Speaker 1: Hi, my Boris, and this is straight talk. You mind if I just quickly sort of scratch around Eric Banner a little bit. Where were you born?
Speaker 2: I was born in Melbourne, YEP, in a place called Malvin. My mum was a hairdresser, so I grew up in the back of a hairdressing salon for the first few years of my life, and then we moved to Talamarin and I pretty much spent my childhood in Talla out near the airport.
Speaker 1: Both you folks from Croatia.
Speaker 3: Dad's from Croatian months from Germany.
Speaker 1: So your actual surname is not Banner.
Speaker 2: A lot of oos Is make it Banadanovitch. I don't know why, but there's an I in the it's bean Adinovich.
Speaker 1: I mean I look at it structurally, you look like someone from Croatia because like Croatians. I think Serbians a like on average of the Croatians similar sort of backgrounds are the tallest men in the world on average, and you're a tall guy. You've got that sort of build. How often does do the people who are casting for movies and shows that you might go in, how often do they look at your physique and actually cast you around your physic and your drawl on your face, the whole look.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll never know. I never asked a question. I think I've been quite lucky that.
Speaker 2: My look can kind of go both ways, you know, Like if you look at some of the films that I've been in, I've been able to go sort of European and I've been able to go non European. So I never overthought it, to be honest. But there's a certain physicality you can't get away from, you know, So there's always going to be a bent, you know, in terms of the stuff that you're offered. It would be very easy for me to have done nothing but very very physical films, which doesn't interest me. So you have to work consciously to not play against that, but to just kind of temper that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean, one thing that comes straight to my mind is Chopper, you put a lot of weight on relatively speaking whis of how you're sitting here today, But you put a lot of weight on for probably a lot younger too, when you were younger. Yeah, my god, you looked exactly like him though, thanks mate, I'm serious, And you actually came across like him too. Yeah, leg was amazing. How is that? I don't know only about acting, but is that called method acting?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 1: Did you spend time with the dude to find out how he was? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't like to put the label method acting on it because then I'd find out that you know, it's not method actor or it is. So I just go with what works for me, and what works for me. First of all is having a lot of time to prep, Like you can't call me and say we're filming next month. I'm going to pass on that project, like I need things to marinate up here for as.
Speaker 3: Long as possible.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I have to respond immediately, like when I read something or someone approaches me for a job, I know straight away instinctively whether I feel as though I can become that person, and if it's if it's a no, it's a no. It doesn't matter what the project is, who's in a who's directing it, how much it is. If I don't get that response, I'm out with Chopper. I for some reason, just immediately felt like I could become him, even before I'd started doing any research, and there wasn't a lot of material on him available at the time. But I'd seen a couple of interviews, so it was just a lot of research, Mate.
Speaker 4: And we were ready.
Speaker 2: We were getting close to start filming. We were in early stages of pre production. The film got postponed because of the el mcfeast interview years ago when Chopper went on air slightly drunk and told stories. So I had that worked in my favor because it meant it gave me about another twelve months to prepare. So it was a combination of things, reading everything I could, watching everything I could, spending time with him, Andrew the director, and I went down to Tazzy and hang out with him for a few days, and then trying to come up with a version in my head that would work on screen, because you know, doing any impersonation is not enough, like it has to be believable, has to.
Speaker 3: Be something else.
Speaker 2: So a lot of it's just up here, and I can't explain everything that goes on up there impersonations.
Speaker 1: You're right, it's not enough. Otherwise it probably doesn't come across quite good enough in terms of excellence impersonation is It's quite interesting then that when I was reading somewhere that when you're a kid, a little kid, you did impersonations. Whether or not it's true or not, I don't know, but like just to get laugh paps or maybe get an audience. Like personation, is that something you know you're good at, Like in terms of personations, like how you physically stand, how you speak, the sound of your language, the accent and your language, you know, the intonations and all that sort of stuff. That's something that you love doing.
Speaker 3: It's something that comes naturally.
Speaker 2: And my son has it as well, which is really funny to see that being passed down. It's just it's not something I've taught him. It's just in him, like straight away. So I did it as a kid. I probably use it to get out of trouble mainly, you know, to get in trouble at school and then get out of trouble at school.
Speaker 3: Occasionally would have t just come.
Speaker 2: Up to me on the slide say could you do you do a good mister salence?
Speaker 5: Could you do it for me?
Speaker 1: Serious?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah wow.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 2: My grandfather was very encouraging of it. And then I grew up, you know, watching a lot of TV as a kid and watching a lot of American shows and British shows and just trying to do the different accents and stuff. So it was something I was doing without really being overly conscious of, without knowing that it was kind of good training for the future.
Speaker 1: So when you given that that's something you that's a skill you have, it's the thing you enjoy, it's something you grew up doing. When you've got to go and play a role like Hector, for example, in Troy, I've always been upset that Hector gets nailed, seriously, like he's like a fucking superhero, like you know, like he's the best fighter for Troy's God and he is not unfairly I thought anyway. But when you go to take that role on, does do you then sort of put yourself into the mindset of someone like that, how you would interpret how Hector is was because obviously you had to see a chop, a live is around, Hector hasn't been gone for a long long time. How do you get yourself into that role? Like how do you start to think, how am I going to impersonate what the audience would think Hector is like? Or are you saying I'm going to take to the audience who I think Hectors like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a combination of everything, so you know, talk with the director, go to the source material, look at the script. And then for Hector was really just just primarily for me about just pure leadership, like leadership like a man leading an army and the army loving him, you know, being being the ultimate you know, type a warrior who had a heart as well. He just seemed when I read the script, I thought, there's something about him. It's not just type a you know, rah rah rah.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: I read all kinds of like I remember reading in the Vander Holyfield book preparing for that, like a book on Romulus, all kinds of different things, just to try and get different perspectives on leadership and battle. And then you know, going to that place. And you had again, I had a really good amount of time to prepare for that for that film. Wolfgang Peters in our director cast quite early. Brad was on board first and then and then it was myself, and so I had a good amount of time to prepare, which I needed a lot of horse riding, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of fighting and are you doing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You had to learn how to how to bear back and all that sort of stuff. So I mean, and it's just the best part of the job, which is going back to before. Like if you said to me, the film starts next month, are you on. One of the reasons I say no is because, to me, someone who didn't study tertiary education, one of the highlights is that I get to go to school almost every time I get it, I get a job, you know, And that's that's my kind of favorite part of the job, is going away and learning and doing the research. So then when I walk on set, I feel like I'm prepared and I don't want to rush that because that's that's the gift. And if you don't have that period of time, you can feel underdone or paranoid or whatever.
Speaker 1: And that'll come across I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at the end of the day, even if you don't like the film, he's the most important thing for me. What matters is that I believe in what I'm doing, because if I don't, I can't expect you to buy that for a second. And you won't buy that for a second. You'll see through that. So if I can just feel it myself and at least make what I'm doing convincing, I can't control a lot of the other elements. But I can at least hope that whilst I'm on screen, you at least believe what I'm doing. That's what's really important to me.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I have actually read some reviews as other movies you've been in, and sometimes they might not have done as brilliantly as everybody expected them to do relative to cost and all that sort stuff. I'm talking financially, but a lot of the reviewers said, but Banner did blah blah blah. In other words, you shone in terms of your role and what's really into you just talked about leadership. I'm just wondering to myself, is acting out a role, for example, Hector, or even Choper for that matter, is acting out a role for say, someone like yourself. Is it about finding that one virtue or those two virtues in the case of Hector leadership, how can I express how can you express that particular virtue? Because virtue is what stick to us. I mean, I love seeing a virtue in somebody or something like actually over extended nearly, like glaringly. And now I'm thinking about Hector. Yeah, and I never thought about a time, But that's what's stuck to me. Now you've explained it to me, do you actually go looking for the virtue and then try and express it really strongly and we will talk about how you've done it and dry, because there's virtues coming out of that as well. But just on Hector, is that something useful?
Speaker 3: It's got to be in the source material.
Speaker 2: It's hard to just construct it out of thin air. Has to be there on the page. But then you're trying to add to and then you're trying to work out a way of tapping into what's there and amplifying it all, you know, coming up with a different version of it. A lot of it comes from conversations with the director and you hope you're on the same page. And then just I think a lot of it's instinctual. I probably don't overthink it, to be honest, And then you know you've got to get there on the day and have a play and try different things and some things will work and some things won't, and you just got to experiment.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're just natural virtues for you. I mean maybe if you don't overthink it, So if you're not specifically looking for it, perhaps maybe am I just putting this to you? Perhaps these are just natural instincts for you. I mean, maybe you saw a lot of leadership in your life. Could have been your dad, it could have been anybody's school teacher. Whatever. Do you think that virtues are important to you know all usually leadership, strength of character, you know, respect, blah blah blah, those sorts of things. A lot of these come out in your character. By the way, Aaron's he has a lot of these virtues. Are they natural things for you? Do you think today if we just talk about that for.
Speaker 2: A second, I'm definitely mindful of them one hundred percent, you know, as a as a parent, and I love them, and I love those virtues in my sporting heroes as well. It's not just enough for them to be really really good at what they do. I'm looking for something else and not just skilled, not just skilled, Yeah, I'm looking for something else that enables them to carry the team, you know, and lead by example and just have that little X factor that's a little bit different to the guy that's just being able to do whatever they can do.
Speaker 3: So yeah, maybe maybe a bit of it comes from my dad.
Speaker 2: Or you know, other people that I that I've noticed as I was, as I was growing up or so I guess subconsciously there's probably a connection between you know, that ideal and some of some of the characters.
Speaker 4: I've played some.
Speaker 2: Really awful characters too, like I've played I've played some absolute shockers who don't really have that side to them, and that that comes quite easily as well, which is a bit scary, right, So it's not always the case, but I guess there is a bit of a connection because.
Speaker 1: I don't want to get back to chop again, but some people considering to be not a nice person. But what's interesting about the way you play You made him likable. He's funny, He's.
Speaker 2: Not getting around that, like you can't hide from that. It's what made the film quite controversial at the time, you know, because people were uncomfortable with people laughing in the cinema at moments when they just technically shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's holding a gun at someone, or you're getting stabbed or whatever.
Speaker 3: That was him like that.
Speaker 2: That was the easiest part to play because he was one of the funniest people you'd ever come across. And in terms of reading a room mate, forget it. In terms of like distilling a character in three seconds. To this day, I've never met anyone who could look at a bunch of people and just have their measure within seconds. You know exactly what you're thinking, know how to manipulate you mentally, just unbelievable. So that's there. So you just try and work out, well, how do I how do I capture that? I remember being so exhausted after I spent a couple of days with him, and I was like, how do I capture that? How do I capture that energy sucking persona someone you know? So again, it has to be on the page.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If you don't have the words to do that, if you don't have the freedom to try and exude that, you're you're limited.
Speaker 1: What do you mean on the page? How do you mean?
Speaker 2: So you can have all the intentions in the world. But if the script doesn't have the basic elements of a good story, if there are holes in the scene, if there are things that don't work, they don't work and you can't fix them on the day. Usually I like to have a crack at it if a scene's not working on the data to say hey, this is a bit long, or this is a bit boring, or this just doesn't work, and that that comes with time, also comes from a stand up background, because when you're on stage, if your material shit, guess what you know about it really quickly and you better fix it before the.
Speaker 3: Next gig, you know.
Speaker 2: So you need that rigor sometimes in filmmaking as well, because I don't want to come back in six months and reshoot this scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's more of a practical outcome, So I.
Speaker 2: Can be a bit a bit pragmatic in that in that sense, but yeah, it has to be. It has to be right on the page, and so the script you hope is the best it can possibly be before you arrive, because you know, there's not a whole lot of time to be meddling with that stuff. Once you're up and running.
Speaker 1: You sound like you've got a really good family life, a really good family, and you've definitely got a great brother. Grace is a great mum. Your dad's of course passed away. You've got your family's got a really good reputation. Then there's Ben Fordham, though, who has to build his own position. You know, you're doing all the things early days. You know, we've got went to camber be a political correspondent, all that sort of stuff. But there's Ben who comes along into Channel nine. Back to Channel nine many years later. It probably knew late thirties, I guess. And you started doing feelings for Carl and then you did the Today Show for a while. Then you did Ninja Yeah, Australian Nina Ninja Warrior. You weren't really doing what you're doing now. You were sort of, but it looked like someone was, someone from above was preparing you for all these things during that period, though. Did you ever feel unstable? Did you ever feel like I want my own gig, I want my own You were happy just because you're sort of like a feeling dude to me.
Speaker 4: I did. What happened is I was offered two great jobs at the same time, drivetime host on two GB that's in the afternoon yep, and being the sports guy on the Today Show on Channel nine alongside Carl and Lisa and Georgie and Richard Wilkins two at the same time, one in the morning, one in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: I said I'll do both yeah, which worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I did it for four years. I said to Jodie, I only do it for a year. I did it for four years, and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Did you do that the time? You did that? Only for four years?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, No, I did Did it for longer?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I thought so, but I but I did so. I was wake up in the morning doing three and a half hours of Today Show and then three hours of Drive Time in the afternoon, a lot of broadcasting. But I thought, no, I'd take every opportunity as it comes, and if there was someone above who was kind of looking out for me or there probably are a few of those people. David Ginjel is one of them. David Ginjel, who when he was running Channel nine was a great friend of mine and also a great boss. But he also knew that I loved radio. So one stage, I said.
Speaker 1: Mate, there's also a great fan of yours.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I said to Ginge, look, I want to go and do this, and that means I'm going to leave the Today Show. And he goes, well, let's not make any drastic decisions. I said, no, I just want to focus full time on the whatever I did. He'd eventually, he tried and talk me out of it, but then he'd eventually he'd come on board and he'd support me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: So Tom Malone is another one, who's my boss at nine Radio. He used to be the boss at the Today Show. A bit of a lesson there as well. Dad, you saw always say be good to work experience kids because one day one of them will become your boss. Tommy was my work experience kid. He was one, really yep, and he's now been my boss twice, once at the Today Show, once at nine Radio. So thankfully I was good to him when he was a work experience kid. Yeah, Ginge kind of was very good to me in allowing me to chase my dream in radio, and you know, I got my own show doing the drivetime thing. And then all of a sudden Tom said to me one day, mate, Alan Jones is retiring and we need you to step into breakfast And I said, no, I think six times. But Tom then basically he showed me a chart that showed me the success of my show in the afternoon on Drive and the revenue that came to it. And he said, and it was successful, and he said, we need that at the start of the day. And in the end I thought, I trust Tom, I trust my mum, I trust my brother, I trust my sister, I trust my wife. They all think it's a good idea. I think it's a shit idea. Maybe they're right and maybe I'm wrong. And it went against everything in my DNA because I trust my instinct Mark, but on this one I went hang on a moment, and this was a lesson for me as well. Why is my instinct any more accurate than theirs. There's five of them, there's one on me. Five of them think it's a good idea. One thinks it's a bad idea. So I thought, you know what, I'm going to throw caution of the wind. I'm going to go with them. So I said, okay, I'll do it. And then on the Sunday before my first show, mum and my brother and my sister came around for breakfast and I started crying my eyes out over breakfast, like balling my eyes out in front of my children, in front of my wife, in front of my mom.
Speaker 1: And with anxiety.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And they said you're okay, and I said, no, I'm not okay because I didn't want to fucking do it. And I said I didn't want to do it, and now I'm doing this thing and I was.
Speaker 1: So pissed off about it with yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was like, I should have trusted myself and not caved into everyone else. And now I'm starting this thing, and I'm.
Speaker 1: You're leaving an award winning show and going into a show that.
Speaker 4: It Yeah, you know, and I'll tell you I mentioned David Ginjeel Right now. I'm going to make these numbers up because I'm not going to remembering ratings, radio ratings numbers and whatever. But say, Alan Jones finished on a sixteen sixteen percent share, which is pretty bloody good. Ginge was texting me the day before and he goes, good luck, mate, I'm with you, and I said, mate, hoping for the best, but expecting, you know, bracing for the worst. I thought, if I end up with an eight, you know, Alan was on sixteen, if I harve his audience, I mean, up on an eight, I'll be able to deal with that and then I'll climb from there. He wrote back. He goes, mate, I know you better than that, and he had like laughing face emojis. I said, man, I'm not joking. He goes, mate, I know you too well. I said, mate, I'm serious. I was bracing for that, and I think the first ratings came out and we rated seventy, we went up I think or either sixteen seven, and we stayed.
Speaker 1: I remember it was close, yeah, and I was like, and then.
Speaker 4: We went up and we certainly ended up going up above that sixteen. And now we've kind of stayed and no one.
Speaker 1: Left in turns of advertisers, advertisers, audience.
Speaker 4: And audience. No one left. More advertisers came because Alan had some advertising problems because there's some statements that he'd made. They got him in trouble. But now every ratings day or most ratings day, so I get a message from Ginge. So, mate, how's that eight going? You know?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I one of the great communicators.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was. I was worried, you know why am I risking all of this? And occasionally I ring tom My Boss and I go, you know what, you made a good call put me in there, because I reckon, I'm actually pretty.
Speaker 5: Good at this.
Speaker 1: How long have you been doing the Morning Tree? Three years now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So the Morning Show? I mean I listened to it. I'm unfortunately or fortunately I'm in the five thirty club, and in fact I'm at the four thirty club. But your five thirty club starts at five thirty club and I and I actually listened to Who's on before you know? It used to be Luke? Who's on before you Now?
Speaker 4: Who's on? Jeffreys? Jeffers used to be Luke Luke Great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you used to be. But Mike Jeffreys on there you're up nice and early. I know I am here. I'm in the car. So as soon as I get my car, I have the radio on in my house twenty four hours a day. And then now I get in the car in the morning, the first thing I was to turn the radio one. And because I just like the idea of company and you know, like you're you're one of the first people I hear talking. Was just comforting to me to know that there's someone that I know. I feel like you're talking to me. That's how it feels to me. Anyway, I do want to talk about some of the issues that we that you talk about. I want to and some of you get just still on that.
Speaker 4: I'm the same. Like when I go to sleep now I've become addicted. I need a voice in my ear.
Speaker 1: I need I need the noise. Yeah, I need something yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And so I listened to podcasts, but they can't be podcasts that are too interesting. Yeah, they might need to listen to in daylight hours because they keep me awake. So I listened to podcasts that I've already heard before, and it's that comforting voice, a conversation I'm already familiar with. So it's a powerful thing. It's a great it's a great gift that I have to be in people's homes, in people's beds, because some people to text me and go, I'm laying here next to my missus. Well right, yeah, yeah, But we're in a daily fight against Kyle and Jackie O in Sydney, and usually on the ratings day it's either me winning or then winning. And I'm number one at the moment, which means chances are by the time this podcast comes out, they'll be number one. Right, And we've just accepted that. Kyle and Jackie O accept that. I accept that, and we exchange nice messages amongst each other. But I reckon I work harder right, and this will get under skin. I reckon the reason what I work harder right, So I'm going to do. Kyle has got this Kyle extraordinary personality, right, he does, and he's captivating his controversial is everything. But guess what made I work harder? So hard work you can catch up to people around the edges?
Speaker 1: Did you have to catch up to him before we so?
Speaker 4: In other words, I don't know. I started at number one, yep. I stayed at number one for about a year, then they knocked me off. Then I came straight back up in the next survey, and then ever since it's a seesaw, right, and that's fine, number one, number two. There's lots of radio shows out there who never going to be number one, and saying the Sydney market where I work, some of these people and my friends who they might be number three, number four, they still do great shows. So I'm very lucky I started on the number one radio station in town. You know, I didn't build this thing. It's not like you. You've built this thing yourself, right. I turned up at a radio station that's got heaps of listeners.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about that, then, let's just talk about it's not it's a band for Botom show, got it, but it's not just Ben for them. So in your team, just explain to us how you go about building your show for tomorrow morning fragum and say what actually happened.
Speaker 4: What happens? Well, first of all, I have got the best team of producers, and I have consistently had the best team of producers in the country.
Speaker 1: What does a team of producers mean.
Speaker 4: Well, it means first of all, young talented people who helped me put a show together. But the way that I've done that is I've I created a work experience program when I started to GB because they didn't have one, Because I said, where are you going to find the superstars of tomorrow if you don't have a program. So we got rid of a couch and put a desk in there with a phone and a computer. And basically, anyone who wants to come and do one day of work experience on my radio show, they can come and do it one day. If they show promise, if we are interested in them, they can come back another day. And then from there it builds where we start giving them some paid work and then they go into a system of people who we know are there for when we need them. It's like a pathways.
Speaker 1: It's a discovery system for you.
Speaker 4: It's a discovery system, right because otherwise, what I noticed is that when I was working Channel nine, I was working at a Current Affair for years and years and years, and the boss there, David Hurley, who I love Hurls, used to walk out, Yah, Buris has quit, does anyone know anyone? And there'd be a thousand cvs sitting on his desk, but he didn't have time to go through them. I thought, I need a system. So I've got these brilliant producers, and you know, I've met some of them on street corners. I've met one of them was a talkback coller. He was a talkback caller who he turned into a producer. You never know where you're going to find them. And then we have a WhatsApp group, and I've got a rule which is if it's not in the WhatsApp group, it didn't happen. So it's like if you spot something. If you see something, you put it in the WhatsApp group. And then every night I then go through that WhatsApp group and I work out what all the options are and we put a show together. And then sometimes you wake up the next morning and the queen's died overnight. God rest his soul, and so you throw out the entire show and you start again on the morning. The Queen died. I think we managed to track down four prime ministers. So we had Scott Morrison, Tony Abbott, Kevin rud and another. I need to work out who the other one was. So easy, it's about chasing. Let's chase who can we get who can we sell a lot of it as dynamic and.
Speaker 1: So you go to a five point thirty. So just give us, by the way, give us an example of what happened so on that on that on the occasion. So the night before you probably got your show set, you had your talent set on you what's our group? And you know you've gone well and so go and chase this personality chase and you've started lining your talent up because you've got to fill up the hours for enough three and enough hours, Queen Dies, What time do you get to work that day?
Speaker 4: I woke up at normal time three ten yep and a young bo Spiro Chris, who works with me, one of your producers, teenager. He was doing the night shift for us. I also created a night role where someone works at night, so that if stuff happens at night, there across it. He put a note in the WhatsApp group saying all of the presenters on the BBC are wearing black right like us, Like us, that's a sign that the media is aware that the queen may have passed or is about to pass. So that was all I knew. All the BBC presenters are wearing bodies.
Speaker 1: So when you wake up a three time in the morning, is that the first thing you do is the first thing I see you pick up with your phone on my.
Speaker 4: Phone, I walk downstairs, have a look at what's going on, send a few messages back and then jump in the shower. So that morning I was like, okay, dump everything. We had to change everything, and then we need to we need people live out of London. I've just thought of the fourth Prime Minister. Was it's our current one album? So it was yeah, Albo, Scamo, Abbott Rad getting them on and sharing their reflections of.
Speaker 1: So what would happen though, So you would be would ring them all.
Speaker 4: I'd be on most of those guys. I'm texting them.
Speaker 1: You know them, So I.
Speaker 4: Text them and say sorry if you're just hearing this for the first time, but the Queen's passed away, I'd like to be able to talk to you about it on radio once you've gathered your thoughts or whatever, so my team will also be chasing. Like I'll give you another example of breaking news and the way it works. There was a girl in Western Australia called Cleo who went missing. She was taken out of a tent and I remember saying to my guys, listen, I want an update on this every day, and they'd say there's no update today. I'm like, I don't care. It's day fourteen. Where's Cleo. I still want to know, Like this little girl she's missing on the other side of the country, I want to know where she is. And then on about day eighteen, my producer at the time or executive producer at the time, wandered into the studio and just gave me a piece of paper. So I was in the middle of an interview about something else, say, I'm talking to Mark Blewis about interest rates, and they just come in to hand me a piece of paper and it's got West Australian Police and it's a statement about Cleo Smith. So I wrapped up the interview, said Mark, thanks for your time, appreciated. It's twenty five past seven. Now I've got this, and I just started reading it. Now. I don't know whether this is going to say that we've found her, we've discovered that something terrible has happened to you. I don't know. I haven't pre read it. And then I'm reading it and it gets to the part of the office is knocked on the went end of the room and I'll say, young lady, what's your name? And she didn't answer, and they said what's your name, sweetheart? And she said, my name is Cleo and that was written in this thing, and you go, holy moly, you know, like I just started to boreing my eyes out long on air because I've got little girls at home. You know. It was one of those moments of and then the whole show changes. Then I'm like, right, let's get Mick four on the South Wales's Police commissioner. Right, Mick, what with the WA? Because I thought I'm not going to get the bloke in WA. He's in the middle of this. Mick says, actually, I have contacted I've spoken to him. He's been bulling his eyes out, you know. Okay, we've got some new information. The WA police commissioner has been builing his eyes out. How do we know our mate Mick Fuller's told us he's jumped on the line, you know, so you just respond, You react, and you get as many different people and insights onto a story like that, and if you feel like you're there when it's all unfolding. And this goes back to the companionship thing. So many people wrote to me and said, mate, I couldn't get out of the car. I pull up a work twenty five past seven. I've got to be in there at seven third. Couldn't leave because you've got to listen to it. I want to listen to the radio is great like that. Radio is resilient like that that I can find something out at six twenty six and four seconds and I'm saying it at five seconds one second. It's as long as it takes it for you to open your mouth and you're saying it. The reason I moved more into radio because I'm a bit add and the reason I favored radio more than TV is in TV, you'd have to go, all right, we need to get the camera crew to go to Canarvon. Oh, we've got it there, have we got the link truck? How do we let it? You know, there's a lot of that stuff involved. In radio, Mate, there's something special like this, It just happens, just happens.
Speaker 6: Like you can go on to Rogan and pretty much talk about yourself for three hours and he'll just kind.
Speaker 1: Of let you yeah, which is sort of what yeah, both of us do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, exactly. We're not interested in having someone there to tell them what we think.
Speaker 1: That's a podcast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's how podcasts work. And that's why podcasts are in dex so much higher for women than they do for men. And that's why for us at mum and MEA, so much of our business is built on audio and on our podcast network.
Speaker 1: Can I go back to momome then? Just Yeah kicked off.
Speaker 6: Early two thousands, two thousand and eight, actually yeah, seven sorry, two thousand of yet started as a blog, yeap.
Speaker 1: Just me blogs is a thing. Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was just someone writing on the internet, really and it wasn't a personal blog, so it was always going to be about, you know, just what I wanted to write about, really, what I thought might be interesting to people, because back in that time there were women's women's websites were like they were very net specific. They were about cooking, or they're about gossip, or they're about fashion, or they're about parenting, and I was interested in all of these things, but I was also interested in news and pop culture, and every other woman I know was not just interested in one of those things. So it made sense to me to have a blog and then a website and our media company that covers all of those things, because this idea of women's issues through a different looking at the world through a female lens versus women's issues. All issues are women's issues, but what we do at Mum and mea I guess, is look at it through a female lens, because most of the media tends to look at it through a mail lens, just by virtue of the fact that most media companies, in fact, pretty much all media companies are run by man. So I just saw, you know, a gap in the market, and then I established that there was a market in that gap. And then I'd been growing an audience. But I was a one woman operator, and I was completely exhausted, and my husband had sold his business. He'd been in the liquor industry and he was looking for something to invest his time in, and he'd sold his company, and so he came on board as a co founder. After about eighteen months, and he said, let's try and monetize this in the next twelve months, or because I hadn't earn a cent in two years, or it's time to you know, it's going to be time to get another job, because we've got a mortgage to pay. And so he came on board and we did. We monetized it. We were profitable, I think in that first year, which was not as impressive as it sounds, because it was just him and me and we weren't earning any money. There was no else to pay, so we were profitable. But then we just slowly moved into a little tiny office and slowly started hiring people. And of course nobody wanted to really come and do this thing. The internet was still a bit untested, and yeah, we we just grew from there and now we've got about one hundred and fifty people, and yeah, we're sort of a pretty big not a small business anymore.
Speaker 1: When two people husband and wife's yeah, at the coffee table or whatever, the kitchen table, and often wonder about let's say, at that stage, husband wasn't involved and you were doing your blogs. Often what it is a blog for some people therapy that's.
Speaker 6: A really interesting it was for some people. I think what was amazing about the rise of blogging, particularly the parenting bloggers of around that time, which I never was, but I was very influenced by them. It was this very flourishing way of women to communicate to other women in a way where there was no gatekeeper, so there wasn't no edit, and there was no one saying, well, that's interesting to people or that's not interesting to people, and there was no goal is that going to be interesting to enough people to be able to monetize it through advertising. It was just women expressing how they felt about things, and it was an amazing time. It was fairly short lived, but it was an amazing time. And for me, I wasn't interested in writing personally, particularly, but I was interested in being the one. I'd been an editor for so long and then an editor in chief with lots of magazines under me ACP, and I'd been sort of managing people and teaching other people and editing other people for so long. I've spent a lot of my career climbing up the ladder because I'm very ambitious, but then realizing I don't really like it up there, and climbing back down and wanting to get back to the cold face without anyone between me and an audience, and just wanting to communicate directly. And that's what I love, And ironically I'm in the process of that at the moment again, de escalating, coming back to the cold face where I can just create directly for an audience.
Speaker 1: And what are the signs that you and your husband saw that either encouraged him or you to think how I'm going to He's going to take on the co founder role and we're going to monetize this. What did you say exactly? What it was?
Speaker 6: No, there were probably about ten thousand or more people coming every day to read what I was writing. I was doing about six posts a day on my own per day. Per day I was there were thousands of comments. I was moderating every single comment. Like I had no one to work for me. It was literally me walking around with my laptop in my house and then I had another baby during that time. But the reason that he realized there was something there is because I kept getting approached by private equity who wanted to start things and get me to run them for them.
Speaker 1: And he would come with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was something. There was a big thing at the time called Daily Candy Out of the US, which was a daily email that would like do a roundup of the best kind of deals and fashion things and various things. And so everyone wanted to to get into this women's digital space. And so I'd get Jason to come to these meetings with me and Jason Levine being my husband, and and you know, we went to a couple and it was like, why on earth would we go and work for these clowns to make something for women when I know how to do this. Let's just we're doing it like so that that's where he was like, well, if they can see something in it. And he was starting at Harvard at the time, and he used Mama Mea as because he didn't have his business. He just sold his business before he'd started this three year Harvard course, and he used Mama Mea as A as a model because they had to sort of being their business. Yeah, not a case study, but they had to plug in their own businesses to these things they were learning. And he used Mama Maha at the time, and it just made him see the potential there. And I was getting all these approaches but I didn't have the bandwidth or the skills to be honest, to monetize any any of the approaches I was getting. So for a while, you know, he was managing me and people would get me to come and you know, they wanted me to be the brand ambassador for their whatever, and he would do those deals and then he's like, there's there's a business here potentially, and he could see that I was completely burning out and I didn't have a capacity to monetize it myself. And I also didn't I didn't have a business plan. I didn't know how to do a business plan. He was like, what's what's your exit? You're not and I'm like, I don't know. Rupert Merticle, come along and buy me and he's like, buy what it's You're on your laptop, there's nothing to buy. And I was like I couldn't. I couldn't see that because I was just so caught up in it. And he was the one that's always had the vision. I've always been really good at this, and he's always been the one that can see over the horizon and been like, nomma, men needs to be a website that you edit, And I'm like, oh no, that'll never work, or he's like, mum and me needs to and I'm like, oh no, that'll never work, and then he's right, and he's right, and he's right. So we've been a really good combination, whereas he's very much steered the business and the financial side of it and everything other than the content, and I've steered the content and it's worked, you know, really well for seventeen years and one of the most dangerous times for any startup. And I'm much more suited to start up culture, I've realized, but he always had much bigger ambitions and the most dangerous time for a business we learned was oh we knew was going from startup to scale up because culturally it's a big shift. The people that you hire as generalists you then move to needing specialists. It's a big risk moving up. And he managed us through that. Who was now he's been an outstanding CEO, managing through all of those rocky waters and through COVID and through we tried to you know, not everything we've done has worked. We tried to expand into the US, that didn't work, so we closed that down and decided to really focus here but probably the biggest thing for us was when Facebook told everybody to pivot to video. They told publishers to pivot to video, and everybody sacked their riders, invested all this money, started making video, pivoted, and then Facebook quent ah yeah nah yeah, And that was sort of the beginning of the end for the buzzfeeds, the vices, and they just ended up getting more and more investment, more and more, needing more and more, doing bigger and bigger cat raisers to fund this bigger and bigger expansion. And because we've never done that, we've always been in control of our own destiny. And that's a decision that Jason made because he knew that, you know, and I would say, come, they've got all this cup raising and we don't, and He's like, it means that we can make the best decisions for our business. So when everyone pivoted to video, we actually pivoted to audio, and that was before most people knew what a podcast was, and that ended up being a really, really good decision for us.
Speaker 1: So I just want the co founder thing because often people say to me, do I need to co founder? Or some people come to me and say I knew the co founder because they heard someone else say that you need a co founder.
Speaker 6: Well, I needed a co founder.
Speaker 1: Well is it better to say, though, mere that I'm really good at this, but I'm also good at those things. Those things are important in my business. In the business, therefore, I'll find a co founder can do those things. Because you know, my old man is my dad uses always say just always put up on a whiteboard what you're good at and what, but equally, you be honest what your crap at and you know, and I often say my various businesses, and I've always had my brother involved, my younger brother involved as a lawyer. I say, I cut, he shows and you know, nice and if because he's he's really good at stitching things up, making really nice and neat and tighty and relevant, et cetera. Not in terms of content, but just in terms of structure, finances.
Speaker 6: Car needs a break in an accelerator totally, they are.
Speaker 1: So did you did you me or sort of recognize that your husband had those qualities.
Speaker 6: Yes, I knew that I couldn't do because I was just all I knew I was really really good at this one thing, but I was not. There was this whole other thing that not only was I not good at, wasn't interested in coming to it, at it, I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't a good use of my time doing this thing that I didn't understand or wasn't good at. And so for me, not only did Jakes have skills that I didn't have in terms of business and finance, but he also had a different mindset because I have a high I have a low boredom threshold and a high appetite for risk. He is more cautious, and I think that has been in a business. If you just have unharnessed ambition or unharnessed risk appetite, that's really dangerous.
Speaker 1: Both of you're risky.
Speaker 6: Yeah you can't. And so I think you know the best partnerships. And I've always said, you know, I ran this whole course part of the business for many years called Lady Startup, which is about helping women start businesses and about the co founder thing. I would always say exactly what you've said, which is either partner with someone who has different strengths to you or higher if you can afford to. And the problem is that most people their co founders will be like a friend or a sister or something and I had you know, they'll say, oh, this is my co founder. We're really different, like I'm this, and it's like your differences are like this. You need differences that are like this, like whether you're really you know, you look at some of the most successful partnerships in Australian business, NICKI and Simone Zimmermann, you know, clothing zimmm and sisters Yeah, Nick creative, Nicole is I think a lawyer by trade or maybe an accountant and so you know, they're very clear about who does what. And I think that that's been that's been the key for me and Jason. There's no way I could have done this without him, and you know he would have done something else without me, but it wouldn't have been this.
Speaker 1: So an important point here though, and I've seen this happen with people, especially husband and wife or a boyfriend, girlfriend, or brother and sister, etc. Brothers and sisters. If you have somebody like you say, with your skills and things you like doing and with a high appetite for risk, you say, and this is sort of what you're explaining to me. You say, look, I want to do this, and he will come back and he'll say, well, wait a minute, let's just check this out and do a bit of analysis on and blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: Cut once.
Speaker 1: But would you ever get to the point where you'd say, well, hang on, don't you believe in me? Like this is what I believe in. Do you ever get to the point and say I just want you to believe in me, And he's going to say, well, hang on, I do believe in you, but my role is correct. Now how do you deal with that little a small conflict there? But what happened counseling.
Speaker 6: It's really interesting. We've come to really like I bristle at being held back, and he bristles at me running headlong into something passionately. But what we've learned over the years is that is to trust each other. Like it's been proven time and time again that my instincts when I want to run hard at something I can't often explain. Like with podcasts, there was no business model. I just knew that it was something we had to do. And I remember getting up in a leadership team meeting and explaining pot and they all kind of like laughed at me and whatever, and I'm like, no, guys like take this in. It's like, oh mea' Like we've got our business plan. We can't we do it. This is our strategy.
Speaker 1: We can't.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, and so I'll just go off and do it on my own. It's like Lady Startup. I just Jase walked past my office one day and I was on the floor and I was cutting things up, or maybe it was the Very Pery Summit and I was whatever, and he's like, oh, babe, you know what are you doing? What's and I said, and he goh, what's the business plan? I'm like, I'm not sure, Like what's the revenue attached to it? And I'm like, I'm not sure, but I'm sure I'll find it. And I always have. So, whether it's been podcasts, the Very Pery Summit that I did, or the Lady Startup course Verry Menopause. Yeah, so they've all been like multimillion dollar become multimillion dollar parts of our business. But they didn't start off going how can we make a lot of money. It's been I've gone what walking in her shoes? What do women want?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 6: And then we find a way to make it financially viable to actually do it because we're not a charity where where a purpose driven business, and our purpose is to make the world a better place for women and girls. So I'm always looking at what can I make that fulfills that purpose.
Speaker 1: So I need to know from you. I like, how do you do it? Like I mean, it's it's a big question to get it. But you know, you lost a couple of players last year, you lost a couple players before you just keep I don't know whether is it because you've got a good nursery of people out there? What's is there a secret?
Speaker 4: Not that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't tell you that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I think we we have a great club for starters. It's very well aligned from the very top through management on the board and all our coaching staff all the way through the players. And that's easy to say, but it's harder to do, you know. And that's probably our greatest strength as the club, so assistance we have in place respected by everyone, and then they followed. We do have a great nursery of players as well. We have a good pathway system. But some of the players we have lost, you will never be able to replace them. You know. If I've mentioned guys like Philly Army, Kick our Appy Cross, our Stephen Crichton, I'm special, Len you like and now Fish and Ray.
Speaker 5: You can't replace those guys.
Speaker 1: Like for like, you know, I've forgot to be a kid going and yeah, right, like.
Speaker 7: And there's burden before that it was yeah, like it's just been unbelievable any more.
Speaker 5: Like, but.
Speaker 7: You know what we do have is we have an incredible leaders in our team led by Nat and as a l and still have a lot of talent on our team. But we you know, each year these boys grow together, the chemistry the ones that stay become stronger, and it say as I said that we have good systems, you know, good chemistry and good staff and whoever comes in has seen you know, there's a legacy that those guys that leave leave and you know it's easier for them to transition into the role. So it's it's a never ending search to try and keep doing this and we've got to do it again next year and we haven't done it yet, So that's going to be the challenge that we I guess we just step into each and every day.
Speaker 5: We don't never live in the past.
Speaker 7: And so this point it's it's working for us, but we also know that you know it could you know, if you don't keep behind on the ball, it can change quickly.
Speaker 1: So but a bit of you but you always and you know you know the roster obviously, you know the roster, You know the salary cap, you know which you can and can't fit, you know who's kind of for renewal, et cetera. Are you do you do you actually sit back and plan with a team or is it ivan clear? He does it like a kid who's in seventeen. He's looking pretty good. He's in the New Soths Origin team or with Queens on Origins, wherever it is. He's coming through. The pro says he is a good marker for to replace Isaiah when he leaves, and yeah, tires.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's definitely that sort of stuff going on. It just sometimes it depends because it comes a bit quicker than you think. You know, we never really wanted, you know, anticipated guys like you know, Stephen Cricht and Spencereni to leave. But once again, we've been fortunate enough to you know, we've basically had a year to at least try and plan for those guys, and they've all stayed that extra year and played really well. We're always, you know, in the background, just trying to bring players through. We got lucky this year Paul Alamonti from the from the Bulldogs, and I think he went over and above what we ever thought he was going to do and he ended up starting in the Grand Final for us. So sometimes you get a bit of luck and they just you know, they fit better than you think. Or the fact that we were able to sign him was a shock to me that he was even available. So that, yeah, I guess, And that's I guess. One thing about you know, success, All of a sudden, you get players you want to come to your club, you know whereas trust me, when I first got the panterth twelve years ago, that wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: He had one young fellow, something like Almoni, for example. Do you when he comes across, do you sort of look at him when he looked at his videos of his past previous games and sort of say, okay, I can improve you by doing these things or is it just improved by Birch or being in a side like this.
Speaker 5: Just it depends.
Speaker 7: I mean, for Paul Elmanic, Paul was He's only twenty now, so he's nineteen years older star as a junior. I was actually wondering what there must be something wrong with him, the fact that he's that we can actually sign him while the dogs are I let him go. But I guess they were just one a bit of a different track, looking for you quicker success, maybe i'd I don't know, but so I met him. You know, it's just one. He's got to fit, you know, he's got a fit characterise. That's really important.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 7: I just want to get We want to get good characters of people who are going to fit our values. And not just good players, but good people who are going to train hard. They're going to be able to about to play the way we like to. They've got to be fit enough and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But do you actually set a set of values for the club for the.
Speaker 7: Well, I said, I originally set the culture, but the players have set the values.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they actually write them down some you know respect, you know, like series of virtues.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I got that was important. The players came up and we do it each and every year. We'll revisit them so if we have to adjust them or whatever.
Speaker 1: And then when someone comes in, like a new player comes into the club, would you sort of sit them down and say, meet the senior senior members of the team, the team and or and who takes us through these values? Dude, this is what we expect. How do you play the game?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's It's not as formal as that, but it's definitely. Yeah. They find out pretty quick what's required.
Speaker 7: That's again, we have an amazing staff, but the players themselves, we have an incredible leadership group now in our team. You know, I've never seen anything like I've been lucky enough to be involved in anything like it. A lot of them have come through together, so that helps. And obviously the more experienced, the bigger the games. You know, all of a sudden, there's evidence that this stuff works. And I think that you know, that helps as well.
Speaker 1: When I'm obviously watching the game and the energy and the momentum that comes with energy, especially in the second part of the second half on the weekend, it just looked like Penrith was ten years younger. And I don't mean that in a a bad way. I just mean that you guys look like younger, keener, more enthusiastic. I guess when Melbourne's try was just deflated him a bit, but you just you knew how to take advantage of that. You knew how to sort of keep the momentum that's you on the field. I mean ivans up there in the box sort of sending in structures out, But do you know immediately it's time to get on top a bit, we better take advantage of this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Usually I think it's more like your eyes just like a feel thing. It's probably not saying that we speak about too often on the field, but particularly people in the spine and the leaders sort of accelerate and go towards that. I think that's saying that we've been quite lucky to have over these last few years, as it sort of feels like we've got gears and.
Speaker 1: Us that we look like to me, you can go another year and probably had one or two in Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing.
Speaker 7: It's probably been a bit frustrated this year that like we've always sort of just been like hanging in games and then once we get pushed, then we retaliated. We're like, all right, now we'll go up a gear. We haven't really blown away teams this year.
Speaker 1: Y she did in the in the first preliminary semi against the r That was the best game you goys I had for a long time.
Speaker 4: We knew we need to get to.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 1: Last game of Blue Bet. I was out there and god, I just wish enjoy it. No, I didn't enjoy it all. I wasn't sure what to wear, so but someone said, don't wear your suit. But it was actually great. It was a great atmosphere. It was rugby league what it used to be when I was a kid growing up. That's what it feels like to me. It was just everyone's into it. I mean it's a pretty hostile crowd to be in front of. Yeah, they love playing the man. You know, Well, it's just like going down to Melbourne. I guess it's the same feeling. But you guys actually did kick into a big gear. That was a big gear change, and then I think every game you played after that was a new gear. It looked like that, and then even in the Grand Final you look like you just kept increasing the gear, kept saying Okay, well you're going to match me. I'll go this way. You're going to match me, I'm going to go this way. That's what it felt like to me. And I'm wondering about the leadership on the on the on the team, the boys. You guys, are you talking to which other you say, listen, let's just crack them again. Let's just put it into a harder Yeah.
Speaker 7: In a game like that, I think you fall back to your training and also experience. And I think all all of those as you're sort of talking about that all comes from our training. It's something we talk about our training constantly. The hard work we're put in. We know that it's going to pay us back when we need it. Because when you're actually in the moment, it's like everyone's pretty fatigued and just sort of trying to gel together, but everything's happening so fast, so you probably don't get time to say that in the moment, but he sort of get looks at each other and sort of know that it's time to step.
Speaker 5: It up a bit.
Speaker 1: And I think that's something that with us as.
Speaker 7: A group, through experience, that sort of feel of it has been that we just haven't even had to speak about.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: It's sort of sort of know that you need etcetera. And particularly in Grand Final, you know that well yeah, yeah, and it's something that's combinations experience, experiencing big games. I think that's probably when I felt at the most on Sunday night, where you didn't even really need to say stuff to each other, just knew what was required and what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you a big rep here and tell me if I'm wrong. The rep you deserve, but obviously you deserve it. But tell me if I was thinking is wrong. So someone said to me the other day, Ah, you know, just before the game, Bellamy's a genius, blah blah blah, and he is. He's a great coach. Billik is a great coach. And I said, well, you know what's interesting, I think Craig Greg Bellamy looks for weaknesses and teams and exploits weakness. He's very good exploiting weakness. He'll work out where's a weakness and he'll play it that all night until he gets through. And I said, on the other hand, Ivans, I don't know if Ivan's like that, but I think Ivan is really good at getting the best out of his team. And the question then becomes, is the coach who can identify weakness working out his strategies to go to the weakness better than the coach who can get the best out of every player on the team, and I sort of I felt like that's the way the game was played. And I think Bellamy was trying to find weaknesses. He's maybe your shoulder or whatever the case would be, but he couldn't find it, and seemed like to me that they got frustrated watching it on Telly. I'm talking about it, especially when I watched the second time. It looked like they were getting frustrated that they think we can't find a weakness. But on the other hand, you guys are just getting the best out of each other. That's what it looked like to me. Is there any am I anywhere near that we're just making shit up? Because that's how I felt.
Speaker 4: I don't know it was deliberate, but what I will say is if you look at.
Speaker 7: The Melbourne style, there's not a lot of weakness, so I couldn't sort of find you find weakness in them, So yeah, you're probably right. You end up spending more time, you know, on your own team, which I think we do it most of the time. There'll be some games throughout the year there might be a team that's littered with injuries or down on form or whatever, where it's a bit easier to actually find a weakness. And you know, those types of games, you might zero went on that kind of stuff a bit more. But for this game against this type of opposition and the bigger the games is I think handling you know, basically your head space is.
Speaker 5: Something that we've worked a lot a lot on.
Speaker 7: And each and every player you know will tell you it's a bit the bigger the games and the bigger the pressure, it's different, you know, and and it becomes more than just playing football. You know, it's about playing yourself, you know, in a lot of ways. So spend a lot of time on that and and I guess that's that's that's one big way of trying to get the best out of everyone.
Speaker 1: But do do you sort of say to yourself, Papen Hourison's quick, we don't give him space.
Speaker 7: Do you go through those processes that were, yeah, well we'll we'll generally talk about, you know, the opposition, where they what their strengths are, how they like to play, you know, if they've got a certain style or whatever, and a lot of spend a lot of time on that each and every guy knows the players they're up against and their own nuances and that type of stuff. So there's a lot of work that goes in around you know, and knowing your enemy, but probably more work and more time built right throughout the season on making sure that on the biggest day you know we're going to we can play our best footing, so sort.
Speaker 1: Of getting you to peak at the right time too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you did mention this is this is not really it wasn't really a plan. But we hit the finals in fairly average form. I'd say, we're actually just trying to give you, the roosters, a false sense of hopefully you did, but like, yeah, I just think the boys knew that. They just knew we had nothing come back, which is obviously fair help. But they just kind of they just went up a level. You could see their training and that gives me a great confidence how we prepare and it was just like that week of preparation was like that was completely different to what we've been doing, and it showed out in the field.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't to different preparations, just that they were ready.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 7: It wasn't really different, but they just went up a notch and just in terms of intensity it was different. Yeah, And that's where that's where it all comes from. The intensity which you train, I think is probably the biggest indicator of how you're going to play.
Speaker 1: Especially like Grand Final, that that Grand Final build and getting the intensity for the Grand vol because they've had experienced at it, so much experience at it. Now, how much effective do you think that plays in? Because it looks like you guys got so much patience, Like like you got you're not panicking at any stage, You're not starting to do crazy shit like oh shit, we better start throwing the board with you know, like you know, I mean like it looks like you've got patience.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, I think that that's sort of what you touched on, Like it's knowing that sort of our best is going to be anyone else and having that little bit of confidence in that.
Speaker 5: And I think we actual had a discussion earlier in the week.
Speaker 7: We were training and went up to that AFTERO and we sort of spoke and just felt like we'll maybe focusing a bit too much on Melbourne rather than just focusing on ourselves and getting our game one hundred percent right and for the rest of the week, we sort of zoned in on that and constantly telling each other that, you know, if we bring our best game, it's we're definitely going to be in the fight. But I believe that that we're going to win it. And I think that helps with knowing that if we train well. Again, it comes back to that preparation. If you train well, that's what gives you confidence for the game, and that feeling was definitely there with just the intensity and taking it to another level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, particularly Grand Final. I'm sitting here, I'm thinking himself. They're both good looking dudes. One four Grand Finals. They're like the father's got the perfect son and brother and your other children too as well, and perfect wife because he's got a great relationship with his wife. The son singing I got the perfect dad. Like what the hell? Like, what there must be? Is there a chink anyway? You but everything? It's like, do you ever think yourself? I know this is like I don't want anything to change.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well it was only last time we spoke as any of that was after with one our first ver then twenty twenty one, and I remember thinking on that night, I was just thinking, how can How can you be so lucky where so many things go so well for you in one night. Yeah, But I was also saying, just this morning I did an interview with someone, and twelve years of playing NRL and then my first four nine years of coaching ROW, so that's twenty six years it took me to be able to win a premiership get involved in one.
Speaker 5: So it's been a lot of it didn't happen all it's certainly not all been. It's not all beer and skittles.
Speaker 7: And I had to learn a lot along the way, and I still know that, you know, and in the future it can go the other way quickly. So just enjoying the enjoying the fruits of what we're doing at the moment, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Well you're only fifty two three three fifty three. I was going to give you a year. Thanks, but like you know, you got one way to go. Like Bennett's late seventies or something.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to be coaching.
Speaker 4: I'll be lucky.
Speaker 5: I'm alive of that.
Speaker 1: And I heard Bellamy say the other day that day he probably retired before he's seventy and and he's sixty seven. I think at the moment, so he said, I'm not I won't be there at seventy. That's there were his words. Do you see yourself coaching these blakes for a long time that I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm contracted for another three years and at the moment, that's that's good enough.
Speaker 1: It's unlikely they're not under renew the contract.
Speaker 5: Can I tell you?
Speaker 7: I know, But I just don't know if I can. You know, like, I just can't see myself playing one of those guys. It's I'm in my sixties or late seventies, still still going through this rollcaster you I want to sitting back on a beer in the stand, mate, But is a rollercaster?
Speaker 1: It is? I mean, I often say I reckon one of the hardest jobs is coaching. Like, well, it's a lifestyle heavy like mate, this can be framatic and terrible.
Speaker 5: It's a lifestyle. It's more than a job.
Speaker 7: It's you live it, you know, and from week to week, depending on how the game goes, you know, con dictor how you like. It's not just you, it's your family, it's your wife, your kids. So it's that that's where you put your handle for and that's that's the addictive part of it as well. Every time you have a loss or you're not going well or you know, it's I think it's a coach, you always feel like there's something good around the next corner, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but does that mean mean that you're by a definition have a positive mindset? Though, like generally speaking, you have a good positive outlook and stuff.
Speaker 7: I think so I'm a bit of a realist, But I also I just feel like, I guess I have enough confidence in myself and and the team and the people you know that work for you and whatever that that we will will. If we're not going to get right now, we will eventually get it right, you know. And I guess if yeah, that's I suppose it's just yeah, there's something good around the next corner. But there's been plenty of dark times, mane, that's for sure.
Speaker 8: We're going out for a rough ride. Let me see it again. Chinas and serious financial trouble. America is the biggest detonation in the world, printing one trillion every ninety days. Germany's in bankruptcy, so os is going to the lucky country. So you're sheltered a bit. But as you know, China's your largest trading partner. So it's it's an important imperative that every ASI educate themselves to protect themselves. But if you're hoping the government's going to save you, they are in trouble.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I had it in twenty sixteen, I said, opposite Trump and I interviewed him, and this is before any presidential aspirations. I think it was sixteen, might have been fifteen, whatever, And he said to me, one of the things he's concerned about is Australia's trading relationship with China. And he said to me, and I at the time naively said, we have there our biggest trading party. We should upset it sort of thing. He said. Let me tell you something. He said, Yeah, they'll take you all your iron ore and everything else. That's just selling Kyle et cetera. That you're selling to them, he said. But ultimately you'll end up owing them something, owing them something, he said, like we are in the United States. You've got to do something about that. That's what you've got to do something about. And it's interesting your words to me just then, because the biggest owner of the debt in the United States, it gets issued on all these months as you just talking about bonds. Is China?
Speaker 6: Ye?
Speaker 1: They and in Japan they hold the great amount of doubt, which Mary grows. It's funny when you say that to me. I just have a memory of what Trump told me, and it's I thought to myself at the time what he said was quite out there. Today I would say it's quite courageous, but sort of accurate. And what you're saying is effectively endorsing what he said back in twenty and sixteen. Now it's all come to roost. Now it's force four and for eight years later, it's all come to roost. We now have this problem and America's China's falling apart economically as well. So it sounds like we could be in globally in for some other crisis. Correct what it's called.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It won't be a GFC, it won't be a financial well maybe a financial crisis, who knows. Because the value their paper, the Chinese paper that it holds in relation to American debt, correct, it's not worth anywhere near what it was issued at.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: And China needs as much as they can possibly get because they've got a bit of a few problems internally themselves. Are you sort of predicting or predicting but sort of suggesting there could be a crisis on its way?
Speaker 8: There is one word in it right now. Now you know, his mandate is going to take Taiwan back.
Speaker 1: So creat a war solve the problem, yeah.
Speaker 8: He says, before you know, that's that's like Trump says, I'm going to take Taiwan bag. That's war, you know. And so what's going on in Ukraine and all this, it's terrible. I mean, I hate war. I just hate it. I thought twice in Vietnam killed a lot of people. But it's about money, as you know, you know, like I said, it's a very dangerous time. So it's important thereby take responsibility for yourselves financially, not expect the government to take care of you. So I go around and saying, put yourself on your own gold standard, put yourself on the old silver standard, you know, save gold, silver or bitcoin and protect yourself now with it your brain, you know, but don't expect the government to take care of you. AUSI is the lucky country. But you sit behind these superpower is going to war and it's spooky.
Speaker 1: Do you think, do you think war is inevitable.
Speaker 8: Well, historically, yes, see, what brought Hitler to power was the why my Republic went World War One and they made they made Germany pay reparations, so Germany went bankrupt. Hitler came to power. So every time there's chaos, a dictator comes to power. So that was Fascist, that was Mussolini and Hitler. So it's these are not normal times. But I don't know, I mean I was just prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what you were saying economically prepared, you know, you know, sort of suggesting be doomsday and go and build a hunker down and build a vault underneath the house and filled it with kansabak beans and water, et cetera.
Speaker 8: Just watch historically. I mean, you're in the banking business. Twenty nineteen, the repulp market collapsed, that's where the banks go to borrow money. It collapsed, and then suddenly COVID appeared. I went, oh, it is this an accident?
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I'm interesting thought about.
Speaker 8: That interesting because I got lost this stuff. Is there a coincidence?
Speaker 1: So just someone to explain to audience with the repair market means in terms of Australia, at least it means if if I'm a bank and I've got mortgage assets, I normally can go and if I got ye I'm lending. If I've got a pool of mortgages which are my assets, and I've got liabilities where I've borrowed money is from deposits. On the other side, if I'm a bank, repo means that I can go to the government. The government will buy my mortgages off me for the face value with the coraggage. So if I lend Robert one hundred thousand dollars and there's ten thousand of Robots in my pool, and I need some cash to lend more money to more Roberts, but I'm running out of cash because I'm a bank, and I haven't because I'm not receiving the deposits. Then I can go to the government, and the government runs a repo program where they will take my mortgages off me. In your case, they put him into Fenny Maye Freddie Mack in the US. In Australia, we don't have the system, but they'll still buy them office and they'll give us cash for it downs the bank and then we're going to lend some more money. And the repo market. You're saying prior in twenty nineteen, prior to we collapsed, Well didn't collapse, but yes, went down. It wasn't so it wasn't as much liquidity in the system to liquidity being money available for the banking system. Because what you just said is really interesting because when when COVID hit in our country March, within four months, our central bank here cut a check one hundred and ninety billion dollars to a banking system. They said, banks, not non bank so many, but to banks. Here's one undred ninety billion dollars. We'll give you to a point one of to you add point one of a percent fixed for three years, go lend it. And of course that created inflation out of the bubble bubble, the property market bubble. It just went off. And then of course last year the government said, well we want that repay because the three years is up twenty twenty three. It does not exactly on that date, but from twenty twenty three due to based on drawdown dates. And now the banks are raising money six percent, so they're our interest rates are higher. So the you know who's suffering, the consumer. The guy borrowed money, that money he borrowed at two percent from one point nine to nine percent. It's a record low fixed rate for fixed for three years. All of a sudden, he's gone from fixed one point nine now he's paying seven percent. Our consumers are paying for this. The banks are making the same amount of profit as they've always made, they're just charging the borrow more. And the way forward was, well, our central bank said, well, inflation is really high. It's really bad. We don't like high inflation. So and you, consumers, you cause it. You cause high inflation. So we're going to put in straights up, and the banks that we're not responsible, the Reserve Bank, the central banks put this rate. We just put the this trade up as they go long. And now the consumer's bearing the risk of this. You know, it's really interesting. I remember Milton Friedman. Not many people you were remembering, but not many people remembering. I remember watching him in the nineties and it's up on YouTube these days, Freedman, and he says, consumers never create inflation. Governments do, correct.
Speaker 4: They preyer money, they.
Speaker 1: Print money, and they make it available for for liquid. Yeah, and the only people make money out of that is the rich people.
Speaker 8: At the end of the day, and then if you can in trouble the bet they bail out the rich. Yeah, and the ASI block it's Penali rich.
Speaker 1: The rich people by and boil themselves out by influencing the government to do the bailot. So that is the premise of your book. Though, Yes, I think what you're sort of saying is below the rich guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think like my rich dad, not my protect.
Speaker 1: Think like the rich guy, rich dad. They learn from the rich dad dad. And I think what you're sort of saying here, and this is it's quite compelling. But you're saying there's no point fighting against the machine. I mean you can, and you know, you can storm the White House or whatever you want to do, but that's not going to do any at the end of the day. The system will close you down, just like it might close Donald Trump down or make it really difficult for him. I mean, God bless the guy, like he's so tough on me. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I would I would have gone, I'm out. I would have hung my gloves up. But you can fight against the machine if you want to, and you can argue against it, and you can put a posts on Instagram and talk about the conspiracy and you know, you know, but at the end of the day, forget about just think like the other mob join you sort of join them, be quite thoughtful, educate yourself, educate yourself and probably would you say, act upon it as well? Yes, where do you get the car? Where do people get the courage to once educate themselves to actually go and do the things that you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Well, it's easier to do something for other people, like create the cash flow board game, learn it, play it ten times, and then teach other people. Even you shall receive when you do it for other people. Stuff comes in. But if you're just taken for yourself, who cares? You know, you're greedy. And that's a big, big difference, Sir, I was just the lucky country. Don't fuck it up totally.
Speaker 1: Well that's what Trump said to me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't fuck it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought he's been a bit extreme into our sixteen but it's actually come to be true now. And then if you think about you know, COVID, you know Fauci, the whole COVID thing in Australia. I don't know if we were our Australian legislators and government were covertly involved in what was going on. Just I think we probably follow what was going on in the United States, and it's.
Speaker 8: Big pharmer, big pharmaceutical companies.
Speaker 1: They influenced the program.
Speaker 8: Of course, it's bankers pharmaceutical in all those cases.
Speaker 1: You guys have an inquiry in America as we are here in Australia about the vaccines, like the effects of the vaccines. Yeah, you want to get it, and it's because some of the findings are he's terribly horrendous. Yeah, but it's not getting any airtime. I don't understand it. There's no airtime. No one's talking about I mean, we might see it on score and US on Ruby Murdocks channel here, but we don't see it anywhere else. Now, why do you think that is.
Speaker 8: Pharma big business? I remember I had to travel, I had to get a vaccine. I refused to so I just found a doctor. I paid them five hundred dollars, put the vaccine in a in this thing, thank you bye, and he goes it's divit got the certificate. I'm not that stupid, you know. I mean, I'll cheat, but I don't. It's my body they're putting stuff into just the schools, put ideas in your head. One more thing is when we talk about the repaw market, it's very simple. It's like the pawn shop for banks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, very.
Speaker 8: Very very simple. So when that went down COVID appeared, I went, oh my god, is that an accident or is it intentional? And I don't know. I don't have an answer to that. But there's too many coincidences. And so that's why I wrote Rich Dad Part Out in ninety seven. The cash flow board game kind of up in ninety six, and if we don't educate ourselves, and shame on us, but schools will not do it because schools are complicit with the banks.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is? Why do you think Marxist?
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: Where they start from.
Speaker 8: I read the Communist Manifesto in sixty five. I went to military school and went, oh my god. You know they made two predictions nineteen thirty they were going to take over the school system, which they did, and then they would take our elections.
Speaker 1: They did, and that would be Trump's position today. They've your last election that he lost.
Speaker 8: And I respect a freedom of choice. You can be a Marxist. You can be a capitalist, but without financial education, as you know in the banking industry. If you don't have any financial education, you can't be a.
Speaker 1: Capitalist and you can make a proper decision either correct, because you don't know what creature, because it means the Marxist position is very romantic.
Speaker 8: It's appolation or private property, labor unions, taxation.
Speaker 1: Fairness, fairness, quality, aggressive tax system, you know, will tax the rich to look after the poor. It's like robin Hood. It's sort of it's sort of very it's sort of like a romantic thing. It's a theme. But the reality is we're not all equal, and we don't all in the same animony. We don't none of us have prepared to work as hard as the next person, or or even as not as.
Speaker 8: Hard as the person's going to be equal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nobody is equal.