Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, November twenty eight, twenty twenty five. The Australian Defense Force will have to rely on an aging, vulnerable commercial satellite for battlefield communications for up to eight years after the acting of a planned seven billion dollar system in a cost cutting measure. Experts say the intelsat Is twenty two satellite system is no longer fit for purpose and risks being jammed in an electronic warfare attack. A concerted push by Muslim groups and the Australian Human Rights Commission to remove religion as a motivation for terrorist acts has angered Jewish bodies and legal experts, who warn the move will underline intelligence work while leaving communities exposed to attacks. Fifteen Muslim groups have made a submission to a legislative review say the current laws marginalize their community. One of Australia's best known and most colorful politicians, Barnaby Joyce, is quitting the National Party and maybe going to Pauline Hanson's One Nation at some time in the future. For now, he'll sit on the cross benches as an independent in the House of representatives. Sarah Son joins me in a moment. Sarah Eison is a senior political journalist in the Australians Federal Parliamentary Press Gallery Bureau. Sarah, I can't help myself whenever I hear the name Barnaby Joyce. I hear a little group of girls seeing Barnaby Joyce in the tune of Chattanooga Chu Chu from the Sewan macaulif Skich show mad as Hell is Barnaby Joyce. Barnaby is an intriguing character in Australian politics, isn't he he is?
Speaker 2: I think you have that, which is what comes to mind. What I always have that comes to mind is when Barnaby became leader last time, and he's done that a few times. I was at the press conference. I was a very new journalist in Parliament and I got my question and I asked him, you know, Barnaby, you're the leader again. How long have you been planning this? And of course we've been writing about this for days or weeks, about the speculation. And Barnaby looks into my eyes and no word of a lie on the record. His real comment was, well, Sarah, if I knew this was going to happen today, I would have brought my hat. That gave me an insight very early on about exactly the kind of character of this man, the fact that in questions and in so much else in life and politics, he does things very differently, and he is a brand and a man unto himself.
Speaker 1: I first interviewed Barnaby Joyce when he was a News senator. He'd been elected as a Queensland senator actually, and he was famously a Queenslander back then, and I was set up to interview him, and he'd spoken somewhere about how he loves swimming in the surf and that was something he did every morning. And I said to him on the phone setting up this interview, but you're going to have to get in the surf for us, and we're going to take some photos of you swimming. And he said, okay, but only if you get into so as is the life of a Genno, I found myself at some country airport buying whatever swimsuit they had in the gift shop, so and I had to get into water with Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last time I had a very long interview with Barnaby Claire was for a really big piece on his battle with prostate cancer and the fact he'd gotten his prostate removed. And it was a great piece. It was informative, it was personal, but still there were certain moments that left things to be desired. I asked him how life is now, and he kind of gave me this look and he said, let's just say some things don't work like they used to.
Speaker 1: I think those stories will tell us really the same thing that he's very good at wrong footing you, Barnaby Joyce. He very much manages to keep his feet by ensuring that he's opponent, whether it's a journalist or a political opponent, it's never quite sure what he's going to do or say next. Of course, in twenty thirteen he transferred to the House of Representatives, representing the seat of New England, which is of course in New South Wales, and then spend a lot of years in and around the leadership of the National Party. He's now leaving the NATS and becoming an independent.
Speaker 2: So after thirty years with the National Party, I am resigning from the party and that really leads me with the heavy heart, and I apologize for all the hurt that that will cause other people.
Speaker 1: I really do Joyce says he might join One Nation in the future. I haven't made that decision yet. I've made a decisions too. Well, that's I don't know I've made that decision. He'll be one of eleven independents. There are, of course, ninety four seats held by the Australian Labor Party and forty three by the opposition. What's the point of being an independent in that parliament? The government can get its legislation through without a single independent vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you could say the same thing about if he'd joined One Nation. Obviously he wants to join One Nation at the next election on the Senate ticket. His option outside of becoming an independent would have been to be in One Nation's MP right, and the same thing as what you're saying, what's the point would be a similar question. And I think the reason he's done this is just he's really had enough and regardless of the timing and maybe the impact he could have within the NATS and the coalition, he's over it and he wanted to defect.
Speaker 1: Pauline Hanson has been aggressively courting Barnaby Joyce. What would she see in him?
Speaker 2: I mean, he is a firebrand politician. He has a brand, and that brand on pretty much every point. Maybe not some social policies, but points that matter, particularly climate change. Those views of his that he's very loud about, I mean they align with herbs. Barnaby is someone that people know his name, just like people know who Pauline Hanson is.
Speaker 1: Barnaby I suspect would want to be leader. He's a bit of a natural leader. I think he likes to be listened to. It's going to be difficult to have him in the room but not have him be the boss, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I think people think different things about this. You're right, Barnaby likes to be the leader, but he is getting on. I spoke to Barnaby earlier this year for a big interview with The Australian about his battle with prostate cancer and how that had really brought things home for him when it came to his family and mortality and so on. So to say that he will definitely have leadership ambitions, I don't think we can be sure of that necessarily. Also, One Nation is so different to not just the NATS but the Coalition. I feel like he's just going to be given such free reign and so much prominence with this party, almost a pseudo leader in a way. He'll be up all the time. I mean, I think he could almost be leader and everything, but name, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Coming up, wouldn't it have been better to quit politics altogether and hand the seat back to the Nats. There's a school of thought that if you're a member of the House of Representatives, you have won your seat as yourself, but also as a representative of your party. He was elected as a National's MP. Some might argue that the right thing to do if you decide you don't want to be in your party anymore is to resign your seat and to let a by election happen, give the party an opportunity to put someone else in and win it back. Why is Barnaby Joyce not doing that.
Speaker 2: Because he wants to stay on in Parliament. I mean, obviously he wants to write the next election on the Senate ticket of One Nation and just being out of the game for all of that time. I don't think that's necessarily that smart. The thing is, though, Barnaby also views the way that he's gone about all of this is actually in pretty good faith. As much as a lot of his colleagues disagree. So I mean, we can point out a heap of people who defected from their party and sat as an independent with no intention of giving the seat back. Like you can think of Andrew g who was a National as well. You could think of maybe David Van or Fatima Payment. That was something where they said, oh it doesn't matter, I want this place with a party, I want to hold it by myself. Barnaby doesn't want to do that. Like, yes, he is going to keep sitting in the New England seat for now, but his long term plan, which has always been pretty clear, is that he would run on the Senate tickt of one Nation, essentially handing New England back to the Nationals with what he says is a pretty big kitty in terms of how much fundraising he does and so on. So again, in Barnaby's view, he has done the right thing.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt Barnaby Joyce is talented and articulate and intelligent, but he's also accident prone. He tends to attract scandals. Do you think the Nats are glad to see the back of him?
Speaker 2: Like maybe yes and no, I suppose yes. In terms of scandals yes. In terms of the Nats say, no, one can tell Barnaby what to do. That's what a lot of his colleagues say when it comes to this latest affection. They said, we could beg and play with him, but if he has decided he's going to go, he's going to go.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: In terms of his fundraising capacity, he is one of the top fundraisers of the Nationals outside of Matt Canavan and Bridget McKenzie and formerly just Enterprise. He's now with the Liberals and no in terms of his brand, if you think of the Nationals, he's probably a name that comes to mind straight away and that'll all go with Barnaby and what that will mean for the party and it's resourcing financially and in how much people know about the Nats talk about the Nets. That's a question and I think it is a loss in some ways to the party.
Speaker 1: Sarah Eisen is a senior political reporter with The Australian in Canberra. You can check out all our reporting and analysis right now at Beaustralian dot com dot au.