Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadiical Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First Nations, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people joining us.
Speaker 2: Today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. Oh I leave from Benguelas and I'll ever tamed down your stream?
Speaker 3: Is that how I start on this episode today? Oh? I'm Britney Saunders and.
Speaker 4: I'm all right hey, and this is High Strollers, the podcast version of your favorite group chat.
Speaker 1: If it's trending, going viral or has he gripped? We're talking about it.
Speaker 2: This week. We're God bankrupt. We're talking, We're talking bankruptcy. Baby. Now we're talking about a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Australian Fashion Week, influencers, influencers at events, What would happen if everything we had crumbled overnight.
Speaker 1: I've also got a new Spotify playlist that everyone has to listen to because I've decided that this is my favorite.
Speaker 3: Genre of music. Well it's two genres put together and.
Speaker 4: I'll let you know I agree. Plus, Britney has a new TikTok challenge for me.
Speaker 2: That I gave a go on. I think I killed it.
Speaker 4: To be honest, it may be the most boring thing we've ever done on the podcast.
Speaker 2: You be the judge of that deal. Me and Deel, let's go.
Speaker 3: How are we feeling this morning, Matt?
Speaker 2: Are we really going for it? Are we?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We're in well, I'm feeling I'm feeling great. Actually, I'm in the vestment and I just I feel alive. I feel fabulous.
Speaker 3: Do we need to change our records to like.
Speaker 2: Four pm on a Tuesday? Yes, because Monday and I am on a Monday is no longer working for alright.
Speaker 1: Hat I would think after this long, like how long we've been doing this podcast. Busy fuck off, We're gonna get in a fight one day, you know how we say we've never had a fight in our friendship.
Speaker 2: If you're busy and my busy are different levels of busy. Does not mean I'm not busy.
Speaker 1: The only requirement for you is for you to be excited on a Monday morning, which I know it's Monday morning, Like we have picked like not the best time, but still it's a great way to start the week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great way to start the week. I will admit, but I mean last week was just rotting for me. The shows are done, the live shows were urge success. It was all fabulous. Loved it, but I obviously the national tour went on selling out around the country. Fabulous. But I also gave myself like a week of just like literal bed rest, and which.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of over the last year, haven't.
Speaker 4: I thank you Golstones and so I yeah, like my sleeping pattern's been off. I did nothing all weekend but like read books and I went up to the Central Coast and saw some family and had a birthday party.
Speaker 3: Get a bad o pub No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: We went to We went to tu Woum Bay for a one year old's birthday party though, which was fabulous. Yep.
Speaker 4: And I've always thought that, like, you know, birthday parties under the age of three not necessary.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed myself.
Speaker 4: It was more of like a catch up than a really you know, it wasn't really like a birthday bash. I was just happy to see my friends and make the trip up to the coast. But I've always been like a one year old birthday party, what's the point They're not going to remember it and we don't care.
Speaker 1: You know, we don't remember ours. But I think it's like more like the parents are excited that the baby has turned one kind of thing and depends on the kind of party, Like is it an excuse for the parents to all get pissed? Like does the party continue into the afternoon and evening? We not this one, because when I think back to my childhood, I swear like my only memories of my childhood was going to like birthday parties or like just barbecues at like mum and dad's friend's house and whatever. And we always thought it was for us, like when the moms and dads would all get together. But then as you get older, you learn it's because the parents want to get pissed. Yeah, right, Like it's not about us running around the yard like having a good time playing Charmed, It's about the parents wanting Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was that your game of choice?
Speaker 3: Yes, make potions in a bowl out of rocks and stuff?
Speaker 2: So camped. Yeah, I can't remember what I was playing as a child.
Speaker 3: Oh we will play high five and fight over who we were.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, fair well.
Speaker 1: On the weekend, I did something that I honestly never thought I would do again. Yeah, I went to this thing in the Huna Valley.
Speaker 3: Called Lovedale Long Lunch.
Speaker 1: It happens every year and it's like six wineries in the Huna Valley put on this day and it's kind of just like a festival with live music kind of thing and you either go to two or three wineries and it's a good day or whatever. It was fucking freezing and it was for my cousins Hens.
Speaker 3: And then that.
Speaker 1: Finished at like four and we went back to Newcastle and then we went to one bar and then we went to another bar, and then I went to fucking King Street Hotel.
Speaker 2: Which is sorry, roll the clip.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have but in me anymore to party into the night. Like I'm a kind of early Let's do a five o'clock dinner. We can get white girl wasted that early and then you can be in bed by midnight, and to me, that is a good night. Nothing good happens after midnight, to be fair. We went really early, like when it had just opened, so I think it was like before nine pm that we got there, which was nice sometime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like no one was really there.
Speaker 1: The dance floor was pretty clear that DJ's were playing good music, and I did leave at midnight as well, like it's you know, I said to you the other day, like I can't do the going out until four am thing anymore. But I went to King Street Hotel, which is like one of the I think it is the biggest night club in Newcastle. And I hate to admit it, but it was actually a good time. But I think it's because I was in good company, you know what I mean, Like, it's who you're with, and AJ wasn't there, so that's why I had so much fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, nice. Nice.
Speaker 1: He's sitting in the studio with us today, so we're going to see if we can segue AJ into the episode at any point.
Speaker 2: We might get anyone close friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I went.
Speaker 1: I went clubbing, and what was really embarrassing was the amount of people that I met out that would say to me, like so many girls saying, oh my god, I.
Speaker 5: Used to watch your YouTube videos when I was thirteen, and now they're like nineteen, and I'm like, I am thirty one and you're being like I used to.
Speaker 3: Watch you, and I'm like, I'm too fucking old to be here.
Speaker 4: You know what gets me was when someone goes like at my shows. I met a couple of people and they were like, you were our lives in year six.
Speaker 3: Yeah I'm going.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, I'm your grandma. Yeah he's going on here sick. Like, First of all, why are you watching me in year six? Your parents clearly neglected you if you were strolling my YouTube videos in year six? Second of all, are you even odd enough to be here?
Speaker 1: That's what I would say to these girls in the club, and I'm like, I should not be here. I even said to some of them, you are not seeing me here? Like this is fucking embarrassing.
Speaker 2: It's a mirage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So look, I I went back on my word.
Speaker 3: I went clubbing.
Speaker 1: I went through King Street of all places, but it was actually a good time and we just wanted to keep the Hen's party going, you know, like you don't want to call it a night when it's someone's Hens. You got to keep the vibes high. So that's what I did, and here we are.
Speaker 2: Have you been to a lot of Hen's parties, because I, like, I think I've only been to like maybe one or two, only one I can remember, And I'm just going to say two to keep it safe.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, maybe like five or so.
Speaker 4: My friend group is not a like marriage friend group. None of my friends are married.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like a lot of our friends are.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, but like I went to well, she's my step cousin, but I went to her hands and she's like twenty seven.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, to.
Speaker 1: Me, she's still twelve, So like, how are you getting married? Like I was saying that to him, like, how are you getting married? Like you're still twelve?
Speaker 2: To me? Was at my sister's hands when she got married years ago.
Speaker 3: Is sixteen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, actually she's getting drunk.
Speaker 2: Come going, put that down. Well, it's time for our royal flush of the week.
Speaker 4: The best thing we've seen on the Internet this week Brittany kickersoft Blurse.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Mine is actually a Spotify playlist that I have become obsessed with and am playing NonStop. And I put it on in the car this morning and AJ was like, what the.
Speaker 2: Fuck is this? Oh God, here we go.
Speaker 3: Can you guess what kind of If you had.
Speaker 4: To guess, I'm gonna guess classical music like Beethoven because the reason that came to mine is because when I was growing up.
Speaker 2: As himself in the corner.
Speaker 4: Because when I was growing up, my friend would pick me up for school and she would be playing Beethoven.
Speaker 1: Is that say that, by the way, because I've never known how to say that word. I don't know Beethoven bait Hoven.
Speaker 4: But anyway, the point is she would pick me up for school and Beethoven would be playing, and we would drive to school and I would always be like, what, babe, what is like?
Speaker 2: You're not quirky, You're not that girl? What reason?
Speaker 5: She's like?
Speaker 2: It just really calms me down and gets me in the mood for school. I'm like, do you have the plague?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is going is this the eighteen fifties? Like what is going on? Well, I'm like, what do you whan? It calms you down and gets you in the mood for what babe? We don't have history first period? So what's going on?
Speaker 4: So that's that's why that came, because that's the most obscure like music taste.
Speaker 2: I feel like there could be but am I way off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're way off.
Speaker 1: It's not Beethoven. I've never known how to say that word, so we could be butchering.
Speaker 2: That Okay, should I keep guessing or you're just going to tell me?
Speaker 3: If you had to have one more guest.
Speaker 1: Like the genre, I'd say like pop goes punk, yes, oh it is, yeah, sunny. So my favorite Spotify playlist at the moment is rock covers of popular songs, and I think, like, I'm just a pop girly, Like that's like, whenever I'm listening to music, I'll just put on a Top fifty or Ariana Grande Radio, Sabrina Carpenter Radio. But this is my favorite genre of music because it's all of our favorite songs. It's like, yeah, Ariana Grande, your Taylor Swift, like every single popular song, but it's like rock. Some of them are a bit too screamer and I have to skip them.
Speaker 3: Like work me up. But otherwise great playlist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a pop ghoes punk girly as well.
Speaker 3: I would highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: I discovered it in like two thousand and nine at high school and it became my entire personality. That's the one that's what actually got me into my emo phase.
Speaker 1: Well, when I was in year eight or nine and I did music, we had to do a project on our favorite band and I did a full project on Evanescence.
Speaker 4: I'm upset you're That's one of the most unhinged things about you is like Brittany is like the biggest Evanescence fan ever ever, and like she doesn't really like like you know me, I'm like, Letty Gaga is my hero, you know, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Like is my hero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like evan Essence is.
Speaker 4: Brittany's like weird guilty pleasure that she like loves And before Taylor Swift, they were like the only concet you'd ever been to.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's just so unhinged. But no, wonder you wear those shoes. That makes sense?
Speaker 3: Now fuck off you said you like them?
Speaker 2: I do like them?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, anyway, everyone look up that playlist. It's really good, some of me.
Speaker 2: So, what's the name of it? Sorry?
Speaker 3: It's literally rock covers of popular songs, sere you go.
Speaker 1: It's seven hours and twenty two minutes, and it's like all of our favorite songs but made like rock and metal and punk, and I really love it.
Speaker 3: That gets me in the mood for life. Yeah not classical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm with you on that. That's a good role flush I can you approve? Agree? I approve, well my royal flush of the week.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I saw you went viral on TikTok. You how many views is that video right now?
Speaker 2: Two and a half million or something?
Speaker 4: Not much, But you know what's funny though, is like two and a half million views two years ago, I was like, I'm famous, I am killing it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But now that two point five.
Speaker 4: Million views are go this bitches out here again one hundred million for look at themselves in the mirror. So that's the worst thing as a content creator seeing someone just set up their phone and just lip sync for six seconds and it having like seven million likes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you need to start doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure in a crop top and gym shots. Yeah, that was right out. Well I'll go viral, will go viral for the wrong reasons, babe, for the wrong reasons.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I made a TikTok because I saw my royal flush. The week is probably the fact that Sabrina Carpenter, obviously you've already heard a couple of weeks ago. I love the song espressso and I haven't stopped playing it still to this day. And she obviously is getting her coin at the moment, doing SNL, doing all the things Coachella.
Speaker 2: Really, I feel changed the trajectory of her career.
Speaker 1: I like her Ears Tour started it, and then Coachella like skyrocketed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know what's so devastating is like at the Eras tour, I didn't really care for Sabrina Carpenter, and I that's one of my biggest regrets in life, because my friends loved her, Like Kate wanted to see her. My friend actually wanted to see her, but I was like, it's we were sitting where the sun was like blaring and it was so hot.
Speaker 2: I was like, I can't sit in the sun. One don't want to get burnt, and two I'm in address and heels like it's a bit much. And then of course at our show that we went to, she didn't play because it got rained out, And so I kind of regret not just sitting through it and watching her because now I love her well.
Speaker 1: I feel like she will go on her own world too. I reckon in the next year or two, I should see it happening, surely.
Speaker 4: But anyway, she released a new EP because of the successive Espresso, and she called it the Espresso EP and basically I made a video about this. But it's an EP with one, two, three, four, five, six songs and they're all they're all Espresso. They're all Espresso, but different versions and it's really fun. So obviously she's just got the regular Espresso. Then she's got the Espresso Double Shot version, which is the sped up version, as if you've had double shot of coffee genius, We're already off to a great start. Then she's got the Espressio Espresso. She's got the Espresso on Vacation version, because the lyrics are on vacation it's karaoke.
Speaker 2: There's no lyrics, so it's just the backing.
Speaker 3: Track and you sing along to it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: You didn't want to, like have a go.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine, I think after the last time we sung on this fucking podcast and I loved it. Oh yeah, maybe they were sucking up your ass, but not to me.
Speaker 4: I was hardened. Comments on the videos they were going, don't ever do that again. That one guy was real angry about it, shout out love you, But like one guy, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, do not ever do that again. That is the worst thing I've ever heard on a podcast.
Speaker 3: Ever, it was hilarious. Fuck off to that guy.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll let you be, I'll let you say that. I said from the start, this isn't working. This isn't working. But anyway, got forced into it as usual being here at ten OClO.
Speaker 1: That video that we did of us doing the karaoke, those original creators that started that, you know, like my Royal Flush was those people.
Speaker 3: They commented on it.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, so.
Speaker 3: They saw it. So there's another Royal Flush back to the ep sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then she's got the Espresso decaf version, which is slow, slow version, more reverb obviously decaf.
Speaker 2: You don't have any caffeine, so it's a slow version. I think that's genius. Then she's got the mo cappella version, which is just a cappella just the lyrics on, just the vocal only. Sorry.
Speaker 4: Then she's got the Espresso version, which is a very an extended mix of espresso. And I posted a video about this like as soon as it dropped, not even thinking anything of it, and it really took off straight away and so many people. What I love about TikTok is that like, yes, the videos are good, but the comments are better, And like on my video. People were then coming up with ideas for her. You know, she should release a club mix of the song and call it Espresso Martini.
Speaker 2: Yes. I think they had so many cool ideas, and that's what I kind of like. I mean, there's lots of things I don't like about TikTok, especially at the moment I feel like.
Speaker 4: My you know, you have your comment filters, yeah, and your comment section. So TikTok does this really weird thing for anyone who doesn't know, not weird thing. It's actually a good thing. But they do this thing where like it kind of senses if your profile has been leaving hate comments on other profiles, and also can just tell from the wording of your comment, it like.
Speaker 3: Flags it as a offensive comment, right, and then it puts.
Speaker 2: It in this folder way in the depths of our settings on TikTok, Like you've really got to search for it to get to it.
Speaker 3: I just don't go in there.
Speaker 2: Oh see. I mentally prepare for it, and then I just go through them all. Why And I don't know, because sometimes there's some actual nice comments in there that just kind of get.
Speaker 3: It's like they get marketers spam pretty much.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you can watch TikTok's offline no how life hack. You go into settings, so it's great if you're going on a flight. So I was flying to Melbourne the other week. You go into your settings and then you go down and you'll find a thing that's called offline Videos and it lets you download one hundred and twenty minutes of video content. So you just click that it'll download them all. Then when you're on the plane and you've got your phone on airplane mode, you can watch those one hundred and twenty minutes of videos that you've downloaded. And that's awesome, especially if you're just flying to Melbourne or to Brisbane or whatever, because you'll spend the entire flight watching tiktoks.
Speaker 3: And when I did that the other week, it.
Speaker 1: Made me realize how much we actually watch TikTok for the comments. Because you're in aeroplane mode, you can't load the comments. So I'd be watching a TikTok and then I hit comments, but then it's like cannot load or whatever. And it also made me realize how much we don't actually watch the whole TikTok because I knew I had these one hundred and twenty tiktoks, and as you're watching them down the bottom, it tells you how many of the two hundred however many tiktoks it is, so I was like, they're consciously making sure.
Speaker 3: I try and watch the whole thing. But I did you want them to run out? Because you only get given those certain amount of videos, but God.
Speaker 2: Forbid, you just get given ten twelve to ten minute videos.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well they're all different lengths, luckily, but it made me realize, like there's a life hack for you all download tiktoks when you're going on a flight, but it's not as fun when you can't read the comments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people have started getting angry because they comment being like, why are you deleting comments?
Speaker 2: But I'm not. It just goes into that thing. This girl commented the other day and was like, why you deleting comments? I've screenshotted all my comments and everyone knows now that you are deleting comments.
Speaker 4: I'm not deleting comments, babe. You're just a spam account in TikTok's heart. It's embarrassing, and all your comments are in my like comment section to approve anyway. I don't know why I decided to share that with you. I thought it was interesting, but as I said it, I went, fuck, this is fucking boring.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Well, you know how much I love a physical challenge for us to do. We're not physical because we're going to stay seated, but you know, I like my face dropped when you said physical challenge. I went, sorry, we're going in, big brother. I saw this TikTok and I've seen it ages ago. I think it's like circling back around again and it's essentially eight different little sayings and you essentially have to try and say these phrases without coming across like sarcastic.
Speaker 3: Or like a bitch. So I thought we could do that today. So, Matt, I've just sent you the list.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm an actress, so I think I'll be really good at this.
Speaker 3: All right, you start, you do them all, you do all eight, and then I'll have a go and.
Speaker 4: One of those people that was well, like my friends always go like, I'll genuinely laugh at what they've said, and then they'll go that was the bitchiest laugh ever. And I'm like, that was a genuine laugh and they're like that was so fake. So I'm like scared that these I'm not going to be good at these, but you know I have to be good at everything, so I'll try my harder again with it.
Speaker 3: You've got eight sayings. Let's you say the more?
Speaker 2: Should I say all the sayings first? So these are the sayings that I have to say.
Speaker 4: That's great, good for you, have fun, fascinating, Thanks for that, good luck with that sounds thrilling.
Speaker 2: That's a shame.
Speaker 3: So let's start with number one. Okay, you have to be since here. Yeah, I got to be sincere.
Speaker 4: So you've just told me the most exciting thing ever. I'll be like, can I add words before?
Speaker 3: You got to say that?
Speaker 2: Okay, because I you know I would put it anyway. Here we go. Okay, that's great. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, let me try that's great. Yeah, that was good as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll give you a tick for that one. This one. Number two? Good for you?
Speaker 3: Oh, that was, do it again?
Speaker 2: So I'd never say that though, like I never say good for you, say it again? Good for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon that was. I'd allow it to pass. Okay, let me try for that. Good for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there's a very hard challenge. You were doing well with people on.
Speaker 3: TikTok are being sucking at this and they sound like so rude.
Speaker 2: Really, okay, maybe we're just genuinely nice people.
Speaker 1: Yeah we are.
Speaker 2: Next one is have fun.
Speaker 4: Okay, So how would I say this if you if you were see this is how I genuinely say this. But I reckon you will find it as sarcastic.
Speaker 2: I'd go have fun. Like on the phone, if someone was like, anyway, I gotta goh, blah blah, I'd be like, have fun. Yeah, that's fine, I'm slaying this challenge.
Speaker 3: Okay, my turn. I felt I'm just gonna say it exactly the same way as you though.
Speaker 2: We have fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, let me have a look at fascinating. It is probably a harder one to do. Again, I'd never say that. So how would I say it fascinating?
Speaker 5: That it was.
Speaker 3: Fascinating?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon, you have to go up fascinating. You were just crushing whoever's dreams. You were just saying that crumbling ox.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that. That's an easy one, I say. I feel like I say that all the time. Thanks for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, for the for the last three let's don't know, don't talk about it before, just say it.
Speaker 2: Good luck with that. Well that was bitchy. Good luck with that sounds thrilling.
Speaker 3: Sounds thrilling.
Speaker 2: That's a shame.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a shame.
Speaker 2: No, you put an all before it.
Speaker 4: You told me at the start on number one that I wasn't allowed to put anything before it, and now you're throwing in consonants and veils.
Speaker 3: That's a shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that was buci.
Speaker 3: Well, I just think we're too good at that. Yeah, we're too nice.
Speaker 4: That's the challenges of you're seeing because that one was kind of a fail. Well, if you had to rate me out of ten for that, what would you give me. I'll give you an eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same Yeah, room for improvement, but slade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what, there's always room for improvement, you know what. I one time someone told me a McDonald's one of my managers, because I was just so good. They had nothing to do, they had nothing to say, like, no critiques. They were just they just always had to say to me, like everyone else would get there, you know, not reports, but they'd be like, oh, these are all the things you can improve on with me, they'd just be like, well, you know, you can always be faster at things. Everyone can be faster, you know what I mean, And you can always be better. I was like, great, so there's nothing to improve on shore.
Speaker 3: That just made me think as well, you know, when you're in school and you would do your like the teacher.
Speaker 1: Parent thing and like when you get your report back, like I don't know if it I don't think it was just me.
Speaker 3: I think it was most kids. Why did teachers just always right needs to talk less? Like why is that the go to? Did you have that written on all your things from your teachers?
Speaker 2: Of course, but I think everyone did.
Speaker 3: Why do they write that for everyone?
Speaker 4: Surely they've got to, like, you know, the report system is just like click what applies and then it forms the paragraph for you.
Speaker 3: Surely they're using chat GPT for that shit now, Yeah, teachers, let us know.
Speaker 2: But also I saw this one thing on TikTok once that was like if you were told that you talk too much in class, what do you do now?
Speaker 3: You want to be successful?
Speaker 2: Get paid to do a podcast? So thanks for letting me talk back on that.
Speaker 3: All our teachers. That needs to stop talking and distracting classmates, look.
Speaker 2: At us exactly, speak on it, sister.
Speaker 4: Well, a couple of weeks ago Australian Fashion Week was happening, and you know, like most things, it takes a little while for people's opinions and things to hit the internet. Sometimes it's instant, but like with Australian Fashion Week, it's actually kind of like it was a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Is it over now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it done? I think it's I think was it like last week? Well, I think it's only one week, right, yeah, And a lot of people have a lot of opinions on Australian influences at fashion Week, and so I thought today we could first of all discuss what's been said online, what's been happening, and then second of all talk about our own fashion week experiences, because have you ever been to Fashion Week?
Speaker 3: I feel like I went once, but like I don't think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I went once and saw one show, but this was back when I was in my more YouTube days, and like I didn't even really understand what was going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, a really long time ago.
Speaker 2: Still donember before this, before it.
Speaker 3: Was really like an influencer thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So I only went when it was Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's when I went as well, Okay, and I just went and saw one runway show and that was it. But it was before, like I mean, people had probably always gone to get their content and whatever. This was before like TikTok was a thing or anything, so I don't really remember, and it definitely wasn't like the way it is now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I had this really cool video idea which I would still love to do at some point, although I'm telling it on a podcast now so it may not work as well. But when I was invited to that fashion week I went to, I did a video which never saw the light of day. I never ended up editing it and putting it up because it was around the same time that I stopped doing YouTube and stuff like that. Anyway, the video was wearing an entire outfit from Kmart to fashion week and seeing if anyone could clock it. And so I went to Kmart and literally spent like forty dollars on a head to toe outfit. The jacket, the shirt, the shorts, the everything was, even the shoes were It was all forty dollars, all up and wore that where everyone else is wearing designer clothing and dressed to the absolute nines. And my whole thing was, can anyone tell? Is anyone gonna say anything about it? And I'm gonna ask people and be like, how much do you think my outfit is worth? I made the whole video, I'd never posted it. Why, oh, just because it was just one of those things.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I was depressed at the time, dog like it was hard, so so I the video never saw the light of day. But I then never went back to fashion Week either. So the only time I've been Fashion Week, I've worn a forty dollar came outfit.
Speaker 1: And there has been a lot of discourse online about that, in particular from this fashion week.
Speaker 3: Yes of influences in particular.
Speaker 1: Going to fashion Week and then you which, by the way, like I didn't even know that it was coming up, like it's I'm in fashion and I'm so out of the fucking loop, Like I don't understand how fashion week works or anything like that. So I feel like it was an missed opportunity for me as a brand owner, because I'll tell you what I should have done and what I think I should do next year is go there and interview people, but ask them questions about sizing in Australia because a lot of those brands that walk in those shows they only go to like a size what twelve fourteen, So I feel like to stir some controversy, I should do that next year for sure.
Speaker 2: Anyway, get me on the ground for the day.
Speaker 3: Let's go me and you.
Speaker 2: For sure, I would love to.
Speaker 1: Us interviews the brand owners asking why is there not enough diversity in fashion Week? So people have had a lot to say online since Fashion Week has come out. It now has really turned into more of an influencer thing. But I get it, like the influencers are going to get the exposure, which is what the brands want. But there's also been a lot of people saying that they're disappointed to see the lack of diversity in everyone being interviewed. It's like these PR companies and media companies go there and they interview people with their mini mic out the front, but it always seems to be the same type of influencer that they're interviewing, like someone who is really.
Speaker 3: Straight, sized and white.
Speaker 1: Yes, and people are like unders understandably pissed off about that. And then the other thing that I've seen a lot of is people talking about influencers going there and just missing the mark when it comes to being able to promote the Australian designers and instead they're wearing glasses and Levisa jewelry and all that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff. That's what I've mainly been seeing online.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 4: I also saw one of those videos of the mini mark videos, if that's what you want to call them of. Like, I forget which publication, but somebody was asking influencers do they do fast fashion? And the first thing I noticed as well is like they only asked women, was that where are the men? Let's ask the men these questions stelling? And also just because the men are wearing boring outfits, no, let's actually put them in the videos so that we can compare. Because the thing is, I feel like it's I always to women, right, But my thing is, if you've got nothing to compare it to, it's shit, right. Like so if the girl is wearing glassones, I don't know who, but whatever, say she's wearing all glassons, but then she's up against the other females who are wearing other things obviously everyone's gonna go, oh, the glassons chuck. A couple men in there wearing fucking whatever they're cash Tara, cash wy D whatever, Like do you know what I mean? Then maybe the focus won't be on the glasses. Maybe it'll be on the men wearing whatever they're wearing.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Because I saw some ridiculous men's outfits as well, But like all these videos were focusing on the.
Speaker 3: Wa hitting women against women, right, And what.
Speaker 4: Pissed me off about the fast fashion thing is like it's like, no one wins with a conversation like that, Like the sizing thing. There's ways to win with that, yes, but no one wins with asking people do you support fast fashion and handing them the mic and then having them say this awkward thing. Like one girl was like, no, I don't support fast fashion at all. The other girl was like, I do to an extent because you know, cost of living and blah blah blah. And then the third girl was like, yes, I shot fast fashion because I am past size and there's no other options for us, Like do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like one right, yeah, right? That just like causes a commotion in the comments, and like, what's the result of you making that video? Like you got paid to go and do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the only reason they do it, Whereas I have.
Speaker 4: A meaningful conversation. So a lot of the content pissed me off. Actually, I was just like, this is why are we talking about the fashion Let's talk about the content coming from it.
Speaker 2: Black cluster baby, and this is what pissed me off. Get me down there.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get the best fucking Fashion Week video you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 1: Can do it next year, like my fleet, Like I've never been part of this as a brand or whatever. Like I think to be a brand in Fashion Week you literally have to like pitch yourself to them and then pay a lot of money to be in it. So it's not this thing where like brand Like maybe brands are invited. But I remember years ago, in like twenty twenty, we got invited to be in Miami Swim Week for Staple Swim. And this was when Staple Swim was like one year old and I was so young, and it was going to cost like twenty thousand dollars just to be in the show. So I think it would be the same sort of setup for Australian Fashion Week, like you would be paying tens of thousands of dollars to be in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah fuck, maybe I should, which like the exposure would be grey.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also is anyone talking about the designers?
Speaker 3: I think only people in the industry are because.
Speaker 2: Who does that help? What do you mean? Who does that help?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 4: Like, if Fate was to do a runway show and people in the industry are talking about Fate, that's all good and well, But like, instead the biggest brand to be spoken about that fashion Week is Glassons.
Speaker 2: They weren't even.
Speaker 3: There, I know, and they know they're the ones that have won essentially.
Speaker 1: But like I think the reason why fashion week started, like it's obviously changed a lot over the years and now it's all about the influencers and the content and the outfit. But what it is about to begin with is the Australian designers showing their unreleased collections for spring and summer that are yet to be released. And usually who used to go back in the day was people in media, people in magazines, publications and also buyers for companies and also stylists for companies so they could go look at the runway, see what's coming out, and then like pick things that they're going to use for upcoming shoots.
Speaker 3: And stuff like.
Speaker 1: That's what the whole premise of it was, but now it's turned into something completely different. So it's almost like I don't think it would be worth it for me to pay to have Fate walk in there, like we bloody should, and maybe we will one year. Never say never, but I think what would be more worth it would be to go there and get content, not even like on the runway, but like outside interviewing those people, but doing interviews in the right way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, And there's always like fun questions you can ask that aren't going to change the world. But I think I was just saying earlier that, like that that one about fast Fashion, I was like, who what is this doing?
Speaker 3: So next year we'll go Matt and interview people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although I will say, you know, like everyone says influences insufferable at events and stuff like that, I have never really felt that way, to be honest, Like if I just go to random events and stuff like that, there's this like kind of social.
Speaker 2: Understanding or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the word is for that, but a lot of people think that like these influencer events are just like all like mean girls and everyone's trying to be better than one another and blah blahlah blah. I will say like, I never feel that way at influencer events, especially not in the last like five years. I feel like everyone kind of gets along and everyone just stays in their own lane and whatever.
Speaker 1: I think that's just the way it comes across on social media, right. I think it's people portraying it right to be that way. But I also heard as well. I don't know if it was the Beck and Bridge Show or something or another show, but did you hear like there was two influencers that apparently walked into the show, got a photo like inside, and then said let's go yeah or the show even started, which.
Speaker 2: I'm like, where's the proof.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I think people just make shit up about influencers because they know it'll get a bit of traction online. I'm like, not saying that didn't happen, Potentially it did. Also, who cares, Like if their job, like you said, the stylists and the blah blah blah, well, their job is to sit there and see what to put in their collection. The influencer's job is to get their photos, promote the brand, and go. If they've done their job, why are they sitting there. They're not getting paid probably to be there, so they've done their job.
Speaker 2: Oh, way they go.
Speaker 4: If it was a stylist, no one would care. Now, if a stylist was sitting in the front round and said I need to go and get some lunch, no one would black bat an eyelid. But because it's an influencer, oh big issue. But what I will say, though, is because this is about to contradict myself, what I will say is I was saying influencer events, I don't feel that way. Fashion Week's a different fucking story. Fashion Week everyone is insufferable. Everyone is insufferable. I can't even because now that when we were talking, I also realized that the Mercedes Men's Fashion Week that I went to with the KM up thing that did happen. But I did go to a carriage works one as well, because the other one was at Luna Park, Right, I did go to a carriage works one as well, and I just thought everyone here has such a heightened sense of importance, and I got it.
Speaker 3: It is it giving a bit like hunger games. It's giving a bit hunger games.
Speaker 1: Vibe likes the best of the best, seeing who's the best dress, Everyone's standing around everyone trying to get a photo. Like the whole I don't know, the social aspect of it does give off hunger games.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: We'll go so well, we'll come up with a plan yep, and we'll smash it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: What could we ask all the influencers something real basic like what would happen if you didn't do influencing as a job and see what they come.
Speaker 3: Up with a good question to actually ask influences on the spot. Yeah, what would you do?
Speaker 2: Matt?
Speaker 1: Like just say hypothetically because I always think about this hypothetically. This afternoon, you go home, your Instagram is deleted. Instagram has been deleted. Let's say social media has a downfall. You cannot start a new account like TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, the whole lot.
Speaker 3: It's gone. What are you genuinely doing and this happens this afternoon?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to work out what's going on for starters.
Speaker 3: Well, social media has just been banned, so it's gone.
Speaker 2: Yep, the government's gone.
Speaker 1: We can't even Yeah, we can't even like start a new business for example, to say, if I lost fate and everything I got, oh just start another one, like start from scratch again.
Speaker 3: We're not allowed to do that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, going back to my old life, have been a DJ, put on a bit of makeup, be a drag queen again, and do.
Speaker 2: You think the comedy shows do you reckon?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: The funny thing that I always think as a business owner is like, my business couldn't exist without social media now, And I often think back to before social media and the fact that businesses existed and how the fuck did they Like they would have had to have relied on newspaper and word of mouth to have their businesses. So like to say, if you like, if social media disappeared and then you were to go back to being a DJ and doing drag, do you think those careers could be as successful today without social media?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure, that's but it's totally different because yeah, I just message all the old clubs that I used to DJ out and be like, hey babe, need some geeks, and away we go and then drag.
Speaker 1: If anything, maybe those careers in particular and venues and stuff like that would be more busy if social media didn't exist, because people would not be just at home on their.
Speaker 4: Phones probably, And then what else did I say, comedy shows? Well, that's easy, just going to like local comedy bars.
Speaker 1: I reckon that would be good for the comedy and entertainment industry if social media didn't exist, because we wouldn't be watching shit at home.
Speaker 3: We'd want to go out and have a laugh.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when the only time that we ever got to see funny videos was like the one night a week that funny home videos was on. Oh my god, that was TikTok before TikTok was a thing, and that was the only chance that we got to see funny videos.
Speaker 2: And did you ever send any funny videos in no?
Speaker 5: Did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We did.
Speaker 4: They never got on TV. But remember they'd say five hundred dollars, They give you five hundred dollars if.
Speaker 2: They aired your video.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, well, we're making fake funny videos because I'm a cash graber from wayback, and I was sending in the funniest time.
Speaker 3: You're on the top of the inflatable pool at bat obey.
Speaker 2: No, but this is when I was like a literal child with the home V What did you call V no? No vcr no?
Speaker 3: What do you aj?
Speaker 2: The old little handheld video recorders? And yeah, you'd have to put it on a tape like a video tape and put it in a parcel bag and ship it to Crow's Nest. Channel nine and.
Speaker 1: Everything crows nest, like you know when you watch everything and it's like, do you want to send a video to your favorite neighbors? Cart send it a po box crows nest? Like why Crow's nest?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 1: And why do I always picture like actual nests with crows when I think of that place.
Speaker 2: If you asked me to locate Crow's Nest on a map, I could not do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know where it is.
Speaker 1: Really, it's like you take the hornsby exit and then you go towards Sydney and then it's like left, like towards.
Speaker 3: The northern beaches kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I just picture like trees and crows nests, Like why is it called that?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 4: But that is so funny that everywhere his Crow's nest as a kid, Wow, yeah, So what would you do if everything went buster, and I'll give you your scenario. Social media's gone obviously the same as me, which sits hard though, because your business would still kind of go for a little bit. I'm saying, something needs to happen where all your businesses have shut down. Bankruptcy, baby, Yes, I would have to do.
Speaker 1: Clear, I would have to declare bankruptcy, which would not be fun. And then I reckon, you know what I reckon, I'll do. I would say, AJ, go back to being an electrician and you are paying for both of our lives and I'm staying home.
Speaker 3: Really fuck it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah I could. That's fair.
Speaker 3: I think the skills that I have learned, that's fair.
Speaker 1: Like he would have to support us bies because I've been my own boss now for so many years, Like, I don't think I could ever go back to having someone else telling me what to do. But in saying that as well, and I often say to AJ, I think, with everything that I have done in my business and career now, i feel like I'm overqualified to do any job in my kind of field.
Speaker 3: And I said, like, could I then go and become the CEO of another company? Like because I am?
Speaker 1: But then I'm like, I wouldn't know how to do that because I only know how to be the CEO of Fate. So I could go work for some other business or something. But I'm not fucking starting at the bottom, let me tell you. But I think I would just say, fuck it, I'm going to be a lady of leisure. AJ go back to be an electrician. Pick up the tool bag.
Speaker 3: You're going back to climbing under houses and pulling cables. And I'm just going to sit at home and like clean the house and be bankrupt.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Can you not travel when you're bankrupt or something?
Speaker 2: Now you can only travel for work, So there's a loophole.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so you can't. You can't leave the country if you're bankrupt, you can't. But if it's for work purposes, you can.
Speaker 3: But it's only for a certain amount of time.
Speaker 2: I think like seven years.
Speaker 3: Seven years. Have you looked up looked into this mat Yeah?
Speaker 4: Baby, not because I needed to be bankrupt, But there's just you know, some people who have gone bankrupt and I'm like, wonder what that means.
Speaker 3: But if you declare bankruptcy, I don't know anything about this.
Speaker 1: Just say you've got like hundreds of thousands of dollars a debt, like you owe money and whatever. If you declare bankruptcy, is it just all wiped like as easy as that, or do you have to pay it back or how the fuck does that work?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it's all wiped. You've said I cannot afford to do this, and they've gone, okay, we'll clear all of that.
Speaker 4: And but what is where does that money go that you know nowhere that other people lose there in Like if someone invests in you one hundred thousand dollars and then you go bankrupt, they lose the one hundred thousand dollars, that's it, and you are cleared of paying back that hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Depends who you've got investment by, you might end up dead dull.
Speaker 4: But like you know, they don't get their money back like you, I've got no investors and so then but then they punish you by seven years of you can't travel, you can't.
Speaker 1: Get you can't have a But I think that's when people do sneaky shit and like set up businesses in other people's.
Speaker 3: Names and trusts and all this kind of stuff. Probably, well, I'm safe either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I don't actually bankrupt, like that's actually crazy.
Speaker 1: I think it's actually more common than we think, right, I've seen a few tiktoks pop up of people even around our age, that have made like the thing is like it's so easy to financially fuck yourself up, like you're just a few decisions away in life from being in that position.
Speaker 3: And I've seen a few.
Speaker 1: I should have saved them, but I've seen a few, like Australian people post to TikTok talking about how they had to declare bankruptcy and they're just normal everyday people, probably around the same age as us, and I guess they're spreading awareness to talk about how there is this like stigma around going bankrupt, but it is more common than you think, like people that have just got one too many credit cards or something like that.
Speaker 3: I think it's more common than you think, but it would be scary, which.
Speaker 2: Like I get it, but I'm also like open discussion here, not trying to victim blame, but I'm like, is there really nothing else you could have done but go bankrupt? Do you know what I mean? I know that's shit.
Speaker 1: I think it's people like making a handful of bad mistakes, like all on top of one another, like bad decisions, like especially being in my position, I can see how easily, like I could very easily like fuck this stuff up in like the matter of a week, Like you just have to make a few bad choices and you could send yourself backwards. So I can see how anyone could do that. And I reckon credit cards would play a huge part in it. Just people just going I'm gonna go get a ten or like personal loans, like people that go and get like a fifteen grand loan for a holiday and then they get a credit card to spend on the holiday, and like all of a sudden, they've wound up in all this debt.
Speaker 3: I think doing that would be really easy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, like they could have made some smarter decisions, But I think it's just people.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just think, like then applying for bankruptcy or whatever that would be is so drastic.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like there's maybe it's a panic.
Speaker 4: Just in Yeah, in my opinion, I'm like, aren't there a hundred other pathways you could take before bankruptcy? I'm all for if that's what you have to do, do it. I'm not trying to like victim blame and be like, you know, yeah, shut I down other things. But also at the same time, I'm like, if I was in that position and I had like, let's say, fifty thousand dollars worth of credit card debt, I'm going, what is my plan here? I would I never are like as much as I could, Like, obviously it's a last resort thing for these people, I get it, But like, I'm just thinking if I was in that position where I was like, shit, I've got no money and I've got fifty thousand dollars worth of debt, my instinct, no matter how many people said it's probably a good idea to go bankrupt and like claim bankruptcy. No matter how many people told that to me, I would still be like, no, I've got to scrape this money from somewhere, Like we get in a second job or we getting the third job, and I'm going back to the DJ drag life as well as everything else.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know, that's just me personally. I'm just like to claim because of the seven year thing, imagine not leaving the country for seven years.
Speaker 1: Well, they're probably not going to leave the country for seven years anyway because they don't have the money to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so funny. But isn't it funny that people with no money always gone somewhere? Aren't they? My friends? My friends who you're like, I've got no money, I've got no money. Yeah, there going off on a holiday every bloody die. I'm like, I thought you couldn't even come for dinner last week. Now suddenly you're in bloody Monica. Like, let's call it. What's going on? Their love?
Speaker 4: But anyway, Like, I know that some of our scrollers might have been bankrupt, and I hope that conversation didn't upset you.
Speaker 2: But I'm genuinely curious, and that's just my I think it's one of those.
Speaker 1: Things that we don't talk about or you don't hear about. You just see the word bankruptcy and you think, oh my god, that is so extreme. But look at you look it up on TikTok, because I've seen people talking about it saying it's not as bad as you think. But I don't want to say that. Don't take that as advice. But I've seen people trying to normalize it and say it's more common than you think, and it's not the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 3: But don't take that advice from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but look it up fair, I'll have to do some research. Go google Girl.
Speaker 3: Another episode done and dusted, yeap.
Speaker 2: And we got to clear up a few things. We're going to clear up a few things.
Speaker 4: Actually I was only going to clear one thing, but I'm about to throw you under the bus and clear up a couple. First of all, screen time. I think it was last week. I was saying my screen time was like four hours or something like that, and I was like, no one's gonna beat me. Hundreds of people beat me, some people with the screen time of two hours and twenty eight minutes.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I need to know more about your life?
Speaker 3: Can I aspire to be that?
Speaker 1: Like I know here at my scrollers, we're all about like fuck it, let's I'm for fifteen hours on average. But I do look at people that have like two hours screen time and think they've probably got a really clear mind.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, surely that's impossible.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they're reading.
Speaker 4: But I'm also reading and did my life shows and was hardly on my phone for the whole time and only got to four hours and four and a half hours or whatever. It was the amount of people who literally DMed me and was like, I beat your screen time, and like majority of them were three hours, a lot of them were two hours, and they were all like, what's my prize.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Let you know this shout out, shout out to you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I was gonna give them a handshake. Reckon, that's a pretty good prize. Give your handshake. Congrats if that is you.
Speaker 1: And if your screen time is like two or three hours, you need to DM us yeah and say like what are you doing all day?
Speaker 2: Just like even though I'm thinking nurses doing eighteen hour shifts, which fair good on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah bo, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Surely they're still on their phones at some point throughout the day.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Surely they're gone, I've had enough of this shit. They're gone standing in a broom closet and watching tiktoks. The page is beeping and they're gunnah too bad, I'm having me time, you know. But the other thing we wanted to clear up is was it on our close friends we were talking about our block list? Yeah, Okay, So the other day, Brittany and I were talking about if you haven't listened to the Close Friends episode, go and listen to the Close Close Friends episode about who we talk about, who's on our blocklist, and who's blocked us. So Brittany the other day spoke about an influencer who had blocked her, and the whole time she was talking.
Speaker 2: About that influencer, I was thinking of someone in particular who had blocked Brittany. The other day.
Speaker 4: We had a conversation and Brittany I mentioned the person's name, and Brittany said, that's not who I was talking about. I was talking about this other person, and I the whole time was talking about a different influencer who has also blocked Brittany, and she.
Speaker 3: That whole episode, you thought I was talking about someone else.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we never actually said because I just thought you fucking knew who I was talking about.
Speaker 2: So there's one.
Speaker 4: The one in the episode we said, has has you booked? And then I'm blocked. But the one that I was talking about has not unblocked.
Speaker 3: You too, Still blocked by that person, I think I will be forever.
Speaker 2: So the thing is a lot of people were guessing who it was and things are. I was sending dms and stuff like that, and what's what's happened though, is they're so far off. And I thought, why they so far off? It's because you're telling one story and I'm telling the other story, and our stories haven't matched, and so it's directed it in a direction that was just out of you know.
Speaker 3: So it's someone else, So everyone.
Speaker 4: Keep anyway, just thought clear that up. Thanks for listening to this episode, right, it's five stars and.
Speaker 3: All the rest of that, and we'll see you on Friday for close friends.
Speaker 2: Anyway, darl I better let you go. I think I've got a declar bankruptcy