Speaker 1: Appodjay production.
Speaker 2: I didn't ever think I would open up my laptop again and start writing another episode about my uncle Dev's on a road just south of Broome in northwestern Australia. After we released the final episode, I was not hopeful anything or anyone would come forward with new information about my uncle's disappearance. My family was happy with the fact we were able to get the story out and the podcast had some success both here and overseas. We had set up a website to help show some of the details of his disappearance, and as part of that site we had a simple contact us page. We had a few hundred emails from people wishing us well, some gave their own theories about what happened, and some just wanted to say they enjoyed listening to the podcast. That was until Tuesday night, the fourth of September, when my phone pined just before going to bed. It was an email from the contact us page and it read, Hi, I knew Dead's in the seventies in Broom, where we both worked on building sites before he moved to Derby. I saw Dez in the evening of Saturday, the fourth of August at the Broom Rodeo. He was very drunk and I was with children, so I didn't speak with him. He seemed to be with two couples aged in their twenties. They looked like travelers, possibly European. I'll stop reading the email from there, but it was sent by a man called Peter Connolly. That man's name had never come up in all my time researching what had happened to my uncle. Des To say I didn't sleep the night I got this email is a massive understatement. I had so many questions. My head was spinning with theories, excitement, and a little bit to worry. Worried this might be a very large rabbit hole that I was about to dive back into and still get no more answers than where we left you in episode five. The main thing that went through my mind was the actual time of my uncle's disappearance. Remember, Dez was last seen at three pm on the second of August by his road manager while working on his road roller, and at four pm when they returned to pick him up, he was no longer there. Luckily, Peter, who had sent the email, had left his number, so my next step was to give him a call. Hello, Peter, it's appropriate to have a chat now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just go and sit myself down inside. And you're lucky because I've just come in out doing a little bit of work this afternoon.
Speaker 2: So where do you live in Broom?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 2: Peter is seventy one years old now and has been living with the information he's about to give me for forty years. I'm not the only person who's told this story too, but we'll get to that later. The first thing I wanted to know was why, after all these years did he get in contact.
Speaker 1: My daughter in law is a bit of a podcast freak, and she started talking about the guy that went missing him Room and I said to her, his name wasn't Dez Was? He said yeah. I then downloaded the podcast myself. I listened to it and I said, well, I've got a bit of information I think I should tell somebody. So that's basically where it comes from.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get a bit of a backstory from Peter on how he knew my uncle Daz, partly to try and verify that he actually did know him, and part lead to try and understand how they came to meet and how often they'd see each other.
Speaker 1: I met him in Broom. He was working for the building company that I was working for. I was a contract carpenter building the homes West houses here in Broome, and Des was also working for the same company. He was a vinyl four tiler at that the time, laying the vinyl four tiles and the units that we were building. And what year was that, very very early seventies.
Speaker 2: And how long did you work together with him?
Speaker 1: Probably a couple of years. So I did know him reasonably well. He wasn't my best mate, Let's be honest that he was the sort of guy that I worked with. I walked into the pub and he was sitting at the bar. I'd go and to have a beer with him. We spoke to each other quite often, just a general mate.
Speaker 2: Okay, So before the information you gave me via email, when was the last time he saw Dez before that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been trying to think. I ran into him in Broom again. This is after it moved to Derby and I seen him up near the hospital walking down the road one day and I stopped and talked to him. Now, this I reckon. This was maybe towards the end of the seventies, maybe seventy seven, seventy eight. I stopped my car and had a good yarn with him. He seemed quite good. I can't really remember if he said why he was in Broom, but that's the last time that I seen him at the time before I recognized him, you know.
Speaker 2: So let's go to that time that you emailed me about.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was a Saturday night because that's the only time they have the radas on. I knew it was the next Saturday night after Dez went missing. So I kind of done a bit of research self, and I found out that that was the fort.
Speaker 2: So we're talking Saturday, the fourth of August nineteen seventy nine, and so it was a rodeo in Brow in Broom. Yeah, tell me what you saw.
Speaker 1: Well, I was at the rodeo with my children. I had one son of my own and three other children that I was looking after time. So I was standing there watching the rodeo. It's kind of an early evening, I exactly eight o'clock something along those lines, and I was standing kind of reasonably close, and I could see the bar, and I looked up and I could see Dais walking up to the bar. Now at this time, I noticed that he was really, really quite drunk. You're doing quite a bit of staggering. It looked like he was talking to two couples of people, to the degree that I thought he was actually with them. That I didn't make contact because I was with my kids, and I thought, the ms suffer are you're a bit too drunk to talk to tonight? This? So I just let it go.
Speaker 2: And so these people he was standing with by the bar, who were they?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Well, look, they weren't local people from Broom. I knew that that I'd never seen them before. They looked like young European backpackers to me kind of saw in European, maybe German, Swedish, something along these lines. That was just the impression that I got, Like, like I said, there seems to be with them. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but I can see that he was talking to them in general.
Speaker 2: And you said it was a couple or a couple of people?
Speaker 1: Was two couples a girl or a guy and a girl or the guy?
Speaker 2: Okay? And did he look like they were friends or friendly or.
Speaker 1: I kind of got the impression that he was with them.
Speaker 2: So to recap. Peter says he saw Dez a few days after he went missing. He was talking with two couples and he was drunk.
Speaker 1: At that time. I didn't know that it was Dev that was missing.
Speaker 2: So when did you find that out?
Speaker 1: It was early the next week, may have even been on the Sunday. I can't quite remember if I heard it on the news or somebody told me, but it was early the next week that I heard that it was Dez, and bang, all of a sudden, I said to myself, well, I've seen him on Saturday night. I was positive that it was him.
Speaker 2: This new information has really blown me away to think that this podcast about my uncle Dez, who's been missing for forty years, was heard by some one's daughter in law and in conversation she brings it up and her father in law.
Speaker 1: Says, his name wasn't Dev, was it?
Speaker 2: That's my uncle Dez, the man we've been searching for answers for for about forty years. Peter says he did go to the police a few days after he found out that Dez was missing to report what he saw.
Speaker 1: At that time, I was a member of the local show council here and so I just messed us to kind of a liais with us quite often, so I did know him on a personal basis. I discussed it with him and said that i'd send him the rodeo. And he asked me if I made verbal contact with him, if I spoke to him, and I said I didn't, and explain the reasons why it was because I had the kids for me, and he said, well, look, it's not a true terification of Dez and it was basically left at that. Reflecting back on it again, now, I didn't make a statement of any sort, he didn't take any notes. I got a feeling that he might have just passed it all forgotten about this on reflection, that's what I kind of think, because he didn't write out a description or anything.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is amazing information, it really is, Peter, and I know the family and me being as part of the family, are grateful that you've come forward. How confident are you that it was dead that you saw at the rodeo that night?
Speaker 1: Well, look, no one can be one hundred percent that I'd say, you know ninety percent sure that it was dead. Theirs was a fairly outstanding sort of a guy. He wasn't the sort of guy that looks like anybody else, you know. He he had a unique look about him, and he was to me, he was very easy to recognize. And for the length of time that I knew him from the early seventies rugh It up to that point, even when he moved to Derby, I did see him from time to time, so I knew him over a fairly long period of time. So look, you know, i'd be ninety percent sure that it was dead. I was shocked when I found out that he was the guy that was setting from the main Rows.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, surely the police would have a record of Peter reporting the sighting. You would hope so. But from Peter's memory, it sounds like the copper on the day was a little more relaxed than I was when I heard the information. I've emailed the detective you've heard in earlier episodes to chase up this information that will no doubt form part of a future episode when we get it. I recall him one of the many interviews I did with my mum and my Auntie Joy that there was a story that the Main Roads team actually didn't report des missing until Monday, when he didn't turn up for work. This was part of the Channel nine story around DES's disappearance.
Speaker 1: Thinking he may have quit work early, the foreman didn't raise the alarm until after the weekend.
Speaker 2: They thought that he had just knocked off early and maybe gone home to see family in Perth. No one from Main Roads called the family until Monday, the sixth of August nineteen seventy nine to ask if dev was with them. It was at this stage the police report was filed. August six was two days after Peter Connolly says he saw Dez very drunk hanging out with a few travelers at the Broom Rodeo. My family always thought the crucial time was that hour between three pm and four pm on the second of August, where Des was last seen standing by his roller. Now he could have gone missing any time after that point, potentially from a different location. That now opens up a whole bunch of new questions. This is what I was afraid of. Peter had lived with this information for forty years and it wasn't until this podcast that he had a way of telling his story.
Speaker 1: From time to time, I've seen something in the paper and I've kind of thought about it. It's something that hasn't left my mind. It's continuously been there. I often wonder actually what happened to him? Yeah, Like there were times that I thought, well, maybe I should dry and contact the family. I didn't really know how to go about that. I kind of thought, well, I've done all I can by going to the place. But on reflection, I really don't think they've done anything about it. There's been a few friends that I've told over time, both here and in Derby, but you know, no one seemed to know anything.
Speaker 2: I next told any of my family yet, because I wanted to chat to you first, obvious leader, to make sure that We've had lots of emails of different people. This is the first piece of credible information that's come through from the website. And so, Peter, you mentioned that you'd be happy to talk to the police again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll quite prepared to make an.
Speaker 2: I want to tell my family, in particular my mum and my auntie Joy. I know the family will hear this podcast, so it's only right that I call them and let them know what I've found out before it's released. I'm also torn about recording the call to my auntie, who is the first person I think I would tell. Because I don't think Mum would handle it as well. I decide I'll sleep on it.
Speaker 3: Hello, honey, Joy, Oh yes, yeah it is how I Oh, I'm good thing you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not too bad. Sorry I'm so late.
Speaker 4: I'm just sitting here being lady.
Speaker 2: Oh well yeah, that's a nice way to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We've got some more news, have you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know this information. So when we released the podcast, I set up a website and we had a really simple contact us page there that someone could send an email in or make contact with us. I got an email only a little while ago from a man called Peter Connolly. So, Peter Connolly believes that he saw Dez at the Broom Rodeo on the Saturday night after he was reported missing. Had you heard that before?
Speaker 4: I hadn't.
Speaker 2: When we left you in episode six, we had learned some new information from a man who reached out to us via the website we set up. His name was Peter Connolly.
Speaker 1: I was at the rodeo with my children. I had one son of my own and three other children that I was looking after time. So I was standing there watching the rodeo. It's kind of an early evening, eight o'clock something along those lines. And I was standing kind of reasonably close and I could see the bar, and I looked up and I could see Dais walking up to the bar. Now at this time, I noticed that he was really, really quite drunk. You're doing quite a bit of staggering. It looked like he was talking to two couple of people, to the degree that I thought he was actually with them. That I didn't make contact because I was with my kids, and I thought themself, are you're a bit too drunk to talk to tonight?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 2: So I just let it go. And so these people he was standing with by the bar, who were they?
Speaker 1: Do? You know? Well, look, they weren't local people from Broom. I knew that that I'd never seen them before. They looked like young European backpackers to me, kind of Northern European, maybe German, Swedish, something along these lines. That was just the impression that I got. Like I said, there seemed to be with them. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but I can see that he was talking to them.
Speaker 2: In general, my chat with Peter left many unanswered questions. Some of these questions had no real way of moving to a next step. For instance, Peter mentioned he saw Dez hanging out with too Foreign at the Broome Rodeo two nights after he was reported missing. It's going to be nearly impossible to find any trace of those people. Were they known to Dez before the night? And where are they now? The other question I had was did the police actually investigate this sighting of Dez at the Broome Rodeo. From Peter's account of his visit to the police station over forty years ago, he didn't feel like they really did much with the information. Finally, did my family and in particular DES's sisters, my Mum and my Auntie Joy, have any idea of Peter Connolly's story? Had this come up in over forty years of questions? Let's pick up that call to my Auntie Joy from episode six.
Speaker 1: We've got some more news, have you so?
Speaker 2: Peter Connolly believes that he saw Dez at the Broom Rodeo on the Saturday night after he was reported missing. Had you heard that before? No?
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: The story goes to Peter Connolly is that he saw Uncle Dez at the rodeo at about seven o'clock at night. Now, Peter was with his kids at the time, and he was going to go and talk to Dez from what he says, but Des looked like he was pretty drunk. Oh, so he didn't go and talk to him. I asked him was he positive it was Uncle Dez, and he said he was ninety percent sure that the man he saw that night was Uncle DA's. Now, the other thing that he said in the conversation I had with him was that Uncle dev was standing with two couples and the couple weren't from Broom. Because Peter obviously is a Broom resident and knows most people there. These two couples look like they were backpackers from either a European country. Oh, and Das look like he was very friendly with them. What are your first thoughts?
Speaker 5: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then.
Speaker 4: I really don't know Jason, to be honest.
Speaker 2: The other thing that Peter Connolly said, because I asked him, did he report it to the police, And he said he went to the Broom police station and reported it to an officer, an officer he knew at the time, because obviously they're all mates up there. And he sort of said that. The officer sort of went, oh, did you talk to him? And Peter said, no, I didn't talk to him because he was drunk. And then a police officer said that, well, how can you be sure it was him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, See, that's the thing, you just there's so many people look alike too.
Speaker 1: But then.
Speaker 2: So Peter said that he'd worked with him for a couple of years. He worked together when they were building homes west houses. Oh you and uncle Daz was a vinyl floor layer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that wasn't mentioned before.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Peter says that he knew das well. He knew him well enough to sit with him at apart and have a beer. And he said Dez was also and obviously we know this des was very He wasn't the sort of person you could mistake for someone else because he was quite distinct, wasn't he. Yeah, And so then when he by the time he reached police, and I can only go off what Peter said, were still waiting to hear back from the from the detective. But from what I understand, Peter has gone to the police as sit as in you and from what he tells us, the police didn't really follow that up.
Speaker 4: Follow it up? That's bad.
Speaker 1: No, it's.
Speaker 4: I really don't know what to think about it. If that was so, surely the good even with those backpackers that he meant, Surely that somebody would have known something, because Des didn't have all his Medicare cards and wallet and everything. We're still in his rooms, that's right.
Speaker 2: So if he was at the rodeo having a few drinks, who was paying for them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, And to go to the rodeau he probably had to have an entrance spee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, correct. And so do you think Uncle Dev would have been the sort of person that would just hang out with random people?
Speaker 4: I doubt it might have done. I mean, I couldn't say much about that because I mean it's been said that he was a loner, but he might have been a loner but not alone sort of thing.
Speaker 2: There's one question that's sort of a few people had asked via the via the website, and now this new information has come forward. Would he have just gone off to not make contact with the family anymore?
Speaker 3: Do you think I would say?
Speaker 4: No, definitely not, because when he went up north, mum was very sick at the time. Calvin was only a baby then, And I've found a letter the other day actually that Mum had written and said this and his mate Colin had been in to see them, and he promised he'd be back in a couple of months to see Mum because she wasn't well. And I just can't see him just not contacting, particularly Gwen, because Gwen and DEA's were very close. You know, they had more in common I suppose you might say, with the speedway and things like that. So I just couldn't imagine he would go off. I mean, I know that's being probably talking from family. Yeah, Like I say, the growing up years with Dares, I wasn't with him so much then. I was living down here. All my information sort of thing about Dares and Churl and when and that came by Grandma and my letters, because even those days it wasn't much phone call.
Speaker 2: You can tell this was new information for my auntie. And it doesn't seem like she had any idea of this siding, which sort of makes me think maybe it wasn't reported at all. If it was, surely my family would know of the sighting. Forty years may have passed, but this is not something you would easily forget. As mentioned in the last episode, I'd send any to the detective in charge of Missing Persons WA, Jude severright. Jude had been very helpful up to this point in sharing the actual official police records of what was reported around my uncle's disappearance. In my numerous chats with Jude in the podcast to date, the story of Peter Connolly and what he says he reported to police was never mentioned. In an effort to verify Peter's story and to see if this was actually ever reported to police officially, I got in touch with Jude.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Missing Persons jud Super speaking.
Speaker 2: Hi Jude, Jay, how are you going?
Speaker 3: Hey, very well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Would you mind just giving me what you received or from the police report.
Speaker 3: The police report comments that there was a phone call received from.
Speaker 2: Missus Moore sister, that's right, Gwen Moyer, who was Dez's older sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right now. She apparently received some information from another gentleman who had been speaking to Peter, who told him about deciding at the Broom rodeo, and so that was followed up by Broom police and the information was that received that Peter had seen dead at the rodeo in Broom on the eleventh of August, and apparently according to the report, he was in the drunken state at the time this particular person that Peter had seen, so Brain police followed that up from the report and says that Peter attended at the Broom police station where he actually spoke to the police, and this was followed up by one of the police aides who in fact I believe went with Peter to the rodeo to have a look and sort of see where he'd been seen at this particular time. And from talking to Peter it seemed to be the case that he wasn't entirely sure if it was in facts. And also there was some information that there was other workers there from main Roads out the rodeo on this particular day. So the assumption was that if Das had it been there, that he would have been cited by his other co workers. So the outcome was that more than likely the person that Peter saw was not THEIRS.
Speaker 2: I'm really thankful Peter came forward. His call was very genuine. As a family member, any information we receive is helpful, whether it leads somewhere or not. It's helpful to either shut down possible theories or sometimes even to give us some closure. I thought the best way to tackle this new information from police was to give Peter another call. Thanks so much for firstly for giving us the info that you gave us. It actually was excellent for the family. The family really really appreciated it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, wrong.
Speaker 2: We reached out to the police and the officer that we've been dealing with that you might have heard in the podcast, Jude, and she had some information that's a bit contradictory to what you said. And I just want to put this out there because we're just trying to find out a get to the bottom. So in our conversation, you believe the ninety sre that you saw Dez at the rodeo on the Saturday after he went missing.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: You then went to the police and reported it to a copper that you knew up at the Broom police station. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And he didn't really take much notice in your words, now.
Speaker 5: I will like that's the feeling that I got. There was no written statement or anything, Dagan, Okay, so just a conversation.
Speaker 2: So the contradictory information that we got was that Judea has come back and said that a gentleman called Frank Bain. Do you know that name?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, So Frank Bain was the foreman at the Main Roads Department at the time. Police have on record that they actually questioned you or us or basically interviewed you at the time. Do you remember that happening.
Speaker 1: No. I went to them, yep.
Speaker 5: I went to the Broom police station and say, just Smith.
Speaker 2: And that's all you recall.
Speaker 5: So no one else interviewed me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I might just read you what I got from the police officer and we can go from there, because I in no way am I saying you're not being truthful. Yeah, it is, and that's why it's you go, what is going on here? Let me read you the email that I got from jude Information was received on the sixth of September nineteen seventy nine from Deser's sister, Missus Moyer, that's my auntie, that she heard Frank Bain, who was the Main Roads Department where des worked, that Peter Connolly I thought he saw des Car at the rodeo on the eleventh of August nineteen seventy nine, so that was about a week later. Apparently des was drunk at the time. Peter Connolly was questioned extensively by the police at the Brooms Police station and further assisted by attending the rodeo grounds with the police, where he showed them the location where he thought he saw Dez.
Speaker 1: Did you remember, No, I never will have happened.
Speaker 5: I went to the police station and spoke with Sergeant Keith Smith.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 5: I didn't go out to the rodeo grounds with anybody. I didn't was the other guy's named Frank Baves.
Speaker 2: Frank Bain, who worked at the Main Roads at the time.
Speaker 5: I've never met him in my life, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to try and get to the bottom of that with the police officer. It is noted in the police report that Connolly was not sure if it was Dez, which you said you were ninety percent sure, sir. Also, it was noted in the investigating police information provided at the time that there were other Main Roads Department employees present at the rodeo who were more than likely would have recognized Dez if he was there. Oh, it's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is, but I just don't know why to put this other stuff in there.
Speaker 2: And that's what's blown me away, because your many of what happened and who you went to see was really clear, Oh exactly, and it's clarity that you've had for forty years. So either the police and I'm yet to talk to the police, and I will in a moment. But either the police have or whoever, I don't know who's written that report, so I will find I will find that out shortly. But you're one hundred percent sure that you never went to the rodeo grounds.
Speaker 1: With the police.
Speaker 5: With the police, I definitely did not. Absolutely definitely did not.
Speaker 2: And equally, are you one hundred percent sure that you were never extensively questioned by the police.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not.
Speaker 5: Like I said, all I'd done was going to seeing Keith Smith. We had a maybe a five minute conversation and it was all over. I could tell that he considered that my report wasn't conclusive.
Speaker 2: This now makes it really confusing. Peter's saying one thing and the police report is saying something totally different. Jude Severright, the head of Missing Persons WA, said this when I asked her why the difference between these two accounts.
Speaker 3: Well, the only thing I can put that down to, perhaps is the passage of time, since since the event happened, I will assume that the information written by the police on the police report was written at the time of the investigation with Peter. So perhaps maybe the passage of time's not correct or I don't know that's what's written on the report, So it's hard for me to comment. Got no reason to say that he's not telling the truth with this detail.
Speaker 2: Now that you've got around Peter being one hundred percent sure that he never went to the rodeo and that he was never questioned extensively by police, is that enough to have a conversation with him again?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've got no issues with having chat with Peter for sure.
Speaker 2: And then from there, I guess it becomes up to you on what the next steps are. Yeah, we'll have a chat and.
Speaker 3: We'll see what information he's got to give. Who's the police officer that he spoke to.
Speaker 2: I think it was Smith, the police officer's name on the reporter. Are you able to tell me who that was? That the same police officer or different?
Speaker 3: Different to that?
Speaker 2: And he was at Bruin Police This was made it for a police station. Yeah, so the report name's a different officer to the one Peter says he spoke with. Also, Peter said he was at the rodeo on August four. Police say it was on August eleven. It's been hard to verify the actual date of the rodeo. The Broom Rodeo ground has no record before the late eighties. We're now searching old newspapers to try and establish what date it was actually on in nineteen seventy nine. I'm hoping Jude and Peter get to talk and clear up what seems to be a pretty large discrepancy in what's a very important piece of information. Is them more to this story? Is it memory laps or something else. My auntie Gwen's daughter Michelle, has been reaching out to some of the family and friends who may be able to verify some of the different information we've been receiving. Recently, she posts on a Facebook group for the Derby Noticeboard. Derby isn't far from where Des went missing and also where he lived for a while. There have been loads of comments on Facebook with people tagging friends and family members who worked at THANGU around this time. Lots of names have come up, and we're following up with some of them. Some are people who work with des. Some were at the rodeo that same night. Did they maybe see him? And can they verify what Peter says he saw. We want to make sure that anything we put in the podcast helps us get closer to some answers. We also don't want to just throw out wild theories that do nothing but confuse what is a very confusing situation for our family. There is no clear path forward. It's really like trying to find a needle in a haystack. However, my family's been searching for answers for forty years, so what's a little longer. We're working in real time now, so we can't really predict what the next step of the podcast is. Suffice to say, this doesn't feel like the end. Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what podshape really cares about. Right now, there's thousands of people listening to this show and our other True Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast. There's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.