Speaker 1: Lateens General Man, Welcome to the Late Debase.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: I'm Caleb Bond with Joe Hildebrand and Liz Storer.
Speaker 2: Well, would you believe it?
Speaker 3: Yet another thing the Victorian government has managed to bugger up. We told you the other night that they've now got hard call criminals murderers being put into medium security prison because they don't have enough room left in the maximum security prisons.
Speaker 2: There is a prison.
Speaker 3: Shortage, except for the fact that there are four hundred beds lying unused in Victorian prisons and they might be about to demolish them.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you what's going on with that soon.
Speaker 3: In the papers, Anthony Albanezi has a big tax promise for trade's it's all on for young and old, and later the politician who's changed football teams for a photo op. As far as I'm concerned, you can not do it. But some good news, it would seem the idea of DOGE is starting to get through here in Australia and of course in my hometown of South Australia. In Adelaide, the Chairman of the Productivity Commission, Adrian Temble, has said, well there's merit in doing this here. I'm glad people are starting to wake up. He gave a speech yesterday entitled does doge have any relevance to essay?
Speaker 2: And his answer was yes.
Speaker 3: He said that the public sector must be just as informative, reform innovative, sorry, reformist, and generally open to change as.
Speaker 2: We expect our private sector to be.
Speaker 3: Funny about that, and his suggestion the way to do it is that every year there should be at least a day or perhaps even a week set aside where Parliament comes together to debate where the departments have actually met performance targets. You know those things we deal with in the private sector where the boss says you've got to achieve KPIs by the end of the year and if you don't do them, your job might be on the line. But of course for many public servants it's far too cushy for that.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just going to say, well, but we'd like this.
Speaker 3: One in a time frame that no one really knows what it is, but we'll come back and look at it in four years time, and then when it hasn't been done, we'll give you some more money to perhaps get the job done. I'm glad Liz that the message is finally getting through. We need a doge federally, we need a doge in every state. People are starting to wake up to the fact it's the Trump effect that has been permeating the world since he was elected in November. Again, the Trump affix saying, look, we do actually have to care a little bit about how our governments are operating.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent. Who doesn't want government efficiency? But as I've said before, when the Trump administration just last month passed a continuing resolution that meant government spending was going to stay at the same levels as the Biden administrations until at least September, then all the doge rave for me went out the window. Because while you're slashing these projects and this bit and that bit, and it all looks wonderful and it's made Goodness knows how many incredible headlines, is massively looking amazing to the public, And naturally, people in other Western countries are saying, we'll have what they're having, thank you very much, spending our tax dollar better than you have been. The bottom line is, if government spending is staying at the same levels, it's a pile of hot air. They're simply fun funneling those funds elsewhere. Now one could argue, well they're funneling it in a better way, but we simply don't know that yet. And so I do wonder if much like this fellow in South Australia has cottoned onto making these announcements. Sounds absolutely wonderful. While we'll get you a doge, we'll take on this doge like style of slashing this and that these politicians have figured out, Well, we can get those headlines, we can look just as good. But are we actually going to be cutting government spending and thereby reducing inflation. No, but we'll get the headlines and will look amazing.
Speaker 4: Joe, I would not be holding your breath to see this great new revolution descend upon the fine free state of South Australia.
Speaker 2: Valley's a sensible now.
Speaker 4: He's a fantastic guye and I love him. He's also a pragmatist. The exact quote from the Productivity Commissioned chairman was that there was a quote small level of validity that dose could have a role there, which is the most bureaucratic thing you could possibly say. There is some element of programmatic specific specificity within certain parameter bound widths, which perhaps we could pursue with a view too at some point in the future, reviewing the existing operations as they currently stand, and seeing if at some point there might be scope for further examination of a business case for developing certain other procedures that might then lead to greater efficiency beyond the forward estimates period.
Speaker 3: You could not have put it better, Jo, I mean you clear as a Jada journalist like me have read through so many of these things. I think the reason it's so important now is that over the last few years what we've seen is an effective recession in Australia. It didn't show up on paper because we pumped the country up with so many migrants that it looked like there was economic growth because of course naturally if you have more people, you have to service more people, and so that creates some level of economic growth. Now it's been minuscule, you know, zero point one percent of whatever each court of it, just enough to say we weren't in recession, except of course that in real terms household GDP, we were going in recession. People have had less actual money in their hands relative to inflation to spend and If you look at the jobs that have been created for all of these new mirgrants that have come into the country, eighty percent of them, more than eighty percent of them are linked in some way to the government, so it's in the health sector, or it's in some sector that gets from the government in order to create these jobs.
Speaker 2: There's not actually any growth in the private sector.
Speaker 3: No, unless they're getting money from the government in order to do it. That's not growing an economy. It's just spending more text to make it look like you're growing an economy.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and it's not sustainable, which is why it's encouraging that Dutton. Despite the fact that I'm sorry, he's not going to be the next prime minister, they're there. It is just honestly, if I hear what conservative commentator say that this is neck and neck. I had a friend of mine on the phone to me just today and she's all downhearted because she's like, you know, do you think we're gonna make it? And I said to her, anyone telling you that this is possible, I'm sorry, is simply flying high. I'd love to have whatever they're having, but I do love this promise by Dutton to slash forty one thousand out of the public sector employees, because we all though this is bloated for the very reasons that you just outlined. This is bloated, This is unnecessary, and we all know that you could slash more than that tomorrow and nobody would know a difference in the levels of service that we receive from our government. Speaking of we all know that Victoria is now going to be looking at an uptick as high as twenty percent in terms of how many prison beds they need in the next twelve months, due to the fact that just last month they rushed through those tougher Bayer laws because they're finally cracking down on crime.
Speaker 2: This is it, This is the dawn of a new era.
Speaker 1: They're going to be punishing criminals, revelatory. But they have a massive problem on their hands because two new prison builds are proving to be infested with mold, which means that over four hundred and fifty brand new prison beds are unusable. Terrible timing for this to make the news, isn't it. Corrections Minister Enver Erdagan, sorry if I got that wrong, buddy, says the government has hired lawyers and they are ready to take the contractors who did these dodgy builds to court.
Speaker 2: So these two allegedly faulty.
Speaker 1: Builds at two maximum security prisons, namely the Metropolitan Remand Center in raven Hall and Bar One Prison at Lara, are just sitting there. Nobody can actually be in these beds, and the Corrections Minister is saying, no, no, this isn't going to be a problem because we've got the brand new maximum security center opening.
Speaker 2: Mid this year.
Speaker 1: But that, good sir, is replacing the Port Philip prison, and the new one that you're referring to, which has twelve hundred beds, is only got one hundred more breds than the prison that's closing. Again, you're not really making up the gap of the fact that you guys are going to need twenty percent more prison beds. The math isn't mathing, buddy over the next twelve months. And you're pointing to this brand new one called the Western Plains Correctional Center saying no, no, no, this is opening mid this year, so nothing to see here. Yeah, but it's replacing the one that you're closing Port Philip prison, and the new one only has one hundred more beds than that one, which one assumes is already pretty much at capacity. So it's not reassuring for Victorians at all.
Speaker 4: The Victorian government can't do Maths's suggesting there is anything wrong with the Victorian governments finances, forward planning, cost business.
Speaker 2: I don't think you need to get easy.
Speaker 4: I feel cost benefit analysis. Look, these guys are just obviously just a BASTONCA. It's getting to the point where it's kind of like fast, isn't it? Like sorry? What sorry? We can't open the prisons because because the beds are rotting, it's not burning like the midnight oil. So like every time there's a riot in a Victorian prison, which seems to have been quite up frequently as well, but they're just rotting, and it's just such a it seems like such a metaphor for my old home state as well, that that is literally just sort of decaying, just slowly falling apart into some weird formless primordial gunk.
Speaker 2: Overgrown with molds. Two things.
Speaker 3: One, it's a maximum security prison, right, so the sort of people they're putting in here are reasonably unsafe, right, So the keys, if they have to live in a moldy.
Speaker 2: It doesn't much matter to me them in there.
Speaker 3: But the other thing, of course, is we know that Victoria is running out of money.
Speaker 2: I mean, the state is essentially broke.
Speaker 3: They are a mindicant state now right, And they're trying to get taxes here in Texas here, and they've jacked up the land text to high heaven, on on and on it goes. They don't have the money to pay for these things. Meanwhile they're trying to do the suburban rail loop, et cetera. So is this a case of they just found like the cheapest guy they could in the white pages or the yellow badges, and was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll get you. We'll do a cashy job. I will see how it goes well.
Speaker 3: They're finding out how it goes now. It reminds me of you might remember in Faulty Towers when Basil gets the builder o'reiley to come in and do some work on the hotel, and his wife Sybil pleads with him not to get this cut price.
Speaker 2: O'Reilly's loke in to do the job.
Speaker 3: It gets him in to do the job, and it goes about as well as you'd expect.
Speaker 5: I don't care right now on my dining room door put back, and it's other one take it away by one o'clock. You understand, no, no, no, I don't want a debate about it. If you're not over here in twenty minutes with my door, I should come over there and insert a large garden room and you're good there.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, mister faulty, but my man just won't work on the Sunday. And that's the way it is.
Speaker 4: There's nothing they can do about it.
Speaker 2: How long is it going to take you? Well, I'm not going as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a probably the discussions they're having it the moment they won't work on tu we're doing it as fast as so disgracefully.
Speaker 4: I mean, we talked about this last time. I'm sick of my people, the Irish already colonized and enslaves. They bring it to overlords being treated to this ongoing intergenerational racism by wasby British Protestant elites. I won't have it. And if you would like a cheap bill, just call Jolly Joe's Bonds. The bills we do it three hundred.
Speaker 3: You know, I've said this before so many, so many government contracts I wish I could get my hands on. I mean, couldn't the three of us not together a building that doesn't turn moldy?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: How hard can it be?
Speaker 4: I don't know how your youth is tracking, Kayla, but I have to say that every single bed that I encountered in every sharehouse ended up pretty much the saver as the.
Speaker 3: Bar it stood it out for the people in the sharehouses exactly frizzy and.
Speaker 4: Give them scabies for good measure. Oh dear, No, let's talk about liberation data.
Speaker 2: Let's let's go on to that. Of course, it's the story of the day.
Speaker 3: And I'm not going to go chapter and verse into what's happened, because if you haven't heard it by now, well you've been living under a rock. But of course, the pertinent thing for us is that the United States has put a ten percent tariff on any product that we export to the United States. They say that's because we have some sort of reciprocal tariff on them. Simply not true. The justification here seems to be that we slap the GST on US products that come into Australia, but we also slap the GST on Australian products that are made here in Australia.
Speaker 2: It is not a tariff.
Speaker 3: So the justification for all of this I cannot see. But Trump, of course is not doing it for the rest of the world. He's doing it for the people at home. He's doing it for America first, which is what he was elected to do. And here he is saying, this will be the rebirth of American industry.
Speaker 7: Fellow Americans, is Liberation Day waiting for a long time. April second, twenty twenty five will forever be remembered as the day American industry was reborn, the day America's destiny was reclaimed, and the day that we began to make America wealthy again.
Speaker 3: And Trump specifically pointed out Australian beef because we send a lot of beef to the United States. It is the best beef in the world, of course, but we refuse to take us beef because of concerns over mad cow disease. Now the experts in the US say that's not a problem anymore. The experts heresay, we're not quite so sure about that. But he opened up the possibility and we don't really know yet how this is going to land of banning Australian beef all together.
Speaker 7: Well, Australia bans and they're wonderful people and wonderful everything, but they ban American beef. Yet we imported three billion dollars of Australian beef from them just last year alone. They won't take any of our beef. They don't want it because they don't want it to affect their farmers. And you know what, I don't blame them, but we're doing the same thing right now, starting about midnay to night.
Speaker 2: We'll see where all of this actually lands.
Speaker 3: And of course it's one thing that both leaders of the government and the opposition are on a unity ticket on that these tariffs are bad. The Prime Minister Anthony Alberze, he tried to make hay while the sun shone today.
Speaker 2: He said this was not the act of a friend.
Speaker 6: President Trump referred to reciprocal tariffs. A reciprocal tariff would be zero, not ten percent. The administration's tariffs have no basis in logic, and they go against the basis of our two nations partnership. This is not the act of a friend.
Speaker 3: Now what he says is right, and I suspect quietly Albanize might have been a little bit pleased that all of this played out as it did today because it allows him to stand up so well, I'm going into that for Australia. So it comes at a good time in the middle of an election campaign. But what justification is there for a ten percent tariff on Australians products.
Speaker 4: There's none whatsoever, And Albo is completely right, there is no justification whether Trump and the administration have got confused by the ten percent GST on imports because remember there were some that were exempt. If you buy bought stuff on the wine from overseas, it was exempt, and then a GEST was put on that. So does he suddenly think that that's what the GST is. Of course in America they have different states have different sales tax all over the country. Is that a tariff because you go to Wyoming and you pay a seven and a half percent or whatever it might be. I don't know. So it's absolutely right about that and the issue, as you rightly said, the reason we have an issue with uncooked American beef coming to Australia is the same reason why anyone who brings a banana in here basically gets strip search. Because we have really really strict biosecurity laws because we are an island continent nation. But the interesting thing here is not what the US tariff what will happen just because the US tariffs on Australia will do it's because it's the tariffs that they're going to put on everyone else. So they're putting like thirty four percent on China. I think it's twenty six percent on India. Now they are two of our biggest trading partners. I think India's our biggest market for education, which our third of something biggest export. China of course our biggest export partner full stop. So if those countries can't do trade with the US on even terms, it can't export to them anymore. Suddenly their growth collapses, Their growth goes down, Global growth goes down from like three to two percent some people are suggesting. But their growth in particular is going to get smashed because they're to be hit by tariffs that are a quarter to a third of the cost of the goods. And then of course they don't have their economies strong enough. They don't have big consumers there who want to buy Australian iron ore to build stuff because they're not getting richer anymore. They're not making more money. So the real worry is what it does to China and India and the effect that that then has on us rather than just each way. And then the other big thing to worry about will be what happens if they go after the PBS. Will they start telling the government that it's not allowed to negotiate. But basically, you know, bulk buys of goods that it then subsidizes and sells off to us for cheap prices so that we don't die. So if I think if that happens, you know, I suddenly you hear stories of people not being able to get access to life saving cancer medication because you know, the pharmaceutical big pharmaceutical companies in America, who Donald Trump's health minister is meant to be going to war with and keeping in check whatever happened to that RFK Junior.
Speaker 8: That's when I think people will get really, really furious. And the reason why I won't say it's good for Anthony Abernezi, but the reason why it's bad for Peter Dartner is because previously he'd sort of tried to wedge the government and Donald Trump said, oh, I could have got a better deal, and he's been accused of being a bit like Trump himself, rightly or wrongly, fairly unfair, but that sticks, and the worst Trump is the worse it is, I think for Peter Dunn.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's definitely interesting.
Speaker 1: I think a few people would have been exhaling a sigh of relief actually with this baseline of ten percent when you see how high some of the tariffs are on the other nations which we just had on the screen earlier. Some of these are extortionate and targeting some of the poorest countries, So you really do wonder what the heck's going on there and what effect that's going to have on their economies, given that there are many of them poverty stricken nations as it is. So I do think Australia is getting off light here. We'd already been told that we weren't going to be exempt, and even the farmers, from what I've read today, are breathing a sigh of relief, saying, look, ten percent we can live with, and what we can't live with we can find other markets. And due credit to Albanzi, he's acted very swiftly on this today, announcing a response package, including fifty million dollars to pursue other markets for those sectors that are like, Okay, well we're really screwed now, we need to find other places to sell our product to. But I learned something today that the largest Australian export to the US is meat products.
Speaker 2: We made four billion off.
Speaker 1: Them just last year alone. I had no idea they loved our meat that much.
Speaker 3: Well, so they should. It's a bit since thing. I heard an interview overnight. I couldn't sleep this morning, I should say not last night. I was up at five in the morning listening to an interview on two GB of as you are a farmer, who was talking about.
Speaker 2: How big the export market is for our meat.
Speaker 3: And the fact that it's actually become nigh on impossible to sell your product locally because all the avatars have been bought up by big multinational congloberates that get the meat in specifically to send it overseas. Lot of me wonders, and I've written about this in my advertiser column tomorrow, whether this will be a moment where we actually start to wake up and think about, well, if America is doing America first, we should think about Australia first as well.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean putting tariffs on other nations.
Speaker 3: I think they're anachronistic in the modern market and they're a punitive measure. But things like we have two oil refineries left in this country right they're guaranteed by the federal government till the end of the decade.
Speaker 2: After that what happened last We produce no fuel.
Speaker 3: In this country, so we're entirely reliant on other countries that are pulling all out of the ground, like Saudi Arabia, and we've already seen them in recent years artificially inflate the price of oil by shrinking the market because they have total control of the market. So if they say we'll put less oil out tomorrow, it means.
Speaker 2: If your prices go up.
Speaker 3: We've got all this coal and gas under our feet that we dig up an export and send overseas and refuse to burn for ourselves because we say is bad for the environment, but we're happy for other people to burn it, and it's bad for the environment over there and not here, and we're paying through the nose for our renewable energy here. So maybe this is a moment where we have to wake up and say, well, actually we need to start thinking about looking after ourselves as well, not just you know, letting every other country take advantage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here, you won't find an Australia and he'll disagree with that. Extraordinary announcement by the Trump administration just yesterday with Attorney General Pam Bondie announcing that they want the death penalty for Luigi mangione which you may recall, is charged with murdering Brian Thompson, CEO of United Healthcare in cold blood.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, she posted.
Speaker 1: A general statement saying, Luigi Mangioni's murder of Brian Thompson, an innocent man and father of two young children, with a premeditated, cold blooded assassination that shocked America. After careful consideration, I have directed federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty in this case as we carry out President Trump's agenda to stop violent crime and make America safe again. It's an extraordinary instruction given he has yet to be convicted.
Speaker 2: All of that is still underway.
Speaker 1: But of course the deranged left who have enshrine Luigi Mangioni as this incredible anti capitalist taking down the system by murdering a corporate businessman in cold blood. They've made an absolute hero out of this guy. And so upon this announcement from Attorney General Pam Bondi, the usual looney left have taken to their social media to make known their disgrundlement.
Speaker 4: We love Luigi's let's pull out a question card here randomly, what makes life worth living?
Speaker 2: Luigi jumped there to hold on to that card. Oh oh, that's that's awful. It's awful, this is this is it's a joke game, it's comedy, right, it's nae. Let's see what this one has to say.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, oh, that's terrible. Calling for the assassination of President Johnald Trump because you know, it's actually perfectly okay to the deranged left that it's totally acceptable to get around shooting corporate businessmen in.
Speaker 2: The cold, hard light of day.
Speaker 1: According to them, that makes him a hero and renewed calls now for President Trump's assassinations simply because they're asking for the death penalty, which we know is oh, wouldn't go so far as to say common in the United States of America, but they still have death rows in several states.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because this is federal charges, And my understanding of the reason they charged him federally as opposed to in New York was specifically to open up the possibility of death penalty, right because they don't have the death penalty in New York, so there are certain circumstances where you can be charged federally. And I think what they're using here is to say that it's an act of terror, and that then opens up the possibility of facing the death penalty. But is it not extraordinary for an attorney general to come out and say that someone has murdered someone before they've even been convicted. Maybe they do things differently in the United States, But as far as I'm aware, that's prejudicial, I.
Speaker 4: Think you can. I think if I don't know, I'm not a lawyer, I'm an art student. I spent my entire university years just kicking back on Scabe's infested rotting beds. But I think you can say we are prosecuting this person, this is our case, and we will be seeking the death penalty. I don't think.
Speaker 2: But she said his murder of Brian Thompson, she said that he murdered him, not.
Speaker 4: Not alleged his murder of bread, this is this is the case that we're going to be making and so but yeah, maybe maybe it's a little bit cut before the hospital. I just trotskyite humor. I just don't understand it. Like the little kind of crazy lefties on Twitter who think that, you know, what are they doing? They're starting a revolution now or something. It reminds me, you know, is this male's cultural revolution again, where just everyone just kill all our elders, kill all the kill the teachers, kill the professors, kill the rich, eat the rich. That I do not understand. But also I was just wondering, imagine if the CEO that was shot allegedly by Luigi Manoni in cold Blood was a woman, or imagine if it was a black man, or imagine if it was any other monery, Like what would they do then? Would it still be totally justifiable because because there are plenty of females well out there, will they'd be women get jobs now in the workforce. I'm not sure if the left is aware of this, but you know, some of their hard work is paid off.
Speaker 2: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: We have had this discussion many times when James McPherson is here on this disc about the death penalties are the viewers at home, no were Liz and I stand, how do you feel about the death pinny?
Speaker 4: I don't look. I think it's like I don't really care about Luigi MANNGIONI. I think he's an absolute nutter allegedly, and I certainly wouldn't die on a hill trying to defend his right not to die in prison. But I don't think. I don't like the death money for a couple of reasons. One is it's inefficient because if you get the death penalty, then you basically exhaust every possible level, every avenue for appeal. You tie up lawyers whose time could be better spent elsewhere, probably defending less murderous types on combing through anything that might justify a retrial or redamination of the case, a podcast perhaps, remember that. So that's a problem with as well. And also it just you know, like imagine if and there have been cases where people you know, been convicted of murders and then science has evolved to the point where DNA evidence can now prove that they didn't do it.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: If they've been you know, they've been fried in the electric chair, that was what that wasn't what Bob Carr always said I was, and he said no, And I said why not? He goes, what if you get it wrong enough?
Speaker 2: Reason, I've always thought it's.
Speaker 4: Too good for them anyway, Why I give them all the glamor and everything.
Speaker 3: I've thought for a long time that we've sort of scientifically got to the point now where you can moral lesk convict.
Speaker 2: Someone beyond any doubt like the d and.
Speaker 3: There are the tech that we've got enabled to be able to do it now is better than it's ever been. But one thing that has been playing on my mind recently is the advent of AI and the idea that you know, you could previously say in the court room, here's the CCTV vision that shows this specific man killing this specific man.
Speaker 2: Like you've got him. It's all over.
Speaker 3: But now with the advent of AI, and it gets better and better and better every day, do we start getting into territory where you can entirely fabricate.
Speaker 2: Evidence that could be used to convict them.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and that has been done in the past, long before we had this kind of technology. If the powers that be one to get you, they can set up any amount of evidence or discard any amount of evidence or behind the scenes make it so that certain evidence never makes it into the courtroom. So yeah, someone like myself who is obsessed with dark government and all the many things that go on behind closed doors. Historically, dating all the way back to the fifties with the birth of the CIA post World War Two, in insane, unspeakable things have been done by what we've always perceived to be the good guys. And in those cases, again, people have no way at the time of differentiating between what is real and what is false, and therefore the narrow tive of the day, which again is pushed by the powers that be through the media, through the government at the time, this is how they get rid of people who are going to squeal, et cetera, and so on. So that is definitely a strong case against the death penalty. But when it comes to rapists, when it comes to pedophiles, I'm just like.
Speaker 2: Get it done, guys.
Speaker 1: So Joe's Joe's misgivings with penalty when they.
Speaker 4: Just quickly I'm on an unrelated note, all those videos of me doing dodgy things circulating from there, they're all.
Speaker 3: That's the one David spears the for opposition leader, which South Australia tried to reven video came out of how you feel mate was a white powder and brother you said it was ai and then pleaded guilty to supply drugs.
Speaker 2: So we're all that landed.
Speaker 4: It was a accidutely the.
Speaker 2: More the old world we live in.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Murphy, we talked last week about the fact that the Albanzi government invited influences to be part of the federal budget lock up, and the Labor Party actually paid for the accommodation and flights of some influencers to go along and.
Speaker 2: Cover the federal budget.
Speaker 3: And you'd think, well, if you're being paid to be there by the Labor Party, they're probably expecting you to give them some positive press.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, one influencer and she says she has not been paid by the Labor Party. I'll take her at face value for this, but she's come under the scrutiny of the Electoral Commission. Abbi Chatfield is her name. She is one of the biggest influencers in the country right now. She's recently done interviews with the Prime Minister Anthony Albanesi and the Greens leader Adam Bant. Now she posted these two social media along with other videos where she essentially explained labor policy and endorsed the Labor Party and said you should put the liberals last, etc. And so there was a question last week in the Senate as to whether this actually constitutes a lie advertising and ought to have an endorsement on it.
Speaker 2: I'll show you a few of the videos. This is one of Abby with the Prime Minister Dune's nuclear plant. Did everyone laugh when they heard it for the first time?
Speaker 3: What's going on there?
Speaker 2: It's a fantasy.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine this bloke ever thinking or getting a policy that was aimed solely at women to reproductive health?
Speaker 5: He hasn't and he won't.
Speaker 2: There I know. And Adam Band. We have the incredible leader of the Greens, Adam Bands. Who is Adam Band? We thought we'd ask someone who knows you very well, and it's Peter Duttonham getting.
Speaker 4: How is Peter Dunton's war on going to help you pay the rent and won't or help you with the increase morgage? You won't, the.
Speaker 3: Incredible leader Adam mad Now the AEC has cleared her over these posts. They've seid their genuine commentary and I think that's probably the right decision. Just as I can sit here on TV and say that I endorse a particular government or a particular party, and that is editorial comment, an influencer should be able to do the same. But interestingly, the AAC is still looking into whether some of these posts posts sorry, may have breached the rules because on Instagram you can co post right, so two people can be linked on the same post as though they are posting it together, and Abbi Chatfield has done this with Adam Band and Anthony Albanisi, so they are essentially posting what could be considered election material together, and the AAC is looking into whether that ought to have an authorization on it because it is essentially political advertising. It's in this new media world, the social media world. We are moving into murky territory here. And like I said last week, I've got no problem with an influencer or whoever it is, showing up and reporting on something if they want to, as long as they're not being paid for it. But it is opening up a serious discussion about why real commentary in media.
Speaker 2: Who is looking like in the new.
Speaker 1: Work, Well, I don't think anyone prior to this was in the dark about where Abbi Chatfields stood politically. I mean, nobody is surprised that she's having elbow on, She's having Adam bant on. These are guys that she's cheered on in the past. She is a lefty and she's backing her team.
Speaker 2: She's got over.
Speaker 1: Half a million followers and she's using that clout in the upcoming election to ensure that her guys are seen by her followers and with regards to them.
Speaker 4: This is just smart.
Speaker 1: This is a younger audience, especially in Australia, completely disengaged from politics, but they follow Abbi Chatfield and her I would say, in my humble opinion, degenerate content. But here she's ventured into politics and she wants everyone to know where she's putting her vote. And we've seen countless movie stars, sports stars do this over it's relatively knew, but they've started doing this very much in the American elections we've seen in the past. It's creeping into Australian culture as well. It's just smart and whether or not it has an authorization on it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to her kind of audience.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I completely agree. I think it's it's ridiculous. It was never going to be something that required authorization. The authorization rules are there basically to apply to political advertising, so any paid spots in the media, and it's particular, it's particularly to discern so that people can discern where it's actually coming from. So if you've got someone staying next to Anthie Albanese saying I reckon Anthe Albanese is great for Anthie Alberesi, doesn't take much brains to figure out that that's probably being promoted by Anthony Alberanesi or someone who supports the Labor Party. Where the authorization rules come in particularly handy is when you are trying to sort of if you're making a claim about something, did you know that Peter has a secret share portfolio who's not telling you about or whatever? And you go, oh, I didn't know that. I wonder where that came from? Authorized by the ALP camera and so that is why that is why that's there, So that if something if it is unclear as to who is trying making a particular assertion or allegation about someone in an election campaign, you know where that's coming from and you're not confusing it with real news. I don't think anyone would confuse Abby Chatfield.
Speaker 3: This is very organic, very quickly, before we get to a break, that the poor state politicians in South Australia are in trouble. Apparently they've been parking illegally at the front of Parliament the House too much and they've been a scan.
Speaker 2: By the Parliament telling them do not do this. We will not be covering your fines. This is not okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, for heaven's sake, I have to say that they already have parking provided in the city.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure why they need to park illegally out.
Speaker 3: The front of Parliament House, but they ain't going to get away with it, just as you and I don't get away with it, and that seems fair enough to me. After the break, we'll get into the papers. Anthony Albanezi has a big tax promise for trade.
Speaker 2: ES will tell you what it is after this. Of course, the story of the.
Speaker 3: Day has been Trump's tariffs and it carries on on tomorrow's os Li's it does.
Speaker 1: Indeed, PM seeks critical minerals path out of tariff's one hundred percent disorder, reads the Splash. Anthony Albertezi is working on a plan to stockpile key critical minerals to use a strategic leverage with Donald Trump amid expectations the US president could remove the ten percent tariff on Australian products within months. The Australian can reveal the Trump administration is considering a tariff deal with Camera that would incorporate a critical minerals agreement designed to address US strategic priorities. Now this is what I'm talking about. If you want an exemption or anything close to it, what levery do you have Australia instead of chucking a tanty like you did initially, this is what you should.
Speaker 2: Have always done.
Speaker 1: What do we have that they might want that we can use as leverage to get ourselves a better deal. It took him a few days, but they got there.
Speaker 3: And that's essentially they have been that motus operandi the whole time, hasn't you You used the tariffs's leverage to get something out of another country and then when they deliver it, you whack the tariff off and away we go.
Speaker 4: The exactly work for Ukraine. And now it's where we've asked it's the exact same stuff, critical memories. But look, he has been saying that they've been playing this for a long time, and I think they've been pretty you know, they've been They've been pretty cool headed about it. I haven't been going too crazy. At least the PM hasn't challenged him to fisty cuffs.
Speaker 3: I'd pay to see that. That would that would be a serious fight to watch. Get Greg Norman involved in it as well.
Speaker 1: I reckon, oh, Greg, Yeah, the ultimate go between Trump's middleman to the second headline stumbling PM seismic nook scare tactic.
Speaker 2: Will it work?
Speaker 1: Anthony Albanizias suggested residents in the New South Wales Hunter Valley would be in danger under the coalition's energy policy, declaring a major earthquake in the region more than thirty years ago, shoot, it was the last place a new Clear reactor should be built.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: Our opponents need to find six hundred billion dollars to pay for their new Clear reactors. I was in Young Labor at the time when that earthquake devastated this community. This is the last place you put a new Clear reactor. There will be no no Claire under our government. Hire laid, says Anthony Albanesi in the Hunter Valley. Do you think that people in the Hunter are actually worried about that?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: I think people in the Hunter are worried about where jobs come from, and they understand energy jobs more than probably anyone else in the country indeed, to be perfectly honest, but it's almost as though he's talking about this as though if it got to the stage where we were seriously looking at building nuclear plants, that you wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: To go to the inter A.
Speaker 3: Sure all of this stuff up in order to happen. We we just wake up one day. Is a bloody plogt There no no barn, Middle studies.
Speaker 4: Toad a god. So yeah. So the modern nuclear actors, I think the Fushema reactors there was an issue obviously with the earthquake in Japan, but that's because they were built decades and decades and decades ago, very old. And also my understanding is that all the ones that are built now are earthquake proof and they have the reactors kind of believe they actually have them floating in water, so even if outside around them kind of shakes and everything, it doesn't impact the actual reactor itself because it's sort of floating there. I'm not a nuclear scientist, as you know about. Remember when Asia the Foo Kashima stuff happened and everyone was saying, this is why we can't have nuclear There are all these experts coming out and say, oh no, the modern mones are totally fine, but seismic activity in the Hunter is a real concern because, as you can see by the photo that they ran with that particular story, there was an incredibly localized earthquakes just underneath the Prime Minister's feet finished giving it.
Speaker 2: And well we'll show you that vision a little less.
Speaker 3: It would have been a bigger, bigger earthquake if he hadn't lost all that Wait a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Ye, do still mean picking on someone for tripping over?
Speaker 2: He doesn't. I'm not going on it.
Speaker 4: I'm not picking on him. Remember John Howard tripped. He brought it up Joe John Howard tripped over I think in nineteen ninety six and won about twenty seats.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: But of course at the time they made it out like this was the end of the campaign. He's fallen over in the campaigns.
Speaker 1: Then he got all the pity votes and under I don't.
Speaker 2: Know that we've seen that a bit.
Speaker 4: Why do we fall down, Master Bruce, so we can learn to pick ourselves up again. Yes, that's right. Anthey, Albeasy is batman. Anyway, let's go to the mighty Daily Telegraph, an absolute cracker of yarn on the front page. Speaking of which, anything you can do, get it. I aren't going to do better. Rivals, Jewel over Western Sydney, Tradees, tradees and other small businesses will be promised an instant twenty thousand dollars asset right off Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi at today's Future Western Sydney event at Blacktown, which I will be going to thank you very much. I'll see both Albo and dot O there. Cannot wait. It's going to be awesome. But his pledge fall short of the thirty thousand dollars permanent incidant right off pledged by Opposition leader Peter Dutton, who will today also unveil an extra two hundred million in Western Sydney road funding. So it's great. We've got a bidding war over who's going to do more from Western Sydney, which is exactly the point of these forums we have, which is the future the future Western Sydney thing, which is in Blacktown, I think, as I mentioned, and it's going to be a massive event. Albow and Darton are both going to be delivering a speech and if that doesn't float your boat, I will also be speaking. Oh in compensation, I am.
Speaker 2: I'm convinced.
Speaker 3: If there's already an offer on the table and then you're like, we'll get two thirds of the way there, is.
Speaker 2: It really an impressive thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, Scott Morrison did twenty grand instant right off back in twenty nine nineteen, and then in twenty twenty mid COVID he made it twenty five grand. So duttens up in that to thirty and saying he'll make it permanent, and Albo comes in and says, old, what scomo six years ago?
Speaker 1: Well, the other guy's given us more. Obviously, votes don't come cheap. And whoever is in the whoever's aware of these announcements, which is always my biggest thing. I don't know how much attended people are actually baying.
Speaker 2: That's going to kinch their deal.
Speaker 1: If that you if you were a trade in Western Sydney, Dutton just got your Dutton just got your vote.
Speaker 4: There obviously the whole package of stuff. Like you know, Albo's also doing free tay for everybody. So traders and builders and stuff who have got an apprentice shortage, they're going to be looking that. Actually maybe that might be better for it. But it's great to say that if.
Speaker 3: We had Tony's Trade's that was Tony Abbott's thing.
Speaker 2: What are we going to have the elbows artist.
Speaker 4: Howard Battler's Tony's tradees and elbows awesome tasker.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I don't think that.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the Gold Coast bulletin tomorrow. Interesting story here Meir calls for bed tax on tourists. Your snooze, you lose, says the Gold Coast bully meyor Tom Tate wants a bed tax imposed on visitors to the Gold Coast, saying it is needed to pay for tourist infrastructure. However, a hotel's boss blasted the idea as a self defeating tariff.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering whether he's just looked over to the US and gone, oh.
Speaker 4: Tax, Why would you Gold Coast Liberation days?
Speaker 3: But why would you voluntarily make it more expensive for a tourist to come to your region?
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: No, and obviously everyone who's going to be copying the effects.
Speaker 4: Of this is like, excuse me, what?
Speaker 2: Also, since when does the.
Speaker 1: Mayor impose these kinds of things. When we think of these extra taxes, it's usually the Feds or the state governments.
Speaker 4: Now we've got a mayor weighing in being like.
Speaker 1: Oh, we're a local government idea, we've decided No, it just doesn't make sense, especially given of course Gold Coast he's most known for its massive tourist attractions, so I don't think he's made anyone in his constituency happy with this announcement.
Speaker 4: The media maids maybe they have to pay bed Tech. And finally, in the Mercury, the Tasmanian Mercury hobout Mercury cross Bench crosshairs MPs take labor to task over stadium support. This is a huge issue in Tazzy about this huge if old stadium in Quari Point that's being built. A whole bunch of hippies and lefties are saying, hang on it, no, we should be spending all the money on housing, so we'll never have any football ever again because of housing. Anyway. Ten of parliaments cross Bench MP's have condemned Labor for its decision to unconditionally back the proposed Macquarie Points stadium, prompting a furious response from Dean Winter. Go Labor, what a patriotic decision we need in tazzy forty forty forty forty footy and if there's time more footy, absolutely I a love it more than Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Any any part of the country where you can get more Ossie rules footy into the place, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Spread it far and wide across the country.
Speaker 3: While we're talking about ossie rules football, it's verboten to change your team. You simply can't do it. But would you believe one liberal politician has We'll tell you who it is and why after the break. Jane Hume, what are you thinking? The Liberal senator for Victoria is a renowned and Kilda Football Club fan. You can see her here with her kid scarf on. Everyone knows she's a Saints fan and that's good. Well, I mean, apart from the fact that they haven't won a premiership for fifty nine years. But that may explain why she's instead decided today to put on Hawk's scaf Because, of course, she was in on Territory at glen Ferry that if the Libs win there will be money coming in for an Oval upgrade. You can't do it like it's one of those you're just not able to change your football team. When I moved from Adelaide to the Herald Son in Melbourne, I had people coming up to me in the newsroom saying it should have been written in your contract that you had to pick a Melbourne team when you moved over here.
Speaker 2: There is no way. It's like saying you've got a favorite kid, like you just can not change.
Speaker 4: We all do, but we don't. Absolutely right. This is disgraceful behavior. It is UnAustralian. It's even worse, it's Unvictoriano. Yes, yes, that's right. I've got a mate, one of my best mates move on from Melbourne. Originally one of my best mates moved from Sydney to Melbourne just so we could go for the Swans. Still going for the Swans, still rocking up and Jane's there. Just I mean, you think you know.
Speaker 1: Someone unbelievable for shame Jane Hume before we.
Speaker 2: Leave, you ton't.
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister has taken a tumble today when he was posing for photos after a speaking engagement in Cessnock. Here it is.
Speaker 3: Photos with everyone.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel terrible even bringing this up because I'm the kind of person who does that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Every other day.
Speaker 1: But here he was in the RVO on ABC Radio and Newcastle assuring everyone he's absolutely fine.
Speaker 5: We saw that you fell from the stage and says not this afternoon, are you okay?
Speaker 2: No, I stepped back one step.
Speaker 5: I didn't fall off the stage, just one leg went down, but I was sweet.
Speaker 4: Reminds me of that song.
Speaker 2: I got back down, but I got up again. God, John, I've gone.
Speaker 4: That's him, the song of ourminds me of Neil Armstrong. One small step from man, one giant leap for a prime minister.
Speaker 2: But how can he say he didn't fall? I mean we all mind the footage there, mate. If you can't be if you can't even tell the truth about whether that's it for us this week? Up next to the reader Panecky shirt.
Speaker 3: Good night