Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, October eighteen.
Speaker 2: Nine.
Speaker 1: Entertainment has a systemic cultural issue with abuse of power and authority, bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment. That's according to a review commissioned by the organization itself, But there are no findings about individual incidents or allegations, leading to fears nobody will be held accountable. You can read all the detail right now at the Australian dot com. A free lunch for every school kid sounds great, but it comes with a one point four billion dollar price tag and it's turning up the heat in a Queensland election campaign. Today, our reporter joins us from a famous pub with a big yarn about the man who wants to be premiere.
Speaker 2: What's your name, l Amelia? And what's your favorite thing to have for lunch?
Speaker 1: This is Queensland's Labor Premier, Stephen Miles, interviewing some preschoolers.
Speaker 3: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Amelia likes fruit, Azaia likes nuggets, and Miles, who's desperately hoping to keep labor alive in the upcoming election, is hoping their moms and dads like free lunches. That's his big policy announcement of the week and it's captivated parents. It's also led us on a deep dive into Miles's TikTok and it turns out lunch is a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a theme, all right.
Speaker 1: Sandwich there's a stack of tiktoks where Myles stands in his kitchen wearing a series of t shirts tight enough to show off his gums. Making sandwiches sometimes a come needed by his daughter.
Speaker 4: Lots of announcements, including one I'm really excited in that, which.
Speaker 1: Is a massive There's chopping and shredding and buttering. It's quite gripping. He's slicing a tomato. He's what putting the tomato strata on the bread and then pouring salt on it. Geez, salami, raw onion.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: He really loves sandwiches.
Speaker 4: He loves making a Sunday sandwich with his ten year old daughter Brady. I think it's part of his kind of daggy dad stick. He's doing it a little bit more convincingly than Scott Morrison did I think, Honey.
Speaker 1: This is one of the Australian's gun reporters. Sarah Elks who's part of our team covering Queensland politics.
Speaker 4: And then he's supercharged that at the ALP campaign launch on Sunday when he said that Queensland Labor, if re elected, would provide a free school lunch for every kid between prep and year six, so all of primary school, every day.
Speaker 1: We caught her in the middle of a busy day on the campaign trail and she'd just taken her first sip of a beer that looked icy and pretty delicious.
Speaker 4: Just excuse my beer, it's really hot.
Speaker 2: It's hot.
Speaker 4: I got up at four am to get on the plane.
Speaker 1: Sarah's got some experience with school lunches as a real life issue as well as a policy.
Speaker 4: Debate, and as a new school mum myself, I can say that I don't love making school lunches, but I also understand that.
Speaker 1: It's really tricky for school touch shops.
Speaker 4: Ours has one paid staff member and the rest rely on volunteers. Sometimes it's really tricky to find volunteers. And there's not been a huge amount of detail from Stephen Mars and Labor about exactly how he's going to roll out these school lunches to every single kid, particularly in regional and rural areas where some schools don't even have a touch shop. But I think it goes to show that labor is really focusing on cost of living relief.
Speaker 1: There's been a bit of scoffing about the free lunch policy, in particular it's one point four billion dollar price tag. What's your take on how ordinary Queenslanders will receive this policy?
Speaker 4: From talking to my small focus group of ordinary Queenslanders, you know, friends and family, I think that there is some acceptance that the government is trying to relieve cost of living pressures and everyone is doing it a little bit tough, but I think they're really taking a leaf out of say the pmc's book. The Queensland Parents and Citizens Association released a statement to say thank you for recognizing that cost of living is a problem, but we would prefer the money being spent on the cost of school expenses, stationery and uniforms and excursions and all that kind of thing. So I think that there is skepticism and also I think the problem with these kind of measures with a third term government is people might be happy to accept them, but it may not be enough to win over their votes when there's such a strong it's time factor that's kind of ricocheting through the electorate.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Sarah's been breaking big yarns about David Chrisfuli's past. After the break what he says about his record.
Speaker 2: In business.
Speaker 1: For as life on a campaign trail can be hard going. The leaders load you onto buses, but you don't get told where you're going or what you're doing until you arrive. It's political party's way of avoiding nasty surprises like protesters showing up. But it makes for long days for journos. So where have you been today?
Speaker 4: We flew from Brisbane to Townsville and we did a press conference outside the Youth Detention Center in Townsville, and then we drove up the road to Ingham, which is David chrystop philliess hometown, and we went to the tennis club. He's now gone to his favorite deli and we're just having a lunch in allegedly the pub that Slim Dusty wrote the song Pub with No Beer About a Lot of Chair of Little Place is a pub with no beer, although it has beer now, which is definitely a plus. You're on the David Christifully come Back tour now in his home town of Ingham, Sarah, and you've been digging into his past what he did after losing his seat in the Queensland Parliament a few years back. David chrysip Fully lost his seat Munding Borough, which is a Townspall seat in twenty fifteen when the Newman government was swept out of power. When he found himself without a seat, he looked to the private sector for employment. The first thing he did was get some consulting work for a company called Outcome Results, which was like a recruitment company for unemployment training providers. So they found people who were long term unemployed and connected them with registered training organizations. Outcome Results was a company that was run by a gentleman called Rabbia Kraem and he is a long term associate of mister Chrysa Fullies. And in the dying days of the Newman government, David Chrisipfully as local member, boasted that he secured a taxpayer FUNDEDRT worth about three hundred and twenty one thousand dollars for Outcome Results to set up a call center in Townsville to shift its operations from Melbourne to towns full And what we found out is that soon after mister chrysa Fully lost his seat of monding Borough. He then became a consultant for mister Craam's outcome results. Following that consultancy work, he then agreed to be the sole director and the chief executive of a registered training organization that mister Crayam was the half owner of. And this is a business that has now come back to haunt mister chrysa Fully in terms of questions about its running. It ultimately failed. It fell into liquidation a couple of months after mister chrisa Fully left that business in April twenty sixteen, and while he was only there for four months, I think questions do need to be asked at what he knew when he entered the business, what he did as its sole director and the person who was in charge of running the business, and then what he did afterwards.
Speaker 1: Here's Sarah taking on Chris a Fully at a press conference just before the beer in Ingham on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Can I ask some questions about your business if that's okay, please? Why did you leave Southern Edge Training on April one in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Because my promise capital been country.
Speaker 4: I was in the business.
Speaker 2: Performer and I met every single one.
Speaker 3: Of my obligations.
Speaker 1: Sarah versus Chris A. Fooley kept going for a solid eight minutes based.
Speaker 4: On what Cameron Dick said, and he spent seventy two hours talking about the Supreme Court of Victoria. I'm not talking about the Supreme Court of Victoria, I am because it's related to.
Speaker 3: No, it's really not. I got a statement from the Australian Skills Quality Authority last night to say that the report I have read the report, can I it's the allegation was that the company traded.
Speaker 1: His heart really must sink when he sees reporters from the Australian showing up at his press conference every day. We spoke to Lydia Lynch last week about his difficulty answering questions about how he's going to handle the issue of abortion if he's elected. What's been your sense of his inability or unwillingness to answer some pretty simple questions about this issue.
Speaker 4: It has been unfortunate as a reporter and disappointing as a reporter and as a Queenslander to ask these simple and relevant questions about mister Chris Fully's personal policy position on things and his party's policy position on things. And also issues that are on the public record about his business dealings and be met with non answers. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for a We're used to people not answering our questions, but I think, particularly during an election campaign, it's voters who deserve that transparency and that accountability. I think to not answer really straightforward questions is being disrespectful to voters.
Speaker 1: Sarah Elks is a senior reporter with The Australian. You can check out all her reporting and don't miss our Queensland team's political gossip column, Feeding the Chucks at the Australian dot com dot u. Thanks for joining us this week on the front. Our team is Kristin Amiot, Jasper leik Leat, Samaglue, Joshua Burton, Tiffany Dimac and me Claire Harvey.