beginnings, can I ask you to talk me through the pip Edwards walking in there as creative director after this mammoth success that you have built as opposed to the young woman that went in there.
Speaker 2: You were working on Nie.
Speaker 3: I went from Price water House Coopers to suvi As initially as Dan's Pa, Dan's Justice's father, and then I moved moved into the PR department for years, and then they put me into women's wear. I think what people don't know is that while I was at university studying at comments at Sydney UNI, I actually had a retail job and I was with Marx, so I worked the floor, so I had this practical knowledge of fashion. And Marx ended up the late Mark Kirey, who was one of my first ever great men tours in the industry and everyone he's loved and adored. He took me into head office and I was fit model and I was the muse for the diffusion collection called baby Doll and it was based on Denham. So I have had this string of denim and if I look back at my whole career, so at UNI, even though using you know, my corporate like maths side of my brain, I was learning practical denim knowledge on the ground in retail at Marx. I then go to SUBI anchored in Denham. I then go to Sassinbaid anchored in Denham. I then go to General Pants, anchored in Denham. And it's almost like the detour was p Nation.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, that's like things, and I think.
Speaker 3: That people don't even because everything's associated with PA. And don't get me wrong, PE Nation wasn't a detour. It was almost just putting working knowledge into play. And what a great success story for all of us.
Speaker 2: With PE.
Speaker 3: We disrupted the market, We had global recognition, We really resonated with women. We impacted women, we gave them their confidence. We turned active, where ath leisure on its head. You know, it became a wardrobe staple. I can only speak glowingly about the brand. And yes, the brand had you know, my energy and all those things. But the brand is bigger than me, as any brand should be. But my love for fashion lies in Dennit it always has and that's that's the return home. And I think for me, the biggest thing which really still gets me emotional, it's my son's birthright. And when I talk about PE and YPN, why you know, put all this effort into it. It was a sign of the times to survive like it really that job was to really look after my son and get him to a point where I got him through school and give him all the life that I want him to have. And this decision is about me and my growth and my experience in my knowledge, but it ties in something so deep. I'm so deeply connected and passionate about that. It's still about him, but it's for me, and it's a family legacy.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: So the intersection of you joining sub as creative director happening literally the same month almost as Justice finishing up school, is not at all a coincidence. It's very much.
Speaker 2: It was very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a month of planning around that for sure. And the funny thing is is that Justice has this newfound love for the brand. He's obsessed with SUBI and it's a beautiful joy to see because it's his dad's creation. You know, it's in his genes no pun intended, literally in his genes. And the you know, the culture and what sub have done overseas internationally is just ridiculously amazing impressive global footprint, but especially in America, which Justice has this affinity to the basketball urban vibe. It's it's almost like I don't know, but we both gravitated in that way.
Speaker 1: He must be, I imagine, so proud of you. But sometimes if you're the I'm sure any parent listening things on my team, How has he reacted to this? Sounds like he's absolutely elated.
Speaker 3: Like he obviously is so supportive of Pe and he would wear pe and understood. But this is a different kind of This culturally fits with his vibe. It's his aesthetic, it's his swagger, it's his dad's, it's now his mom's. It's a wild scenario, but he, you know, he's so the kids that are at eighteen, they are watching the TikTok as, they are watching the basketballers and SUBI has that cut through. So he's just now, oh my god, like this is actually happening.
Speaker 2: I've got this new credibility with my son. I think that that's wow. I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: You talk about disruption a couple of times, creative disruption. What's your vision for the brand as you come into sub as creative director.
Speaker 3: I think a big part of what I do in there is to amplify what they're already doing. They've already got an incredible base. What they've done globally is amazing. You know, flagship stores all over the States, LA, New York, Chicago, Miami, new one in London, now Sydney, like it's really got a global footprint. I think a little bit of having that original energy in there is really important and I can see since being in there how that resonates with the staff and understanding you know the connection between the art, the music and that.
Speaker 2: So I'm amplifying that. But a big thing for.
Speaker 3: Me is really leading design innovation and all the fit swashes and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'm going right from the beginning.
Speaker 3: But it's not changing, it's amplifying and together it's improving. And I really want Sube to be that global success. From my time back in Subi it was, it was the pinnacle and all I want is for that to be it again, but fully globally. And I'm just there to, you know, get it to those heights.
Speaker 1: And what about your esthetic and your design origin in terms of the audience, because obviously with a pe Nations such a huge female demographic and with Subi.
Speaker 3: There's obvious it's very much I think it's seventy eighty percent male. So for me, that's where that's where I get my disruption. I'm learning a lot about men'swear globally. I'm learning a lot about America, which was a market that was quite hard for P Nation to penetrate. So there's a lot of learnings which is amazing and hats off to Subi for really nailing that. I think for me, what I bring is the Aussie mentality I do.
Speaker 2: I bring the woman to the business and.
Speaker 3: What relates there is Australia and Europe, so combined it's it's a pretty powerful combo. And under the helm of Craig King, who's the CEO, who was my boss when I was at General Pants, So there's a beautiful synergy in working relationship that exists in Subi. There's a lot of the team I have worked with in the past. I've been in this industry for so long. And then there's a lot of respect for the heritage, and then there's a lot of respect for obviously what we created at p Nation and it's just ready to thrive in a new way. That's speaks that leans into my fashion roots, and Sube wants to lean into the fashion roots.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the woman in the business, and I'd love to talk to you a little bit about your business acumen, because you are somebody who has been and is still a very successful creative director, designer, but also has co founded a business, has really strong entrepreneurial background. Do you have a preference between that side of your brain the left side or the right side, and what part of yourself do you think you might be drawing on more coming into this new chapter.
Speaker 3: My skill set is I'm ingrained. I'm trained from school to university. I'm wired that way naturally, so I'll always think about the commercials before. So whatever's on top the creative decision has a commercial footing anyway. I think I'm always trained to look at margin and think of that, all of those things, but they just come naturally. Some want of decisions made and it is a gut decision. It's an informed, gut decision. It's not just a creative gut decision. I can't explain it. But there is a regard, and more so now in this landscape, it has to have that regard. But you can work in creative disruption if you know your market, you know your audience, you know your numbers, you know.
Speaker 2: All the things.
Speaker 3: So it's all of it together. It's not nothing's in isolation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the way that you explain that about that gut instinct, but gut instinct backed up by.
Speaker 2: By data, and I take it on and I like to know.
Speaker 3: I like to know all the pieces of data so that whatever the creative decision is made, it's already it's already got the base.
Speaker 1: It's always difficult for any of us to think about how our own brains work, but I would still like to ask you a little bit about it because this left brain v right brain. So obviously, as everyone knows, you've got the left brain traditionally, you know, analytical, logical, the part of the brain that might have a preference for learning languages or being good at maths, and then the right side very much creative intuitive. You obviously are somebody that has both parts of the brain are firing.
Speaker 3: I dip in and out or they intersect. I think common sense. I think my training in terms of experience in fashion coming from Marks and going to SIBBA, But more so what I learned at General Pants is common sense around who your customer is. That's the analytical side. So even if I'm being creatively disruptive or trying to push them boundaries. I won't hold my ground. I feel there's a commercial decision that's better, I will go for that. But you're always still ahead of the curve because my creative vision can be wild, but when it's tamed back to the commercial, it's still something different, and I think that's where the magic is.
Speaker 1: I also love the fact that you you know, you did study law commerce and you have always lent in to that side of your skill set as well, because sometimes I think in our society we can from a gender perspective, encourage women to follow that more creative humanities for instance, and boys we can tend to more encourage them in the sciences and the maths. Was that anything that you ever felt or are you conscious of now that your business success and the fact that you understand the data you don't just need people to be feeding it to you. Are you aware or conscious of the fact that that is still really pushing back a little bit about agenda trope I would argue still probably exists a bit in Australia in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: My parents are highly academic and followed their path. I always say, I think it's important to know the underlying of that all those financials or understand and know how to read things or inquire about them, because you can't do one without the other. The gender thing, I think, I'm sorry. I just keep thinking about Justice and kind of where I sit with him, and he's following a different road to you know, if he doesn't do basketball, he's going to do psychology, which I just love. So he's gone down a mindset roade. But it is all about that too. What I've learned from Justice is mindset, and that's how you succeed, you know, if you overcome your mind and the niggle of your brain and commit and understand that, that's powerful for anybody. So yeah, he's really and he reads a lot of books around mindset and it's like all of the stuff. So I'm you know, that's not something that you know, my parents were like, you're you know, you're going to You're going to be an accountant, You're going to do and I was just like Justice, I'm like, oh no, that's where his passion is.
Speaker 1: And so that's and do you think then for you as a mother hearing Justice, that's clearly sounds like he's got very well round ideas about you know, mindset and something like psychology, but also has been allowed to pursue his love of sport.
Speaker 3: I did facilitate that. But what he has learned as well is you know, structure and discipline to achieve. And I think that's a really important lesson all round. So whether or not, I think for me, university was about structure and knowing, knowing that place or knowing that, knowing the hierarchy, and really focusing.
Speaker 2: And I learned that at university.
Speaker 3: Apart from whatever you know the content or the subject is, it's more sticking to this structure and plan to get something and achieve something. He's actually learned that through basketball, which is amazing that he's learned that through his passion, because sometimes fashion doesn't teach you that going into fashion. It's so great And nowadays the term creative directors use quite loosely, isn't it insens.
Speaker 2: It can be.
Speaker 3: It can be, but there is a structure to that, and there are KPIs to that, and it is linked to the bottom line and all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: So I learned it corporately.
Speaker 1: First, you've mentioned with Subie there'll be a big global focus.
Speaker 3: SUBI will probably see me travel a lot more to the States to really understand that business over there. They've got a big office in New York, and you know, there's focus on London as well, So I'm really looking forward to spending time on the ground over there because it is a big business and it's a beast and they've cracked it.
Speaker 1: Would you see yourself in the future permanently relocating or splitting your time between two countries, especially you say Justice as.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's a permanent situation, but you know, the CEO does spend a significant amount of time, like, you know, three months at a time over there, so I can probably see myself doing a stint once a quarter definitely, and that's exciting. Yeah, I long for that, and I think that suits where Justice is going.
Speaker 1: And coming up Pip on why female friendships is so important to her, how she deals with negative headlines, and why she's finally ready to own exactly who she is. I'd like to shift gears a bit if we can and talk about something that is an issue that you have been I think a real trailblazer on the last eighteen months about talking about publicly, which is about perimenopause menopause. This started your public story. Of course, you actually spoke about it in Stella in March of last year, twenty twenty three with the white chirt campaign, where you revealed that it was only at thirty nine that you first started getting symptoms and realizing that you were going through perimenopause. And in the eighteen months since then you've spoken about how it is a completely natural and common experience and we shouldn't be made to feel like we are going through it alone. But when you were going through it, you really struggled. You said, I didn't know where to turn for help or information. Since March of last year, PEP, when you first started that conversation, right through to now where you're still talking about it and advocating about how we tackle it in the workplace, I'd love to talk to you about do you feel less isolated now? Would you agree that you have helped make a lot of other Australian women feel a lot less isolated about it? Are we getting somewhere in terms of destigmatizing it.
Speaker 2: I think we're getting somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think the conversation is happening because I'm doing a lot more talking about it, and I think that's the whole thing. The conversation is important because not one woman experiences the same symptoms, nor do they correlate nor you know, again, I'm here now forty four and I'm still relearning or finding myself learning more because my symptoms are changing again. So there isn't it's a never ending conversation. There's definitely chatter around it. But I think the thing is there's still a lot we don't know, and there's still a lot and there's not a lot of great advice out there in terms of where's this one, where's this one place to go to get all this information?
Speaker 2: Like right now, again, I'm getting a flush.
Speaker 3: Now, I've had to change, I've had to up my dose on an HRT, like I'm going through. I'm still like even my mother who's in her eighties is back on the patch. So you know, it's a work in progress, and it requires all women to talk about We talk about our periods, we talk about men.
Speaker 2: This is men.
Speaker 3: I sometimes say it's men on pause, lol, But but I think, you know, we should be talking about it because that's me. Because every woman is different, and that experience and that sharing of that knowledge is priceless because the doctors don't all know, you know, they don't know where to go, whether it's you know, there was that stigma for a long time, don't do HRT for all the reasons of being related to breast cancer, and that that made me actually go through a severe amount of symptoms for a long time.
Speaker 2: Because I did go down the natural road.
Speaker 3: I wanted to try that, and I'm not saying, you know, it does work for some people. For me being so young and the symptoms being so extreme because I was so young, that's one of the problems of you know, get hitting Perry really young.
Speaker 2: The hot flushes are severe, you know.
Speaker 3: And I did acupuncture, and I went to a nutritionist, and I tried to change my exercise and I did all the things, and I persevered for a long time, but it didn't work because of the taboous around HRT, and.
Speaker 2: You know, and then I went on HRT and I got my life back.
Speaker 3: But again I'm still on HIRT, still working riding the waves of change. I actually was talking last week to Michelle Bridges about it because she's doing this menopause workout, you know, holistic kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing, and I learned again you know what.
Speaker 3: She taught me that a frozen shoulder can be a symptom of menopause, and I was like, what, I had a frozen shoulder. I went to pilates to try and work through it, and it wouldn't go away. I did not know, like all the things you don't know. But the more women talk about what they're experiencing, because there's more that is more valuable than what the doctors are offering, is the mission. And my only other mission while I've got the camera and I've got you, is that younger women need to know. So the younger already, I want the women in their twenties and thirties to know that this is happening, this can happen, and if they plan for it, for it. Because for me, the other part of that was fertility, and that was my mission of doing the white shirt campaign and quite recently the Dove campaign, because my mission is to not for women to not have a choice, and I want women to have a choice.
Speaker 2: I want their options.
Speaker 3: Because yes, modern the modern woman, she chooses to work hard, she trains really hard, she's on a lean die, she does all the things. And because that's also new, the impact on your body. That's what you don't know. And I just want women to have a choice and be informed.
Speaker 1: And I can only imagine how much with this conversation becoming more that we are discussing these things openly, that so many women would be hearing different things, things that you have said. They would be having that moment like you had.
Speaker 3: And you know what, the other thing, it's so crazy, it's like the easiest thing, ask your mom. Go talk to your mom first, because a lot of it is hereditary and that's what we forget. And then you add on all the symptoms of you know, what could bring on early menopause, if it's high stress or diet whatever, all there are a few things that bring it on, but it starts with hereditary jeans, and just talk to your mom first, then talk to your girlfriends.
Speaker 1: And can I ask you a bit about your approach as a senior woman in the industry and an employer yourself a cow an employee now an employee, but a very very senior employee that will absolutely be shaping the culture of the business. What's your approach to that you're mentioning earlier, how big part of your work has really been encouraging young women, especially to become aware of this and have access to the information that was denied to you in your twenties and thirties. Are you seeing that culture shift in workplaces? And for you personally, is that something that you supperve.
Speaker 3: I think for me, it's more about connection and connecting with my colleagues, which I'm two months in and doing that quite well. But having the safety and creating the safety for conversation and connection is actually the best place to start. And I'm not, you know, asking for any wild changes at my workplace, but the change would be checking in.
Speaker 2: You know, how are you? If you and the God we didn't sleep? I'm like why?
Speaker 3: And that's where that's where that support comes in, and really invested in your conversations with your colleagues about what's going on, because that really impacts productivity. And if they feel supported and heard and they feel that they're in a space where they can just have that private conversation in the kitchen or in the hallway, it really does elevate productivity and all of the things that they can come to a workplace and go I'm seen and heard. It's all about a supportive network at work, just creating a safe place. But I mean everyone goes to it. They don't want to do a bad job. I don't believe people go to work to do a bad job. You're they're five days a week, you know, nine ten hours a day. They deserve to be heard a little bit. But it's you're at a colleague level. I want to say that then can become to a managerial level. I just think you want to just support support your mates at work.
Speaker 1: Connection, as you said, was the word connection then brings me back to sitting in the studio at the beginning of the year with yourself and Julie Bishop, but not just that friendship, which is an amazing friendship, and that was an amazing conversation and a huge response to your friendship. And I think what it says about high profile women supporting one another, women of different life experiences but sharing so much in common that you wouldn't think, but also being united in their differences. I mean, there's just a lot about that story. I think that resonated with a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I think what really resonates with that story for me is just our honesty and honesty and having that trust surpasses all the other things, all the shiny things people see, you know, knowing I trust when I talk to her, I can tell her everything, and she's she's a good she's a vult, She's got my back.
Speaker 1: Her trust is good, isn't it. I mean, when you find trust in any one colleague, friend, it's partner. It's just there's nothing like it, because the opposite of trust is something that none of us want. I know, we talked about this, you and me and Julie, but just that idea of how we celebrate female friendship a lot, not just in a superficial sort of way, all like that or you know, sisterhood. You've all got a lot of each other.
Speaker 2: It's not about that.
Speaker 1: But you know, for a lot of us growing up, that was not what was being supported. And if there were two women, even if one of you is a you know, former female foreign minister and one of you is the co founder and the creative.
Speaker 4: Director, that's it's all got to be.
Speaker 1: You don't have two successful women in the same room. It's great that that's called out, and that is obviously you know, you have a lot of female friends, and some of them, of course, we'll never see and we'll never know that names and that's so important. And then some of them like Julie, but also someone like Jackie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'll talk about that because it's a really beautiful one. But I will talk about some of the women you don't see because there is a common thread shared there and it's literally wanting the best. Jackie O is one of the most humble, interested, invested females I've ever met. Who she is and how she speaks, she is that on the street. I've watched her talk to a thousand people, take her time out to have photos, say hello, like actually give herself to people she knows, she respects that. But she is one of the greatest friends. We have parallel interests, we're spiritually aligned, we're emotionally connected. It's honest, it's all the things, and I think that really shines through in how we interact, even if it is on Instagram. Her honesty is such an inspiration, and her honesty and being a real woman is what really got me at the beginning, and I just will forever have her back, like I have Millie's back, like I have Jane's back, Like I'll list all the women in my life. They all deserve a mention. But it's not as they're not. It's not a big bunch of women. It's a curated bunch of women over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's quality and it's about genuine friendship. I obviously Jackie has recently made headlines with her memoir, which is amazing by the way, and spoken about, you know, taking herself to rehab and her addiction. But I just wanted to ask you, Pip about the power in sharing part of that because the vulnerability that's required, the bravery, and we often overuse the word bravery, but there's such bravery and generosity in somebody sharing a story. I have the immense privilege of people doing it here all the time in the podcast studio. And you, for instance, when you spoke about your perimenopause at thirty nine, I'm sure that that was something that you wrestled with before you went public. I'm sure you like me and of course your dear friends with her. But for Jackie, I mean the power of her sharing that story and challenging some of the still prevailing ideas that we have about addictions.
Speaker 3: I think for her it was extremely healing and it was time for her to stand in her truth. She has nothing to hide. It is nothing to be ashamed of. She's now connected with thousands and millions of women who she has now inspired them to really face what they're going through and not I mean, we actually celebrated her book launch on the weekend and she went round the room and spoke about everyone and how she does have a great network that allowed her to really believe in herself to get through it to come out the other end, and she owed it to women to stand in her truth, which in herself empowered herself. So it's this sick lital thing and I think that's what people don't understand. You can inspire women that then inspire you and it comes back and all it does is just elevate the vibration and creates so much more positivity. And to all the critics out there, fuck off. Sorry, you know, I just want to say that. And the night Jackie released the story on radio, I went that night to her house to be with her and just you know, give her a big hug, and she shared with me the quote that Jemmy gave her about being in the arena and the Benet Brown being in the arena and know that there's always the cheap seats. The people that stand back, they'll always throw their comments, throw their judgments, but they're not getting mard or they're not in the dust.
Speaker 2: They're not getting seen.
Speaker 3: And every day that person in the arena stands up and shows up every time. But you know, whether it's failure or victory, she's doing it. And that's why Jackie and I have that amazing connection because we are in the arena, but we're in the arena with integrity and purpose and rawness. Right, So that's that I go home that night and I'm so impressed with this quote. I tell it to Justice and I'm like, be in the arena, blah blah.
Speaker 2: And he looks at me. He goes, mum.
Speaker 3: There is a Theodore Roosevelt quote that also says that, and it's like, but his version was the man in the arena, and it's the same kind of thing. You know, don't worry about the critics in the seats. They're not they're not they're not doing the work. And I think that's what we've got to remember. We're putting ourselves on the line every time we're telling our stories. We're showing up to work where good women, we're raising our children.
Speaker 2: That's what people don't see.
Speaker 3: They just all they want to see is that clickbait story that brings someone down. That and yet you know they're private on Instagram, they don't show anything, so cheap seats go back to the nosebleeds. I'll happily be in the arena every day of the week.
Speaker 4: I absolutely love that, and I love that justice also.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, I know this, myst son is just just genius. I love him.
Speaker 1: You know this, this profound raw friendship and solidarity and then getting trailed by perhaps I mean, Pip, You're always everywhere you go, there'll be you know.
Speaker 3: What's so interesting about my boyfriends? I think I'm more interesting?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you are definitely the most interesting.
Speaker 3: When you quote me on that, can you quote that with a bit of laughter? I was being quite funny there. I'm not like, you know, no look in respect to the ex boyfriends, but there's way more interesting things and way more layers to me than that. And if that's how they want to portray me for clickbait, that's on them, and it's actually on the audience too, And anyone that meets me knows that that shit doesn't even touch the sides.
Speaker 1: Do you find it frustrating the fact that because you don't encourage that or buy into that, and like, to be really honest, like as you and I are sitting here, I know it's something that you don't want to talk to And I'm not going to ask you about lock. I'm really not. But is that something that you find frustrating that that narrative then the.
Speaker 3: Link the link to the narrative, and then then the link to the next one. And it's kind of like, why aren't you seeing the woman that's really had an incredible career directory in an industry, worked for some incredible businesses, It's made some kind of inroads, raised a child on her own, independently financially, who's a great friend, who's got energy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm talking about myself here, But I kind of have to.
Speaker 3: I kind of have to in a way because all of that gets wiped by some man that I happen to have some experience with. Yeah, and I don't flaunt it.
Speaker 1: No, I wonder if it will ever go away, Like I'm sure it will at some point, not for you, I mean, but it.
Speaker 3: It's fine, But I mean, I'll happily now just talk about the real shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that you have talked about a lot of real shit with me today. I'd like to finish it up by bringing it full circle. You spoke about new doors opening and closing other doors. What a year it has been, and you know you're only forty four, Pip.
Speaker 2: This is the thing.
Speaker 1: So I'd love to ask you a little bit about that idea of being in your forties and having all of these amazing things ahead of you, and again a bit what we talked about with cross generational conversations that I think is something that wasn't necessarily available for our mother's generations, much less great grandmother's generations. Do you feel I mean it's a bit cliched. You're just sort of getting started in so many ways at forty four.
Speaker 3: I'm about to in one way with my son obviously, like reaching the milestone of parenting. I mean, I'll always be his mother, but you know, getting a son to eighteen and having that solo journey doing that, it's a lot and I've had to really reflect on that and what that means for me and what's going to.
Speaker 2: Drive my next chapter.
Speaker 3: But the best thing about being forty four and having got my son to eighteen, I'm in my skin and I'm unashamedly, unapologetically energetically me take it or leave it, And I don't want to hide anymore. I don't want to censor anything. I don't need to filter anything, proofs in the pudding. You know, I've ticked my boxes with work. I've raised a beautiful, beautiful son who is the most balanced, measured, sensitive, funny, charismatic, all the things. I'm proud. I'm proud so now now, yeah, I make myself proud. You know it before it's been always an external validation. I don't need to externally validate anymore. It's just it's like, instead of proving people wrong, which it's been that tough journey. It really has been that tough journey, I'm now going to prove myself right.
Speaker 1: A lot of us are driven, I think by proving people wrong. So I love that you verbalize that.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: Would prove myself right and if anything, don't prove.
Speaker 2: Improve m I love that.
Speaker 1: Are you proud of yourself right now?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm proud of making some big decisions. I'm proud out of, you know, stepping into new challenges. Because that's always scary. I'm proud of the work I've done. I'm proud of knowing myself inside out.
Speaker 2: I still.
Speaker 3: I still deal with, you know, things that are so personal. But that's the journey. I'm not You're never You're never really there. And if you think you're going to get you think you've got that kind of goal.
Speaker 2: That's not how.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just being president in the moment and making the decisions in the moment that are right. And that's all you can be proud of.
Speaker 1: It has been an absolute pleasure to talk to you so lovely, to see you so thank you so much.
Speaker 3: A cover I feel on it, honestly, humbled on it, honestly, no, no.
Speaker 1: There's always a cover with your name on it. Can't wait to see how everything unfolds for you over the coming months.
Speaker 5: Thank you so I will see you at the next Travis. Wherever we are, I'll be holding your hand. Thanks again, Edward, thank you, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Pip, of course, is.
Speaker 1: The creative director of SUBI, and you can find out more via the link in our show notes. Thank you for listening today. If you've enjoyed this episode, then leave us a rating. Or a review, and make sure you're following us because we'll be back with another exclusive guest on something to talk about next week