Speaker 1: Apoche Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 3: Pokers When We're on holidays? I made my kids for the first time.
Speaker 4: Because we took the dogs away on holidays, the girls and I. So it's just the three of us now taking dogs on a holiday. It's actually more stressful than taking more kids on a holiday. That was number one, But number two was when our dogs are at home, we have enough.
Speaker 3: Land for them to when they go and do a dogg eat.
Speaker 4: Number two, we don't have to pick it up because they go off to like the bush areas in our yard and so we don't really see them or they just get mode over.
Speaker 3: Now, when we went on.
Speaker 4: This particular holiday, there was nowhere for them to do it other than like this grass area which they canntinued to do it on, but we had to pick it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you have to leave the Was it like an Airbnb?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to leave a nice Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hate it.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I did? Am I A Bad Mom? I was like, they're your dogs, you get.
Speaker 3: To pick up dog.
Speaker 2: When we agreed to get a dog, I said to the girls, we are only getting a dog if we are all going to pick up the poop. How many times you reckon they have in the last ten years?
Speaker 3: Yeah? None. Elsie, out of both of them, I thought she was going to be the one that.
Speaker 4: Was kinde of helpful with it. Else was the one that I had to sort of like, no, no, no. Gracie's done the last two pick it up, and she was like, you're such a bad mum making us do it. Why don't you do it? You could do it too.
Speaker 1: They're your dogs and my girls.
Speaker 2: If I've asked them to do something like that, they'll look at me and go, what are you doing? Yeah, like, I do nothing else.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: I hid behind this one, Katie because I genuinely like, unless I'm on the street and I have to put on a front, which happened a few times because we are, and Grazie's like, mom, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: And I was like, I have to pick it up.
Speaker 4: I would pick it up, but then I'm almost dry reaching doing it. Honestly, it's just not my jam. I mean, I don't know whose jam it is to pick up dog boo. But Gracie was great with it. Elsie not so much. But there were so many times where you know, we say it every week in and week out.
Speaker 3: Am I bad mum?
Speaker 4: My kids were turning on me and you are such a bad mum making us pick up dog poop.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'll get a grip.
Speaker 1: It's resilient building, pick.
Speaker 3: This shit up. Let's keep moving.
Speaker 2: My mad mum for wanting to force them. I remember a while ago we had.
Speaker 3: A nutritionist it's not the word dietitian.
Speaker 2: Dietitian yeah yeah, on the podcast yeah, and we were talking about kids' food habits and what we should and shouldn't be doing with them. So one of the things she said was we should never be Everything she said not to do was pretty much what I did do for many years and probably still do, which was you shouldn't make your kids sit there and force them to eat. Certainly, for example, if they're not eating vegetables, she should all show that you're all having vegetables, have it there for them to choose. And her theory was at some point, if they see you eating that stuff, they will eat it. I mean, how is that going for you with Elsie?
Speaker 1: Not very well?
Speaker 4: No? Well, I took that on board with what she said because I thought, oh yeah, because she sort of said like, it's almost like you put all of the food out for you to be able to get your own serving and do that because then they watch and learn from that.
Speaker 3: Totally respect and agree.
Speaker 4: I though, still had that little piece of going like, that's the bowl of broccoli, you need two pieces on your plate.
Speaker 3: She'd serve it up.
Speaker 4: That's all good, and it has been okay with broccoli and with all the select vegetables she does eat. But otherwise, like if I put a bowl of spinach out that she don't get eaten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I had the same thing with me because my girls are not and I would be like, you will sit there until you've had.
Speaker 1: One piece of chicken.
Speaker 2: I did everything I did the whole You'll have it in your lunchbox tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You'll sit there all.
Speaker 2: Night long until you've eaten it. She was also saying this. Dietitian was also saying that never used dessert as a reward, and I would do exactly that. You're not having ice cream if you don't eat dinner.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this story continues around my bad habits as a parent with forcing my kids to eat their dinner.
Speaker 3: In that so I worked a little bit on board, but then I didn't really.
Speaker 2: So we were out for lunch and we were in this particular restaurant, just like a pub restaurant, anything fancy, and the girls ordered a pizza. It wasn't super fancy, but it was still on the more expensive side of pub food, I felt like.
Speaker 1: And they ate half the pizza, I would say, and.
Speaker 2: Then they had some other little bits as well, and I was fine with them not eating the last bits of pizza. However, the lady, the waitress, came around and she went, oh, would you like a doggy bag? See can take that away, and Holly turned around straight away, didn't even think about it when I thank you.
Speaker 1: For some reason, it.
Speaker 2: Really bothered me, like there was something inside me that was really triggered, because immediately I went, of course she doesn't because she didn't pay for it. Oh, I was just gonna say, of course, she doesn't give a shit, just throw it away and then we'll buy another one when she's hungry later. It just really irritated me that that was said, because it was just felt like for me, a complete lack of understanding of that was my money that paid for that pizza. Yeah, I hate waste, and I you know, I'm not leaving a fine dining restaurant with a doggie bag.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I I'm completely the same.
Speaker 2: I would be embarrassed to do that. However, this was a situation where the waitress offered, and.
Speaker 1: You know just what people do, and in my mind I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's great, we're gonna take that in a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: Time get a little hungry.
Speaker 1: When you're hungry, you can have a pizza. We can heat up.
Speaker 2: But no, turn the nose down at it, like, no, I don't want leftovers. I don't want to take leftovers. Let a big leftovers fan. I'm like, no, we can absolutely have another meal out of that tomorrow. Love not being wasteful.
Speaker 4: I'm a one day after leftovers kind of girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but anything further, I'm like, dogs will have.
Speaker 2: That unless it's Christmas ham in which yeah, weeks things that she'll eat the next day.
Speaker 3: Absolutely Otherwise I'm like no. Now the pizza situation, I.
Speaker 4: Would have one hundred percent done because that is so transferable to like can eat it hot, you can eat it cold.
Speaker 2: And there's a vegetarian pizzasfoo.
Speaker 3: So it doesn't really like it's not going to be I reckon.
Speaker 4: It would have been a little bit to do with like your distaste would have been a little bit to do with, yes, wasting food because I know that you it's not your jam, but it would have been are along the lines of her dismissive behavior.
Speaker 2: It was the same kind of feeling I get when you make a lunch box for them to take to school and then you watch them at the end of the day empty it out and just throw it.
Speaker 1: In the bin.
Speaker 2: Stuff that's unopened, stuff that hasn't even been.
Speaker 1: A little bit eaten, apple straight in the bin.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I've gone to the shop yesterday and I have spent money that I have earned on this stuff.
Speaker 1: To watch you throw it in the bin.
Speaker 2: Oh, it makes me wild.
Speaker 4: The same with though exactly so situation. But like not an apple or the yogurts had to have these yogurts had to have them, must go my lunch box. I'm definitely gonna eat it. Three point thirty lunch box is warm because the cold backs have gone gross. You can't return that back to the fridge.
Speaker 3: You were a wasteful little shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why did you waste this?
Speaker 3: You had to have it this morning.
Speaker 2: Because we didn't pay for it, so we don't give a shit about your money.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: That is one of my erks is when the lunch box comes home and it's three quarters full and I put extra cold packs in now just for that reason of like, I don't give a shit, sit down and eat that.
Speaker 3: If you're hungry, now, I eat it.
Speaker 4: I'll give or take if there's ham in the seat, like you know, and the ham looks a bit warm. I'm not dealing with the repercussions of that or hot yogurt, but in terms.
Speaker 3: Of everything else, Yeah, if you're hungry, now I eat it.
Speaker 4: And then that whole going back to like just say, for instance, with that pizza someone was telling me about, like, yes, you shouldn't make them sit at the dinner table until they've finished it all, because then they get to that uncomfortable stage of feeling uncomfortable and then it sort of has a repercussion sort of like a ripple effect from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's all that stuff around, all that stuff portion control and overeating, and they should be able to tell you when I mean it's a fine line, because they will tell you that they're full because they don't want to eat any more broccoli.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the difference of that and someone it's been interesting that you bring it up now. It was like in the last couple of days, there's been two or three people like talk about it to me and go. If you can sit here and you definitely have checked in it and you are way too full, you need to know that this will be your last meal until tomorrow morning, like night, and then that will be that until breakfast. There will be nothing in between the kitchen.
Speaker 3: It's a small board.
Speaker 4: You don't just go in there and help yourself whenever when I've done a cooked you a meal with all the things that we're meant to be putting into our body for all the right reasons.
Speaker 3: If you are.
Speaker 4: Genuinely, absolutely exhausted to the point that your stomach cannot take any more, then absolutely go. But just know that decision is that you're walking away from this table and tomorrow morning for breakfast, that's when we'll have the next meal. And it's worked for a couple of the families that I was talking to about it, because I've had to somewhat revisit it with both of my girls because over the holidays, the rains get loosened a little bit. It's not as tight through the like routine as such and all the rest, and so they've sort of almost like regressed with it and gone, yeah, no I'm not hungry. Oh no, I'm full now, but like within thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Oh can I have that pudding? Can I have that ice cream? Nah? You can't, So like, just suit, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: See at the table.
Speaker 3: I don't want to eat.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on it. Well, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 3: Chew the food for you?
Speaker 4: Now? Oh you're only nearly a teenager, but I'll chew the food for you so that you can like no, one's too tired.
Speaker 2: I'll say to my girls, whiche have for breakfast this morning? And they're like really caty about it. I'm like, what did you have? Bag shapes?
Speaker 3: So lazy?
Speaker 2: I'm like, there's plenty of stuff that you can make. They'll say, what can we have for lunch? And I'll go, Okay, there's bread in the bread bin. You can make a sandwich, you could do a toasty, there's wraps, there's caesar.
Speaker 1: Salad, there's blah blah blah blah blah, I'll go through all the options.
Speaker 2: Holly laughs at me, and it's like okay, she all look in the fridge and go there's nothing to beat.
Speaker 4: I know. I thought of you actually when I was slicing off cheese from the block and I was like.
Speaker 3: This is so much passable on a few cheese and crackers.
Speaker 2: Slice the cheese, the cheese pre packed. That's a really lazy way, cheese and crackers.
Speaker 3: Rachel