Speaker 1: My good agulestar. How are you ni?
Speaker 2: Good to see you mate.
Speaker 3: Now you and I.
Speaker 1: Are doing an impromptu one. Now let me just set the scene everyone.
Speaker 3: So today I was due to record a solo one today, so to go up tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So today is the third of March.
Speaker 3: It's Monday, and I'm always looking at David's work. And I'm not saying this insincerely because i just said this to him one on one off air. It's one of the most brilliant articles that I've read in a very long time. And apart from the fact that the content is amazing, that like the interweaving of all these different factors and variables and things that I hadn't really considered, like stuff like kind in you but never really thought about, but the actual writing and David would hate this, but the writing of the article is so fucking good. So the article is called The Price of Liberation The Pills hit in toll on teenage Girls. It's on substack and find that have a read of that is my suggestion, because really it is more significant. It is give or take three and a half thousand words, but it is worth the time and the energy investment because it is a revelation for guys and girls, I think anyway, that is my opinion. I didn't intend to read it all. I thought, oh, this looks interesting. What's golespo? And then I started reading. I went, oh, this is significant. This baggage up to page and when I don't have time for this, and then I read it all and it's just awesome. I'm just going to read the first bit because I want to set it up.
Speaker 1: And then I'm going to get out of the way for you to do your thing.
Speaker 3: Sure, I like doing this because it gives people a bit of an insight in the human era of a Puerto Rico click and I have fifty six. A handful of women unknowingly stepped into a medical trial that would change the world. They were the pioneers of a hormonal revolution, the vanguard of a movement that we grant women unprecedented control over their bodies and then destinies.
Speaker 1: But like all revolutions, this.
Speaker 3: One had unintended consequences, hidden costs that would ripple through generations. This is the story of the pill, a triumphant scientific innovation and social activism, and the silent crisis it has ignited in the vulnerable lines of teenage girls. Yeah, so firstly, what was the catalyst for this? And you know what I love is we haven't gone in this space before, and you and I had a lot of chats, so I like the fact that it's a different area. But what prompted this.
Speaker 2: Article, I Ah, it's a long path, but I'll I'm trying you this short version of it. When I was writing Free Schools, which is the book I wrote about the Australian education system, I noticed that there was a dramatic shift in the way Australian households were organized when you're compared just after World War II to modern day. And often writers talked about, oh, that's because so what happened was the average household just after World War two had four and a half five kids. I can't remember the exact statistics, but it was a lot, and it didn't have any labor saving devices. It had kids, so it had the mother usually at home. She was the labor saving device or the person doing all the work, and the kids were there and they were expected to get out of the way or help, and there was no concept of entertaining or indulging kids at that time. It was just they were extra labor. But that shifted dramatically when you compared that time to now where where the average household is full of labor saving devices. So the average homemaker in nineteen forty five, I don't know, was doing sixty seventy hours a week of labor. Now they're doing about fourteen. And the difference is all the devices and so on. But also it changed the status of the kids. You know, now I have one point, whatever it is, you know, we're not even at replacement levels in Australia at the moment. And that dramatically changed the way we treated kids. Kids were no longer the labor force, you know, and expected to get in there and help. They became the prodigies that you know, had to be indulged at all costs and no horrible things could ever happen to them, you know, especially the word no. And you know, it was a dramatic shift, and I noticed it, and I didn't really draw much attention to it in writing that book, but it stuck with me. That's a very big change. And so when I was writing Teen Brain about changes in the teenagers' brains that occurred because of adolescence and the way the hormones work in puberty. I came across this massive study in in Denmark, and you know, a little bit of a spoiler alert at the end of this article, is I finished or towards the end of this article I talk about this study. And what blew me away about this study is it was massive, a million women between the ages of fifteen and thirty four a million, And what they had studied was the effect of birth control on these women's mental health, So was the incidence of anxiety and depression and obviously other things like suicide, self harm, etc. Was it in any way related or correlated with whether or not a woman was taking hormonal birth control, that is, the pill or the longer acting versions of it like IUDs and so on and injectibles. And the answer was pretty damn shocking as far as I'm concerned. When this study came out twenty sixteen, which was about when I was writing that book, and it said what they found was that women between the ages of fifteen and thirty four who were on the pill were twice as likely to be diagnosed with anxiety and depression, not a little bit more likely, not a little bit here or there, or you know, bit hard to call twice as likely. And worse than that, when you look at a particular age group, the fifteen to nineteen year olds who were on long term or monal birth control, it was three times as likely. So the group who are most likely to have severe adverse outcomes from anxiety and depression, which is teenage girls, were three times as likely to have those outcomes if they were on birthnroll. And I thought, Wow, this is a shocking statistic, and I kind of slipped it into teen brain, but not really. It doesn't really have a home in there. It's just it's in there. And I've always wanted to really drill in to the pill and write the story of the pill and understand how we got to this place where we are happily giving a hormonal steroid medication to young girls, often not for birth control, which we'll talk about later, and we're happily doing that and blithely ignoring major studies that say this is really dangerous to do. Yeah, I mean I've never come across that. I've never come across that in everyday media, in people talking, but no one says anything about, Hey, I'll by the way, you know, the pill significantly increases the chances of anxiety and depression in teenage girls, well not just teenage girls, in any woman, but particularly in teenage girls.
Speaker 3: And not just significantly, but like fucking astoundingly.
Speaker 1: Like when you say significantly, like.
Speaker 3: In normal science would go, oh, it increases by twenty Yeah, we'd go, well, that's significant.
Speaker 1: No, it's free.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's bizar.
Speaker 1: That is not a big conversation.
Speaker 2: So what I wanted to do with this article is I wanted to go back in time and really tell the story of how we came to have this thing in the first place. And I mean it's for all the right reasons, all the right reasons. In the nineteen thirties, they were just starting to get the hang of hang on a sec there's these thing called steroid hormones in male and female bodies that seemed to have a lot to do with, you know, whether or not we get pregnant and so on, And they were just discovering that progesterone did affect a female's ability to reproduce. So if it was added, you could it made periods less painful, It could be used for all kinds of gynecological and obstetric treatments. Trouble was it was hideously expensive because it had to be extracted from animals, and so it wasn't much uptake for it because only really very rich people would have had any real access to it. And that sent a doctor, well actually he was more of a research scientist than a doctor, out on the hunt, a fellow by the name of Russell Marker on the hunt for he felt he'd heard rumors, you know, and read some things about some types of yam, in particular one growing in Mexico, which is bloody huge. I've put a photo of it in the article.
Speaker 3: It's gone the Diascoria Mexicana. Yeah, I'm like shit, how does that translate to the pill? But anyway, I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Yep, these things are huge. Like imagine a pineapple now multiplied by twenty right, those are what it looks like, but it contains There had been local folklore amongst the native people's in Mexico for centuries that eating these yams could control many of the same problems that they were trying to do with progesterone in western medicine, and so this had peaked his interest and he'd gone looking for them. He actually found a local shopkeeper and together they managed to harvest ten tons of these yams and extracted eventually extracted progesterone from it, and well produced it from the things they extracted from. Boy with the details, but anyway, the result was that you could produce progesterone extremely cheaply using these dams. And when the doctors who were out looking at progesterone studies heard about this, they thought, well, hang on a sec. Now there's a bit of a market. Now we can actually get the raw ingredient we need at an affordable price. So all those sorts of things came together along. But that's just science that on its own doesn't make the pill. What made the pill was in fact a suffragette, a famous suffragette who who by the name of Margaret Sanger, who had been campaigning for the better part of thirty or forty years by the time this all happened, for the right for women to choose when they got pregnant. Now, Margaret was a nurse and she'd seen the results of endless unwanted pregnancy. You know, essentially the birth control was not under the control of the women. The wife often in these situations, and they had as many children as nature would allow, And it meant that a woman's lot at about that time, up to the end of World War two was really controlled entirely around an endless cycle of having children. So that's all the free labor came from. That, I noticed when I was writing the other book. And she campaigned on the basis that, look, this is not fair, this is not right. A woman should be able to say when either when she's getting pregnant in the first place, or when she's had enough children. And so she had been advocating that for a long time. She'd started one of the first birth control clinics, which was essentially handing out pamphlets on when to have sex in the month and things like that, sort of timing things. And she'd managed to get arrested for that, by the way, because it was illegal to tell women how to control their pregnant their fertility. Wrested, she got thirty hours in the workhouse for that one thirty days in the workhouse for that, But it didn't stop her. She had been campaigning fiercely for these rights for a long time. When she heard about the possibility that there might be a way to create a pill that you could take that would control your fertility. She was all over it. She put the scientists together with the doctors. She even arranged the funding. Another famous suffragette who Catherine McCormick, who was in fact an heiress to the International Harvest of Fortune and had had piles of cash. But she was very, very famous in the Suffragetta the Votes for Women Arena. She put up the money. Dr Pinkus, who was the one that Marca was introduced to, started the research. They even got involved with the condition by the name of doctor rock. Now. He was an interesting addition to the whole thing because he was a fierce Catholic and he actually smoothed the way from an ethical perspective. He campaigned endlessly for the Capital Church to change its stance on birth control to at least permit the use of a hormonal contraceptive. He didn't succeed, but his involvement sort of I don't know, church washed the whole thing, and it also meant there was a bit of an ethical shield. Nothing untoward was going on here. This was all totally above board, with absolute good intent. The end result was that by the mid nineteen fifties are ready to do some experiments. They are on humans, you know, as was the case in those days, they did an experiment on Western humans. They found some impoverished humans nearby and went to Puerto Rico and did their experiments. But it was astoundingly successful, so that the pill worked. It did control birth most of the time. It's not one hundred percent effective, but.
Speaker 3: Goods everything else they had at their disposal.
Speaker 2: It was revolutionary and seemingly no downside. It achieved exactly what Margaret said I wanted it to achieve. It gave women choice. Now, remember that the women she was talking about were usually women who'd already had their children and just didn't want any more. So they'd had their one or two or three kids that they and their husband had decided they wanted, and then they wanted control over whether or not they had more. So these were often older women who were further in their path in life, and that was how it was really marketed at the time in the early nineteen sixties, as were sold it was a revolution. It fundamentally changed swung the pendulum the other direction about who had control over whether or not a woman became pregnant. It was the revolution Margaret Sanger thought it would be. It was the revolution she'ds bought, fought most of a century to have. And that's all terrific. The downside come when we start handing these things out to teenage girls. Now that's where the problem comes. Now you might say, well, why are we handing these things out to teenage girls? If you know anything about teen sex statistics, you definitely say why are we handing these things out to teenage girls? Because in the last twenty years, teenage girls are having fifteen percent less sex than their mothers were. The incidence of teen sex is actually dropping like a stone. We've probably talked about this, but I'll just mention it again. The reason for that is because it's very hard to have sex with someone if you're spending the whole day in your bedroom on your iPhone. So people are getting dopamine stimulation from programs written to manipulate their dopamine rather than from interacting in real life with real people who could get them pregnant. So that's a big part of it. Since the when you look at the statistics for teen sex, they're actually trending upwards until twenty eleven, and then from twenty eleven till now, they've they've fallen dramatically, and that's because.
Speaker 3: The first smartphone, or I find.
Speaker 2: The first, first first iPad I think I think the iPhone was two thousand and seven, but the iPad really did it. So anyway, so.
Speaker 3: That lady what's her name, the suffragette, the like she was macco, Yeah, no, saying that she was. So there's a picture in the article of here in twenty seventeen when she got her thirty days in the.
Speaker 2: Workout nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: Sorry, And then in the sixties she was still there just banging the drum.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's such a commitment. I mean, god, that's nearly half a century later.
Speaker 2: Yep. Absolutely, And she achieved what she wanted to achieve, but it went a bit wrong, and she couldn't possibly have anticipated what would ultimately become of the pill. I mean, so, notwithstanding that a lot less teenage girls are having sex, the prescription rates for the pill are going through the roof, So you know, it's increased by I think I put the number in the article there is it's some twenty five percent. Yeah, twenty five percent increase over the same period that we've had a fifteen percent decrease in people having sex. So less people are having sex, well, less teenage girls are having sex. Yes, we're selling a quarter more of the pill to those people in that period. What are they doing with it if they're not using it for sex? The answer is acne. The thing that the iPhone and the iPad brought along was a whole lot of curated perfection. There's you wouldn't I mean, eighty five percent of teenagers get acne. You wouldn't know it from looking at the average Instagram feed. No one has acne. Now. The thing about it is that the pill is an extraordinarily effective treatment for acne. It is very effective, and so it's often the reason why a teenage girl is on the pill. There are other reasons which have nothing to do with sex as well, which is, you know, difficult or regular or painful periods. It helps there too. So when they've done surveys of who why are people on the pill? Four out of five teenage girls are on the pill or something that some reason other than to prevent themselves becoming pregnant. Remembering that the target market for the pill was never teenage girls. The tiger market for the pill was married women, often who'd already had children. So but now this thing that the market has crept out and the pharmaceutical companies don't mind. I'm sure that there's a much bigger market for this thing, and it's now being given for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with getting pregnant, and but you know, also have the side benefit that you know, if I don't know, if accidents happened, then you probably won't get pregnant either. So that's an issue. And you might say, well, that's a bit terrible. But what about this thing about the study that I mentioned before about the depression? Why would that be the case? Have we got to have we got to buy a chemical explanation for that? Why would teenage girls be more depressed and anxious if they are on the pill. What on earth does progesterone have with anxiety and depression. That's the interesting question that I like to come back to, which is what's going on there? And some really interesting science has been done in this area because we know some stuff about the teenage brain. We know that when males and females anto puberty, a hormone called GABA. Well, GABBA gets turned off, or more accurately, it gets turned off so we can enter puberty. Gabba is a breaking system in the body. It's what stops us entering puberty the day after we're born, so it holds us at that state of pre puberty for ten twelve years before the rest of the body is in a position to allow us to go that last ten years of building a human which actually builds the higher order parts of the thinking in human brain. So that hormone gets dialed right down and puberty commences. Now, the problem is that that hormone is a general purpose shutter down er of things, and one of the things that shuts down is addiction. So it actually when it's dialed up, as it is in children or people over the age of about twenty two, it's much harder to become addicted. It's also much harder to be anxious and much harder to be depressed. This thing is like a breaking system that stops those things happening. But there's particularly vulnerable period of human development that you have to go through called puberty, where we turn off the thing that stops that happening, and so we become more likely to be addicted anxious depressed, which is of course why adolescents are the people who become addicted anxious depressed most addictions, Almost all addictions start during that period because that's the point when the human brain is most susceptible to it. It's also why allmost all anxiety and depression starts during that period. Okay, so what's they got to do with the pill? Well, what the pill does is jam us in, well, jam jam females in what's called the luteal phase of you know, the ovulation phases. And that's how it works. It's basically convincing the brain, oh, ovulation has already finished, it's over and done with. We're cool. So the brain thinks it's pregnant. It thinks the body is pregnant. And therefore that's how the pill works, you know, in the shortest possible way. I do go to a bit more detail on the article for those of you who are interested or don't know, but it the end result of that is that it just so happens that the luteal phase is the phase where GABBA is totally suppressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So whilst if we think about, say in puberty, we might drop from one hundred percent gabba functionality to say thirty percent, just to gett into puberty. In the luteal phase, we drop that thirty percent down for maybe ten percent or five percent. So it's a temporary thing, and if a woman isn't on the pill, it happens every month anyway, but only for that short part of the ovulation cycled the luteal phase where they're particularly susceptible at that moment. What the pill does is jam them in that phase permanently, so there is your connection. That's why the study is showing that women who are on the pill are more susceptible to anxiety and depression than women who are not, and in particular women between the ages of fifteen and nineteen.
Speaker 4: So it kind of puts them in this perpetial hormonal state where they are wildly more likely percentage wise to become a dig that depressed and anxious.
Speaker 2: Yes, and than that just being.
Speaker 3: Once a month thing for a few days that becomes aw, this is your date, your this is your holding pattern, your Hohomonal hole in pattern.
Speaker 1: This is where you're at.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. Now, the reason there was a difference between the effect on fifteen to nineteen year olds, and the effect in women who are older in that study is simply because that underlying GABBA level does start to come back up as you go through puberty and you reach your early twenties, that starts to come back up to normal levels, but you still have the suppressing effect of the permanent luteal face. So as you get older, the less affected by it you are. But the particularly dangerous time is that early part of puberty where gabber is suppressed anyway, and then you're suppressing it with the pill. So none of this was contemplated by the Hugaret Sayer or any of the folks I talk about in the article. How could it be? They didn't even have in mind that you would be giving this to fifteen year old girls. What they were thinking about was women controlling how many children they had, usually married women who'd already had children. And for those women, whilst there still is a risk because you are still putting them into a permanent luteal phase which suppresses GABBA, their risk is much much lower than doing it to a teenage girl. And so we are in the midst of an epidemic of anxiety and depression amongst teenagers in general, but also in particular amongst teenage girls. And we are prescribing a steroid hormone that we know has these effects to those girls, not generally to stop them becoming pregnant or for them to plan how many pregnancies they have, but to stop them having acne.
Speaker 1: It's bloody.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking, like when we're talking about anxiety, depression, addiction in the media generally, like there's been and we've had a lot of conversation around you know, screens and phones and iPads and technology and the addiction to that and the relationship between all the stuff that happens online and the bullying and then the propensity or the potential for you know, depression, anxiety and all of that mental health issues out of that. But I've never heard maybe it has been had, but I've never heard this conversation we had in mainstream media once. And then you go fifteen to nine year olds three hundred percent more likely to suffer from like just that's enough, Just let's start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And which is why it amazed me when I first came across, as I remember I came across in twenty sixteen just about I think when it as it was released and I was writing the book Teen Brain, and I do mention it in that book, but it just struck me as wow, this is incredible, and I was just waiting for something to come out, you know, publicly about this. I would have thought, well, that's going to start making all kinds of warnings about whether or not the pill should be being used, particularly by teenage girls. But I haven't seen anything. And I wonder then why we're not seeing that kind of thing. Because it's hard to say that this is nonsense. You could if it were just that study, you could just say, oh, well, yeah, correlation does an equal causation, could be minion things that explains that who knows sure, but correlation andy not equal causation. But it does raise a flag that says, look at this closely because something might be going on that we need to know about. And when you can come up with a reasonably well justified mechanical explanation for why what you're observing is occurring, that's when you really need to pause to think. And all of the things that I've given you today about gabba suppression, a luteal phase, all that sort of thing that is all undisputed, uncontroversial statements that we know to be true, and it provides a very reasonable explanation for what that study observed, which is that there is a significant risk with these steroidal pills during those phase for teenage girls. Now, there are often, I'm sure there are teenage girls who must be on the pill, and I don't want to stand here and diss the pill for that, right, I mean, there are always medically justifiable reasons for this, But its use is exploding. It has increased by a quarter in the last fifteen years. And why it is being used is not necessarily for birth control or even to deal with difficult periods, but for things like acne. Now, the other thing that I briefly touch on in the article is one of the longer term consequences of putting people on the pill is that have nothing to do with the things we talked about so far, is that it masks symptoms of something that is starting to become a very very real problem in society, and that's endometriosis. The difficulty is it's often first diagnosed when a woman comes off the pill in her mid thirties, and the reason she's coming off the pill is because she's decided she wants to have children and then can't have children, and they discover that, oh, well, your fertility has been affected by you know, many many years of undiagnosed endometriosis. And that's a difficulty because you've got the pill masking symptoms that would have alerted a physician much much earlier on that there was something that needed treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Such, it's such a multifaceted conversation and issue, and like, this is what I think everyone for what it's worth, it is just two blokes having an interesting conversation by one way.
Speaker 2: And that and that in itself is a bit problematic.
Speaker 3: Well about to say this is clime two blokes, and like David said, correlation not necessarily causation, but at the very least, Like my intention with this is not on any level for me to pretend or David for that matter, that we're experts in this. But the evidence is the evidence, The data is the data, the research is the research. And so while I just think it's maybe a good conversation to keep having, and I just I wish that the mainstream media would go, hey, could you know that article you wrote, could we have a chat about that, because, I mean, one of the challenges with having conversations like this that are deeply personal and affect people like birth control and all of the myriad of hormonal and psychological and emotional issues that happen it can happen to women young and older, is that obviously there's emotion around it, right, and people like, who the fuck are you, Craig Harbert, I'm saying I'm a nobody. I'm just a bloke with a podcast, so there's no you know, I'm not making any statements other than this is when I read this. When I read this article, I just went, this is a really articulate, well researched, well thought through for me, this is just an important thing to open up to further discussion. So mate, well done. I'll let you have the final say in a moment. But just reminding you everyone, it's on substack. The name of the article is just follow David on substack anyway of subscriber, whatever you want to do in pay a bit or pay nothing. The Price of Liberation The Pills Sitting Toll on teenage Girls. It was out March one, twenty twenty five. Any kind of wrap up thoughts.
Speaker 2: Mate, I really just want to underline the thing that both you and I have said is that this is a couple of old men talking about something that they've never experienced. And I don't want to presume to understand the situation that a teenage girl is in when she desperately needs to be prescribed the pill to manage things, for example, like period pain or regular periods or things like that. I don't want to pretend I understand that, or that I have a right to have a say about it. What I do want to draw people's attention to is that there is solid research here which to me is concerning and it should be getting more attention.
Speaker 3: Well, mate, hopefully this will start the wheels of conversation turning. At the very least, we'll say goodbye affair. But thanks for taking this on short notice. I sent the Great Man a message an hour or two ago and said would you do a and inn prompt you chat?
Speaker 1: And he said yes. So I appreciate that a lot.
Speaker 2: MANE absolute pleasure. Thanks Boddy. All right, so yeah,