Speaker 1: I'll get a team before we get under way. Today, a blatant plug for me upcome a new mentoring program. As you know, I do me best to keep the advertising for my own programs to a minimum on this show because I think it's kind of annoying. But fuck it, today I'm breaking my own rule. So on July thirty, my new eight week online mentoring Extravaganza kicks off. And I've created this program for people who want to get more out of their time, talent, genetics, potential, skills, career and resources what they've got at their disposal. People who want to move above and beyond the groundhog danus of unconscious repetition, of frustration, of self sabotage and overthinking and underdoing, and the destructive habits and rituals, and the crappy results and the perpetual waiting for the right time that never comes. We'll be unpacking the human experience from a psychological, emotional, sociological, physiological, your body and behavioral perspective, and there'll be lots of room and time for interaction, conversation, and Q and A. So, if that doesn't sound terrible and you'd like to find out a little bit more about the program. Go to me website, me website and take a peek at the very detailed eight week overview. So just go to me dot com. Well, no it's not really, it's actually craigharper one word dot net. Click on education and see what's up. Alrighty, I'm with the show. I'll get a team. It's your project, Tiffany and Cook, Jeffrey, Brian, Kevin Patrick, doctor Jeffrey Kevin Pat. I don't know what is your middle name? Do you have a middle name? I do.
Speaker 2: It's David.
Speaker 1: Of course it is David. That's quite biblical, quite old Testament.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up in a religious household by any chance? No?
Speaker 2: But my hands were really big, so you know the statue?
Speaker 1: All right mate? Yeah, I know actly what you're talking about there, but we'll leave it there. How are you? How have you been? You probably missed us.
Speaker 2: Terribly? Yes, yes, I yes I did. How was that was that a get ounce?
Speaker 1: That was so fucking unconvincing? Try harder missed you guys.
Speaker 2: It's been like a month and I need a good update. What's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, it's winter as fuck here. It's about five degrees this morning, which is probably around forty degrees fahrenheit. And Tiff, are you dressing your animals up in clothes like half of the other people in Melbourne?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am yes?
Speaker 2: Always is what.
Speaker 1: Does what does Luna wear when you take her out for a stroll?
Speaker 3: She has got the most beautiful little button up jacket with a hood, with a little fluffy hood on it, and she's got some little boots called honey boots.
Speaker 1: She's got boots. I feel like that's bad for dogs. Don't they need the tactility of the earth beneath their feet?
Speaker 2: Not mine?
Speaker 3: She gets grit stuck in her also, remember last year she had to have surgery to get grit removed from her poor pads.
Speaker 2: So now she has to wear that.
Speaker 3: That's vet prescribed a tire.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: By any chance does the vet sell the aforementioned a tire?
Speaker 3: No, they actually don't at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, And doctor Jeff, you are telling us she've got a big, wild, terrifying, protective animal at home. Tell our list.
Speaker 2: Please do not deliver, Do not deliver anything to our door. Do not try to sell us windows door to door knaves you you will be attacked by our Yorkie who believes he is a German shepherd.
Speaker 1: Two kilograms or four point four pounds of absolute terror exactly. That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: But we have no routes. I think there were bread to you clear out routes from the sewers in England or something, so.
Speaker 1: I think you might be right there. Yeah, it's funny how dogs were bred for different purpose. What's the purposes? Is that they purposes? I feel like it should be perpi. All right, enough about that. Hey, I want to talk to you about and you know our listeners don't know, but I give you no heads up. I don't say this is what I'd like to talk about today. We just talk for thirteen seconds and start recording. Today is no different and you can go wherever you want, or you can come up with something different. But I would like selfishly to talk about pain. Like to talk about pain. I'd like to talk about backs. I'd like to talk about what we call dodgy backs. Dodgybacks. That's like dodger is an Australian term just means like a dicky back. I guess you know backs, they're a bit fucked. I think every second person I know has got some kind of back issues, right, and of course you come from a surgical background as well. How many people do you reckon or maybe you actually know that the stats, but how many people suffer from back pain?
Speaker 2: At some point in your life? Over eighty some percent of people will have at least an episode of back pain, usually low back pain, but you know, not as many people have will call chronic ongoing yeah pain unless there's some sort of injury or reason for it.
Speaker 1: I feel like back well, I don't know. I've never given birth, obviously, and I don't know how much pain I've had in my life. But when I've stuffed my back a few times, I've had multiple injections into my spine of cortisone and which may or may not be a good idea. But when I've wrecked my lower back deadlifting and like bulged a disc and all of these things not ruptured, but and had all that that uteral pain where I literally for about a week, I couldn't I couldn't walk more than you know, five or ten tiny steps. Getting out of bed was pretty much impossible. So I had to sleep in a like a lounge chair sitting up, and it's it's funny, like now I'm relatively pain free and very grateful, But you don't realize how awesome it is to be pain free until you've been in excruciating pain. I feel like, a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you knew a little taste of it to appreciate what you have.
Speaker 1: What are the things that we should do to optimize back health that maybe we typically don't do so much well?
Speaker 2: I think first and foremost is to get up out of our chairs and move, and to be more specific, is to move our cores. And by cores, I don't just mean abdominals, I mean the entire circumferential core, specifically the muscles in the back and your obliques on the sides, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean is that they say that they say that like sitting is the new smoking, you know, and because we you know, like I'm sitting right now in a comfy office chair literally with a cushion behind my back. You know, I could pretty much just hang off my ligaments and tendons like I don't need to, you know, Like it's so I'm so predisposed in this chair to be unaware of what's happening in terms of my core and my stabilizers and my spine because I guess subconsciously, my default setting is just set for comfort. So slumping is easy, right.
Speaker 2: Slumping is very easy. Some people have taken to sitting on a stool or an exercise bar because you have to use your stabilizer muscles and your core muscles to maintain that upright pasture while you still get to set somewhat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the idea of not only sitting on an unstable surface, of course, like a ball where you've got to use your stabilizers to not fall on the floor, but even training, you know, like instability or training in an unstable environment, so to speak, where you're doing even things like a bench press on a ball instead of a bench press on a bench, where now you've got to balance the ball and you've got a bigger range of movement and you're you know, you scalp, your scapuli can kind of retract towards the spine and rather than get jammed. But also you've got to you know, all of these stabilizers through the shoulders and hips and stuff that you don't need so much when you're on a bench, all of a sudden they're required to do the movement. So I think training, you know, right person, of course, at the right level of conditioning, but training on a surface that's not so stable has got universal benefits.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you have to use the little stabilizer muscles. There's even a trend here on the side of the globe to do exercises on these vibration plates. Do you have that as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so the Yeah, they've been around for quite a while. I think they come out They came out here not long after there, but yeah, there's a big in that functional kind of exercise space. But what do you think of those those vibration plates.
Speaker 2: I think, look, yeah, they're fantastic. We we do our planks on them at the gym, and then we have a less expensive one at home. Sometimes we'll get on that and you know, just just hold a squat position or do some things. Plus there's some lymphatic drainage benefit that comes from this forty to sixty hertz vibration. And we have a I'll go one further. We have a new bed and the bed has these big speakers in it. Not that we want these electromagnetic forces, but it'll actually do like a fifteen minute vibration cycle. At night, you turn on a little timer and wow, it's like speaker gives you this forty to sixty hurts. I can't remember the exact frequency. Sort of minium massage. It's not that much of a massage, but you do get You do get some of the frequency that's good for lymphatic drainage, which we just don't do because we're not moving as well more as much. And you need to clear out your left because it's sort of the sewage system. If you can't clean out your learn, if you're more likely to have cancer and other problems.
Speaker 1: It's something I think, like our emphatic system and lymph drainage, I don't think. I mean I don't think about it a lot myself. So TIF do you think about that?
Speaker 3: I do, because in a lot of tests and DNA stuff, it's come up that my my limph system is a bit sluggish.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Yeah, maybe I need to think about that. He speaking of instability and training on unstable surfaces. I did just a little bit of curious research the other day, doc on I was thinking about because I do a lot of I live near the beach, I walk on the soft sand a lot, and of course it's unstable. Of course, you know, it's not firm, so it requires more energy to you know, there's a bunch of physiological benefits of you know, your heart rate will be high, so a bit more fitness, a bit more muscular endurance, a bit more lower body strength required all of these things. But I was trying to I think at about what's the difference in calorie expenditure, and I forget the reference, but I actually found a couple of studies. But so my best kind of somewhat scientific estimation of just for example, me walking one for one hour at five kilometers per hour or three miles per hour, about the same in my body weight, which is about one eighty or eighty one or two kilos on a firm surface, two hundred and eighty calories per hour, give or take. Then if you do the exact same thing, same body, same weight, same distance, same speed, same time, it goes up to over seven hundred calories for an hour, Like it's something in the range of two point two to two point seven x doing the same. That's mind blowing, right.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. We should create treadmills that have you know, variable surface, So you have to deal with that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I know, I mean it's so much you know, it's so much tougher even mentally, You've got to concentrate so much more. But all right, so let's if we can talk about backs a little bit. So you do you do stem cell activation for back pain? Am I right in saying that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How does that? What is that? How does that work? Well?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, you have to you have to know the exact source of the pain. Is it the disc, is it some of the joints in the back part of the spine, is it something else? You can't just treat it generically, right, So, years ago, the diagnosis for bacpin was called lumbargo and I didn't really speak to what was causing the pain, and we really need to know the specific anatomic source and confirm it. But you know, let's say it's the little joints in the back of the spine. You know, because those joints are like other joints in the body. When they get inflamed and dysfunctional, they're the cartilage in there wears down and that kind of that that causes this fisious cycle of more pain. Then more wear and tear and et cetera. So we we've now demonstrated clinically that you can use regenerative biologic so stem cells or stem cell derives, signal factors like exosomes from stem cells which are small vesicles and growth factors that you might find in the amniotic fluid and restimulate these joints to you know, make cartilage again and behave in a more youthful way and restore themselves like a younger person would restore an injury. So that's that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: To me, it seems like a more logical protocol then, especially when you talk about the generation of disks and spine and you know, herniations and so I had a and spinal canal stenosis. When you think that adding like the common thinking is we'll go to the gym and get strong and your back will be better. But I think sometimes, depending on what you're doing at the gym, you can actually make your back worse. Do you know what I'm saying, Like, if there's already degeneration and you've already got stuff that's kind of, for one of a better word, crumbling, I don't know that kicking off with deadlift is going to be a great strategy.
Speaker 2: I know that's very true. But strengthen the pair spinals, the multipidi muscles, the muscles in the back, the obliques do help support the spine and offload the discs. So yes, you think about it. Those muscles are your own internal brace. So if you can create your own brace, then whatever you do, you have a lesser chance of aggravating your problems in your lower back.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had back stuff yourself back issues?
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: I was, truth be told, I was jogging one beautiful autumn day and I was hitting that stride that runners high. I was in my fourth mile. I don't know, that's like what you thousands of kilometers or something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's the fifth or sixth kilometer. And I had the wonderful music going. I was just in my space and I had to come up over this little bridge and cross a road, and I saw the cars were stopped in both directions, so I can just frogger across here. Do you have frogger over there? You know what that is? I lost the game and there was a car in some type of middle lane I didn't see in it. It launched me into the air shoes are flying O, my god, and landed on my keister. Do you have keyster's over there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all have one. We just maybe not use that term.
Speaker 2: It's our behind landed on my behind, and then ever since then, I've had this U this the slow back is you calm down quite a bit. But if I stand in one period of time without without moving around, it's it's trouble. So I don't do the long surgeries and the if we go to a cocktail party, that's that's the devil, because you have to stand around at those things and pretend you're having a good time, you know, because standing one positions rough. If I'm moving around, exercising, running, whatever, I feel much better.
Speaker 1: Do you how much of how much of the pine that we This is a weak question, maybe it's unanswerable, but how much of the pine that we experience is purely physiological like neural whatever? And how much is it because we're paying attention to that? Like is there a cognitive or psychological component too?
Speaker 2: Enough?
Speaker 1: For want of a better term, the volume of our pain?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's a there's a gain control knob called the brain, and and you can amplify pain. You can deamplify pain by distracting yourself from it. You know, if you have back pain and I come up and punch in the arm, it'll take your mind off the back pain for a second. So plus, there are all these techniques, right, You can relaxation, meditation, maybe watching a movie or or something will take your mind away from other things. There there are always those those influences, you know, we call the brain influence. We call them super tentorial influences. Here hear that that term that means the cerebrum, the thinking part of the brain does does influence the volume of the pain, like you called it correctly.
Speaker 1: What's that TIF? Can you look up? Or maybe the doc knows it? Do you know that term? You know? People who don't feel pain? What is that? There's like a condition, it's like very very rare. But people who can't feel pain. I feel like that's not going to be the advantage you think it would be.
Speaker 2: There's a recent movie. Yeah it's comedic, but it's you know, the guy apparently has this syndrome. I've never seen it. I usually see the opposite, the people have pain and then some but people that don't have pain, probably don't show up too often. But this guy had it so bad in the movie How to Kick Himself Home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you wouldn't have. Like I mean, pain is also keeps you safe in a way. Have you found it? Tip?
Speaker 3: Congenital insensitivity to pain CIP.
Speaker 1: Wow? Who knew? How many people have that? Can you figure that out? Tip? So I want to talk to you a little bit about I know that you're only in your early forties, you know, and just stunning at that, but I'm sixty one. So you've got that to look forward to if you make it. In terms of in terms of aging and managing ourselves as we age, what are some of the things that people might not think about which you're going to keep them perhaps biologically younger than their chronology if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I do, because we look at that with patients all the time. Now, your biological age versus your chronological age? Yes, what's your birthday? Right? So first and foremost is maintaining movement. If you move, your body has to adapt to survive, and that means it's in healthy estates. So if you could just do one simple thing, it's keep moving, keep exercising, lift heavy, go far. Yes, so it doesn't and it doesn't have to be two hours a day. It can be very strategic. You and I've talked about this previously, Craig. You know, working, working failure, high intensity, but more less volume's less quantity, more quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like stillness is good for your soul but bad for your body. I was just thinking about the irony there where we're encouraged so much to be still. Just fucking be still, you know, chill, take a chill pill and be still, but don't be still for too long. Then go and move like a crazy person. So yeah, if you have if.
Speaker 2: You exercise heavy and well, you will relax better, you'll have better stillness later and that afterwards.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting that a lot of people who tip. Do you have an answer to that question? By the way, under a thousand people in the world. Yeah, yeah, I feel like that's it's probably we probably don't need millions of people walking around the earth with that, because I feel like that's going to be a problem. I've always thought Doc as someone who's spent most of his life in gyms, or a lot of his life in gyms. That often the people who really don't need to be there so much like live there. And then the people who really would benefit from being in the gym. You know, every human over forty five fifty, they're the people that tell themselves, I'm too old for the gym, or that's for the young people, or that's not for me, or you know, they'd be too embarrassed or self conscious or whatever. When the irony is that's you know, the right kind of gym with the right kind of program is the perfect environment for them in terms of longevity and health span, right.
Speaker 2: And would you rather be the oldest person in the gym or the youngest person in the old person and some Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You're going to say the cemetery exactly exactly, And I think that just like you said, even just even just moving, like even just walking, you know, I didn't. I did an episode the other day where I was talking about just some really simple things that older people can do that don't require a gym, don't require equipment, don't require any particular skill, and they're so simple, but I still know that most people won't do them. Like what is what is what is that gap do you think between people they know what they should do or they know they should do something. And I'm sure you've dealt with this when you give people rehab or stuff where post surgery they've got to go do stuff and you know that they won't do it or they don't do it. What do you think that apprehension or that disconnect is.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one them. You know what, what's the motivation vitemin there that you know keeps them from I realized starting is hard, but once you start to see the results people, once you hit that, you know, that escape velocity there, then then you want to do it. So we've got it. We've got to move that needle. I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think part of it is that we love instant gratification, and when you start something that's going to be a process over time, we don't necessarily get that those instant results or even the short term results and just hanging in there while that happens. And as you said, you know, the peaks and troughs of motivation, which is part of the human experience, kind of means that many people just stop doing what they started within you know, a short period of time. So how long do you reckon it takes. I was going to say, sorry, how long do you think it takes? This is very not a you question, but I'm sure you've got an opinion, like to actually change ow operating system where it now. It becomes a habit. Now, I don't need to find motivation or inspiration or willpower or discipline because this is just me now.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's different there, and I think the more racalcilitoring people are, the longer it takes. But when we see this in the weight last side of things, people that you know lose that first ten or twenty pounds, they get enthusiastic about losing more, but just getting that started is the hard part. So I think it's highly variable. I don't think there is a one good answer fits everyone.
Speaker 1: And what's your thoughts on why you know people lose weight? And I know it's a myriad of reasons, but what might be near the top of the list why people who lose weight? Many of them like hYP percentage put it back on.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there what's in front of them is list here is or tends to weight gain. Right, we have a poor food, poor choices. The more convenient and less expensive choices tend to gain weight. Right, So if you're trying to save money or you just want to get something fast, you're more likely to have something that's not good for your metabolism in many ways, seed oils, carbohydrates, you know, even sugar. So I think that that's just simplus a taste better. Right, They've they've engineered these foods to get us to like them more. So you've got a we're fighting an uphill battle of you know, just like just like a drug habit, right, you know, it's it's it's it's easy to start, but it's hard to quit.
Speaker 1: When you when you're with patients who come to you for a very specific reason, like even site you know, to get the the back traded, you know, particular a particular problem with stem cell activation or whatever. They come through the door. I feel like you're the kind of doctor that you would talk to them about a whole bunch of stuff. Like I feel like I could go to see you about my back and you asked me about my sleep and my diet and my relationship and my emotional state and my job, And is that part of your operating system?
Speaker 2: It is, and it's it's curated for each individual. You know, a lot of my clients are already you know, we'll call them biohackers or dialed in on a lot of these things. Some people are not, So we have to start a square one with like you said, diet, nutrition, sleep, exercise, you know, mindfulness, meditation, you know, blood tests, everything you know, you know, and sometimes we have to start slow with them because if I give people fifty things to change it, they're just going to be overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: And people are more receptive to this kind of integrated approach than you know, ten years ago, like it seems to be normalizing.
Speaker 2: Well, my client tele have changed as I've moved further and further from the sick care system into the prevention and wellness and regenitive system. I'm just I'm seeking clients who are more like minded, which is helped with that disconsonance that's here, at least here in our system, where you've got people who don't want to do the work to be healthy. They just want to take a pill in a system that wants to just give them a pill because that's what the financial incentives are, and then they're cranky when they can't get something else covered by their quote unquote insurance plan. I said to that in quotes, because I don't think they should to use the word insurance because they're so conflicted. Conflict of interest is abundant.
Speaker 1: There do you get Do you get any pushback or height from your medical colleagues when you talk about the sick care system when you use that term. I'm with you, by the way, one hundred percent agree with you. But does that does that ruffle feathers or your past giving a fuck?
Speaker 2: No? Well, I'm certainly past giving a fuck, but I think that that doesn't ruffle their feathers. I think they'd agree and be happy to whine, but very few are willing to act on it. They'd rather sit in the mediocrity, continue to drink the kool aid and follow the cookbook. So that's that's where we depart, and I think I've always departed, and and that that has been challenging in some in some ways that sometimes, but I think that my duty to the patient to give them better options and protect their access to what's new and potentially beneficial, versus following what the insurance will pay for, all as the hippocratic oath before it follows. Some insurance plans, you know, pamphlet.
Speaker 1: And was there a particular for you, a particular moment, light bulb moment or event or I don't know, tipping point where you went. Yeah, there's probably more to it than this where you started to move away. Did something happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were many milestones, but i'll recant one for you. I was early in my practice, probably the year two thousand maybe to year two thousand and one, and I was still young enough to take emergency room call. So when they would have traumas, you know, i'd get called to the emergency room, so brain traumas mostly. So I took care of one particular individual or I'll never forget the story, and I know exactly what she looks like from years ago. But she was having a fight with her boyfriend and somehow she ended up exiting a moving vehicle. I don't know if she was encouraged to exit it or she exited on her own accord, but she was out of the car and had a very significant head injury. So she required many operations middle of the night, you know, drains replace this that she was in the intensive care unit for months. She was my patient, So I spent countless You had up all the hours, days and days and days with her, miraculously due to a technique called creamy ectomy, where we basically remove half the skull to allow the brain to swell, which was pretty aggressive at that era, but it works.
Speaker 1: What you give will Tyke doc.
Speaker 2: In two thousand and one, but very few places were doing it, so we did a crany ectomy and later, you know, the brain selling improved and I was able to put the skull back in so many many operations. She was basically the Frankenstein Project. And she went off to a rehab facility and learned to walk and talk again, so very happy front page of the newspaper, such a miraculous story. And her insurance company was this managed care set of clowns who decided they weren't going to pay anything. Why because that one patient would have bankrupted their system. So they actually took took protective action, and they went against the group I was with. The group didn't want the hassle, so they said fine, they waved the bill. I didn't have control of it was a young pup at the time and the group was controlling it. And that was my thing to say, why if all this training and all this effort, and you know, sleepless nights and you know, all these things we did aren't reimbursable. I can't I can't survive on this. I can't do a career on it. You know, I'm basically doing I'm doing charity work. I did hundreds of thousands of dollars in charity work on that one patient. So, needless to say that, that was when I started to drop all we call contracts with insurance companies, and we call that out of network here. So it reduced the number of patients I was seeing, and at first I was not very busy, but then because you can spend more time with each patient, then yes, the quality was so good that you know, within a year I became you know, difficult to get into.
Speaker 1: And for you was I mean that that model where you can spend much longer with a patient has got to be more fulfilling and rewarding and aligning with who and how you want to be.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I mean these are relationships there, you know, can be very important relationships, right, you know, surgery and decisions, medical decisions, and you know you're less likely to miss something if you spend more time with the patient, you're less likely to have a medical error, and and you're more likely to find alternative and maybe better solutions than the quick and easy surgery. So that became my practice for many years, is morphed into what I'm doing now, which is try, like heck to avoid surgery and do all these other things.
Speaker 1: Was there one particular I don't know, modality or treatment option that was outside the allopathic medical paradigm, if that's the right term, that you got introduced something a bit eastern or weird in inverted commas, or something that was atypical within the world that you operated that first came to your attention and that I'll like open the door on, you know, alternative medicine or a more integrative approach. Was there one thing?
Speaker 2: No, I think I've always been open minded scientifically, but more recently, probably six or seven years ago, when I became reinvigorated with the whole stem cell and regenerative medicine field, that really caused me to you know, burst through the envelope, not just push it, but because this was so prevalent in Europe and in Asia, and so many Americans were leaving to go to these countries to get the treatment. It wasn't that far fetched. It just so to my colleagues, that's really where some of them still haven't. There's still the kool aid is so strong they can't break out of the teaching they had from twenty five years ago that was given to them by someone who has trained twenty five years before that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so all of the things that like I hear on the you know when I'm listening to other American podcasts often Rogan where they're talking to somebody who's had to go to Mexico to get this treatment that's you know, changed their life or whatever. You know, Right, But of all of the things that people have to travel to get done, what what are the things that you would like to see happening in the States where it would become more accessible and not so tied up in whatever bureaucracy or red tape, where you could just go, look, this person needs that without having to jump through all the hoops.
Speaker 2: Well that's the great myth. It is available in the States, but we're not allowed to advertise it. We can't advertise on Google, we can't advertise on Facebook, we're not allowed to make any claims that we can cure or treat anything with regenitive biologics, PRP, stem cells, anything in that realm, even though there's great science and medical evidence behind it. Until our government says they decide it's proven, we can't say. We can't advertise. So that's why you hear about these clinics in Mexico and Central America and other places, and they widely advertise to the citizens of the US, and they perpetuate this myth that these treatments are not available in the US. They are, with the proper informed consent, they are available in the US.
Speaker 1: So why is it? Why are you allowed to which, of course I think you should be, but why can you practice? Why can you offer these services if it seems like anyway the government doesn't endorse them or believe in.
Speaker 2: Them because the government does not regulate the practice of medicine. The government regulates consumer claims on products and on devices.
Speaker 1: Right, So yeah, I'm like, I was looking at your website before, and I was thinking, like, in line with this, it must be hard to like, you can tell people what you do, but you can't make any amazing claims, can you? Even if those claims are one hundred percent true.
Speaker 2: Right, we can't make any claims that can show patient outcome stories and anecdotes, and I can put in literature references where certain treatments are proven in Europe. Yes, you know, but as soon as you cross the Atlantic Ocean and come to America, your body must change and then it's no longer proven. I don't know, it's You're right, it's ironic, and the strings are course pulled by those who stand to lose the most, big pharmacy companies, big implant manufacturers. Things like that.
Speaker 1: Just remind me, what's Rfk's new title in the Trump administration. Isn't he something like there's something for health, Minister for Health.
Speaker 2: Secretary of Health and Human Services, I believe is the title.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts around him in that job? That's not a lot of question.
Speaker 2: No, it's a great question. I think that he is open minded and going to shake up the status quo. So regardless of his stance on you know, vaccines or this or that, I do want this to be shaken up. I do want the status quo gone. I do want these bureaucrats out who are just you know, taking up our tax dollars and pushing around the same papers and perpetuating you know, you know, rules based on nonsense because it suits someone in a in a corporate iv ivy tower somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it kind of reminds me of a little bit of war, of all of these men in these high towers sending kids off to war that have never been in the war themselves. You know that anyway. Yeah, so, oh well, we'll see what It's going to be interesting to see how that plays out with him, because he's certainly RFK I'm talking about, is certainly not afraid of stepping up and speaking up.
Speaker 2: So oh I love that about him. I love I love that, we love we love shaking it up. You know, it hasn't trickled down yet. I still have colleagues in the stem cell field that are getting these warning letters from the FDA, which is under the purview of you know, Robert F. Kennedy junior. But so at the high level, he's got these great ideas, he's putting these people in place, but the low level bureaucrats haven't stepped in lane yet, and they're still cranking out the same old nonsense that we've been, you know, stuck with for decades.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've ever asked you this, and this is probably not because we're heading towards the finish line, but what are your thoughts broadly around therapeutic uses of psychedelics. Is there anything in that that you think is potentially valuable?
Speaker 2: I do. I think that that is a blossoming area. You know a lot of these are natural plant drived We're going to learn more about them. There's been research that's been over the last let's say five years, really kind of lit up here in the US. I know Johns Hopkins has had a big project going on. Timothy Ferris is behind a lot of that, and he's been stimulating the funding of that, and you know, whether it's microdosing or what have you. And I've seen some pieces on this where you know, the brain accumulates and stores and protects trauma, traumatic events because it's so painful to let those out. Well, this might be the very lock to let those out in a safe way and help people, you know, achieve nirvana when they've been so stuck in themselves for so many years of no fault of their own.
Speaker 1: Perhaps one of my friends has recently, how much I can say, let's just say, I was going to say what he's using, but we won't say that because probably not meant to. But yeah, just opened a particular door and like for him, game changer. Like and he's not a you know, he's like fifty five year old dude. He's not a drug taker, he's not a but just he has tried this particular thing and yeah, really quite a profound pose. And I'm not endorsing anything anyone, I'm not recommending anything, but for him, and me as an observer of him, I'm like, what are you doing? And he told me. I'm like, oh wow, So yeah, I think these things can whatever right thing, right dose, right person can really create some good outcomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited about that field. So many people are stuck with these you know, psychological roadblocks, and you talk about pain amplification earlier. I mean one of those we see is the relationship between pain amplification and depression. And a lot of these depressive sources come from, you know, some usually childhood trauma, and people sometimes even know what that trauma is, they can't face that. So anything to open those doors and let out the demons would be fantastic.
Speaker 1: My training partner who's a walking experiment. I don't mean with steroid. So I mean he's just or he's always like he was a former pro bodybuilder, so you can imagine his background, right, But he's always just he's always trying new supplements, new products. His latest thing is nicotine. Like this is the guy that's never smoked, right, so he's doing nicotine patches. He is, he's on fire. He's like, he reckons, his brain works. But again, everyone not a recommendation. Like his brain works better, his pains less, his energy is more. Now, I'm sure over time that response will you know, drop and I'm sure he'll desensitize his receptors and all of that. But I don't know if we've spoken about nicotine before, But what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't done the deep dive on nicotine yet, but you know, at a low dose it may not be very addictive. And of course, if you're using some type of I don't know's he putting it in his mouth.
Speaker 1: There's a thing he's actually using a pat it's actually a patch. So it's a kind of an idea into twenty four hour delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't have the long complications you do with smoking it, or the mouth cancer issues with having a you know, tobacco in your mouth and that kind of thing. But it's it's becoming talked about more and more. And you know, nicotine is a necessary biochemical in our bodies, right we have you know, you talk about some of these these anti aging supplements like nmin or NAD plus. The end stands for nicotine, So I mean it's or nicotine of mine. It's it's some form of that. We do need nicotine. We have receptors for it. But yeah, you get too much, then, like you said, you get desensitized and you make more receptors and all of a sudden you're addicted. So I haven't done the deep dive, but I think there may be value there and we'll we'll continue to learn more and I'll report back to you at some point on that.
Speaker 1: I will say full disclosure. Every now and then, I will have a two milligram Nicorette, which is a chewing gum I probably had in my life. I've had ten. But and for me, it's a real again, everyone, not a recommendation. It's a real new tropic. It's like my let's say I've got to go and do a three hour workshop where I've got to talk for three hours. I've got to be switched on, president focused, articulate, you know, good recall whatever my normal is. And I can't really quantify this, but it feels I come about twenty percent better. It feels like I'm a bit sharper. I can focus for longer, I don't get distracted, and that's yeah. And because I take nothing, my receptors are like fresh, you know. So yeah, I don't know, it's it's proven okay for me.
Speaker 2: I haven't traded myself, and I do a lot of self experimenting and biohacking, and I just that's what I haven't tried yet. But let me let me get back to showing that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give it a give it a go. I'll prescribe that for you free. Also the other thing just quickly before we go. Maybe we spoke about this, but what's getting a lot of airtime lightly I haven't spoke about last time. Not sure, but is the cognitive benefits of creatine that that seems to be getting a good run at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well not just cognitive, but but yes, and we're talking about probably a ten grams plus per day. Yeah, maybe up to twenty grams. So this is this is a lot. You got to space it out, yeah, throughout the day. It's a lot. But if you're making a protein shake, there's no reason why you couldn't add five or ten grams to that shake and you won't you know, you won't taste it because by itself, creatine is not very tasty, right, So but you know, mix it with some good fruits and bananas and whatever you like, and you protein shape and you know, space it out throughout the day. And I think it's going to be a longevity A longevity protein is this creatine.
Speaker 1: So I agree for sure. Well as always, Doc, we appreciate you. Tell tell our audience where they can read about you, learn about you, connect with you if you.
Speaker 2: Would, Thank you so much. Always great to talk to you guys. But our business is called RE Celebrate our E C E L L E B R A T E. You can find us at re celebrate dot com or on Instagram at re celebrate TikTok, at re Celebrate Facebook, at re Celebrate LinkedIn, I re Celebrate Pinterest, whatever whatever. We're there at re Celebrate Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: We'll say goodbye O here, but as always, Doc, thanks so much for being on the You project.
Speaker 2: Love it, Thank you,