Speaker 1: Vice is the Media Show, with Jack.
Speaker 2: Outing Hello and welcome to the Media Show. Tonight, We're going to spend a lot of time breaking down how the media reacted to the US election. But later in the show, we will also talk about a major error at the ABC involving doctor footage. But first, Donald Trump will become the forty seventh president of the United States, much to the disgust of many journalists who tried everything in their power to convince Americans not to vote for him, and many of those arguments were simply lies, like the lie one week out from the election that he was violently advocating for a critic of his, Liz Cheney, to be shot by a firing squad.
Speaker 3: Four days out from election day and former President Donald Trump is escalating his violent rhetoric, suggesting one of his most prominent critics, the for Congresswoman Liz Cheney should be fired upon.
Speaker 2: And that take shot around the world.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump has been a cue using dangerous rhetoric after suggesting guns should be trained on the face of Republican critic Liz Cheney. The presidential candidate is now being investigated over whether he's violated death threat laws. Just days out from the election.
Speaker 2: It even fooled our taxpayer funded media.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump's comments about a prominent Republican critic have caused some outrage.
Speaker 2: Just tell us about those comments, Joe.
Speaker 5: This is really overshadowed Donald Trump's Russ Belt push. He made comments with right wing TV host Tucker Carlson about Liz Cheney, a former Republican congresswoman but an outspoken critic of Donald Trump, and certainly there's no love lost between the two. But Donald Trump certainly took that acrimonious step further in that interview with Tucker Carlson, describing her as a very dumb person, a warhawk, and even raising the hypothetical, I guess of her facing a firing squad.
Speaker 2: So did Donald Trump call for a political adversary to face a firing squad? Well, according to Snopes, he did not. Despite violent rhetoric, Trump did not threaten to have Liz Cheney shot in context, his words did not amount to an explicit threat against Cheney. Now, let's listen to what Trump actually said.
Speaker 6: She's a radical warhawk. Let's put her with a Rafo Stanley there with nine barrel shooting at her. Okay, let's see how she feels about it. You know when the guns are trained on her face. You know there are warhawks when they're sitting in Washington in a nice building, saying, oh, do you will, let's send Let's send ten thousand troops right into the mouth of the enemy.
Speaker 2: As Snopes confirmed, there was no threat to stand her before a firing squad. It was just a complete lie. Trump was making the point that people who advocate for wars or spout expansionist military policies probably would not like to be in a war zone where guns appoint at them. It is so obviously false that even the ABC here in Australia had to issue its fifty third humiliating correction of the year. They write several news stories across news radio and Triple J on the second of November reported that US presidential candidate Donald Trump had suggested that former Congresswoman Liz Cheney should be quote put before a firing squad or have guns trained on her face and be shot. It added the full context of Trump's remarks, which would have made it clear he was criticizing Cheney's alleged willingness to send Americans to war zones, rather than advocating violence against her. It is worth pointing out the fake news about calling for a firing squad was published by the ABC all over social media in that clip that we just played for you earlier, and the correction from the ABC was only published after Trump won, and the video we played has not even been taken down. The media ran this lie. We're in the lead up to the election and journalists are wondering by people have started ignoring their criticisms of Trump.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Joining me on the show this week is the Australians Darren Davidson and the Daily Telegraphs Tim Blair. Tim, let's start with you. That was a rather extraordinary can we call it journalistic sleight of hand to truncate these quotes and turn them into something which you know, I know everybody knows that's not what he was talking about. The problem I have is how it proliferated through the media so easily, how everyone fell for this in the lead up to an election went by the way. These are the same people talking about misinformation every spare second that they could get an opportunity, and they've misrepresented this and made it seem like he's calling for the death of one of his adversaries.
Speaker 8: It is absolutely a form of misinformation, and it reflects as well, probably disingenuous habit of the modern press, especially in regard to Donald Trump, to just pretend that there's no such thing as nuance or any kind of shade to it at all. I mean, if Trump had said, you know, inflation is sky high, the media presumably would have run with Trump literally says that inflation is reaching the limit of the Earth's outer atmosphere. You know, it's been bubbling up in the press for a time, this kind of absurd literalism. I remember maybe twelve years ago we had a fact checking organization launched in Australia that one of its first efforts was to disprove acclaim by a National Party MP that there were gold plated coffee machines for.
Speaker 2: The public service.
Speaker 8: They actually, I'm serious, you can look this up. They who actually went through various hardware store or suppliers or kitchen supplies couldn't find one that was gold plated. You know, they busted that thing. And this has been rippling through I'm not sure if it reflects more a diminution of an raising of the ability to detect nuance, or if it's just deliberate being done.
Speaker 2: I think you call I think there is a degree of stupidity there. And Darren, it's not the first time we've seen you know, Tim, You're one hundred percent right about these literal takes. It wasn't that long ago that they were saying Donald Trump was advocating for a blood bath. But when you listen to the clip, he's talking about there being an economic blood bath in manufacturing, and I think it was motor vehicles, specifically motor vehicle manufacturing. He's talking with these Yes, they're inflammatory euphemisms and everything, but he's not advocating for violence in the way that they're trying to purport him to have done. But Darren, on this case, on this specific case, it's a few days out from the election, and you've got every major media outlet publishing a story that one of the candidates wants to be put it, wants a political adversary to be shot by firing squad. Carmala Harris actually came out saying this should disqualify him from the race. It's pretty bad.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's interesting you've actually high lighted this clip and it's one example of many because it reflects a pattern that we've seen throughout the campaign and throughout the election cycle, and that's where the media at large in the US has played this role of boosting Harris and the Democrats and taking things out of context, and that's played a big role in leading the election in the election for them because it's kind of created this bubble in which the Democrats are kind of disconnected from the real concerns of voters, whether it's bordered chaos, inflation, the economy, or crime. And you know, probably the most famous example would be these continuous assurances that Biden was as sharp as attacked and you know, a good example of things being taken out of context in relation to that was the Group seven meeting I think back in June where you saw Biden in video footage that you've played on sky wandering aimless around and we were told that he was fine and there was no problem whatsoever, And of course that we soon learned that that wasn't the case, which we all suspected. But yeah, it's that example that you highlighted and many others have created this bubble in which Democrats live and they've just become completely disconnected from what's really going on in the minds of voters, and we saw that in the election result a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the ultimate boy who cried wolf, isn't it. I mean, I believe they called those clips cheap fakes. They couldn't say that they were fake, but they said they were deceptively cut. I don't know what was a deceptive about him wandering around. It just is what it is. But they used the White House apparatus and Queen Jean Pierre was giving press conferences about how this was a form of misinformation. It's bad stuff, but let's move on, because it was an emphatic victory for Trump and it was a rejection of the messaging contained at nearly every Hollywood movie, media report, or entertainment show. And how are these people coping with the reality of democracy? See now that their arguments fell short. Let's be honest. It was a terrible night last night.
Speaker 10: It was a terrible night for women, for children, for the hundreds of thousands of hardworking immigrants who make this country go.
Speaker 2: For healthcare, for our climate. A grown man literally crying because his political team lost, or maybe because he has realized that no one cares what he thinks about political issues. It was also a little racist because Trump won off the back of a very strong minority vote, not that a multi millionaire celebrity would know anything about their struggles and meltdowns were a theme across all the late night talk shows and for the medium more broadly, for Stephen Colbert when his side loses, well, it isn't actually democracy at all.
Speaker 10: So many of us wish this hadn't happened, but that is not for us to decide.
Speaker 2: This is a democracy, that's democracy.
Speaker 9: With a capital duh.
Speaker 10: And in this democracy the majority has spoken and they said they don't care that much about democracy.
Speaker 2: Let's check in on John Stewart. My point is this, well, at least he's funny, but somehow the serious and use types were even funnier.
Speaker 10: Democrats need to be even sure, and they need to be honest, and they need to say, yes, there is there's misogyny. But it's not just misogyny from white men. It's misogyny from Hispanic men, right, it's misogyny from black men. Things we've all been talking about who do not want a woman leading them might be race issues with Hispanics. They don't want a black woman as Presidenty and Isaac.
Speaker 2: So there's just straight out racism. But then came the venom that view turned on women, labeling them uneducated.
Speaker 7: What we did not have is white women who voted about fifty two percent right for Donald Trump. Uneducated white women is my understanding.
Speaker 3: You have atheno men actually voting more for him.
Speaker 2: These people were so upset because they have been listening to journalists like Joy Reid from MSNBC who have been campaigning against Trump with segments like this.
Speaker 7: We on this side of the TV screen have said all we can. We've laid out mistakes in this crucial election where one side stands for freedom while the other meets the textbook definition of fascism, namely a far right dictatorial regime like Hitler's Germany or Franco's Spain or Mussolini's Italy, but also white ruled South Africa before Mendela and the black majority to control, or Vladimir Putin's Russia, Victor Orbon's Hungary or Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela today that suppresses the rights of women and minorities, uses the military to execute the whims of a strong man dictator and controls and suppresses the press, education the arts, rewrites history to a favored and dominant racial class, and four months extravagant corruption in order to enrich the dictator and his friends.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go to Tim Blair. Now, there's a lot to unpack from that. One of the things that really jumps out at me is he got this Morning Joe host who is a white, wealthy man who all of a sudden now minorities aren't useful for him, and he just unleashes their sexist, their racist They don't know what's good for them, Tim, Why don't they know what's good for them?
Speaker 8: Well, I think we've got to preface that by indicating, you know, we've got to establish a baseline with Morning Joe's credibility. And that was a few weeks before the big debate that demolished Joe Biden. Scarborough. Joe Sabrauth, the host of that show, came out and said that he'd spent time with Biden and that Joe Biden this was the best Joe Biden. This was a guy at the top of his game. I was killing it, kicking it out the part, fantastic. And then we saw Joe Biden during the debate. So I don't think we can pay a lot of attention to that guy. Joy read love the shirt, by the way. But when you go through that, all that stuff that she was saying about executions and destroying the arts, and you know, God knows what other comparison she was making with historical figures of fascism, maybe before you compare Trump to those figures, maybe just wait until he's done one of those things, just one, just one extra digital execution, you know, because he's been in power for four years, and this is what these people always sort of push aside. He's a known figure, he's a known issue. We've seen him four years, you know. For those exaggerations to be blurted out in the same frame that they slam misinformation, God, put a mirror on yourself.
Speaker 2: Kids and Darren. They can't help themselves from talking about identity politics, linking everything back to identity politics. And the analysis for me has been missing very much for the most part, that this appears to be a reaction to the economic woes that a lot of the more impoverished people living in America are facing, and they cannot seem to bring themselves to understand why somebody who maybe is Hispanic, maybe is an immigrant themselves, would vote for Donald Trump when they are of a particular race. It's a problem in the media.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Look, we've seen right and across the board in this election result, men, women have shifted their preference across the Republican Party. Latino voters, Black voters, particularly males, people that earn under one hundred thousand dollars US have shifted towards Trump, and white working class voters have and even those that earn over one hundred thousand there's been gains there as well well for Trump. Yet despite this empirical evidence, the post mortem continues to maintain the fantasy. And then the truth is that voters are more wound up about the economy, immigration, inflation, crime after four years of being told the economy is in great shape, than they are about any question marks over Trump's Trump's character. And the other point to make as well is that, you know, the campaign was terrible. Harris completely failed to distance himself from Biden, who was unpopular, and at the same time failed to offer any solutions of her own, and that's why she lost the election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good point. Well, let's move on now. Because the election didn't just expose major issues with the pulling that we were showed, it also proved that celebrity endorsements just do not work. Now, Rapper Cardi b was so upset that people don't care what she thinks about politics, she posted this message before having deleted a few minutes later.
Speaker 1: This is why summer yes dates spaghetti hurricanes.
Speaker 11: That's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Pretty disgusting stuff for Orador. Louisiana, Texas, and North Carolina had all just been called for chump just before she tweeted that. And of course we still had Taylor Swift, Bruce Springsteen, Oprah, Lizzo, Eminem and many many more endorse Harris, but people ignored them. And now even the Guardian was asking this question, George Clooney, who cares? Did celebrity endorsements actually harm Kamala Harris. To answer this question, they went to an arts professor at New York University who finally stumbled on the truth. What matters to a celebrity isn't the interests of an average person. Beyonce isn't worrying about the price of gas. But we're going to take a quick break when we're back inside the fake gunshots scandal which is plaguing the ABC. Welcome back now to a major scandal of the ABC, with its Director of News, Justin Stevens, having to admit that fake gunshots were edited into a story about war crimes involving former Special Forces major Heston Russell.
Speaker 1: Two months ago, the Seven Networks Spotlight program raised complaints about the sound of extra gunshots being added in Today, the national broadcaster offered this apology.
Speaker 12: Obviously this shouldn't have occurred, and we're taking it and have taken it very seriously. And that's why we sincerely regret and apologize those editing errors in the video clips.
Speaker 2: Oh just a simple editing error, was it? No, The fake gunshot audio made it look like a soldier was shooting multiple rounds at unarmed civilians. Now this context matters, and we're going to show you why. Seven Spotlight exposed this in September in a.
Speaker 11: Way that would please any producer of Hollywood fiction. The ABC took Heston's story to another level. Video sequences in online news articles made it look like the shooter was taking potshots at a couple of unarmed men running for cover.
Speaker 2: And this next clip breaks down the significance of the doctor footage. Watch carefully and keep in mind this is supposedly just a simple, unintentional editing error. The first footage you will see here is the raw footage, and then Spotlight examines what the ABC did in the second clip.
Speaker 11: The commando's highlight video reel, complete with its anthemic underscore, provided the foundations for the ABC's online news story, but it took a significant detour from reality because in the actual helmet cam vision, it's a warning shot, then Heston's command to shoot, followed by six shots, revealing an astonishing difference between the source vision and the version of events told by the ABC's Mark Willersy, which starts with six rounds of firing, then a single warning shot becomes six.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't need a review to know that that was morally and professionally wrong. But okay, they apologize, and I assume that means there is accountability and consequences for the person or people which did this.
Speaker 12: Was anyone's employment terminated as a result of this.
Speaker 5: Center I can confirm no one's employment has been terminated.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they edited in fake gun shots which gave the impression that unarmed civilians were being gunned down by Australian soldiers, admitted it was adopted, deleted the clip, and no one lost their job. That would not happen at any serious newsroom in the world. And it gets worse, the ABC and it's spin teams will kick to try and shape the narrative behind the apology. ABC News cleared of deliberately misleading audiences. Barred issues an apology over a twenty twenty two Afghan war series. Now, keep in mind that this is a news report. It is in a press release by the comms team. It is supposed to be an independent news write up of what happened at Sented Estimates. Now they actually led the news article with a line about the fake gunshots being an accidental error, while glossing over the severity of the problem. ABC cleared of wrongdoing. What a disgrace, Tim Blair. They won't tell us who did it, They won't tell us how it happened. The only thing that we have to go on is their assurances a former ABC long term lifer who did a review, so they're calling it independent. Sure, their assurances that it wasn't deliberate, As if that makes it any better.
Speaker 8: Your thoughts, well, two main things. As you point out, this wasn't an error. The apology should have been along the lines of, we apologize for deliberately adding audio to this section of footage to make it appear more dramatic and to be more condemnatory towards the people we're depicting. That's one thing. The second point I make is this is a real victory for expertise, and it would have been the technical staff at Channel seven, It would have been a lot of the on air staff, a lot of the front people. This is a back room special scene. Your guys at Sky are exactly the same. You have that level of expertise and talent to detect when things have been faked up in depictions of such things as this. So, you know, congratulations to people who probably won't ever get named, but who probably collectively deserve a little on a perhaps some sort of you know, exposure Walkley or something like that, because they've done great work here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very well, said Darren. Your thoughts on the.
Speaker 9: Story, Hey, look, we all make mistakes in the media. There but for the grace of God go I as they say, But this was a very serious error I'm not sure the apology. It's good they've apologized, I'm not sure that it will restore trust in their processes and their journalism. The allegation was absolutely central to It was the main basis for the central allegation in the story, which was highly serious allegation. So, and as you said as well, I mean going into this that I don't think there was a lot of confidence in the review, and I don't think anyone's feeling they've really addressed the underlying problem here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just want to know how it happened. If you're saying it wasn't deliberate, explain the mechanisms of how it happened. Tim Blair, Darren Davidson, thank you so much for joining me. That's all the time that we have for tonight. Thank you for joining us, but we'll be back next Friday at the same time.