Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson that I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mummer TV, the financial literacy platform covering like tiptoed over that financial literacy platform. It's a tongue twister, right, YouTube podcasts, Instagram threads, and books like our upcoming book very exciting.
Speaker 2: We have been a book.
Speaker 1: That's right, twelve Months of Financial Freedom. It is coming up in September. If you want to pre order a copy, you can do so online now put a link in the show notes as well. But we're very excited for that one to be published in September with Alan and Unwin. Twelve Months to Financial Freedom. On the back, there's a little picture of us, isn't there?
Speaker 2: Oh Calvin Client shoot, oh yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great fun. It's worth it just for that picture anyway. Hello, Canna, how are you? Yeah, I'm good. I'm a bit wary about today budgets.
Speaker 2: Yes, how's your budget looking?
Speaker 1: It's actually looking good sounded convincing. No, it's today isn't about how to make a budget, right, We're going to talk about why they don't work, which which sounds like we're going to be really negative, right, But we're going to look at some of the common kind of problems with a budget, because I think most people have had a crack at setting a budget, a household budget, you know roughly kind of what you're what you're earning, and what you're spending. But something doesn't work, the wheels fall off, it gets forgotten, you blow it out, blow it away, I don't know whatever. Yeah, yeah, anyway, it doesn't work. So we're going to fix it today. This isn't about creating the budget in the first place. It's about fixing what isn't working. Is that fair? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that's reasonable.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right? Why do so many people feel like their budget just doesn't actually work?
Speaker 2: So this is the problem. You know, they look great on paper, your budget. You know you've done written everything down, maybe even do as I recommend, which is checking your transactions, but they don't actually reflect the reality of your life. You know, they don't account for those irregular expenses, the price increases that we're experiencing on a almost daily basis, the natural human behavior, the habits that we might have, and the reality of our lives, and also the spontaneity that comes as well, when special opportunities come out of the blue that we go, wow, I want to do that. That's great, let's jump on that. Would it be a weekend away or constant tickets or something like that?
Speaker 1: Is it then, is it the numbers aren't working in a budget or is it the behavior that's behind the budget? Where is the fault or is it you're going to say, it's a bit of both.
Speaker 2: You know me too well, Yes, so of course the numbers have got to be correct, you know, then it's got to add up. But what's more important, though is the behavior, but also the attitude as to whether your budget's actually going to work for you, like, you know, understanding emotional spending, understanding the lifestyle creep, you know, the lack of consistency and checking your budget and transactions. You know, you can't out budget behavior or a toxic habit. You've got to sort of work with it and have that awareness and build certain steps around it so that you're in control.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then when we are talking about the numbers. You kind of alluded to this before, about the fact that how you're not not prepared if something good, like a big opportunity comes up. Do people make their budgets too strict? Are they just kind of stripping everything out and kind of it's like a best case scenario that this is what the budget is going to be. But there is a little unspoken assumption that as long as nothing goes wrong and prices don't ever go up and we never have to pay for anything that we haven't actually accounted for here. Or is it that they get a bit too optimistic about the financial outlook or is it just something super broad that it's not a budget built for real life.
Speaker 2: Well, to answer your question, you're right, it is a bit of everything. You know, a budget that's too strict, and I've seen people budget to the nearest sense like that is a fast way to fail. It's really they do that, yes, and I feel yes, it's kind of I was quite shocked when I do come across the sea this to the point like to the cent, like five cents. So the problem with that is is obviously extremely unrealistic. There is going there are too many price fluctuations, and it is going to make you feel really crap about the time that you have spent and invested during the budget because it's going to fall apart very very quickly, and can also add to an element of self destruction when your budget is just way too strict and rigid. Then there's, of course the other end of the spectrum where it's way too optimistic. You know, it's you know, people fall short of their goals because it wasn't ever really an honest budget in the first place. You know, it's where the budget becomes almost it sets you up for failure. I like to look at budgeting as a playground, like a kid's playground. Have you heard this analogy before? I haven't not an analogy for a while.
Speaker 1: It's been far too long since one of your analogies, and I look forward to seeing how you make this one work.
Speaker 2: Okay, So my budget is not a street budget, it has it. I like think of my budget as spending boundaries.
Speaker 1: Okay, and where's the playgrounds? The playground within the boundaries a fence.
Speaker 2: You can play in the boundary. So think about a kid's playground at the park. Most playgrounds have a fence around it. You've got to lift up the latch to walk into the and once the children are in there, it's pretty safe. The ground foam for you. If they fall, they're not they're less like. I mean, yes, you can still injure yourself, but you know, it's the damage is kind of quarrente tanged to the playground. There's lots of equipment going on there. You can do lots of different things, but you are relatively safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you could still get bald over by the swings, or.
Speaker 2: You could, but the swing is made with something that's not like metal and is going to you know.
Speaker 1: You could also rock it down the slide and take past a takeout a kid that's running past. At the same time, do.
Speaker 2: We have some unresolved child issues childhood? Sorry, I feel like something happened to you as a child that we need to explore here. But my point is you can have fun within the playground. You know, you can socialize, you can run, you can swing, you can jump, you can hop, you can swing from the monkey bars. You're not going to get into too much trouble. And that's the same concept as a budget that makes sense. So for example, I have an amount to spend at the supermarket. I can spend less if I want, but I can go up to that threshold. As long as I don't go beyond that threshold, I am safe. And the amount of people I have met, and I do so much coaching around this with you, one on one with people to turn up to a supermarket just don't actually have a threshold. And that's the whole point of having a reasonable, realistic threshold. So I don't just go and go, well, I'm going to buy. I've got a threshold of one hundred dollars for the week for a family of five. It's a realistic threshold, boundary, limit playground that reflects the reality of what I need to feed five people seven nights, seven days a week. And that's what I stick to. And so it doesn't I don't ever feel pressure or tension to stick to that because I've got it's safe, it's realistic. That doesn't mean I've got a massive buffer, like I've got the same stress and pressure as everybody else. But it just keeps me on track.
Speaker 1: Is that then, really the biggest mistake that people make then that the budget almost feels like a punishment that it is too restrictive. I really like, I know I was making fun of you. That is my default setting. But the playground analogy actually works. And in the second part of this episode, after we take a quick break, we might talk about how to kind of set up that playground structure, because I think that's kind of cool. But is it about If you set your budget too tight, too extreme, you are setting yourself up to fail definitely.
Speaker 2: And this is where to answer your question. This is where that respect of a budget because when you see that, you're when you have a budget, and it's actually the cash flow sys really that helps make a budget work for you and actually stick to it. But when you get through a pay cycle, going wow, I got through my whole entire pay cycle without running out of money or having to lean on a credit card or pinch from a redraw facility or an offset account or some savings that was email for something else, you go, wow, I've actually correctly rationed my money out through the pay cycle. It feels really good, and you start to have this profound respect of your cash flow and your budget. You don't want to mess with it because you're just creating unnecessary stress in your life. When you disrespect it. And you know, as I said, I've coached so many people around this and they become like fiercely protective of their budget. And they a will say to me, because I've seen how much my financial situation has transformed simply by being better at managing my money and cash flow, I don't want anything to mess with it and jeopardize how good it makes me feel. And this is where the endorphins come in of you know, the dopamine of going Wow, I like, I've got money in my account, I met that bill, that bill's not overdue, that you know, that bill came in and I wasn't stressed or worried about where I'm going to find that money because it's already ready to go in my other special account, which we'll talk about in a second. It's very empowering, and you just you it takes away also that I guess that erratic, spontaneous, you know, splurge spending that we can do if we don't actually have a budget that we respect.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you one quick other question, And I don't want to be too negative, but I think I represent a lot of people that have battle with budgets in the past. Where all of a sudden, you just it becomes a drag and you don't get to that point that you've just said where you suddenly feel the benefits of the budget. But tracking spending, and you've talked about this a bit in the past about checking in with your budget kind of every week and checking to make sure that you're spending aligned with what you have forecast, it feels like there is a danger in trying to track everything perfectly. Yes, and it feels like it can become a drag.
Speaker 2: Well, it's time consuming, so of course it feels like a drag. But also I don't really I'm not really a fan of tracking. I'm a fan of reviewing, but not tracking where you literally write in an Excel spreadsheet or a journal or a app every time you spend money, because it's not empowering at all. The horses already bolted. You're just putting in there that you just spend one hundred and fifty dollars on a new pair of shoes that you didn't really need. Does that make you feel good? No, makes you feel really crap and embarrassed and a shame that you've blown your budget again. So that's why I don't really like it. There are occasions, though, where I do think it's healthy, particularly if someone's trying to hone in on toxic habits and really understand perhaps what their triggers are behind, you know, squandalous spending, impulse spending, perhaps gambling or you know, but purchasing alcohol something like that. That can sometimes really help create that awareness so that you know what to do to then break that habit down. But no, I don't you know. I have a system where we check it on a two times a week. I check the family budget and because it's two times per week, I'm only having to go back, you know, maximum of five days, so it's really quick and easy to do. I can do it on my phone, sitting on the bus, on the train, you know, in the school pickup line.
Speaker 1: This is why I liked using a platform that we have talked about previously and they you might have heard ads for it Socket Smith on this podcast earlier in this year, because it took some of the kind of the grunt work out of having to do it, and so it's just good for visibility. You want to know how much you're spending on groceries in a week, just groups them together and all of a sudden, Okay, all right, that's it. That's what I need to then set as my target or my budget for the future. So there are platforms and apps and things that can help manage that process to make that a little bit easier.
Speaker 2: And I have to say this, once you've done the bulk of your budget, it actually you've done it for that will serve you for a long period of time, particularly if you are reviewing and on a regular basis. But that is the blueprint you can use. And also you can put your goals into your budgets so that you prioritize those goals actually happening rather than just thinking about them and talking about them.
Speaker 1: All right, super fast break on the other side, how to fix a broken budget? Can I were talking today about budgets, why you'reudget isn't working? And then how to fix it? Assume that I have a broken budget, please, I know that's going to really stretch your imagination. How do I fix it?
Speaker 2: So the first thing I would recommend you do is obviously print off it's not the planet. I'm sorry, We'll print off. Well, maybe if you can have maybe on separate screens your transactions you can see the truth and reality of what things actually cost, how much they've increased, and where the potential wastage is a lot of people will do a budget at with numbers over their own head, and that's where they really miss the detail and they convince themselves, at including myself, but that we spend less than what we really do. And it's not until you can see the numbers in black and white, because you can't hide. And of course, if you're using cash, you're also got to be very careful of that because they may not necessarily be captured in those transactions.
Speaker 1: You Know, what I find is the biggest stitch up with the budget Amazon and things, because all of a sudden you go into your transactions and there's a whole bunch of things from Amazon. Okay, all right. Some of those are technically within groceries. Some of those are maybe clothes, some of those are household items, some are sports, some are for school things. And it's just like it's so nondescript, all right, And as a result, there's just this big hazy blur in my budget.
Speaker 2: Perhaps we need to put in that case, because I'm a solutions person, a line in your budget that's purely for Amazon purchases, So you have, for example, a two hundred dollars per month Amazon allowance, because then it's you know where the leakage is or where the money goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and you will actually then see probably that would then come off say the clothing spend or the grocery spend or something, because it's and at least then it's still all accounted for, right.
Speaker 2: And perhaps you say, well, I'm going to you know, maximize or not max I'm going to cap myself at this level on groceries of part of the overall Amazon spend. So you might have two hundred dollar per month Amazon budget, but then seventy doll per month is for groceries within that, yes, within that turned it all limits.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, asking for a friend, how many accounts am I allowed to have as part of a budget, because okay, I'm not asking for a friend, I'm asking for me. Well really, oh subtle, wasn't it? Look this was long ago and early in the podcast we used to talk about how many accounts I have, which was twenty six I think twenty six accounts, and that's those those are long gone. That's that's the old Michael. But a simple budget is a visible budget, and twenty six accounts is not visible. You can't see it all at once, you can't compare, you can't kind of track everything. What's the ideal number here?
Speaker 2: Look, it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve.
Speaker 1: But so nineteen or so now, the two.
Speaker 2: Most important accounts are what your everyday account and then what I call your financial float account. You don't those the They do eighty percent of the heavy lifting for you in the cash flow mechanics, helping you stick to a budget, also helping make sure that you're prepared for those all those irregular ones that catch you by surprise or that we conveniently forgot about.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So the answer is too. But then you can give You can have other accounts, but you must give those accounts a job. For example, you have a holiday savings account, you have a financial account, which perhaps is where you start saving whilst you're learning about where you want to invest. Perhaps you have an emergency savings account. So you can have additional accounts. Obviously, it's like juggling balls. You don't want too many. You want to keep make sure that you can view them all within the one screen ideally, and.
Speaker 1: They all need a really clearly defined purpose and.
Speaker 2: Name absolutely, and everything should be nicknamed so that you can see how you're tracking within a matter of seconds.
Speaker 1: Okay, what role does automation play in all of this, because I suspect I'm not alone in going The biggest barrier I have here is time. I just don't have the time to go through everything and to make sure that everything is going where it needs to be. So if you tell me that automation is great, then I'm there.
Speaker 2: Automation is great, done and I have, but you've got to also be careful with automation. There's a bit of a lazy man's trap within automation.
Speaker 1: Go on for this.
Speaker 2: Automation is great physical thing. It's like direct debits, you know, And I don't own a credit card. Well technically I do have a credit card, but that's it's linked to a business account for Tom's business as an emergency, and I be honest, I don't even know if I've activated it. Sits with my passport. But other than that, I don't have a credit card. Everything is on direct debit, which is an element of automation. So I don't need to worry about paying any bills. It automatically comes out of our family everyday living account. Also, I have extra mortgage repayments to help pay off our home loan, and that also is a sense of automation because it's a separate, regular extra mortgage repayment. There's also an extra savings autom of putting money away for a renovation as well, so there are automation is great. So instead of thinking about it, I've removed that friction. I just is just done automatically. And I recommend if you're going to do automation, try and get it as close to your payday as possible, within a couple of days, so that it comes out the money's taken out before you can actually spend it. It is good. The only problem is, and you're only going to fall victim to this is if you don't review your budget because things like pay rises, you know, new jobs, debts being paid off where those direct debits are now finished because they've paid off that debt, you can then be subjects to the lifestyle creep when that money can get spend elsewhere. So reviewing it on a regular base and going wow, I've paid off all my buy now pay later. I now have a spare hundred dollars per month. You want to make sure that then you shift that automation and give that money a job somewhere else. So that's why it's important that regular check in as to how the cash flow is going, not the budget. The cash flow is really really important. And the thing about a budget is it's about helping you when things go wrong. You know, budgets. It's great when everything's perfect, everything's consistent, everything's very simple. But that's not what our world looks like anymore. Our world is increasingly expensive. We're time poor, we're frustrated. There are a lot of challenges and blocks and issues around us that we're all trying to navigate at the same time, as well as all the other pressures of life and family and jobs and relationships and health. So your budget is there to support you, like when things are challenging, it's there to catch you so that you don't fall.
Speaker 1: Just like that playground, you brought it back to the playground. That is possibly your greatest analogy effort ever. You started and then you finished on this epic sermon and brought it back to the playground.
Speaker 2: Well, I probably might undo the completion of this because I have a quote by It's often attributed to Marilyn Monroe. Okay, okay, and it makes this is how I feel about budgets. So you know that famous saying if you can't handle me, I say this to Tom all the time. If you can't addle me on my worst day, you're sure as hell don't deserve me on my best. And I think this really, I know you look at going can I you are to mental? Poor Tom? How does he put up with me? But think about it like this applies to your budget as well. You know you don't need a perfect budget. You need something that works for you when you are tired, you are about to give up, You are emotional, and life is increasingly expensive and moving way too fast. That's where your budget has got your back. So there you go, my Marilyn Monroe. Should I just stuck to the playground?
Speaker 1: I think it works. I'm just like Marilyn Monroe and children's playgrounds and not kind of I don't come together.
Speaker 2: I really have to link that route, but they don't.
Speaker 1: Come together super easily. But I take the point and as a very good place to finish Kenna. If we want more words of wisdom and more less man course, more analogy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, that's the that's my mindset, attitude towards the budget I think of it. I think of it from a practical point of view, as a mindset. It's a playground. It's a playground with boundaries. I can play within the boundaries. Just don't go out of the boundaries with you know, my actual attitude. You know, I really respect it because it keeps us out of trouble. It keeps us not spending money that we don't have, which is something that I think a lot of people do challenge struggle with at times.
Speaker 1: All Right, if we want more info from you and find you on Instagram, best Place, Sugar Mama dot tv okay, and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news that you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Don't forget our book coming out in September twelve months to Financial Free Them available for pre order now anywhere where you can pre order books. Thank you for your company. Join us again next week