Speaker 1: I want the fairy tale. I want the prince Charming.
Speaker 2: She how do I put this? Isn't a fan of my kissing style.
Speaker 1: With the boyfriend and girlfriend for about twelve hours. He's in a trash bin. He's non recyclable catching them mu.
Speaker 2: I love being love. I love love.
Speaker 1: On today's episode of Where's Your Head At, we are celebrating the festive season.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned to hear how to be the best gift giver this year.
Speaker 1: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more.
Speaker 1: It's almost Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite time of the year. Merry Christmas. Everyone, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Anna, Merry Christmas, Matt. Matt has kindly brought me in a Christmas jumb hard to wear for this episode. We're getting very festive this year at Where's Your Head At.
Speaker 2: If anyone thinks that Anna's a Christmas jumper looks familiar, it is mine and Kira's matching Christmas jumpers from a couple of years ago. Yeah, so you've got hers on. Look to be fair, we have so we have a bunch of Christmas equations. We go all out at my house, at my mum's, we go all out and it.
Speaker 1: Was a stitch up.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, as I was leaving, there's a there's a tub full of all Christmas jumpers and stuff in the back room and we put away each year, and I just grabbed the first one and I was driving along and I was like, oh fuck, I've grabbed my exes.
Speaker 1: One for given it to me to put on. Haven't told me? And you decide to tell me now when it's too late to take it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that was actually the photo that the Daily Mail and that used when we broke up. So a bit grim to it. Otherwise, a great jumper.
Speaker 1: That wasn't even mocking Matt's laugh by the way, in case anyone didn't pick that up.
Speaker 2: No, I love Christmas. I love it so for my favorite time of the year, Christmas. In a couple of days, I'm very excited. I've had such a great festive season. I've watched that many Christmas movies. I'm just just soaking them all in. I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, look before it becomes time for me to give you a Christmas present. I feel like it's only fair that I give you your birthday present, which is how many months late? Now?
Speaker 2: Okay? So yeah, we were talking and I said the other day that she still has my birthday gift and I was like, well, we're doing a gift to giving episode, so perfectly give it to me on that episode. But it is Christmas now, is it a joint present or is it a.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a joint present. Oh okay, I mean I got you so last night it was out where's your head? At Christmas party? So sorry if me and that are a bit rusty. This morning, we had a couple of drinks. I mean not too many, but I'm not used to drinking. So I feel like I'm feeling.
Speaker 2: A bit like if we're slopping our words and we're a bit hum bear with us. We've got an coffee.
Speaker 1: I feel a little hung But anyway, I was like, I need to give you this gift. It's been sitting in my house. I'm sick of seeing it. Like anyway, I went to get the gift, find it from like behind the cubwords, taking me about six miles, and I realized that the card has gone missing, so who knows what those words said, those beautiful handwritten words. So it's just the present, cheers, thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to just add that I am well, we'll get into a gift giving later, but yeah, I'm not really awkward when I get given gifts.
Speaker 1: Matt fucking hates getting gifts. He's so awkward. If you don't like it, I really couldn't care less. So you can just admit, yeah, this is perfect.
Speaker 2: You know I love my tops, so you've got me a nice guns and Roses top.
Speaker 1: So I got in like a vintage tee because I feel like Matt loves vintage cheese. And then there was like boobs on it. I feel like, this is perfect, this is perfect, thank you? Why is your voice going high?
Speaker 2: I get awkward. I will will chat all about that later. I get really awkward getting gifts. I just I don't know. I just it wasn't a gift giving my dad's want a big gift give my mum, isn't. It just wasn't a thing in my house. It just wasn't.
Speaker 1: So do you have that T shirt? Because I was like, he has so many vintage te's that I feel like you might already have it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. It's fine. That's that's perfect thing.
Speaker 1: Is it a fit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. I told you I get awkward around getting gifts. In that I.
Speaker 1: Actually love how awkward is getting It's like so hilarious.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's actually very thoughtful gift because we were always wearing new You know how much I love wearing my new tops every episode I change.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you're constantly having like these new vintage tees and everyone's like commenting on them, and it's just totally going over my head. So I was like, okay, I need to find myself a vintage t shop and get Matt a good one. The girl kind of recommended it, and I mean the boobs on the front. There's like two girls with big boobs. So I was like, sold, you're very nad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll definitely see this on.
Speaker 1: Maybe in twenty twenty three. We'll see the the gums and roses into tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's actually really hot, isn't she. She's definitely my flavor. Heck girl, thank you, an, I'll give you a hug. But oh he's coming over.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's late.
Speaker 2: That's okay, better late than ever. Well, I have gotten you a Christmas gift?
Speaker 1: Fuck off, mat, I haven't brought you on. Now I'm behind and getting gifts. I've only just even done.
Speaker 2: Well I was. I was like, you know me, I love a sentimental gift, so I've gotten you.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so cute. So it is a where's your head at Christmas tree decoration?
Speaker 2: That's cute.
Speaker 1: How did you get that made?
Speaker 2: Well? I went to the place and I didn't realize, so sorry about the that's so cute. So what do you call it? On the back?
Speaker 1: Little Christmas tree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christmas trees on the back. I didn't realize they were going to be there. I thought it was just the color. And then they showed me with the Christmas trees and I was like, like the.
Speaker 1: Christmas tree like them? Yeah, I love it. Well, anyway, it's the season of giving. We've both gotten gifts and we were like, fuck, it's so hard, especially because I leave all of my shopping to the last minute.
Speaker 2: Do you do that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I leave all of my shopping to the last minute. It's atrocious.
Speaker 2: You know what. Call me a psychopath, but I actually enjoy going on like the Christmas Eve to the shops and seeing even though I've done all my shopping before, I'll still go just to see like everyone frantic and I love I love the vibe of it. It's a Chris like, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, you're taking up someone's Christmas car packing swat. It's like, fuck, I need to get my family presents. And that's just like coming for a little stroll.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll buy stuff. Obviously there's stuff because we yeah, we have a big Christmas Eve celebration. But I'll go like during the day and I'll just suss it out and see what's going on. I love it. I love Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what you mean. Like Christmas Eve shopping is really fun because the music's play. Everyone's like hustling and bustling. It just feels super excited like it's the night before Christmas. Santa is coming. So you know what I mean is it is fun. But yeah, we decided that we would give you, guys, everyone at home who's listening, who has not yet done their Christmas shopping, We're gonna give you our top gift giving list. So are we gonna do that next?
Speaker 2: All right? And so Christmas is in a couple of days. What do you have planned this year?
Speaker 1: So I am actually heading up to Mildura. Michael's sister lives up there. They just had a baby, so we're gonna celebrate with his family this year. Last year we celebrated with my family, so I guess we're kind of like doing it in turns and then we will celebrate with my family on the twenty seventh. So just a bit of like, you know, it's always hard with Christmas, right, especially when you know you're trying to like manage different families, and but yeah, we're very excited. Mill Dura is amazing and it's always super warm up there, so I'm excited to get some sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah you might have a hot Christmas. We probably won't down here in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your plans? Tell me?
Speaker 2: Well, every year it's a tradition we do Christmas Eve at my mum's. So like every one of my partners that I've ever had has said it's and it made like it's fun. Like we do like have a big dinner. We then do like Christmas cocktails, so like, yeah, we do like eggnog as well. One year, one year, I bought this big bottle of like apple cider and I'm like, I'm going to make spiced apple cider, so that I brought all these the seas what do you call them spices? Yeah, and I put them into like the pot and like strained them. It was the worst thing ever. Everyone was like cold, just like struggling to drink it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun. And then we do like the greench cocktail Christmas trees, we do like all different ones that we see during the year, and we all bring the ingredients for that. We do Christmas Eve with mums so it freeze up the next day so we can go with our partners. So like now has a partner in Lara does, and we all just go to our partners the next day for Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Nice. What about your poor mom? What she doing?
Speaker 2: She just wants She just likes hanging out, to be honest. She loves her own time. So she was probably gonna hang out Christmas Day by herself. And I guess watch some Christmas.
Speaker 1: Watch some Christmas movie, Christmas movie, Like when it gets closer to Christmas, I just have to watch Love actually the Night before Christmas, like The Night Before or That's Christmas Movie or Home Alone. I'm like, they're just the best Christmas movies. They just get me in the mood.
Speaker 2: Love actually is our Christmas Eve movie? Will chuck that up. Yeah, I think that's a lot of people. It's a real Christmasy movie.
Speaker 1: It's really Christmasy. It feel good. Everyone finds love at the end. It's like a happy ending and it's you know, it's good. But actual Christmas Day giving gifts, Matt, you said before you absolutely hate gift givings. It's surprising to me that Christmas, the day of everyone exchanging gifts is a day that you know, love.
Speaker 2: I love like the festive thing about it, not the actual gift giving. I don't know. So, Like I said before, gift giving wasn't really big in my family. My dad would never really give gifts. My mom. There's like a there's a funny story that we're still telling this family. Like I literally wrote a list, broke it down to my This is probably where my chouma comes from. I wrote, sorry mom for sharing this, but I broke it down, Like I said, I want like wrote down which wrestler, I want everyone where to get it? How much it is like curd angle lot of figurine line six, like telling her which what ones to get and she ended up getting me a dart board. So I'm some ten year old, like, what the fuck am I supposed to do with this?
Speaker 1: So basically you'd set your heart long crisis on getting this wrestler for.
Speaker 2: Multiple wrestlers, like, and I just wrote them all down, which if you can't get this one, get this one. If you can't do that, get this one, but this one will be here so you can get this one.
Speaker 1: And so she basically she couldn't get any and just went for the dartboard.
Speaker 2: And then there's another one. And then she says when she got me a cricket bat and cricket stumps one year, and I was just like, I was into cricket that year, but still I didn't ask for them.
Speaker 1: But you're never into Darce key point, Yeah, never dart So this trauma seed was planned, yeah, but so.
Speaker 2: It just never was. Gift giving was never big in my family. It was like acts of services more or like quality time, whereas affirmation never gift giving.
Speaker 1: Whereas I am a big on gift giving, Like that's definitely one of my love languages. I just absolutely love it. I love giving gifts to people and seeing their like face, Like I mean even thothough you were squirming before when I gave you a birthday present, I was thoroughly enjoying myself.
Speaker 2: Really, what did you reckon? It released a serotonin in your brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like you're like doing something nice for someone else. So like, I love it. Funny story in my family because we obviously love gift giving. And one year when I still very much believed in Santa, what like when I was younger, What.
Speaker 2: Do you mean believe in Santa?
Speaker 1: And I believe I believe for everyone listening to what just spoil? Anyway, Basically, we had two big couches in our house, and Santa would leave my brother's presence on one couch and my presence on the other couch. But we had this little what is it called like a puffe or you know, I think pufe is like British. Yeah, so there's like a little ottoman in the middle, so it's like a middle couch. So it's kind of like no man's land, like who there was one present on there and literally.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cruel by Santa me, right.
Speaker 1: Like we know which couches our presents are going to be on and then there's just one present in the middle on this ottoman and I saw it and I was like, that's mine. Santa left it for me. And my brother's like, no, that's mine, and my parents obviously, because you know by our Santa, we're like, no, I think Santa's left there for your brother. And I was like, how would you know? You don't know what Santa was?
Speaker 2: Did he tell you? This? Did tell you?
Speaker 1: And my mom's like, I'm gonna have to call Santa. I'm like, you can't call him, you don't have his number. I know that presence for me. I know Santa wanted me to have that present. Spoiled brat alert, But I honestly it's such a cool memory of mine because I felt like, even though all of these beautiful presents had been given to me from Santa, I was like, everyone's robbing me about other present.
Speaker 2: What was it in the end?
Speaker 1: I honestly can't remember, but I just remember.
Speaker 2: Imagine if it was like a hot wheel set or like some real boy thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, hilarious. And my family always looks back on that and they're like, oh my god, you were so spoiled.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, fair enough, if what was it? Just Christmas wrapping and it had no name on it.
Speaker 1: No, my parents ever did Christmas rapping, so it was all just set out. Everything was laid out, so we'd like come downstairs and everything was just like.
Speaker 2: Not wrapped up.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, everything has to be wrapped up in our house, even to the point where like we had my ex brought around her Christmas gifts and it was it wasn't Christmas wrapping paper, and Emma lost it and re wrapped it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was all matching. So when you come down, it's all matching. We're real stickless for Christmas our house.
Speaker 1: Okay, Matt, So have you done any of your Christmas shopping yet?
Speaker 2: I've got the big chunk of it done. I've still got little things here and there, to be honest, I had a lot of them a while ago. Like I stumbled on stuff a couple of months ago, and I was like, this will be perfect for Laara, this will be perfect for Emma.
Speaker 1: When you do that, that's so good because when you just have like a time limit of like three hours and you're like, okay, I need to do everyone, so you just end up buying people things because you're like, well, it's this or nothing, whereas like when you do it over a long period of time, you actually end up getting more thoughtful gifts. And I mean you are thoughtful, so it makes sense. So I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping other than Michael's sister's baby. We got him a paddling pool, which will be great for Christmas Day and Mildura.
Speaker 2: Getting baby stuff's pretty easy, it's cute and it's.
Speaker 1: Fun baby shopping as well, for like toys.
Speaker 2: I remember for my brother, my baby brother, I got him a wrestling belts when he was like one year old. For the first it didn't go down well, he wanted.
Speaker 1: Nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: Well, he was like not even one. He's like that's no, it's like through the side.
Speaker 1: But Michael and I aren't doing presents this year. I mean, I think we might get like a couple of little things, but I think we are gonna have our wedding in Greece, yes in twenty twenty four, So I think our presence to one another this year is just flights to Greece next year so that we can go and like scope out the wedding venue. So yeah, we're not really doing presents. Yeah, I mean we are doing presents. We're gonna go to Greece, go to Greece together, so that'll be really fun. So we have something to look forward to there. And yeah, I still have Christmas presents for my mom dad.
Speaker 2: What do you normally get your mum and dad?
Speaker 1: I mean, my dad is known to get a lot of socks, just like the basic dad things that people get. But I've tried to kind of go outside of the box recently.
Speaker 2: Shows how old I'm getting. I would love new underwear and socks. Y, So if my family's listening, but I am desperate for some new white Nike.
Speaker 1: Socks, like some Calvin Kliines, Hugo Boss underwear like.
Speaker 2: Vibe brief not trunks by the way, in case anyone's listening, trunks try it up too much.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, like, look, let's talk through some gift ideas for your mum and dad. So the first thing that we put on the list was appliances, So things like a robo vacuum, Like that is a great gift. How I would love a robo vacuum.
Speaker 2: Is this the little thing that goes around?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes around. And then your parents are not going to have to actually go ahead and vacuum.
Speaker 2: No, I have. I remember my exit one of them. It was my notich Nemesis. I hated it, Nemesis. It was just I just wasn't a fan of him.
Speaker 1: But was it verse for the back? But I mean, who would you prefer to vacuum the robo? Or here?
Speaker 2: This is true, I can go for it. Another good one is air fryers. Swear by them so good.
Speaker 1: See I haven't tried an air fryer, but I feel like it's something that I could get around.
Speaker 2: Swear by it. Seriously. Turn up to two hundred and fifteen minutes. Chuck your salmon in there. It's done, perfectly cooked, perfectly cooked. Literally, it's the easiest thing I get home from Jim. Put it in there, chuck it in, turn it on, go, have a shower, time to sit down and it's done.
Speaker 1: And then once it's done, can you put it in the dish washer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easy to wash my hand though.
Speaker 1: I'm not a hand washer.
Speaker 2: It's literally just like it's just with a sponge. Do you know one of those things where the liquid comes out of the sponge.
Speaker 1: Hand the hand action that map's doing in the studio right now.
Speaker 2: Not normal but OK, yeah, so like you just like yeah, you just wash it. It's no stress. So I swear by air fryers. Get them one of them.
Speaker 1: Very good gift. Another gift idea that I love, which I've done from my dad before, is a photo book. You know, very somal sentimental. You would love a photo book, a book from anyone, whether it be me, this is your mum, whoever. It is just a photo of you, and lots of different.
Speaker 2: We're talking about gifts were given. This is how bad I am. A gift. We did a Chris Kringle with my cousin's extendard family. It was when i'd just gotten off Love Island. I printed off a photo of me. This is because you know there's a limit like twenty bucks ten bucks on Chris Kringle printed off a photo of me, put it in a photo frame, signed it on the back. He's a full grown blowite me the same agees a little bit older, I think two years older than me. On the back, dear James, keep doing, keep doing you You're killing it mate, Love Matt from Love Island and gave that to him and Chris Kringle to my cousin's family friend cousin's boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Did he even watch the show?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I am mortified for you that you did. That is so he was probably like, this guy's ego is fucking sky.
Speaker 2: I've got a photo of it somewhere on my phone, put it on the Facebook. Well they have since broken up actually, so yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's definitely so a photo book.
Speaker 2: It's probably worth fairbing now though, so it's silly to.
Speaker 1: Throw out so a photo book. We love a photo book. Another thing that we love is an experience. So you're sentimental. Do you like an experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I experiences?
Speaker 1: So maybe like a balloon ride for two, maybe like going to the peninsula hotspread.
Speaker 2: Tactical thing about an experiences you can be like And this goes to people that are a bit like, oh, I don't know if I want to spend too much money on my partner. I don't know if I want to spend that much money. The money you're spending, you're technically halfing because you're getting to do that experience.
Speaker 1: You get to do it too, right. Another one is movie tickets, like gold class movie tickets. I still have two sets of movie tickets from last Christmas from my own expiring. No, they last for two years apparently, so they don't actually run out until twenty twenty four, which is why I haven't been in a rush to use them. But I it's such a good gift.
Speaker 2: It's great gift.
Speaker 1: The thing about gift giving is you just want people to be able to like it or use it. You don't want them to get something and be like, oh, that's junk. I want to throw it out, or I want to regift it to someone else because I don't want that.
Speaker 2: Or you definitely can't regift that ball ball. Yeah that's your podcast. Why are you giving me that?
Speaker 1: Another great one form and Dad is alcohol, chocolates, easy sake, you know. Yeah. I feel like for my dad, like he loves great, a nice bottle of red wine. So it's just a simple one. Obviously, if your parents don't drink, you can move to alcohol. Other hampers things like that.
Speaker 2: My dad loves chocolate, he doesn't drink, So just for getting lint balls every.
Speaker 1: Year, Yeah, love that. Board games, activities to do with the family, things to help everyone bond on Christmas Day. I don't know about your family, but we're beg into games on Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: No, like I said, we don't Christmas Day, we don't really hang out. We'll just do the gifts in the morning, then like go get ready to go to our partners Christmases. So we don't really do much on Christmas Day together.
Speaker 1: Right, But what about the Christmas evening?
Speaker 2: It's more like a dinner sort of setup. So it's more like you get there, there's drinks, dinner, you're around a fire. Sometimes we'll get a fire going for it's not too windy, just talking shit like and then watch a movie at the end.
Speaker 1: So it's more like Bond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more like that sort of time, not so much games, but.
Speaker 1: From me and my family. If I was to get someone in my family, like a game that would go down a tree and I reckon, we'd probably play it on the day.
Speaker 2: So options, well, that's sort of can I can agree to that in a way that we'll do Christmas movies up to Christmas Eve, then Christmas Day when we all get back from our partners Christmas, if we're coming back, we watched the movie that was gifted to us. We've done that in the past, the DVD. Yeah, so it's sort of the same as podcast back in.
Speaker 1: The days of the dv I still.
Speaker 2: Love DVD's I want Yeah, I love them. I reckon. I want to get a massive movie room with just all my DVDs. I probably have like a thousand.
Speaker 1: You would.
Speaker 2: Books is a good one, so that's easy. My mum sisters love books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know the genre that people like to read as well. You can ask them the ideas of authors. Pajamas. Pajamas is a great one.
Speaker 2: Another great one, slippers, slippers.
Speaker 1: I got both my parents matching us slippers last year and it was really cute. They still have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very cute, like a long time so I reckon. Yeah, pajamas is perfect. You just go in and you get your mum's slippers. A row from Peter Alexander perfect. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that, or one.
Speaker 2: Of those candles.
Speaker 1: I love a candle. Yeah, mums love candles. Don't love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't go wrong. It's a safe bet.
Speaker 1: It's very safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We've just given you the literally the safest guide of what to buy presence. And if you guys suck it up after listening.
Speaker 1: To that, je you is okay. Next we're going to talk about what's value partner.
Speaker 2: And every year everyone stresses about what to get their partner for Christmas. It actually is it could make or break a relationship sometimes reckon Well, if there's no if like you're like me and you struggle with giving presents and someone else loves receiving presents, it can be and there's no actual I'll tell you a massive thing before we get into it.
Speaker 1: Set a budget, set a budget one percent. We do it every year. I mean when I say we do it every year. We've only had one Christmas together, but last year we did it. And with previous partners, I've also.
Speaker 2: Said I set a budget with my ex and obviously we said before how her love language is gift giving, so I know that she would buy it. Like literally, I'd come home and she'd have gifts for me. She just would give me gifts. She'd sit there on the couch buy gifts for me.
Speaker 1: What a blessed life.
Speaker 2: You were leading that it was a great It was a positive in an otherwise non positive relationship. I was getting these gifts, but I feel uncomfortable, and I tell it, I actually feel uncomfortable getting these gifts. We've expressed that you had a partner that didn't like gifts giving either as well. There was sort of like a thought about it, like, oh, well, if you've gotten me this, like I need to get you something in return. I can't accept this without giving something back, do you know what I mean? So I really didn't. I felt uncomfortable with that. And one Christmas, we had a budget of I know this sounds extravagant, but it was like five hundred bucks. I knew what she was like. She went on and spent to like two thousand, yeah TV, one thousand dollars, Apple, the max airpro Maxes, a couple of NFL jerseys, there was a bunch of other random stuff, and I was just sitting there.
Speaker 1: Like, fuck me, Like, so, did you feel really uncomfortable because you were like the budget was five hundred, I've got you something at five hundred, and now I've got all of.
Speaker 2: This in literally in my family. And then my sister's there giving her boyfriend, like I don't know, like some new shoes that were worth a couple hundred bucks, you know what I mean, And I'm just unwrapping this huge TV and like, but that was her. Nothing else that was her, Yeah, and then would buy my parents, bought my mum like new airport and maxes as well. Like she just would buy everyone. Bought my sister a GHD hair strainer. That was just the way.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's the way that Isn't that sounds like a very extensive Christmas for her? Oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 2: She just goes that's her personality.
Speaker 1: Well. Look, the love language of gift giving lies with the gesture rather than the actual value of the gift. And I think this is something that you have sometimes had a hard time kind of navigating because I think you think it's more about the money than the gesture, But it is actually about the gesture, So it's not as materialistic or superficial as you may presume. And I guess people who do have the love language of gift giving at a young age retort to present gifts to the ones they love on special occasions. So it's kind of like this thing where it's a way to show their appreciation, show their love. Maybe you would give expensive gifts to maybe family members because it's a way to try to be accepted.
Speaker 2: Well, I it's funny you say, because I actually had a discussion with one of my partners in the past, and we were talking about like this whole gift giving thing, and I was like, I was like, well, I give gifts. So I was like, I got you when you were staying at mine and you said you were cold. I bought you thermals. I bought you like a new blanket for your side of the bed. I brought you one of those portable heaters, and I like and I said, there was like a bit of meaning behind that as well, because you said you were cold the night before, you couldn't sleep. And then she said she was like, well, that's not a gift, that's an act of service. And I was like, well, what determines the difference between them, and she goes, well, she said the price, and I was like, well, I was like okay. I was like, your thermals cost me one hundred and twenty bucks. A little bit more. I was like, the heater was like sixty, so that's two hundred bucks, and then like the blanket was like fifty dollars, so I've just spent two hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say that gift gift giving.
Speaker 2: I was like, is that now in your price? And she's like, oh, I didn't think it would cost so much, So I don't know, like, I think that people a lot of people missed through that as well.
Speaker 1: Miss true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah to gift giving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think people who do have the love language of gift giving actually see the gifts as sentimental keep sex as opposed to material objects. So even if it's like an expensive pair of headphones, I guess they kind of connect those headphones to Oh my partner gave this to me. This was a sign of love. I'm now wearing these, I'm keeping this with me, and it is sentimental. It's not just about the material object.
Speaker 2: Remember when I bumped into my ex at the coffee shop and she was going on a walk and she had her headphones because she bought them both at the same time. She actually acknowledged that she still had them. Like I was like, oh, look, so maybe you're right with that. She thought of it as like with me, that sort of connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think even if gift giving isn't your love language this Christmas season, you can still enjoy the process.
Speaker 2: Matt, I'm looking at you did the uncomfortable like, oh, oh my god, fuddy, we were talking about gift giving. So how awkward my dad was. Whenever he gets gifts, he just would just go like, do this whistle, just would go oh, I know he did every time, no matter if you liked it, no matter if he didn't like this. Yeah, like just we do a whistle and as we'll just put it down. But we were not got gifts in my family. It just wasn't And.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like learned behavior. You saw him do a whistle, You're like, I don't want to do the whistles. I'm just gonna look the other.
Speaker 2: Way, look at the ground awkwardly as I hold up a T shirt like, oh thanks, okay.
Speaker 1: Matt, let's talk about gifts to buy your partner. We're going to start with a girlfriend. I personally think that jewelry can never go wrong.
Speaker 2: So I literally was about to argue that, oh really, well you go to get the right color. You go, like, well, you think if.
Speaker 1: You're dating someone, you can work out if they're gold or silver or rose gold at a maximum?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, it's not it doesn't have to be too complex. You can find out maybe a favorite brand, so maybe it could be Tiffany and Co.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You could have a budget set, which we've spoken about budgets are important. Then you can go into Tiffany and Co. And say, hey, I have a two undred dollar budget. What can I get that's a good present?
Speaker 2: And I reckon they'll help you. There's a lot of guys doing that in Tiffany and Co. This year.
Speaker 1: I reckon, Yeah, absolutely. And you know, it doesn't have to be Tiffany and Co. It can be Pandura. It can be whatever brand your partner likes or has maybe verbalized to you that is, you know, well maybe even like if they have a necklace from somewhere, you can go back to that shop and get them something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your girlfriend will always talk about what brand she likes. If you're actually listening, fellas, like, actually put in the time to listen. I know it's hard boys to listen to everything they say, but if you just listen, you'll probably hear it.
Speaker 1: Okay, a Mecca and Sephora voucher cannot go wrong any woman out there, we would love to receive a makeup voucher. Even if you're not into makeup. You can get a fragrance, you can get whatever. So a vouch you never goes astray, Mecca and spa an easy wins.
Speaker 2: And on that. I do this. I do this pretty much every like this is just the backbone of gift giving. Look at their perfume that they have, take a photo, go in there and say can I grab this? Yea easy easy, the easy gift to get for guys, to get a girl an experience.
Speaker 1: We love an experience. We said it with parents, you can get your parents an experience together. Maybe you can have an experience with your partner.
Speaker 2: And like I said, you're literally going on the experience as well, so you can justify however much you're spending on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to add on to the whole experience thing. I feel like it would be such a good gift if you bought your partner, like to stay at a hotel for a night, Like don't you think that's so cute?
Speaker 2: Staycation?
Speaker 1: There's staycation like at a nice hotel. It's maybe two hundred and three hundred dollars depending on where you stay. And what a nice little memory that you can make together.
Speaker 2: Also something sentimental, so like a book or something that's special that you have memories together with. So jeneral I last year, we agreed that we had a budget and then we're going to get each other something sentimental. So finally, this is actually such a funny story. We agreed that every time we had a gift giving time, we'll get each other a book. So we buy each other a book, but then we also said we'll get ourselves something sentimental. We literally got each other the exact same sentimental gift. It was fucked. So the exactly so weird, exact same photo in the exact same frame, and then a ball ball with Jen and Matt written on it. Well, I got Jen and Matt's first question. She got Jen and Matt twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: WHOA, that's so treat.
Speaker 2: So we were like she I could see they were next to each other on the tree, and I was like, I reckon, we've got the same thing. And then I felt like the photo frame and I was like, we've got the same photo frame? It was fuck?
Speaker 1: Was it the same photo frame? That same photos, same color, exact same same the same.
Speaker 2: Photo, the exact same photo in the exact same photo frame.
Speaker 1: Wild, that's a bit like mind blowing?
Speaker 2: Was it was christ this morning? We were like, we had no talk of it, nothing we just said bet yourself something sentimental, pathological. Just on the same wave link there. Another one is a puppy. What do you mean? I want to?
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to dash out so bad.
Speaker 1: Do not get your partner a puppy. Matt wants a puppy, and he's projecting that.
Speaker 2: I want a dashound? Please, I want my own hint.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can imagine you walking down the street with your little sausage?
Speaker 2: Did I not say that to you last night?
Speaker 1: That's what I want, Nat said his future Matt said his future dreams encompass him walking down the street three dashounds and.
Speaker 2: Over spiced tea and a nice latte.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were talking about goal setting and that's where we went. So just just a little insight into the conversations that Matt and I have off my.
Speaker 2: Could you picture it now? Short shorts?
Speaker 1: I can picture it, but do I want to picture it?
Speaker 2: Heavy sleeveless top, the unreal iced tea, three three dashounds?
Speaker 1: You can barely take care of yourself? How are you to take care of one? There? From my three? Let's move on to boyfriend? What shall people buy their boyfriends? Matt? We need some help. What do guys want.
Speaker 2: They just want peace and quiet.
Speaker 1: He's gone morbid real quick.
Speaker 2: No cologne, that's so good.
Speaker 1: I love a cologne.
Speaker 2: And if they're a male like me, and you respect your skin and good skin care.
Speaker 1: As well, I feel like as well, like correct me if I'm wrong. Guys aren't like super picky with cologne. Like if you got them like a totally random cologne that you like and give it to them, they won't.
Speaker 2: Mind, right, Yeah, I wouldn't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just happy to get a clan. So, ladies, you can literally go to Chemis's warehouse or go to Maya or wherever you get your colognes from literally find the best cologne that you like, which is like, I mean, I don't know about you, guys, but cologne. It turns me on, like a good cologne on a man hot. So you can literally pick it out and then give it to him and then he'll be smelling delicious. It's a win win.
Speaker 2: What one would be your favorite you recommend for these girls?
Speaker 1: I love Savage. I've always loved Savage for a very long time. It's such a boy smell boy smell.
Speaker 2: I mean, well between that blue I love and the one million.
Speaker 1: One, the rob like that one, the pay they're a boy. Yeah, I do love the Channel Blue.
Speaker 2: That's fucking that's I've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love it just reminds me, I think I spoke. It just reminds me of long nights, you know, and then I smell it now I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he probably like showered yourself in it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A good one as well. Would be experiences. We've said that before. What would a guy like to do? Maybe not so like hot air ballooon, Maybe like skydiving would be fun. If they're into that, they're into that.
Speaker 1: Read the room. If they heights, don't take them skydiving.
Speaker 2: I got an ex a couple of years ago horseback riding through wineries.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's really cute. I would personally love that, Micael, if you're listening.
Speaker 2: No, don't do it. Something like that's a good experience to get them. And then like you go down to the peninsula and then I've got us an AIRBNBF voucher for something down there at the same time.
Speaker 1: You see, that's nice. I really love that.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that is good, something that they have a hobby with. So it might be like a golfer. They might be doing boxing, they might I don't play footy. You get them a new pair of boots, a new pair of like like that. Yeah, golf clubs.
Speaker 1: But if they're into a sport, maybe like if they're into tennis, maybe get them a new racket. Yeah, rackets are quite like personal though maybe not a racket a.
Speaker 2: Voucher then to go, that's life, so easy to do that.
Speaker 1: So maybe you could get them a new outfit to wear. This is WHI playing tennis.
Speaker 2: This is true, well, and that would go to the next one. Obviously, get them a new shirt, a new like let's be honest. Or your girls want to address your boyfriend, you don't we style, you don't like their fashion, they need your advice. I'm literally watching my sister Emma do that to her boyfriend right now, literally restyle the kid.
Speaker 1: He's literally restyled the kid.
Speaker 2: Literally was asking me, like, we're investigate Calvin clients from all this sort of stuff. She actually said the other day, because I give her a lot of MIC's clothes that I don't want anyone like my, like, you know, expensive ones, I say, before I will sell them, I'll take them to the market or whatever I say, do you want them? And then I actually said to her, I'm not giving you for you to give to your boyfriend, like like old Salem before, like you know what I mean, Like I could make like you know, like fifty.
Speaker 1: Barks, I could make twenty bucks, well like.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty dollars shirt, like I could make my money, you know. And then she was like, yeah, well, he need your new clothes, like can you give me some advice? So I gave her some advice and she's like, fun, I didn't realize how expensive it is. And I'm like, yeah, remember when.
Speaker 1: I did a wardrobe clear out and I gave all of my stuff to your sister. I do remember that was literally like three huge bin bags of clothes and she was like dragging them out of my apartment.
Speaker 2: She's like that, thanks, And isn't that when I got your Exits jumper not Josh's And do you still have that? Yeah, I'm sitting.
Speaker 1: Here wearing your exes and bloody Christmas jumper right now. I like it.
Speaker 2: It's a backbone of my wardrope. Actually in winter, I'm sure it is. Another one would be like if they're a gamer, maybe a new game, and you.
Speaker 1: Sure like if not everyone's into sport, some people could be into gaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't gamed in a while, so I don't know what good games are. But a new control, a new if Xbox Life still does like you have to pay, maybe up their subscription things for gym as well. Maybe get them a new wait separ at home if they're into that sort of stuff. You know, a couple of ways they can do homework at home.
Speaker 1: Training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a treadmill at home is good. Ads, if you could get them a treadmillat.
Speaker 1: Like a treadmill, a treadmill is probably a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what your budget is, but yeah, hint hints on traffic, some hints here.
Speaker 1: Trying to think of have a treadmill from that one out.
Speaker 2: And obviously don't forget sentimental. I know that guys, even if they feel rough and tough on the outside, they love a sentimental gift. Yeah, nice car, a nice ca.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, if we're talking about cards. A thing as well that I realized that a lot of people don't do as well, which I was always taught to do, was do you read the card before you open? Yeah? I think that we should set that as well. People should do that. Always read the card before you open the present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing worse than getting someone a gift and they just like go straight for the present and then they couldn't even care less about the card and you're like, okay, I'll go.
Speaker 2: And another thing I do as well is is such a cheap gag. Whenever someone gives me a card or my partner does, I open it and I just go like this to see if there's money in it and then just put it on the ground. So I should have done it with your Christmas card last night. Okay if there's nothing in this, okay.
Speaker 1: We are going to touch on gifts that you can get your friends, your work, colleagues and Secret Center next.
Speaker 2: So obviously with friends and colleagues and Chris Kringles Secret Santas, there's a price limit.
Speaker 1: There's a price limit for sure.
Speaker 2: So work within your price slim. That's the first tip, like we've said, and then I was gonna blow it up. If you're an extravagant group of friends and it's a hundred bucks, is there an invite to your Christmas? I'd like to get invited to that. But yeah, I mean, keep it easy, like, don't go over the top, don't get them assigned photo of yourself like I did. Probably notice it was.
Speaker 1: Like probably the worst gift that anyone has ever given in the history of gifts.
Speaker 2: You're getting next year, so just give me nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't want the fucking extra room getting taken up in my apartment. I'm already living in.
Speaker 2: A tight since it is, so there's a photo of me.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about gifts to get your friends now. I have a really good one. A couple of years ago, my friend Laura actually got me this really cool experience. We made cocktails together. It was like this cocktail making class. It was really fun. I think it was about an hour and a half, and then we ended up having dinner at the restaurant after really fun experience. Something that you can do. It's already bonding.
Speaker 2: And paid though to make your own drinks instead of the barn.
Speaker 1: And did I make the drinks again? Did I replicate them? No, I did it, but I enjoyed the experience of learning.
Speaker 2: I actually would love to learn how to make cocktails. I think that's a pretty cool pretty yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely something that like to put on the bucket list. And as I said, like it's a fun pre drinks, it is.
Speaker 2: It's good. Just listen to your friends. They might have mentioned something. I said that before fellows to listen to your girlfriend. They might have mentioned something and you might go, oh, yeah they want this, they need this, and it's that's perfect. Then it's got. It shows that you're listening to them and you appreciate your friendship as well. So yeah, good one.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, as we said, experiences, movie tickets, things that you can do together. I mean, as we get older, we've spoken a lot about how it's harder to make time for our friends. So I feel like doing experiences and getting experience gifts for friends is a big one. And then you can kind of like lock in time to see them and do them too. One stone, Yeah for sure. That work colleagues. What do we get our work colleagues?
Speaker 2: You probably need to listen to this one for what you're going to get me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck no.
Speaker 2: I got you the bull bull. Look, stay away from your sexy land shops. There could be a HR There could be a HR thing going on there if you're going there. So let's avoid those shops. Easy, like something easy like I mean, you could get them a candle of diffuser. You could even bake for them.
Speaker 1: Really, Oh that's cute. Yeah, we like sentimental. Like I guess for a work colleague, it doesn't need to be overly expensive. You don't want to be spending like tons of money on them, So something that's more sentimental.
Speaker 2: You could even go and just get them, Like I remember, this is what we used to get my teachers when you're at primary school. You get them a gift. My mum would fill up like a mug full of chocolates, limp balls and you just give that to the teacher.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's super cute, super easy.
Speaker 2: Lease that on their desk and.
Speaker 1: The mug says the best teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, best work colleague or something or something Christmas. Even just getting the vibes of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you know they like baking, you can get them some cooking utensils, baking utensils, you know, a candle or a diffuser can never never goes wrong.
Speaker 2: As we said before, I wouldn't overthink a work colleague.
Speaker 1: No, if you're doing a secret Santa, I have a really a bad Santa. Is it bad Santa?
Speaker 2: When you can take them. You can take the presents away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a good one. Scratcheese.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing is is when you do like a bad Santa gift, it's normally got like a ten dollar limit. But if you give someone scratchies, like ten dollars worth of scratches, then people subconsciously are like that could be worth more. So then they're always going to try and steal that. Isn't that a good one?
Speaker 2: That is actually a good one. I've never thought of it like that. That's very smart, and.
Speaker 1: I'm not actually that smart. So I just someone actually did that. When I went to a Christmas farding, I was like, great idea. I'm going to pass this on to the words your head.
Speaker 2: Everyone needs to hear this one. I love that one. That is a good one. But you know what time it is? Anna?
Speaker 1: What time is it matter?
Speaker 2: That time of the show where we ask you to ask us where our heads are at?
Speaker 1: Let's do it? Okay, So Sheridan asks, how do I split my Christmas between my family's traditions and my new partners traditions. Both families host a Christmas lunch and now I'm torn on how to spend it. Christmas look, it's always hard navigating different families, different things that are going on. I would just say, don't spend your whole Christmas driving around, but maybe just try and do both. Start at one, finish at the other.
Speaker 2: I would say, wish ever partner's family seems more reasonable, try ask them to move it a little bit more forward, so to express that, like, and I'm assuming there's other people there that have the same situation. Yeah, it's yeah, let's not be realistic, like that's what we have at my house.
Speaker 1: I think the thing about Christmas is everyone has to be super flexible because there's lots sort of moving parts from different families, and I think the main thing to do is to try and make everyone's day as comfortable and easy as possible.
Speaker 2: We've got this problem actually flaring up at my house at the moment. Dad normally was Boxing day, but Lara and Emma have both taken shifts because they're getting paid an extravagant amount of money to work, Yeah, to work, so there, so he's a little bit annoyed and we're trying to fit another time in and it's just like like this is how it is, Like we write our partners on Christmas. We've got Christmas Eve at Mum's. You know what I mean, Like that's for how it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Everyone always says it's difficult because you don't choose your family, but you have to make them happy, and you know, I think, yeah, if you're having situations like Matt sist is, where you've you've had to take the extra shift because it's double time and you just can't say, can't turn down the money, just try and make any time.
Speaker 2: Sheridan, I think the best advice is just to be transparent. Ask a family what one you could move a little bit forward, or or tell them that you have to leave one early and go to the next one, and then I guess if they're close to each other, just sussy out which one's got a better vibe and go to that one, stay at that that has.
Speaker 1: Okay. Ken asks how much should I spend on my partner's family this year? They usually buy me something quite big, but I never know how much to spend on each of them. My family usually spends fifty dollars on each person, but my partner's family spends around two hundred and fifty dollars. Matt, what do you think two.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty dollars on each family member.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, I mean a lot. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Partners as well well.
Speaker 1: I feel like you'd go in with your partner right, like you just do a joint present. I don't think there needs to be like one present from the partner in one present from here.
Speaker 2: I think that's the easiest way.
Speaker 1: I think that's the easiest solution than they just half the price. So like if it's two hundred and fifty, you end up spending one twenty five, which is double what your family spends. But I guess it's tricky, right because you don't want to be like the person who's like giving out the ship gifts and everyone's getting like two hundred if you do a GIFs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've that's a really sticky situation, I reckon. Yeah, talk to your partner and ask her if you can go in on it and it's from you both. It's truly. The family would understand though that you don't want to spend two hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I don't think they would expect it, but yeah, go in with your partner. Make it easy, Okay, guys, we hope you have an amazing Christmas. Enjoy the time that you spend with your friends and family over this holiday season. We have our New Year's Resolutions coming up next week and then we'll be back in twenty twenty three. We can't wait to hang out with you, guys. We have it so much coming up we can't wait to share with you. But until next time
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, guys, Merry Christmas.