Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Ariana Grande is a thirty three year old superstar who is vanishing before our eyes. Am I allowed to say that? Is it okay for the rest of us to have opinions about the body of one of the world's most photographed women by expressing concern or something else about someone who looks so unwell? Are we making things worse projecting our own problems and hang ups on the most talented among us. One of the Australian's own brilliant young women, Bianca far Marcus, has strong feelings about who should be saying what.
Speaker 2: I want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Loved her on Victorious. That's probably my first introduction.
Speaker 3: I'm juggling and then I'm going to sing a song from.
Speaker 2: Me, and then I kept in the loop with the albums. The songs are always chart topping, so you can't really you can't miss her.
Speaker 1: She's phenomenally successful. She has everything from fragrance lines to a beauty company to a healthy business doing sponsored posts on social media, but her main job at the moment is kind of in film theater and as a touring musical artist, where she's absolutely massive. Her fans are young, and they've kind of stayed young throughout her career, aren't they. It's kind of preteen girls, teenage girls, maybe the women who are growing up with her. Who do you think is Ariana Grunde fan.
Speaker 2: I would agree with you in the sense that they've always been in that sort of young teen, late teen bracket. I mean, obviously I've stayed somewhat loyal, but the Wicked era kind of bored me to tears just too much. I had to pivot. It's just so annoying. After a while, I did, and I like, I love Wicked when I was twelve, and I was happy to leave it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. She plays Glinda, the good Witch from the Wizard of Oz in this adaptation Wicked, which is a stage and now screen phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Alphaba, They're coming for you. Just look at me, not with your do you know what I think? What was so interesting about the Wicked thing is that it reminded everyone the breadth of talent, Like, you can't just reduce her to a pop star anymore.
Speaker 3: People into your lives for reason, here's a plan for I have no plan, well, I do.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank god, they brought in this whole kind of more innocent aur to her, that she was this sweet, very musical, theater bound kind of geeky person, which is exciting for fans because you're rediscovering someone who, at a certain point in her career was very much known for these like vengeful, like sexy breakup albums, which were all but then you get this new side to her, and I think it created this incredible spectacle which has very notably started to sour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Wicked movies, there were two of them, and they were filmed together a few years ago and then released separately over the past two and a half years. And it's on the press tool for those two movies, the press tools that she has appeared in public as a very thin person, a suddenly very thin person. Someone who was always kind of slim and gorgeous is now skaletaly thin, and the world has reacted, has not been able to cope, No, not at all with this. So how would you characterize the way the conversation's.
Speaker 2: Gone, I would say so, I mean, yes, it's exactly what you said, right, Like, she was always petite, everyone knew that and she had this kind of athleticism in this pocket rocket We love a pocket rocket pop star, especially in this country with Kylie Hah, perfect example. But then from there you start seeing this uncomfortable sort of look at what's coming out that you see someone who is visibly emaciated. I think it's very fair to say that, and I know we're currently in this post body positivity era where you can't really say that about someone because it's not right to comment on someone's body. But it's just undeniable, like you can't deny that someone who is on camera, which famously adds ten pounds, already looks like a shell of their petite self. So it starts with you know, I guess I can't even remember when it crystallized. It really started because they started in Australian twenty twenty three. Everyone saw it and was like, okay, this is noticeably different to who we knew. And then there were the rumors that the cast was sort of engaging in this competitive under eating because the rest of them started to look extremely thin. And it was very much this discourse happening online or in quiet spaces, but not something that was being so addressed so publicly which makes us to now because I feel like we've really finally stopped looking at it like it's something to be speculated on and seen it visibly without a shadow of a doubt for what it is. And this is someone who is it emaciated, is inexcusably shockingly and very complicatedly thin in a public spotlight that is also on the top of their game. And it's I think it's very confusing for people to see that right now.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting as a woman and a kind of feminist, isn't it to talk about these things. I had Niki gammelr, film critic in here to talk about Wicked, the second film in the Wicked series, and I said to her in the interview that we did. Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erevo have transformed since the movie was short to now on the priest tool they're both very thin. And Nikki said, oh, yes, but we don't about women's bodies. And Nikki is, like me, a feminist of a certain age, and I totally respect her view. And that's one view of feminism that it's not right to talk about what women look like at all, so just leave it. But as the mother of a daughter and someone who has lots of younger women around me who I care deeply about, and I was once a young woman. I wonder do we have as women an obligation or a rite or a duty to speak about what you say a visibly starving person.
Speaker 2: I find it a very interesting conversation that it's kind of like this, Oh, you can't say that. That's like, that's mean or it's disparaging. This is not mean or disparaging. I think you can equate it to numerous other things that people have suffered from in the public eye, and that conversation is very warranted because it's seen as a vice or it's something that you're doing. This is a health concern, And I mean, I don't really like pinning it all on Ariana Grande, you know. I think she's become very much the unfortunate face of what is like a completely wider and a very systemic issue happening right now. Of we're just seeing body shit completely again, and the main change is how rapid it's happened. That's what bothers me. I don't really care about what people look like. I don't normally comment on what people look like. What I do comment on is when it is absolutely everywhere. It is so visible and it's so visceral that to me screams at a wider issue and a reminder that no matter what we'd like to think, no matter how far we'd like to think we've come, we will continue to think that starving yourselves for a public image is more important than cultivating just a reasonable sense of self and a healthy sense of self around it. I think with every generation there are waves of when we know that we're taking things too far in terms of body image, and there is kind of that rebuttal to what should be deemed healthy or what should be deemed appropriate within the realm of body and beauty. And then there's the antithesis, which is thin is back in, and it comes by every single generation. Then we find the new thing to blame for that, and it's never just this kind of conversation of like, okay, well, like we can acknowledge that there is a certain beauty standard that will always exist and or continue to perpetuate, but how are we actually speaking to people about what is reasonable for who you are. We're not people in the public spotlight, we're not celebrities. How do you divorce the fact that every single one of them are now currently in this shrinking cycle and not have that effect young people that are observing that and may think that's normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. How even in the past, let's take my adulthood, from the nineties through to now, there's been heroin chic, which everyone kind of blamed on magazines. You know, it was like, well, this wouldn't be happening. Kate Moss wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't the edit for the editors of the magazines who were putting on the front. Then it was it was the global runways that showed women and men looking extremely thin. And then there was kind of a few revolutions that the victorious secret kind of angel body came along and it's like, suddenly it's great to be very slim but also kind of voluptuous. And then the advent of women in hip hop kind of led these kind of junk in the trunk, gorgeous natural woman's body, womanly bodies are great again. And then it was body positivity, so it was like people actually called themselves fat activists and were very vocal about how it was important, and you could be fat and fit and fat and healthy, and then Ozempi came along.
Speaker 2: Straight out the window. So I came of age in the tumbler era and the body positivity eras two very divergent things where it was very cool privately to post pro anorexia content on your blog, and it was images now that I think were unforgivably shocking, though we're proliferating that space, and in the same length mid twenty tens, everyone was very happy to celebrate their bodies. I think, and I don't say this with any sense of glee or joy, but I think the body positivity movement has completely failed, mainly because it was a political movement with no teeth that everyone jumped the bandwagon because it was suddenly chic to embrace your natural self. There was no real kind of thought to it, and there was no real galvanization for that to be a sustaining force because we accepted the fact that there was maybe one fat model in every campaign, there was occasionally an overweight person on the cover of a magazine, and then the second that anything else could take you back to the standard of beauty that has been reinforced for generations. It was like it never happened genuinely. I think it was such a toothless movement in actuality and very much a kind of virtue signal for five years.
Speaker 1: Maybe if that.
Speaker 2: I think we're in an era of excess, and the relationship I've seen that have with various generations with physicality has always sort of been like this push and pull. So the eighties it was the commercialized as everything was in the eighties, but it was a commercialization of the body, like okay, we've got an ideal now. Everyone aspired to this, like you can do it too, and it was energetic and fun. You had like aerobics and you had anorexia, and you could do one publicly and one privately. And you know, I know she's fallen out of vogue now, but Naomi Kleins, the Beauty Myth, wrote about this, and I think part of her genius was framing it through the eyes of like, what would we be saying if dozens and hundreds of young men were throwing food off their plate and doing that daily, Like we couldn't see that was an issue yet. Then the nineties was you know, the ideal is still extremely thin and it is still extremely stuck in this small physicality. But your low waisted jeans will look amazing and the world might end with Y two UK, but will look hot doing it.
Speaker 1: I think about that time Who Weekly magazine had an annual half their size edition. God do you remember that? Yes, it was like, I mean, let's be honest. I mean, I'm so conditioned that I believe it when people do look amazing when they shd you know, yeah, tenkulos. Yeah, it's like getting a ten. I still think you look better with it.
Speaker 2: I know I said that ghostly pale right now, I can't wait, But now I think what we're looking at now in post COVID, there was an insane loneliness that fell upon the world, which is an enormous trigger to the way people perceive their bodies. And there's been so many studies regarding that that it can trigger something as extreme as an eating disorder, but also something as subtle as like reimagining the way you look at I think where we've had eras of physicality that's rooted in glamorization, aspiration, you know, commoditization. Now it is ritualization because it is so much easier quote unquote to be thinner and it is. It is omnipresent the way to lose weight now, like there are so many options. I've heard more about golp ones in the past week than I think I've heard about any sort of conversation about mental health, any sort of conversation about things that actually are important, Like it is just rooted in weight loss. And you're even seeing people who were absolute icons and absolutely celebrated for showing physicalities that were different to the norm be the faces of these drugs, like they are like Oprah, like Serena Williams, who I absolutely idolized, that was like a leading figure, top of her game, and now she's the face of an OZM pig variety.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm on row. They say golp ones, her weight loss is a shortcut. It's not it's science.
Speaker 2: Like what does that say to you? What does that say to anyone? So I look at now, at the wicked girls, I can't blame them, Like it just makes me so upset. Why wouldn't you fall into that?
Speaker 1: Coming up? So where does this conversation go from here? So back to Ariana Grande. You wrote your piece about what a remarkable kind of person she has been throughout her career. Famously, the Manchester Arena bombing, where many young fans died, was one of her concerts, Police later confirming a suicide bomber had killed twenty two in injured hundreds. So how did you overcome all of that and get back on stage?
Speaker 3: Well, I think just looking at my fans and the way that they're responded to it, and like, of course the city of Manchester and how they responded to it with so much like unity and strength and love and fearlessness. And I just never really seen anything like it.
Speaker 1: And she's such an interesting woman. She's clearly so talented. She's obviously suffering. She's withdrawn from a stage production that she was going to be in because of this discourse about her body. What do we owe Ariana Grunde. What should we be doing? Should we be expressing these opinions? Should we be staink.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I mean she's not a normal person, that's the thing. And I did make it very.
Speaker 1: Clear she is the face of this issue.
Speaker 2: I think when it comes to talking about this on a personal scale, you know, it's very hard to have this conversation with someone because they probably don't realize or they're probably very defensive, but she is unfortunately a face with three hundred and sixty million fans worldwide watching her. Everyone's observing it. Whether you like to accept it or not. When you're a public figure, you do have a bit of this, this unfortunate reality that people will comment on things. I think the cruelty people have shown to her is just God, it's appalling.
Speaker 1: But are we ever surprise?
Speaker 2: I think when we talk about these things, we do need to look at it from a broader cultural lens, which is she is probably the most famous face of it at the moment, but she's not the only one, and she's not the only thing that's driving it. I think the main thing actually when we talk to her about her in particular, is the absolute shamefulness of the people around her. That you will ring this person out who is unbelievably talented to their last bone to make money. Whoever decided that music video that came out with her looking like walking skeleton was appropriate should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. And it would have taken dozens, if not hundreds of people to have looked at that and thought that was okay.
Speaker 1: But I don need someone to save this music. Well, it's such a great conversation. I think we'll keep talking about it. Thanks Vianka, Thank you. Bianca far Marcus is The Australian's Content Director of Culture. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey, produced by Kristin Amiot and edited by Lead Samma Gloo. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Tiffany Dimack, Joshua Burton and Jasper Leek, who also wrote our theme