Speaker 1: You know what I think. I think Laurie's got them right where he wants them. Yeah, you know, that's all part of the master playing. My friend sun Corp decided game three this was sad of Origin is all about. But for our if you're listening on podcasts and Spotify app, here the subscribe button for us. And if you're watching on the YouTube, let's try to get our YouTube scribes to thirty thousand. And guess what, Matthew, we've still got some mate versus mate caps still available. The decider New South Wales flew off the shelf in the first game because obviously they won. Now Queen's Land winning, so get them before game three so you can wear them to your respective pubs or if you're go into the game. Yes, but what again, that was quite a unique one. We're going to go through a bit of an overview of the game, people's performances, some potential changes in game three coming too, sun Corp. But the biggest moment, Matthew, we spoke about it during the game and yes, I think a lot of the people at home would have got the same sort of vibe that defensive set right before halftime. Queensland were on the ropes New South Wales. I think they were up twelve to eight and they had two sets and an attack and they had a repeat set a six again there Queen's Zam were out on their feet and they managed to stop New South Wales who had a lot of momentum.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And we said it at the time, we said, if Queensland stopped this, I think they run away in the second half and win it. It was such a defining moment for that game, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: It really was cool because and as we go through the run of the game, you'll see the first half sort of New South Wales dominated for the most part of that first half, with Queensland sort of hit back towards the back end. They got the Liero try. But what you got with twelve eight and all of a sudden, if New South Wales had got that, and let's remember they're taking there right on half time, they year two sets and max Plath Mons's not on the maxi Plath is defending on the edge, so you know, months is one of their primary community caters dictates how you know, like your roads defense very very well, so big opportunity there. One thing Queensland do very well boys. Queensland individually and collectively, Queensland players got a very very good sense of the dramatic. And I mean this individually and collectively is that when they're under adversity, they know exactly what they have to do, the sense that this is a really important time in the game and what they have to do under adversity to turn this game around and pull off a you know, whilst I wouldn't say miraculous victory, but like they've done in the past, you know, they thrive on it when they're under pressure and you know the chips the chips down a little bit, you can see them lift because they go, okay, we could be part of one of those great Queensland wins. So twelve eight New South Wales leading and the Queensland had you know, we dominated that first half for the most then Queensland just pulled a little bit back with the lieiro try. But if we go in there, we score. Suddenly it's eighteen and eight up we go into the sheds our tails are right up and Queensland, you know, we've just suppressed that momentum a little bit. So it's a big one, you know, that it was Queensland in the past and as that showed again tonight had the ability to turn a turn a contest with their defense with effort, and what Queensland do very very well in those situations is absorb pressure. That's what they're brilland at. Yeah, I thought that through if the tailor tape to the game, I thought, like, you know, we're going to go through New South Wales. You know, they won the Yardists for the most past in the first half of that second half in yard Is though, were absolutely smashed.
Speaker 1: You know what, you know what, you know what it comes from. It comes from whoever whoever kicks off first in origin, like they get so much of an advance. It's like I was kicked off first Queensland just you can never get out of your own forty in that first few sets of origin and you start basically I think Sam Walker kicked the first one and they catch it on their own forty and they start to dominate films. In the second half the exact same thing happened. Well, Queensland kicked yes and then we caught, we tracked them and New Southwes didn't get out of their end for the first ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Well that's it, Like I just thought throughout the game, and we'll run through a bit by bit, but I just throughout the game. I thought the New South Wales, particularly in the second half, they constantly looked indecisive and nervous with the football, like just hesitant with the football. Queensland just looked really decisive and really aggressive. That's how they looked. And so when you marry those two things up, you know, those two factors, it explains why well the Blues were steamrolled that second half. It's funny because if we go through the game, the first twenty minutes of the game, the first couple says Queensland look good, and they put they they shifted the ball to their left side, their favorite side, Queensland left side, Cantoni's side. They made a break and they led to nil. And then a really big moment was when they hitped off New South Wales. Tommy Flegler dropped that ball. And when Tommy Fletller dropped that ball and Mark you may have picked it up and went inside and Catoni scored. That sparked a little period of dominos for New South Wales. And I thought Queensland coop there. They actually looked quite rattled, Like if you look at that, go back and watch the twenty minute period after that try, they looked really intocisive and yardage Yeah, you know they didn't. They're looking like, okay, we're pushing towards the end. There was one point that Harry threw the ball to Monster and Munster sort of went there and you see him go to Harry like, you know what, what did you throw it to me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did look a little lot. I think they have such an emphasis on starting well and when when Tommy Fleggler dropped off that and they scored, it was such a against the run of play and they wanted to build pressure and you saw the next attacking set New South Wales they started to get very expansive with the footage. I think Katni actually they hit Katony threw it over the sideline. But then that was sort of a turning, like they didn't go into their shell from their New South Wales. New so Wales continued to play that style of footage. They actually played a really good attacking brand, just continuing to get it to stags on the right side early and then cooler on the left side early, not too many block shaped was really fat flat and they were getting the ball there quickly and it didn't give the Queensland edges any time to first of all identify what was coming at them or get lin speed with there.
Speaker 2: And during that PERIOCHU will win the yardage. And so consequently when New South Wales win yardage, you've got you're constantly getting Mitchell Moses and Nathan Cleary into attacking key positions and you're going to score points. And that one there, Nathan put a little grab, put a kick through, it rebounded off Munster threw it over top to Marky Mark and we're leading twelve points to two, and the sailing along. But then that try Queensland again mate, And the tailor of the tape is constantly Queensland moving the ball to their favorite side, understanding their strengths and where they can find us vulnerable. And you know, we were having all the run running and all of a suddenly Queensland got the ball. They just moved the ball to that left hammer Bee Katarni and Dylan Lucas went down. The next play, Harry scoops it up and away he goes and they score and twelve points to wait, you know, and an interesting period here months went off for the HIA. After that, Plath goes to six. Very interesting there, very the most logical play you would think at that time would be okay, here we go Reee Walsh to fall back Kaylin into six as logical. Now Billy's is recognized in the game. Hang on, the game's not it's not breaking open yet, right, I'm not. I'm not going to throw all the chips in at the moment. So instead he goes Plath at six. Okay, which looks a more risky play, but I don't think it is. He goes to six to show up yet defensively, and he decides, okay, for this next period, I'm going to go without. I'm going to play with one less creative player and just lean on, lean on Kaitlin a little bit more, to just do a little bit more. It's funny during that period, Coup I thought, in that period semi Walkers football, he really missed Monster there. I thought I thought he was absolutely in the game. I thought that was just one period, weary dips one.
Speaker 1: I think they had a bad plan. I don't think they know. No one has a plan for that. When a creative goes off, but I think they should have used max Plath up front a little bit more, playing it like an Isao type ball, playing roll up the front and then allow Sammy Walker and Kaylen Pong to combine the secondary out of the shape at the back. But a lot of the times they just send Max Plats to the short side and allow Walker and kp just to sort of combined on one over side. But they couldn't create any numbers because they were manned down a little bit. And then in defense, I think it actually they did look vulnerable a couple. This is where you said I should have taken advantage of it. They nearly took advantage of it. Once they went down that right sode. They put a when you've got a larger body who's not used to defending at that half spot where you've got a back or running your inside shoulder, you got to check him and they get out the back. They did it once they put Moses on plas outside shoulder, and they actually looked really under pressure. Marky Mark nearly scored in the corner, but Cobbo just did enough to he planted it on the line. But it was the only time they went back to that side. They looked good in that, so they probably played a little early knowing that Plath was there. They could have gone a little bit deeper, held him up more. But New South Wales didn't go back to that side and put the same thing on a little bit disheartened because Marky Mark didn't score, but I thought they could have taken a little bit better of advantage from that.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny their coop We just spoke about that, We said about the ability to absorb pressure, and so a billy at that point when Monster goes off straight away they've scored like Coeensland has scored, but he recognizes months to going off. Okay, we're under pressure here. You know, we've we've lost We've lost our one of our most important men. He's gone off the Fieldenslet and New South Wales going to recognize that. What do I do? You know, what are we going to do here? Okay, I'm not going to go all chips on the roofs. Let's absorb the pressure. Let's put Maxi Plath on bloke with aggression and energy. He's going to bring that to the football and just hold him out during this period and it worked well. Yeah, and then a funny coop just from watching Origin for so long, just that last that defensive effort at the end from Coinsland when you went to halftime, I'm sitting there just instinctively going, I just know how this is going to play out.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, you felt like there was a lot of fatigue in it, like going into that next half and even the fact that Munster had that fifteen minutes off, same as Tino to be fair, but more.
Speaker 1: So Monthster is a creative player.
Speaker 3: But like the fact that Money got fifteen minutes off and then they absorbed that pressure going into that half, like we just saw them, like we saw the points just stack up the last twenty of the game just because they like New South Wales was just shot to bits.
Speaker 1: Well you saw and you spoke about that try just before halftime where Trent Leo scored it. Max Platt did a little round the corner pass to it. But it was the story of that whole first off when and even the second half we're going to which we're going about to get into, but every time Consland looked good with the football. They were attacking in and around that space, in and around Catoni whether it was putting a block on him, making him check and they now have to chase Cadle out the back, giving it to getting it out of the back and giving it to the hammer. It'd either challenged him on the outside or in that instance, cuts him back on the inside because he's so worried about his speed. Then Harry Grant takes Dylan Lucas was one marker and Harry Grant on fifth tackle, goes down that short side. When he goes down that short side on last, that whole the whole New South Wales defensive line compresses and start chasing to where Harry went, thinking oh, he's the major threat. But they go long past to Munster who gets it out to Sammy Walker gets at the max Plath and then a nice little pass to Tramp in the air. It was they had a few really nice tries like that. Queens Land a little bit more you saw game one. They had a little bit more set moves ready to go, Like they tried to catch James Tedesco out he was in the line with their little short kicking game. They didn't have any of that. This time you didn't have any of that. They relied more on their like football instincts and almost playing a little bit of Fiji and touch football.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, they did coops Yep, they certainly did too. You know in that second half two things when you run through the tries and the second half coup and jack, it's one of two things. It's working. It's dominating yanage and working in a position for an attacking kick or working really smart sequences to attack to their favorite side to put pressure on Katoni. I mean the first drive to halftime, Yadie Dommets. Now get them, get them to an attacking kicks, send me walker high kicks as you said, they come up with and sell in schools that try at the far edge. But again, like like you said, Maxi Maxi Plath, I mean that bloke mate, it just his ability to find and he did it twice in this game to the ars try and that try. The ability to find the right play, the right pass that's going to lead to a try in a tight, difficult situation. It's just outstanding.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: They've got like they have particularly in their middle like Max Plath and like Harry gran offers it as well, but some of their mobile forward forwards. They've got great football instincts. Yeah, Like, you know, people use the term AdLib football and eyes up football and whatnot, but they've got really good Like it's like they've they've grown up almost as backs. They've their bodies developed. They can play in the forwards. But they're really creative. Like maxi Plath, his first instinct was to actually pass, but if someone just in the passing lane, and then he did a little over the top pass to Monster so then found that beautiful little kick to Selboyn Cops.
Speaker 2: Just find the past, find the man.
Speaker 1: It was a good mix because, like I just said before that game one, it was really it was like the brilliance of Billy Slater's coaching in giving them some nice set plays which they got three clean tries out of, whereas this one it was a lot of just you could tell their plan was to just let's get up there, kick, chase a lot more effort based, and our tries will come naturally.
Speaker 2: Yep. May definitely coups, definitely, yeah, Like and the second trive to half time coup was the combination of the two things we're talking about. Yardish dominants. Sammy Walker puts high kick in, it brings the new South Wales Era. They gave to the scrum and from the scrum they do a nice little trick shot. Guess which side the head to their favored left hand side, pressuring in around Catoni again, beautiful blind pass from Semi Walker, completely blind pass, so much trust there and Klein just rips around it.
Speaker 1: And it was actually when you see that, Nathan clear knew it was coming. You could see you knew it was coming because Caylen fed it and as Kalyn fed it he was wrapping around. He knew there was going to be a block inside Katni and Kala was going to get on the back. Nathan actually did the right decision because the only way really you can be passive on that play, or you can get out and shut it down before the fullback has time to actually be out the back of the block. And if you see it in slow mate, Nathan actually did that, really really got out and he put the pressure on the only thing he didn't account for was the brilliance of sam Walker because sam Walker actually Kaylen was about three or four meters out of position, but sam Walker just did this beautiful blind no look pop pass and he just gave it enough float and just popped it just enough so that Caylen could get it at full steam get on the outside of Katni stags and he puts Cell and Cobo in that left corner like it's almost Nathan would have been if you'd ask. If you asked, Nathan, I guarantee you said, like I know, I knew it was going to be man on. If I got up and got aggressive, I could shut the play down quick enough. But he just didn't account for that X fact that Sam Walker has.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's Sam. This has been the making of Sam's career mate.
Speaker 1: I think he's only played two staut Of origins like last Last Game one and now this. He and to be as experienced as he like. He looks like a veteran out there when he does, and.
Speaker 3: The crazy thing is too Like leading into this series, there's talk around him being under pressure and possibly getting moved around. I think that might have quickly been shut up.
Speaker 2: I think definitely cook Jack and the next try one thing you what you see with the next row they score off, the next kickoff. What you see with Coueensland. Right when Queensland are on top, they accelerate and they lift when tough times. Like we said before, they absorb. So this point in the game they're twenty to twelve up after Selwyn's scores from that little trick shot, so they're accelerating rather than go right, okay, let's just consolidate for a bit mate. They up the Andy and for the next one they again off, they kick off, They tack down that favorite left side again. They go there. They put a dent, Harry scoops and he goes, he goes through and then they go two past to Monster who does the long kick to Jojo for Fod who scores and it and like you said, like you said during that you know your time at the at the Melbourne Storm working with Billy. That's one of Billy's favorite plays. A two pass kick.
Speaker 1: Well, he because teams are so good at escorting. So if you get one pass like you see and someone just puts it, if you've got a great area threat like Mark and on and you put it just you just kick it there. Some aero threats can get up past the escort and still have a dent. But when you go a two pass Sam Walker and then rips it to Cam Munster, it forces I think it was the center was Tallu Kohler at the time. Yeah, it forces that edge to actually have to come up the edge on fifth tackle. They want to just stay back, stay back, almost cheat the system. And then as the kick goes up they can instantly create a wall around their winger just to protect here. But if you if you act like you going to run like that two pass, it forces Tolu to come in and up on the end of the line in case they have a run, and then Monster just puts that beautiful kick in. They did on two occasions. One they got an arrow al Tora and this time Jojo a feed a squad, But it just isolates a winger completely and because is back there on his back foot, Jojo has all the momentum he's running and it's it's almost like a soccer and it's almost like a heater in soccer. Yeah, you know, the center backs are sitting there just completely on their back foot, trying to get momentum and be aggressive to get up. But Jojo just had all the running come from outside in and just completely blindsided. It was a beautiful child.
Speaker 2: What about Bill, What about Billy's ability? Billy's ability to elevate those players like Selwyn like we can talk aboute later and Jojo like, you know, like like under him. I don't know exactly what he does and how to coach him or whether it's just information or it's belief or what it is. But my god, players it you know that get whoever he selects and takes a part on. My god, they fire.
Speaker 1: Just he just knows how to It seems like he just knows how to narrow their focus into what's important for him, you know, and get them, get them. For Selwyn, I imagine his almost his biggest obstacle and his game is himself, you know, sometimes not you know what I mean, spot. You know, there's some of those players they get in some days they're just their heads a little bit. They're focused, they're focusing on big plays and not probably you know what some of their strengths are where Billy goes. Don't worry about you know, don't worry about score on two or three trials or trying to get an intercept or shut this down. Your focus is on yardage. And you could see him and Jojo from the start, yep, they're like back carries out of their round. Particularly Selwyn like he gave Nathan Cleary sometimes like Nathan's a great defender. For a half too, he was getting up in Selwyn's face and just getting thrown off like it was greg English, like.
Speaker 2: It was it was actually what was throwing a couple of the runs earlier. Jesus was like, Jui you Sally. The world's got back into the game there for a second. Again the Marones dropped it off the kickoff again and we scored twenty six aeen. Then sixteen minutes to go again, I guess side. They go straight to that left side, targeting Cantoni and this time Catni Mate he just flies outside in. It's almost like like that's that's a defensive decision from someone. I think he was under pressure. See that he's just raced outside in collected kal and made probably lucky not to be sent got ten, but it just left you short the edge vulnerable and Hammer goes and scores and again that's it's Queensland just going You said about you know what is it that gives players confidence? It's narrowing the focus and also given them a GPS and their brain to say, right, this is what we're doing. This is we're going to take the football and in the first two games Ponger has terrorized the New South Wales left hand side defense or New South Wales right hand side defense. Sorry with containing that there by just basically just sitting himself in that sweet spot and saying to Queensland, you bring the ball to me, and it's just it's worked time and time again.
Speaker 1: Like you said, like it was a decision that was that was a blow. He hadn't jammed. I don't think you and coming outside in aggressively that in game one at all. Katoni, I know the other center. I think Critter had a few times in game one and Tollu had a few times in the first half in game two. But he hadn't been aggressive all day. He was quite passive, passive. But when you put when you get in the head of an opposition center with your attack, and he's been passive all day, just sort of trying to work together as an edge. But they put a couple of tries on him. They put Katoni on ice skate a couple of times. That's the decision he makes. He makes a bad decision trying to solve it himself. You know, it gets hits him high gets sent depending in the bin. But on top of that, him coming out of the line also put that edge under pressure, which ultimately led to Hammer being ham a scoring that try like it was just a it was a really well attacked sixty minutes that put that doubt in Catoni's head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, it did, Coops, It just yeah, he just had Calein coming at him all the time, and almost for every center. It must be it must be a nightmare the two ways.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's there's probably not one center you put there and it's an instant fix, you know. I don't think there's one place you go to.
Speaker 2: Like that's why Crichton was a big loss. Yeah, Crichton is a big loss. If I had to back any center and a big stage, you'll be able to do a job there. It'd be Stephen cricht.
Speaker 1: Because all there, like you said, literally it wasn't I reckon if we got the stats of in terms of what side of the field they attacked percentage wise Queensland, I reckon, it'd literally be seventy five that edge.
Speaker 2: All their attack, all their attack went that way, all their quality ball went that way. Let's talk about, mate, the the try harry scoops and schools to Lindsey Collins. But I I know, just can you just why does Teddy? I've thought this before. What is teddy kickoff? And and and that's one thing to kick a ball along because there's there's a lot of margin forerr for a long kickoff, but short kickoff like Teddy, Like, I'm looking at that team and they go, okay, if you're looking for a short kickoff, like, sure is Nathan.
Speaker 1: I just I understand why they did it, because I.
Speaker 2: Understand why they did it, but why did he kick it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think they wanted to catch Queen's on off by surprise and knowing that if you put Nathan there, then they then they account for the short kickoff. But you saw that that short kickoff, he didn't hit it well at all. And Teddy's not a natural kickof well he's not a natural What the hell is he doing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know, I know he probably most fullbacks and then are on now learn because the coaches make him learn so that they have a full defensive line who goes down on the kick in the actual long kickoff. Yeah, so all fullbacks like Dylan Edwards, who's not like natural kicker either he kicks off and things like that. But like you said, when you want a pinpoint short kick, you need your craftiest kickers to do that, and that's like your goalkicker, like Mitchell Moses or Nathan probably doing more well equipped.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, that's that's an acute kick, that's a that's a really different kick. So with a game on the line, would you let would you let Teddy be Like, if you've got Nathan out the end, you've got Mitchell Moses and the games on the line to kick golf from the sideline, would you throw the ball to Teddy?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think it's why the hell would you do a shit like? I just that that for me, that blew me away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that that just showed that the pressure they were under and how fatigued they were because they clearly hadn't communicated at all through their spine usually spine to get together and go we're going short. Yeah, I'll take this. But it looked like and you saw how disconnected the New so Well spine after that when they come out after that second half, in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, because they were brilliant in the first half, but that second half they came out and they just didn't fire a shot all day apart from that one try with Marky. Mark scored yep, when cobbos when he sort of skipped on the outside of Cobbo. But yeah, they just looked really discot It didn't look like they even had much ball or an opportunity to get down the other end.
Speaker 2: Let's have a little talk about the game now all over, like, you know, we'll summarize forty four to twenty four. I sort of feel that floaters in New Southes a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon forty four twenty.
Speaker 2: Four given the complete dominance when you buy coinsland in the second half, possibly a little bit for a little bile. I thought they were going to crack when they would just try a try. I said to you, cracked fifty here forty four twenty four. Yeah, look for Sam Walker, fantastic. The only time that in the game that I thought he looked under pressure a little bit was when Munster went off. You know, he's right hand man. He had to do a lot more communicating, a lot more work, and I thought at times, you know, that affected his kicking game. So and Cobbo in my best on field Powerhouse and yardage great finishing that final try scored. Nobody Blas can score that.
Speaker 3: Literally everyone in the room said, oh, that's no try. Yeah, and then it went and then you when he slowed it down, he literally it was like the ball was hanging onto his last knuckle for like the last like meter almost it just.
Speaker 1: It looked like a fast motion. It looked like he bounced it. And I remember I said to you, Jake, I bet you he finds the way to I bet yeah. He's just that kind of freaky fella. Like he's the kind of guy. He is the kind of winger where it could be a four on one and he's the last line of defense and he'll take a full field in the sets spot on. He's just an absolute summary.
Speaker 2: He just freaks like that, Max Plath said before Powerhouse. Mate energetic, aggressive, skillful, but he's got really good vision and good tactical awareness. He's a complete player. He looks he looks like exactly who he is. The kid. He's been playing football since he's been four or five years old. His father was a footballer. Imagine his grandfather had been a footballer and all he wanted to be was a football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was outstanding and I love for what I love what Harry Grant did.
Speaker 2: Harry was really creative.
Speaker 1: Particularly the first half when Munster was off, he ended up taking a lot of the reins because the spine was you could tell that Sam Walker and Kaylen were a little bit off. They didn't really have a clear set structure and for that time Harry sort of just narrowed their attack to attack to straight down the middle, used Tino, a couple other big boys boys on drop offs and it just took a little bit of the juice out of the New South Wales forward pack and you can see that in the second half that same pack came straight back out and they were really behind the fatigue level. So I think that went a long way.
Speaker 2: Kaylin was great, great, Cayln was great. That he's given a lot more at Newcastle. You see this has been, in my opinion, his finest season, not because the highlight reels or anything like that. It's just the direction he's giving the leadership and you saw that that on show in this origin series. He's been he's been exceptional.
Speaker 3: Cook.
Speaker 2: What do you think about okay changes for New South Wales. I mean there's a couple again Catoni, it's been a couple of bad performances and I thought he was lucky to Holy Spot for game two. So Crichton's fit. He goes in with McLain.
Speaker 4: Well there's there's word that Latrell could be back. Well, there you go, he's left edge, He's the left edge. Then you could go Tyler or it's Crichton.
Speaker 1: I really like what Tyler Toller did.
Speaker 2: He was made. I've written down in ok who was their best. He's the first one I've written down. In the first half mate, he's he's speeding, his power running and his toughness coming out of the yard. Each was exception.
Speaker 1: He actually gave us. He gave us a lot in terms of getting downfield, field possession and then obviously know what he does with the football. They didn't go to his edge probably a lot in terms of early ball. They went more to Catoni's edge for that early football. But I thought Tyler was really good. I think he's the kind of He's been to fullback and covered for Tommy Turbot at club Land, so I don't think he would struggle going from left to right. He can carry the ball both arms.
Speaker 2: I look at if Stephen Crichton is fit and Latrell's fit. I guess Stephen Crichton, Latroll Mitchell. If you want to beat Coeensland Sun Corpse Stadium in a decider, you need that fucking blokes with big, strong blokes with a lot of presents. There are two blokes that stand out.
Speaker 3: If they're both would you now one bloke that's been out for a while it comes back this weekend against the Dragons. If you have a couple of decent games, would you consider putting Bradman Best on the ledge the left and then Cola on the right.
Speaker 1: Or another bloke who's been at Santa Tom Trevitch.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Jeezu is a big decisions Turbos back this weak some really big decisions to make. That's it, you put this out. We'll just say this. There's going to be these very possibly a really pool of quality players you can play there. I go the first ones. I pick the three that I look at, primarily Latroll Mitchell, Stephen Crichton, Tommy Stravovich, Yeah, Cola Toller on the wing, play center, all that stuff. We know that he was very very good tonight. But if you're going to be Queensland up there, you've got to take giants. You're going to take giants as far as size and presents.
Speaker 1: I don't think the problem is with like the selections in terms of I don't think you know it's oh, this play is going to fix that or this player is going to fix that. I think it is like the mindset in the group, like they've got to it almost this is we say this about New Subwales every single year. On paper, the talent is way better than Queensland. Like you look at that side tonight, some of the players in there, they're if they're in the Queensland side, like they probably play a little bit better than they did on New Subwales side. It's got to be it's not whether you pick Latrell or whether you pick times Rowers, whether you pick Critter. They've got to get together and like they got to they got to really come up with a narrative and a story to get himself motivated, because we saw how dominant they were that first half against Couendas and like they just not playing an eighty minute performance at the moment.
Speaker 2: When you have great players around you. They coop that elevates you and it gives you belief. Like Paul Harrigan used to say, when Chief went away playing for the Kangaroos, he said, Chimpy, I'd look over molmenting and put any socks on. Game. Mate. We can't give boat today, and that's we do a great play. Chris Close said that when he was a young player and he's sitting first of Origin game and he's nervous as hell and looks an next to him and Arthur Boots is taping up his fingers. He just goes, Oh my god, we're going to the war. That's what those That's what those great, those great players do.
Speaker 1: I just don't I think we have so many great players in that side. Like if I if I was lacing up from your eyes right now, I'd look and I go, funk, I've got Nathan Cleary, James Tedesco, Isaiah They've got enough of those players in there.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But I don't think one player comes in there and fixes the whole mines. I think it's a whole team problem.
Speaker 2: I think I think there's a bit of a belief problem. I think there's a belief problem. I think that, But there's just something about Blakes like like latrell And and Tom do you know what I mean, Like the other guys that the other guys here, they're great plays, but there's just something about those two blakes, like those two that if you're looking at the team sheet Queensland and go oh fuck, okay, right, you know.
Speaker 5: Like because they've done it before, they've done it before, and they're just you know anyway, particularly particularly Tom and Latroll, Like when when like those two they're they're the kind of guys that could go in for they could play two of the three game series and when the like win the wall in Lewis medal, like they could win the whole the whole series medal.
Speaker 1: That's how good they are.
Speaker 4: Sorry, do you think it's actually up for grabs?
Speaker 3: Like, do you think there's anyone that's particularly sort of maybe Sam Walker possibly, is anyone particularly sort of locked in the you know player the series award? Like is this last game going to really like it couldn't be.
Speaker 2: Anyone's I think at the moment, Nose in Front, I think it's Kaylan and Sam at the moment.
Speaker 1: And then for New South, I would say Nathan from his game way. But and Nathan wasn't horrible tonight in the second half.
Speaker 2: He had now he struggled, he struggled forward, struggled that they couldn't get him on. I thought he was I thought he was quite the first half. I think we're playing two structured But the bottom line is that we're just getting smashed in yard.
Speaker 3: I reckon we could be looking at a winger again. I reckon Sell and Cobber personally, she has a.
Speaker 2: Big game, gags had gas. Is one too exactly?
Speaker 1: Is he won too?
Speaker 3: I think you're about to move on to this topic. So and there's a few fan questions asking this. People were asking about Appy on the bench, what tactic wise, what.
Speaker 2: What do you think they're for me? Appy? If you haven't pick Appy, you've got to start him, get him on there. For me, it was a no brainer, I said all week, I start with API chorus. Appy's another guy that's got a lot of really he's got a lot of presents, got a lot of experience. He's tough, he's creative, he's skillful, ticked all those boxes. Reese's like, Reese is a really good strong player. But coras how, he just needed in the way the game is with the Rucks would speed through the middle and that sort of stuff, Mate, like cous our is another level.
Speaker 1: Or they should have had they either that I love that, or they should have had a plan that that twenty twenty five minute mark, Appy's on and he finishes the whole game, Like Reese, you've taken the sting out of that game. But now you've you saw what Blake Brailey did when he came on for Robson in that first Like those guys are game breakers and they've got Harry as the game breaker and when a lot of fatigue comes through the middle, you see him start running and he opens up so much attack for him, like for New South Wales and Happy or Blake Brailey.
Speaker 3: Is that Yeah, I've been thinking that model is like since probably a month out, like even when they had you know, you had blokes like Breakba, Blake Brailey Fit or even Mitch Kenny. Like that model of having that first fifteen minutes you know you're having your steak and potatoes style hooker and then having that dynamic attacking flair hooker come on sort of fifteen minutes either side of the halftime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just ever think of this, boys and people who are listening to this. Oftentimes, when I think of our selections, I think about this scenario. Just imagine you're in the sheds before the game. You're nervous as hell, and what's happened. What happens to people is you're in the sheds and all of a sudden there's a siren, which means, Okay, all the coaches get out, all the physios get out. It's a two minute warning. We're going out there in two minutes. So that's the final word. I want you to think about who you want to come up. When you think about certain players right think you know there's some of the hookers are out there. Some of the guys have been talking about what do you want, like Rhys Robson, Does that a big impact? Or is opi corus hour? Which one comes up and grabs you by the arm and says, fuck, come on, let's go. Which one to you has the greater impact? And I think about that with Latrell Mitchell and Stephen Crichton. I want guys, there's certain guys that look at that that can lift you can lift the side just by their presence.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: For me, that's what I think about in really big games. In big games, I want to look at you know, my teammates and look at Blake and go yep. It's like I've said this story before. Paul Harrigan before the ninety seven Grand Final, put his hands in the middle and just said, fucking go with me, Go with me. I'm going to fucking clean house today. No one gets it off in a Grand Final and that just elevated everybody. If you're standing under the game and you look over and Latrell pulls his jersey on, you can see he's in the mood, you just go, you go wow. I remember when Joey was playing in those some of those great Blues sides, and I remember I was commentating, looked on the field and then when they ran on the field. And I'm not saying these guys had the same presence as Trail and whatnot, but the last three blokes that ran on the field with the three back, the three blokes who sort of finished the scrum, Luke, Rigotson, Van Kennedy cred fits given. And I just looked at those three blokes that combination, I went, They're not going to give a boat tonight. You know, those three blokes at that point were at the top of their game, tough players, and I just I oftentimes think about that if I'm in a shed and I'm looking around, who do I want? Who I want? Who do I want to be looking at with me? Do I want a really exciting young player who's coming through, or do I want a bloke that's been there and done it all before he's just got great presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a hell of a fucking point when you said.
Speaker 2: That, Kim Kim Murray got to start. He has to start. And look, I know a lot of people are going to go for Nola Blake, you know, and I know he's great for him. I just I'm biased. I love him as a player. I just thought I thought tonight how they used him, he was never going to have an impact. You know, they got him on there. Like I said when I was reporting from Washington, my starting my starting middles would have been Cam Murray, paynhass A Blake and make you shoot your shot, your fire a shot across their bow really early.
Speaker 1: You got to start, well, you got it, got to start with because it is so hard to get theout it you start.
Speaker 2: You start well and you start to get yarded. You suddenly Mitchell, Moses and Nathan start to get into the game early and start to find their rhythm build confidence.
Speaker 1: I also, I think Joey said it in commentary towards the end of the game as well. They put the camera on Ham. I think he's got to come into side.
Speaker 2: Still goes back for me when Dell was selected and he was in the start line, made good on him. He deserves it, but I think we governed him his first origin. It was for me. I think a really good for me. He looks like a great bench player.
Speaker 1: Because he can play, he can come. You put him in the middle if you want, Santa like. He's a lot more mobile for a back roller than then putting Homolo on the.
Speaker 2: Bend through the game with his attack. I mean, they've got in there because he's such a dangerous to taking player. But they never set anything up for him. There was once in the second half Nathan sort of didn't look past and bush and went through Munster and you know, really made a serious break, But they really set nothing up for him.
Speaker 1: They don't when they play a little bit like Penrith, where they just sort of use their back rolls on drop offs and for set up plays. They don't give their back rolls really clean attacking opportunities. Hudson had to go looking for it a couple of times. And Hudson, because he roams everywhere, he had a couple of really nice little half line breaks and whatnot, but they weren't really off a lot of shape. It was just Hudson being Hudson because he kind of does his own thing. But particularly Game one, when and when Deal was there tonight, they just kind of they'll give them a little bit of early ball or just drop them off just to get to a line. Yeah, when you new so Well's biggest strength as their back row, like that is one thing of the last few years that we've had one up over Queensland. But they need to use the more like on actual shape on actually dig into the line, get in a one on one with a monster of Sam Walker. Like Sam Walker's not a big guy, but they're just sort of getting huts in there early. Yes, you can use him early, but also take him into the line and get him attack an inside and outside shoulder of Sammy Walker.
Speaker 2: I think going up there and Jack Kreman from wrong. I think we're going to go up to Coinsland in the decider and knock him over. We need tough, experienced players who've done it before. Leam Martin, Patrol Mitchell is Fit, Stephen Crichton, OPI Corus sound on the nine. That really starts to take form. If you're going to beat them up there, boys, you fucking need experience. You need experience, and you need toughness, and you need presents. I love it three to one. My three points case is selling Cobber to two.
Speaker 1: I turned my mic down. I did see if you had your headphones on.
Speaker 2: Thoughtful, thoughtful so and Coba three, Semi Walker, well done, semi two and one point Harry Harry Grant, Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I got sell On Cobb. I think he's everyone three point. I had Harry Houdini two and I actually had the Plaith Dog was one.
Speaker 2: My word, he's a tremendous jackie.
Speaker 1: You got a three two one for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go sell In one, seam Walker two and yeah. One was somewhere between monster and Plath.
Speaker 2: Okay, beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Sounds good to see. Daddy. You got to go to sleep because you have.
Speaker 2: You've got no idea.
Speaker 1: Mate. Every time you'dn't, I'd pick up the conversation you too. I'd look over and you get angry at me, sometimes not paying attention, and you'd have your headed rest back and you just have a little micro sleep.
Speaker 2: When the game started, I fell asleep. When they blue kickoff, I fell asleep and then had to wake up. For first ten minutes of the game, I was just rattled watching going Oh. Then I finally went over and dragged me, got my fieldscape papers and started to make some notes. He was like, man, I'm a warrior. I love you, and a warrior love you.
Speaker 1: Oh it's back, set back, so back,