Speaker 1: A day to honor Meal dan at Her an emotion.
Speaker 2: Charged lap, the high point of Big Freeze eleven as footy shares its gratitude for the Australian of a year.
Speaker 3: Then a thriller to mark the occasion, Collingwood prevailing by a single point after Melbourne through everything at them. Both coaches join us live here at the mcg.
Speaker 1: And a too much ban.
Speaker 2: For bomber Sam Durham for the dangerous bump the game has tried to eradicates.
Speaker 4: We've talked about is this step into it, debrace.
Speaker 2: All of it in the room and reason it's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 4: They're on the side of courtia with the brain, take.
Speaker 1: The man on it. They played the best footy.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen at the start of the season, and injury said President left the cup.
Speaker 1: Oder said, of course they do. This is the stuff that legends are made of.
Speaker 4: What is holding the ball?
Speaker 3: I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I could do something.
Speaker 2: Wrong, you know, And I need to go and the board sets the fans lover and with fans no three sixty year hope. The first bite of winter curbed the high notes in this round. Bus the climax was well.
Speaker 1: Worthy of the occasion, Das.
Speaker 3: You've been sitting in the other just like a normal average supporter riding the highs and lows, Jared, the impartiality is back, very very one eyed. I was in the stands so riding the highs and lowers. It was an unbelievably good contest. Not the greatest game of foot you lever see, but a great, great contest. And the old Magpies they do it again, proviled by a point.
Speaker 2: So there's plenty to unpack and a lot of it is developing now. So we'll take you through it during the hour of both coaches join us and we'll get word from the rooms.
Speaker 1: Just give us just summation of the round.
Speaker 3: In total, teams that had to win one which I think is good for the competition.
Speaker 4: And you can go all the way back to Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Hawthorn had to win. They've been in a hole and they found a way. Adelaide had to win. They were testing themselves against the bet and they did. When it looked like they weren't going to Sydney needed to win and they got it. Port Adelaide needed to win and they got it. North Melbourne seller home game West Coast Seagals, they're trailing with not much time left, had to win and they did. And Carlton against a very very young Essendon here last night, needed to win and they did so those six sides they ticked the box, some of them impressively, some of them just got by, but they got the four points done the less.
Speaker 1: Not always points for style, but just get four points.
Speaker 3: And four points that Adelaide got are the same as the four points at North Melbourne, same value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as true as when they were spoken.
Speaker 2: All right, this is how our week lines up. We couldn't be better place to bring you the aftermath of this King's Birthday thriller. Craig McCrae and Simon Goodwin will join us in turn, and then on the coutale Matthews is back, so Jack will. He'll garner the big opinions, the how and the y from round thirteen.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow night is special.
Speaker 2: Fox Footy will bring you the Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be there for a short sharp three sixty at the scene. Then midweek tackle to run you through all that's happening in the football world. And then back inside the intimacy of the night, eight inductees and one legend to be elevated. And then by the time we reach Wednesday night, we'll be on the cusp of a fresh round, and we'll put our coaches to work to make sense of where we are and what comes next. John Longmeyer and Adam Simpson on Wednesday Night. Every Monday starts with the awarding of the GVPS, the most valuable players across the weekend, and the estimation of just one man. The prize up for grabs is the Mustang. The Ford Mustang GT fastback value, a ninety three thousand dollars, iconic design, unreal performance five leader V eight engine. The leader board has been taking shape in recent weeks, and Gaz the high bar here to get in that car.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's worth it. Indeed, I'm going to go back to Port Adelaide. So Zach Butters gets one vote. I love how we flew the flag for his coach.
Speaker 3: The relationship between Zach and Kenny Hinckley is obviously strong, and he might single handley make this an interesting last half of the season for Kenny. When it looked like it might, Peter Roud into something not that specials a he's a I think he's a speaking the word special, A really special player.
Speaker 4: This bloke.
Speaker 3: The physicality and then you're throwing the skill on top of it.
Speaker 4: He and the Captain got.
Speaker 3: To work and they've made it really difficult for the gw WES Giants. From this point on, it just about being my first pick. I know, I know I can Wax and Wayne from week to week, but I love what he does.
Speaker 4: So one for.
Speaker 3: Zach Butters, two goes to Max Holmes. I thought his game was exceptional. Just Bailey Smith goes out, you go, what's going to happen here? Well, Max Homes says, don't worry about it, let me go and get forty and was well coached, a beautifully position to take advantage of all the different skill sets that he's got at his disposal, the capacity to run one end of the ground or the other, and he was at home familiar territory, and I.
Speaker 4: Thought he was I thought he played an outstanding game.
Speaker 2: Just the tireless running line breaking in the wet so it was a really basic game.
Speaker 4: It was much pretty about it.
Speaker 3: And he wrapped up forty and then I'm going to the biggest game of the weekend, which is Friday night. For mine, it was Adelaide up against the Brisbane lines and I thought ben Keys's role on the night was just outstanding. So goes a Zorco who's fire starter for this side, and absolutely blankets him and then becomes a really potent creating force on the way forward.
Speaker 4: So you know, we talk about spirit animals, you talk about people who sent the tone.
Speaker 3: The gap between the best and worst is what I love in players, and it's very minimal with this blog. There's not too often you walk away ben Keys hasn't contributed, so.
Speaker 4: First of all, to do the job and still be dangerous and.
Speaker 3: Then finish him off at the end, I thought ben Keys was great amongst amidst what was a really really big night for the Adelaie cro So that's the way they went, the three two ones.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: So here's the way things are right now. Patrick Dangerfield on nine, Toby Greens on six, still sidebottom because he pick it who played big roles here afternoon they are on five.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the agenda, gas.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the tinder box moment at the end for Melbourne. So this is raw they have performed so wholeheartedly throughout the day. Max Gorn tries to open the play up. It's not the right play. It's the kick that slews, and it's gone in that moment and Stephen May he said it clearly said the.
Speaker 1: Wrong thing to the captain in that moment while it's so raw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this will be a great, big talking point because it's emotional. It's the best big man that we've seen in a generation of footy, a firebrand fullback who wears his heart on his sleeve.
Speaker 4: And this tells you how much it hurts.
Speaker 3: Beyond that, there's nothing in it, which I'm not saying it's not a story. It's a great big story. And we're here because Max has spoken. I think that's a great thing. But this is what happens when you invest in a game of footy for two hours and it comes down to moments and it's a singular point. And in the dying seconds, a man who's led this side for the last ten.
Speaker 4: Or years makes one of his.
Speaker 3: Rare mistakes and then Stephen May, in his competitiveness, has gone to him and I don't know what he said, but it clearly didn't resonate, and Max has reacted totally reasonably.
Speaker 4: I would imagine, and my little.
Speaker 3: Screw of face and shava beyond that's that's live sport, That's what I love.
Speaker 2: All right, let's head downstairs. Max Gorn did speak, John Ralph was a part of that. He stuck back to the Magpie rooms, Ralphie, What did Max have to say?
Speaker 5: Well, I think in his worst moment, Steven May could very much wear on you as a teammate. Both of these players were fantastic, so hi drama there in the rooms. As he just said, Max Gorn marched straight into the deepest, darkest recesses of the rooms. The pair did not come together at any stage there. So Stephen not keen to clarify his version of events. Max, certainly, as he has so many times in times of trial for this football club, was prepared to talk to me and a couple of other journalists. So for fox Foot, he said, and I quote, he wants us to win as much as I do. It was a disappointing last thirty seconds. I'm not actually sure was said. It was so loud out there and it just kept repeating. Were two players who really want to win? So, as he said, it was effectively a two percent chance end to win, about thirty five seconds on the clock. He knows that there was very very little likelihood that this was going to be an end to end play. He said he was called to play on as well. He was surprised about that having taken that mark. We know, of course, the result of that shank kick to will Hoskin Elliott there So, as I said, he isn't actually short.
Speaker 4: What Stephen May said to him.
Speaker 5: I think if you're any kind of lip reader, you'd imagine you know exactly what he said.
Speaker 1: Back to Stephen May.
Speaker 5: And so hopefully the club is feeling that by putting up Stephen, by putting up Max Corn, they can turn this into a one day's story. It's a story that's really tittilating, with a lot of tension between two great teammates, both of them amazing on the day. But unfortunately he won't take away from the real positives from this contest. But yeah, it will something that will take a little bit of the gloss off and hopefully Max Corn has come.
Speaker 1: Some way to explaining Ralphie thank you.
Speaker 2: As Simon Goodwin will be with us at the desk shortly, So do you think it goes?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Is there a conversation later tonight between the two a text message exchange just to.
Speaker 3: I'd imagine it'll be had within an hour if it needs to be had. But do you think it I mean, we the media, will we either perpetrate this or not? And probably until we hear from Stephen.
Speaker 4: May really isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really only exists whether there's any tension between the two of them in the aftermath, because the way that you have depicted it, it's raw and they lay it all out there and it's a moment of frustration and that don't be chipping the captain at the end. He didn't mean it to go wrong like that, and maybe the team rule is a little bit different. But as long as they're okay, then will be okay. But it's an unusual moment to see and it speaks of the high tensions.
Speaker 3: At the end, and it speaks to them being their authentic selves.
Speaker 4: Is the other thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Stephen is the most diplomatic person in the best of times, when there's a game on the line and you've lost it by a point in front of eighty thousand plus, So that's I got absolutely no problem in the world that they'll sort this out.
Speaker 1: Shall we take a moment to revel in the day? I think we should.
Speaker 2: This is so brilliantly stage now and it's not just a day on the footy calendar.
Speaker 1: It's a day for the whole community.
Speaker 2: So the King's Birthday really is big frees Day at the mcg and ten Australian celebrities let off brilliantly by Arin Tipmas, who she had the moves.
Speaker 1: She's watched Grease so many times.
Speaker 2: I thought Cadell was three votes Mini Max and for Max to be there at the bottom of the slide. Peter daks Well of Corsey woulds of course he.
Speaker 3: Actually, actually, this is the first time I'm seeing the whole lot back to back, so I'm getting a first You're getting the first reaction here, So I love that from Dake's loved Arion Tipmas, that nablers angus from ac DC Liz Watson with Margot, Robbie's cowgirl Barbie Nice, Matt Shermington Kamers. Of course he didn knows how to command the stage. It doesn't ended up with a cape all over their face with a levity.
Speaker 2: There Alyssa Healley went Shaza, Kath and Kim. That's just the right level of Bogan and a non Shane Ward as well, beautiful Aaron Davy, Michael Long, the long walk ah nice, he had it really going to mad Max for Craig lownds and warning yes from Mark time.
Speaker 3: As he saw that, but he didn't have any audio. I was hoping that he'd come and warning not had come to himself otherwise he missed the brief dummy, So that was nice, very good.
Speaker 2: And then scenes that will last in football history, just as EJ's lap did here at the mcg the move around the boty, the winter sunshine peeked through. Neil Danaher greeted by all the Melbourne players one by one and at various stages, with grandkids in tow and children around, pausing at the fence for some that were recognized and some that weren't.
Speaker 1: Look at the beanies, Look at the beanies.
Speaker 2: As the football world got to show.
Speaker 1: Neil dan and her how much he has meant to all of us.
Speaker 3: These are iconic pictures that we're seeing right here and to both clubs that have become symbolic in the day and the way they respect Neil and the way that he's contributed to this day is it so humbling and you run out of words in the end, Jury, I was here that EJ. Whitten day and this was every bit as emotional. And then they both teens went out and on at him, which I think was really important, particularly from Melbourne's point of view.
Speaker 4: Collinwood sitting on.
Speaker 3: Top of the ladder and taken all before them, and Melbourne had coming off a really disappointing loss, and they had to find something for him and well for the day, and the day is Neil, so they had to find something for him, and they did, and they made it a memorable occasion.
Speaker 2: So right from the outsets and it was on as Melbourne did bring the challenge, they brought high energy, the spirit was willing, if the body wasn't always quite up to the task. Sparrow opens with a long range goal. The pressure of that opening term was worthy of the seventy seven and a half thousand and because of Pickett's moments how throughout was absolutely brilliant. Jeremy how the early.
Speaker 1: Forays it was two goals each a quarter time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was it's hard going. You can't score against this Colinwand's.
Speaker 3: Side, so to be in touch throughout most of the day I think Melbourne would have taken that. Josh Deekos was the one in the back half because.
Speaker 4: There was a little bit of magic and there was a sprinkled stuff sprinkled everywhere. Yeah, he had to.
Speaker 3: Work really hard because he to have an impact from the game. And then this van talking about magic that was straight after the pivot goal. So it was just like Scott Benbury said, no mate, we need to maintain this gap, so let me get to work again. Now, as I said, I don't think it was the most skillful game I've ever seen, but in terms of consequences for actions and you had to go with your time to go, then it was right up there. But they did hack it a.
Speaker 2: Bit both sides, yes, as Collinwood's poise was just a little bit better. But the difference was their entries inside fifty, which is a well worn tail with Melbourne. They had slogged away through the second term moment of entry after entry, after entry, and then that after the halftime siren from memory makes it eight points and.
Speaker 3: That and your ability to your opportunities year and I know it's been a theme for Melbourne. Yeah, last week was horrendous, But just as as I said, I was just a supporter in the stand and you just knew when they got their opportunities, Collingwood they take them. And then Melbourne had chances to kick set shop goals and couldn't quite get there. And then they go to the other They go the distances, Collingwood team and make your pay. But then Fritz got a little bit of a cameo and things started from about this point, halfway through the third quarter, they got it back on their terms a fair bit.
Speaker 4: Melbourne.
Speaker 2: It looked grim at twenty points down, like it was going to get away. And then a few things that hadn't been working. Yeah, Fritch and Pickett did their thing.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to you when we talked to Goodie when he comes in.
Speaker 3: But it was the ability to get the ball under the ground when it went forward. So this sort of stuff here and needs Missus gets a guy and it needs his magic. But the amount of times they kicked the how intercept there was twenty intercepts both ways, by the way, But once they got the border ground, they looked much more dangerous proposition. And then this man who's first going back cint Anzac Day goes back.
Speaker 2: And Ice is injured on Ansac Day back for the King's birthday, and the moment that matted most a towering mark at the top of the square.
Speaker 1: And then we squabbled over a point from there on. It was two, it was one, it was two, it was one.
Speaker 3: The Vailey Fritch had had the mark, almost had a Nick revolt moment elsewhere, and then this is a dying moment which we'll talk about, will continue to be talked about for some time.
Speaker 4: And they just ran out time from that point on.
Speaker 2: So where it leaves Colin Wood, they've got the nice cushion at the top of the tables.
Speaker 1: Some of good women will join us shortly and we'll.
Speaker 2: Revisit that the cushion at the top of the table, which allows them to plot out the back half of the season. They couldn't have reached the buy having been more impressive or in better shape.
Speaker 3: No, and they've got players that they can file back in most demonishrably.
Speaker 4: Jordan to go.
Speaker 3: He is the one that we sit here and look at and say what a back half weapon. And then they can take their time with him and Braid Braid and Maynard will come back into that side as well. So players to come back day back into the side today makes them better. I think so. No, I think Craig McCrae would be over the moon. Have I got the buy next week they do? Yeah, well that's a buye that's well earned and a buy that they'll enjoy. And Melbourne got to go to take on Port Adelaide and they're running out of chances to keep this season alive. Although if they play in the same manner with the same intensity, they'll give themselves a chance.
Speaker 2: There's shredness and close finishes and it works both ways, doesn't it. You have to beat them once or twice or three times. But they carry this belief and it is it's well won belief that they will get you.
Speaker 3: One percent and then yeah, you can go back and I'm sure the boys on the couch will isolate moments and it's still side. Bottom doesn't make a mistake like when he gets the ball, his calmness and then he hits the target when he has to hit the target, and then as a Melbourne supporter sitting in this down, I'm watching it go the other way and it just misses well, one just goes over their head and it gets turned over and comes back the other way.
Speaker 4: So that's where Melbourne needs to get to.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: This is the beauty of.
Speaker 3: This Collingwood side is that they've got these experienced players who are just playing very, very good footy right now. Can they keep this and maintain this until the end of September?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't bet against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the question of the season, isn't it. Are they in good or shape late in August?
Speaker 1: Nearly and.
Speaker 3: Not plenty, but there have been teams at this stage that haven't quite got it done.
Speaker 4: But they're reliable. Jared, I sat in amongst you.
Speaker 3: There were plenty of them out there and they're pretty confident in what they're able to do.
Speaker 2: The Melbourne side of the coin is I'd love to get that Fritch moment if we've got it, so adrenaline is pumping.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: The Collingwood players inevitably do the right thing in the tight finishes. So when it's all about to overwhelm you and the opportunity arises, this was it wasn't if he takes even a beat, he sees sparrow and feeds it to him or he goes back. But so the adrenaline is absolutely pumping and he fancies he's the match winner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's one and there's another. I know how quick we can get it. But there was another one that ended up in a Frich goal that came on a fast break and they had Cozy Picket running inside fifty on his own, but he went along to the Maxico on one on one their decisions. Now, they got out of that one with a goal because Fitch was able to make a bit of magic. They could have made that a hell of a lot easy jurd by just hitting Cozy Picket twenty five meters out from goal. So all of these little learnings are frustrating, but in terms of effort, commitment to the cause, and they had some really good moments. I thought it was one of the best performances of the year and that's a credit and so that's a nod to the opposition as well.
Speaker 2: So a bit worked in the planning. They were able to quell mcdaykoss like very few teams have before. Ed Langdon was given the job. It's an interesting umpiring correction. I thought after halftime, as if perhaps video had been studied or word had been passed down and there are a couple of free kicks at stoppages if he was being denied a fair run at things.
Speaker 4: Yes, twenty Melbourne fans wanted me to make that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't tend not to pick up on those things as much as others do. But he did a great job, kept in the ninety and touches, force go involved and still had moments Nicky the fifty mante apparently, and the goal from Cosey didn't help let Ed Langdon's cause I bet you that Ed only had the four touches.
Speaker 4: It was good old fashioned lot good old fashion.
Speaker 2: Including knocking him over while he's trying to do his bootlaces up.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether it's all that physical, but he was seventy seven thousand, like I didn't quite hit eighty, so maybe the weather had a bit to do with that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I enjoyed the day.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be great to talk to both coaches and they come in here and get their take on right