Speaker 1: Why on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry.
Speaker 3: Thanks Andrew, good evening, Welcome to the show tonight to Anthony Alberizie's embarrassing remarks about Donald trump come back to haunt him. How will the Prime Minister handle this? If Trump wins in just two days, I'll bring you.
Speaker 2: His comments in a moment.
Speaker 3: I've got full coverage on the election tonight with our former ambassador to Washington, Joe Hockey, plus Ross Greenwood in New York will bring you the latest intel on the battleground states. Plus I'll bring you exclusive polling on who labor voters have picked to lead the party if they could choose a different leader, and the answer will make alban Eazy very nervous. That exclusive polling coming up. Also tonight, the Home Affairs Department plays counsel culture with the Australian flag. Well, shouldn't they be focused on national security?
Speaker 2: I'll show you the moment James.
Speaker 3: Patterson calls out their wopped priorities. But first tonight, the Prime Minister embarrassed over remarks where he strongly criticized Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: The comments now coming back to haunt him.
Speaker 3: On the eve of the US election, alberize he was a senior labor figure. When he said that he had concerns about Trump, who was already president at the time, he also said that he scares the s out of him.
Speaker 4: Have a look, we have an alliance with the US. We're going to deal with him, but that doesn't mean that you're uncritical about it. He scares out of me, and I think it's of some concern that the leader of the free world thinks that you can conduct politics through one hundred and forty characters on Twitter.
Speaker 3: So Alberizi complaining there as he said that we've got to deal with him.
Speaker 2: This is embarrassing.
Speaker 3: And Alberizi was Shadow Transport and infrastruct Minister at the time. He was a senior figure in the shortened team. He should have known better than to speak in such a juvenile fashion about the then president of the nation that Australia relies.
Speaker 2: On for our national security.
Speaker 3: And for this to emerge at a time when his own government is scrambling to get in to make ties with teen Trump. Well, when you think about it, there are actually a lot of similarities between Alberizi and Kamala Harris. Alber Ezi spent his career as a left faction warrior, only to suddenly try and reposition himself in the political center when he became Labor leader, he claimed that he'd abandoned.
Speaker 2: His far left instincts.
Speaker 3: It led to front pages like this one where Albernezi declared I am not woke.
Speaker 2: Many of us found that claim hard to believe.
Speaker 5: Albert declared himself a centrist who would govern four mainstream Australia and to prove he was safe for readers, reporter Joe Hildebrand put the opposition leader to the woke test and got all the right answers.
Speaker 6: Can men have babies?
Speaker 5: No Captain Cook, Giro or zero world changer?
Speaker 2: Does Australia need to spend more or less on defence?
Speaker 7: More negative gearing?
Speaker 2: Keep or ditch Keep?
Speaker 3: In my view, there wasn't nearly enough scrutiny on Albanesi before the last election, and when I reported on his radical left positions over the years, he was pretty angry about it. Albanzey didn't want anyone to know about his past, like that it actually supported death taxes. He'd also previously criticized capitalism and family wealth as causes of social injustice. Albanzey pretended to voters that he'd been an economics advisor in the legendary Haut government, but in fact, as I reported, he was only a research officer for a hard left minister who.
Speaker 2: Wasn't in cabinet.
Speaker 3: And on Israel would don't get me started, but there were plenty of warning signs.
Speaker 2: Albinizi had lashed out at.
Speaker 3: Israel, claiming it had acted disproportionately when defending its citizens from.
Speaker 2: Terror attacks, and he also demanded the.
Speaker 3: Coalition explain why it voted against a United Nations move to launch an investigation into Israel's so called indiscriminate use of force against Palestinians.
Speaker 2: These should have been red flags.
Speaker 3: The whole attempt to reposition Albanzi was a farce. He never abandoned his lifelong principles, He just pretended that he changed. And now Albinze's Prime ministership is failing, mostly because of his inability to govern for mainstream Australians.
Speaker 2: I challenge you.
Speaker 3: To think of anything he has actually personally achieved. You only have to look at Peter malanowskis in Adelaide or Chrismin's in New South Wales to see the model of a modern, successful centrist labor leader now over in America. Like alban Easy, Kamala Harris has spent her career as a Californian Liberal. She's the very definition of woke. The Republicans only have to look at comments she's made in the past for their adverts.
Speaker 6: Kamala supports taxpayer funded sex changes for prisoners.
Speaker 8: Surgery for prisoners for prisoners. Every transgender in me in the prison system would have access. This administration has decided to vilify them and to trade on them for the sake of this president's medieval vanity project called IWAL. There's no question I'm in favor of banning fracking.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: The Wall Street Journal editorial board says that her candidacy is best understood as an attempt by the Democrats to continue the progressive political wave, and that editorial describes the modern left's bloody mindedness, with its regulatory coercion, its cultural imperialism, its economic statism, and its desire to strip judicial independence. They say that Harris's progressive politics might be tolerable if Miss Harris showed evidence on foreign affairs that she understands the world's current dangerous moment. Yet she defends the last four years as a security success, despite two Wars adversaries on the March and the US Navy playing Waka missile in the Red Sea. And they also conclude that Kamala Harris is unprepared to deal with She or Vladimir Putin. And now even CNN has called Kamala Harris out for running different messages on Gaza and Israel in different states. In Michigan, which reportedly has the largest Arab population in America, here are Kamala Harris's adverts.
Speaker 8: What has happened in Gaza over the past nine months is devastating. We cannot allow ourselves to become numb to the suffering, and I will not be silent.
Speaker 3: I won't be silent on the suffering. But then over in Pennsylvania, where Kamala is trying to win over Jewish voters, will here's her message.
Speaker 8: I will always stand up for Israel's right to defend itself, and.
Speaker 10: I will always ensure Israel has the ability to defend itself because the people of Israel must never again face the horror that a terrorist or organization called hermas calls on October seventh, This.
Speaker 2: Is so appalling.
Speaker 3: These mixed messages that even CNN criticized.
Speaker 2: Her over it.
Speaker 11: You have two entirely different constituencies and they are getting two entirely different messages. If you are a Jewish person in Pennsylvania, you saw that ad that you're getting, You are getting that athe Muslim voter in Michigan, you are getting that ad on Facebook that's talking about talking about how she won't be silent on the issue of Gaza.
Speaker 3: Kamala Harris wants to be the president of the US, but her message is change depending on which battleground state you're in, depending on what you want to hear. She seems to be the American replica of alban Easy, and we've seen that his left wing instincts couldn't be suppressed forever.
Speaker 2: Now this is arguably the.
Speaker 3: Most critical election in our recent history. Our enemies are emboldened and they're collaborating to weaken us in the West. Only a strong leader of the free world can stop their assault on democracy and on Western civilization, and this can only be achieved through the Reagan model of peace through strength.
Speaker 2: This is the leadership that's needed.
Speaker 3: Right now, not constant calls for a ceasefire, not half hearted support for Ukraine and not turning a blind eye to China's wargames. Okay, we've got a lot coming up for more. Now let's cross live to the US to New York where I've got Ross Greenwood and it's just gone four am local time. Ross, thank you for getting up so early for us.
Speaker 2: Look in New.
Speaker 3: York, Wall Street has mostly swung behind Donald Trump. What's your opinion on the view that the economy and the stock market will be stronger under a Trump presidency.
Speaker 12: Well, there's no doubt that Wall Street has swung behind him, although it has waived in the past day or so. That surprise Iowa Pole, which suggested that Kamala Harris could be in front there probably has just led to a few wobbles in terms of currency markets, bond markets, and share markets as well. But in the main you're right, they have swung behind Donald Trump, and the reason for that is because they believe that he will bring down taxes, not just for companies but for individuals. Now, there is some concern about the implication of what he means when he says that he wants to exchange taxes in the United States for tariffs, taking the United States back to a system that was around in the early nineteen hundreds until income tax was created. Now, the reality is that big tariffs on Chinaese imported goods, some say, would add to inflation. He says, it's the way to actually get America going to bring manufacturing on shore, to bring jobs on shore, to bring technology on shore, and to ensure or the Chinese goods, in many cases where the intellectual property has been stolen or basically copied effectively does not come back into America as chief goods. So this is the sort of rhetoric that goes around not just the Trump campaign, but also around the financial markets. Which is the reason why though you're right to say that New York is very much a Democrat stronghold, it also resonates in other parts of it, like say, for example, the race for the Congress. A lot of people right now even today the New York Times talking about the importance of New York in the Congress because the Republicans helped to grab control of the Congress because of key votes that they picked up here in New York. And that's the reason why there so many different votes that are coming out in two days time on Tuesday are really going to be very important for this nation.
Speaker 3: Ross this is I was actually, I've got to say it, quite shocked when I saw that this story had taken off in such a strong way on the weekend. And I don't know if all of our viewers have heard about it tonight. Peanut the squirrel, this has been massive, especially in.
Speaker 2: New York on the weekend before the election.
Speaker 3: So basically, the police have come in and killed a man's two pets, a squirrel and a raccoon. It just so happened that I understand the squirrel was a you know, a social media star. I mean, this sounds weird, but it's been such a big story, and Russell's resonated across America because it's an example of government overreach of government control while there's a sense that actual criminals are getting off scott free.
Speaker 2: Are a protected species.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so it actually gets mixed up with the migration message. That's the funny thing about dear old Peanut the squirrel and Fred the raccoon is the other one as well. And so the New York Post sort of highlighted this and basically made the observation that really, people have rated this person's house. You know, you're right about peanut being a bit of an internet sensation. So either somebody's got jealous or somebody says that the squirrel hasn't been kept in the rights of environment or whatever it might be. So they've actually taken these pets away, euthanize the pets. But then now even jd Vance has called this out, said that Trump's not happy about this. But it really is sort of almost resonates about the fact that, you know, under the Democrats, many Americans believe that the country is over governed, and you mentioned earlier on in your editorial about you know, Australians feeling that same way they are over governed, and so this really has almost become a bit a little emblematic in the way in which Americans do feel in this election. And also say, for example, we're going there later on today to go and see the famous Roosevelt Hotel, one of the most famous hotels in America, which has now become a migration center, so people remember that many Americans coming, so many people coming to America for the first time. We've gone through Ellis Island. Well, this is the New l As Island, one of the traditionally flashiest hotels in New York City is now basically a migrant center for people who have come illegally into this country and gravitated towards New York City. So that again is become a bit of a flashpoint in this election.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: And just to add to that, Elon Musks speaking about this, and it's such a big issue, this pin up the squirrel that the Wall Street Journal even did an editorial on it. Ross just quickly before you go, you went to Trump Tower today, You've been to pre polling booths today, I should say, yesterday.
Speaker 2: Your time.
Speaker 3: Tell us how you're finding voter sentiment on the ground, keeping in mind, of course, as you say that New York is a Democrat state.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, we're at the marathon. We met at Trump Towers, and of course there you'll see a lot of visitors, so you do get sort of a glimpse of what's happening around the country. The one interesting thing about this election is the pre polling. Now, at the previous election, twenty twenty election, sixty four percent of people in America pre polled, So, in other words, I'm almost one hundred million votes out of one hundred and fifty eight million votes that were cast were prepolled. And the interesting part about it is in the previous they broadly one to the Democrats, but this time around, in surveys that have been done, it suggests that in twenty six of the states where there has been pre polling monitored, that twelve have gone towards the Republicans, fourteen have gone towards the Democrats. And so it really again shows the call from both Kamala Harris and Donald Trump for people to get out and prepole has resonated there and certainly on the streets the people that we've spoken to have done so in their drives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and we've seen the Democrats clearly very worried about this early pre polling vote. All Right, Ross Greenwood Live in New York, thank you so much for your time, and we'll tune into the rest of your analysis this week. All Right, let's bring it now Sky News host Steve Price and Joe Hildebrand, and let's start with Albanezi's US style political rally in Adelaide on the weekend in a school hall, where he emphatically declared.
Speaker 2: That the worst was behind us.
Speaker 3: When it comes to the inflation crisis, pretty disingenuous, spare and seeing is so many families are struggling with this cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: Let's have a look.
Speaker 13: While there are still challenges to meet, still problems to solve, still people under pressure who need our help. When we look at the economy today, we can see new reasons for optimism, a new proof that the worst is behind us.
Speaker 2: The worst is behind us.
Speaker 3: Well, is this his new narrative that the cost of living crisis is over? When he flies business class he buys a clifftop mansion. I mean, I think if that's his message, voter, is it going to punish him for not understanding Steve Price?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 7: Well, I think what we saw there and what we can smell is an election. I mean, what the hell is he doing? I mean that presentation yesterday was just so bizarre, But I think it gives us a bit of an indication of what's going to happen whenever that election is called, and it's now more likely than not, looking like maybe March. But he's going to lean heavy on the two labor premiers that you mentioned at the beginning of the program, Shari, and that is Peter malanowskis in South Australia and Christopher Min's in New South Wales. He knows they're popular. He knows that the middle voters think that those two guys, a bit like Steve Brax in Victoria a few years ago, are the type of labor premier or the labor politician that you can trust to look after you. So I think we really saw yesterday of the start of the election campaign for twenty twenty five. I just think Joe's mate was over there pretending to be you know, I saw a cross between Kamala Harrison and Donald Trump and getting everyone to clap and cheer for him on a Sunday. How much would they have had to pay those people to go there on a Sunday for God's sake?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Joe Albanezey does no media interviews at all for five days and then he turns up with this US style appearance where he takes no questions.
Speaker 2: That's great, he's our Donald Trump. You can trust him.
Speaker 14: Look, I think obviously has been a pretty brick is in week in the media for the PM, and that's clear. Some of it is self inflicted, some of it is just you know, the big storm that all politicians have to go through all the time. And as Winston Churchill said, a politician complaining about the press, it's like a sailor complaining about the sea. But he's obviously decided to keep his head down. I don't really have a problem with anything he said. To be honest, I think clearly the worst is behind us. The numbers speak for themselves that that is an undeniable I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to, you know, I don't want to interrupt you. I should say I will disagree, because actually the effect can be cumulative on people. So initially people had savings still from the COVID pandemic period. Now they don't have those savings anymore. A lot of people's mortgages are also coming off the fixed rate, so it's actually not true one it can be cumulative and other people are freshly exposed to the pain.
Speaker 14: That is absolutely fair enough. But he's talking about how the economy is sitting, and he did say, I know that people are doing it tough, and I, you know, and again I'm in a very fortunate position. But we've gone backwards as well in this thing, and it scares of for Jesus out of me and it stresses me out, makes me terrible to live with sometimes and gone.
Speaker 3: Backwards except for album Clifftop Magical.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, he's obviously in his personal states, he's going just fine. But he did say that he knew that people were still really struggling, but he was giving them some hope and some reassurance. I don't think saying we're all ruined.
Speaker 6: We're all ruined.
Speaker 14: You know, it's the end of the world as we know it. That doesn't help the economy and it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't help that, but it's just a bit of understanding about what voters are going through. Well, he did make that pledge to wipe twenty percent off the hex debt of three million ausies.
Speaker 2: Now this is a.
Speaker 3: Sixteen billion dollar promise for just three million students, and the PM was spooking that again today. Now, firstly, the Coalition argues that tax payers are ready pay for sixty percent of the cost of students education. But Steve, this is a classic case of wealth redistribution. And by the way, why should all all Australians have to pay for the debt of some students. Find some students are hard working, but others are just lazy protesters.
Speaker 7: Well, I've got to make an admission here. I have a daughter who has a sixty five thousand dollars hex stet. After five years studying to become a lawyer, she's now got a really good job. She never complains about it. She's not asked me for one cent. So let me just put that out there. But I did think it find it very intriguing that suddenly we're going to all us other taxpayers and imagine all the taxpayers out there that are not doing it such a good doing it so well now who are really struggling. I don't think they want to put their hand up and pay off people's hex debt. That's a huge promise. It's going to be very interesting now to see how Peter Dutton handles this because obviously that is a promise. It's going to sit well with younger voters, but I don't think it's going to sit very well with middle Australia and older voters.
Speaker 3: There's also the debt issue to the budget bottom line. But Joe is about labor trying to win votes back from the Green.
Speaker 14: Absolutely correct, it is, and that's right. That's usually if measures are off budget. It's because there are things like government owned corporations that are meant to turn a profit, so it's not actually a cost to the war chest the treasury chess because that entity is meant to be operating as a private entity or operating in the private sphere. I don't see, and I agree with sauls Like and Chris Richardson. I don't see how on earth you can make that argument here. It's clearly a reguard action to try to throw a bone to young voters who are eyeing off the Greens. I think they might be able to pick up a couple of seats maybe if they're lucky in Brisbane. Joe Biden did this in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Billion, and Joe Biden a couple of seats, a.
Speaker 14: Lot of people and a lot of Joe Biden did well. Not just that, but more to make labor more attractive to young people in the long term, because the Greens are eating that way and anything labor can do to beat the Greens is good for Australia.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if at the cost of sixteen billion, I would pay.
Speaker 14: Ten billion dollars they see Max Chandler bar kicked out of his seat.
Speaker 3: All right, Steve, we learned tonight in that we learned tonight and the Herald Son that five Jewish schoolgirls leaving.
Speaker 2: An exam for their VCE were abused with schoolboys shouting hitler slurs.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's so many cases like this, so many businesses targeted.
Speaker 2: Basically nothing ever happens.
Speaker 7: When is this going to stop? Those girls had been at a psychology exam and as the head of the school they attend said, you know, maybe these young men should have been at the psychology exam. I mean, what sort of country are we now living in when five girls who have been studying hard on the VCE on their way home on a tram and these these absolute morons start shouting stuff like that at them. I mean, you've done such a fantastic job prosecuting the case to try and put a lid on Adi Semitism in this country, Shari, You've personally invested in it, and yet you've got these You've got what's going on in those boys' homes when they get home tonight? I mean, I hope someone can work out who they are. They weren't wearing uniforms, but somebody in those streets will know exactly who they are. Their parents sort of grabbed them by the year, drag them down to their school tomorrow and tell the teachers at that school what those boys did. They ought to be expelled from the school for the rest of the year, and someone's got to get hold of them and put them into some sort of re education. It's not on it's pathetic and it's dangerous.
Speaker 3: Very well said Steve, really well said, I mean joj's very quickly this social cohesion breakdown.
Speaker 2: We're seeing it across the country.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we are, and it's something extremely ugly. It's something that started sadly the day after October seventh last year. And again talked about Chris Mins before about how he just instinctively knows how to nip these issues as much as you possibly can in the bard and to have completely de escalating and welcome and but also strong language, a very clear message that there is absolutely no tolerance for this kind of behavior in Australia. Whatever your pet peeve, whatever your pet issue, whatever's happening in the Old Country or overseas or whatever.
Speaker 4: We are a.
Speaker 14: Strong multicultural nation. I'm very proud of that. There are a lot of people who say that it doesn't work and it's never going to work. We've proven them wrong until now. And if people are going to carry on like this, they are just proving the people who say that Australia can't actually that Australia is a racist country, or that Australia can't function as a multicultural society. They are proving those people right and they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.
Speaker 3: Steve Price, Johulda Brown, thank you both very much. Now returning to the US election, now, Kamala Harris may have reached a new level of cringe over the weekend with this surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live, where she urged the US to keep Karmela ahead of voting day.
Speaker 8: Like legally Blondela and start decorating for Christmas.
Speaker 15: Follow Lala La, because.
Speaker 3: What don't we always say, keep Kamala and carry on.
Speaker 2: Alah oh God.
Speaker 3: Skynies contributor Kosha Gada joins me, now, does this cheese work with Americans? And what about also the claims that this might have breached the FCC that's the Federal Communications Commission Equal time rule.
Speaker 16: Yes, it's kind of for Team Trump. I think the gift that keeps giving because there's all those angles to it. I don't think the cheese works. You know, if it's done in good dosages, where the person is a serious candidate and is taken very seriously and then kind of lets loose in these formats and does a little bit of comedy on SML, it could work, and it has worked in the past. But in her case, her biggest problem that she's been struggling with, or one of them, is she's not taken seriously as somebody who really has a hand on issues or has strong positions substantively anyway. And then when you keep leaning into sort of the comedy and the style piece of it, when there isn't a substance backing it up, I don't think it actually works as a campaign matter for her. And then the second point is it did land NBC in hot water, as you mentioned, because they're one of the four free to air broadcast networks in the US, and there are FCC rules that say if you give time to one candidate so closely election.
Speaker 2: You have to give it to the other.
Speaker 16: And I think there was some breaking news that they are going to be forced to give ninety seconds to team Trump to run an ad in the middle of Sunday night football, which may have just happened, or maybe it's Monday night football. He's going to be doing that to equate that so that they get out of the hot, wet water that they put themselves in.
Speaker 3: Now, Joe Biden is continuing his kind of weird moments. I mean, first he called half of Americans garbage. He then was biting babies, and now this.
Speaker 17: Now, I know some of you guys are at tempted to think as mucho guys. I'll tell you what, man, and I'm serious, these are the kind of guys like a smacking ass, I mean Karsher.
Speaker 3: At this point, you could be forgiven for thinking he was trying deliberately to damage Karmala's campaign.
Speaker 16: That is a theory that seems to keep getting some traction, certainly on social media. People think that who knows if that's true. Possibly, I think also show it's really quite stunning if you think about it, that the sitting president has not been on the campaign trail more. And there's a reason why. This is the reason we can see it, but that if you just step back and think about that, you know he could have been the biggest voice or advocate for his for her, his vice president, and he hasn't been, and I think that's the reason why. But the garbage comment, I think specifically this one is fine, But that one, I think is going to go back and history books are going to look at it as something that was probably quite material in terms of the damage that it did and the unforced era that it delivered to the Karma campaign.
Speaker 3: I suppose it depends on the election results ultimately whether it does go down in history.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, let's have a quick look at London.
Speaker 3: The Tories have installed their first black later of the Conservatives. Kosha disappointment has been well received widely.
Speaker 16: Yes, it has been. I think you know. The big picture for the Tories though, is they still are navigating a pretty fundamental identity crisis and brand crisis if you just look at the gains that they had in twenty nineteen and then the shillaking that they took in the last election so here and what that's going to take is some real change, I think, and courage to take on the issues that a large portion of their constituency feels disenfranchised from around immigration and trade and culture. Wars and all of that, and so she has a real opportunity, I think, to seize that. It's a wide opening in terms of taking on those policy positions. And if she does that, I think she has been received well and she will have an opportunity to do that. If she doesn't, then I think you're just going to continue to see that fracturing and that sort of ternal civil war in the Torries Party that we're seeing parallels of that in the US and even here to some extent.
Speaker 3: All Right, Kosha Data, thank you so much, really appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Now still to come on the show.
Speaker 3: I've got exclusive polling on who labor voters think would be best to replace Alban Easy and these results are going to make him very nervous. Also, former Ambassador to Washington Joe Hockey would join me just two days out from the election. He gives his view on how Trump and Harris are doing in the critical states. That interview after this quick break, welcome back. Well, there aren't many Australians who've spent as much time with Donald Trump as my next guest, Joe Hockey. When he was our ambassador in Washington, he dealt with the US President often even playing golf together.
Speaker 2: He has very unique insights on how this election is playing out. I spoke with him a little earlier.
Speaker 3: I started by asking him he agreed with the polls that the two candidates are now deadlocked.
Speaker 1: Well, it appears to be deadlock, Sharry. It's the polls haven't moved much at all since Kamala Harris took over as the Democratic nominee. But I still feel that there is what they're calling the shy Trump voter yet to appear, and they'll only appear after the ballots counted on Tuesday. And at the moment, I think the polls are underestimating Donald Trump's vote.
Speaker 2: As they have done in the past two elections.
Speaker 3: But there's also talk that Harris may be successful in Iowa. If that's the case, what does that mean for Trump and whether he would need to pick up more of the other bluewell states.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't give much credence at all to that one off poll. It's the trend that matters, and the constant trend is that the numbers are deadlocked in the key states on Tuesday night. On election Night, I'll be watching North Carolina very closely. That is a state that will come in pretty early with its results. But I just want to warn all of your viewers. So I'm sure are going to be glued to the TV as you will be, and everyone will be on Wednesday your time. It could take weeks for these results to come in. I just caution everyone that it's going to Unless there is a sweeping victory on Tuesday night, then it's going to take days, if not weeks, to get a result.
Speaker 3: You've been speaking about the critical seats of Michigan and Pennsylvania. There was a really fascinating report on CNN I just mentioned, and it's interesting in itself that CNN is even running this, but Harri speaking out of both sides of her mouth when it comes to the Middle East. She's running adverts in Michigan saying she's not going to be silent about the Palestinian suffering, and then running adverts in Pennsylvania that she's always supported Israel right to defend itself. Does this show that this particular issue could shift votes.
Speaker 2: In these critical seats?
Speaker 3: But also, what do you think it says about Harris that she can run campaigns like this? How can either side actually trust her?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: I mean that's part of the issue. As people form a judgment about Harris, they're going to look at not only what she's promising, which I must say is very light on, but it's what she's done that is the issue. And she has been a part of the Biden administration. Currently, seventy three percent of Americans feel that the country is heading in the wrong direction. Now, if you're an incumber government anywhere with those sorts of numbers, you are finished. And the challenge that Kamala Harris has faced is she's trying to run as a new fresh face and yet she is part of the incumbency. Something illustrates it better than the fact that she is trying to walk both sides of the fence in relation to Israel and the war in Gaza and the war against Hezbollah. The fact is there are four hundred thousand crucial Islamic votes in Michigan, and if they choose not to vote, it's highly unlikely they will vote for Donald Trump. But he did reach out to them the other day. But if they choose not to vote, then that is going to cost Harris probably Michigan overall, and it may even lead to her losing the overall election.
Speaker 3: Joe, do you think Kamala Harris has properly addressed concerns about how her administration would be different from the Biden administration and also her flip flopping positions over the years, whether it's on fracking, on prisoners, transitioning, on taxpayer funds, on the Middle East, and in a sense, perhaps is she lucky that she's had such a shot campaign window because the longer we go on, it seems like the honeymoon is fading.
Speaker 5: Well, that's right.
Speaker 1: It actually has helped her to have a short campaign because she hasn't come under the sort of policy scrutiny that Donald Trump or Joe Biden or most other candidates would have faced at the moment. If you were to ask the average voter, what is Kamala Harris's tax policy, what is her border policy? Even what is her policy on the Middle East? You wouldn't be able to get answers. The main focus of Harris' voters is that Kamala Harris is not Donald Trump, and she has built a coalition of Andy Trumper's that stretch from Liz Cheney on the right, and Liz Cheney is right wing, a Republican right through to Bernie sand As an AOC on the left. Now, that is a very broad coalition. The only thing that unites all of those people is that they despise Donald Trump. Whereas Donald Trump has focused on policies lower taxes, less regulation. I don't agree with him, but he wants to introduce an increased tariffs, he wants to rebuild the border wall, and he wants to move illegals out of the United States. He wants to open up the energy opportunities of the United States. He actually has quite a wide policy platform. And so in response to that, you've got Elon Musk on one side of his support base, and you've got the Teamster's Truck Driving Union, which has always supported the Democratic Party on the other side. Seventy percent of the members truck drivers of America. Most of them, if not almost all of them, have never gone to university. They're hard working, blue collar workers. Seventy percent of the union members voted to support Donald Trump ahead of Harris. And so Trump's coalition is built on policy. Harris's coalition is built on not being Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Just finally, Joe Trump is said to have targeted the young male voter through podcasts like Joe Rogan, but our female voters coming out to support Harris like the Democrats were relying on, well.
Speaker 1: You know, Sharri. The thing is this, Donald Trump won more white women in twenty sixteen than Hillary Clinton. He won the votes of more white women than Joe Biden in twenty twenty. In both elections, they knew that was abortion, that abortion under Donald Trump, with the Supreme Court appointed by the Republicans, would refer power back to the States. So the abortion policy was pretty settle. The question is are those people now really changing on the issue of abortion. And what Harris is doing is she is targeting. She was targeting at first young people on campuses to get them to vote, but she has now changed tack and focused on young women. And what they've found is that all the Democratic efforts to win over young men were failing and they were turning to Donald Trump. So there is a battle of the sexes in this election, more pronounced than almost any other election in American history. But I am still a little skeptical as to whether those issues that influence the sexual divide are going to be the issues that are actually going to materially change the level of support for Trump and Harris Lor.
Speaker 3: Joe, I hope it's not a week long wait for the results or more. As you've suggested, it'll drive us all crazy. Joe Hockey, thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much.
Speaker 17: Hey you.
Speaker 3: And right after the break, brand new polling on who Labor voters want to replace alban Easy that exclusive polling right after this break. Plus why are bureaucrats playing council culture with the Australian flag.
Speaker 2: That's after this break. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well we've got exclusive polling now and it shows that when Labor voters were asked who they could choose if they if the party could choose a different leader from Anthony Albanisi, who would they like to pick? And the Labor figure who came out on top was Treasurer Jim Chalmers with twenty one percent of voters choosing him. He was followed by Danya Plibasek with seventeen percent of Labor voters choosing her. Tony Burke, who fancies himself a future leader don't know why, had only five percent of support from Labor voters surveyed. About half of the voters actually didn't know who to pick.
Speaker 2: Let's bring it now.
Speaker 3: Labor figure and GXO Strategies director Cameron Milner who's in London, and Farmer Howard advisor David Gazard. Cameron, your firm commissioned this polling. What does it tell us about how voters view the Prime minister.
Speaker 15: Well, the results aren't good for Albow because cost of living is the number one issue for Australians and then there's daylight. But two thirds of those people hold don't think Labor's doing a good job on cost of living. They think they're doing a terrible or poor job. So every time Lane tries to get the message out in cost of living, there's another Albo fiasco, another buying a million dollar house or a Connus upgrade. It's crowding up the message. And so what we pold was whether Labor voters wanted to see someone else than Elbow. And as we saw clearly head and shoulders Jim Chalmers and Tenny plebersek streets in front of the other leadership contenders if Albo was not to be the leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yet you have leadership rumblings. I mean people talk about Jason Clair, they talk about Tony Burke. We going to this poll No One, not even Labor voters five percent want those two figures David desired. There was a three point left in the coalition's primary voter clotting to this pole, taking it to thirty nine percent. So it still needs to get a bit higher for Dutton to be in a governing position. But in terms of voters, well, they didn't give Dutton a glowing endorsement either, so do you think he needs to improve his image as well?
Speaker 6: The coalition's figures are inching higher with each polling cycle, so I don't think anyone will be particularly alarmed with that. And bear in mind that there has only been one one term government in Australia's history, that was the nineteen thirty one scull And government, so it would buck historical odds for Dutton to get over the line this time. That said, he inches closer and closer and closer, and the voters have yet to really switch on in this campaign, so it will be down to him to line a series of policies that will go to cost a living to get in touch with people when they switch on into this campaign. So I think everything is going in Peter Dutton and the Coalition's favor in this selection, although it is very very tight, but tighter than you would expect in a first term Albanesi government.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's amazing that, as you say, it's been nearly one hundred years since there was a one term labor government and yet Albin Easy will be fighting to hold onto power now. James Patterson has grilled the Home's Home Affair Secretary in the Senate today, criticizing her priorities after the Australian flag was dumped from photographs on their website. Cameron, We've got national security, border protection issues, community safety, yet this is their priority, dumping the Australian flag.
Speaker 15: Well it's a victory for the wife, isn't it. And no doubt they had focus groups and they took off site, off site dat studies to see whether the austrain flag.
Speaker 8: Should be removed.
Speaker 15: Look, the public service should be doing one job and one job only. It should be tacking cost of living, not doing things like taking the Australian flag away, especially as you say, at a time of heightened national security, national unity, and the Australian flag represents all that. So the public service are off on their own work agenda here and it's not good.
Speaker 3: Well, here was the official responding to James Patterson's questioning, have a look.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll play you that grab when we've got it.
Speaker 18: Now, have a look, the secretary, I couldn't help but notice that there was a change recently in the photographs of senior departmental officials on the Home Affairs website. Are you familiar with that change?
Speaker 9: There's some time ago I asked my staff to redo the photographs of the senior executive without flags in the background. Is that the change you're referring to?
Speaker 18: Yes, yes, So sometime between July and August, we noticed that the headshots of yourself another senior officials in the department previously had the Australian national flag as well as the Aboriginal Torres state island the flags in the headshot, and then after that period they're no longer in the headshot. What was the reason for removing the flags from the headshots?
Speaker 9: I wanted to have photos that were less formal.
Speaker 3: It does such a sensational job, James Patterson, but you'd have to think this is just counsel culture gone mad. When the Home Affairs Department removes Australian flags, it's absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 2: David Gazard.
Speaker 3: As we speak, Israel is on standby for Iran threatening to another retaliation strike. There are concerns that this is going to happen in the next forty eight hours. I mean, Iran has said in media reports that they plant it hit Israel again.
Speaker 2: Before the US election.
Speaker 3: The US has implored them not to take that action. David Gazard, this is really worrying. You know, it's hard to know what exactly to believe, but we are seeing reports that Iran is preparing its ballistic missiles once again.
Speaker 6: It looks it's consistent with the timing of the US election. That would be point number one that I'd make if they do anything they want to get in before the election lest they face the wrath of a possible Trump election. The other thing I would, though, say, is that Iran has talked a big game throughout the last year, and it's been happy to let its proxies in Hamas and Hezbala do all the wet work, which makes you wonder what's in it for Hamas and hez Balat they have They've endured all the carbage doing all the work for Iram. The other point I'd make is this. Iran would have to be very mindful of what Israel has done through superb work, through its intelligence agencies and its operatives, and they would be thinking at the moment, well, if we strike Israel, what may happen to us? So I've watched Iran for months now. They talk a big game and it's never followed up. Instead, they leave all the work to its proxies who endure all the damage, which makes you wonder why people in Lebanon and in Gaza continue to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very concerned about this because you know, you're right, they do have left a lot to the proxies.
Speaker 2: But we have seen two direct attacks from.
Speaker 3: Iran to Israel, which is unprecedented, and you know, I think we do.
Speaker 2: Need strong US leadership.
Speaker 3: It's why this election is so critical for all of us in the West, because you've got these Ayatolas who are in boldened. They really shook Israel with US last attack, and then all you see from Joe Biden and Kamala Harris's oh ceasefire. Let Iran continue to amass its nuclear capabilities, continue to develop its nuclear capabilities. You know, eventually the US and Israel will have to deal with that, will have to target the nuclear sites, because what are we going to do sit back here and let them develop a nuclear weapon that would affect all of us in the West. It's insanity, Cameron, Just quickly before we go, I want to get your opinion on this. Albanesi's election style performance yesterday in Adelaide.
Speaker 2: He didn't give an interview for five.
Speaker 3: Days, he was hiding from the media because of the upgrade scandal, and then we see him come out and basically declare that the cost of living crisis is all but over.
Speaker 2: What did you think of that?
Speaker 15: Well, it was Albers's mission accomplished moment, wasn't it. Whether it's a crowd of faithful ALP members rather than the scrutiny of the media pack. This is how he wants to communicate, but it's not cutting through. Voters are speaking. As we saw in our whole sharing up. Albanie has a huge problem with credibility with voters on the issue of cotts. A living and a set speech in Adelaide is not going to fix that for him. Nor's cunning heckstep for university elites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Cameron Milner in London, David Gazzard. Thank you both so much. Now still to come, Daniel Andrews says Jewish donors should stop funding creative endeavors that have refused to denounce anti Semitism.
Speaker 2: Talk about that in a moment.
Speaker 3: Well, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has urged Jewish philanthropists to stop funding groups that have refused to condemn both anti Semitism and the October seven attacks. This comes after Jewish artists and causes have been frozen out by so called progressives. Well, we talk about this, but I think we do need to support businesses and productions that do give a voice to those that the left currently freezing out. And one production that hasn't got the attention it would normally receive from the left, and it deals with issues of gender identity, is called Yental. It's on at the Opera House and it's in direct response to the doxing of six hundred creatives and the Prohamas rally of course that took place on the Opera House on October nine. And I'm joined now by director and co writer of Yental, Gary Abrahams.
Speaker 2: Gary, good to see you now.
Speaker 3: You've specifically held this at the Opera House as a means to symbolically take it back.
Speaker 2: Why do you think.
Speaker 3: You're not getting the support that you should be for this production given it does deal with a lot of causes that are central to the left.
Speaker 19: Well, I think there's just an enormous discomfort and sort of uncomfortability that people have with Jewish content and Jewish stories at the moment. We premiered this play in twenty twenty two, so long before any of the political up people that we're sort of facing now, and we had an extraordinary action to it the first time round. The production guarded numerous awards. It was named by the Guardian antaim Art as one of the best shows in Australia.
Speaker 5: Know of the year.
Speaker 19: We then had it programmed at the malt House Theater in earlier this year in March, and that was obviously after October seven, and that's when we started to feel the discomfort within the industry and within the cultural sector around any material that deals with Jewish themes and Jewish content.
Speaker 3: Do you think this is reflected across the broader art space. Are you concerned Jewish voices and the arts are being erased?
Speaker 19: I think a lot of Jewish artists right now are feeling like they've been pushed into a very, very tough corner. A lot of the conversation within cultural circles over the past decade or so have been around who has the right to tell whose stories. So there's a lot of very very careful consideration around who gets to direct, who gets to write, who gets to tell whose stories. And I think many Jewish creatives feel that they've been pushed into a box where they're only allowed to tell Jewish stories at a time when no main stage companies are wanting to tell Jewish stories, and there is this discomfort around that.
Speaker 3: And then we've also seen a lot of Jewish artists being grilled over what their position is on the war before anyone would support them.
Speaker 2: It's utterly outrageous.
Speaker 3: All right, Gary, thank you for your time, and the Entil season has been extended until the seventeenth of November. I can't give a personal recommendation, I haven't seen it, but for more info go to the Upper House website. Now that's all we've got time for tonight. If you want to catch up with any of my interviews on the US election tonight, Joe Hockey in particular, our former Ambassador. You can head to the Sky News website to have a look at that Ross Greenwood as well.
Speaker 2: Every night this week.
Speaker 3: I'm going to bring interviews live from the US, Big Interviews, so you're right up to date with what's going on with Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. And no one will know more than Paul Murray, who right now is live in Dallas in the US.
Speaker 2: I'm going to
Speaker 3: See you tomorrow at eight pm.