Speaker 1: Appoja Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Poison, the podcast about the allegations about a social media influencer who allegedly drugged one of her children to gain followers and in turn cash in. As always on the podcast, I'm joined by Mickey Fisher, who's a social media content creator, a Reiki instructor and a mum of three kids.
Speaker 3: Massive day, I've received about a thousand CM.
Speaker 2: We found out about eleven oh six am this morning, and I found out from you. I was in a meeting and you text with the announcement from police media. They basically told everyone or certainly media that there was going to be a press conference within the hour, and so we were able to drop everything and head to that press conference today.
Speaker 4: I was there. You've now seen it online.
Speaker 2: In the room, there's about thirty reporters who all get to ask questions of the detective inspector who had been running the case. Actually going to play that whole audio now from that police inspector who was leading the case into these allegations.
Speaker 5: We are good. My name's Paul Dalton.
Speaker 6: I'm a detective inspector in charge of the South Risban District Child Protection Investigation Unit.
Speaker 5: Before we start.
Speaker 6: I'll like to advise that the nature of the offense and charges discussed may be distressing to.
Speaker 5: Some people here and who later may view their recording.
Speaker 6: I can advise that earlier today, detectives from the Morning Side Child Protection Investigation Unit attendant to Logan where they arrested a thirty four year old Sunshine Case woman in relation to allegedly poisoning a one year old girl who.
Speaker 5: Was known to her.
Speaker 3: So right now you are under arrest for the administration of poison. You have the right train silent, you don't have to say.
Speaker 1: Anything, and it's running.
Speaker 3: But she's in the best statement unless she was.
Speaker 6: On the fifteenth of October last year, medical staff from a hospital in Brisbane South contact the police in relation to concerns they had of harm that was being caused to a child.
Speaker 5: That was a patient at that hospital.
Speaker 6: Police attended took immediate action to ensure the safety of the child, commenced an investigation operation Whiskey Hitch was subch only commenced and operated out of the Morning Side CPIU, which today resulted in charges being laid against the thirty four year old Sunshine Case women for eleven offenses. These offenses include five administering poison with the intent to harm, three counts of preparation to commit crimes with dangerous things, one count of torture, one count of making child exploitation material, and one charge of fraud. In relation to these charges, police will be alleging that between the sixth of August last year and the fifteenth of October, the woman administered several prescription and pharmacy medications to the one year year old girl without medical approval.
Speaker 5: We were further.
Speaker 6: Alleged but the woman went their links to conceal her continued efforts to a minister the unauthorized medicine until the offense was detected by medical staff and police while the child was being subject to it to immense distress and pain. It is alleged the woman filmed and posted footage of this of the child. It's also alleged that the content produced exploitation material that the child was suffering at the time, and this was used to entice monetary donations from unknown followers. There are no words to describe just how repulsive offense of this nature are. Child protection investigators regularly have to deal with investigators investigate offenses against children of very serious and distressing ways. There is no excuse for hurting a child, particularly one so young that is dependent on adults too careful and love for them. CPOU detectors are committed and continuing work every day. They do their best to make sure that our kids are safe, and I lead a lot of them, and I know what they're like. They are title us and their endeavors to do that, and they are just as entire titus and ruthless when it comes to tracking down perpetrators or alleged perpetrators who hurt our kids. We'll do everything that we possibly can and make sure that these people are held accountable.
Speaker 2: The first question from a reporter was is there anyone else being investigated in this case?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: The investigation now has been conducted.
Speaker 2: And the follow up question from that same reporter, so the father had no involvement at all.
Speaker 6: As I said before, we've investigated a lot of people in relation to this. The idea events that we can establish to the satisfaction of the court is the lady.
Speaker 5: We charged can probably go back.
Speaker 6: And I'm very mindful here that I'm whether a young child is our victim, I have to respect that child's the reason the child was a hospital to start with other family members and where that child is now central. The child was at a hospital for quite a serious metal condition that was being treated on the fifteenth of October. Hospital staff had enough information enough concerns to call police. Detectives from the CPOU attended that day and their first concern, as it is with any child protection investigation, is the welfare and the safety of that child. I won't explain the process that we use, but the child was immediately put into a situation that we were satisfied they were in a safe position, and it also extends to siblings and other family matters. Since that time, we've been running out quite a thorough investigation. It's gone for several months, as the timeline indicates, then investigates and involved a lot of forensic and medical statements opinion from the experts that US police don't understand, and that is sort of explains why it's taken to this stage to get to.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's as far as I can take you with that.
Speaker 2: How important was the woman's social media in your investigation and the posts that she'd made.
Speaker 6: That look, that's become what we will allege you be the motive there essentially, and once again I'll stress this is an allegation, but we believe that the person we have charged has administered these drugs, this poison to increase that person's social media profile and views and thereby obtaining a financial benefit.
Speaker 7: Was the child ever actually sick and did she actually undergo some of the medical procedures and surgeries that the mother claimed in these videos.
Speaker 6: Look, the child was in hospital and being treated for quite as three as illness. That's as far as I'll go with that. As far as what we will say the result of the administering of the poison, all I can say it was a medical episode, and the experts have described vibe that the child would have been going through severe emotional and physical distress.
Speaker 2: And heart In terms of the motive, will you allege that it was more important seeing the following than the monetary side of it?
Speaker 5: I think one leads to the other. Yeah, I think, And look, I'm not a big.
Speaker 6: Up to date on social mere mind is seeing the more views you get, the more following it, the more opportunity there is.
Speaker 5: To make money.
Speaker 7: How much.
Speaker 6: So we're a less in the days that are between the eighth of August and the fifteenth October, and we're saying just over sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 7: And what has happened to that money? Have you been able to recover any of it or has it been spent? And if so, what on?
Speaker 5: So we've been dealing with gofund ME.
Speaker 6: I understand through my investigators that they are making attempts to repay that money to the people through the condness of the heart who've donated that money, and we will be seeking that money back in restitution should she be convicted a later day. Children back in the father's care.
Speaker 5: All I can say is the kids are safe.
Speaker 8: What were the drugs being administered allegedly improperly?
Speaker 6: There are words I cannot pronounce and and look at all seriousness what we now say was in the child's system as a matter for the court to determine one way or the other. So I won't go down that line because I don't want to jeopardize any future court cases. Yeah, child's going, the child's going. Well, can you talk about how she tried to conceal her behavior? No, that'll be part of the matter before the court of the moment. So I'm probably crossing to many lines there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have.
Speaker 7: You seized any assets that you believe are the proceeds of this crime?
Speaker 5: Or will you be seeking to do so? No, we haven't.
Speaker 6: No, we'll be seeking to Basically, those days I explained relate to the fraud between I. Was it August and October? That's the sixty thousand dollars. That's what we've charged. That's what we were alleging has been taken. That's the money we'll be seeking back from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you forensically go through her social media accounts?
Speaker 4: Did matter? And those types of companies help me through?
Speaker 6: That's all been done to what extents are and there's probably a bit too gritty for me to know, but I'm satisfied that the investigators has gone through all of her social media counts through our forensic computer experts that we do use.
Speaker 7: That's sixty thousand dollars. Did that all end up in this woman's hands or did it remain with go fund Me?
Speaker 5: No? No, it's with the woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are five counts. Was there how have we decided there were five extences? And was there video or photographic evidence?
Speaker 6: Okay, we're probably getting close to that line where I can't comment too much. Further, Those five counts of that particular administrator relate to a specific drug that was that we alleged was in the child's system when we did tests.
Speaker 5: There are more.
Speaker 6: Than five occasions where we believe the child was administer that that drug.
Speaker 8: They all pharmaceutical, prescription drugs or were there any creational?
Speaker 6: There was pharmaceutical and there was one one from a chemist as well.
Speaker 1: Have you received any advice from medical experts on what could have happened to this child had investigators not.
Speaker 3: Stepped in when they do.
Speaker 6: It's been described that gravely hill great, gravely ill with the possibility of the child passing away in your time.
Speaker 7: As a police officer, I mean, how cawless is this allegedly of course the legs that she went to to simply get likes and views.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, it's you try and put on the words to describe this, and with any child abuse matter, it's quite difficult. I think it's horrendous on a few different levels here. Generally speaking, it's affected a lot of people. Not only are we alleging that the child was tortured over three month period, now again use Tha's words, suffered, se mere emotional and physical distress and harm. Siblings would be aware of this. Are the innocent family members that be aware of this. This follows on to the good people in our community who followed this person, supported this person, provided they're harder and cash to do that, which also follows on. We've got to understand too, and I think is important to note that the hospital staff must be extremely distressed and anxious about what happened here, and they've done nothing wrong at all. You know, we will be alleging that this person has done what she's done in defiance of mendical opinion. So it affects a lot of people. And I think the worst thing that could happen would be if as a society we lose our generous, oussie nature where we dig in and help our mates out because of one bad incident. Of course, we've got to be careful where we're sending our money, what we're doing with it. But as I said, I hate to see us to see us lose that ausie spirit of helping your mate over something that doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 2: Being this is the first case that we've seen in Australia. Does this open your eyes to this happening with other influence.
Speaker 6: Yeah, possibly, Yeah, as far as it could be happening elsewhere.
Speaker 5: Look, I e could Yeah, the mother did.
Speaker 1: Claim that, uh, the child's after virginity they talk about, but was does that appear to be the case or will the police allege that the officers were primarily brought along life?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, there was no doubt the child wasn't hospital for initially for a genuine reason r genuine serious health reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What about the social media companies TikTok et cetera.
Speaker 5: Did they have a what disponsibility they have?
Speaker 8: And you know what happens to these posted his material?
Speaker 5: Ah, Look, I can't comment on that.
Speaker 6: People post what they like on on on these on these formats all the time. I think a little bit of responsibility goes back probably the person that's actually viewing it. If you don't like it, just just get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Was there any indication that she had munch Housing's white proxy or was this purely just the monetary and followers?
Speaker 6: Actually, that has not been raised to us by any person during the interview, during the investigation, and certainly we found no evidence to suggest that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be incoporated with police, and how was her response this morning?
Speaker 5: Looked at it, she was copper with police. She went with police.
Speaker 6: I mean she was placed on at rest, so she had no choice in the matter.
Speaker 7: Was she surprised or what? What was sort of the reaction you got when you turned up on the door?
Speaker 4: Oh, I wasn't there.
Speaker 6: I had other detectives go down there with it, and no one likes it's knocking on the door.
Speaker 5: One arresting them. But there was no no issues.
Speaker 4: Does she have legal representation?
Speaker 5: I believe she doesn't.
Speaker 4: You in the real.
Speaker 1: Police you say that she disregarded medical advice?
Speaker 6: Would aye alleging that someone advised her not to do this because one.
Speaker 5: Knew about it.
Speaker 6: We're alleging that that the hospital has had given her and made the offender or wherever treatment plane, anything outside that treatment plane, you're not taking it the advice?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what sort of placement to police?
Speaker 3: Hope?
Speaker 4: And what sort of postman will prosecute to seeking president?
Speaker 6: Look, God, there's probably going too far down the line.
Speaker 5: We we got it.
Speaker 6: These are any allegations at this stage. I will say that like the offense of two, you can do fourteen years for that child exploitation material is twenty years, so the consequences can quite be can be quite severe.
Speaker 8: Was this woman allegedly, you know, naive or brazen and given this child the wrong medication? Or was she trying to make the child appear six to get sympathy and likes and stuff like.
Speaker 5: Was she trying to hurt the child? Was saying it was an intentional act to gain a benefit the woman.
Speaker 7: Does she remain in custody ahead of that court appearance tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Correct? Yeah, she's in custody now.
Speaker 6: She appear the Brison manustrates court in the morning, and we've objected to a bail.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Things that really stood out to me as quite significant. One the fact that he said that the police have objected to bail, which means that bail is not an option. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Correct, Well, yes, the police have objected to it.
Speaker 2: However, it's still up to a judge to decide whether it's relevant or not. That's the that's the prosecution case, but the defense's case might be something else. They might say, well, actually she needs she can't, she's not a flight risk, etc.
Speaker 5: Etc.
Speaker 4: Etc.
Speaker 2: So really that's going to be decided tomorrow. In what is in her first mention, which is before the matches's court. As we heard, there's eleven charges in all. Let's just recap those now you've got them in front of you.
Speaker 3: So we've got five counts of administering poison with intent to harm, three counts of preparation to commit crimes with dangerous things, one count of torture, one count of child exploitation material, and one count of fraud.
Speaker 4: The torture, for me, was the most shocking charge. It's just that word.
Speaker 3: I think it's also interesting to talk about the dates within the parameters that all of this is. They're basically working within the sixth of August last year, twenty twenty four to the fifteenth of October twenty four, which is the day that police were called and notified by the hospital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's sort of not very long.
Speaker 2: No, it's a really short amount of time that they they're investigating or they have investigated. So I was in that press conference, I got to ask a couple of questions. One of my core questions was how much of a role did looking into her social media posts play in the investigation? And I think the inspector heard my question, but maybe took it in a different way. What I was trying to say.
Speaker 4: Was was it actually.
Speaker 2: Helpful for them to just have a catalog of what she'd already said? And so a lot of the time when this stuff happens, it might be a he said, she said type thing where you need other witnesses to come forward to say No. She definitely told me that in this case, it's not that. Because she posted a on social media everyone to see, it would be really interesting to see how the dad is feeling today because that was explicit. A reporter asked was the father a person of interest and the answer from the detective was no, Yes.
Speaker 3: That to me was very interesting that it's like that was just completely dismissed.
Speaker 2: This is the Queensland Police body camera footage that's been shared with us. It shows two female detectives attending the house that this woman was staying at, Nie Logan, so the opposite end to where she lived.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 2: You can see them knock on the door and she comes to the door. It's clear that she wasn't expecting them because she's dressed in her pajamas and carrying.
Speaker 4: A pink water bottle. As she sits down. The police go through the charges.
Speaker 2: Now, in the video that's been shared, there's a lot of muted audio that means they've silenced the audio.
Speaker 4: They've done that because the police officers are obviously.
Speaker 2: Talking about the young girl and naming her and talking about information that right now shouldn't be shared given the nature of the young child we're talking about.
Speaker 4: And then you hear them read the charges to her.
Speaker 3: So right now you are under arrest for the administration of poison child. You have the right train silent. You don't have to say anything, answer any but she's in a police statement unless.
Speaker 4: She wish to do so.
Speaker 2: She grabs her face in her hands and then she's led to an awaiting plane clothes police car and taken into custody and most likely is at Brisbane Watchhouse. Her face is blurred in the vision and by rights because these are allegations still, but what you can see is her hands go to her head as if she's obviously really upset about what's happening and the fact that she's been arrested.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that the Queensland Police even released that footage, especially so quickly. Do you think that that is is that normal procedure because I had a few people going, that's really fascinating that that was even released to the public.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: I think it's a very big public interest case. Yeah, and in the interest of child protection, it makes sense for the police to release the fact that they have charged this woman with these allegations and they're proceeding given their evidence and the investigations. So I think, you know, it's unusual, but this whole thing is unusual, right. It's not something we're saying in Australias. Certainly not something I've heard about in Australia at this level.
Speaker 3: And that was one of the questions you asked as well. I'm pretty sure that was you who asked about whether or not there's been anything similar.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think again, I think the detective I might not have framed the question right. But the question what I was trying to ask is is this now an area of concern for police in future because we know there are a whole bunch of social media influences that use their children in posts.
Speaker 4: And earn money out of that.
Speaker 2: Now, we're not saying that all of those people have nefarious thoughts and what the reasons they're using children, But again, it goes back to that whole piece of should kids be in social media posts of influencers based on the fact that they don't have they're not giving permission about it.
Speaker 3: That's actually so true because one of the most serious charges, and I think the one that has the longest prison sentence, is the child exploitation materials and that is in reference to the woman filming this child in distress and vulnerable situations. That's not unusual to anything that we would see online. That content in itself, regardless of how the child got that way. That's that's exploitive we see everywhere. So then really that does open up that conversation of going, well, is should this be policed or not police?
Speaker 8: Should this?
Speaker 3: Should this be something that we're really taking very seriously across the board.
Speaker 2: And what I thought was really interesting from the detective who admitted himself that he wasn't a social media expert, but he did say, obviously the onus is on the person posting it, but the onus is on the people watching it. And so if you're uncomfortable with seeing to children being exploited on social media, the best way you can stop it is to stop following that person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 2: So what happens now day, Well, she's going to appear in the Brisbane Magistrate Court tomorrow morning. Right now, we don't know what time that is, but we have put forward calls to Brisbane courts and this is what's called a first mention, and nothing really happens in a first mention. It's primarily procedural, and what's most likely to happen is the charges are going to be read out to the accused. The accused then can indicate whether they plead guilty or they plead not guilty. If they plead guilty, the court proceeds to sentencing or adjourns the matter for a sentencing hearing, and then if they plead not guilty, the case is adjourned for a trial date to be set or for further proceedings. So tomorrow's Magistrate's court appearance won't be the end. There is a chance tomorrow the judge will issue a suppression order or could issue a suppression order, which means in that case we might be required to stop the podcast for a period of time. But we will follow the direction of the courts because, as we said from the outset, the last thing we want to do is hinder an investigation or an ongoing court matter the moment, we know more Tomorrow we'll bring you another episode as soon as we can, as long as, of course, it doesn't harm the case anyway. Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what pod shape really cares about. Right now, there's thousands of people listening to this show and our other True Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.