Speaker 1: General, welcome the late debase.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Doorra and Caleb Bond.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 2: Fake Lamborghinis being sold on Facebook.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: A little later, although I've got to say, Caleb and Liz, if you're looking on Facebook to buy a Lamborghinni, you can't afford Lamberginning. Plus, when we look at the papers, Sydney councils taking two hundred days or more to approve building developments, that's in the middle of a housing crisis, and labor being pushed to include dental in medicare.
Speaker 3: We'll get all of that when we look at the papers.
Speaker 2: But first, British car manufacturers are rationing the sale of petrol vehicles in order to avoid massive fines for missing government imposed mandates for quotas on electric cars. Now, the British government has mandated twenty two percent of all new car sales have to be electric vehicles, and that percentage ramps up every year until in twenty thirty it has to be eighty percent of new cars electric. And they're threatening manufacturers with fifteen thousand pound fines. It's about thirty thousand Australian dollars for every petrol vehicle sold outside the quota. The problem is not enough people want to buy electric vehicles. So have a listen to this admission by Robert Forrester. He's the chief executive of Virtue Motors.
Speaker 3: In the UK.
Speaker 2: He told journalists in some franchises there's now a restriction on supply of electric cars, sorry of petrol cars and hybrid cars, which is actually where the demand is. It's almost as if we can't supply the cars people want, but we've got plenty of the cars that maybe they don't want. The manufacturers are trying to avoid the fines, so they're constraining the ability for us to supply petrol cars in order to try and keep to the government targets. Now, he went on to explain that if you walked into many car dealers to day and said, hey, I've got the cash, I want to buy a car, they would not deliver that car to you until February next year, not because the car is not ready, it's just that manufacturers are holding them back because they want to make sure they meet the quotas for electric vehicles and avoid fines. He goes on to explain the consequences of this. He said, what the government's actually doing is constraining the new car market, which has a big impact on that receipts, that's tax income, and creates a business environment in the UK where manufacturers may question whether they want to make cars here at all. Well, Caleb, if only we had some sort of warning that, you know, Soviet style command economies.
Speaker 3: I hang on a second.
Speaker 2: There was a Soviet Union where they tried this very thing and it failed. And what do they say, Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And this is happening right across the Western world.
Speaker 4: Indeed, and that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It's a good day to be used car salesman, isn't.
Speaker 2: It, Because what rices will go exactly.
Speaker 4: What this will do is inflate the used car market because if you can't buy a new car that you want, well, your only other option is to go and buy a used car. And let's be honest, this is coming to a car dealership near you because the Albanesi government has its own targets for vehicles being sold in this country that are about to come into effect, and it's slightly different in that they're not going to find companies for selling too many petrol cars or not enough electric cars. But they have an overall tax system basically where you know, if they sell too many cars that put out too many emissions, then they have to pay a tax, and of course that tax then gets.
Speaker 1: Passed on to the consumer. But don't worry.
Speaker 4: Don't remember when all of this was touted and we were told by the government that was going to happen, Chris Bowen cassanover Bowen told us nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: There will be no restriction on cars whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Companies can continue to import any particular model they wish.
Speaker 1: No model will be mandatory, no model will be banned.
Speaker 4: Sure, no model will be mandatory or banned by law. But the effect of the rules is that if the manufacturer wants to be able to sell cars at a reasonable price to consumers, they have to think about the sorts of cars that they are selling. And what we have seen and I imagine it's exactly the same in the UK, is that the market for hybrid vehicles has gone through the roof. Consumers are not of verse are not averse to buying vehicles that are better for the environment and ultimately better for their hip pockets because if you're driving a hybrid vehicle, you spend far less on fuel because you're using half battery half fuel. Essentially, it's good as a driver, it's good for the environment. That is what the market has decided people want to buy. But the federal government here, just as the government in the UK, s is no, you must buy electric vehgles, except even though they're trying to force people to buy electric bigles, still not buying electric vehicles.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is a sham, which.
Speaker 5: Is why you know that it's just a matter of time before they make similar laws here, because that's what government does with all their terrible ideas. They know it's not going to take up. They can see the market. The evs haven't taken off. We've got thousands of them piling up in the country and nobody wants to buy them. So when you come up with a terrible idea, you have to mandate it.
Speaker 1: Because it's not catching on, so you've.
Speaker 5: Got to make it compulsory. And the EU has already made similar measures than the UK has, which we're discussing here. So has Canada, and so has several states in the US. It's just a matter of time before Australia's whacked with the same thing.
Speaker 1: We know.
Speaker 5: The Act has already banned the sale of petrol cars from twenty thirty five. Then the Climate Council came out just two weeks later after that ban came into I don't obviously it won't come into effect till thirty five, but that bill was passed and the Climate Council comes out two weeks later and says, we recommend this be nationwide. It's got to be nationwide. How else are we going to reach our zero emissions targets. It makes sense everyone.
Speaker 1: Should be doing this.
Speaker 5: And that was also just weeks after the federal government put their new fuel efficiency standards in place. So you can feel the noose tightening around your neck if you're someone who just wants to buy whatever car you want, drive whatever car you want. They're already building the stepping stones to a similar mandate like this one. I say it all the time, but this one is clearly another case of predetermined outcomes when they're all acting in concert like this, Like you said, Caleb across the West. It's clear it's just a matter of time before Australia's in the same basket.
Speaker 2: The interesting thing about the sale of evs in the UK is that where sales are increasing is with fleet and so it's mostly companies that have their own internal policies because they've got to meet climate targets so that they can prove that they are virtuous and deserve to do business. So they're buying electric vehicles, but not because they want them. It's just they've got their own quotas that they have to meet. But the situation is so ridiculous. You've got manufacturers deliberately slowing down the sale of their own product in order to avoid a fine from a government that relies on the taxes from the sale of that very product to fund hospitals, schools. So everybody loses with this, including the government.
Speaker 1: Yea yeah.
Speaker 4: But the best part of it I going back to the Canberra point of the act point that you made there. I mean, I'd be setting up a dealership in Yats right now.
Speaker 1: Whoever thinks about.
Speaker 4: Yas of all places, but it's just over the border into New South Wales. I'd be putting up a car dealership there, Toyota dealership whatever, and selling petrol cars over there, so everyone from the ACT will just pop over the border and buy a car and drive straight back into the ACT. But the best part of all of this is that the government is trying to impose the mandate and the market is not doing the mandate. They're saying, look, if we can't sell X number of vehicles this year, then we'll simply sell them next year instead. And that's because the consumer won't buy the electric vehicles, so they're trying to mandate it, and even the mandate isn't.
Speaker 5: But then will it just work on a manufacturing level, because obviously, if as a manufacturer, you guys the dealerships aren't allowed to sell my petrol cars, I'll just stop making them, thereby forcing you all to do my bidding along the line. Tell you who doesn't seem to care about emissions at all is Premier Steven Miles. He's just been busted using a government jet for an eleven minute flight. Well, this must have been some sort of emergency type business, right, No, he went there to give a birthday cake to one of his MPs and announce some fence at a school of course his office didn't paint it in that light.
Speaker 1: His office said he was in the region.
Speaker 5: To quote, meet with then listen to Queenslanders across the state. These regions have unique opportunities and challenges that the Miles Labor government is working hard to address, including a shortfall in access to primary healthcare, said his poor beleagued spokeswoman, who must at this point just want to throw her job in because she knows come the polling day later this year, she's going to be out of a job.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: This is reminiscent of when the same premiere was busted in April this year taking two jets with his police commissioner and his Minister for Police spending. Again, Goodness knows how many thousands of taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's.
Speaker 5: Okay when they do it. You know, emissions don't don't matter as long as there's a politician on board.
Speaker 1: This guy's got form.
Speaker 5: And that, remember was just days after they'd passed their u butte new emissions reduction target to reduce emissions in the state by seventy five twenty thirty five and zero emissions by twenty fifty. So here they are.
Speaker 6: They just legislated this.
Speaker 1: It is now in law, ladies and.
Speaker 5: Gentlemen, And here he is catching flights like it's nobody's business.
Speaker 2: I love his spokesperson who went challenged about the costs and no, no, no, we.
Speaker 3: Already had the jet so it didn't cost any extra.
Speaker 1: But it runs on fresh air.
Speaker 7: How do they.
Speaker 3: Actually fly the thing?
Speaker 2: And then he goes to announce give the birthday cake right, and to announce the school fence if they win the election, because you know, budgets are tight. Well, if they hadn't used the fuel on that jet, they could have bought the school fence.
Speaker 4: I know, I'd look seriously to put it into context. It was a seventy four kilometer journey from a Harvey Bay to Bunderbook. Seventy four kilometers. Now that is the same distance as between Brisbane and Surfer's Paradise.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit over an hour on the road to drive there.
Speaker 4: But you've got to save that, you know, fifty sixty odd minutes so you can take an eleven minute flight. Now, look of all the things that Stephen Miles could be doing with his day, sure being on the road, there are probably better things he could be doing. But you know what, I would rather him be on the road for that extra hour because it gives him lifts less time to bugger up things in Queensland, because once he gets off the plane in Bunderberg, he's bought an extra hour to pass more legislation and come up with more looney ideas when he's on the.
Speaker 3: Ground Birthday without realizing it.
Speaker 2: If you're on the key point, the reason he wasn't on the road is because that road is crap. Because way to improve the Bruce Highway, So every mug in Queensland has to drive it, but not the premiere or he knows how bad.
Speaker 3: That road is, so he floats higher bow.
Speaker 5: Only the plans have to up or on the road. Only the plans have to pay energy prices through the roof.
Speaker 3: Only the plans have to.
Speaker 5: Brace for blackouts. How many times have we been told that with summer breathing down our next only US plans have to drink out of saga paper straws, while these guys just continue to jet around, spewing out emissions into the atmosphere and preaching to us about how doom is imminent as a matter of climate change.
Speaker 3: You will know this, Sorry, I didn't research this. It just occurred to me.
Speaker 2: Has Stephen Miles ever been in opposition, because this seems to be to be the behavior of a politician who's never been in opposition. He's only known the luxury of government. They've been government from.
Speaker 5: I think this is the behavior of a politician who knows that he's got time, like you know what, who cares at this point eleven minute jet flights to hand out his birthday.
Speaker 4: It's a bit like and you may remember, because you were probably in canber at the time, was it was it All Gillard who when they were deposed as Prime minister went down to the cellar in the lodge and had a massive party before they got chucked out, just like just went through all the wine because it was like, well, what the hell, like this is my last ten minutes in the job. I may amazed, well enjoy it while I'm there.
Speaker 1: Sounds like something right with and we'll.
Speaker 4: Never forget as well, when Tony Abbott was deposed as Prime Minister and Jamie Briggs got up on a marble table dancing and.
Speaker 1: Broken and then had.
Speaker 4: To be wheeled around in a wheelchair afterward, you may as well.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the trappings of the job on the way out.
Speaker 4: Stephen Marles certainly is, But isn't it amazing what you can do when you have other people's money. Let's go to the Paralympics, where for the first time, an openly transgender athlete has competed in the athletics.
Speaker 1: In the running, more.
Speaker 4: Specifically, this is a fifty year old male who now says he is a woman, goes by the name of Valentina Petrillo. Got to the semi finals in the four F one hundred meter running, came third and then got knocked out. But that's not really the point, because it doesn't matter whether a transgender woman actually wins the event. It's the fact that they are there in the first place, and good enough clearly to get through to the semi finals. Now you can imagine the outrage that has flowed from all of this. Sharon Davies, who's a British Olympic silver medal winning swimmer, said, so we ban Lance Armstrong for taking drugs which will give him a small but important advantage over his male rivals, because it's cheating. But we let fifty one year old male Valentina Patrillo have a huge advantage with no issue at all against female athletes. Why is this being allowed?
Speaker 1: JK. Rowling.
Speaker 4: Of course, the author of Harry Potter, in her usual common sense fashion, said why all the anger about the inspirational Patrillo. The cheap community has never had this kind of visibility out and proud cheats like Patrillo prove the era of cheat shaming is over.
Speaker 1: What a role model.
Speaker 4: I say, we give Lance Armstrong his medals back and move on. Hashtag cheats, hashtag no shame. And it was only a week and a half ago that Petrillo was talking about the fact that this is a momentous occasion. How good that I get to be the first transgender woman competing openly at the Paralympics. And by the way, there should be a lot more on me.
Speaker 6: Appreciated, You're respected with the ramento atropo Villamangors persad add in respect to.
Speaker 4: Petrillo qualifies for the Paralympics by being visually impaired, has part blindness apparently. But of course in that interview says, as we were talking about last night, my ID says, I am a woman, therefore I am a woman. And we talked last night about the fact that in Germany, you know, you can now no longer say that someone is a male, even though they are a biological male, because it says on their passport or their license or their birth certificate or whatever that they are female.
Speaker 1: And this is the position we end up in here.
Speaker 4: And you go back to the discussion, of course, around boxing in the main Olympics, where you had two competitors who had apparently previously tested positive for x Y chromosome, so it's believed they might be biological men, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I mean, it doesn't matter whether you're the worst.
Speaker 4: Athlete in the world or the best athlete in the world, if you are a biological male, you simply shouldn't be competing against biological women.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely But some people have jumped on the fact that Petrillo was knocked out in the semi finals, so see that proves there's not a great advantage.
Speaker 3: But they forget this person is fifty.
Speaker 2: Years old competing against young athletes who were like twenty two to twenty three years old. So Petrillo is an old woman competing against the young girls and still finishing very very well. I say old woman in italics.
Speaker 1: But here's my favorite jul story.
Speaker 2: Right, Petillo says this, says, this is a dream that I had since I was a little girl. But this person only transitioned in his mid forties to become a woman, So I'm not sure how it was a dream that he'd had since he was a little girl.
Speaker 3: And then the way he talks.
Speaker 2: He says that anybody who criticizes him, he describes him as quote unquote on the same level as Hitler, and then goes on to talk about how trans people are dying. And this is the manipulation, right, that if you disagree with me, then people are going to die, so you better not say anything because if you do, they'll be blood on your hands and you'll be as bad as Hitler. And if this was logical, if this was sensible, if this was scientific, you wouldn't need to resort to that kind of rhetorical manipulation and guilt tripping in order to make your argument.
Speaker 5: The raging narcissism it takes. Because let's all remind ourselves, we're talking about the Para Olympics this time, okay, So for anyone to make it to the Para Olympics. They have overcome obstacles the likes of which you and I cannot possibly imagine. I was watching an armless archer from India just today. The name is she Tel Debbie, and jaws hit the floor around the world as this incredible human being laced up this archery bow using her feet and shot a bullseye on the first go. That is the kind of inspiration, that is the kind of grit that is that it makes you tear up to watch some of these absolute legends who've had to apply themselves to a certain craft in a way that an able bodied person, no matter how hard we try, will never be able to reach those heights of the grit, the determination it takes to stick to something and get that good at it despite all obstacles. So you make it to the Para Olympics, this is your moment. You've trained year in, year out for it, You've overcome whatever your disability may be, and you've still got.
Speaker 1: To overcome this. You're not even given a fair.
Speaker 5: Goal because some raging narcissist is like, no, my dream of being recognized as the sex that I am not is more important than the blood, sweat and tears that you have pushed through and overcome to make it to this momentous occasion in your life. To me, this is more disgusting than the average ones that we talk about, where there's men on this women's team, women are getting her whatever the case may be. We talk about these cases often. This for me is the apex of that, because I'm like, are you kidding me? The para Olympians have to put up with this as well well.
Speaker 2: I remember the International Olympic Committee boss saying if only someone could come up with, you know, a scientific test to determine male from female, and so we awaked with baited breath for someone to work out having old chromosomes the difference. Of course, the media are having trouble telling the difference. An incredible story about a serial sex offender who's serving time in a New South Wales jail, yet he's being referred to in the media as a female after identifying as a woman while in prison. Dean Angus Bell, thirty one years old, was jailed for a range of child sex offenses, grooming a thirteen year old boy for sex abuse, use, offering a thirteen year old boy, cigarettes, drugs, and one hundred dollars for sex and then after being released from jail, continuing to contact that thirteen year old boy again pursuing sex. Now in prison, Dean Angus Bell is running a child abuse ring, distributing child abuse material to other inmates, so clearly an unsavory character. But Dean has now started identifying as Jessica. Jessica Isabelle Rose. He now goes by and incredibly, the Daily Male has reported this person as a woman. Reducts referred to the Daily Male article saying despite his lengthy record of sexually abusing children, Daily Mail Australia referred to Belle as a notorious female pedophile and as miss Rose in their recent report, even though five years ago and now deleted Daily Mail article about Bell referred.
Speaker 3: To him as a male. Now, there's a couple of problems with this.
Speaker 2: The first is that it's the job of the media to report what is happening, not to report propaganda and lies, and clearly Angus Dean rather is a man, not a woman. Second, doesn't this play into the hands of a prisoner who changes gender while behind bars, because we all know where this is going, right, at some point, it's a fair chance that dean will say I don't belong in the men's prison. I need to be in the women's prison, and you'll hold up a copy of the Daily Mail and say, look, I'm a woman.
Speaker 3: It's acknowledged everywhere.
Speaker 2: Third, isn't it the height of misogyny to blame women for not just any crimes, but these are the most horrific sex crimes.
Speaker 1: And Fourth, it's.
Speaker 2: Confusing for the public because when you realize, or when you read rather about a woman who's trying to solicit a thirteen year old boy for sex distributing sex material, you sort of scratch your head and don't you think that doesn't sound like a typical woman.
Speaker 3: That's not normal.
Speaker 2: It's sort of misconstrues crime statistics because all of a sudden you've got all these weird women committing sex crimes, which is not the norm. Normally, it's guys that do that, not women.
Speaker 4: It's true to a agree that we do frequently read about stories of female teachers who seem to be having illicit relationships.
Speaker 1: With male students.
Speaker 4: But the Daily Male has gone out of its way here to note the factor, not note the fact that this is a transgender person, like the only mention in the headline. As you said before, it literally says a notorious female pedophile in dubbed leader of the Pack, he is accused of running a child abusering from behind bars at men's jail. The only thing in the article that indicates that this is a transgender woman a biological man is the line quote Jessica Isabelle Rose, formally known as Dean Angus Bell. That's the only thing in the article that even suggests that this might be a trap.
Speaker 3: And join the dots for myself.
Speaker 1: Now, Now, look, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I've only been in journalism for nine odd years as a reporter and a chief of staff, and a columnist and a TV host, so what would I know. But the first thing I was told as a cadet, and then again when I became a court reporter, is the most interesting stuff goes at the top. Now, if you're reading an article about someone, you're pretty interested in the fact that they are transgender, because if you're looking at a photograph of someone who has a beard and they're called Jessica, you kind of want to know why Jessica has a beard. So the only reason that transgender is not mentioned in the story is because they are suppressing it and hiding it, and that is disgusting. When you are discussing reporting on anyone's crimes or alleged crimes, you give them as much detail as possible. They are deliberately leaving out the detail that is the opposite.
Speaker 2: Sojourneral just before we move on from that, as a reporter and a chief of staff, what's the motivation for a news organization do well?
Speaker 4: The only motivation possibly is that you don't want to get caught up in being accused of bigotry. But I will note that pretty much every other media organization that reported on this case, including the nine newspapers Sydney Morning Herald, which you tend to think of being left leaning, had in either the first paragraph or the second paragraph, that Dean now Jessica is transgender, because it's an obvious fact. It is a pertinent fact when you are reporting on such a story. The Daily Mail left it out, either because they don't want the reader to know that, or they feel that pointing that out.
Speaker 1: Would be mean.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, if you're talking about a convicted pedophile, come mean, you mean Peterphile.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want to hurt a pedophile's feelings. My goodness, I still stand by the death penalty for a convicted pedophiles through and through. This reminds me of that utterly outrageous case in Scotland of Isla Bryson, who transitions after.
Speaker 1: Raping two women.
Speaker 5: Being convicted of raping two women.
Speaker 1: Got to go to a woman's prison. He was later then sent to a male prison.
Speaker 5: But this brought attention to the fact that this prison, known as Corton Vail, actually had sixteen transgender prisoners at the time. So how many of these men aren't even punished properly because they decide at some very convenient time, oh I'm a woman now, sixteen of them got to go to a female only prison, because that's the important Scotland put on it, above and beyond women's safety. And this isn't the first time the crimes of a man have been pinned on my sex. And this is something that Harry Potter Rider yes JK. Rowling, has tweeted about at length.
Speaker 1: Because the fury it is for us to go, hang.
Speaker 5: On a minute, you can commit the most heinous crimes and then it said that a woman has done so, No thank you, absolutely not, and yet even in the headlines it was a female who had committed these crimes. Do me a favor to more transmadness to Ireland now, where a guy by the name of Enoch Burke has been imprisoned yet again.
Speaker 1: This is his third stint in.
Speaker 5: Jail and it's probably not the first time you've heard his name. It was back in August twenty two that he went to jail for the first time because he refused to call a student by their preferred name and preferred pronoun. This student wanted to transition, and Enoch Burke, being a teacher and being a man of faith, refuse to give into this idea of compelled speech, refuse to play his part in this person's transition. Being someone of faith, it's not something that he believes in.
Speaker 1: In well, after spending.
Speaker 5: Four hundred days in jail because he refused also to abide by the school's suspension, they said if you stay away, or if you stay and just use the pronouns, then all is well. Refused to do so, went to prison for four hundred days and in June of this year he was let out of prison and the school thought, well, it's going to be Okay, because it's school holidays, he's not going to try it on again. He's not going to rock up. But come August, school was back in session, and Enoch rocked up to do his job.
Speaker 1: He said, look, the.
Speaker 5: School's still paying me, and I am here to do my duty. But the cops were there to greet him, and this is what ensued.
Speaker 7: Surgery mutilation, Yes, mutilation mutilation. As he has chemicals, he has a right. I've right to be here.
Speaker 1: You're to tell students.
Speaker 7: You will need to tell.
Speaker 1: I love a man with conviction. This is his quote.
Speaker 5: He said, when I am commanded, when I am told that I can't have my religious beliefs anymore, When I'm told I have to confess believe in transgenderism instead of my simple belief which is male and female, that's just a breach simply of my rights. Well, said Enoch Burke. I know I'm backing you, and millions across the globe are too. This is such an important taste to see a man literally jailed for over four hundred days and now doing a third. We don't know how long this one will be simply because he refuses to buy into transgenderism. That's it, and he also refuses because they haven't fired him to stop doing his job. And the fact that a school would go this far, a government would go this far as to throw him in jail for the third time over this, it's absolutely hair raising.
Speaker 2: And the way he's being misrepresented on social media. I was reading so many comments where people say it said, he's not being imprisoned for refusing to support gender theory.
Speaker 3: He's being imprisoned for breaching.
Speaker 2: A court order, which technically is true, but it's kind of missing the point that there would be no court order if he simply did what he was told to do to support gender theory, call a child by a gender that they clearly are not, which is as he says in that arrest, to endorse surgical procedures, to endorse hormone treatment that is no, according.
Speaker 3: To a cholistry animation, that it is bad for young people.
Speaker 1: If I knew that all I had to do is.
Speaker 4: Was get years of pay and not have to do any work, was quote unquote misgender a child, I would have done.
Speaker 1: It a long time ago.
Speaker 4: And you know that I understand people having the thought, well, you know, he's not doing much to help himself because he keeps going back to the school.
Speaker 1: But the thing is he's in a no man's land.
Speaker 4: Here because, as you said, the school is refusing to sack him. They just suspend him and say don't show up, presumably because they're worried about what legal trouble this day could get into the school could get into if they sack him for it, So they put a suspension on top. Say well, you're not actually losing your job here, we're just asking you not to come to work because it might cause more grief for us if we go through with the sacking. Well, I would simply say to the school, you should have the courage of your convictions in the same way that he does. If you believe that he has breached his contract or he's breached his responsibilities as a teacher by refusing to call a child who says they are transitioning by what they say is their new gender and the new name, etc. Then sack him and let that case be run, because of course he'll go for unfair dismissal. But if the school truly believes that what he has done is wrong, why don't they have the courage to sack him. So you've got to feel sorry for him being in that position, because as far as he's concerned, he's still employed.
Speaker 1: As far as the school's concerned, he's still employed.
Speaker 2: But they won't go that step, and he's become a nightmare for the school because he's kept this issue on the front pages of papers. And I mean here we are in Australia talking about it as well. So what the school of losing on every front. They haven't shut him up, They're still paying money.
Speaker 3: It's still an issue.
Speaker 5: And importantly it's another one of those cases, just like the German podcast as we were talking about last night, who have been extortionately punished simply for misgendering a trans woman by referring to the fact that he is a biological male. This is another one of those instances where they hold up a scalp and they say, this is what will happen to you if you dare defy the new or orthodoxy. This is what will happen to you if you don't let your religious beliefs go by the wayside in favor of the new religion. And for so many across the Western world, this is never going to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we're talking about a lot of problems. But I'll tell you who's got problems, and that's Adelaide. There are so many problems in Adelaide. I know because I left the plan and has always fall the Adelaide Hills Council.
Speaker 3: They were going along quite nicely.
Speaker 2: They projected a budget surplus of five hundred and fifty nine thousand dollars. That's pretty good these days when governments are losing money any everywhere. Only two on Monday announce we actually got that wrong. Instead of a five hundred and fifty nine thousand dollars surplus, it's going to be a four point eight million dollar deficit. The acting mayor said it was a significant adjustment. Indeed, Melanie Sellwood is the acting mayor. In making the announcement, she said, clearly, this update as reported in our operating results is not councils. I love this for an understatement. It's not our preferred outcome. Yeah, I would have thought a five million dollar turnaround would not be the preferred outcome. Nonetheless, she said, council's long term financial plan remains viable. Well, how we meant to believe that, and we do not anticipate that our service delivery to residents will be affected on identifying these a discrepancy Caleber Council considered the matter and has reported it to the Order to General Council is awaiting a response. This is the same council that canceled all funding of Australia Day events and then canceled a public meeting to get feedback on what they should do with Australia Day. This is a council that was paying one hundred thousand dollars for a lawyer to sit beside the mayor at council meetings, but they should have pad one hundred grand for an accountant to sit beside the mayor at council meetings. This is the same council that said, look, we're not going to empty your bins on a weekly basis. We're going to empty your rubbish bins fortnightly, but we will empty organic waste every week because that's important. So they can manage all those things. They just can't manage their budget.
Speaker 1: I mean, for him, what do they need to go to the Order to General Ford and they don't.
Speaker 4: They employ people within the council whose job it is to look at numbers and look at budgets. What's the CEO doing what's all the directors doing? This is just bread and butter, normal stuff for a council to be able to do. If you can't balance the books, how are we to expect that you can do anything else.
Speaker 1: And it's not as small discriptancye as they say.
Speaker 4: To go from you know, five hundred five hundred grand in the black to more than four and a half million in the red. I mean, you don't just misplace five million dollars overnight, do you?
Speaker 3: You do if you're in Victoria, well, well that is that is true.
Speaker 4: Actually in Victoria you don't have five million dollars left to to misplace. But it reminds me of a story we talked about in the papers last week, which was on the front of the Canvra Times. And again, you know, it's amazing that these people can continue to do their jobs. I suspect no one at the Eddler Hills Council will be sacked for this major cock up. But in the public service it's exactly the same where bureaucrats who were overlooking the digital health record system said that don't worry, it's all going to be fine. We're all going to come in under budget, and then they found out that they were forty million dollars over budget. How does this stuff continually happen? If you were in any private business and you were responsible for the books and you walked into the CEO's office and said, small problem.
Speaker 1: You know, you know that five hundred grand surplus. Where were going to deliver?
Speaker 4: Well, I've managed to turn it into a four point six million dollar deficit. I mean, you couldn't get out of that room fast enough. But local government, federal government, state government, that's just part of the job.
Speaker 2: You know, we've been paying out on this Adelaide Council for calling this five million dollar turnaround and adjustment. But then you tell the story of the camera public service, forty million dollars the Adelaide Hills councilor well, it's just an adjustment.
Speaker 3: You're doing very well. We're going to go to a break when we come back.
Speaker 2: Labor being pushed to include dental in medicare, we'll talk about that in the moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't been bothered by climate protesters for a while, but they're on the front pages of tomorrow's papers.
Speaker 5: Liz, Yeah, they missed us, They missed the publicity port protests since ship a visit on the front page of the Newcastle Herald, New South Wales Premier Chris Mins has slammed climate activists' plans to blockade Newcastle Harbor in November, after a cruise ship operator canceled a visit to the city to avoid the upcoming protest. The article goes on to say that, well, the cruise ship canceled due to this planned ten day protest. It's being organized by activist group Rising Tide, which is seeking to stop call exports from the port by twenty thirty. Now, these guys have applied to New South Wales police to protest between November nineteen to twenty Good grief, that's almost ten days of solid protest.
Speaker 1: So why don't you just say no? Why don't you just say no?
Speaker 5: It's already costing us economically to have these guys even talking about having this protest. They've applied to have the protest. Why don't the police just say no, Well they order.
Speaker 2: To or let them have their protest, because you've got the right to protest, but you don't have the right to protest in an area where you're going to block movement where you're going to block a ship getting into dock.
Speaker 3: This is economic foundalistm some people from it will not be allowed. Although I don't feel sorry for.
Speaker 2: Governments, because governments keep banging on about climate change, global boiling, We've got to reduce emissions, there's a climate crisis, and then they get upset with protesters doing this, So you can't have it both ways. You've either got a climate crisis or you don't.
Speaker 4: So sure, sure, for sure, I just feel sorry for the people of Newcastle and the poor baggers missed out on all that track.
Speaker 1: Poor baggers are.
Speaker 4: On this boat expecting that they were going to pull into Newcastle and have the day trips and whatever I mean they call themselves rising tight. I wish the tide would actually rise and up to come in and just sweep them away.
Speaker 1: I mean, Armie, what happened to the water cannons?
Speaker 4: Get the bloody water cannons out and fire these people out into the port at Newcastle and let them swim back as.
Speaker 2: Far as This is a massive victory for groups like this, though, exactly because formerly you had a protest and that disrupted everything. Now they don't have to have the protest, and already it's causing disruptions.
Speaker 3: So that's how bad things have, it.
Speaker 4: Seems, the message that you can do whatever you want. And the more we have these cases and the more they get away with it, the more embolden they are. Let's go to the career at Mail tomorrow. We're truly shocking story. I'm sure you've heard about in the last couple of days. Pephiles three hundred and seven crimes, worst of the worst.
Speaker 1: Furious parents have packed.
Speaker 4: A court room to stare down one of Australia's worst pedophiles.
Speaker 1: Who pleaded guilty to more than three.
Speaker 4: Hundred child sex offenses committed inside Queensland childcare centers. May I say, I hope he rot in hell, and I'm sure that in jail, when the time comes, he will be dealt out a bit of prison justice. Another story on the well and they may will find a way to do that in jail. And now the story on the front of the courier Mail tomorrow, Despair of the Young. Nine out of ten Queensland young people are struggling with their mental health and more than half are totally burnt out, with social media contributing to the decline in well being. This has come out of research that was commissioned by Health and Wellbeing Queensland. Social media is one of the leading contributors to this slide for kids between the ages of fourteen and twenty five. There were fourteen hundred people surveyed and more than half said that they felt tired for no reason. And we were talking about this last week where we live in this ultra connected world now where there is no escape from it. You're expected to reply to everything all of the time. You are connected to everything all of the time. The bullying that kids experience in the schoolyard now goes home with them and continues online all of the time. I mean, if you are a parent at this point, I think the best thing you could do for your kid is to take the device away and give them a book and say, little Johnny, go and run out and kick the football or whatever.
Speaker 1: Don't go on Facebook, don't go into it it, don't go on whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Live your life as a child. You can deal with all of these things when you're an adult. Because it is so obvious that this is having an awful effect on children.
Speaker 2: You're speaking of physical activity that the survey also found thirty four percent of those surveyed said they were less physically active this year than they were last surprise. And then if you're feeling stressed, anxious, tired, less physical activity, then you're going to.
Speaker 3: Start to feel ill.
Speaker 2: And you've got all the health ramifications of that as well. So it's a compounding effect for young people.
Speaker 5: But every time I read one of these articles, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like, where are parents?
Speaker 5: Are you just mia right now? The kids are not Okay, this is your job. I remember as a kid, obviously we didn't have iPhones or anything like that, but we had computers, we had TV, and we had allotted screen time and it was like so exciting because you only got a certain amount every day, and under my mum's rule and rain it wasn't much. It was like an hour an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: If you'd been good.
Speaker 7: But it meant that.
Speaker 5: Kids really enjoyed that time playing their game or in this case, maybe sending a few messages to their friends, which you see all day at school.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 5: By the way, it's not like this mode of communication is necessary at that age.
Speaker 1: All your friends, you're seeing.
Speaker 5: Them every day, day in day out at school. Anyway. I just don't understand why parents aren't taking a firmer stand. And on the other end of that, kids aren't being taught about what a healthy lifestyle looks like, how important it is to get the sun on your skin, to go out side, touch grass, eat some fruit, have a sport, have something else like a musical instrument, or something to devote your time and attention to. It's a really sad state of affairs, as well as sleeping patterns, Like all the most simple things kids simply aren't tort Let's.
Speaker 3: Take their phones to bed and they lay in bed in the dark's doom, scrolling the.
Speaker 5: Worst things you can do blue light before bed like that actually does certain things to your brain. If we could teach kids about the simplest things, maybe in the absence of parents giving a rep they could look after themselves a little bit and find out why they're tired for no reason.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the front page of the Daily Telegraph Arrested Development Sydney councils taking two hundred days to approve DA's the slowest councils in Sydney for development application approvals have been revealed, with seven local government authorities across the city. Last financial year taking longer than two hundred days to approve development applications. I guess, Caleb, this is why you shouldn't give this sort of responsibility to people who are flat out filling potholes.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, look, for heaven's sake, they managed to turn five hundred thousand dollars surpluses into four point eight million dollar deficits. How could you possibly expect them to approve things on time? I mean the worst in New South Wales is the Georgi's River Council at two hundred and ninety eight days on average to approve small scale projects.
Speaker 1: How can it take two hundred and ninety eight days now? Now?
Speaker 4: Look again, you know in my days when I was a local government reporter and I was reporting on development stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: Generally, as I understand it, someone makes.
Speaker 4: Application, application, goes to council, Council receives application, Council then has to make decision. Now, either you are so backed up that it's like you've been eating dry food for seven months and you're so constipated you can't get it out that you wait two hundred and eighty nine days to be able to assess something, or you're just lazy, like it comes into the intray, look at it, deal with it, move on.
Speaker 1: How hard can it be?
Speaker 2: The disaster in this is that by the time the approval comes through, people's loans, people's finances, the cost of construction, it's all irrelevant and they're n't able to proceed even once the development is approved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is definitely on the staff though, because yes, having been a city councilor myself, the way it works is, yes, the applications come in, but it's the staff at the local government who have to do all the work. Then give the counselors that briefing. The counselors look at it and vote on yay or nay for the development, and you can choose through fifty yay or na's in one council sitting. So it's all the background work that goes on behind closed doors prior to that to give the counselors the briefings on which to make a decision. That is what is clearly taking up.
Speaker 2: So two hundred days to get a DA extension on your home, how long do you reckoned to take to get approval for a rainbow crossing on the street?
Speaker 1: Oh, about fifteen seconds?
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: That's that's the first order of business at council. That and turning surpluses into deficits. That's spread butter.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to a break stick around when we come back. Fake Lamborghini's being sold on Facebook. Why are you looking at Facebook to buy a Lamborghini? Cinema All right, now, if like me, you're in the market for a new car, you need to listen to Caleb because he'll help you to avoid purchasing a lemon.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, just open your eyes, I think is the moral of the story here.
Speaker 4: Some bloke called Bob was trying to sell a Lamborghini on Facebook marketplace. Now, as James said earlier, you know, if you're looking for a Lamborghini or Facebook marketplace, you might want to reassess how much money you actually have to buy a vehicle. This is what a Lamborghini looks like, right, This is this is a real yellow, lemon colored Lamborghini. This is what Bob was trying to sell on face book as a Lamborghini.
Speaker 1: It looks nothing like it. You know what it actually is.
Speaker 4: It is the last model of Manaro that rolled off the production line. And you can see there the inside of a Holden Monaro. I mean you can see the inside of this thing. We might have a photo of the inside of this particular vehicle.
Speaker 1: It has the same dashboard, the whole lot.
Speaker 4: Right, he's taken a kit He's taken what he is, a lovely car, the last Manaro ever made, and he's decided to kit it up to look kinder like a Lamborghini. That is a crime against a great Australian motor car.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I had a looked before.
Speaker 4: The last model of Manaro is currently selling for up to one hundred and ten rand online, so it's not as though you can't sell.
Speaker 1: Them for good money. Why would you do that to a good Australian car. They're not making any more of them.
Speaker 4: Holden is no more and he has just committed a sacrilegious act upon a great Australian vehicle.
Speaker 1: I am that is discussed.
Speaker 7: I just love it.
Speaker 3: When you asked you, so you bought a car, what'd you get? A Lamborghini?
Speaker 1: Kind of really work?
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris, she's been accused of flip flopping over the wall, flip flopping over fracking. Now she's been accused of flip flopping again, not on policy, but on her voice. If you think her policy positions are inauthentic, listen to her accent when speaking at a campaign rally in Detroit.
Speaker 7: You better thank a union member.
Speaker 5: One a five day work week. You better thank a union.
Speaker 7: Member for sickly.
Speaker 5: You better thank a union member for paid leave. You better thank a union member for vacation time.
Speaker 2: Okay, so excuse me, may capitalisten ha this is five hours later.
Speaker 3: Have a listen.
Speaker 5: Bank unions pacickly, bank unions for paid family leave.
Speaker 4: Thank unions for your vacation time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell you what.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris has got more accents than the United Nations.
Speaker 1: That's how do we go from US time to time time time.
Speaker 2: It's all about the audience scaleb That's it from US stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penney Show