Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on gadigul Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country an elder's past and present.
Speaker 1: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. Well, well, well here we go. This is my last ever Scrollers record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Britney's last ever Scrollers record.
Speaker 1: New title, I'm Leaving Scrollers. Brittany is leaving Scrollers.
Speaker 2: Britney is leaving High Scrollers. Do you reckon? I reckon?
Speaker 1: Everyone will be like, oh, that's sad, but oh well, we'll still keep listening.
Speaker 2: No, I reckon. People will read that title and go the fuck she is, as if no one's gonna believe.
Speaker 3: Well, this is officially my last Scrollers record for two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thankfully you know, remember when I went to Europe last year, Brittany had some fill ins on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Well who did we have?
Speaker 2: We had Mitch, we had our competition winner and dedicated lifestyle.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And this year we only have two weeks, so no Scrollers will be joining me. I've lined up two of my friends from the industry to come in, and I'm very excited about both of them because the one guest is well, they've already been on Big Business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a big Business's been.
Speaker 2: In the game for a very long time, done a lot and done a lot, but I don't think we've ever done anything together. But we're good friends and we've spoken so much over the years, and I really am excited to get him on.
Speaker 1: And we'll give you a clue his brain a mini.
Speaker 2: Mini oh good clue. I don't know what that even means. I think I can guess, but I will try not to because it's up to you to guess. But the second guess, she is someone fabulous who again is a really good friend of mine, and I'm also excited to have her on the podcast. She's currently it's too much of a clue, hmm, a clue I might be able to help.
Speaker 4: Think of one of the most well known content creators in Australia right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, probably the biggest.
Speaker 3: And I want to say, not not who you think I reckon.
Speaker 1: People will hear that.
Speaker 4: And maybe very very influencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't go that angle, go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, think more spread across the entire media landscape, not just influencing.
Speaker 1: And leave it at that, because if we say anything more, then it's going to give.
Speaker 4: It away and also jump in the scroller's chat or put a little like thing there, and we want to see all your guesses.
Speaker 2: Guess who they are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you can guess the two, I'll give you a five percent off fate.
Speaker 1: Maybe ten.
Speaker 3: But yes, this is my last ever scrollers record for two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm having two weeks off.
Speaker 3: The pod and right now I am somewhere in ib No, I'm on a boat.
Speaker 2: I'm on a boat and can't wait for you to make yet another TikTok to that song.
Speaker 3: Surely I should. I might do the whole song this time. Oh you know I know that whole song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I know that entire song Lonely Island. I'm on a boat. I know every word. And you want to know what's really funny. I was listening to it the other day, like getting in the mood for it. There's one line and he goes, hey, ma, if you could see me now?
Speaker 2: Well, as you go across the seven Seas? Yeah too?
Speaker 1: Is that your new favorite thing? To say? The seven seas?
Speaker 2: But as you travel across the seven seeds, I thought before you go, we should you know, pay homage to your homeland of Australia, Because I saw a TikTok the other day and I thought, before you go, let's discuss some of the unwritten rules of Australia.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I saw this TikTok from the Advocate. She said, okay, Ossie's what are the unwritten rules of Australia? Not slang, not veggimar, not watch out for spiders. I mean the things that every Australian just knows but nobody ever thinks to explain.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I've got some comments as exam as examples, exam pills, and there are some that I agree with and some that I am like, what the heck is going on? I've never heard this in my life. So one of the top comments says, if you have a trolley, fool, and the person behind you only has a couple of groceries, you let them in front of you at the register. It's like an unspoken rule of Australia, like if I've got a full trolley and you've got two things, you just go first. Though you go first.
Speaker 1: I agree with that one.
Speaker 2: You don't go to kmart with a plan. Kmart tells you what you need.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree with that one.
Speaker 2: If you're crossing the street and a car stops for you, give the.
Speaker 1: Driver away, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Even if it's a designated crossing.
Speaker 1: Nah, yes, I will always wave.
Speaker 2: I'm the opposite. So if you if it's a crossing that you have to stop at, yes, if you, if you stop out of your way because to me, I go if you stop to let me go, and it's not a crossing, I know that at a crossing a driver must stop. That is the rule. So I'm not gonna like say thank you for following the rules.
Speaker 1: You should always just do a little wave only because I.
Speaker 2: Feel awkward no, yeah, okay, and I feel rude.
Speaker 1: Just like not looking.
Speaker 2: So I'm always like if it's like a refuge island and there's no crossing and I just get to the middle of the refuge island and then someone slows down and goes like or even if we're in like a car park or something and they stop and they go go go okay, thank you. Of course, if I get to a pedestrian crossing, first of all, I don't even look. I go because if they hit me, that's a lawsuit with a lot of money involved, so love that. And second of all, if you've stopped for me, No, I'm not saying thank you for stopping, because all you've done is follow the rules. You've actually done what you.
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying, but I'm still I'm awkward, so I just wave. I think another sort of it's not really an unspoken thing. But like one thing that I noticed a lot is when you're at a four way stop sign, like in a suburb, like I know the general rulers give way to your right.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, but it's whoever gets to the stop sign first. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I find, especially in Newcastle, like we just say, two cars come to meet and they're on my right, so I need to give way to them. I feel like a lot of the time people just go, just go, and like they give you the right of way even though it's their turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it, Hey, sorry, you say, what's a full ways? How do you stop? What's a four way stop? When you get to an intersection and there's a stop on everything, every single one, Why do think I've.
Speaker 3: Ever seen there's so many Newcastle it's always like give way to your right, but they'll always.
Speaker 1: Be like you go.
Speaker 2: But I think that's because that would be me, because I don't know whose fucking turn it is. So I'm just like everybody else go, I'll just wait way to your right. No, not to stop sign. If it's four way stop sign, it's whoever at any stop sign, it's whoever got their first goes first.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I always just to give way to your right.
Speaker 2: Yes, so well, ship don't quote me, but basically, like say this street across horizontally cross across in front of you, if that's got traffic going on it, and I'm gonna stop sign and you're at a stop sign over there, Like if it was give way, I would have to give way for you coming out. But if I got to the stop sign first and then you pull up, I actually go before you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it says on these it apply the give way to the right rule.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm completely wrong there.
Speaker 1: So I always give way to the right.
Speaker 2: At a stop sign, you always stop.
Speaker 1: That's not a moment I did my ls.
Speaker 2: Shit, I have been using stop sign stop, so I will go. I've been cutting people off. I have one hundred percent. I'll own that I have one hundred percent been cutting people off at stop signs since the day I was born, Like I have been.
Speaker 1: Give way to your right.
Speaker 2: I always learned first to the stop is first to go.
Speaker 3: But if they're on your right, but if you're directly across from each other, then whoever gets there first.
Speaker 2: I've got four stop signs, and you're saying, give way to your right. So if I come and stop and they come and stop, I'm going I go.
Speaker 4: But I think maybe if they if they're still going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you've got there well and truly first, I would say you still have to stop. If you're there well and truly before them, sure you go. But if you're basically getting there at the same time, it's always give way to your right.
Speaker 2: Of course I would wait if we both pull up at the same time, but if even a second before, if I'm the one who stops for even half a second.
Speaker 1: Before, I'll always signal for them to go.
Speaker 2: Ah. Wow.
Speaker 1: So you're cut people off every.
Speaker 2: Day, one hundred percent, and I'll own that and I'll probably continue to do it. And you're waving them as well. I don't say thank you. We learned that as well.
Speaker 1: God, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Well, I am so sorry to everyone. I've ever cut off at a stop sign, but I have followed the rule that first in, first out.
Speaker 1: Another unspoken rule I'm trying to think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you know that hip hip hooray is an Australian thing? Yes? I didn't. Didn't you When you say hip, that's just.
Speaker 3: An Australian thing? In America, they just finish it. Happy birthday to you?
Speaker 2: And did you know that Happy Birthday? The song is copyrighted? So if you listen, if you watch a movie, you actually never hear them singing happy Birthday. You just hear them going happy Birthday. Any movie ever, you will see that they never sing that song that.
Speaker 4: Always makes a weird one in movies and shows me like it's happy, happy birthday and dead and they're like, why are they singing that?
Speaker 2: And copyright Yeah? No no play, Yes, which is not a great rule. Let's unpack that, Like when you think about no hat, no play. When we were younger, it wasn't really an issue. I feel like everyone wore a hat anyway. Yeah, but isn't that good that that is a rule at our schools.
Speaker 3: I think it's great and I'll never forget. I was on the debating team in primary school and we went to another school and I think my primary school, jesmind Primary was a little bit more relaxed on the hats in the playground kind of thing, like it was kind of a rule, but like whatever. And then we went to do debating at another local school and I think we started the debating and then it was lunch and so we were coming back to do the debating and none of us from our school brought hats with us, so we weren't allowed to go outside for the lunch time. And I remember being really embarrassed that I couldn't go out and play.
Speaker 2: That would be embarrassing.
Speaker 4: You know why that got brought in was because all that all the skin cancer stuff really came out massive in the two thousands and so one of the big ways of educating the new generation of Australia was to push it into schools so we're no had no play for anything, stuck with it.
Speaker 2: It worked well and truly someone again driving when someone leaves a gap or lets you in when on the road, you wave thank you, yeah, one hundred percent. Even if so that's the difference with the crossing, sometimes I think too much because even if it's like even if I've merged and they barely even gave me any route, like as in, they barely did anything to let me in, like I would have got in whether they let me in or not. I'll always just wave to the person behind me no matter what. Yep, this one says we for some reason don't take energy stickers off fridges or washing machines. Do you not do that? Yes? I take them all off. I need it, gets on, I go get that ship.
Speaker 1: I hate you never needed those people.
Speaker 3: It's the same way you keep your MacBook box and your laptop box or your iPhone box I might need one day. When has anyone ever needed their laptop box.
Speaker 2: I've gotten rid of that from the get go.
Speaker 1: No, I reckon.
Speaker 3: Everyone keeps it and you put it in your undidrawer or something, or your iPhone box.
Speaker 2: I used to.
Speaker 4: I used to keep them, and then people like you don't need them. I was like, yeah, I've never needed them.
Speaker 2: I am someone who the peely ship on anything. Peel off, get it off, like everything bye. And you find that they haven't done it, and you do it, they go, what are you doing? Yeah? One of them one of my friends did that to someone's TV and was the actual screen and the whole screen. Yeah, and you can tell.
Speaker 3: Who AJ's mum still has the plastic on their fridge that's like five minutes old and it's all bubbling and peeling, and every time I go up, peel a little bit more off.
Speaker 2: No, Oh my god. I remember in Lockdown we had a fridge that was like bubbling and peeling and stuff. So I went to camar and I got like Marble contact paper.
Speaker 3: Marble was so in for your school books, Marble and rose gold.
Speaker 2: And so we marbled the fridge with the Marble like contact tape, contact tape. It looked way worse. I was like, this is going to revolution as the kitchen.
Speaker 3: Remember you, you're at twenty seventeen and all Lina and Marble with rose Gold and everything.
Speaker 2: I will admit I still love Marble. I love Marble. Yeah, do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Most people would agree with you on that.
Speaker 2: No, but that's fine. This one. Don't litter. It's very serious, so be a toss up. It is in my blood to not litter. Like I can't actually fathom having a having a piece of rubbish and just throwing it on the ground. That's actually something my body could not physically do. And did you know I saw that happening in Europe. You might see that happening in Europe. People just throwing rubbish just on the ground, in fact, in Greece. Was it in Greece? Yeah, I believe it was in Greece. Is actually throwing rubbish into waterways like little rivers or you know, creeks along the side of the road, like people would just finish their drink like you know, dare asked coffee or whatever it had been, throw it in. Now they had bins. They had bins everywhere, like Athens. We spent some time in Athens and that's really where I noticed, like the rubbish, But I got it was interesting because I got home and after spending all my time in Europe and I feel like I'm having DJVW. We Matter spoken about this on the podcast. I did make a video about it, but people got really offended by the video. But what I was saying was, and I think you might notice this, and I'm interested to see if you notice this is here in Australia. Our recycling and environment and the things we're doing for the environment is like top priority for us, right we don't have plastic bags, we don't have plastic straws. A lot of those sorts of things are legal in some places, some places not. But the thing that I noticed is after we went to America, which plastic everything. We had plastic bags, plastic straws, and even in America, the plastic straws would then come into plastic coating. They had to rip off first and then put the plastic and you know, none of them had like the recycling label on it or anything like that. Anyway, the point is I really noticed that Barcelona, Spain, actually has the best trash rubbish system out of everywhere I saw. Switzerland was like really clean and stuff like that, and I'm sure they had a good kind of system going, but some countries I went to. It did make me think, Wow, we do so much in Australia, but how will we ever make a difference when other countries around the world are doing this? And it kind of felt like Australia like I was kind of like I'm suffering. I don't know, it's dramatic, and I was like, I'm suffering with my paper straws in my iced coffee which lasts about four fucking minutes. Meanwhile the rest, you know, Europe or like, let's say, where was it Greece, you know, if Greece has plastic straws everywhere, I'm like, okay, so I'm suffering with my our little Australia, A little Australia over in the corner of the world's trying to be like, come on, everyone, let's save the environment. And then you go to America, one of the biggest countries in the world with the big population, and everyone's drinking out of plastic straws that are wrapped in plastic and all their groceries are in plastic bags and plastic plastic plasta. Do you know what I mean? And I wonder if you'll notice that in Europe that again some places, fully you're like, yep, everything's recycling properly, blah blah blah. But it kind of made me be like, what the hell am I doing all this? Like why am I hell am I doing all this work in Australia suffering with my grocery bags ripping because.
Speaker 1: Their paper our country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that doesn't work. If America's not picking up the slack, Australia is still going to get fucked by America with you know, global warming, etc. Climate change?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I mean anyway, I just wonder if you'll notice that when you're over there, because that's one of the biggest things I know is I felt jipped. And I'm all for it. I'm happy to have the paper straw for the like. I'm not saying, fuck it, we need plastic straws back, That's not what I'm saying. I'm happy to make those changes in my life for the greater good. But it was disheartening to be in other countries and see that they don't care as much, and I go, well, then what the fuck am I doing? Because if it was the opposite, if I was in America and we had if we had America's population, and we would do and that, and then America had our population and they were plastic plasticking it up, I'd go, Okay, good, we're out weighing the bad. But I'm going little old Australia is barely making a dent when the rest of the world is not doing what we're doing. Anyway, I got a lot of hate for saying that online, like I got so it was kind of wild. The amount of people who Yeah, and again, it's just one of those things that people on the internet like. Because I mentioned that I saw people throwing like rubbish, and I mean locals, not tourists, like locals throwing rubbish into the waterways. There's no way anyone would do that. You're lying, babe. I start up with my own fucking eyes, babe, Like, what do you mean, I just made that up.
Speaker 1: That's Rand of the week.
Speaker 2: Well it is my round of the week. That's Rid of the week anyway. Anyway, that's that on that you let me know if you notice that. Anyway, have gone bon voyage and I can't wait to replace you for two weeks. I'm gonna have the time of my bloody life. Yeah, you're welcome, Scrollers. Don't forget to thanks.
Speaker 3: To our guests in advance for coming on and keep my seat warm while I'm away.
Speaker 2: Nice like scholars. You're in for a fucking treat.
Speaker 1: It's going to be done, you know what. I'm excited to listen to the episode.
Speaker 2: Will you listen while you're in Europe?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, gorgeous. Well, i'll see you in a few weeks. Have fun and Scrollers, we'll see you next Tuesday,