Speaker 1: A team. Welcome to another installing the You Project. Craig Anthony Harper just chiming in. I know you thought it might be someone different today, but it's not fucking me. So here we are. I hope you're having a good day. Things are rolling at Bloody Camp, typ Camp, the You Project lots on. We've started a thing called the seven Day Kickstart. Depending on when you listen to this, of course a million people have dived in. We're having fun, we're enjoying the frivolities, and it's great to see people getting a little bit excited about doing something positive and constructive and proactive to change something about their life or their habits, or the thinking or their behavior. Which is what we're about now today. Is I have a typ debutante and also a podcast debutante. He's a podcast vergin, So be really gentle with him. His name's Toby Quinn. He and I go way back. His official name he's grown up, big boy, big pants. Name is to buy but fuck that. I don't other people do. How many people call you Tobias and how many people you call people call you Toby?
Speaker 2: What's the split? It'd be close to fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Who calls you Tobias like I feel like people who are angry at you.
Speaker 3: No, it's actually the other way, the Tobias Quinn. You know, when you walk into a room, ah, Tobias Quinn and when you sit down and have a chat.
Speaker 2: With the friends and buddies.
Speaker 1: So it's quite posh, isn't it, Like you don't it's how many Tobiases have you met? Ah?
Speaker 2: Two two? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Other than myself, it's not nearly as fancy as Craig, is it?
Speaker 2: Well, Craigo if you had the ol on the end's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Craigo. See, people can tell, like the people who yeah jumbo fatty rps. People who call me Craigo have known me for a long time. So there's about probably fifty people in the world who call me that, which is I guess that's a lot, but that's generally family friends, or people that family and friends, and or people that I've just known for a really long time. Now let's give everyone the background. So when give or take, when did you and I meet? What year do you reckon?
Speaker 3: That was nineteen ninety nine, so that's twenty six years ago, so you must have only been about seven.
Speaker 2: I think it was just turning.
Speaker 3: I think it was around my eighth birthday.
Speaker 1: And so to give everyone perspective, so Toby worked for me with me at one of my centers. Over the years, I had four gyms, and Toby worked at my corefield gym here in the thriving metropolis of Melbourne. So how old were you really when you started working with me?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm fifty now, so I'll let you do the math.
Speaker 1: Twenty four, so twenty six years ago. So give will take you at twenty four and what how do we end up? I don't even know. I should know more than this, but I did like five hundred trainers. How did we end up working together? How did you end up coming to Harper's?
Speaker 2: I was what was I doing? So I had to do my SERTs. Wanted to be a PT.
Speaker 3: I did a certificate in or a diploma of fitness, and then did a bit of travel and I came back and I was like, I think I want to get into that.
Speaker 2: Moved to Melbourne, found.
Speaker 3: High energy network, yes with Rusty, Tara, yourself and Jack and everybody. Yeah, and loved it. Love listening to you. Learnt a lot that was excited to get into the PT world and interviewed with you finally in ninety nine, which didn't go well.
Speaker 1: So I interviewed you for your position, did I?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In that was the one on the highway, Yeah, the big one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an Apan Highway, so brighton. Yeah, how did I remember this? I may have interviewed a few people. Yeah, yeah, throw me under the bus. What did I do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was a little bit trendier than Craig Harper is now and I was wearing.
Speaker 2: Like camo shorts and a T shirt.
Speaker 3: And you were like this guy turning up to an interview.
Speaker 2: Dress like that.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was very professional, but luckily won you over and ended up managing Collfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was pretty cool but funny story.
Speaker 1: Well you were, well you're still a handsome bugger, but you you were. I think when back in the day you were modeling, you were doing quite a lot of that, and I feel like you were trying to figure shit out back in those days, like because you had a few balls in the air you were doing or you had done a fair bit of security, getting punched in the face and all those things. Not much dollars an hour, just like your boss for a period of time and then but some modeling and some PT what was the how did you end up in the middle of all of that?
Speaker 3: So when I left school, obviously not real bright as we know, we can say that now, not real bright, didn't know what I wanted to do, and some security work came up.
Speaker 2: So I was working in the fitness industry.
Speaker 3: Was a PT in Canberra back in the day, and started doing security in the casino industry.
Speaker 1: That like, what was that? Like?
Speaker 2: It was for me?
Speaker 3: It was a really cool experience, very professional, well run obviously you know they were the casinos Austria, so they were very well run, a lot of training. But I was lucky you to get off at a position up in cans and was security supervisor up there of that casino when it opened in ninety five.
Speaker 1: Hey, and what year were you born?
Speaker 2: I was born in seventy four.
Speaker 1: So twenty one year head of security for a casine.
Speaker 3: Know, I was a supervisor. I wasn't the head of security, one of the supervisors. And that was a really cool experience. Big team, well trained, Our management was x sas so we're the high highest trained casino security team in the world at that stage, which was really cool, but I got bored, didn't enjoy what I was doing, needed more. So a summer camp job came up and I thought I'm out, so I went and did that.
Speaker 1: What before we go into that? What? What do you when you're doing security in a casino? What I mean? What do you do?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What are you looking for? Are you looking for people who are cheating? Are you or are you just throwing pissed blokes out? Or people? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like? What?
Speaker 1: What are your primary roles?
Speaker 2: So all of that, all of the above.
Speaker 3: But if you're you could work in the surveillance area of the casino where you're watching gaming and making sure people are behaving and not stealing, watching the dodgies, or you're on the floor on the door. You know, different roles, different things. Letting intoxicated patrons gamble is a big no no. So I think I still have the record for the most removals of people out of cans casino, which, for those that don't know, Queenslanders seem to be able to or think they can drink a lot more than anybody else and don't think they're intoxicated, so it's quite a challenge. To try and tell them that they are intoxicated and they are not welcome in the facility.
Speaker 2: So that caused a little bit of trouble often.
Speaker 1: And how long did it take you to get efficient, competent, skilled at getting drunk? Potentially I guess every now and then someone who is a little bit angry or potentially violent or a little bit unpredictable. How do you do that? Because obviously you don't want to be rolling around the floor of the casino, and you need to maintain this sense of professionalism and quality and excellence while doing what it can be a pretty shitty job.
Speaker 3: So in that environment, it's way different to door work. So doing door work in a nightclub or a bar is completely different to the way you treat patrons in a casino. Everything's recorded, you're filmed the whole time. We normally try and approach people three at a time with distance.
Speaker 2: To start with.
Speaker 3: If it heats up, we have little hand gestures or signals where we'd bring the team in and then we'd tighten up on them. We'd restrain them before we do anything if it got violent. But most of the time it'd be using your words well to try and try and escort them out and just let them know why, and you know, as little hassle as possible. But yeah, as I said, the Queenslanders do like to drink a lot more than most people.
Speaker 2: From my experience, where did you grow up, camera boy?
Speaker 1: And what was that? Like?
Speaker 2: How far back do you want to go?
Speaker 1: As far as you? I mean, I mean today is really just I don't know You've got There's a few things I want to talk to you about, but I know you have an interesting backstory, and I just think, like, I mean this with full respect, because you're doing some really cool things and you're building an amazing thing, which we'll talk about later. But I like talking to people who are just kind of on the journey. Not necessarily the megastar, not necessarily the billionaire or the Olympic athlete or the person who qued cancer or you know, but just because you had from as from what I can remember, you didn't have the best childhood of all time.
Speaker 2: No, it was a pretty rough upbringing.
Speaker 3: And more so, looking back on it now, I'm actually amazed that you know how I turned out without blow my own trumpet, a horn or any of that stuff. But like my dad left when I was three, single mom who had to work to keep a roof over ahead, you know, two jobs. Wasn't home a lot. So I grew up very quickly, which.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound so bad.
Speaker 3: But then when you're in the school system and teachers are talking to you like you're, you know, a child, when you've had to be an adult, that level of disrespect, I couldn't really handle very well and didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't enjoy it. But you were a child though I was.
Speaker 1: I was, so they weren't really disrespect Well, it's that, but I know what you mean, because you'd been used to having to do adult things. Yeah, now you go to school and it's a different energy.
Speaker 2: It is completely different energy.
Speaker 3: So even like I remember, you know, I used to get in trouble all the time, but it wasn't I never did anything really naughty. I just didn't like to be treated a certain way and thought, you know, I don't know if it was a righteous thing or you know, how dere you talk to me like that, But I've spent how old.
Speaker 1: Were you when you started pushing back?
Speaker 2: Young? Like I'm talking ten eleven, twelve?
Speaker 3: You know, I had to work it, you know, twelve years old I'm watching motorbikes and stuff like that to give money to my mother. So weak as sur vive, right, So, you know, not your general childhood. But yeah, I spend most of my time at school in the corridor, to the point where I remember drawing the corridor three dimensional bricks and all.
Speaker 2: I was out there that often.
Speaker 3: So, you know, as far as education goes, it was quite tough, you know, and the teachers back then were a bit different to.
Speaker 2: The way they are now.
Speaker 3: And yeah, like I remember turning up late to class and that the you know, the smartest kid in the school was behind me, but I was the one that got in trouble.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, but how come he doesn't get in trouble? You know, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: What was the thing that you wanted to do when you were a kid, or the thing that you were good at, or maybe the thing that you were fascinated with doing or being when you thought about what you might do eventually as a grown up.
Speaker 3: It's a super interesting question because I think about this often.
Speaker 2: I never had a passion or.
Speaker 3: A drive to be or do anything, but knew that I wanted to be different or had a sense that I was different. So never been a drink and never done drugs, never being mixed up in any of that stuff. But you know, my school was pretty rough as well, so I didn't really mix well with that side of things. So the journey towards the security was kind of a natural progression for me. I did martial arts growing up, played rugby, was in the gym early, you know, I started training when I was about fourteen, lifting weights, So that was kind of a natural progression, but I didn't enjoy it. I enjoyed talking to people. I enjoy people, but I didn't enjoy being the security of people.
Speaker 2: And growing up, you know.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of alcoholism around my childhood, you know, going to Christmas with my parents or my mum and seeing the violence that came from that. We'd go to the football, there be a fight at the football, you know, with all these you know, Mum's so called friends, and I didn't like it. I didn't want to be around it. And that's you know, one of the reasons why I never drank.
Speaker 2: I just wasn't didn't want to be a part of that life.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny that sometimes in our life we see things that we don't want to be or that we don't want to do, and nobody necessarily points it out to you. Like I grew up and not that my mum and dad were terrible with booze, but there was always our cohol in my home. Mum and dad pretty much from when I can remember, they drank every day. You know, I wouldn't say there are colleagues that's about, but every night there'd be wine, like seven nights of the week, fifty two weeks of the year, and all their friends drank, and they drank, and when they'd have a barbie, I'm like, really, because to me, I used to just watch adults become fucking morons, right, they would just get dumber and dumber. And I would think to myself, even when I was ten, why why do they do this? Like do they not know one how stupid they look or how stupid they become. And I remember, probably like you very young, I went, I'm never doing that. That's not a thing I'm ever doing. I'm never going to drink booze. And then when I got a bit older and my mates started drinking, some of them quite quite a few didn't drink, you know, that'd have the odd but then a few mates that would drink a lot. I'm like, how's that going for you? So, I mean that'd be earning four hundred bucks a week and spending three hundred and seventy dollars a week on two nights in a night club or you know. I'm like, and they'd be shitfaced by eleven o'clock and falling down and getting thrown out and getting rejected by women left and right, and then spewing in the car park. I'm like, wow, I really feel like I'm missing out well the.
Speaker 3: Quality of conversation that comes with that too. I just used to drive me and say it. I'm like, mate, that's the third time you've told me you love me. I'm just like, tell me that when you're sober. Why do you need to be drunk to tell me that? And that was quite a young age, Like I started doing security when I was I think around sixteen, for you know, school parties and that sort of stuff, and just you're an idiot.
Speaker 1: Were you a big? Were you big? Because you're a big, solid unit? Now, how big were you when you were sixteen? Because sixteen's pretty young.
Speaker 2: I wasn't huge, and but I was handy, handy.
Speaker 1: So I've been training, You've been doing a lot of martial arts and boxing and shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just like with the you know, the wrist locks and being able to remove people and detain people and.
Speaker 2: That sort of stuff, I was quite good at. So it made my job a lot easier. And you know that.
Speaker 3: We used to get in We had the bikers that used to come in all the time. And I remember once one of the bikers did some inappropriate stuff to one of our waitresses.
Speaker 2: And I was first night on shift.
Speaker 3: I'd been overseas in Japan, sorry, in America to we're going over there to fight in a tournament that got canceled. And I just got back and this is my first big gig in you know, the proper nightlife type scenario.
Speaker 1: And how old were you?
Speaker 3: I just turned eighteen, and I was like, this guy's not staying. You've got to go. And my manager, I think his name was Gill at the time, he was about four foot two, and he was like, oh no, no, no, no, no, no no, And I'm like, I'm telling you now, this guy's out.
Speaker 2: And there was obviously the bikey you know.
Speaker 3: Mentality of there's more ways, more than one so that caused a lot of trouble for me, you know, outside of the nightclub scene as well, which was really interesting. So it ended up being quite a rough place on camera that so you.
Speaker 1: Put him out and were their consequences after that ongoing for anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was an interesting That was a really interesting thing.
Speaker 3: I can't remember the guy's name, but we're at we're at another bar called the Avenue, which was downstairs in the city, and this guy's run down and goes they're here, and I'm like, who's here? And he goes the bikers and I'm like, what do you mean? And they're driven up on the sidewalk. There was like six bikes and at this time it was my instructor and I the only you know, two people in there. And I went, oh, well, here we go. So I walked upstairs and approached him straight up, walked straight up to the head guy and I said, mate, you're in the role, what's the problem and talked our.
Speaker 2: Way out of it.
Speaker 3: Luckily, but after that there was full respect that we didn't back down from them, but it didn't turn into any brawls at that stage, which was look at you like a grown up trying to use my words.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well first night I did security, I got head butted and got my nose broken at the Matthew Flinders on Morigle Road. Wasn't their fault, Matthew Flinders, not your phone? Yeah, which was And a nightclub there which I think was called Armadaeus there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just sounds sounds hectic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was hectic. It was hectic. And then after that I proceeded to work there for it or there and other spots for another three years and it was like for me that that whole work and insecurity. I'm not saying I was a tough guy anyone. I wasn't, but yeah, it was just a different, like a different world from training and doing a bit of boxing and rolling around with people and grappling and wrestling and fucking around in the gym too, being like in the foyer of a nightclub and some head butts you ferociously and you're like, oh, like that really hurts, Like that hurts so much.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, And I was a big jet because I was big then I was bodybuilding and I was fucking huge. I'm like I was just like a big, friendly, fucking bear and I'm like, why would you. I didn't do anything that I was putting him out right because when fucking up, but like he deserved it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I wasn't in dragon him backwards by the hair or anything, right, Yeah, and yeah, there's just it is. I mean, I've never been to a nightclub ever in my life except to work. And my clubs are I don't know what they're like now, they're probably worse. But back in the back in the eighties and early nineties, it was hectic, like it was Mayhem. It was may it really was. I used to work at it. I won't say the name at the pub. And this is I've never said this on the show. I still work at a pub. Uh. And they had on oh do I say this?
Speaker 2: This is?
Speaker 1: This is I didn't create this. Remember it in the old days when they had wet T shirt competitions?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, now, looking back, I go, how on earth was that even a thing? And how did that happen? Anyway, So I worked at a pub. I did security where that happened. And you literally used to stand on the stage and push blokes, kick blokes, not push not kick push boks. I could push blokes back off the stage who were trying to get up on stage. I'm like, this is just so fucking Neanderthal on base, like this ship would never happen now look back, But at the time I remember it wasn't even like weird. It was just no, this is what happens in this pub on Fridays and Saturdays. And you go there and that's what you do, and piss blokes try to get up and you just pull them down or kick them down or push them down and they laugh and then they have another go. Mate. I can stay down there like ah, and you look and.
Speaker 2: Now you got like, oh my god, a funny story with that.
Speaker 3: And back to this biking troupe that kept continuing on for most of my time in camera. But we had this thing called the Summer Nats, which is where all the hot rod cars come and it's an amazing thing that camera puts on with it is wild.
Speaker 1: And there was this with burnouts and quarter miles and all of heaps of girls in not many clothes and cars and all.
Speaker 2: Of that thing.
Speaker 3: And there was a group of girls that would take most of their stuff off in a bus and it was driving around the summers, and I was doing security in that bus and it got to the point where.
Speaker 1: Hang on, hang on, hang on, stop stop, stop stop. I was doing security in that bus. You were doing security in a bus where girls were taking their kid off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hat hat, And I was young.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many blokes one of that gig back then?
Speaker 3: Well, this is where it got interesting. It got to the point where they were pulling them. They'd pulled the window off the back of the bus, you know, the emergency exit window.
Speaker 1: Who pulled it off?
Speaker 3: The bunch of the bikies that were giving me a hassle at the other club got involved in this as well, and it was quite funny. So when you talk about pushing them off and pushing them out and trying.
Speaker 2: To keep them out of the bus, and was what was.
Speaker 1: The Was this a sanctioned thing? Girls in a bus driving around? Was this part of the event?
Speaker 2: Yes? So going from location age location, can.
Speaker 1: I just tell you that three quarters of my audience are women, And I'm just sell you. I don't know if we're going very well right now.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the eighties.
Speaker 1: The eighties was crazy? Eighties The eighties wasn't crazy? Hey, So you ended up in Japan working at was it Movie World or Warner Bro?
Speaker 2: What was it Universal Studios? And what did you do there? I was the sheriff in a Wild West stunt show.
Speaker 1: You were, so, would you call yourself a stuntman or an actor or both?
Speaker 3: Or I would not call myself a stunt man, probably not even an actor. But I landed a gig that required me to do both, and that went from the modeling thing, which I wouldn't really even call myself a model, but I was lucky enough to score that gig in Japan, and it was a life changing experience for me, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: How long were you in Japan?
Speaker 2: So I did a total of six years?
Speaker 1: And what how did so when you go? I was what did you say, a sheriff in a show? A stage show?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How many people would watch that show on average?
Speaker 3: So we had a capacity of around two and a half thousand per show on a full day.
Speaker 1: And how many shows a day on the average?
Speaker 2: That vary depending on the season.
Speaker 3: So peak season we do four to seven shows a day per sheriff, per team, hang on four.
Speaker 1: To seven shows? How many How long is a show?
Speaker 2: Twenty five to twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Minutes I'm doing the maths. That's a lot of time on stage performing back to back to back to back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that'd be like a Golden Week, which is you know, one of the Japanese holidays that it's at capacity. You know, you're getting two and a half thousand people yelling and screaming and having a good old time, and it was up to me to entertain them, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: And were you either? Do I remember you telling me you were like the lead character in that show or one of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was.
Speaker 3: I was the lead male lead in that show. So it was myself in a Japanese counterpart that opened the show. I was meant to be the American over there, you know, trying to catch these baddies, show them how it's done, clean up the town.
Speaker 1: And where did you live? Like, what what do they have like special quarters for all you foreigners?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So we all we had a purpose built apartment block which was around ten minutes if you timed it right to work, so very close. One hundred and eighty of us living in this apartment block, all mostly good looking, fit, healthy.
Speaker 2: Performers.
Speaker 3: So it was kind of Uni style, you know, a lot of barbecues, a lot of parties, a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Wow, and I imagine no sex going on at all, would have just been all very but he's just friendship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot of holding hands, that's all I know. It was funny. A couple of the girls and I used to stand up on the tenth floor and it was a U shaped building that had open balconies and we would just watch people run from room to room, you know, just go oh my god, and you'd count up what floor, across what room and you're like, oh my god, she's with him and that. So it was quite an entertaining kind of place, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: What was the good and bad to come out of that? Like when you're doing six years in Japan and you're in a stage show, I assume you're making good dough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, money was good and he was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the bad the only nothing really bad. To be honest, it was six years, the best six years of my life to date. Good money, a lot of good people, and always something to do. So you know, this was before social media. We'd have a whiteboard down stairs outside the lift. You could ride on that whiteboard. Dinner tonight, garlic restaurant seven pm, and you could end up with thirty people going to dinner, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so very sociable. You know. Summer was great. We'd have a blackpool out the back.
Speaker 3: I'd clean that most mornings, fill it up, and then i'd go train, come back and there'd be people in it, and barbecue be dragged out, and people would hang around all day, come and go. Some would go off to work, some would go travel. You'd I'm going to a movie. You'd end up, you know, a few of you'd wander off, go to a movie, stuff like that. So it was just what you'd imagine life at university.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I obviously never went to university, but I'd imagine that social scene being pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And what about what about you? I don't know what doors you want to or don't want to open, But what about family? You said your dad left at three. I should know this, but Dad's not live now.
Speaker 3: Dad's around, actually is in Brisbane, I think from what I understand, but I haven't spoken to him for a very long time. Mother is in Naruma, New South Wales, South Coast, and my sister is in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: So are you close to any of them. Not so close, not as close as I would like to be.
Speaker 3: But that's circumstantial, right, So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And we're going to talk about crunk, which we'll explain what that is in a minute. But so there's been this consistent theme through your work life anyway, which is on and off from a lot of your adult life. You've been a trainer among other things. Like you work for me as a trainer for a while, and you've worked in different places and you're still doing that. You're fifty, right, Well you're still and you work in the fancist like literally the fancist Jim in Australia, what does that called that? Join again?
Speaker 3: Total Fusion Platinum And that's in Brisbane, Yeah, Brisbane Newstead in Brisbane, so that they call it the bubble, the new Stead Bubble.
Speaker 2: It's where all the cool kids hang out.
Speaker 1: How much does that joint cost a year to join?
Speaker 2: Give give or take minimum? Sixty?
Speaker 3: I think the highest you can pay us a lot so you can have sixty sixty dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Wow, So the rock bottom is three grand a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's the burger with the lot?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: What the burger with a lot is it's like it's up there. So that's medical conciers. So we've got doctors, we've got physios, we've got the whole boot kerboodle.
Speaker 1: Is it big?
Speaker 3: Yes, huge, over four stories. I think it's the biggest gym in the Southern hemisphere.
Speaker 1: And is there more of them or is it a one off?
Speaker 3: There's more there's This is the only platinum, but the other gyms are really nice as well, so they've done a very good job.
Speaker 1: And how do you feel about pteing these days? What have you noticed about I don't know, the industry Like you were in at the ground floor with me. You were back in the days when every sect, probably I was going to say every second person it was more like nine out of ten people would say, what's a personal trainer? What's personal training? You were a trainer back in those days. Has it evolved for better or worse or a bit of both?
Speaker 3: I think as far as I think PT is interesting now, like people they kind of bag it a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, I can do it.
Speaker 3: They've all got the apps and stuff, But you know, the people I'm training some fascinating people at the moment, which I really enjoy, but the offering is a lot different to what it was back then as well, Like you know, what we bring to the tables a lot, you know, the nutrition side, we're going down the wellness, life and longevity type path where you know, it was a thing back in the day, but it wasn't a thingingevity wasn't really a thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We've got cold plunges, we've got infred saunas, we've got all of that, you know, and we look at recovery more than you probably would have back in the day as being a lot more important, you know.
Speaker 2: And then the mental health side of things.
Speaker 3: I thinks a lot you know, talked about a lot more now, which is great too.
Speaker 1: I think, what about the trainers on the floor, do you think that I'm I'm not like, I still think they're like even when I was in my bloody heyday, they were good trainers and bad trainers. I think it's the same now, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have krema the crop kind of in our gym. Like they're very you know, exercise scientists. They've studied a lot, they know a lot that you know, that sort of stuff. But I think PT in general isn't as good like that it's a lot more online, less, less face to face and I think there's one of the most important things I believe in PT is the face to face communication and connection, right, and when you know you're missing that in class, Like I remember back in the day when you were taking classes and.
Speaker 2: Stuff and teaching teaching us.
Speaker 3: I did my Diploma of Fitness, which was I think a six month course back in the day, and now like I would have learned more, you know, being the face to face with you than I did that. And now it's even worse with less face to face stuff, not as much hands on, so you and you're losing that connection, right, which I think is probably eighty percent of personal training is that connection piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's it's a really interesting development in education across the board. One of my friends is doing a master's degree in nutrition and doing it entirely online. A master's degree, that's one under a PhD, right, that's one. Yeah, and in the you know, they already have an undergrad. You need an undergrad a bachelor of something to do your postgrad, which is honors or you know, masters or PhD. But and it's so it's two years full time and they have to in two years, they have to spend four weeks at UNI out like and then you know, and that's under sufferance. But and I'm not saying that they're not learning, but I'm with you. I think, you know, I think definitely online learning has a place, but being in a being an a lecture theater or a classroom with somebody who knows what they're teaching and talking about somebody who's got hands on in real world experience, somebody who's you know, like in the example of a personal trainer. Like when you guys, when I was teaching you, you were literally being taught by the guy with the most experienced in Australia in personal training, in real time, face to face, you know. And it's so that's not and of course you know, I mean that's sound arrogant, but that's not a bad model where but there are so many people now teaching in various courses that don't actually even do the thing. It is that they're teaching, like people in personal training courses who've never been personal trainers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's definitely something in that, like we're losing more and more of that face to face connection, which I'm sure we'll talk about in a little bit, But as far as PT goes, you want to see people move, right, Like, that's what you're doing. And you look at exercise science and fears and you're watching people move.
Speaker 2: That's what your job is. And if you're doing that.
Speaker 3: Online, very hard to kind of see, you know, the grimace in the face if they're trying to get out of a deep squad or you know whatever that is that you can go, Okay, there's a weakness there, there's you know, And I think that's super important when you are a personal trainer.
Speaker 2: Too and have that connection with someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Like I know, it's not a great model, and being fifty a personal trainer is probably not where I wanted to be in life.
Speaker 2: But the face to face stuff is what it gets me excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, But I also think, like I still train a few people in the gym, friends, a few projects. I mean that lovingly. I'm sixty one. I love training them. I love it. Like for me, it's like I don't want to do fifty hours of it, but to train a few friends and a few people who've got physical challenges and handicaps and people who genuinely need what it is that I can give. I think it's great, you know, So I think that it's funny how you like growing up, you think or you have an idea of where you're going to be at a certain time. You know, when I'm forty, I'm going to be doing this or doing that, or when I'm fifty, are going to be here or there, and when I'm sick, you know. And it's like, rarely do people actually end up in the space they thought they would be the way they thought they would land there. You know, yeah, yes, but you've been working on something else. So you've been developing a thing for a few years, and I've been watching, I've been watching from behind the curtain, and it's starting to get some momentum. So tell us about Crunk.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Crunk is a social network to get people off social networks and connecting in real life, all based around activities and interest, but big picture, to help fight loneliness through human connection. And we are we're starting to get some momentum.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I think we're a little bit before our time, especially when you look at what's happening in the social media space. Yeah, you know, the validation, the likes and comments, I've got so many friends, but are they really your friend?
Speaker 2: And I just love I love.
Speaker 3: This concept of getting people off off their screens and off swiping and off the validation and actually getting out and connecting and doing something they enjoy doing that they might have thought that they could do or they were interested in doing and kind of went, well, I don't know how to go about it. So we've created a platform that you can use our filters to find people, relocate people that share.
Speaker 2: A similar same interest as you.
Speaker 1: For example. So give me a practical example. All right, I'm doing a gig in Sydney. I'm there for two days, and how would I how might I use it?
Speaker 3: So you could get on crunk filter out where you're going in Sydney. Then that will show people in that area or gyms or activities that are happening in that area, and you can join, participate or connect with people to do said activity. So you wanted to go for a run because I know you love running such a runner, you'd be able to find other runners or run clubs around you that are providing that service. Find a gym around the corner from the hotel you're at.
Speaker 2: That sort of.
Speaker 1: Could I say Hey, I'm in Sydney and it's leg day. I want someone to train with me because I need a spotter. Anyone could you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how do how do you make money from that?
Speaker 3: So we've got a few ways, but it will be the big one is going to be specific advertising to people's needs. So what most other platforms do is they spray and hope they get what they're looking for. So, for instance, you like Jim, I'm friends with you. They think that I like Jim, so they'll promote to me. And we have specific people join. They tell us what they're into, they have the location, we know how often they're you know, out and about, so we can say, okay, here's your perfect person to market to what you know, whether that's a yoga person.
Speaker 2: Or a runner or a hiker or whatever that looks like.
Speaker 1: And what about what about people learning how to like? What's the best way for me to get my head around it is to jump on the website and fuck around with it. I haven't even looked at it. I know it's I know that's bad.
Speaker 2: So it is crunk dot Com. Our sloganies meet you people, do fun shit.
Speaker 3: Download the app, and jump on and start to play around with it, same as you would with any other social platform.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't it doesn't cost anything.
Speaker 2: Right, not free to use.
Speaker 3: Yeah awesome, and hopefully we can replace the big dogs and become the new platform that connects active, like minded people.
Speaker 1: And am I allowed to say we can take this bit out if you want me to take it out, but didn't didn't A reasonably big organization. By that, I mean a really big organization have a look at it, went, that's great, we want to partner with you or buy you out and turn it into a dating app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we were we There was a company called and I think I could say this company without any hesitation. It's over arching company was called Magic Labs, and I don't think they're around anymore, so that's why I think I can say it. They had one hundred million dollars to invest in startups that connect people. So being the tenacious, you know, entrepreneur founder of this cool idea, I'm like, I'm going to reach out to them, and I ended up having three hour long conversations with them, which were very interesting. They loved the concept, loved the idea, give us a business plan, did that, what's your marketing plan and how much is it going to cost to get to a million users? So we did that, and then they offered a ridiculous sum to.
Speaker 2: Partner with us.
Speaker 3: And then the last five minutes of the conversation they said, all right, we're going to turn it into a dating app.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, so the number. I don't want the number, but it was it in the millions, lots of millions. Yet they offered you lots of millions, Toby, Yeah, Toby, they offered you lots of millions. Yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: And if I probably turn it into a dating app, I'd be doing all right now. But I think.
Speaker 3: That that is not the purpose behind what we're doing. I want, you know, Craig Harper to be on there and it not be a problem. I want, you know, the wife, the husband can use it for, you know, to connect with people, to go play tennis, go for a height, go for a run. I wanted to remove the awkwardness of a guy messaging a guy and saying, hey mate, do you want to go for a run? You want to go for a ride? I see you into fishing. I'm in town.
Speaker 2: Do you mind if you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: And when they message him, it actually is a run they want to go for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not Hey, hi, no stop it, stop it.
Speaker 1: You're going to get both of us central. Well, mate, good on you for having that internal sat nab and for paying attention and for you know, being authentic and being true to your values, because I think I'm pretty value driven, but I don't know to solid it when let's make a dating app. Yeah, I think you're a better human than me.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people would think I'm an absolute idiot for choosing the ladder, but I believe in the purpose enough for that not to you know, even be a thought.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like I've always felt and less these days but it's still there, you know, like an impostor or a fraud. Like do you ever go, I'm not a fucking business man. What am I doing? I'm going to go work on the door at the fucking you know, at some pobor I'm just going to go punch bugs in the face, That's my natural Habitat what am I doing over here?
Speaker 2: Every day? Actually every day across them?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What am I doing?
Speaker 3: And the thing that gets me out of that? And I say this to myself every day as well, and I write this down in my journal and.
Speaker 2: I do that stuff. But I'm exactly where I meant to be all of the time.
Speaker 3: You know, the path of the journey that we're on as there's a reason for it. You know, the reason we knock them back was because that's not where we want to be. You don't want to be that, right? So am I a businessman? No? But I have a passion and a drive for this thing to be something more than me. And we just build the team around that. And you know, we're pretty set on our vision, our mission, and.
Speaker 2: I'll stay true to that till the day I die.
Speaker 1: So, and so how do you measure like would success be measured in the context of krunk? Would success be measured? I guess there'd be a few things. Would the overarching one be just users? Like how many people are using it? Would that be the major KPI?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then obviously we need to turn into a business. Yeah, but users is definitely.
Speaker 2: A big one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So do you start off by going, let well, in a way, let's not worry about the money. I mean, you've got to worry about the money, but let's get people using it. Like, once you get enough people on board, you know, it's like, this sounds silly, but I guess even with like, I definitely didn't start the U Project to make money because I'd be the world's worst business man, because it's fucking Having a podcast is like punching yourself in the face if you want to make lots of dough, right. But you know, I think, like I'm able to do a few things in that I can do good. I can share good information and education with people. I can talk to cool people. I can help people that want to listen without charging them anything or without Plus I can build If the platform builds to the point where we have you know, more than Mum and Dad and Nannie Marge listening, you know we've got a few listeners, we can get some sponsors and you know, So for me, I definitely didn't start it because I thought I'm going to get rich doing this. So I just thought, this is a way to connect with lots of people. And I'd kind of stepped away from radio and I went, I think that podcasts are not forever. But when I started, like I started my first one that didn't work about eight or nine years ago, and then another one, then another one, then about six or seven years ago this one. But yeah, it's like about just building something and then if you do it well enough and you're connecting with enough enough people, it's probably going to end up paying a few bills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the same for us.
Speaker 3: I believe there's a big business model to be made out of what we're doing. Definitely, but you know, I could have been a sellout with the offer that we had before and taking the money and run. So it's not about the money for me. It's definitely I want it to be a lifestyle thing. But I believe the world that we're in now, the lack of connection that we're having and the validation through likes and comments, the times kind of come where people don't you know that they getting tired of that. They're realizing that real connection is a thing, and we need that more than ever. In community based stuff, you know, like we could have We're similar to Instagram in the sense that we could have any business on crunk, any community on crunk, and people join that community.
Speaker 2: But the powerful part is filtering.
Speaker 3: And being able to find people within that community to go and do something different than that community, you know, and connect.
Speaker 2: Outside of that. And as far as the business model goes, no doubt. We'll get sponsors for events.
Speaker 3: And you know, we're doing a Run the World Challenge that kicks off in April, which is for anyone. You know, you get a team of six, you try and run as many climbers as you can, get more points if you do runs together. So you know, trying to get people off social media and out and active is our whole key tell.
Speaker 1: So that starts in April. It's Run the World Challenge, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Powered by Crunk.
Speaker 1: Get involved.
Speaker 3: That's again, join the join the app, and we'll promote it when when we're ready to start pushing that and get people involved in that.
Speaker 1: Do you You and I are a bit similar in that you've never been married. And that was that a conscious I know we're taking a left turn here. Was that a planned and tension? Was that a conscious path or did it just work out like that?
Speaker 3: It's just worked out like that for me, Like I I'm not anti marriage.
Speaker 2: I think that's where we differ a little bit.
Speaker 1: I love marriage. I could watch it all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it for me?
Speaker 3: I'd love to find my person definitely, or you know, someone that I really connect with, but doing you know, doing what I'm doing now.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of ours, a lot of time.
Speaker 3: That sort of stuff, And that's probably not so much an excuse, but I've just never really found someone that I'd want to settle down with for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: But where do people send their applications?
Speaker 2: That would be ww.
Speaker 1: Toby needs a Wife's funny? Yeah, so and so if people are in Brisbee Brizzy, can they come and see you and do a workout with you? I mean fully paid of course, have you got a spot?
Speaker 3: There's a few, not a huge amount, so it definitely need to be negotiable, but yeah, happy to happy to get people in and give them a workout.
Speaker 1: And if people want to connect with you, find you, follow you social media or email or whatever. Don't give out anything to private. But how can people connect with you if they.
Speaker 3: Want to Instagram Tobias Quinn, crunk app or crunk dot com if you wanted to get on the app, I think we're crunk connecting the app store, but Tom's queen or yeah, crunk app on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Well for a podcast, Deputy Hunt Slash virgin. You did very well.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, appreciate that. Good hosting. Yeah, oh you know you've done a few. Yeah, I've done it.
Speaker 1: I actually don't rate myself, but someone who's done as much as I have, I should be fucking better. But anyway, okay, practicing times and we'll see how we go. And I'm up to Queensland soon. So am I allowed to do a casual at that fancy fucking gym you workout? Or am I too much of a bogan? Am I twenty years too old?
Speaker 3: You may not be able to wear camo shorts in the gym, but other than that, I think.
Speaker 2: You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I've got some spandex bring that out.
Speaker 2: So and leg warmers. Very good topic up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and some rebox. Remember Reeboks made only the pumps. They were hot from me with a shit forty fifty and sixty year old ladies are like, yeah fuck yeah they were.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, the white rebox remember those, the ladies wearing those in the gym, and before.
Speaker 1: Those for the Bogans, the Bogans from La tro Valley added as rome blue stripes. Fuck yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: They were. So this is how bad it is for me. PT twenty six ers.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that, oh, Katie, Yeah, yeah, that Dunlops. Yeah, and they had almost like tire tread, big black, chunky. They were like the original KT. Twenty six's were almost like the original running shoe that wasn't but they were shaped like they were different. They were revolutionary because everything back in the day just had almost like a round toe like the bloody Dunlop volley or added as rome or and then they came out with these things that looked like a fucking high performance motorbike almost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they had the tread. I remember a funny story. I got my first pair brand new when I was a young lad and I used to sleep with them in my bed because I was so obsessed with these shoes.
Speaker 2: And they got wet once.
Speaker 3: We had an open fire growing up, and I had them by the open fire because I was drenched.
Speaker 2: And in the morning I'm like, Mom, Mom, I do believe in God, and she's like.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that's a bit weird whine, and I said, I prayed for my shoes to be dry and they are.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, you didn't have high expectations of God.
Speaker 2: Sixers, mate, You look after you.
Speaker 1: We'll talk again.
Speaker 2: Thank you, take care,