Speaker 1: Apod Shape Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum Podcast. We are on the downhill slide towards the Christmas holidays never ending some holidays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well for you, you've got an extended we always talk about this. I only got a couple of weeks ago. We've got a big few weeks in the household of Grazie. Wrapping up being a primary school child. Yeah, and moving on to the next stage.
Speaker 1: Oh, Rachel, I remember that last day of primary school. Make sure you take sunglasses because where waterproovement scara. It's very emotional. I remember actually it was like they had an assembly or there was some sort of ceremony, and then at the end of that, all the year five stand down to wave goodbye to them, and they all walk out and it's like this big thing, and then the kids are crying and you're crying.
Speaker 2: I remember speaking on this podcast way back when on the first day that I dropped her over there, and I remember clearly sitting here with you and you're going I was absolutely normal, and I remember walking now, just to give you a brief of where we are, like my house is at the back of the school, so we are on the cul de sac at the back of the school, so I'm very close, just to give you proximity, like I'm very close. I've walked her over to prep, I've waited you see them into class. You do all that, Katie. I remember walking across that oval, and I remember telling you I felt like someone was like literally stretching my umbilical cord to this kid so hard that I was so sad, and I was laughing about the teacher that year had made all the parents like a little pack with like a little tea and a little note saying go home and have a cup of tea and just enjoy some peace and quiet, and like you know, everything will be okay in the chart and your child will be okay. I remember all this like it was just yesterday, and I remember getting home. I remember sitting down and then the silence just hit me. And when I say silence, I still obviously had Elsie, but it was just like all of a sudden, I just got so overwhelmed and I just sat there and bawled my eyes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember very vividly the girls starting school because they started school on the same day obviously twins. I remember going to the gym afterwards, and there was these group of girls that I went to the gym with and they were all putting their little one into the crap, and I remember feeling really sad about it because I was like, I don't have another one going and they were looking at me like jealous. You were wrapping up with no kids. But I remember feeling like quite sad about it. I was like, might have both gone.
Speaker 2: I literally remember getting in the I think you get your shit together. I just get out of here. I was trying to stay home so I could be close proximity if she needed me again. She didn't.
Speaker 1: Just on that. Are you living at the back of the school. Isn't it baffling the amount of times you've been late? But yeah, you literally live behind the school.
Speaker 2: In your head, logistically you think, oh god, we live so close. All the time in the world, I've got all the time in the world. I'm going to be early every day, Like this is crazy. It actually works against you because you think, then it's only going to take you like thirty seconds to get across the oval to get your child to school. Then it doesn't. By the time you've bumped into twenty five other parents, Yeah, and another three crying kids that don't want to go to class and you've tried to resolve that it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: No, someone's actual kit. You gotta go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or the other day, hey Mum such and such, I get a phone call from the office. Hey mom, such and such as left their lunch at home. Are you at home? Can you just pop over make them some lunch and just pop it over the fence. Sure, I'm sitting at home waiting for your call. No, I'm not home. And then I at that moment, I was like, can't you just take her to the touch Shop and I'll pay for it? And she was like, oh okay, yeah, okay, you've got free run at touch shop. I was like, no, I didn't say free run. I said it just kicks up a sausage rolls in hungry. Anyway, we sorted that ship fight out. That was on me. That was my fault. Take free run in the Touch shop, wouldn'n idiot? Am I a bad mum for upping my dance game? Yeah? I know. Obviously leading into this talking a lot about wrapping up the year, wrapping up my child's primary school years, Like we're talking about wrapping up another thing, wrapped up that you no longer have to do, but it still fills my entire being of a existence for the year of pick up and drop up dance has wrapped up dance concert was a success, done done.
Speaker 1: Isn't there a real extense of achievement when you know that was like, I remember the frantic last minute being in the car on the way to the concert with the fucking needle and cotton sewing shit together, and then everything has to go in a separate itemized dance bag.
Speaker 2: Let's just skip back a few years either, first year that she started dancing with impact, and I remember laughing to you, going, oh no, I just took the outfits that I was given for her. I just took it in the bags that I was giving them in. I didn't undo it, I didn't try it on, I didn't iron it, I didn't do any of that. I just literally put the stuff back into the plastic container like they tell us to label the bag only, and took her along and just was like hope for the best. Now fast forward.
Speaker 1: Didn't you take the costumes in a wool word?
Speaker 2: Willie stick back no intention of being a long term dance mom. I thought it was just going to be like a term, and then I'd be out boards always do a term, and so I'd said, yeah, sure you can do dance fast forward. Here I am in quick change. This podcast is more just a laugh. So anyone that possibly listens to it, that is another dance mom in the particular group that we hang out with. This is all I thank you to you guys, because you've created this. You've all taught me how to do what I do now. But yesterday was like this particular dance concert, Katie was like next level, Like I was on fire.
Speaker 1: Are you now one of those people Like you've got a pocket full of bobby pins? Yeah, you've got tape? Yeah, ship coming out of everywhere.
Speaker 2: I started following the lead of another particular dance mom who's like insane dance mom. Right, she has everything covered. She's like the Mary Poppins. She has the bum bag and you literally she has everything in there. Yeah, she's got like anitle and thread attached to her shirt. Yeah, just waiting. Yeah, like was that it happened? No, I didn't get I can't so steal Katie. This is not a fucking new fact for you, why did you use a stapler? I just go, I'm not doing exactly, so it's one or the other who needs a needle and cop when you got stapler. Yeah, so this particular mum learnt a lot from her. I couldn't do the bum bag though this year because I don't even know where I put it from last year. So fast forward, I have lots of pockets, got it all going on. That's fine. By the end of the day yesterday I had like pins and they're stuck to my shirt so that I can just literally put it onto kids as they go. The quick change was so quick that even we were like holy like we were digging deep, like we almost missed a few things. I got in trouble from the dance teacher because Gracie went out to do a solo without long socks on and a belt that she was meant to have on, which I was screaming at my child, going you need and she was like no, I don't. I was like no, because you know nothing, no, no, And then you get in trouble and then the teacher comes out Grace, he didn't have about on, didn't have socks on. We really need that.
Speaker 1: I was like you feel really bad about it yourself.
Speaker 2: I did. I was like, Okay, well now I'm saying for the second show you watch me, I'm going to be like, it's going to be full redemption.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be better.
Speaker 2: It's going to be take me better, I'm going to be better. The musical theater alone, Katie had to have a full face of different makeup and you've only got three songs to do it with about eight kids to do it for changing them and do their makeup and put two wigs on full.
Speaker 1: Weeks about six minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about six minutes. I was sweating. Yeah, but I was on fire. I was actually laughing at myself because I think there will be a couple of other moms. I don't know these other mums. They were just really lovely and volunteering too. But I was like, yeah, no, you don't need to be in here. We got this cupboard. I've got the ship nice and tight.
Speaker 1: Have you come across any like old Rachel's, Like any mums that are maybe new to the game that are coming with their kids dance costume in a Woolly's carrier bag, Like, have you come across any of the old yews.
Speaker 2: Yet Yeah, yeah, yeah I do. But I don't tend to go in that room anymore because that's down the others. So we have like an amateur, I just go No, that's not for me. I handle shit really well under pressure, So that's why I stay in that little space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've grown not there anymore, you know, one of them.
Speaker 2: And we've got the Duffel and we've got like Graceie did fourteen routines yesterday or like for the concept fourteen routines.
Speaker 1: I feel like once you're one of those parents that have bought the Duffel bag, that's it.
Speaker 2: You're fully pro.
Speaker 1: You're a full professional, committed, you committed.
Speaker 2: All in all went really well. I up my game, even had a cast and cruise sh I bought my T shirt.
Speaker 1: And have you given yourself like a title? Have you given title?
Speaker 2: I think my behavior?
Speaker 1: Yes, she quick change officer, something like that, quick change manager.
Speaker 2: No, we can't have manager. I'm just a rookie. Still, there's still so much to like.
Speaker 1: You know, you're fully pro. I'm clips on your T shirt.
Speaker 2: I was in but get this. I was driving there and the back of the shirt was like, you know, the impact performing Arts, Cast and Crewe twenty twenty four and Gracie. She was like, I can't believe you bought a T shirt. Mom was like, well, at list, I don't have to trash my own T shirt and it's just for today and it's a bit of fun and I get to be a part.
Speaker 1: Of your team and makes me feel professional.
Speaker 2: I'm a part of this. And she goes, but you're not casting crew, are you? And I was like, excuse me, excuse but you're not. You're not Castle Crue your crew. I was like, well, no, I'm your crew and she was like, well you're not, y'are my mom. So you know what it did. We pulled up at the next seat of lights and in my car I have Nickos in the I don't know why I have Nickos in my center console. I took my T shirt off at the line it's just sitting there and my bro, please don't do this at home. It's not safe. And then I got my neckro out marked off cast and crew and then wrote mum, put it back on T shirt, said there you go. You better in back the booming arts mum And she was like, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: Did you pop your head? Around into the room of the people that don't do it very well, and just like, did you go in any way like I used to be, like you look at me now, look at me around in your T shirt.
Speaker 2: As soon as I walked in, there was a few of those mums that looked at me and was like you put a T shirt. And I was like, yeah, no, I'm going a whole hog this time. If I'm in, I'm all in.