Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, January twenty eighth, twenty twenty six. Giant data centers that power artificial intelligence can't run on wind and solar. That's the warning from one of Australia's biggest operators, next DC, revealed in The Australian today. They say colon gas have to be part of the system to guarantee the reliability huge data loads require. The Muslim community must keep the wolves from their own flock. That's the view of Scott Morrison in a sweeping new proposal to crack down on anti Semitic hate speech. Today the big new idea from the former Prime Minister and how it fits into his feud with Anthony Albinizi. Richard Ferguson is The Australian's Canberra Press Gallery Bureau chief, and today he's reporting on a speech made overnight by Scott Morrison in Israel to an audience of leaders from around the world about antisemitism, but specifically bringing the problem home to what Scott Morrison would call hate preachers, people in Muslim communities and Muslim congregations who are preaching antisemitism. Scott Morrison says this is something for the Muslim community to sort out. Richard, this is a very sensitive issue that Scott Morrison is now wading into. We haven't seen a national leader really cheat the problem of antisemitism home to the Muslim community in quite this way yet, have.
Speaker 2: We Absolutely not, Claire. We have seen Josh Friedenberg Susan Lee make a wader philosophical point that radical Islam is the key problem that has fueled off the Bundai massacre and the two year antisemitism crisis in Australia that led to it.
Speaker 3: Those who practice and preach this radical Islamist ideology. First they come for the sat Day people, then they come for the Sunday people. And the lesson of history is that we're all infidels according to these radicals, and they are here in Australia and the government needs to take them on.
Speaker 4: Radical Islamist extremism caused this. I repeat, radical Islamist extremism caused this. Leaders need to be able to express this clearly, because if you can't name the problem, you can't possibly defeat it.
Speaker 2: But never have we seen such a detailed police Dreven agenda for reform in the Muselim community coming from a national leader. So mister Morrison at the International Conference on Anti Semitism in Jerusalem as laid out quite a list of things he believes that the Muslim community must do. That includes accrediting preachers, a national register of Amams, translating their religious teachings in mosques and in Muslim schools in the country into English so that people can access them and see what's being said. Expanding the country's foreign transparency scheme to include links with overseas religious groups. It is a widespread reform that he says he wants the Muslim community to lead, not the government to lead. That would completely change the way the Muslim community is essentially run in Australia. It is a very radical proposal. It is a proposal that I think will be met with a lot of criticism. But Scott Morrison has really prevented this saying I know I'll be called islamophobic. That is not what I am doing. What I am doing is trying to say we have to have this conversation and we need Muslim leaders to be part of this faith.
Speaker 5: All governments should have done better.
Speaker 1: That is my point.
Speaker 6: Did the Morrison governor point a special envoy to combat any Semetism?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: Did they establish the Joint Operation bringing together the AFP and Asia to combat acts of any Semetrism? No?
Speaker 1: Sorry, primunist, Scott Morrison has today described you delusional and cheap for trying to shift blame.
Speaker 5: Where are you trying to shift blame?
Speaker 1: And what do you make of his comments?
Speaker 5: Mister Morrison can make whatever comments he likes, as entitled to simply making the point by quoting what members said at that time in twenty eighteen nineteen. We have strength and hate laws. We have not sought to go over all the detail of the time when we had an Attorney General in this country who said that you have a right to be a big.
Speaker 2: I think that Scott Morrison was definitely exercise when Anthony Albinizi in Parliament last week tried to suggest that all governments were to blame for the rise of anti Semitism in Australia and singled out his government when using historical facts and figures. And mister Morrison has definitely felt very passionately about one our relationship with Israel into the ex incredibly horrific rise in anti Semitism in this country on our shores. Instead of support, we have seen that I was leaving under the freedom of democracy in this country, calling for the extinction of the side of Israel from the river to the sea. That is antisemitism. But I think that his intervention Claire is very different than what we've seen from some former prime ministers. Usually the rivor are defending their legacies, like Malcolm Turnbull being against August in order to defend his deal with Emmanuel Macron for French subs. It's different than the kind of the big philosophical things like Paul keating on China and the American in Alliance. It's even different really to prime ministers reacting to events like John Howard intervening on the Voice successfully and less successfully on the gay marriage postal survey. This is a detailed agenda. Scott Morrison is putting ideas out there, multiple ideas, ideas about reforming schools, ideas about reforming community bodies. He is doing this because he believes the government is not filling this space and that the government is not willing to have a conversation about Muslim leadership.
Speaker 1: You'd have to think he's also stepping in to avoid that the opposition has left. You know that there's no actual opposition coming from Susan Lee and David Little Proud and what used to be the Federal Coalition. They of course have torn themselves apart over this issue, and it's been a long term tearing apart on this particular issue of the balance between freedom of speech and religious freedom, hasn't it, Richard? The Federal Coalition has been trying to create legislation that finds a balance between stopping anyone discriminating against, for example, gay people, and allowing religious organizations religious schools to have the ability to make choices about who they employ, for example. They haven't actually got to a successful piece of legislation about that yet. And yet religious leaders have been urging both sides of politics for many years to give them the freedom to practice their religion as they see fit. How does bond I shake up that conversation. Religious leaders want reform, they want protection from anti discrimination legislation. Do they now have to give up on that idea given that Bondi has swept that conversation aside.
Speaker 2: Think that the Prime Minister has made it very clear that there will be no religious Discrimination Act or a revival of the bits of the hate speech laws that were dumped in this term of parliament, because religious leaders all want some sort of protection, but they can't agree on what protections they want. Some people want wider protections to be able to fire people. Some like the Jewish community, are actually more aligned with the gay and trans lobby on basically just having a clear clamp down on speech. It is an odd alliance in this kind of hate speech religious speech battle that has gone on for decades now. But I think that that will be the other reason why Scott Morrison has tried to pitch these registers and auditing as being self sufficient, as being Muslim led, not government led, because he knows if he was suggesting it the government led one, it would never get through Parliament and two you would start to get other bodies being feared that they would be held to the same standard by a government and therefore by a future government that maybe imagine God forbid a world where there's a labor Greens government and the Greens push for registers of priests etc. Or registers of evangelical Christian preachers. That's why Scott Morrison, I think has been very clever and very mindful of what he's stepping into by saying, no, this isn't about government intervention. This is about Muslim intervention. This is about Muslim leaders intervening in their communities and saying we can't put up with this anymore in our own communities.
Speaker 1: Coming up? Will this big idea go anywhere? He's saying this from the safety of Israel, He's a long way away from the Australian debate that's going to follow this revelation in the Australian today, Richard, where do you see this going? Is this going to be a serious conversation where we look at this idea or is this going to blow up into division and more controversy.
Speaker 2: The problem that Master Morrison does have is that his relationship is so acrimonious with Anthony Albanisi. This is not a normal relationship between prime ministers. Now we all know. I don't think it's any secret player that most of the Prime Ministers of Australia hate the other Prime ministers of Australia for all different reasons. You know, we all know that. But there is something deep and the relationship between Morrison and Albanesi that has broken Obviously Albanzi pursued Master Morrison over the Secret Mena Street scandal and had a review that is now being led by the Anti Semitism Royal Commissioner, Virginia Bell. That was the same person who reviewed mister Morrison's Secret Ministry choices. But I think Scott Morrison has said I have a platform, I have ideas, I'm going to put it out there. Let's be honest. Mister Morrison is not the most popular former Prime minister in the country, but he has a platform and he is using it and in this speech he's using it for an extraordinary effect. He is using This is not just one philosophical foot bubble. He has come with a list of things the country and the Muslim community could do to what he says to safeguard the Jewish community but also safeguard the Muslim community.
Speaker 1: Richard Focusing, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You can read Scott Morrison's full speech and check out all our reporting of this story live right now at the Australian dot com dot au