Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: General, Welcome to the Late Debate. Thanks for joining us on the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Fraileitch and Caleb bond Well. People have been calling for de escalation in the Middle East, and that ceasefire announced by Donald Trump earlier today certainly seems to have de escalated. Iran were accused of breaking the ceasefire just hours after it was announced. Israel promised a rapid retaliation, and the US President was not shy in expressing his frustration just moments ago.
Speaker 4: We basically have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they don't know what the they're doing.
Speaker 1: You understand that.
Speaker 3: You heard there Trump expressing his frustration with both sides in extended comments to reporters. He expressed it throughout the day he'd been annoyed not only with Ron but with Israel. And that's significant because up until this point, the US leader has bet Israel to the hilt.
Speaker 2: He's more of what he had to say.
Speaker 5: Rocket that I guess was fired overboard, it was after the time limit and admits it's target, and now Israel's going out.
Speaker 1: These guys got to calm down. Ridiculously. I didn't like plenty of things I saw yesterday. I didn't like the fact that Isua unloaded.
Speaker 5: Right after we made the deal. They didn't have to unload. And I didn't like the fact that.
Speaker 4: The retaliation was very strong. But in all fairness, is you unloaded a lot. And now I hear Isuel just went out because they felt it was violated by one.
Speaker 1: Rocket that didn't land anywhere.
Speaker 5: That's not what we want, I'll tell you, and I'm telling you I'm not happy about that Israel either.
Speaker 1: All I do is played both sides.
Speaker 5: I'm going now, as you know, Tonado, some of you are going with.
Speaker 4: Me, and I think it's going to be uh successful.
Speaker 1: We'll see, I'll let you know.
Speaker 3: So you heard there Trump saying he was on his way to NATO that's in the Hague. Right after that brief press conference, he got onto Air Force one. He's in the air right now. But just before he got on the plane, he told reporters that once on board, he would immediately be dealing with the fact that Israel were on the verge of retaliating for what they believed was a breach of the ceasefire by Iran.
Speaker 2: His Trump again.
Speaker 4: Besides that, qus each other for a violighting I think violated it.
Speaker 1: I don't think that. I'm not sure they did it intentionally. They couldn't rain people back.
Speaker 4: I don't like the fact that Israel went out this morning at all, and I'm going.
Speaker 1: To see if I can stop it.
Speaker 4: So as soon as I get away from you, I'm going to see if I can stop it. I think it's been completely demolished. I think the reason we're here is because those pilots.
Speaker 1: There's be too violent, said an unbelievable job. And you know, the fake news like CNN in.
Speaker 4: Particular, they're trying to you know, they're trying to say, well, I agree that it was destroyed, but maybe not that destroyed.
Speaker 1: You know what they're doing.
Speaker 4: They're really hurting great pilots that put their lives in the line. CNN has scum, and so is MSDNC. They're all and frankly the networks aren't much better. It's all fake news. But they should not have done that. By those pilots hit their targets.
Speaker 5: Those targets were obliterated.
Speaker 4: And the pilots should be given credit. Then not after the pilots are after me. They want to try and to meet it super Approbrale. I mean, Iran will never rebuild it from there, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: That place is under rock. That place is demolished. The BAT two pilots did their job.
Speaker 4: They did it better than anybody could even imagine. They hit late in the evening, it was dark with no moon, and they hit that target with every one of those things, and that place is gone. But when I see CNN all night long, they're trying to say, well, maybe it wasn't really as demolished.
Speaker 1: As we thought.
Speaker 4: There was demolished, and you take a look at the pinpricks and you see that place is gone. And I will say, I think CNN or to apologize for the pilots of the V two's, I think that MSD and c or to apologize. I think these guys, really, these networks are these cable networks.
Speaker 1: Are real losers. You really are. You're realizing.
Speaker 4: You're gutless losers. I say that the CNN because I watch it. I have no choice. I gotta watch that garbage. It's all garbage, it's all fakeds. But I think CNN is a gutless group of people and the people that run it. Nobody even knows there's been sold so many times. But the people that run it or to be ashamed MSD and C again named Brian Roberts. He heads it. He's a disgrace. He's a weak, pathetic disgrace.
Speaker 2: You have to love Trump.
Speaker 3: The Middle East is on fire, but he's still got time to go hard after see and MSNBC he got onto Air Force one and had not long been in the air before he tweeted this. Now we're not sure, as you would have heard Paul Murray say, whether this is because he's had a conversation with Benjaminette and Yahoo, or if this is just Donald Trump supposing what is about to happen. But he tweeted, Israel is not going to attack Iran. All planes will turn around and head home while doing a friendly plane wave to Iran. Nobody will be hurt. The ceasefire is in effect. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, Freyer and Caleb, A lot has transpired even in the last hour.
Speaker 2: What do you make of it all?
Speaker 6: Well, well, the reports now from the Times of Israel that in the last half hour Trump and Nittanya who have spoken, and that they came to an agreement that Israel could essentially carry out what you might call a symbolic attack on Iran. And the reports also of other times of Israel that they have hit a small target near Tehran with the will of Donald Trump, it would seem it's also a report coming out of public broadcasters in Israel that when Trump put that post up on truth Social that he already knew that they were going to attack when he said that Israel will not attack Iran. So it would seem that even in the dying moments of this, Trump was still trying to bay any means necessary persuade Israel not to attack. And I suppose you can understand why, because in Trump's mind, he is trying to achieve this cease fire to make sure that there is not the forever war that he promised people that he would not get involved in. The efforts that Trump has made in the last few days have not been to inflame any kind of war in the Middle East, to create or in the Middle East. It's been quite the opposite, really, I mean his I know a lot of people were critical of the fact that he took too long to do this. Of course, there are other people in the Magamus movement who said he shouldn't be getting involved at all. But I think Trump made a very methodical and thought out decision here to strike when he did, because he thought this is an action by attacking their nuclear bases in Iran that will prevent further war in the Middle East and of course prevent a potential attack on the United States in the future. And so what he is trying to protect here is that he acknowledges, of course, as we saw in those grabs there, that Iran has broken the ceasefire in some means, though it didn't cause any loss of life. The two missiles were intercepted over northern Israel, and so his point was you shouldn't have a response from Israel that he's out of kilter with that. So it would seem we've come to a point where he said, look, if you have a symbolic retaliation, it's tit for tat. You're in the same boat. Now, let's get on with this ceasefire. That would seem to me to be the best possible result, so long as both sides, and particularly Iran, now that they have been hit again, keeps up their end of the bargain.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's interesting for Trump, but he's in this position where he's got obviously the neo cons within the administration saying do it bomb Iran, and then he's got more of the isolation as types like Tucker Carlson, who apparently has now called Trump and apologized, according to Trump for saying that he was instigating World War III, which obviously has not happened. And I think with this, the precision execution of these strikes on the nuclear plants and then the ceasefire, he's managed to walk this fine balance of eliminating Iran's nuclear capacity while also not alienating other Arab states, in fact bringing.
Speaker 8: Them closer to the West. And it's all been very successful.
Speaker 7: I would say though, that it was actually Israel that started this operation. It was Israel that took out the air defense systems. This operation was only possible because Israel helped topple the Assad regime and they eliminated Hasbilla, which created the air pathway through to Iran. So all of this is years and twenty years of intelligence from Israel and years of hand to hand boots on the ground combat. So I do see what Trump is doing. It's smart of Israel to listen to America because they rely on them for a lot of funding and defense and diplomatic support. But at the same time, Israel will act in their own self interest. If they still think there's a threat from Iran, they started the process of eliminating that threat, and they will finish it on their own terms.
Speaker 3: We heard Donald Trump say just a moment ago that Israel needs to calm down, And for all intents and purposes, it seems like Israel have achieved their goals in the twelve days that this conflict has been running. They have eliminated Around's nuclear threat, they've eliminated Around's ballistic missiles, They've killed a large number of military chiefs, they've killed a large number of nuclear scientists, and they've made a big statement to other adversaries in the Middle East, don't mess with us. We will deal with you, and deal strongly. So at some point this tit for tat, and I kind of understand Trump's frustration. At some point someone has to say stop, that's enough, and he's calling, obviously on Israel to be the bigger person here. I suppose it seems it was a round who broke the ceasefire, Trump says, all right, you don't have to go again, because then this will never end. We've achieved what we sit out to do. Let's stop. So Israel would have achieved their mission. For the Iya Tollers, though, for them to have a cease fire, I guess they don't have much choice because to keep going they're going to be destroyed. But it's a difficult one for the Iya Tollers, who have sworn to the elimination of Israel. They can't be seen to be weak to Israel. In fact, when the ceasefire was announced, the Iranian leadership announced to their people that they had imposed a ceasefire on Israel, which is a bit of a joke. The question is will those two sides trick to their positions Israel in a stronger one and how long can that hold well?
Speaker 6: I mean, the reality as we know is that the only person who can be the bigger person in this situation is Israel. I mean, Iran has nothing to gain in being the bigger person. They have a lot more to lose in being the bigger person. The reason they've agreed to the cease fire is to some degree a level of self preservation, and Trump is appealing to both sides. As he said earlier, I'm playing both sides here. He is quite open about that because his objective is to achieve it as close to piece as you can get in the Middle East. I mean, you know, I think the idea of peace in the Middle East is basically impossible, but he's trying to get as close to it as he can. So Iran has, to the eye, toll of the regime has to let this ceasefire happen if they have any chance of surviving. I mean, the reality is still very much that there could be an uprising in Iran and that the regime is toppled. But as I was saying last night, of course you weren't here but for your benefit, because I know you were out having dinner instead of watching the late debate. And I don't blame you for doing so, by the way, James, But as I said last night, the only means by which you could achieve a toppling of the regime that would be of any use to anyone is if the people themselves rise up. You can't end up in a situation where you essentially topple the regime by for instance, Israel or the United States going in and assassinating the Ayatola and then hoping everything works out from there, because we've seen what happens when you do things like that, you create vacuums and people fill them. You cannot topple the regime by that measure. The only way to do it is to counterproductively to some degree, allow the regime to continue long enough that people in Iran could rise up themselves, and having this cease fire at least gives the year to allow that to happen.
Speaker 3: I was curious with Trump really getting stuck in the sea and then for questioning whether or not the US pilots have been able to destroy Iran's nuclear stockpile. JD Events spoke earlier today saying that their uranium was buried after those bunker busting bombs had been dropped.
Speaker 2: But there are reports that prior.
Speaker 3: To the American attack there were dozens of trucks outside that main nuclear installation, and the suggestion being perhaps they moved their uranium stockpiles prior to the US attack, and if they did, are those stockpiles hidden in Iran? Were they transferred to one of their allied countries? Or perhaps were they even moved around the world to create dirty bombs. Those reports are in the media in the last couple of hours. Trump is absolutely strident, we did what we said we would do. Their nuclear capacity is destroyed, but it would make sense if there is a military capability retained, nuclear capability retained, that the I tollers would agree to a cease fire and it might take them years, but rebuild.
Speaker 2: And we do know they think long term.
Speaker 8: They do think long term.
Speaker 7: And also we have to remember that Russia has said they will help Iran rebuild their nuclear program. North Korea has said essentially the same thing. There are plenty of powers within that axis of evil that would be more than willing to offer expertise. I think there were around two hundred Russian nuclear scientists working on the Iranian nuclear program, and so there is a lot of intelligence sharing, there's a lot of expertise sharing. And so don't think that just because these nuclear plants have been.
Speaker 8: Obliterated that the threat is over. This is the problem.
Speaker 7: As long as you have a regime there that is totally committed to the annihilation of Israel and the West, even at the expense of their own people. You won't have peace. It will just lead to this simmering. And that's kind of what's happening with HESBLA to the north of Israel in Lebanon. Obviously, they've been very successful at taking out the direct threat posed by HESBLA, but they're still conduct seeing strikes on a rather frequent basis against key leaders, key infrastructure because the radicalism continues to simmer away. Long term, all this does is just push back the timeline for another war, another confrontation. Unless there is a true denouncement of radical Islam in the Middle East, there will never be sustainable peace or.
Speaker 2: Of extreme Islam with an intention to what Israel from them. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, if that's not done by the people of Iran, by what means do you think that can be done without causing a white skull war.
Speaker 7: The problem is the people of Iran, from the polling I've seen, do not support the regime. But the IRGC is so powerful still that anybody who speaks out is brutally, brutally repressed. Even Iranian dissidents in Australia are scared to speak out against the regime. Some of them have talked about having attempts made on their life in places like the US.
Speaker 8: Attempts at kidnappings.
Speaker 7: These are the sleeper cells that run has around the world, and so yes, of course the goal would always be for the Iranian people to rise up, but how realistic is that when you're living in an authoritarian regime that will disappear you and your family from the face of the earth. That's why the only path to piece is I think when you've got your knee on someone's neck.
Speaker 8: You keep it there.
Speaker 7: They are so close to seeing the entire regime collapse. If I were Israel, I'd be frustrated that the US stepped in now, like, let them finish the job. This is the first and probably the best opportunity they've had in almost fifty years to actually rid the Middle East of this toxic regime.
Speaker 8: Don't stop now.
Speaker 2: Well, the question is how far do you go?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Remove the nuclear threat?
Speaker 3: If they remove the Islamic leadership, then who rises up next the shark?
Speaker 8: Bring him back. He's ready to come back.
Speaker 3: Can be responsible for that, and it doesn't want to be responsible collected to not do that, I know.
Speaker 6: But that's the thing. You would hope it would all go well, but what if it doesn't. Go well, I mean that's that.
Speaker 8: That is the problem of work and what it is at the moment.
Speaker 2: We can always go work.
Speaker 3: Look at Afghanistan, mark is proof it can always go worse.
Speaker 6: Yes, every every time the United States has intervened in the Middle East, it has become immeasurably worse. So so on what basis do we hope that if we were intervened in a way to say, okay, we're just going to wipe out the regime, that it doesn't lead to the rise of something worse.
Speaker 3: So the rule in the Middle East is you can always replace a bad guy with the worst guy.
Speaker 6: That's you can, or you can even go in get rid of the bad guy, and then walk out and let the bad guy come back. In Afghanistan, I mean there is there is not if you could point to something to say, Okay, we've done it before, we've got a model to follow along, but we don't have the model. It's it's never worked, and I think that's the problem. I understand the desire and the need to some degree to get rid of the regime in Iran, but no one has ever been able to do it before. So I don't know how you think you can do it again.
Speaker 7: Because I would say Iran is a different circumstance where they do have unlike some of those other countries where there has been absolutely zero history of democratic rule, zero history of respect for human rights of Western valleys Iran, they are not Arabs. They are Persians with their own unique history and language and culture going back to biblical times. Think of Cyrus the Great who let the Jews go back to Israel, and so you can draw on that, and it's actually about restoring Persian nationhood and ripping off the shackles of Islamic colonization, which is what this is.
Speaker 3: And I think everyone would be thrilled with that and cheering for the Persian people.
Speaker 2: If they can.
Speaker 8: If they can do it, come on dive to do so.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, as we said, is on his way to the Hague for a NATO meeting. Anthony ALBERNIZI was meant to be at that meeting.
Speaker 2: The will certainly talk.
Speaker 3: He would be, as he's been chasing a chance to sit down with Donald Trump, but of course now.
Speaker 2: Albanzi will not be joining that meeting.
Speaker 3: He spoke to Kieran Gilbert on Sky News earlier today about how it was pointless him traveling to NATO.
Speaker 9: Should you have gone to NATO wants to meet with the Indo Pacific allies.
Speaker 10: They're not there, Kieren, the President of Correa is not there. The Prime Minister of Japan is not there. In terms of the IP four, three of the four leaders aren't there. That was a part of the decision making process that we made.
Speaker 2: NATO is about NATO.
Speaker 3: NATO is about NATO, and yet Anthiy Albanesi has attended NATO meetings before. Trump evidently wanted to meet with the leaders of Australia, Japan, South Korea and New Zealand. Most of those leaders aren't going, but Anti Albanese.
Speaker 2: Surely Freyer should still go.
Speaker 3: He's got meetings booked with Ju Jingping, which we'll talk about later. The Australian is reporting on that in tomorrow's papers. Anthony Albanize should absolutely be at the Hague. You know where he is tonight though I believe he's celebrating a fiftieth anniversary for SBS tonight highly important.
Speaker 2: What is important? When do you think he ought to be?
Speaker 3: There's Anthony Albanzi earlier this evening, Happy birthday to SBS. Well, that's wonderful, But wouldn't his time be better on THATAF plane on his way.
Speaker 2: To the Hague.
Speaker 8: It totally would be.
Speaker 7: But I actually don't blame him for not going to NATO. In fact, I don't think he would get much out of much good out of Trump, because at NATO all the countries are going to be slammed for and with the US trying to convince them to increase their defense spending to five percent of GDP, kirs Starma has come out and committed the UK to that target as well. Meanwhile, here in Australia under Labor we haven't even hit two percent. We're getting to two four by twenty thirty three to twenty thirty four. If alban Easy did go to NATO, he would stand out like a sore thumb as the one country there that is not taking anything the US says, anything the Western world says about defense.
Speaker 8: Seriously, the only option.
Speaker 7: For him is to grow a parables and get to the White House. But he's not going to do that because he's utterly terrified of Trump and so he just won't do it. So I don't blame him for not going to NATO, because he would look like a complete idiot. But the only solution now is to go to the White House, which he also won't do. So really, this is just typical Albanezi and so embarrassing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think he has to go to NATO. I mean it is the Northern Atlantic Treaty organization of which we are not a member, so there is no need for us to go.
Speaker 2: I Definity Prime Minister will be there and has been previous.
Speaker 6: We are, but we had this, We had this discussion last year when the Niputy Prime Minister went and I said exactly the same thing. I was quite happy for the Deputy Prime Minister to go.
Speaker 2: But this is NATO.
Speaker 3: This is about the fact that anthy Abenez he has zero relationship with Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: If he authority that he builds one.
Speaker 6: But if he went to NATO for the express purpose of seeing Donald Trump, you'd be sitting here saying, oh, well, you know, he's got to go over there just to sort of hope that he can get a little five minutes with Donald Trump. So hey can't win on that regard.
Speaker 3: Well, no, he can't win him. He spent so long neglecting any relationship. I know Donald Trump. But now he's chasing him around the world, or at least he should be. And yes, we'd mock him for chasing Trump around the world because it would never have gotten to that point. I totally agree easy that you have to chase Trump and you should be chasing Trump.
Speaker 6: Well, I no, I don't know that we need to chase him to NATO. I mean we should be chasing him into the White House.
Speaker 2: That's that's NATO. So go to NATO.
Speaker 6: Everybody was in the White House for the last four months anyway. My point is we don't have to go to NATO, and the discussions that will be happening at NATO will be of little consequence to Australia because we're not going to be party to them anyway. And Anthony Avenezy doesn't give a toss what they say at NATO, which will be as Frean mentioned before, the fact that they're all going to commit to five percent of GDP by the next decade being spent on defense. I mean, you know, to two point four percent if we get to it. And you can see down on the bottom of your screen there as Zelenski is addressing the Hague right now. But you know, if we get to two point four percent, that's nothing. I mean we could get to three and a half percent, which would take us to ninety seven billion dollars, which is another forty billion. Then we're spending now, and you know they'd say, oh, well, where we're going to get that money from? I mean, forty billion dollars is what we spend every year on aboriginal affairs. And where's that money go? So you could find the money if you wanted to. But I think the point is he doesn't have to go to NATO, and he shouldn't have to go to NATO to meet Donald Trump. He should be having a meeting with Donald Trump anyway. I don't care about the NATO bit. Just meet with Trump. How hard is it to do? And the other problem, of course, is that if he has that meeting on the backdrop of NATO with all the talk of defense spending, he would look like a fool. So why would you put yourself in that position?
Speaker 3: Well, he's going to look like a fool of Richard Miles, get's a meeting with Donald Trump and elbows back here. Celebrating the fiftieth birthday of SBS. Albani's was also asked about why it took him twenty four hours to make any comment at all about America's attack on Iram.
Speaker 2: Here's his response to that charge.
Speaker 10: There are some in the media who have a criticism of anything that the Labor government does. What my government does is act in an orderly, coherent way, and we were very clear for some period of time that Iran could not be allowed to have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 3: Did you notice when Anthony Albaneze said what my government does as we act in in a coherent, orderly way. He actually got a bit of a smirk when he said it, because he knows saying it does not make it true. And then he goes on to say, we've always said that Iran must not have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: But it's all very well to say that.
Speaker 3: What you've got to then go on and say, is therefore we support Israel doing whatever it takes to make sure they don't. And this is interesting how he now claims to support US action to rid Iran of uranium. But the US simply did what Israel were not supported in doing.
Speaker 2: It was the same thing.
Speaker 3: If America do it, begrudging support, but if Israel are trying to do it, well, Diplomacy de escalation and dialogue is the only language the Albanezy government know.
Speaker 7: If Israel or the US had actually followed the advice of Penny Wong and Anthony Albanezi, Iran would still have nuclear weapons. They are so, so, so stupid, and this is my skepticism of the ceasefire as well.
Speaker 8: When has Iran ever honored one of these international agreements? They don't.
Speaker 7: That's typically how authoritarian regimes work. They sign on the dotted line and then do whatever they want. So what does diplomacy, dialogue and de escalation with a wanna be nuclear power who's determined to.
Speaker 8: Destroy the West actually look like?
Speaker 7: It looks like absolutely nothing, because it would do nothing.
Speaker 8: This is how out of touch and naive they are.
Speaker 7: And I think the reason it probably took them twenty four hours to come up with anything was because they're waiting to see what Macron did and all their EU globalist friends, because that seems to be the only place they get foreign policy inspiration from these days.
Speaker 3: The problem was that the US strike happened on a Sunday, and it's very hard to organize a focus group on a Sunday, so they had to wait until Monday.
Speaker 2: Till they knew what to say.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, you heard Penny Wong and others talking about Iran may well launch attacks. Outside of the Middle East, there are sleeper cells in different parts of the West. I reckon the biggest sleeper cell is in Canberra, where the Labor government have been very sleepy in failing to respond to any of this in a timely fashion. The Coalition, to their credit, who are still looking to me like a bit of a rabble who knows what the coalition are doing. But even they had to wherewithal to get on the front foot and support our major ally support Israel, while the Australian government put out an anonymous, vague sort of banal you know, we support peace kind of statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And by the way, before I continue on that, the German Chancellor of Frederic Mertz has just told Parliament there that the moment has come for a cease fire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. And you'll remember Mert said last week that Israel was doing the world's dirty work in taking on around essentially. It's that's interesting development as well. I think the problem for the Albanezy government is that they have flip flopped so much on these things, and I think I've previously said that they've had more flip flops than Bondai Beach when it comes to this war, that they've actually forgot where they stand on anything. And so they've been caught a bit on the hop in the last couple of weeks with Israel of course going into Iran, and then of course the decision on the weekend of the United States to attack the nuclear sites because they're not sure how they can say, well, actually, we think the attack on the nuclear sites mightn't be a bad thing because it's good for the rest of the world without sounding like they're getting into bed with the United States and Israel on a war that they have essentially opposed for its entire existence. They can't walk and chew garm at the same time. They're too worried about how they're going to come across that they're not going to be, you know, logically consistent in any way. And I would say, well, who cares about that? I mean, I mean, surely in this case, even if we know what they've thought about the alban Easy and Wong have thought about the war all along, when they've spoken out of both sides of their mouth. But surely at this point you can say, regardless of all of that, what has happened here with Iran was the thing to do, remove it from the rest of the war and just say this was the right thing to do, not just for the region, but for the entirety of the world, because you know what, if Iran decides one day that they've got a nuclear bomb and they're going to attack the United States, who do you think is going to be going in to fight that war? US and Canada and the United Kingdom and all the Western allies. Do we want to be in that position?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: It should be as simple as.
Speaker 3: That, And yet the Albanezi government can't really express support for what has happened. Penny Wong and Anthony Albanezi over the weekend, when they were asked did they support what the US had done, they said something along the lines of we've always said Iran must not have a nuclear weapon. America have removed that threat. That's what has happened. So that's a nice summary of what actually occurred, but it failed to address the key question that they were asked repeatedly, do you support Donald Trump in having sent bomb over there? To take those nuclear sites out. They couldn't bring themselves to say outright, yes, we support that action because in Israel and in Donald Trump, Labor have a nation and a leader, both of whom they are ideologically opposed to. Even when they do the right thing, as you said, for the good of the world, neither our foreign minister nor our Prime minister can bring themselves to acknowledge it.
Speaker 7: And this is a government that's spent the last eighteen months more obsessed with Israel's actions than with bringing the hostages home. They've talked more about sanctioning Israeli ministers than they have Iranian ayatollahs or Hamas members.
Speaker 8: They're Israel obsessed.
Speaker 7: And partly it's because many within their own ranks despise the nation and they're electorally exposed. At the last election, the Muslim vote did gain surprising traction on a very hard pro Palestine line. So I think Labor is genuinely terrified. And unfortunately for the Jewish community in Australia, there's such a tiny percentage of the population concentrated in seats that hold no electoral significance to Labor, and so they are simply ignored and the labor is prioritizing their own seats, their own voters, their own members of Parliament, their own feelings over facts, reality and morality.
Speaker 8: And that's what happens.
Speaker 7: And now they're confused and they don't know up from down, right from wrong.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Well, we'll bring you any more developments as they occur during the course of the show.
Speaker 2: Let's move on to some other news.
Speaker 3: A curious story out of Queensland where a boarding school in Charter's Towers, which facilitates education for children right throughout the state, offers chartered flights paid for by the government to well, not all their students, but to a select group. Indigenous students at the boarding school in Charter's Towers are able to board government paid chartered flights to Normanton, which is about five north of Mount Isa. It's about a two hour flight to get them home. But these flights are open only to Indigenous kids, not to white kids.
Speaker 2: Who go to the same school, live in the same town.
Speaker 3: In Normanton, but because they're not Indigenous, they don't get to go on these planes.
Speaker 2: Ben Fordham spoke to one of the fathers.
Speaker 3: Of these children, who also works as an air Traffic Services reporting officer at Normanton Airport, and you described this discriminatory situation.
Speaker 11: You are the air Traffic Services reporting officer at Normanton Airport.
Speaker 2: Correct, yes, mate.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'm told that you regularly see twenty seat government chartered planes arriving with fewer than half the seats occupied.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 9: That is true?
Speaker 11: And your two sons who board at school in Charter's towers, they're not allowed to get on the planes.
Speaker 9: No, they're not. Why of cause they don't fall under ab.
Speaker 11: Study, So the flights are only available to ab study recipients. Yes, and you've tried paying for seats on the planes, yep.
Speaker 9: And the carrier even agreed to take our money. But the booking company that now does it, which is overseas, wouldn't refuse to allow our children to get on because it doesn't they don't meet the.
Speaker 6: Criteria because of their skin color.
Speaker 9: That's how it seems.
Speaker 11: Well, what's the point in having empty seats on a plane.
Speaker 9: We don't understand it either. It's taxpayer funded and if we're even, if we're even if we weren't willing to pay, the plane is coming here. It's being paid for by everyone's taxes, whether you're indigenous or non indigenous.
Speaker 2: So Cali helped me understand this.
Speaker 3: You've got parents of white children saying, we'll pay there's empty seats, can our kids board this plane? Otherwise it's possibly a six day trip for these kids to get home to Normanton. And no, sorry, no white kids or non indigenous kids allowed on the aircraft.
Speaker 6: Well I mentioned before, they're forty billion dollars we spend every year on Aboriginal affairs, and where the hell does it go? Clearly some of it's going here. And would you say that's a useful spending of our money. I would say not. I mean, everything old is new again these days. Racism is back. In fact, racism is good as long as you do it to the right people, it would seem. I mean, you know, Rosa Parks. We all learned about that story at school, didn't we the idea that segregation on the way to school is a bad Well, you know now we're doing it. We are doing it because we say that it's a virtuous thing to do. On what basis do you deserve special treatment to go home to your parents because you happen to have Aboriginal heritage? Fat zero, I would say, you're no more deserving than anyone else to get a flight back home. Now, obviously these flights are available on the basis of ab study, which of course is government funding for education. When you have people saying we pay to go on the plane, look, even if you're going to run the the scheme where you've seen the Aboriginal kids home for free, why wouldn't you just say, sure, we'll let you pay to fill up the other seats. It might balance out the money that we're spending on putting the program off.
Speaker 7: It makes absolutely no sense and it's just not efficient either. Why not, as you said, just fill up the seats. But another group perhaps that's trying to, on the contrary, eliminate discrimination and promote inclusivity, but in a very bizarre and kind of gross way, is the New South Wales Teachers Federation, who in their Journal for Teachers have published new suggestions that.
Speaker 8: All teachers should remove.
Speaker 7: Gendered language and not for gender neutral expressions. So instead of saying good morning boys and girls, the Teachers Federation recommends teachers say hello epic and awesome humans. Oh my teacher said that to me, I would think that was so cringe, so apart from removing gender language. Teachers have also been advised to address their children their students with empowering language. So when they're studying maths, don't just say hey, kids, say hello mathematicians when they're in pe Hello athletes, when they're in art, you amazing artists. Doesn't this breed delusion into children they are not. They've also been instructed to refer to children as intellectuals. I don't know what you guys were doing in school. I would not describe myself as an intellectual.
Speaker 8: This is absurd.
Speaker 6: Referred to as speak to yourself. My favorite is change makers and future leaders. I mean, if you've got to the point where the biggest problem you have as a teacher is whether or not you address the class as boys and girls or epic humans, awesome humans, or students or every everyone, or critical thinkers or investigators, what you've solved all the problems it would seem in education. Remember this the next time the Teachers Federation and the Education Union come knocking and saying we need more money for education because we're not able to teach the kids adequately with the money we've got. Just remember that next time they're using their time and money to say you can't call people boys and girls. I think you could be focusing on other things.
Speaker 2: Very good point. We're going to take a break.
Speaker 3: We'll come backwards with what's making news tomorrow, including the Queensland government brings down a budget with a deficit bigger than at the worst point of the COVID pandemic.
Speaker 2: That and more.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, we welcome back. Let's look at what's making headlines tomorrow. We're talking earlier about Anthony Albaneze's struggles to meet with Donald Trump, but there's other meetings that are a foot frayer.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, indeed, Alberzi's faces date with Ji before oval office in mind, Anthony Albanzi could meet with Jijingping for a fourth time before getting his first face to face talks with Donald Trump amid preparations for a prime ministerial visit to Beijing around the middle of July. While the government is scrambling to secure a meeting between the US President and mister Albanesi in Washington, DC in coming weeks, plans for the Beijing trip are well advanced and could see him head to China first. Multiple sources familiar with preparations for the China visit for the nation's annual Leader's Talk, were still waiting on final confirmation that the Prime Minister would proceed with the mid July trip, despite the program having largely been finalized. I mean, isn't that just symbolic of where the state of relations are between Australia and China versus Australia and the US. Albanesi is about to have his fourth face to face meeting with Gigi Ping, yet he can't even manage one with Trump. Clearly he's not scared of China. He's very friendly with this.
Speaker 6: Well, what you're not taking into account is that all that Trump has said about Albanizi is that he's very friendly with him. And after the election, you see quote unquote the man that won, I'm calling him by name. He's very good, he's a friend of mine. Where is the Chinese say that Albanzi is a handsome board? I mean, would you not be rushing off for that kind of praise?
Speaker 3: Again, the optics would be very bad if Albanzi met with Jijingping before he met with Trump, because it's not just before, it's he would meet with Jijingping for a fourth time.
Speaker 2: Have it? Never? Never met with Trump, and normally.
Speaker 3: You say, well, it's optics, but optics are important right now because the whole world is choosing sides, and so when you're choosing sides, optics matters. It would not be a good look and I don't know that it would make his White House visit when eventually it happens and he smoother no.
Speaker 7: Hopefully this motivates him to secure a meeting with Trump, but he's got a narrow window, only a couple of weeks to get to the US and meet with Trump.
Speaker 8: I don't think it's looking too likely.
Speaker 7: Also in the Australian gs WARNING in round Table revamp, Jim Chalmers is recasting Anthony Albanesi's Productivity round Table as a broader economic reform Roundtable, securing the first seat in the exclusive talks for Opposition Treasury spokesman Ted O'Brien, while warning the labour dominated states that any ideas they bring on GSD and housing cannot favor self interest over the nation. The Treasurer has moved to rebrand The August meeting, first announced as a productivity round Table by mister Albanezi, comes ahead of a vital call.
Speaker 8: The treasure has.
Speaker 7: Scheduled with Donald Trump's top treasury official, Scott Besson on Wednesday, during which they'll discuss global economic uncertainty, trade and tariff tensions, and new critical minerals. I mean, what is this round table really going to achieve? Does anyone think, like, genuinely, does anyone think this round table is going to do anything.
Speaker 8: I'm not convinced.
Speaker 3: We're not around for Kevin Rudd's Big Ideas Symposium where do you remember Kevin Rudder was famously sat on the floor up against the wall while a bevy of famous Australians came up with amazing ideas that were never implemented exact. The interesting thing to me about this story is not so much what will be accomplished, but more the dynamics of Jim Chalmers starting to reframe the Prime Minister's idea from a proactivity round table to now a more general economic reform round table. It's just interesting watching that relationship and how it plays out over the next little while. Good that Ted O'Brien is there, as he should be, but yeah, Jim Chalmers just putting his little mark on this event, and.
Speaker 6: To be perfectly honest, good on him, because I would trust Jim Chalmers over Anthony Albert and easy for competence, it has to be said. And let's not forget, of course, that the reason Jim Chalmers is doctor Jim Charmers is because he has a PhD in Paul Keaton, and Paul Keating is arguably that the last great reforming treasurer we had. So look, this thing may well be a lot of hot air, but I have to say, even if it turns out to be so, I'm glad to hear someone genuinely talking for the first time in a very long time, at least about entertaining the idea of economic reform because it has been off the agenda for a very long time in this country and it's sorely needed.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Speaking of economic reform, Queensland needs some. They release their state budget today and the headline tomorrow reads State budget train wreck. Treasurer awakes nursing Labour's COVID like deficit and record debt. Janetski's hangover is the headline. The article reads, The Queensland budget will remain a sea of red for the next four years as Treasurer David Jenetski struggles to fund Labour's cost blowouts and phantom programs.
Speaker 2: As revenue from the GST.
Speaker 3: And coal royalties dive, the budget deficit will reach eight point six billion dollars next year, worse than at the height of the pandemic. Now Janetski, of course, is going carefully because you'll remember some time ago when Campbell Newman was elected in a landslide to run Queensland and was promptly booted from office just a couple of years later, having gone very hard at cutting back spending trying to get the budget back into shape. He was punished for doing that, and so the LMP this time are advertising that they will move back into surplus in a responsible way. But for that to happen they'll need a couple of terms to do it. The only handout promised in the budget tomorrow for Queensland is there was a one hundred dollars payment per primary school student to help them get back to school next January. So the budget is tight and yet the deficit will will be large.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, sir, And that seems to be the case around the country at the moment, doesn't it. Before I get into the Daily Telegraph to report out of axios in the United States, about the phone call that happened between nitt Yahoo and Donald Trump. A White House source is saying that Trump spoke in an exceptionally and firm and direct way, quote unquote on his disapproval of the retaliation strike that Israel was about to carry out, and very firmly told nitt Yaho what needed to happen to sustain the ceasefire. The sourced quote, the Prime Minister understood the severity of the situation, the concerns Trump expressed, but Nittnah who basically told Trump that this was planned, this attack, and that there was no way essentially to stop it, and that they both eventually agreed to have the scale back attack that we saw on a radar near Tehran. So again, if there's any further details, we'll bring that to you. But getting back into the local news on the front of the Daily Telegraph tomorrow. The New South Wales, by the way, had a state budget today as well, and it's been relegated to a sidebar on the newspaper because there is a much bigger story in town, says Flaming Idiots. Businesses Fumobive Council's gas band businesses are pleading for Premier Chris Mins to fight back against the City of Sydney's anti gas crusade, fearing it could devastate the city's prized restaurant industry. And I love the photograph above it from a restaurateur, Naji Chew, saying that the anti gas drive could cruel her industry, saying, quote, you can't do Asian cooking on induction wots and she is absolutely right. I have to say, having been in rentals for a few years after I left lived left Adelaide, I've had until now electric cooktops everywhere I've lived. And when I moved into the joint I'm in now, Oh it has gas, and I was so happy. I said, I've got to go and get a walk so i can actually cook on gas again. Because it's true, there is no alternative to gas if you want proper high heat cooking. And she's right, can't cook properly in a Chinese restaurant of whatever with electric bagger all this how to save the planet stuff where you want good Chinese food?
Speaker 7: Amen to that, and just quickly before we go. In the Tasmanian Mercury, the headline is E Content crackdown the E Safety Commissioner has announced an imminent crackdown, forcing big tech to clamp down and restricting children from accessing porn, violent videos, and content that promotes disordered eating and self harm.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, coming up after the break.
Speaker 3: You won't believe what women in Melbourne are being asked to pay to listen to Hillary Clinton and Julia Gillard appearing as holograms talk about leadership.
Speaker 2: That's coming up in just a moment. Well, welcome back.
Speaker 3: In breaking news, Trump spoken to reporters on Air Force one as they make their way to the Hague for the NATO meeting, telling them he does not want to see regime change in Iran.
Speaker 2: He says that would lead to chaos.
Speaker 3: He also reveals that he's spoken to Vladimir Putin, insisting again that Iran must not get nuclear weapons. Apparently Vladimir Putin restated his offer to help mediate with Iran. There's no suggestion Trump has agreed to that, but there you go. Trump has, just in the recent moments, told reporters he doesn't want to see regime change in Iran.
Speaker 6: Kayleb Indeed and the Prime Minister's Office Benjaminitia, whose office is basically confirming the version of Vince I gave before about the phone call. Dave said, following prison, Trump's conversation with the Prime Minister Nitnya, who Israel refrained from further attacks. Ie. They were planning to carry out more than they did, but Trump convinced them to do otherwise. Before we go tonight, how would you like to pay three grand? Upwards of three grand? I think they're asking as much as thirty seven hundred dollars to go and watch a hologram of Julia Gillard and Hillary Clinton on zoom. This is some event being billed as the Women Unlimited Leadership Summit. It's being held all over the country. I think there's only one that's going to be attended in person by Hillary Clinton, which is in Sydney. The rest of them are going to have Julia Guillard as a hologram. For Heaven's sake, Lee's Sales is making appearance as well, but I think the only one she's attending in person is in Canberra. I mean, you know, they say a fool and his money are soon parted. I think in this case it's got to be a fool in her money are soon parted, doesn't it?
Speaker 7: And the tickets start at three thousand dollars. Three thousand dollars to see a hologram of Hillary Clinton and Julia Gillard. No, thank you, but thinking But speaking of other stupid things people are spending money on. Have you ever felt burnt out and stressed by work? Well, some Sydney siders are forking out between six thousand and twenty five thousand dollars on luxury burnout retreats where they do things like mentoring, breath work, meditation and nature immersion.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty sure that's just walking through the bush.
Speaker 7: But well, if you can charge twenty five thousand dollars for it, that's a good business.
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 2: Indeed, why not? That's it from us? Stick around.
Speaker 3: Coming up now our friends at Sky News UK with the latest on what's happening in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Goodnight,