Speaker 1: Boxing Day, Black Friday Supercoach preseason. Everyone loves a bargain, especially here on the official Supercoach AFL show, and there are more bargains in Supercoach twenty twenty five than you can poke a stick at. We discussed a bunch of them a few days ago on our Mid Price Madness show. Go back and listen to that one if you missed it. That, of course, is anywhere you listen to your podcast, plus the Code Sports channel on YouTube you get all your Supercoach content. This season, we had to draw the line there somewhere for mid prices, and that was at three hundred thousand dollars, but the potential game changes that don't stop there. With a surprising list of experienced players available in the real bargain bin under three hundred k, and today we'll sort through those names and find the players who are viable options for our twenty twenty five Super Coach teams. I'm your host, Al Payton, and with me again is Dos Doskret to have you back with us to talk more Supercoach value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you get stuck in? Probably not as big big a pool we've got to pick from as we did in the mid Price Madness episode just the other day, But still keen to find those value picks that really could be some of the winning picks this year if we get it right.
Speaker 1: And Dan Banden joining us for the first time in this new Supercoach year. Dan, we know you're a real rookie guru, but this might be stretching your talents somewhat. Hopefully you've got some good names for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've actually been a little bit out of the super Coach loop so far this season. We're focusing on super Coach BBO, which has been the band of my existence, all those laid out and things. But looking forward to jumping on and hopefully we can find a few value picks for those listening.
Speaker 1: And joining us. Today's special guests a longtime friend of the show, host of the Footy Mailbag podcast, Damo, Welcome aboard, and looking at that jumper in the background, Free, I might have a couple of juicy little bargains for us when we get to those during the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they might do. Thanks for having me, guys. Yeah, some nice cheap guys to have a look at in this episode.
Speaker 1: Hopefully absolutely so. The format here will be similar to what we did for our mid pressure a bit of a draft, going around the room calling out names that we want to discuss. Now, as I said, this isn't really about rookies as such, but I thought off the top, we might mention a few names potentially who are sort of older rookies that have been around for a few years. But we haven't really seen much of them, and they're still in the very very cheap bracket, so they won't be the main content of the show. But we'll mention a few names. And I mean, Dan, this is really your wheelhouse. So is there anybody there that you think could be a real option for us this season?
Speaker 3: I think the big one is probably Josh kibkiss Penny on his injury. He's been a rookie for us before and made a heap of cash and obviously a lot of us jumped on last year, and you know, we made the feel of pain when he suffered that injury so so early into the season. But if he Getty's body right, I think there's gonna be a lot of footy down there for the Tigers.
Speaker 5: So and he's intercep King, so I like him.
Speaker 3: He's still at a really good price at one fifty three K and he made about one hundred and fifty CAH on his starting price a few years ago when he was a rookie, so he's.
Speaker 5: Dead definitely one to consider.
Speaker 3: I've been down at Gelong training a bit for my role at a Gelong Advertiser and Mitch Never is looking good. I think he pumped out about a two hundred and ten score and in the last VFL game of the season he's at one hundred and forty nine K. As a midfielder, he's you know, even Dansfield said during the preseason at the beginning of the preseason sort of tipped him to be a part of that midfield group to start the season he was playing more inside than outside in the VFL.
Speaker 5: So he's another to look at. Zach Reid. He's he's just a perennial rookie, isn't he.
Speaker 3: You know, he's made a paper But you know, at that price, if he is playing, you'd think surely if he's fit, he's.
Speaker 5: Playing in that essenonce side.
Speaker 3: Another bomber as well, in a Lijah status was an absolutely ball magnet at junior level and a VFL level as well.
Speaker 5: Just whether he gets that midfield role.
Speaker 3: That's probably the only question mark because you can certainly find the footy and Neil Erasmus as well from the Dockers, one of Demo's men over there Ford midfielder and at a pretty good price as well. Just be whether it can squeeze into that pretty stacked free O midfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to throw it to Demo on that one. I mean, he's been putting up some big numbers in the Waffle. I know the Phantom is a big fan, but yeah, can you see a spot for him in the best twenty three or twenty two of the Dockers.
Speaker 4: Well, with Fife and Welters going under the knife to fix up, to fix up their knees, maybe he might get a role to start the season and be a good money maker over the first six or seven weeks and someone we can jump off pretty quickly, but someone we can start with to get a nice run of scores from.
Speaker 1: And yes, Dan mentioned the fact that he's a forward mid two. That helps because we need some players for our forward bench. Is another one in that category. Dos over in the Eagles, which I know you're watching very closely. Elijah Hewitt, how is he shaping up this prison, but we actually get a chance to see how good the Eagles think he can be.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope so yeah, I think from you know, I haven't seen too much yet coming out of Eagles, but I think, yeah, if we get a good look at him in the preseason, there's nothing like he should be basically in every team. I think. You know, it was a highly touted pick, could play through the midfield, even had some bursts through the midfield in his rookie year, but then missed the entirety of last season. So he's coming into basement price, you know, heading into that third season. I think it's kind of a no brainer pick if he does, if his body does hold up in the preseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice. All right, Well, we'll get now into the really interesting names, which is going to be a bit more fun, I think, and especially when we get to some of these late picks. I reckon we'll be coming up with some pretty juicy ones. But what was the draft order that we came up with. I think I'm running last again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the draft order we have today, which I did sort of have to make some shuffles for a few laid outs here, but Dan's coming up with the number one pick.
Speaker 5: Al, you're coming.
Speaker 2: Second today, Oh, ok, not too far down. Then it's me and then we've stitched our guests up the final spot in the draft. As we know, we're not doing a snake draft. This isn't really a draft in terms of who you'd pick first, who you'd pick last in this sort of positions. It's just more your gut feel who you want to pick and who you want to talk about in these under three hundred k brackets. So we're not talking about it as a draft. It's just sort of to get just to have a bit of fun with this episode out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, so Dan over to you. We'll call it the number one pick. You're on the clock.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take a bit of a cop out and it's probably going to take me about ten seconds to lodge this pick in this bracket. Caleb Daniel, he's priced at fifty average, which is just insane for someone who's all Australian in the past, and someone who's been a pretty consistent super coach scorer when he's had the role. He hasn't had the role of the past couple of years. Was the sub eight times last season when he got absolutely bevoed but scored ninety seven one hundred in his last two games for the Bulldogs. And you know, even his manager was saying when he got traded to North Melbourne that he wanted to be happy and free and obviously spoke about that that half back role, and yeah, I think it's a nice fit there for North Melbourn.
Speaker 5: They need someone to you know, to use the ball. Well, they had Zack.
Speaker 3: Fisher, you know, for crying out loud, that's who they turned too off half back. So I think he's one who's going to take all those points. You know, even mckirche does he move more into the midfield in twenty twenty five, I think it's only a matter of time until he does.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, Caleb Daniels just yeah, you know, throw away the key. I think.
Speaker 1: Anyone wan who think of a reason not to pick Caleb daniel like I haven't got.
Speaker 4: Any, seems pretty straightforward there because average ninety three hundred and one and ninety nine at the in the three seasons that he was playing that role. So even if he only replicates that the ninety three, that's still a good selection at two sixty nine k yeah.
Speaker 6: One percent.
Speaker 1: I mean He's one that you could imagine being a season long keeper for two hundred and fifty ode thousand. So yeah, pretty hard to overlook that we jumped straight to the second pick then, And I've got a few names I must sleep, but I better go with the guy before anybody else picks him, and that is Tom Lynch at the Tigers one hundred and eighty three thousand, which is an equivalent of a thirty five average. That's really rookie level. And you know, we've talked about Tom a bit on some of our pods already because obviously I'm a big fan as a Richmond manon just desperate to see him get back out there. He only played four games in each of the last two seasons, hasn't played a full season since twenty nineteen, so he's always got those issues with his body, and that's obviously the big red flag on him and the watchover preseason. But touch Wood at the moment, he's looking pretty good. Went down U Punt Road just before Christmas and he was looking absolutely ripped. Took part in some of the matches him was moving nicely. So I just hope he gets through to least round one and hopefully enough into the season to at least make us some money. Obviously, key forward's always a bit of a lottery, and you know, playing key forward for Richmond is probably not going to be the most lucrative role he could imagine. I mean, you go back to that twenty twenty two season when he averaged ninety four for the year, and he finished the season with some really high school I think he had a purple patch in the middle of the year where he went one sixty seven point eight four one seventy seven in a three week patch. So that'll be amazing. But I'm not expecting anything like that. But if he can just grab a bag of three or four a couple of times Spikey price, that might be enough for us to just make a quick hundred hundred and fifty k out of him and trade him on. But no early buy for the Tigers. They played their first game in Round one, So if he's named in that team, I think he's going to be in more super coos team, maybe on the field or on the bench. You could probably put him on the bench with the emergency, but that's that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves. But yeah, obviously I'm a big Tom Lynch fan, So am I am I just blinked by my Tiger supporting views or is there something genuine there? Does he?
Speaker 2: I mean at his price and given you know he's a veteran of the game, if he gets on the park, he's should be value. But I don't know if I can bring myself to bring in a key forward at Richmond season. So I think you're guaranteed to use a trade. And if we see an injury, which you know, unfortunately has plagued his career late in his career, you're just going to waste the trade. And does he even go up that much in value, I might just start with someone that is the basement type. If we do get those players named round one before the game open, like when round one begins, I might be tempted to just save that cash. And you know he's if he's going ballistic in the first couple, I might be happy to trade, say a failed mid price it down to a Tom Lynch rather than to start with him personally. But you know, you talk about his history and he should be under price based on that. But I think I'd be happy starting with someone a little bit cheaper and banking, say sixty K to spend elsewhere to stuff the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting point. Whether you could afford to just watch him for a couple of weeks. His price isn't going to move, and then yeah, if you feel like there is something there that you need that you can maybe move a few deck chairs and try and get him in. Although that price might be a little bit awkward, but yeah, given that the risk that comes with him, that probably is a sensible way to attack it. But Danny, do you like Tom Lynch and who you got for us with your pick? He already done, I've already picked out. It's not Richmond at the draft. I don't have every pick in the top ten. But I don't know about Lynch.
Speaker 3: But I think I was one of the ones who didn't pick Joey Danaher when he was cut price, and yeah, I was really made to pay out. I sort of had that attitude of oh, ja, he's a key forward. He could really stink it up. But I think even Charlie Kerno as well that year I passed on him, And yeah, he ended up firing, not so much at the start of the season, but ended up, you know, making a fair bit of cash. So yeah, he's on the park. Yeah, he'll definitely be in calculation. But I think the other thing as well is there's just so much value in the forward line, and so you know, it's type for spots. So he's probably going to need to be showing a bit in the preseason to justify its selecting him, especially if.
Speaker 5: There's a few rookies, cheaper rookies around as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for your point, I think Oscar Allen's another one who's shown that key forwards can be money makers, but you sort of have to ride the rollercoaster a bit with him. Now we'll get to Demo. Sorry, but that I've maked w the order already, so I'm terrible at this. Whoever's big it's supposed to be, now, feel free to jump in.
Speaker 2: I'll jump in because I really want this guy. And we did stitch up Damo, so I'm hoping that this wasn't your first pick. Demos did stitch up. But my man Taylor made for a second year breakout ari show and maker at two one hundred and seventy five hundred dollars. Haven't heard his name too much this preseason, but only played the four games last year average sixty four super Coach points. We still saw some impressive highlights though, with that booming left peg and elite disposal. The thing that I really like about him this year, there's no Josh Battle. He's off to the Hawks. There's no Riley Bonner who was delisted. That's twenty three games and nineteen games from their defense gone this season. Ari's going to come in there and mop up all that. All those possessions took kickins last year, even with guys like Jack Sinclair and Asia Wanganeen Miller in the side, had a massive kick to handball ratio in those in those four games, four point twenty seven kick to handball ratio in the AFL. That was twelfth overall of all players, and among defenders the guys above him was only people like Luke Ryan, Steven May and Econo McKenna randomly as well in there. But for me, you know, last year, this time last year, he was doing conditioning blocks in January February last year to get up to AFL standard and was even made to do some VFL training at this time last year. So from what we've seen, he's training with the main team he's my man for a big, big breakout in year two, and at two hundred and seventy k, you know you can just slot him in defense. Got a great buy as well, had some massive NFL numbers, so Ari shall make it. I'm big on in this price bracket.
Speaker 3: I did own him late last year and he is very fun to own because every time he kicks it, it's always fifty five to a contest, and he did have a couple of bigger games. The one I guess counterpoint is Toby Trevalia coming in. Does he take those points? Does he take the role?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: If I think Ari his kicking is a huge plus because he can kick it sixty on a bad day and really, you know, with his penetrating kick really set it up for defense. But yeah, it would be interesting to see if his role, if he is a lock in there and if he is that number one distributor from the Saints defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's a good PI. I don't know if he quite fits the criteria for this is his second year rookie. I've really been looking.
Speaker 2: At Okay though, that's that's smoky.
Speaker 5: I reckon that calls that counts.
Speaker 1: Let it, Damo we've finally get to you who we haven't taken all the guys you had in mind.
Speaker 4: No, luckily not. I'm I'm looking at Tom Douday at two hundred and fifty six K, so he's priced at forty nine. He averaged seventies and eighties at the Crows, but in twenty twenty one he finished with an eighty five point four average for the year. But first nine games average ninety two point three and then the last five games average ninety point two. And we know what the Crows, they didn't always have the most conventional key defender setup, so when he had his low games, that's probably when he had to be stationed back in a lockdown role. But now is at Brisbane obviously a year out of the system with the ACL, but I don't think he plays too much lockdown with Stacevich, Payne and Andrews all down there, and his high ceiling games came when he was able to roam up to the wing and go across half back and intercept and distribute a bit more. So two fifty six K even if he only gets up to his eighties average, he's still going to make a bit of money for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I must have been when I looked up some isn't them as I was a bit surprised by some of those eighties and scores and above that which I thought he was a real lockdown, fullback kind of guy. But yeah, obviously he has the potential to score a bit. But hasn't been much news around him over the summer. Do we know if he's how he's tracking on that sort of injury comeback.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was a like a full tear that he did of his ACL when he did it, so I don't think they were worried about him being out for any proportion of this season. But I don't know if he's in full training yet. But we saw how good Will Ashcroft was after his recovery, so we know that Brisbane know the you know, the steps to make their players return in the best possible condition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely want to put on the radar. So I think now we go back around to it is your turn again, Dan, right as you say with the Times. But yeah, we got got another name we can put on our watch list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going another line. I'm surprised is slid this far? What an absolute slide? Are Kitty Coleman at two sixty nine K a little bit out of sight, out of mind, but at that price, it's it's hard to miss him when you're scrolling down the list trying to look at defender options to seventy K. Obviously suffered that that acl in in the first round of last season, but you look at you know what sticks in my mind is that twenty twenty three Final Series. He pumped out of one twenty seven in the prelium against the Blues and then it was pretty much best on ground in the first half of that Grand Final against Collingwood with a he had twenty six disposals, six tackles, eight marks, seven rebound fifties, one hundred twenty seven super Coach points again, so that's back to back one twenty sevens from his last three, last two completed games, and you think that he's got a pretty defined role there for the Lions. So yeah, I think he's quite a good pick there in defense with there's obviously a few other options like Callum Mills and think that sort of cheaper sort of a price range, but yeah, I think he's probably going to be in my team.
Speaker 5: I would have thought and you're.
Speaker 3: I guess the one question mark maybe is does he take kick ins? But you know, I'm probably getting Kitty Calmen to take kick ins over maybe a Connor McKenna.
Speaker 5: Race back does Yeah, he might be.
Speaker 3: It might be of a race there back to the and yeah, hopefully it doesn't run too fast into his acl again. But yeah, that's probably the only real question mark. So it'll be interesting to see where he slots him. But yeah, it's great, a great priced.
Speaker 1: How much are you thinking about the fixture at this stage when we were already talking about a colem when maybe a due day and then you know Colla Mills, these guys and they all have a by in round three. Is that something we should be panicking about in early January?
Speaker 4: I mean, keep it in the back of your minds. But it's it's it's only just the team pick. You just play around find the players you like. But yeah, Kitty Colbert, like twelve months ago, he was in a lot of teams at three ninety eight K and now two sixty nine K, so he should be just as popular. Finished twenty twenty three with an average of ninety four point nine if you include the finals. So I mean over the last ten games. I mean, so I see no reason why people shouldn't pick him. And even in that game that he tore his ACL in, he scored thirty seven in forty four percent game time, which is a pretty good points per minute. So yeah, he should be pretty popular this this this year at two sixty nine K.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's another one will obviously be watching pretty close over preseason to say how he's tracking on the comeback from that ACL. So if I am looking at things rightly, I think I have the next pick, and I'm going with a crow in Isaac Cumming, former Giant who I have picked in Super Coach in the past, price at just fifty three average this year two hundred and eighty seven K, after really sort of falling off the radar for the last couple of years. He averaged ninety two back in twenty twenty one and ninety four in twenty twenty two, to think I must have picked him in one of those years, but in twenty twenty three that fell to sixty nine, and then he only played four games last year, although he did come back in for the finals and scored sixty four and one oh three, so sort of pricks up your attention and then he moves over to the Crows, where you think, obviously they've got an idea if they want to play him for start, which that's an immediate boost. I guess the big issue is going to be weird does he fit into that Crows team and if he's in the back line taking kick ins, which is something he's done in the past, I think that is you know what I really want to see. He only took one kick in for the whole of last year and he didn't play on from it. But if you go back to twenty twenty one, he took one hundred and forty and played on from seventy seven percent. In twenty twenty two he took one hundred and twenty nine kickings and played on from ninety percent. So no convincedence. That's when he was scoring really well. So for me, it's just a really close watch in the preseason to see exactly where he's playing. I think he's had a bit of a hamstring niggle already, which is a little bit of a setback, which is something that he's had some problems with, So that's not ideal, but you'd want to get him back in you know, if at least for those preseason games and get a good look at him. But at that price, he's another one. I mean, we talked about James Peeling the other day, you know, could you potentially pick both of them? But yeah, another real serious option there in the midfield. I think it, you know, just the under three hundred k price range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the injury concern early, it's just it's it's something that, yeah, unfortunately must be talked about. But do you really I guess I'll throw it a damo. Do you see him getting back to those GWS ways or do you do you think sort of the game has sort of sped up a fair bit seen he was doing those those big numbers, taking lots of kick ins. Do you think he can still have a big enough impact to Obviously he's dirt cheap, so you know you'd expect him to go up a little a fair bit regardless, but as a midfield slot, you kind of it. It's pretty valuable slot to be using on eyes at coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was going to say, I love everything about the selection, apart from the fact that he's a mid only. It's an awkward price to having your midfield, especially with all the other value in there. So like if it was a defender, I reckon he would be rivaling you know, the likes of you Kittie Coleman's and you Callum Mills' selection in the back line. But as a midfielder, is he really worth using one of your midfield spots for him, especially when you've got the likes of James Petling as well. That's about eighty k more. That's probably going to be a little bit more fruitful, a bit more of a fruitful selection for you. So yeah, I'm not sure. I mean, he might get to his mid nineties average again playing that half back role, you know, basically emulating what Brodie Smith has done, but is that enough for you to select him in your midfield.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a fair question. I mean I think he's a definite candidate to get DPP maybe at round six, whether that helps it all sort of, And we'd pick a few of us picked Nick Martin last year under that theory that at that time he could swing him back to the back line. But yeah, it's hard when there's only so many slots to go in the midfield and we have as Dan keeps telling us all these amazing rookies that we want to pick in there as well. He might score well for you know, fifty or hundred k cheaper than coming. So yeah, he's He's definitely not a lock, but yeah, definitely someone I like the look of and as I said, I have picked him in the past and he's been good to me, So I'm keen to see how he goes over at the Crows.
Speaker 5: Does he take the kick ins you reckon at the Crows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good question. I mean again, yeah, we just have to watch and see. I don't think they had a real obvious designated kick in taker last year, so that's potentially open. But he has also been known to sort of slide up onto a wing, and you know, we definitely don't want him doing that. So yeah, we'll see what the role looks like. He starts seeing some some intro clubs and mutual practice matches.
Speaker 5: Mark, Yeah, that's right. I was going to say huge.
Speaker 2: With the two kicking leaders at Adelaide, So yeah, yeah, if they decide that he's in that role, I think probably we have to look a little bit closer. But he's another one that i'd be happy to just wait and see. I think unless he just blows our socks off in preseason games or matches him that we see and we can see he's clearly in the role. He's one that I'm not willing to give him that Riley Bonner sort of tag. How it was just very clear in the preseason. I don't know with the Isaac coming at this point, but yeah, he's definitely one to watch. Shall I jump into my pick which also surprise this guy's slid so far. I think he might be one of the most owned players in super Coach when the game does open. But Matt Flynn two hundred and sixty one thousand, nine hundred priced at just forty eight a ruck, and that the West Coast Eagles desperately need just the four games last year with ankle and hamstring issues. Played six games in the Waffle as well, average ninety six in the Waffle, So showed you know, I mean, we know second tier comps, a lot of these players just dominate regardless, but still had six hitouts to advantage thirty one hitouts a game could manage fifteen disposals in that league. It isn't the easiest league going around. The waffle, so we can say at least it's not the old Nethl days there.
Speaker 5: So Matt Flynn sample under eights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think honestly though, if he's named, I think it's just a smash platflex. We're always asking or wondering, how do we play these these R threes that you know we want to take a punt on? And if Matt Flynn is named and is playing early, I think he's kind of almost not a no brainer. You know, there's lots of different strategies you can play with the new flex position if you are if you have been living under a rock, flex is the new position in super Coach. There's going to be twenty three players on field this year and only your best twenty two account. But I think, yeah, Mattlin for me, is going to be a really popular selection, at least in the early planning stages before we kind of figure out those those round one teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the only question for me on him is just, you know, in our dream world, he just walks straight back into the number one rock roll of the Eagles, and we've seen cheap rucks is such a great way to score Super Coach points if you're effectively comparing him to other rookies in other positions. You know, at the ruckie just get first crack at every stoppage and even if you're half decent at it, you'll average seventy or eighty. And we've seen, you know, the Jordan's Sweets of the world come in and make a heap of money doing that. So it'll be great if that's the role that he gets. I just you know, I sort of want to see it because those they got him from GWS for that role and last year he had injuries and things just didn't work for him and Bailey Williams played there. Yeah, how do they use those guys? Hew? Does the puzzles sort of fit together this year? And again, I guess once we get some actual games, we'll get a better look at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to see what mcgold wants to do with the squad and how they shape up as well. There's going to be just so many it's one to really watch closely. But he's a guy that they need regardless, I think, and hopefully get some games into him this year. But Demo, you're up next, mate.
Speaker 4: I better pick someone from the dockers, I'm going with Nathan O Drisko one hundred and ninety eight K. He's been injury ravaged over the last few seasons and it's not been because of choice that he's been out of the docker's side. And I think in an ideal world he is playing on the opposite wing to Jeremy Sharp, running the ball from half back to half forward, being that guy that can also go inside if needed, kind of almost like a more outside version of Humor Pluggage, if that's at all possible. But I mean, if he can get back to the way that he was playing in his debut season, when I think he scored nineties in his first two weeks of full games or close to that. Anyway, I reckon at one ninety eight K he is an absolute bargain and he only needs to make one hundred K on hundred and fifty K to be a successful selection. And at this stage you'd think he's in the docks best twenty three heading into round one.
Speaker 2: I remember his rookie year. I think you know, we were sort of he sort of came out onto the scene because I think he didn't sorry his second year he sort of managed to crack into the team. I think it was. And yeah, he seemed to be kind of that heart and soul player demo like you're saying, and he sort of has had some big performances over the years, but coming in at sort of basically almost basement or you're paying sort of like a top end draft pick, sort of top ten draft pick range, Dan, do you reckon he's got sort of maybe a bit more job security or would you sort of be leaning towards I know you know the draft really well, would you prefer to spend that money on one of these gun players from the draft this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting we sort of know what we're going to get from O'dris skull like and he has been a profitable, profitable rookie before, but he was at that basement price of course, you know, playing in that wing role. It'll be interesting to see sort of which you obviously obviously you even look at like Melbourne, there's often an unrewarded winger who you know, or even Camden Macintosh, say at Richmond, who's not getting many of the touches, but he's just running end to end. So where is it Jeremy Sharp who's getting most of the possessions and you're playing in the attacking role and it's it's not playing as the in the defensive role. So it'll be interesting in that regard. But yeah, you compare it to say, like a Josh Smile, who's probably going to be playing inside midfield most weeks, and there's a a host of others who could potentially be in the frame in that midfield mix. I'd probably have others aheads I think, and less he can. He really shoots the lights out in the preseason and we know he's going to have like a pretty pretty promising role. But yeah, I mean it's definitely one to look at, especially if those other midfield rookies don't emerge or that you know, maybe they debut a bit later than opening round or round one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, so it's background to you. Damn, we got one pick each left. Is there any any gems still left on the board.
Speaker 3: There's not a lot, to be honest, But I'll go a bit outside the box. I've been a little bit cookie cutter, and this isn't really the podcast. We've been a cookie cutter, but you know, I'll go from a guy I've been watching at Cat's training in camp Gus three two hundred and seventy eight k midfielder Price at fifty two average. You know, he won a Best in Ferris in He's joined Best in Ferris in Geelong's premiership year in twenty twenty two. But since then he's only played about ten games all up. And last year, who played about five or six games, sorry seven, I think it was about seven or eight games all up, and that was including VFL as well. I tried to get back in late in the season and after that achilles issue that really plagued him throughout the season. But yeah, and his year so it looked like a decent He actually was going to be in my team to start twenty twenty three and then his first practice game pinned his quad. It was pretty much in the first ten or twenty seconds of the game. So injury obviously is the massive question mark. But he's been running well at Cat's training. Obviously it's only running, but he's on a bit of a modified program there down at the Cutteries. So we know what he has produced in the past. You think that's probably beyond him. But if you can get to a ninety five one hundred average, especially over those sort of first eight weeks you can easily pivot to a premium after making a fair bit of cash. But the only obviously, along with those injury issues.
Speaker 5: He's thirty two.
Speaker 3: And he does have that round three by so if you are picking him, you probably can't pick your Kitty Colemans, Tom Dooday and a lot of those guys. But yeah, I think he's another one. Obviously it's slim pickings in this sort of bracket, but yeah, another to you know, keep a bit of a watch on during the preseason.
Speaker 1: Baylor Smith obviously is the other one who shares the buy in of course playing in the same team. But we've been talking about him a lot, and a lot of the talk is you know, who's the Cat's number one midfield of Bears is just going to walk straight in there? But how do you see it shaking up? And does you know is Cam Guthrie part of the mix?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting question because you know, obviously you've got Bailly Smith, Tanner Bruin, camp Guthrie of his feet.
Speaker 5: You think Danger is probably going to be out of there a bit more.
Speaker 3: But they still did so much better when he was in versus when he was out.
Speaker 5: On the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joie Clark, but yeah, I don't think they've been trolling him off half back to start the preseason as well, which is interesting because he doesn't have a great kick on him, but yeah, you know he's pretty agile. So and then obviously Max Holmes and Tom Stewart, like you know, it could be a bit of a horses for courses with with Max Holmes because he seems to inject so much, whether it's in defense or the midfield. So to answer your question, I'll absolutely no idea what's going to happen. I think you can bank on Ballely Smith being there, but yeah, can Guthrie will be there if he's fit, but again that's a big if.
Speaker 5: They'll definitely be conservative with him.
Speaker 2: I would have thought, apologies if this is anyone on anyone's list, and cut me off and we can talk about him after. But just speaking about Geelong as well, is there any news on Toby Conway for this season coming down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been on a modified program when I've been down there. Obviously you've got your Cam Guthries and Jack Martins who are sort of completing some of training. And then sort of just going off and doing their own running, whereas Toby hasn't been doing a lot. But it's no actual injury he had obviously the stress fractures or stress fructuring his foot that end of this season. It seems to be more just a conservative management rather than necessarily that foot injury that he's.
Speaker 5: Been sidelined with.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm very unsure about how they're going to go about the rucks, whether it is a Sanda Coning who ends up rucking as he did at times during the second half of the year and then or whether they go again with ree Stanley or even Mitch Edwards, the draft e from a couple of years ago who showing some good signs on the track. But yeah, you think Toby Conway will be fit for around one. But I think just like last year, they're not gonna throw him to the wolves. It might be two weeks in, one week out. That's sort of that sort of thing, as they did last year managing him along with ree Stanley. So I think, yeah, the fact that Reeve Stanley's on going on another year isn't a great sign in terms of the trust they have in Toby Kanway's body. So yeah, I think that all certainly will play out a bit over the next couple of months, and.
Speaker 2: A mid price anyway, he would have been in the other bracket, so that's my bad anyway.
Speaker 6: So yeah, still potential value there, but yeah, you'd want to make sure he's getting a regular game if you're playing three hundred and forty k rap l.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, yes, it must have been. My topics have all been spoken about already. But so let's just go absolutely crazy here and someone I had not thought about it all until I read an article in The held Son about two days ago, and that is Jack Silvanni. He's two hundred and fifty nine. Kay missed all of last year after doing his ACL in January. Looking at his numbers in the past, he's averaged around seventy seventy five, which you know, it's not bad, but probably not enough to pick him at that price. But then there's a mention in Josh Barnes wrote this article on the Held it's unsaying I think might have even been talking up about training with the defenders. I think he's just in the WhatsApp group with some of the defenders, and Josh asked, Jack, is this a real thing about playing in defense this year, and his quote is, as far as I know, it's legit. So yeah, definitely one to just to pencil into the watch list. And if you know, we've seen this before where players that you hadn't really even thought about go into defense and play a role where they're maybe you can imagine him playing a bit loose floating around getting some uncontested in intercept marks even and that can be a real ticket to super coat scoring. So he's wanting to keep in mind. I remember picking Mitch McGovern down at the Blues a couple of years ago, thinking he's going to take all the intercept marks and didn't quite work out. But yeah, Jack's a very solid citizen as we know, and yeah, he could be a fun pick in super Coach. So he's a forward obviously, So again we talk about the forwards being pretty crowded with all these value picks, but he's another one that we could potentially look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that had that fantastic year a couple of years ago, but he was playing quite a bit of midfield and like almost backup rock when he seemed to score well. Because I remember I was a draft owner at the time, and I was he had the weirdest role. He could just sort of like, I mean, throwing him in defense probably isn't a surprise. He's sort of a jack of all trades, can do a bit of everything. So yeah, he'd be a real punt for me. I think, I think I know you had to, I know you had to clutch at something there alver. I think I'd be really waiting to see some sort of role out of him. I think he'll be purely on my draft boards in super coach and nothing else, but.
Speaker 3: This could many teams. He got eighteen teams in that draft. Is your last pick?
Speaker 2: Look, speaking of players taking a punt on, this is my final pick. And another guy that maybe he's left see our taste in our mouth in the in the past and certainly been mostly just draft relevant, but coming to the power this season at two hundred and thirty three thousand, seven hundred dollars to take Dan Houston's role surging up to a ninety five to one hundred average, we got Rory Atkins.
Speaker 5: How it's all in the sample super coach.
Speaker 2: Most likely three games at AFL level last year only average thirty eight, But in the VFL he was absolutely killing it for the Gold Coast Suns last season, thirty three disposals a game, twenty one kicks when it's seventy seven percent kicking efficiency, racked up ten marks a game in seven rebound fifties, one hundred and twenty seven super coach points for him on average in those sixteen games, So not a small sample size for that average. Why not Rory Atkins. They're searching for a player to use in their back line that you know who is it? Is it going to be josh Sin? We've had names we hit here, Joshin's name every preseason just about for since he's been drafted, So five seasons averaging over seventy for Rory Atkins, including seventy two as recently as twenty twenty three from seventeen games with the Sun. So look at two thirty three k I'm probably not bold enough to do it, but we've heard over here in Adelaide. He had a presser when he first came. There was quite a bit of Rory Atkins Bazza. They threw him to Medea a few times, but he was saying, look, I'm, you know, keen to have an impact this year and beyond, so he's sort of pegging himself into the lineup for a few years to come. Still, So look, if if his confidence has anything to show for it, maybe he will have a role this year. Let's wait and see. But if he is named and he has a role, you know there's plenty of ball to go back there with Dan Houston out of the side. Demo your thoughts on Rory Atkins.
Speaker 4: I have no thoughts on Rory Atkins. He has not come into my thinking at all. I know a few years ago he was rookie price, pretty close to rookie price, and everyone was wanting to get him in late in the season because he was the only one actually making money. But as far as a selection for twenty twenty five goes, I think I'd have to be pretty down the bottom of my list as be selecting him in my starting side.
Speaker 3: Dam I just a quick quote from Chris Davies, like just when they did the Houston trade and god Atkins, he said of him, we think he can add depth to our squad overall, you know the issue we've got with senior players at sample level. We think he can definitely do a job for us there. So I think that says all you need pretty much to saying we picked a sample player.
Speaker 2: That is right rough, all right, round out this. Who have you got? You got some diamond in the rough that we've missed here.
Speaker 4: I think my pick might be worse than Rory Atkins, to be honest, I've gone with Bailey Humphrey at the Suns two seventy K in his debut season. He had a RUND average of ninety six point two. And everyone's picking or has picked Shy Bolton in the past because of his role. Let him move when he rolls up into the midfield off the half forward line and sometimes attends some center bounces, and Bailey Humphrey when he plays that role, he has a really high ceiling. No idea what Damian Hardwick has planned after all these acquisitions in the off season, you know, drafting Leo Lombard, got Noah Anderson matt Row. Who knows where Sam Flanders plays this season? What do they do with John Noble and Daniel RIALI. But if Bailey Humphrey can forge a role similar to like a Dylan Moore like econom McDonald kind of thing at the Suns and he has some midfield minutes, pushing up from half forward. Then Bailey Humphrey might be someone we look at, but you know, it's not a great selection to fit to round out the podcast with, but just someone that sticks in my mind because I had him late in that season when he was getting those big scores. I think we all jumped on him around that buy because we wanted some money to play with in upgrades in that season.
Speaker 2: I remember, I think there was a highlight from when he played VFL, I think before maybe getting into the AFL, or a preseason highlight. It was something where he did the Dusty fend off and it was a goal from outside fifty. So I remember some Dusty comparisons early in the career, and yeah, I didn't know that that five round average you mentioned, I think that sounded pretty pretty full memory.
Speaker 1: He had this ridiculous run where he kicking Darlin That's right, he kicked like the winning goal two or three games in a row, or you know, the clutch golded sealer where he got this extra little spike at the end of the game to push his score up. But I remember because I didn't have him and it was really annoying and he kept doing it. But I think Dan you might have been a happy Humphrey owner from not Mistaken then and also did a bit of work on you know, talking to him before he was drafted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he's a great kid. It does a lot in the mental health space. So I suppose to him in the lead up to him being drafted, so watched him very close. I think it's a matter of of if, not a matter of when, not if he becomes a full time midfielder. He's just so damaging as we saw during that period that Damo mentions. You know, he was only having about sixty percent time on ground because he was he was pretty gas. But you know, he has the capacity to win games and whether in the in the midfield or up forwards. So I think he will become a lot more super coach relevant into the future. But yeah, it's just whether he can get that consistent midfield time and whether he is his tank is up to it, because you know, if that's all, if he's ticking those boxes, then yeah he's you know, he can have twenty five disposals and win you a game and you know, kick kick two goals. So yeah, he's super damaging, super powerful at the contest and yeah, as we saw it can't kick goals, but yeah, it's just that midfield forward split. Whether whether it sort of tips over that sort of sixty percent, then we can definitely consider it. But yeah, it's hard to break into that suns of midfield, especially with guys like Leo Lombard and obviously the stack midfield they already have.
Speaker 1: Interesting he said, yeah, he's already yeah, you know, a pretty mature guy talking about some of those mental health issues very early on. And he did an interview with Calm dickup in Brisbane in December where he talked about being compared to Dustin Martin early in his career with you know, some of those traits that he had, and he said that, yeah, he did actually struggle with that a little bit, and he's the quote is it did take a toll on me mentally. I felt like I had to be him having thirty disposals and three goals every game, and when I didn't do that, I feel like I was letting people down. So he's, you know, that's sort of something that he's actually working through himself. To you, as he says, forge his own path, and you know, he knows he doesn't have to be compared to someone like Dusty, So yeah, he's got a pretty mature head on his shoulders, and yeah, you know from what we've seen, and be great if he can break out and have a successful career. But yeah, would that translate to a successful pick in Super Coach, I mean potentially the prices. He is a tempting so definitely one to watch.
Speaker 2: I think now if we're not picking him in our classic size, we're definitely looking at him in our keeper league, in our draft league. So yeah, regardless, a great, a great, great pick that day, mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good shout. So I've just had a few other names that we didn't get to, but I thought I just mentioned because it's sort of surprising how many experienced players show up when you do look through the you know, scrolling scrolling down down down to the bottom of the Super Coach prices, and some pretty surprising ones in there, or just some blasts from the past. I mean I've seen in a couple of early teams Callum Coleman Jones. He's only one hundred and twenty eight thousand as a forward, but we know he hasn't quite fulfilled his potential. And also he's got a delayed preseason at the moment with some complications in his record hed.
Speaker 5: He sidelined until May or June as well.
Speaker 3: From that, he had a really really nasty injury last year stretch it off, so you'll probably cross him off the lease even but when he maybe it's a mid season down.
Speaker 5: Great option of one thirty K if he breaks.
Speaker 1: In Joe Ferra, who not a hugely well no name but at court more because I know our friend Tim has picked him in the past in Super Coach, maybe you'll go there again this year. He's only one hundred and nineteen thousand despite being aged twenty eight. He was originally drafted in twenty nineteen, but struggled to get a game in the last couple of years. Over back over in Frio, Oscar McDonald only played the one game last year and hurt his knee, so I don't if there's any hope that he'll get back into Frio's best team. But he's only one hundred and nineteen k in defense, so there's a few others there. What about David Swallow, former number one draft pick. He's played two hundred and forty AFL games. He's two hundred and thirty three thousand defense forward DPP. Is that to tempt you at all? Does he not?
Speaker 2: At all? Every time last year was yeah, No.
Speaker 1: Actually he was the sub nine times. Yeah, so it became a bit of a professional Subit got another year on the list. What about Dom Sheeed? What happened to him? He's now two hundred and thirty eight thousand, but only averaged forty four last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought about mentioning him on this show. There was just guys. I probably like more. Maybe he could have taken the Rory Atkin spotfight. Look, Sheed, I think I started to worry. I think it was two years ago people were talking about him as an option, and I saw him wearing the career savers out there on the field, the old assex trustee shoes that are only you only wear when really towards the end of the career, not the start.
Speaker 3: I think I wore an old junior career. So it probably says about.
Speaker 2: Brow generally, but no, he I really I hope he gets back to his best. He's only twenty nine years old, so probably in that in that mold of you know, I think he's even younger than your Cam Guthrie. Who if he can crack back in. But both those guys, you know, veterans that have done it before. Sheed's never been to the to the heights of a cam Guthrie in terms of his super coach scoring prowess. But obviously a match winner as we saw in twenty eighteen. So a guy that thank you very much so.
Speaker 3: To get that one into for the Hollywood fans listening and.
Speaker 1: Laste one for day ma. What about Michael Wilds down to two hundred and thirty six thousand at the Dockers, still running around maybe last year, you might think, but is there anything left in the tank for suns?
Speaker 4: I don't even know if he's in the best twenty three anymore. You know, they've got Bolton, they've got switch Kowski, they've got Stirt. You know, they've just drafted Murphy Reid, and then the year and then a year ago they got Cooper Simpson as well. So is Michael Walter's even in their best twenty two or twenty three anymore? It's hard to you can make a case for him, but it's also hard to you know, endorse the selection as well.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe a sub specialist sub, come on, impact player. I remember he was a favorite, well not so favorite pick in super coaching years past, when he had a blistering run in the midfield and I brought him in at some ridiculous price and then he went straight back to the forward pocket. So but I do like watching him plays. He's a good fun player to watch. So I think those all the names really exist exhaust too. I had down, but there's plenty of there is from.
Speaker 3: One very I think the one that's snuck through Angus Sheldrick.
Speaker 5: I don't mind him.
Speaker 3: He was looking alright a couple of years ago. It's thought, oh gee, it's just you know, you obviously had awesome junior numbers again in Waffle under eight en, so you know, akin to sample under eight EN's. But yeah, had I've had that sort of Bailey hum Free effect where he burst onto the scene and had a good, you know, sort of five run game. And you know, with Luke Parker out of that side, like, do you think he is a decent shout DOSSI obviously a w A boy, but that Dean Cox will will play him in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, him and Braden Campbell. I'm really interested to see where they fit into the side. Because Campbell's also a cheaper, cheaper price player that should be I think getting more opportunities this year. But averaged I just looked it up. Eighty eight super coach average in the VFL last year for Sheldrick, which includes presumably an injured game of nine, so you'd probably bump that up a little bit into nineties. There at least he had six or so tons. And you also presume that would have been playing a little bit with Luke Parker so in the NFL last year, So twenty four disposes of a game four marks, six clearances. But yeah, he also he was one that when he did play early on, I was really keen to see him play. Seemed to be able to rack up the pill. So definitely one that I would consider. You know, he is in that super cheap sort of rookie bracket. He's definitely one that I'd be locking into my team if we see that Dean Cox, you know, has his eye into some sort of role for Sheldry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from memory, he was a real points per minute guy. When he burst into the scene. He had very low game time, but when he was on, he showed he could actually score points. One of the names that I forgot that I will mention in passing two just because maybe could finish up with him, because we know he's a favorite of the Hipster and the phantoms Layer, and that is Jack Carroll famously kept him by the Hipster one day by mistake, and he's moved from Carlton Tuson killed always picked up as a delisted free agent. Actually played fifth dean games for the Blues last year, but was the sub in nine of those. So you know, we talked about some and kue to midfield, who knows what they're going to do over there, but he's only two hundred and twenty four. K's if award meet in Supercoach, So just wanting to keep an eye if he does get to get a look in in the preseason. He's got a decent game, can win clearances and get his hands on the pill if he gets the opportunity. So here's another one coming in pretty cheap that we could potentially look at.
Speaker 2: Certainly, love love all these options, and again I'll be if I'm not looking at them in classic, I'll be certainly pegging him in my draft.
Speaker 5: Boards and seeing him there.
Speaker 2: There's I mean, there's more that we didn't even get to but I won't mention them. We've spoken for far too long for an under three hundred k podcast. Thanks so much for joining us, Damo. Let us know where we can listen to you and find you on the socials there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I host the Footy mail Bag. As was said at the top of the podcast, head to the Footy Mailbag dot net and that's got all the links to all of our social media and all of our episodes when they come out.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much for joining us, Demo, and of course if you could also leave a rating review if you're listening on Spotify or Apple, and then also follow along see our beautiful faces on the YouTube channel this year at Code Sports. That's where you can find all your Super Coach AFL content this preseason and into the season. But thanks very much for listening and we will see you on the next podcast. We'll be talking premiums jumping, throwing away the under three hundred k bargains, jumping straight into premiums. Next episode, we'll see that