Speaker 1: Why. On Sky News This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening tonight, a major exclusive, Penny Wong rejected the recommendation of Australia's diplomats and instead she supported the United Nations resolution recognizing Palestinian sovereignty. The Foreign Minister now in hot water over why she went against the advice of Australia's mission to the UN that full scoop in a moment. Also tonight, Chris Bowen and Anthony Albanezi think they know better than the rest of the world as they refuse to sign up to a nuclear pact with our greatest allies and orcast partners. And my exclusive interview with Deepak Chopra, he unloads on RFK Junior and even Donald Trump with the world famous spiritual guru explaining why he'll no longer follow politics.
Speaker 3: He doesn't look like the perfect example of you know, somebody who could tackle OBISTI.
Speaker 2: Himself, and that's a rare rebuke from DPAK on RFK that's coming up a bit later, and he also gives advice on how to find more time to spend with the people you love. But first tonight I can exclusively reveal that Foreign Minister Penniwong's decision to support the UN resolution recognizing Palestinian sovereignty went against the recommendation and submission from Australia's Mission to the United Nations. Our diplomats over at the UN recommended that Australia should, like our allies America, Canada and Israel, abstain from this resolution and not support it, in keeping with Australia's position over the past decade, but Pennywog overruled them, making effectively a captain's call. I also understand this decision didn't go to either Cabinet all the National Security Committee of Cabinet. Again, this was a decision from Pennywog and her pro Palestinian partner in crime, Anthony Albanesi. I do understand that Senator Wong consulted with some Cabinet colleagues, but not all on the decision. This decision blindsided the Canadian mission, which had been under the impression that Australia would continue to abstain now after this change in position. Australia's Mission to the UN was then instructed by the Albanese government to inform partner countries of the government's decision, but it wasn't just Canada that was horrified. There was shocked reaction to this here in Australia as well. It was widely reported that this was Pennywog caving into and even rewarding the terrorism of October seven by recognizing Palestinian's sovereignty despite no answers over exactly who would lead a Palestinian state, I mean surely not Hermus, and no demands that they accept Israel's right to exist. As you know, the Nightly Round a cover saying Pennywong rewards Hermus terrorists by shifting government's un stance on palestine sovereign status and that image there of course harkening back to the Gates of Auschwitz. Chris Kenny, in a sensational editorial, said that this was a capitulation to extremists and terrorism, and also a surrender to base electoral politics. He said that Albinizi and Wang should think about whether Humas even once piece before trying to reward it with what he described as a make believe state still under terrorist control.
Speaker 4: This is not only grotesque, it's absurd, because neither Hamas, nor Isbelah, nor Islamic g Hard nor Iran will ever accept and implement the establishment of a Palestinian state that requires recognition and security for the state of Israel.
Speaker 1: This is idiotic.
Speaker 4: Because there has never been a Palestinian state, and every time one has been on offer, it's the Palestinians who have rejected it, preferring to back Islam's terra outfits like Hummas who want to kill Jews and eliminate Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the point that Bill Clinton made on the campaign trail, and he should know his efforts at the Camp David summit were stymied by the Palestinians.
Speaker 5: All this was offered, they said no. And I think part of it is that Hamas did not care about a homeland for the Palestinians. They wanted to kill Israelis and make Israel uninhabitable.
Speaker 2: And his whole speech which was brilliant, and Penny Wong should listen to it. But Alexander Downa had some of his own advice for Penny Wong, from one former foreign minister to the current one.
Speaker 6: If I were in government today, therefore, I could give a bit of advice to Penny Wong and the Labor government. I would think about drafting a resolution which demanded that Hamas hand over the one hundred or so hostages that they're still holding and cease attax on Israel.
Speaker 2: How about that suggestion. The Australian also reported that this decision by the government was deepening Australia's rift with the United States on Israel. The Biden administration was unequivocal in condemning this one sided UN resolution, and their diplomat Nicholas Kovell said that the resolution would actually undermine hopes for an end to the war.
Speaker 7: One sided resolutions will not help advance peace, not when they ignore the facts on the ground. One sided resolutions are purely rhetorical documents that seek to divide us at a time when we should be coming together.
Speaker 2: And he also spoke about the persistent bias at the United Nations against Israel, and that's from the Biden administration. We know how much stronger Donald Trump's team is going to be. So tonight right now, I'm reporting that this decision by Australia to vote with this one sided resolution was done against the advice of our own bureaucrats and diplomats. And this is the first time Australia has supported this resolution against Israel. No explanation has been offered for what's changed to mean that Australia would now support this resolution.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I asked Pennywong today for comment on this, and her spokesperson said, and I quote, while Australia does not agree with everything in the resolution, this vote reflects international concern about Israeli actions that impede access to natural resources and ongoing settlement activity, land dispossession, demolitions and settler violence against Palestinians. She said, We've been clear that such acts undermine stability and prospects for a true state solution. This vote is consistent with the priority we place on building momentum towards a true state solution. Well, I would have thought that the terrorist attacks on October seven and ever since do much more to undermine a true state solution. Now the only explanation I can see is that the Albanesi government is once again putting domestic politics first. They've never been strong supporters of Israel, to say the least. As you know, Albanesi was a pro Palestinian activist yelling into a megaphone at a rally where American and Israeli flags were burned. I lament every day that this is the government we've been dealt with at this single point in time when anti Semitism is the worst it's been since the Holocaust, A weak, ineffective anti Israel government and we need better than this. Plenty is still to come on tonight's show. My interview with world renowned guru Deepak Chopra coming up. Plus lawyer Justin quill would join me to discuss Labour's all but dead Misinformation Bill. But now let's bring in former Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger and former Labor Minister Graham Richardson. Welcome to you both. Michael, I'm going to get your reaction to this breaking news. My revelation now that Penny Wang rejected the advice of Australian diplomats and instead supported this one sided resolution against Israel.
Speaker 8: Well, as you've reported, she discussed it with Elbow, a handful of others, but in the end she's decided. Pennywong on the Middle East, Pennywong is an extremist. You look at her record, it's disgraceful from October seven onwards. The things she has done are not done which are well known, show that this is a hard left political figure who is Auntie Israel and who is pandering to the Muslim vote in New South Wales to try and hang on to those three seats. I mean, this is a race to the bottom by Penny Wong. It's a disgrace. Bob Hawk would be turning in his grave to hear and see what she has done as Foreign Minister in relation to the Middle East, and she and Albanezi will go down in Australian history as the two people that were in charge of this country when he said Semitism Jewish hatred reached appalling and disgraceful levels. And just like vegetables sitting in the garden, they did nothing. They did nothing. They let this happen. He's a weakened, p athetic Prime Minister and Penny Wong is a disgrace to this nation.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly well said Michael Kroger. Now, rich O, look there's no cover for Penny one here because there's been no explanation given for why Australia changed its position. Canada didn't, the US didn't, and yet Australia did. It was against the advice I've just revealed of Australia's mission to the United Nation. This didn't go to cabinet or the National Security Committee of Cabinet. So you know what can possibly be the reason what's changed. It is rewarding terrorism, isn't it.
Speaker 9: I can't see anything that's changed, but I can see a very bad decision has been made. Penny's a friend of mine, but she got this wrong. I think, very wrong, and I don't think it does Australia any credit whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Well, Richard, clearly these decisions are because of concerns about marginal seats in Western Sydney, also concerns about votes moving towards the Greens. Do you think this is how Labour should be reacting by compromising our national security and compromising proper values.
Speaker 9: Whenever you compromise your own principles, you cannot possibly be doing any good. People see through you in a minute, in a second, and I think in a nanosecond, as far as I'm concerned, this is just a very bad decision. I hope that some people in the cabinet raise the issue and get a proper cabinet discussion going, because I have a feeling you get a different decision out of the cabinet if it was properly debated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. But clearly not all cabinet ministers are happy about that decision, that's for sure. Are you hearing that as well, rich O, yes, I am. So you've spoken to cabinet ministers who are disappointed with this decision?
Speaker 1: I have, indeed, do you.
Speaker 2: Want to name names?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: No, I don't think that'll be exactly Yeah, I wouldn't be good from my future that alone, there is, but.
Speaker 2: That is significant. So Graham Richardson has just revealed live on air that he has spoken to cabinet ministers in the Albanezy government who are not happy with the decision that I've reported tonight was a captain's call by Penny Wong. I think that is significant. So we'll see how that plays out in the Labor Party. Let's have a look at nuclear energy now, and of course the Energy Minister Chris Bowen has many have said, humiliated our country on the global stage. Australia has refused to sign the nuclear agreement from our Orchist partners and our other allies at the COP twenty nine climate change talks. Now we are clearly seeing this play out. This was a big issue in Question Time today, Let's have a look at what Peter Dutton had to.
Speaker 10: Say at COP twenty nine and additional six nations endorsed the declaration to triple nuclear energy.
Speaker 1: By twenty fifty.
Speaker 10: Why is it the old Nisy government signing up to the same agreement.
Speaker 4: Why is the Albanezi Labor government out of step with the rest of the world which is increasingly taking up civil nuclear energy. Why does the Albanesi government remain so stubbornly opposed to.
Speaker 11: Exploring this proven zero emissions energy source.
Speaker 2: So michae I mean, the question is what does Chris Bowen think He knows that the other thirty or so world leaders who are pursuing nuclear energy as part of their energy mix, you know that they don't know.
Speaker 8: What he knows is that the Labor Party since the nineteen seventies have opposed the mining industry, the uranium industry, the coal industry, the gas industry, anything coming out of the ground. They opposed variety of logical reasons. It was student political stuff when I was at Monitor in the nineteen seventies. They haven't grown up. They're still run by student political activists to sort of ban uranium mining.
Speaker 1: Blah blah, blah.
Speaker 8: They can't grow out of this, this fifty year old trauma that they're suffering from, that anything coming out of the ground is bad. They dislike the mining companies.
Speaker 1: They always have.
Speaker 8: This is all ideological, it's fifty years old. It's another reason why this government is just an embarrassment on the international stage. We see Graham Lloyd wrote in The Australia Today. We're part of this group called Generation four Forum, which is an international forum of countries looking to develop nuclear energy, and we're a member of it. We've been a member for the whole two years of Alberanisi's government. He hasn't seemed to notice. And there's an Australian I know whose chairman are one of the most important subcommittees. So we're heavily involved internationally in the development of nuclear technology. Elbows just worked it out. Bowen's over there embarrassing in the country. This is a losing argument for labor. This is a really losing argument. They look like you know yesterday, yesterday's government quite frankly, Well, Richard, do.
Speaker 2: You think Australia should be energy agnostic when it comes to this and do you think the opposition from federal labor is purely ideological.
Speaker 9: I'm going to say I would prefer to not rule out nuclear options for the future. We don't know whether technology will eventually go and to say no at this point seems to me to be ridiculous. So now I am opposed to my own party on this.
Speaker 2: And do you think the opposition that we are seeing is just ideological rather than based on any sound principles.
Speaker 9: Well, it's certainly not based on science, that's for sure. So as far as I'm concerned, we ought to be standing up to that kind of negatism negativism, and we ought to be saying this is a technology that's worth pursuing.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to get your thoughts on Kevin Rud. Michael Kroger. You've got as hard as anyone on Kevin Rud's ability to work with Trump as the new ambassador. We know we reported at first here that he called Trump a village idiot. Will now he says he's finally ready to work with a president elect. Have a look.
Speaker 1: Here at the embassy.
Speaker 11: We've been working hard through the course of the last year to ensure that we were well prepared for this moment, and the bottom line is We're ready. The team here at the embassy and the Government of Australia are ready to work closely with the new Trump administration to continue to realize the benefits of what is a very strong economic and security partnership.
Speaker 2: And I should mention that Andrew bolt On edges before me. He reported that perhaps Team Trump isn't taking Rudd's phone calls. So, Michael Kroger, do you still have concerns about whether right is the right man for the job of our ambassador in Washington.
Speaker 1: Well, on the.
Speaker 8: Basis of what Andrew bolt revealed tonight, that those reservations are confirmed. I mean the people, let's say Trump forgives people criticize him. I've got to remember this the two example sided JD. Vance and Marca Rubio. These are ranking US senators. These aren't a lowly ambassador. I mean, these guys are serious American political figures now one vice president, one in the cabinet. Now r is not their equivalent. So for this ambassador from Australia to be saying these things about Trump and old Trump's going to forgive him because he's forgiven Vance and Rubio, No, I don't think so. This guy is damaging Australia's credibility. He will damage our trade interest for as long as he's in the embassy in Washington. The good news is for him that he'll be relieved of his job from May onwards. I hope despite what the Liberal parties say federally, they know Dunton and others know how damaging this Blake is and for him to be ringing Marri lagu and I'm sure Andrew Bolt's sources are accurate. By the way, I think I probably know where it's coming from. I think we might all all know.
Speaker 2: Well, let's protect themselves.
Speaker 8: That to be Rud, that'd be Rudd, that'd be right ingratiating himself ringing. There nothing to see here, mate, I'm Kevin Rudd, you know from Queensland.
Speaker 2: No thank you, I'm Kevin and I'm here to help or not help as the case maybe, Richo, what do you think was behind this video message from Kevin Rudd that's made the news today?
Speaker 9: Ego, that's always what it's behind anything that he does.
Speaker 1: He I have never known.
Speaker 9: A supreme egotist like this bloke with us with so little to be egotistical about.
Speaker 2: You always have great lines, rich O. Look, I think the Coalition has played a very straight bat on this because they don't want to be accused of jeopardizing Australia's national interest. So you know, they've left all the criticism up to the media I suppose and commentators. But you know, we will see if Darton wins, surely there'd be a new ambassador in the US, unquestionable, without question.
Speaker 1: Let's hope.
Speaker 2: Let's hope again. Abas Albo, as he's starting to be known, is again getting scrutiny over his overseas trips. The accusation is that he's spending too much time abroad, too little time worrying about the cost of living in Australia. There's a new report showing that nearly half of Australians say that they were in dire straits economically skipping meals, unable to make their rent. Michael, do you think this is a problem for him, this perception that he's spending too much time away.
Speaker 8: I don't and never have criticized Australian Prime Minister's elbow Rudd whoever, for going overseas representing our national interest. I mean, he's been at very important meetings, he's met the Chinese President, he's met the British Prime minister. He's been in a series of very important meetings with allies. I mean, I think it's important for the Australian prime ministers to be represented, for Australia to be represented overseas by their prime minister. So no, I'm not a critical of his trips on the domestic front. Yes, he's got serious problems here. As I've said to you many times, I think his government's going to lose, and you know it doesn't helped by him being away domestically because I think he's got a weak team behind him and he's probably the most influential of the labor cabinet ministers and when he's not here it doesn't help them.
Speaker 2: Richard, you always say, as much as we disagree with you, that you know people on the street you think have the view that Albo is a good guy and that you think he's going to win no problem at the next election. Do you still have that view or do you think given what the polls are showing that it is looking shaky now for Alvin Ezy and that Dutton could win.
Speaker 9: Well that stays the political cycle. You wouldn't expect him to be doing too well. He's got to start turning those numbers around in the next sage three or four months, and I'm confident he'll do that. He knows how to do it. He's done it before and I think he'll be able to do it again. Albo's still a boyfriend. Maryple grew up in the single bedroom flat with an impoverished mother. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think I'll ever forget listening to him talk about some of those days. He understands what it is to struggle, He really does.
Speaker 2: He said he's done it before, But when when's he done it before? Because not when he was fighting Scott Morrison. Scott Morrison's polling numbers were shocking.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean all you can do when you're an opposition leaders did better than your opposing figure, and I think it was genuinely agreed that by the end of the Morrison rain Alba was getting on top of him, and I think he was. I think the history shows it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm disagreeing that he's never made a comeback like this. I don't think he can. What do you think, Michael, Well.
Speaker 8: Look at it this way, Malcolm Fraser turned it around in nine and eighty, but couldn't in eighty three. John Howard turned it round in two o four, but couldn't in two o seven. Kidding turned it around in ninety three, we couldn't in ninety six. Morrison turned it around in nine and with coodnin in twenty two. Albet didn't turn it around in twenty two, and I don't think he'll turn it around in twenty five.
Speaker 2: All Right, Green Richards and Michael Kroger, thank you both very much for your time. We'll see you next Wednesday. Now, this is a big story we've been pursuing on the show over and over again. These are the questions, the serious concerns over Labor spending a billion dollars of taxpayer money to allegedly help its mates under the guise of the future Made in Australia policy. There are new revelations in the media that the Alberti's government engaged external probity advisors only after they received PSI Quantum's unsolicited proposal for taxpayer funded investment. The opposition is claiming that PSI Quantum was given a head start and that the deal was done under a cloak of secrecy. This is based on new freedom of information documents and I'm joined now for more on this by the Shadow Science Minister, Paul Fletcher. Paul, thanks again for your time. Now, what is new that we now know thanks to these new freedom of information documents?
Speaker 12: Well, Shari, as you pointed out in your introduction, what we now know is that ed Husick has been telling us in his defense of what happened, that there was independent probity advice. But we now have the timeline. The independent probity advisor was appointed in January of twenty twenty three. Now the significance of that is that it was in November twenty twenty three when the Albanese labor government agreed to consider an unsolicit proposal from the American company PSI Quantum for an investment in the company. We know that ed Husick personally met the company at least twice before well, including in January in California, and so it very much looks like the probity advisor was appointed after the preferred access had been provided to PSI Quantum, and it raises an obvious question why did Ssiquonum get preferred access. One of the other things we know is that Blackbird, an Australian venture capital company, was an earlier investor in SI Quantum, and therefore of course stood to benefit should the Australian government make a subsequent.
Speaker 1: Investment in PSI Quantum.
Speaker 12: We know that there is a close personal friendship between Ellen Broad who is a senior advisor to Ed Husick, and Kate Glazebrook, who's a senior executive at Blackbird. In fact, we know that Kate Glaisbrook was one of two Blackbird executives appointed by Ed Husick to senior government to government boards and advisory committees in late twenty twenty two. And so when mister Husick is saying, oh, well there was probity advice, we've now discovered and it is I think a significant discovery through this freedom of information process that actually the independent probity advisor didn't start providing advice until well after there had been this preferred access given to SIGH Quantum to speak directly to Minister Husick.
Speaker 2: We've covered previously on the show the extent of the labor connections involved at the various arms of this deal, this process, this investment, a billion dollars of taxpayer funds into a company that should just rely on VC investment and doesn't need taxpayer funding. Now we know that the order to you and always considering a formal inquiry, but you've now moved a motion in the House of Representatives to also have a parliamentary inquiry. What do you want to examine under the parliamentary inquiry? And you're not going to get it up, are you? Or do you think the tills, I mean, they've promised transparency. Are they going to support you on this?
Speaker 1: We'll Sharry you're right.
Speaker 12: This week we moved a motion to establish a select committee of the House of Representatives to have a look at all aspects of the Si Quantum deal and how it was that the alban Easy Labor government together with the now gone Miles Labor government in Queensland, agreed to commit almost a billion dollars of taxpayers money to this American company. Now we'll be continuing to press for that to be brought to a vote and voted on now. Ed Husick has said that he welcomes scrutiny of the Si Quantum deal because he says there's nothing to hide. Well, if he's serious about scrutiny, he will cause the Labor Party to agree to this committee, and certainly we would welcome having cross benches on it, and indeed the motion that we've moved proposers that there would be cross benches on this committee as well as Government and opposition in peace.
Speaker 2: You haven't heard at this point whether the Tills will support your motion for an inquiry if it goes to a vote or when it goes to a vote.
Speaker 12: Not as yet, but we will be seeking at some time to see if we can bring it on for a vote, and will certainly then in that instance be seeking the support of the Tills, and of course we'll be seeking the support of the Government consistent with Minister Hugh Six's words that he welcomes transparency. And now, of course what we've also been doing is using the estimates process. We learned some interesting things in that in recent weeks, including that the Australian Government investment is in three components. One of those has already been paid, it's one hundred and twenty five million dollars and that presently is a convertible loan, but if certain conditions are met, that will turn into an equity investment. Now one of those conditions is that cy Quantum has to raise additional money from private investors. Departmental officials told estimates that as yet that had not happened.
Speaker 2: M All right, a long way to go in that story really is. Look, it's a big story, you've got to say, and there are a lot of conflicts of interest involved. Pop Fletcher, appreciate your time now still to come. Peter Darton has called for a national plan to deal with youth suicide and bullying to help save young lives with a Sunday Telegraph editor and a Caldwell would join me next and later might sit down interview with spiritual guru Deepak Chopra where he says he's done with following politics after Donald Trump's when it could be his most controversial interview yet. That's all coming up, welcome back. Well, we've seen lately a spate of absolutely devastating bullying stories where young people, boys and girls have taken their own lives because of extreme bullying that schools knew about, that parents told schools about, but that just nothing was done, no proper action was taken. Well, this is all come. This is all part of a very powerful documentary. That's the responsibility or that's a credit to The Sunday Telegraph editor Anna Caldwell. The documentary is called Charlotte's Wish. It was made in the name of the twelve year old girl Charlotte O'Brien, who took her own life after horrific bullying. Here's an excerpt from that documentary. They had made group chats and they were calling her fat and ugly and told her to go kill herself.
Speaker 3: There's been another case since it continues to happen today with social.
Speaker 1: Media that they give no rest.
Speaker 2: This issue is worse than twelve years ago. One of the toxic friends said he didn't take enough pills, he didn't try hard enough. How's that for a friend. Persistent targeting of an individual so is that their life becomes unbearable. It's beyond devastating that bullying is taking young Australian lives and leaving too many grieving parents wondering what on earth they could have done to protect their poor child, even though they continually raised it with the school principle. If you haven't seen that documentary yet, it's about twenty minutes long. Please go to the Daily Telegraph website, Google it, find the documentary and watch it. It's so important for every parent to know what issues, what signs to look out for, and to help put the pressure on the governments federally and at a state level to take action or to discuss this more. I'm joined now by the editor of the Sunday and Saturday Telegraph, Anna Quadwell. Anna, I mean that documentary was so emotional, it's so confronting. It's really difficult to watch. But you have put this issue into the national spotlight. Tell us what action you want to happen.
Speaker 13: Thanks, Sharry, thanks so much for that. You're right, it is a really harrowing watch. I think you can see that from that trailer.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 13: The reason we pursued this documentary, and the reason we pursued this difficult topic I think so thoroughly, is because it was the dying wish of Charlotte O'Brien. You know, when she ended her life, she left a note for her parents asking them to raise awareness about bullying. So in investigating this, what we found is that for parents sending their school their kids to school, it's basically a luck of the draw as to whether the schools are going to be equipped to dealing with bullying. Bullying policy has barely evolved over the years. It is a cruel lottery for parents based on whether the schools have their also to deal with it, whether they're trained to deal with it, and how they deal with any given circumstance at any given time. So, what we think needs to happen and what these parents who we've interviewed want to happen is a nationally consistent standard. And when I say nationally consistent, I don't mean coming together on the lowest common denominator. We think experts need to come together to find very high measures, very high standards that schools need to live up to.
Speaker 2: In the documentary, you report that youth suicides have nearly doubled since the iPhone was introduced. Do you think this rise in bullying, you know, is solely because of the rise of social media or is this just one of the many factors it's a factor.
Speaker 13: I mean, we know bullying has been around for deca forever, right, Bullying is just an age old problem. But I think what's happened as time has evolved is that you cannot escape it. So, you know, schools do put measures into place, like some schools banned phones. There's been a consistent approach on that across New South Wales, for example. But it means that when kids go home, whereas traditionally they could leave their bullies at school, their bullies follow them home, They followed them into their bedroom, they follow them late at night, and so I think there is just this relentlessness that hasn't always existed.
Speaker 2: I also think the rise of.
Speaker 13: Social media gives rise to a viciousness that comes in text form. You know, we see these keyboard warriors in adult life. I think it's on a dissimilar thing for kids. You know, I think in some ways the insults and the attacks can become more vile.
Speaker 2: So you're on our saying there should be a consistent approach to bullying nationally. Is that this is what you're campaigning for at the Saturday and Sunday Telegraph. Yes, yes, that's right.
Speaker 13: The great thing was when we raised this issue, many of the premiers were very quick to come to the table and to say that they think there needs to be a national standard. In fact, many shockingly were surprised that they weren't. You know, within a day of us releasing this this documentary pro card, the New South Wales Education Minister announced that she wanted to bring all of the sectors to the table in New South Wales to create a state based bullying policy.
Speaker 2: But we think it needs to go further. All right, Well Anna Cordwell, thank you for coming on. This is such a powerful campaign. We're going to stick on it and let's hope that it saves some young lives. Thanks Sherry, Thanks so much. And if you or anyone you know is struggling to cope, you can call Lifeline on thirteen eleven fourteen. Lifeline on thirteen eleven fourteen. Now coming up Labour's or WELLI and Misinformation Bill looks like it's dead in the water. Well, what does this mean for our free speech? I'm going to talk about that with media lawyer Justin Quill later. Plus, Depak Chopper explains why he's quitting politics, quitting following politics after Donald Trump's election. That's after this quick break, welcome back. Well, a few months ago, you might remember I spoke to Depak Chopper. He was in the States to discuss the social unrest that has spread across the globe after October seven. Since then, a lot has changed the US election. We're in a time of uncertainty, and war, and I caught up with Deepak Chapra this afternoon. He's in Sydney at the moment, and I asked his take on the current political climate. His controversial answers came as a surprise. Here's that interview. Deepact, Thank you so much for your time. So wonderful to see you here in Australia.
Speaker 1: Thank you, it's great to be with you again.
Speaker 2: Well, since we last spoke in September, the US election took place. You're passionate about not just spiritual wellbeing but health as well. We've seen Donald Trump announce RFK as his health secretary. Obesity is a major problem in America. Do you have confidence that RFK will make a change and we'll be able to tackle this?
Speaker 3: I find RK full of contradiction and paradox. He is views on nutrition, health and well being are actually quite good. However, you seem gorging on McDonald's on the jet, on.
Speaker 1: The private jet.
Speaker 3: He doesn't look like the perfect example of you know, somebody who could tackle abiste himself. And he has other views which of course also controversial, like you know, the whole vaccine conspiracy and the fact that vaccines cause autism for which there's no proof. I know that a lot of people have very strong opinions about these matter, especially vaccines, and yes, vaccines could have certain side effects, so does everything. And for a person who grew up in India, where I saw people dying of ado, of smallpox, even measles, tuberculosis, I saw people on respirators, friends and relatives who lost their lives. It's very difficult for anyone to convince me that vaccines don't prevent some kinds of very devastating diseases. So having said that, you know, America elected mister Trump, and America basically was quite honest in the fact that they want to miss their leader.
Speaker 1: And if he chooses a cabinet with the likes.
Speaker 3: Of RFK and what's his name, Matt Gates, who's been accused of all kinds of things, including sex trafficking, then that's what apparently is the face of.
Speaker 1: America right now.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure everyone who's been you know, who's been guilty of things like this. First we'll start with mister Trump pardoning himself and then his colleagues, but why not, why not pardon all the other people in prison right now? It just seems very strange to me, and I have decided personally to totally disengage from politics.
Speaker 1: It's not that you.
Speaker 2: Just in America, just in America globally in.
Speaker 3: General, because you know, the politics by itself, the more I look at it is all about parmongering, influence, speddling, cronyism, corruption followed the money trail and very mail dominated across the board and so but just what it is. So you know, we have to accept these facts that whoever the president is and lawfully legally elected, must reflect the values of the country. And if these are the values of America, so beet well.
Speaker 2: I think it reflects this result in America, this disillusionment with the working class, with the political and media elite. You know, Trump represents the opposite to that. So, you know, do you think we are seeing a movement or an uprising by the working class against the values the ideology that is being foisted on them.
Speaker 1: I see that that the working classes.
Speaker 3: Is disenchanted, and I feel very strong that seified, you know, because they're marginalized. The working people are marginalized. But I don't see this administration as being their champion, because, if anything, the rich are going to get richer with all their tax cuts, and the very people that have hope in this new administration are going to be left out. And I'm not saying that the other side could have been better. Yeah, you know, it's just that it's the nature of bipartisan politics for politicians.
Speaker 1: To look out for themselves. Period.
Speaker 2: In Australia, like in many other global cities, we've seen a lot of social unrest. We've seen aggressive protesters, violence, anti semitism, hatred. A lot of my viewers in particular, have been very distressed over the past year because of the anti semitism, this increase in racism that we're seeing. What's your advice for us when we're trying to cope in this tumultuous time.
Speaker 3: Be peaceful yourself, don't be racist, and hang out with people like that. And then create your own communities. You know, there are three things you can do. One is create your own ecosystem, community of service, community, and of.
Speaker 1: A spiritual bond. You know.
Speaker 3: Social scientists say that if we have shared vision, maximum diversity, complement everybody's strengths, and create a spiritual and emotional bond, then you can create a community which is peaceful and just.
Speaker 2: On an individual level, you hear most people say they feel busier than they ever have been. They don't have enough time for their loved ones. What do you suggest when people come to you with this problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think only busy people have time. People who say I don't have time, they're just distracted. If you're totally focused on what you're doing in the moment and you're present, there's no fatigue. Fatiguers when you think about the future, anticipate the future, or you regret the past, but when you bring presents to any experience, there's absolutely no fatigue.
Speaker 2: So on an individual level, staying present, be present, Be present.
Speaker 1: This is the only moment you have.
Speaker 2: Just finally, what's your best advice for staying healthy both mentally and physically.
Speaker 1: Don't resist existence. Be go with the flow that you have no choice.
Speaker 3: The moment you resist existence, in this moment, you're distressed. I recognize and recognize the impermanence of your existence. I once saw a grieve saye to where there was a saying.
Speaker 1: It said.
Speaker 3: There was a saying on the grief sade and said, where you are I once was, and where I am you will soon be. So accept that impermanence. Once you accept impermanence, every moment is precious.
Speaker 2: It is indeed, well, thank you for spending your precious moments with me here back really appreciate, thank you, Thank you. And the full interview with Deepak Chopper, where he also spoke about how he thinks humans are going to evolve into a meta species thanks to AI that'll be online at skynews dot com dot au. Shortly right after this shot break, Veteran media lawyer Justin Quill will talk us through Labors Misinformation Bill, which hopefully looks like it's dead, buried and cremated. What this means for our free speed each an for censorship Next, well, good news now that it looks like Anthony Albaneze's mission to introduce totalitarian style misinformation laws are set to fail. This after cross bench senators have basically all come out to say that they are going to oppose the laws when it goes to a vote in the Senate next week. Now the desperate Albanize government is basically out of cross benj allies. Now they're left scrambling to discuss this more. I'm joined by media lawyer and partner at major law firm at Thompson Gear justin Quill, justin great to see you. Look, these were always dangerous, o'wellian laws. You and I have been speaking about this for a year and a half now, and yet the Albaneze government never backed down on them. The only reason it looks like they're going to fail is because of the cross bench in the Senate.
Speaker 14: Yeah, extraordinary that it was even contemblided, extraordinary that it was put forward seriously, and then just bewildering.
Speaker 15: That here we are months and months later, even after everyone pointed out all the problems with this proposed exercition, but absolutely bewildering that we are still here and that they haven't completely abandoned it.
Speaker 16: So look, I guess it's a case of when you're in government, you're trying to control the narrative. And that's exactly what they're trying to do. They're trying to control what people are saying and what people are thinking.
Speaker 15: So concerning.
Speaker 16: I know that sounds bisire and saying it, but that's what that's what this bill was attempting to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is this obsession with And I actually think it's an obsession by the Prime Minister because we heard during the Voice debate that he kept saying in Parliament he kept accusing no campaigners of misinformation and disinformation. Linda Berney used it in misinformation line as well. I mean, what's their obsession with controlling information on the internet. Why not just people have free speech and have different points of view. Not everyone has to agree with him on topics like the vice.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, I think it comes down to confidence, confidence in yourself. If you're not confident in what you're doing, then you don't want to expose yourself to transparency and expose yourself to people's opinions because you probably did down know that those opinions are going to win out against him. The concerning thing about this bill, of course, was that it was designed to capture a government Authorities actmo Alboy. Some people say it's independent, but it's ultimately a government body appointed by the government what they considered to be reasonably verifiable as false, misleading or deceptive information. And then it was to control and move and potentially investigat or even jail people in relation to that what they consider false, misleading or deceptive. I mean that's extraordinary stuff what might be considered false today, Like later after discussion we found me be true. I think about Sharon, you almost as a lone voice in fact, on the question of whether the COVID came from Wupan lab, and people cry that you're saying, OK, that is absolutely false, of misleading, its and deceptive. Now here we are today and I don't think anyone can say that with anything, neither the gusto.
Speaker 2: They did exactly. And there have been so many other issues, not just that you just said then even jail I spoke about this on Monday night. But I think that's something that wasn't well understood that even jail time could have been. And I say it could have been. I mean it hasn't gone to the vote in the Senate yet, we're expecting it's going to be voted down, but justin people could have even been jailed for misinformation. You've got about thirty seconds here.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, what we're talking about there, that's just be clear. Is it not for the publication of misinformation? But the government through the minister, could conduct an investigation and if you don't comply with that investigation, provide information, provide documents, answer questions, then you could be jailed and serious style term it's not just a day of here or a day. We're talking up to a year after not complying with handing over a documents, or another year if you don't answer question. So it was in the context of not complying with an investigation. Still very concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely insanity. Is the sort of stuff we see in Russia and China. We shouldn't have even been fighting this cause in Australia. Justin quil Thank you so much for joining me tonight. That's all we've got time. Thanks for watching. I'll see you tomorrow at eight o'clock. Here's Paul Murray.