Speaker 1: Well, could be your dear friend Billy Slater has stepped down as Queensland can't.
Speaker 2: You're surprised it was a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think most of indication was that he wanted to go around again. Five years coaching Origin is a hell of an effort. But he's contributed to the Queensland jersey, you know, not like too many other people. Like you think of the player coaches that have done it before.
Speaker 2: He sits right alongside all.
Speaker 3: You know what Faddy Vorton did, what Mel's done. Yeah, he's elevated that jersey to inspire the Queenslanders. And to be fair now that that position for me is the number one coaching sport position in Queensland.
Speaker 2: If you want to.
Speaker 3: Coach the Origin side, that's that's the number one right So I think a lot of Yeah, our game is big, our game gets a lot of traction, and I think sometimes the energy to do that role continuously can get chip away over to period of time. But you do a good job with those players and the results at different stages for inexperienced coach. I remember this guy had never coached anything before. He did a damn good job.
Speaker 4: What do you think will he take over the storm. No, you don't think he'll do it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think he will.
Speaker 3: Look I think it all looks quite romantic and there might be a flying session. It does all add up, but I don't think so. I think he's also said that never say never, so he could come back and coach Queensland one day. He could coach Australia's There's other jobs that might fire his belly at some stage, but I don't think the Melbourne Storm or enter L coaching in general would be on his prioritis.
Speaker 1: At the moment when a lot of stepped away at UNI South Wils level, they end up making a quick decision, but at first there was no clear cut person you know who to put in end up going for Maddie King.
Speaker 4: What about queens Lane. It's a little bit the same, is it? I mean the logical one's camera. But do you think he'll do it yet?
Speaker 2: To know?
Speaker 3: I think the best person will get the job, like it truly is a blank canvas, full time in RL coach, no experience coach and everything in between. I think it was all in on Billy and Billy sort of had a chat to his family and so he doesn't want to go around again. So now the conversation shifts to who is it?
Speaker 1: And historically great to have someone on this show podcast.
Speaker 4: So't it's Queensland coach.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you for me, it's a logical one. I've got a Queensland blake who lives next door. And he said, who do you think?
Speaker 4: I see Kronk? And he said, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: That won't be happy mate?
Speaker 4: Had ever hardened an ambition to coach?
Speaker 3: No, I like the idea of it, but coaching to me and Billy's showed me that coaching to.
Speaker 2: Me is like playing.
Speaker 3: There's not enough hours in the day to be great at something, and you know you did it for a long period of time, Like there's a certain joy you get out of playing. It just cannot be recreated. So no, I won't be Unfortunately you might have met here. Actually we could sort something out. Might be actually just cronk and we'll get rid of Maia.
Speaker 4: I believe me. I am. I'm more than happy to minimalize my workload.
Speaker 2: Oh then your contract goes down to it, by the way.
Speaker 4: It doesn't. It doesn't the cost of living coops.
Speaker 1: Look, you spoke last week about the importance of this time of the year, plane a fellow heavyweight and not being embarrassed or flogged. Penwth lost, but they certainly weren't flogged. It was It was a hell of a game. What did you What did you think? What do you think of Penrith after first time so.
Speaker 3: Peneth had played, the Warriors and the Roosters have lost both. I think it was more important for the Warriors and the Roosters to win than it was for Penrith.
Speaker 2: I still think Penrith can win. If the Warriors lost.
Speaker 3: To Penith, I didn't think they could. If the Rusters lost to Penith, I didn't think they could. Now the Roosters are competition favorites. I think Isao brings them a little back to the field. The two main threats to Penrith have now found a formula that they need to recreate, career, create and do again. So I still think Penrith can win it. Worries and Rusters can win. But I think Roosters have elevated themselves that they have all the ingredients.
Speaker 2: To win the premiership.
Speaker 3: They've got a powerful forward pack, their goal line defense against Penrith is that's premiership winning performance defensively, their halves are good and they're inconfident. Yeah, they can win it.
Speaker 4: It's turning into a master threat the DC. We'll get to that in one set.
Speaker 3: Well, what was penriiths competition two three weeks ago is now three even contenders.
Speaker 4: But I saw the number one.
Speaker 1: It was interesting in the last It's been numerous years now. The Roosters kryptonite has been the other top sides. Their record against the other top sides has been horrible. Driving in the other night, I was listening to the radio broadcaster in the warming up and I forget it.
Speaker 4: Was what would have been.
Speaker 1: I think it was justin horror he said. On this end, he said something very strange. He SAIDs really some penrith through out there.
Speaker 4: In the midst of.
Speaker 1: Their warm up, which is pushing now, about twenty five minutes the Roosters came out for he said, no more than five minutes and they're back in the sheds. Do you think it's Trent Robinson's way of mixing things up? Do you think that was part of it? A totally different approach? Yeah, may they went into this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, their record prior to that wasn't very good against betters. So maybe I think if you do the same thing, you're just.
Speaker 2: Going to get the same result results.
Speaker 3: Right, Maybe they're preparing for September because in my career, when you warmed up inside.
Speaker 2: It was a big game origin in Grand finals.
Speaker 3: So I know coaches start preparing a little bit for September. So because if you train it outside the whole time, then you get the Grand Final day and go, oh, I can't kick a ball outside, I can't sprint fifty meters. All of a sudden, your preparation changes. So maybe they've got a little eye on that. They had to shift slightly in the prepar but whatever it did, it worked.
Speaker 1: I used to light the warm up in the Drey Yep, you have the old run on the spot a little bit. But so I hated getting a sweat in the warm up. I get a sweat on the field too, but exactly exactly, although these things didn't need to running drop me.
Speaker 2: Well that's a little bit, right.
Speaker 3: So you do you shoulder contact and tackling out in a stadium, there's not a lot of you know, it doesn't reverberate around the scene, but you do it inside there is an intensity, There is a noise that happens, and there is something about warming up inside, but not all the time that plays a part.
Speaker 2: Like I noticed that South Sydney warm.
Speaker 3: Up inside when they're at a court sometimes, so I think coaches use that ploy at different stages.
Speaker 2: But I thought the.
Speaker 3: Best part of the Roosters was their goal line defense.
Speaker 2: In the first twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Nathan had a bucket load to play the balls, probably should have scored. Cherry Evans goes down the other end and scores a try. There's a lot of Premiership traits in that Rooster's performance the other night that says they are in pole.
Speaker 4: Position start of the year.
Speaker 1: Mixed reviews whether they should have signed him, he had Geo coming through at a raider knots.
Speaker 4: It's proven a master.
Speaker 1: Straight because it's worked out a really terrific combination. You know, seam they they're not dissimilar on the way they played, the very instinctive reactive players. But there's no doubt to see him like the last couple of weeks, DCE has guided the ship home.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: That experience in those big games, it's just all these big games going to be invaluable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, Look, he's played a lot of big games in his career. Last played in a Grand Final in two thousand and thirteen against the Roosters. Hasn't played in too many prelium finals before in between that and now played a lot of origin games.
Speaker 2: That's his best performance in a few years.
Speaker 3: Like running the football, yes, Like taking the line on twice for two tries against Penrith, Yeah, Like kicking, managing decision making like yeah. He's had some up and down, particularly last year. It manly like he wasn't running the football and that all the commentary around the signing was fair because it wasn't the signs that he was going to go to the next level.
Speaker 2: Trent Robinson needs a huge rap.
Speaker 3: Whatever he's done to coach Daily, the person is starting now to get the performance. Because it was always he's going there for the experience to help Sam. He's now actually contributing in a performance part. Those two tries that right foot for the first one was a big moment. They defended for twenty minutes, got their first opportunity. He saw space and we haven't seen Daily do that too often.
Speaker 4: It's been a great It'll be a great experience for Hugo to Hugo Savala.
Speaker 1: I know they've got a lot of young guys coming through, but you'd think, you know, for what Hugo has done for the Jersey, no winging, just got on with it, go and play whatever position by your time made.
Speaker 2: We have seen I don't think this gets spoken of.
Speaker 3: We have seen players at other clubs, I the Tigers, ie whatever. When something happens, tills down, I'm out. Yeah, hre Svaala could have done tools down, I'm out, probably had every right to. But what did he do was the best trainerger in preseason. He was probably not in their seventeen or twenty to start with. He's found a spot at left center and he's been very, very consistent. And you know, if you're aspiring half, sometimes when you play outer position, it gives you a greater understanding what it takes to play in your preferred position.
Speaker 2: And he's doing that right now.
Speaker 3: Like he is learning, you know the other side of things, like playing rep football for me off the bench and defending in the middle, taught me how to tackle on the edge. Yeah, there's things that Hugo has done that's like he's a damn good player for that club.
Speaker 4: Nathan in the game made heta. He was certainly busy.
Speaker 1: I thought that I thought they were a tackle lacked variation when they were attacking the line as we were watching his touches here, there's no doubt that he missed Isaiah.
Speaker 4: He's got it because they have worked as a.
Speaker 1: Partnership for just so long. Right through the run of success. I thought a couple of times watching the Roosters defend, I reckon there were times that the Roosters outside men were pretty empty and outside in like rushing outside in defense, and I thought for that reason, I thought a few times that Nathan should have varied, maybe give.
Speaker 4: The ball two steps earlier. There's little things like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it is one thing when you system and you are so automated in the way you play, it makes you.
Speaker 2: A little bit predictable. So there is a little bit for next time.
Speaker 3: And this is the thing about Peter and the Roosters and the Warriors playing so close together. Is it great for the confidence of the Warriors and the Roosters. But the bad side is that Ivan and Nathan will sit through every bit of vision, yes, and they will go okay, this is what they did to us. So here comes a variation in prelim final week. So there's a little bit of the hold things in the back pocket for the big game that you need. But I think Nathan is going to get zeroed in on with no Isaiah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I remember in twenty sixteen No Billy playing Crenell of Sharks. I just remember thinking, like if I just my biggest regret of that Grand Final was not coming up with a player that I was.
Speaker 2: A decoy for.
Speaker 3: What I mean by that is attentions on you to come up and make with a player. So you keep trying, keep trying, keep trying. But if you just sit somewhere and have another player come up with a play, it just might be the X factor or the difference in it.
Speaker 2: So I think Nathan and Ivan.
Speaker 3: While you put all the responsibility and trust in Nathan to deliver without Isaiah, at some stage you've got to come up with an alternate play that says, hey, look at me, I'm over here, and you know, whether it's Cogger or Blaze or someone else.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes sense because one of the notes I made come out of the game is that Jack needed to.
Speaker 4: Give Nathan Moore.
Speaker 1: As you said, there was a distinct lack of variation wherever Nathan was that that's where the ball was going to go.
Speaker 3: Do you still think it's Cogger after that performance? Do you think cog six I thought was Blaze, but I thought Blaze was not He could have added more when.
Speaker 2: He came on the field. I expected a more significant impact.
Speaker 4: I sort of get the feeling. And look, I'm only guessing here.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to get the sense that the Blaze at six experiment, if you want to call her that, all that want to turn him into.
Speaker 4: A top class six is evaporating.
Speaker 1: I think they're starting to think, now we might not get there, and we might be I mean, this kid, they might be you know, they might be sitting on a.
Speaker 4: Bloke who was a world class fullback.
Speaker 1: Or center or somewhere else, and maybe now it's start trying to push him somewhere.
Speaker 3: Because Cogo defensively did some pretty good things. So there was moments that if that was Blaze, well I don't know that's that good of contact, right, But it's definitely a point that they need to work out because if Nathan is going to be touching the ball more times. There was a couple of times where Jack went the first receiver, Nathan was that second receiving looked threatening. They just need to get that ball right. And the other one is Lindsay Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now this is interesting, Coop, because I said that I believe that they needed to change the way they played. You're the opinion, No, no, no, They've come this far down the road. It's too dangerous to start changing. I'm sort of leaning your way a little bit. Although Lindsay won't give the same service, doesn't have quite doesn't have the same vision everything of Isaiah. I think he showed enough the other night to show that he can play a role similar. I thought he's I thought his first stint was pretty good. I thought his second stint was just outstanding.
Speaker 3: His first stint was probably two past centric, and his second stint he realized he had to know that run first mentality and then maybe I.
Speaker 1: Can This is this is only second stint here, so you just you see in the first half, I just thought he was a little bit out of sink. That second stint, you obviously went went back to back to the bench, collected himself.
Speaker 3: He took the game on that second stint. But the Smith Cleary Coga combo. I don't think they're going to change the way they play, but I would say next time they play the Roosters or the Warriors, there's going to be a variation to their set players. Because you and I could sit here and say, oh, you know, Penrith will go to the one post and they would come back and drop that back roll off and then I'll all swing back this way.
Speaker 2: You can see it unfold.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're going to showcase any type of football they've got in terms of tricks until they play those teams next.
Speaker 1: Now we're dedicating a lot of time here to these two sides, but I mean there's a reason for it. This is really interesting in one coup in your opinion on Sam Walker at the moment, I want if you were if you were Trent Robinson with everything going on at the moment, And I don't know Sam, I don't know whether he's very good at compartmentalizing.
Speaker 4: He might be, he mightn't bother him at all. But there's a lot going on this contract stuff.
Speaker 1: Now there's rumors that the you know, the Broncos could be the background preparing.
Speaker 4: A big a bid. This talk about the Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Behind the scenes maybe going to come in as well. He got concerns about this being a start to become a distraction for Sam.
Speaker 4: Will of course it can be, do you think it will?
Speaker 3: And performance is king right, Like the only thing that says right now that he compartmentalizes is his performance.
Speaker 2: I just don't like the noise.
Speaker 3: Like these things can be done behind closed doors and not necessarily.
Speaker 4: Hard to they coop in it.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to look at Nathan's situation like he's in the same situation and people have said, oh, he's going to p and G, but no one's actually really speaking about it, because it.
Speaker 2: Could be he might be.
Speaker 3: He might be having these conversations, but whoever's doing that is not having external ones.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the reason.
Speaker 1: Was was the very fact that when you know, when you heard that, when you heard that Sam and the roosters were going to sit down at the table, you expect because of the roosters, was going to be that, Okay, let's get the deal done. Because from the roosters, I don't want him sitting down with that makes sense all the broncos I'd want the deal done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, See, I might be naive here, But I think when you're talking about a long term deal, you are investing in a person for a long time, then it needs to be genuine care and respect both ways.
Speaker 2: Like I couldn't care less if you went to November one.
Speaker 3: Like if you are working together and trying to achieve something, you want to achieve together, and he is going to be a franchise half back for a long time, take your time, get it done. And I Sam seems to have backed himself in. It might be the thing that gets that extra deal, extra number. It might be the thing that brings it back to normal. But look at the end of the day, but the kick can play.
Speaker 4: But yeah, see what happens an xt mounth for So now the top a structure.
Speaker 1: You know, we've got the Cowboys and the Dogs of Bunnies were sort of flating around. You expect after the weekend they're locked in. Cowboys had the opportunity, they're blowing it and.
Speaker 2: You reckon they make it.
Speaker 4: I think they do.
Speaker 2: They've got dogs two points outside and the.
Speaker 1: Dogs and the Cowboys are very similar points differential. Dogs just slight advantage on very slightly sixteen points. Dogs have got the Dragons, the Panthers and the Broncos.
Speaker 2: You'd say they're going to win two of those.
Speaker 1: You'd think Cowboys have got the buy the Tigers and the Raiders. Oh, I mean watching on the weekend, like you just look at the Cowboys. You got everything to play for and off the kickoff like Brian Kelly makes the break off the kickoff.
Speaker 3: But they have they have a history of this, the Cowboys, Like you're playing PARAMOUNTA down the bottom ladder and this is your first effort. That's a few weeks ago a getting Brison. Broncos they smashed kickoff.
Speaker 4: Yeh.
Speaker 3: I think it was in tal Malolo's game or something like Todd Peyton came out and said they don't like the Broncos and they smashed the kickoff right, Like they're so frustrating. I just don't know how where you can predict the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: What do you think? Do you think it's the Dogs or the Cowboys?
Speaker 2: I think the dogs?
Speaker 4: Do you think the dogs?
Speaker 3: And even like I'm not saying that because I've got more faith in the Dogs. I just every time I backed the Cowboys, something happens, you know. I mean like last time they played the Eels. They dropped the ten twelve point lead and lost. They got beat by eighty from the Roosters, and then they bounced back with a couple of good performances and then they do that again. Yeah and yeah, the Dogs they got their own issues.
Speaker 2: But look, that's not head or heart. That's just the Cowboys just hard.
Speaker 1: To pick intuition and like the Sharks, let's keep moving out. I mean, the Sharks were flying, and the question always was you felt there was just a sense of something a little bit different this year, you know what I mean. Then suddenly out of the blue, they.
Speaker 4: Dropped two games, two bad losses.
Speaker 1: And we said last week watching that their last win, which was against the Bunnies, Fitzy up in the box, unusually animated. He could almost like he must have sensed them coming off.
Speaker 2: We've won five or six in a row. Now I know my team, I know I'm better than most.
Speaker 4: Can they in your opinion?
Speaker 1: They've got I mean they've dropped out of the four, this big Cowboy, Dolphins, leap Frog and Newcastle right up there, Clacker as well. They've got the Titans who got the earls, and they've got the Melbourne Storm. Question, can the Sharks, and they've got time to do it. Can they basically, you know, pull themselves together and go again, not.
Speaker 3: Because it's impossible to go again with your form and create Fitzgiven would do that, but I think the Trindle injury.
Speaker 2: Shuddering for them. He's been their MVP.
Speaker 3: He's been the guy that has come up with big players, and Nico tried on the weekend and he just didn't come up with enough.
Speaker 2: With Trindle off.
Speaker 3: The field, maybe Brayley needs to step up and become that main ballplayer through the middle, really control things like he was doing through the middle part of the year of origin. But dropping those two games, I think they'll bounce back. They'll win a couple of those, they'll play finals. But you're asking me, can they go past what they've done the last couple of years of a prelim.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Because Trindle is going to try and get that shoulder right in four weeks. He's got four weeks to rehab that thing to make it strong. Maybe they miss. Maybe they can win Week one without him, but they can't go past Week.
Speaker 2: Two of the finals without Trindle.
Speaker 1: And the Newcastle Knight two just beyond they've got to buy up their sleeve as well, and they've got mainly this week massive game Saturday for Newcastle and Manly the old old Boys Day three pm. You going yes, I am yep, going up there, myself and my jumblow Jack who played for the.
Speaker 4: Knights, and uncle Joey road trip up there. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yes. The other son going no, he's not allowed to.
Speaker 1: He didn't made he never played for the Knights, and we might get him to drive.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Coop the Warriors, well, oh man, I still think, like you know we mentioned the Roosters that we've mentioned Penrith. I think they are the most finals ready the way they look, they've got their pushing for top two. They've got to see us. They get the Knights and Manly, Pan got the Storm, the Dogs and the Tigers.
Speaker 4: Let's okay.
Speaker 1: Luke metcalfe Ashton Ward almost the same spot on the field, a really rare injury doing a hamstring kicking a goal bugger meat.
Speaker 4: Luke Metcalf does the same thing.
Speaker 3: Our game is is brutal, right, our game is physical. But that was quite emotional scenes from Metcalf, like he put his hands in his head like you. It was just like dramatic in the way that he reacted because I think he knew how bad it was. He was very confident, never really had any signs that there was some hot spots in the hamstring.
Speaker 2: It just goes to show the Warriors are a damn good coach team.
Speaker 3: I keep saying this about Andrew Webster with respect to all the other Australian.
Speaker 2: Coaches that have gone over there. He's an Australian.
Speaker 3: Coach that's gone over and the Warriors culture culture has significantly gone up, Like this is a non Kiwi guy that's got this multi culture that's bubbling along that it's stronger than ever. There was a moment when Clokstar went off the field James Fisher Harris, if he does not win Captain of the Year, I'm not here. He got the team in together in a huddle. Clokstar's gone res Wolsh's bouncing around a broken ankle or whatever he had, and he's got the team in together and going, you know what, defensively the strongest.
Speaker 2: These are the little things we need to do. I don't know what he said.
Speaker 3: Lofi cart Perreira intercepts freespolsh runs the other end like they are doing things like it was probably the Sharks dropped the game, right, That was probably a game for the Warriors to go.
Speaker 2: You know what, the Broncos aren't playing.
Speaker 3: Well, we could just cruise here a little bit, but they put the cleaners on them, strangle them into submission and put forty points.
Speaker 1: They punished them, didn't they They just went from Coop on James Fisher house.
Speaker 4: I'll take you half a step back from that, go and have a look at this. This is like for me, it was the response of a man like you know, like because that's what he is like. And I exactly.
Speaker 1: But you know, when you play alongside, but when someone's your captain, they've almost got a father aura over the side. And I want you to watch when when the referee is explaining to Chance why he's on report and why he's why he's been sent to the symbin him and Fish is standing there with Chance, the referee is explaining it. The referee goes, that's what's happening when Sandral the bin Chance stands there and goes like that and Fish turns to him, does this just goes? The Chance goes off and they just get on with it, you know what I mean. There was none of this bullshit about oh I know.
Speaker 3: Then he got the team in a huddle, spoke about whatever, and they defended it and then went down the other end of score.
Speaker 1: Just one more thing than Andrew Webster me, we're out of time again before we spoke about the Knights and dally M's and formed players and whatnot. Just on Andrew Webster. And I said this in the show last night. You judge coaches on wins and losses primarily, but also a huge one probably the best evidence of it.
Speaker 4: A guy is really a great coach, and the very.
Speaker 1: Essence of coaching is not just improving the team, improving the individual. The individual improves the side, of course all both rise. What he has done for Chanelle, Harris Tavita and what he did what he did for Tanna Boyd Fruit is remarkable. Chanell has done the Chanelle and Tanner, those two guys. It's the biggest turnaround I've ever seen in careers.
Speaker 4: Chanell.
Speaker 1: Let's like a few years ago a Chanell it just got all two much for him, and I get it is.
Speaker 4: A young guy.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of pressure everything that goes on with professional sport. He just said, you know what, I don't need this, I'm out. And then he's come back. And Andrew Webster has just taken charge of his game, and mate, he's cheese.
Speaker 2: He's playing great, a little bit like the Savala thing.
Speaker 3: Like Metcalf could have thrown the toys out and left, but Andrew Webster's obviously got a relationship with these guys. The thing I would encourage Webster to do, now that there's no to Martin Martin, no Metcalf, give the responsibility to Harris Tavita for a couple weeks because in September he's always been the second in charge. No matter who's been the halfback, he's been second in charge. And in September, if they're going to win the camp, they're going to need him to step up to play along with to Martin Mark when he comes back. So I would not necessarily give him the seven, but get another play like put cook Stars suspended, but put someone else in there that is going to be second fiddle to Christ and let him drive.
Speaker 2: The Warriors train, take him that next step.
Speaker 3: Tick him over that level of confidence. He did it on the weekend. He can do it again.
Speaker 4: Well to the other bloke, he's going good. We mentioned him.
Speaker 1: It feels like every week at the moment hegan, ye like he's at the moment, he's the best. He's the best knowne in the competition.
Speaker 2: And informed too, and crafty as well and knows when.
Speaker 4: To pull the triggers.
Speaker 1: Matthew, excellent, mate. I'm going to head back. My wife in China at the moment. What's she in China?
Speaker 4: It's going to sound bad. I've got absolutely no idea.
Speaker 2: So your's in China. You've got no idea why.
Speaker 4: She said I'm going to China. She said something, but like I actually forget.
Speaker 2: She's probably I forgot.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll be honest with you. I couldn't blame her.
Speaker 2: I can't blame courage.